• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really miss playing all the people i would play with on skype urbanmenace, umby tutu meekspeedy lcancel kingtoon tkbro malcolm nappy...... near moe misa ninjalink umby milesg2g (sorry if i forgot anyone) but i drifted away from them and stopped going on skype i cant recall why.. its prob my fault that some of them stopped playing simply because i left
We all miss you too PJ =[

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
And what if you fail? Or what if you beat them when they already stopped playing the game regularly (for example: Xyro's example about PJ)? It's like you're making an agenda out of something that doesn't really...need one. My point was that the joy and satisfaction of learning with each step no matter how small should be primarily why anyone plays competitively (success is just a byproduct). It shouldn't be about setting some huge Point-A-to-Point-Z goal and focusing on nothing but that to the point of over-dedicating yourself and having no satisfaction to anything less. Especially in a video game. If the end goal isn't worth a whole lot, why aim so passionately for it?
I'm pretty sure most people would agree with you here, but I also can't help but think you need to simmer down. Almost seems like you're trying to force people to enjoy the game the way you think it is best enjoyed. Who are you to dictate whether or not an agenda is necessary? Who are you to say what can and cannot be someone's prize? If someone chooses the goal over the journey for their satisfaction, them let them have that at least. Let the person define what they find desirable, and let that person shoot for it as much as they want. Live and let live.

I mean, there's really nothing wrong with what you've said. It SHOULD be that way because it SOUNDS good, doesn't it? All I'm saying is that you're assuming that the journey should be all there is to it, when that's simply not the case.

Still, it's a healthy attitude to have. Just a bit...too hopeful.
Like a pipe dream. :applejack:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
In my opinion, you shouldn't question a person's passion. The people who are passionate enough about something will be the ones to make it happen. Look at Trela. Just remember, Jrugs, to make sure it's worth it even if you never reach your goal. I hope you do though.
Why thanks dojo :) But yeah I know what it entails to beat Gnes, Razer, and Trela. Every single day I watch vids for 6 hours since I dont have cable in league city,every day Im on the smash boards until I need to go to sleep, when I was in the east coast I tried to make every MD/VA tourney there was as well as what ever NY/NJ tourney there was, I even slept in penn station in Baltimore and in New York twice like some homeless man after a tourney, I went to every Xanadu in Baltimore by bus just to get beat up by Logic every Tuesday, every time I'm in Houston or when I have money I try driving from league city to sync's house to get some practice, all to know I'm probably not going to get a high placing next tourney. Yes I get salty and want to throw things but I try buying a pack of cigarettes and go back into the venue and apologize and try to start practicing for the next tourney. Hell when I had a Wii I even tried why-fi. Ive lost so much money and time thanks to this dying game all for a stupid goal of just being a recognized :snake: but I would do it allover again. So Im definitely going to say it again Texas needs balls again, stop treating the top 3 like there gods they can/have lost before. I dont care if you main ganon (inb4 espy says anything, yes Im exaggerating) Fkn try and stop acting like victims who cant stop a neighborhood bully. You know Texas there was a time when It was Razer, Gnes, and not Razer,Gnes,Trela. I know that didn't magically just happen.

Oh and happy birthday Razer.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
They're not gods.
No one is saying they're unbeatable.
It's just no longer worth the effort to try so hard against something that's just improbable.

I'd rather be a cynical pessimist than a naive optimist. :applejack:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Why thanks dojo :) But yeah I know what it entails to beat Gnes, Razer, and Trela. Every single day I watch vids for 6 hours since I dont have cable in league city,every day Im on the smash boards until I need to go to sleep, when I was in the east coast I tried to make every MD/VA tourney there was as well as what ever NY/NJ tourney there was, I even slept in penn station in Baltimore and in New York twice like some homeless man after a tourney, I went to every Xanadu in Baltimore by bus just to get beat up by Logic every Tuesday, every time I'm in Houston or when I have money I try driving from league city to sync's house to get some practice, all to know I'm probably not going to get a high placing next tourney. Yes I get salty and want to throw things but I try buying a pack of cigarettes and go back into the venue and apologize and try to start practicing for the next tourney. Hell when I had a Wii I even tried why-fi. Ive lost so much money and time thanks to this dying game all for a stupid goal of just being a recognized :snake: but I would do it allover again. So Im definitely going to say it again Texas needs balls again, stop treating the top 3 like there gods they can/have lost before. I dont care if you main ganon (inb4 espy says anything, yes Im exaggerating) Fkn try and stop acting like victims who cant stop a neighborhood bully. You know Texas there was a time when It was Razer, Gnes, and not Razer,Gnes,Trela. I know that didn't magically just happen.

