• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
So how good is Fox in teams? And what do you guys find is the best role for Fox in teams (ex. camper, tank, aggressor, etc)

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
From my experience, Fox has been great in teams. One of the things I like most is that he can constantly switch rolls from camper to aggressor and so on depending on what's needed. I've usually teamed with ROB's and Snake's, but a few times found a lot of success in my DK Fox team, although I usually go Wolf in that.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
in teams fox should be racking up the damage when there at lower percents,playing defensive and supporting teammate til they get to high % and using usmash to get qucik k.os at high %s...he does very good at both supporting and carrying a team so hes a very solid doubles partner

recommended partners : mk,gw,olimar,d3

Acex27

Smash Apprentice
THIS IS NOT TRUE. You will die vertically if you try to shine (the effect isn't as great as it is horizontally though, at least from what I can measure).
I thought there was a thread that Rookie put up earlier about using a B-reverse shine to cancel your momentum earlier. Has that been disproven?

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Toronto Joe, what is your strategy for the Fox and GW team? My partner is a GW and the only thing I have really seen as a good team tactic is SHTL to fill bucket in one go. Are there other things that make Fox and GW mesh well?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I don't like the team - they're both light and don't have anything that particularly complements the other.

Also, it's better for G&W to have an empty bucket to bucket break, since lasers are relatively weak.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
well me and cyan had amazing chemistry for that team...took matches off ambrose/king ace/jl/hype/fool/niko k/doc/lain/noj etc and did fairly well against Ally/Holy...maybe it was just a special love connection we had idk

basically your always close to the GW,following up his moves and getting grabs in on the oppnt so he can get quick running usmashes...as for bucket the most effective way to fill vs everyone except Mks(theyll gimp that azz) would be he would jump off stage bucket and id do like 6 lasers out of my fullhop to ensure he was filled(we'd only do this if he was at low % or ahead in stocks)id have complete freedom to use w.e move i wanted since i wasnt needed to kill, so id use usmash offensively and not worry about my moves getting stale(GW is just nasty at killing), there was never a "seperate and attack 1v1" thing,both of us would attack together,and save one another when we needed each other(GWs uair is awesome for saving Foxs recovery btw, get u and your partner to practice that)

really i think it all depends on what your comfortable with, but i really enjoyed the Fox/Gw pair

let me see if i can find the post i made about that team(found it, not sure if this info is still useful since i havent followed Gw/Foxs doubles metagame in a while)

after getting some offline practice with my teammate ive come to this conclusion, feel free to add to what i got so far

Fox needs to move around the stage to be successful(well mine anyways) and since in 2v2 its hard to maneuver around, to make up for this i always make sure that im never sealed up in one area and i have the room to make the match go wherever i feel like.

Fox is a character best suited to complement his teammate, wait for the right situation then go in an attack. Set-up yourself up to be there when your opponent finishes his attack

Fox has a predictable approach, make up for this by switching who your attacking and where you attack them

Usmash is a reliable and effective way to get a fast k,o without worrying about getting punished

Fox can cover both the air and ground portion in teams, focus on either or and let your opponent worry about the other

You cant be your typical aggressive Fox in teams, we cannot stress patience!

Things that apply to Fox/GAW

GAW can use his uair to give you a push in the air, making it much easier to survive after being knocked back far

Some GAW/Fox Combos

Turtle --> every aerial
GAW dtilt ----> usmash
Either chars jab ---> usmash
Fishbowl ---> Bair
Key ---> Dair (THIS TAKES VERY GOOD TIMING BUT IT CAN BE LINKED CONTINUOSLY)

Theres so many combos to list so im going to stop with that said

-Cross-

Smash Ace
lol two differing opinions. Thanks for the tips Joe. I guess I'm going to have to build a good team coordination to make it work. And fully charged bucket goes through Nado, correct?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I seriously think Fox is good as a teammate for ANY good zoning character...

My favorite person to team with, in terms of results, is a Samus player, Rohins...

The zoning character limits the stage space, and Fox's maneuverability can really work wonders against already pressured opponents... then, if one of the opponents tries to grab Fox or whatever, partner comes in and saves the day.

The zoning character should also do quite a bit of damage fairly safely... and the added pressure really allows fox to just run around and usmash rolls, landings, dodges, attacks on his partner, etc.

It's really not all that uncommon for me to have 6 KOs at the end of a teams match, simply by cleaning up for a zoning character..

About GW, he is light, yes... but fits the bill as a good zoning character, so I could see how that would work...especially since he can kill as well...

Olimar is a great teammate for Fox for similar reasons. marth, Luigi, Samus, etc are all good for him.

Zephil

Smash Ace
my partner is a marth player and the team works great!! Fox in genereal is a complete char in team so is a good with many chars but Fox don´t do a good team with spacies so nothing of Fox-Falco teams or worse Wolf-Fox

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this has been addressed, but do we have any more detail on the momentum cancelling reversed shine?

