• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
PJ's kinda right though in one regard.

People like Illmatic, himself, and I really stand no chance at topping the big four in Texas unless we do something ridiculous, or sacrifice all the work we've put into our characters to opt for a better match up. I don't care what anyone says about, "you just need to try harder," "get better," or any other ridiculous, naive, helpless sentiment. No amount of hard work will ever make up for the gap created by character specific match ups. If there's a flaw, the top players will abuse it to its fullest (which isn't a bad thing. They're playing to win. It's good that they do that), and there's only so much we can do perfectly to avoid that manipulation.

As a Sonic main, I can completely relate to PJ in some way, and I'm damn sure most other mid-tier/low-tier mains can agree on that to some extent. :applejack:

BioDG

Smash Ace
He makes some good points. It's too bad he won't be with us like he used to, but things can only move up after putting this game on the back burner.

That's sort of what I try to do regarding this game: not trying to give up too much just to play it (hence why I don't travel or even go somewhere as close as SA). I think the game is fun, which has been enough to keep me sticking around in my own way.

I hope I'm not getting too hasty on this, but I don't think we have to submit our lives to the game just to beat the greatest TX players (I agree with the character thing, though). Assuming we have a competent character (I guess), it just requires finding our most fundamental problems quickly and figuring out how to work through them (which can at times elude us for awhile during training). We may never beat "them", but should that have been the point in the first place? Should be more about the journey and personal enjoyment, imo.

This isn't directed at anyone. Just a few thoughts I've always had regarding competitive brawl.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
. We may never beat "them", but should that have been the point in the first place? Should be more about the journey and personal enjoyment, imo.

This isn't directed at anyone. Just a few thoughts I've always had regarding competitive brawl.
Nothing personal toward Trela, Razer gnes, but Im going to beat you in tourney before this game fully dies or at least before 2013. Im not wasting all my time and money going to tourneys all over for nothing. thats my journey :bee:

and nothing personal towards Bio, but Texas needs balls again.

sheikamaru

jive
Well Jrugs, you've got the arsenal to do that too.

Pretty sure they'll read your comment and chuckle to themselves lol

Hurry up and come to Houston please

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Im back sir and any one want to play today!? :)
Oh and idc if they chuckle its still gonna happen. Maybe at a Hobo or at an oos tourney its still gonna happen. sync was once in f-tier he didnt say bohoo im never gonna beat any of the top 4. Like I said bad char, good char, ok char, not so ok char, Texas needs balls again.

Edit: for god sake Bio beat razer, even though it was @ a BN and razer went ic's its still something. the top 4 are not gods they can loose

Jrugs

Smash Ace
unfortunately for me that not so easy, there's a long line for my character's top 5 spot :(

sheikamaru

jive
It's never easy to begin with dawg. And what part of Houston do u stay at?

And I'm not sure when I'll throw in the towel lol

"aim high, not for the impossible"

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The only time the show has ANY continuity is on the premieres and finales.
You can seriously watch Season 2 in ANY order save for the first two and final two episodes, and you wouldn't miss a single thing.

The show is episodic, so it doesn't matter if you watched this one prior to any that came before it. :applejack:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
The only time the show has ANY continuity is on the premieres and finales.
You can seriously watch Season 2 in ANY order save for the first two and final two episodes, and you wouldn't miss a single thing.

The show is episodic, so it doesn't matter if you watched this one prior to any that came before it. :applejack:
You dont watch the episodes in order! :scared: If Lauren Faust could hear this

CY

Smash Ace
I thought that post was actually P4 until half way in. I was like wait what, when did he start playing TL? and why is he using ****ty grammar?

BioDG

Smash Ace
Nothing personal toward Trela, Razer gnes, but Im going to beat you in tourney before this game fully dies or at least before 2013. Im not wasting all my time and money going to tourneys all over for nothing. thats my journey :bee:

and nothing personal towards Bio, but Texas needs balls again.
And what if you fail? Or what if you beat them when they already stopped playing the game regularly (for example: Xyro's example about PJ)? It's like you're making an agenda out of something that doesn't really...need one. My point was that the joy and satisfaction of learning with each step no matter how small should be primarily why anyone plays competitively (success is just a byproduct). It shouldn't be about setting some huge Point-A-to-Point-Z goal and focusing on nothing but that to the point of over-dedicating yourself and having no satisfaction to anything less. Especially in a video game. If the end goal isn't worth a whole lot, why aim so passionately for it?

Gnes

Smash Master
And what if you fail? Or what if you beat them when they already stopped playing the game regularly (for example: Xyro's example about PJ)? It's like you're making an agenda out of something that doesn't really...need one. My point was that the joy and satisfaction of learning with each step no matter how small should be primarily why anyone plays competitively (success is just a byproduct). It shouldn't be about setting some huge Point-A-to-Point-Z goal and focusing on nothing but that to the point of over-dedicating yourself and having no satisfaction to anything less. Especially in a video game. If the end goal isn't worth a whole lot, why aim so passionately for it?
Me and Jerm talk about this all the time. The best times we had playing this game is back when we weren't top players. Just learning everything we could, the journey to get to the top. Besides, once you get to the top, its not what you think. People get so caught up in winning that they forget the joy it is in simply figuring out the game and all the possibilities there is. Of course this may mean little from somewhat like me, but I wasn't always winning tournaments. Everyone has their own respective hurdles, Razer/dojo were mine. Its how you deal with those hurdles that makes you in the player you will become. If I had given up after my 20th consecutive loss to Razer, I wonder how things would have played out...

Bio has excellent mindset, and its showing in his improvements. Say what you will about his win against Razer, only a small margin of players in the world could beat Razer's snake game 3.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm excited for whenever smash 4 comes out cause IMO the best time during Brawl was when no one knew who was the best, results changed a lot, new things kept getting discovered, etc. Then again I also kinda lost my drive to do better at Brawl after jS quit cause that meant I don't really have someone to compete against as a rival.

Edit: And there's the fact that I don't get to play offline much other than the few times I go to tournys.

:059:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'm in that weird position where I still want to improve because I'm not at the top, but I also know it'll probably be a waste of time since everyone around me (and in general) seems to be quitting, moving, or simply moving on to other things. I still practice, but I'm starting to question whether I should even bother anymore. The same thing goes for my scene/state. We were booming back in '09-'10, now we're starting to die out slowly. I don't know whether to try and revive it somehow or just let it die...

Trela

Smash Lord
Pfft, well I dunno about all this, but me and P4 are gonna go see The Avengers tonight at the theatre near my place.

Who's down?

Dojo

Smash Champion
I don't see him as putting his goal too high. In my opinion, he should shoot much higher than just beating you guys. When I began I wanted to become the best player in the world. I demanded nothing less of myself and worked for that goal every single day. The guys who were there from the beginning watched me grow and learn and usually push myself past what I thought I could. It is all about your journey to get there though. I never reached my goal. I feel like I never came close. But I'd never go back and change anything about my smash career if I could. It's been too much fun.

In my opinion, you shouldn't question a person's passion. The people who are passionate enough about something will be the ones to make it happen. Look at Trela. Just remember, Jrugs, to make sure it's worth it even if you never reach your goal. I hope you do though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pfft, well I dunno about all this, but me and P4 are gonna go see The Avengers tonight at the theatre near my place.

Who's down?
Spoilers: everyone dies.

I saved you $14.

:phone:

sheikamaru

jive
Lol nikes avitar...

Eyyyy where's my defense back when I was all gungho about beating razor trela gnes?

I even made a song about it. Shall i bring it back? :D

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
How about you bring back P4's cookie first.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It' s Mr Timmy bday?

The little rats all grow up so fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.