• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

Smash Journeyman
Jump shines. How do you do them? I mean like what's the best finger movement to perform it? I try sliding my thumb from the Y button to the B button but im still too slow. Same thing goes for short hop triple laser.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I played fox against a group of friends today in free for all. I found it very difficult to handle the numbers. Is Fox a bad free for all character or is there something I am not trying? Any suggestions?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Alright, so I played fox against a group of friends today in free for all. I found it very difficult to handle the numbers. Is Fox a bad free for all character or is there something I am not trying? Any suggestions?
Do not play Fox in FFAs. He is light and gets *****.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
Do not play Fox in FFAs. He is light and gets *****.
Dang, I was kind of hoping for something like... "You just need to do this and this to do well"

I figured as much myself, he is light for sure and the other players seemed to pretty much dominate me when I played him.

Thanks for the info Zhamy.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
FFA's have about as much worth as trophies. [probably a bad comparison] Don't waste your time trying to analyze and adapt strategies for it. Such effort is better spent elsewhere [1 v. 1's, where it counts]
...unless you enjoy FFA's more and play them more often.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
why does fox have a wind effect at the end of his rapid kick? is it useful anyway that would be applicable?

kinda serious question

Zhamy

Smash Champion
It's like how Falco has a "wind box" at the end of his jabs. No idea why it's there, but Falco's is much better than Fox's, and really, I have not found a use for it.

(Watch, a few days from now, someone is going to turn this into a ridiculous AT.)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
How to get past Kirby's uptilt? It renders any sort of aerial approach useless, and it either beats out or clanks with all of Fox's ground attacks.
>_>
<_<

Zhamy

Smash Champion
How to get past Kirby's uptilt? It renders any sort of aerial approach useless, and it either beats out or clanks with all of Fox's ground attacks.
>_>
<_<
Grab?
Shoot lasers?
Crossup Bair?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Grab?
Shoot lasers?
Crossup Bair?
This is what my opponent will do (imagine Yoshi's Island):

He'll sit still, back turned at me, and wait for me to do 1 of 2 things.
1. SHDL- not very punishable, but we're in close proximity so my options are still real limited after I do it. Kirby can run forward and... do stuff. So far this has been my best bet. If he runs at me, he's not standing still so I'm pretty safe to do a short hopped dair/nair or something.

2. Attack- if I do this he'll just uptilt. It beats out all aerials (including bairs). It will beat out grabbing, dash attacking, upsmashing, clank with fsmashing, etc.

I can easily time a dash attack or running upsmash in between consecutive uptilts, but he's got to do at least 2 of them in a row before I can react to it and then run at him. That's when he'll either use a rising bair/fair, running grab, fsmash, etc.

If I full jump anything, it's uptilt time. I can bait uptilts easily after I jump, but I don't have any punishment options for it.
AD->fsmash clanks and he can dtilt afterwards->trip->grab or something.
Uptilt is too fast for me to AD into him->shieldgrab.
If he predicts me full hopping->anything other than dair, he can run->shield->grab, fsmash, or bair.

Choosing from my limited options makes me pretty predictable. I guess I just don't understand how to approach? >_>

Running away lasering is all I've been able to do. The damage isn't much though. Vids of my new Fox maybe?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Vids of my new Fox maybe?
I feel like this would help a lot. I never seem to have that much trouble from Kirby, especially not one move (and even more so not Utilt). And I guarantee it does not beat out grabbing if you're doing it correctly.

Have you tried PWGs? It also seems like you need more short hops. Actually, if you look for some of Bowyer's Fox videos (since I think his spacing is fantastic), you'll see how he baits with fullhops and double jumps. I personally prefer to bait with short hops (empty and spaced Nair/Bair), but it's really preference.

Also, dashing shield to get in works too. Just run and shield - since he's facing away, the only thing he can really do is...more Utilt.

As far as crossup Bairs go, SHAD right over the Utilt and hit him in the face with a Bair. It's pretty strict timing, but it seems like you're getting caught in relatively predictable things.

Of course, you could play the gayest Fox ever and just laser/Utilt as well. (Since Fox's Utilt is pretty ridiculous.) I say if your opponent is being dumb, you have the same right.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I have been doinng some thinking and I need others input.
subject= why did Sheik and Fox both drop so much on the teir list between Melee and Brawl.

What I came to for Sheik is:
Sheik has not really changed... the games has. Less knock back, hit stun and longer throw length's have really hurt some characters... like Sheik.
Sheik however is pretty good in Brawl. She can combo which is a rare thing, she can DACUS, she can do crazy stuff with her chain and she can himp pretty well. She basically just lost her CG... well and a lot of old combo's.... but gained new ones.
All in all... she is just harder to use.. and not the same as she was in Melee. So she has been largely overlooked.
(the thing that gets me is that she has almost no weakness's accept for her recovery.... some what)

Now I am still trying to figure Fox out. I alt him and I still can't find out what makes him bad.. rather than a few match ups. I think what hurt him the most is the fact that he is completely different than SSBM Fox. IMO he is more like SSB64 Fox (well.. not exactly... but he's closer to him than SSBM Fox).
help please

ps Why don't I see more Fox's using u-tilt> Dair> u-tilt> Dair> finisher of some kind?
It was epic in SSB64 and it still works in Brawl.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
ps Why don't I see more Fox's using u-tilt> Dair> u-tilt> Dair> finisher of some kind?
It was epic in SSB64 and it still works in Brawl
Because this doesn't work in Brawl and whoever you're trying that on sucks at this game.

Also, the tier list sucks, and if you can't figure out where Fox's strengths and weaknesses are, you need to play him more - it's pretty difficult to not see where he got weaker and stronger. (Not to mention your analysis of Sheik is pretty awful and wrong as well.)

saviorslegacy

Because this doesn't work in Brawl and whoever you're trying that on sucks at this game.

Also, the tier list sucks, and if you can't figure out where Fox's strengths and weaknesses are, you need to play him more - it's pretty difficult to not see where he got weaker and stronger. (Not to mention your analysis of Sheik is pretty awful and wrong as well.)
:( Is it seriously that hard for people to give straight answers and not be a smart ***?

Well sorry... I knew that with good DI they could get out of it but I ddin't know that it just up and didn't work.

Oh golly... maybe I don't use him all of the time.

What was wrong with my Sheik analysis? Most of the other Sheik mains that I talk to feel the same way.

Sheik= combo king that can kill under 100% easily

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
:( Is it seriously that hard for people to give straight answers and not be a smart ***?
stop whining. thx :)

Oh golly... maybe I don't use him all of the time.
lol, play better people then?

What was wrong with my Sheik analysis? Most of the other Sheik mains that I talk to feel the same way.

Sheik= combo king that can kill under 100% easily
1) Most sheik mains are bad
2) Sheik definitely has a decent amount of weaknesses and doesn't kill under 100% very easily, especially if you can't combo into upsmash from ftilt cause your opponent's at too high of a percent or you didn't stale it right.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
well the other night I was messing around with the falling illusion and found the perfect way to pull it off everytime.

Go to any ledge, including platform ledges, and dash towards the edge so that fox has the dash animaiton but isnt actually going anywhere. and while he is still in the dash animation, illusion towards the stage and you should fall while illusioning right into catching the ledge.

its stupid easy and looks preffy cool, plus it might have some uses since indstead of autohugging and just getting the invincability frames,a you can fall with a illusion hitbox and then get the invincability frames.

but meh, it might just be another pointless tech thing but o well. i think it looks cool enough to just randomly do :p

saviorslegacy

stop whining. thx :)

lol, play better people then?

1) Most sheik mains are bad
2) Sheik definitely has a decent amount of weaknesses and doesn't kill under 100% very easily, especially if you can't combo into upsmash from ftilt cause your opponent's at too high of a percent or you didn't stale it right.
#1 stop being a ******. Just fyi.. that was not whining. (I know a dude that takes everything like that as whinning... everyone thinks he is an ***... so I guess you are in his leage.)

#2 Reread the sentence.
Oh golly (a smart *** comment)... maybe I don't use him (him meaning Fox) all of the time (meaning not often).
How did I refer to who I play?

#3 Does Tristan, <3 and your buddy Ankoku count as sucky people?

#4 FU (f-tilt USmash) kills under 100# and it is actually easy to use. Most Sheiks do it a lot.
Easy IMO. Just make sure you done the f-tilt lock, then hit them with a airial/jab/just f-tilt (bringing them to the proper damage for the arials) and finish with FU.)
Before you say it is really hard... this is what else I am doing with Smash Decay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5tuTxpwIY

I am getting real tired of Smash Nerds. If it isn't bad enough that SSBB doesn't have combo's you have a community that is quick to flame unless you have won several tournies. -_-

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Lol the trolling have officially been aborted.

Do we use any glitches Fox mains? From what I can tell everything is pretty common knowledge that I don't consider gliches.

Does canceling count as a glitch?

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Yes, we call it FLAMEDASH.
... there are many other fox glitches people haven't taken the time to discover yet.

That, or I haven't read enough the fox forums yet.
You're ruining my trolling. :(
Lol the trolling have officially been aborted.

Do we use any glitches Fox mains? From what I can tell everything is pretty common knowledge that I don't consider gliches.

Does canceling count as a glitch?
the thing of having 2 shine animations on a JC shine is a glitch, but having to reflectors up itsnt exactly usefull :p
im a troll god, mmmhhwahahahahaha R00kie for Prez XDXD

Fuego Fox

Smash Journeyman
How you force a char to immediately release you from the grab or is it a glitch that sometimes happens?

Also what is the correct way to pull flamedash off and rookie ive been jjc like a beast since u helped me out my d3 friends are pissed.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
ok i know this answer is probably somewhere else on this thread IM JUST TO LAZY TO READ IT! what is a flamedash? even after watching that vid i dont get it??? you get an aerial boost that you can attack out of from a canceled fireFOx? is that it?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Its seriously just hitting a slanted hill with firefox and having a sliding animaiton you can use with smash attacks.

I'm thinking it was found out by some scub a long time ago and he thought is was like the best thing ever and named it FLAMEDASH, but since its in reality prety **** useless it just became this huge *** stupid joke that actually needs to die

>.>

P.S. o ya, i went there

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Its seriously just hitting a slanted hill with firefox and having a sliding animaiton you can use with smash attacks.

I'm thinking it was found out by some scub a long time ago and he thought is was like the best thing ever and named it FLAMEDASH, but since its in reality prety **** useless it just became this huge *** stupid joke that actually needs to die

>.>

P.S. o ya, i went there
If anything tho Flamedash would be best used on Corneria

DarkAura

Smash Lord
ah i see so it's pretty much useless lol.... 1more question. i have the turbo button on my controller and i find it easy to use for neutral B and i can do SHTLs better with it but its kinda sticky and gets in the way... should i use it or not?

Top Bottom