I've been attempting it but i just cant seem to get it.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
hello everyone

fox is very fun

just added him to my final 3 characters to use as mains

quick question: what options do I have after dair and is there a certain way to cancel lag? Cause every time I try it my opponent shields what I attempt afterwards.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Most of the time you can use a jab, and that can lead into double jab cancel or into a grab or something, and even if they shield you have a frame advantage i think.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
If they shield usually it's because you aren't buffering the next action quickly enough. Other reasons are if they SDI like crazy or they are at low %'s, but usually it's just the buffering thing

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
At low percents grab. Most of the time you can only get 1 utilt before they powershield it and grab you. If you can't get a grab, its ok to just roll away. At mid percents you are almost guaranteed a utilt and then at later percents you get dair and usmash

Player-3

Smash Hero
so from now on everytime i land a kill im going to AC uairs across the stage

training mooodeee

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
Also good is Snake. I think. That's who I use, anyway. Covers the IC, the Sheik, and the MK pretty well. I don't know how he fairs against Pikachu, but Marth is almost deffinatly a better choice then Snake in that match up ratio wise.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Not too sure about Toon Link, I think he does okay against Pikachu and Sheik, iirc he wins against the ICs.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
lol i figured. I was talkin to a friend and he was curious about some match-ups regarding fox. I told him to pray he gets a win cuz fox has a lot of bad match ups against most-used characters. Toon link would be a viable secondary but he doesn't fair well against shiek. Shiek=Anti-Fox?

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
GW is a good choice also, seeing how easy it is to play him and he covers foxs bad matchups...idc if any GW mains who take themselves seriously read this, that char can be mastered in a week lol

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Hey foxes, heh I main your arch enemy wolf, but today I just felt like using fox. I got him to be near my wolf's level today... strange. Whatever.
Oh yeah ps, Toronto Joe, Im the kid who posted on yer AIB...

GnW is so limited though....

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
lol i figured. I was talkin to a friend and he was curious about some match-ups regarding fox. I told him to pray he gets a win cuz fox has a lot of bad match ups against most-used characters. Toon link would be a viable secondary but he doesn't fair well against shiek. Shiek=Anti-Fox?
Sheik wins the matchup by a big margin, but Ice Climbers and Pikachu are far worse. Sheik's not THAT bad actually.
If you can find someone to cover those 3 matchups, you'd be fairly safe, though. Fox still has a few disadvantaged matchups, but most of them are winnable.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
Sheik wins the matchup by a big margin, but Ice Climbers and Pikachu are far worse. Sheik's not THAT bad actually.
If you can find someone to cover those 3 matchups, you'd be fairly safe, though. Fox still has a few disadvantaged matchups, but most of them are winnable.
Really cuz the match-up IS winnable but even then the margin is kinda huge lol. If you play it right its an instant 80+ damage omn fox, heck even more. That's enough to have Fox behind in any match.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
MK is a good second.... cuz.... well its MK.

Seriously though, G&W or Snake imo. Bot higher tiers, good characters overall, few bad matchups.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I haven't lurked at the fox boards for a while, and you guys got a lot more ppl now.. I kinda dropped fox after i got my butt handed to me by a ROB in UAlbany, NY, but I want to pick him up again and find out why it was that i lost. I know the reasons, i think: I didn't camp at all, i approached all the time and he just kept effing me up with dsmash Out of shield; as soon as i hit his shield with either a dash attack, dair, or nair, he'd either grab or dsmash. Only. He got me bad. I got one kill off on him only. He two stocked me on final dest... I want to pick up fox again, but I really really want to know how to go about this match. Lasers? Wait for his approaches? I mean, he's got a lot of camp options there, should i still try to out camp the guy? And do you guys have a match up discussion for ROB? I looked but couldn't find it. I don't know why, but i can't seem to access old threads on any character page. There's only like 23 threads i can access, the 23 recent ones. Ive been here for a while, and im still such a noob.. The old threads just seem to... disappear. I hope im making sense, cause it's been bothering me for a while now. Ive seen old threads get bumped, so i know they're there...

But yea guys, if you could link me to that, or tell me how to access the old threads for the other match ups on here, cause im sure you've done ROB already, that'd be great. Or any suggestions for ROB in general? I mean, that used to be my play style, VERY aggressive, in your face fox that never camped and always approached. I think that was my downfall.. Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Really cuz the match-up IS winnable but even then the margin is kinda huge lol. If you play it right its an instant 80+ damage omn fox, heck even more. That's enough to have Fox behind in any match.
Fox has ways around the locks, although they are not overly effective.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
just be patient vs rob, camp and reflect his projectiles then work inside his defense...retreating sh fair,spaced bairs(bair can combo into utilt at low %),aerials out of your shine stall etc will help bait him out of that sheild...be patient in the air, wait for rob to do a move then attack him because he can stop you in your tracks with his aerials or simply just up-b out of your reach...i too have been beat by robs sheild game,its just you being too aggressive and not approaching in the safest/smartest way

you can also try and catch rob offgaurd with a sh uair into utilt/dsmash/usmash at around 0-30ish % since hes so tall its easier to hit with,but dont try it often as its not the safest/smartest way to approach xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom