• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Here's my question: I'm an original Peach mainer who seconds Shiek. I would like to make Fox my second secondary character. However, Sheik and Fox gameplay is rather similar in the base roots of playstyle. What real big aspect of gameplay/strategy/kill move strategy, etc. does Fox have that Sheik doesn't?

Vader

Smash Rookie
About how long should a fox with above average DI normally last?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
What real big aspect of gameplay/strategy/kill move strategy, etc. does Fox have that Sheik doesn't?
A ridiculously good bait and punish game, a much "faster" playstyle, an overall more useful and more situation-covering moveset (for an optimal style of play), and Usmash. It's not really easy to compare the two characters.

About how long should a fox with above average DI normally last?
I usually hit 130 before I die, but it depends on matchup and skill of opponent.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Fox has an Utilt lock on most characters in the game. It lasts longer on characters with fast fall speeds (Other Spacies) and fatties (D3, Snake, DK, Ganon, etc.) Dair > Utilt is a good way to catch someone.
It's not a lock a good player could perfect shield the utilt after the dair and easily DI out of the Utilt, and Marth and MK's Upb kills that string

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
lol which reminds me. Fighting marths has been easier for me =3 . I just cant handle ROBS. Any tips on this matchup since ive been reading....kind of helps but...need more info

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Outcamp him, plain and simple. You can deal damage faster than he can, and ROB has much more difficulty once you shut down his camping/defensive game. After that, it's just a matter of good spacing and bait/punish. Don't get hit by Dtilt, DI out of Dsmash, watch out for Nair/Bair/Dair, and you should be okay. Don't try for gimps, except maybe weak Nair and Bair.

But really, just outcamp him and bait/punish.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
An other fox main friend of mine figured this out.

I don't know if this is known at all, but on certain characters you CAN have a TRUE combo from the shine.

Take bowser for example, at very low %s like 0-20% you can shine then instant dash attack, and it will be a true combo, i've tested in training mode.

this is still pretty useless since the dash attack cool down is long enough for them to counter attack,
BUT STILL.

I actually made a video on it, heres the link for those i havnt shown already :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdF1lynzHE

*throws object at whoever said the shine can never combo into anything*

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Quick (and perhaps stupid, but I can't test it myself right now) question:

On the ROB boards I read that Fox can ''curve'' his up-B. I can't fully understand what they mean by this, since I've NEVER seen Firefox curve in any way. This is probably a n00b question.

Lezz21

Smash Rookie
can any one give me the match up guide to how to beat mario on final destination.... mario head butt is kill me when i use fox

Zhamy

Smash Champion
can any one give me the match up guide to how to beat mario on final destination.... mario head butt is kill me when i use fox
Use the "Shield" button.

Orrax

Smash Rookie
Can drill->shine work to catch people trying to shield grab you? Or will their grab go active before the shine even begins?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Grab is "invincible" during the animation, so Shining will not work. This isn't Melee anymore.

Orrax

Smash Rookie
Grab is "invincible" during the animation, so Shining will not work. This isn't Melee anymore.
Please pardon my ignorance of Brawl's mechanics, but in what way is it "invincible"?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Basically, the grab has a number of frames where it'll go through any other moves. Combine this with negative frame advantage (if your attack is shielded, your opponent will be able to act before you) and the fact that the shine comes out on frame 3, and it's obvious the grab will go through the shine, if not simply come out before the shine does.

Think of it this way: Shine comes out on the same frame as Utilt. If you can't hit with an Utilt, you can't hit with a shine.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Did you know...

that when Fox does a SH shine, hitting the C-stick down will get you on the ground faster then a FF due to the inputing a dair and being cancelled out.

just wondering if the Fox boards knew thats all...

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
hey why is it that like some times when you are recovering with fire fox and you go against a wall you move away from it like

x- fox
_____ -stage
\
from (dont mind the dots had to put them there to get the picture right
..________
x\
to
..._______
x-\

i find that to do it you have to like hit up b then like imidiatly hit right or left like the illusion attack. it looks lind like you are getting hit away by a wind box attack if that helps

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
hey why is it that like some times when you are recovering with fire fox and you go against a wall you move away from it like

x- fox
_____ -stage
\
from (dont mind the dots had to put them there to get the picture right
..________
x\
to
..._______
x-\

i find that to do it you have to like hit up b then like imidiatly hit right or left like the illusion attack. it looks lind like you are getting hit away by a wind box attack if that helps
You can slightly curve the start of Fire Fox.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
fight better people and learn the basics.
Fox doesnt have any killer tech or super combos, hes just extremely balanced and you just have to be a good player to be good at him.

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
What is the best way to get better with fox?
the way i got better with fox is playing online, but thats my way personally. if you want to get good with fox, just play CPUs or friends that are better than you. i got better by fighting overswarm, whos a really good meta. but just try to focus on getting all his moves down, especially foxs utilt, up smash, grabs, fairs, nairs, etc. also look out for combo videos on you tube! i could send you one of my fights to give a good example if you like!

Zhamy

Smash Champion
What is the best way to get better with fox?
Careful, observed practice. Getting better is a matter of playing a lot and being able to analyze your plays and realize what you're doing wrong. It could be something technical (you can't SHDL consistently, so you practice that) or something strategical (you always roll after X, you don't know all of your options for Y, you don't understand the matchup for Z).

It's like learning anything else. Practice, practice, practice.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I never did get these questions answered, they might need testing.

1. Despite being near impossible to do on a human, does the Ftilt lock work? With DI.

2. SH Fair + DJ Fair gives Fox some sort of superjump. I'm positive someone already discovered this. Why is this?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I never did get these questions answered, they might need testing.

1. Despite being near impossible to do on a human, does the Ftilt lock work? With DI.

2. SH Fair + DJ Fair gives Fox some sort of superjump. I'm positive someone already discovered this. Why is this?
1. I've seen it done before in a fight so yes.

2. it's because the fair gives a slight upward momentum boost, so even if your fast falling using a fair will slow you down just a bit. And when used with upward momentum you already have it adds together to give a super jump.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Even you dont make the ture combo from Nair to Usmash/Bair to Usmash it's a good frame trap right?
Also I think you can do a three hit kill combo. Nair>Shine>Usmash I almost got it down., well I at least I think it's possible. I just haven't learned to Shine> Usmash yet.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Even you dont make the ture combo from Nair to Usmash/Bair to Usmash it's a good frame trap right?
Also I think you can do a three hit kill combo. Nair>Shine>Usmash I almost got it down., well I at least I think it's possible. I just haven't learned to Shine> Usmash yet.
the nair to up-smash even if they air dodge it you can just slide the up-smash and wait for them to get out and it will combo just fine, the bair to up-smash is a little harder to hit if it isnt true combo.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
the nair to up-smash even if they air dodge it you can just slide the up-smash and wait for them to get out and it will combo just fine, the bair to up-smash is a little harder to hit if it isnt true combo.
Ok cool but what about the Nair>Shine>Usmash? Is that a true combo?

Top Bottom