Oh and happy birthday Razer.
I remember that time... Hobo 12.

Honestly, trying to be the best is too much stress. Like Keith said, once you're at the top, everybody is gunning for you. There's no excuse for a bad day on tournament day. Every loss is an upset. That's why I rather just come in play for leisure and go home and be a family man.

Not to sound too parental, but everybody should try to finish college (if you're in college) first before you get engulfed in competitive gaming. That way:

A) You'll have enough money that you can go to tournaments for fun instead of trying to win money,
B) You can actually make time travel to OOS tournies and enjoy the city you're actually visiting.

Education > Gaming.

Just my 2 cents.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
They're not gods.
No one is saying they're unbeatable.
It's just no longer worth the effort to try so hard against something that's just improbable.

I'd rather be a cynical pessimist than a naive optimist. :applejack:
then quit the game :( I know :sonic: has a super high learning curve, but seriously quit the game or at least stop entering tourneys. There used to be an espy that cared about winning with freakin :sonic: one that made 5th at MLG Dallas even and is 6th on our fkn PR, so why your cynical I dont know. But for real your cool and all, but if this game just makes you that unhappy then quit the game. :urg:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I remember that time... Hobo 12.

Honestly, trying to be the best is too much stress. Like Keith said, once you're at the top, everybody is gunning for you. There's no excuse for a bad day on tournament day. Every loss is an upset. That's why I rather just come in play for leisure and go home and be a family man.

Not to sound too parental, but everybody should try to finish college (if you're in college) first before you get engulfed in competitive gaming. That way:

A) You'll have enough money that you can go to tournaments for fun instead of trying to win money,
B) You can actually make time travel to OOS tournies and enjoy the city you're actually visiting.

Education > Gaming.

Just my 2 cents.
Listen to this washed-up vet.

Education first.

Then worry about your hobby.

Unless you live in South Korea, you won't be making a living off of gaming.

:phone:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
then quit the game :( I know :sonic: has a super high learning curve, but seriously quit the game or at least stop entering tourneys. There used to be an espy that cared about winning with freakin :sonic: one that made 5th at MLG Dallas even and is 6th on our fkn PR, so why your cynical I dont know. But for real your cool and all, but if this game just makes you that unhappy then quit the game. :urg:
Don't be naive and think something as trivial as a game like brawl being the reason for someones unhappiness...
He accomplished his goal more or less at MLG Dallas, Jrugs. All there is to it...
That and it's only normal for the game to get boring after playing it since the first day it came out. (At least for me, Espy's been playing competitive since Melee days)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Who said anything about the game making me unhappy?

Jrugs, you need to understand that different people gain satisfaction out of this game through different means. Whether it's playing a specific character, going simply for the tournament experience, winning at the end of the day, or for people like Bio, gaining wisdom as they do what they can to get to the pinnacle of high leveled play, everyone has their own means of getting satisfaction from this game.

I don't get mine from winning anymore, it's as simple as that. I've SEEN how the top level of play goes, and I understand VERY well (though I may not communicate it) what it takes to beat someone of the caliber of Gnes, Razer, and now, Trela. I can say with almost absolute certainty that the only way someone is going to beat those three is if they completely commit themselves to the game with a viable character, and play perfectly to the extent that those players make more mistakes than the challenger (it'd also help if they didn't practice the game while you did). Those three have amazingly sharp skills and really, really good characters, and they know how to milk a disadvantage when they see it, so most characters who HAVE that glaring disadvantage are going to get wrecked (mid tier and lower). And then for this to happen consecutively over a long span of time? Not going to happen with a mid tier. Hell, I've beaten Razer and Gnes before, I KNOW what it feels like to get the job done, but I also know how ridiculously steep that hill is to climb.

It only gets steeper once you hit that point.

All I'm saying is that you have to literally shoot for the improbable if you want ANYTHING to happen against those three, especially for the drop in skill once you get past the first 5 players in Texas.

There's too much work to put into it now that very few people feel it necessary to even try, and the ones closest to being able to topple them are the people who are too stubborn to let go of their mid tier characters, or have already quit the game.

As far as "playing to win" goes, I've already accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Now, I get satisfaction from simply playing the game and having fun with other people. People disagree with me all the time about that, and in fact, some have confronted me, just like you are right now, about what now drives me at playing this game.

Different people have different reasons for playing the game. Do NOT step over the line and tell me to quit just because I stopped playing to win, and DO NOT tell me how I should be enjoying the game I love. :applejack:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Don't be naive and think something as trivial as a game like brawl being the reason for someones unhappiness...
He accomplished his goal more or less at MLG Dallas, Jrugs. All there is to it...
That and it's only normal for the game to get boring after playing it since the first day it came out. (At least for me, Espy's been playing competitive since Melee days)
ok well......I guess if he's accomplished his goals and is bored its time to quit (competitively) . :( Im not being naive clearly espy doesn't care any more and there's nothing wrong with that.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I don't care anymore?
Jrugs. I'll only ask you once. Shut up.

Don't you DARE put words into my mouth. :applejack:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If thats what you feel you should do then sure do what you want.
Or find new goals, its your choice I cant stop you.

...Your logic is basically saying Stop doing X if you're bored/unhappy with X
I'm bored with life, but I'm not gonna do something as petty as commit suicide.

The only thing I can say right now is... please stop this before it spirals out of control in this already horrible thread.

Jrugs

Smash Ace

...Your logic is basically saying Stop doing X if you're bored/unhappy with X
I'm bored with life, but I'm not gonna do something as petty as commit suicide.

The only thing I can say right now is... please stop this before it spirals out of control in this already horrible thread.
I never told you to commit suicide :( If you want to do that then fine. but in general if your bored with something then maybe try something else.

@ espy I never tried to put words in your mouth, its just a suggestion. So your cynical about this game but love this game?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's fine to suggest other options to people, but don't straight up tell someone to quit just because they're not enjoying something the way YOU think they should be. :applejack:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
It's fine to suggest other options to people, but don't straight up tell someone to quit just because they're not enjoying something the way YOU think they should be. :applejack:
My bad I should of said you should quit the game. But yeah it was just a suggestion if you were truly unhappy. I dont care if some one plays to win or not if some one is not happy playing brawl then thats my suggestion.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
You know, that might actually be the cause of that thunderstorm we had last night. Nike's joyous tears drenching the arid soils we had for weeks.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Thanks, Gnes. :]

Still, it's a healthy attitude to have. Just a bit...too hopeful.
Like a pipe dream. :applejack:
Yeah, my agenda statement was too direct so I apologize, dojo, espy, jrugs for the misunderstanding.

I never meant to imply that high goal-setting is wrong or to shut someone down for having any of any kind. I'm confident there are people out there who set goals and get to them without overextending themselves. I'm just saying there are risk factors if we get caught up in getting to a grand, perceived end. If we do, the journey itself can potentially become self-destructive.

I brought this up because I think this reality affects competitive gaming communities, including brawl's, and saw the current direction of this thread as an opportunity to lay it on the table.

That is all I wanted to say.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
... If only Link turned out to be the best character, like he should be. :) 3 years, there's always low tier. Can't wait for smash4!

:phone:
Prime and I talked about it two days ago. How silly would it be if he became top tier in Smash 4? It'd definitely be well deserved, though.

You know, that might actually be the cause of that thunderstorm we had last night. Nike's joyous tears drenching the arid soils we had for weeks.
lol

Thanks, Gnes. :]

Yeah, my agenda statement was too direct so I apologize, dojo, espy, jrugs for the misunderstanding.

I never meant to imply that high goal-setting is wrong or to shut someone down for having any of any kind. I'm confident there are people out there who set goals and get to them without overextending themselves. I'm just saying there are risk factors if we get caught up in getting to a grand, perceived end. If we do, the journey itself can potentially become self-destructive.

I brought this up because I think this reality affects competitive gaming communities, including brawl's, and saw the current direction of this thread as an opportunity to lay it on the table.

That is all I wanted to say.
I understand that much.

I do find that it's worth the risk, though. Personally, I find it boring to not have that drive to get to the top at some point or another. To put it into a metaphor, it'd be like floating down river on a makeshift raft. Yeah, you'll be able to pull some kind of meaningful wisdom out of the experience itself, but without a goal in mind, or a destination to reach, it sorta takes the romance out of the entire adventure, don't you think?

Imagine Oregon Trail without the Oregon. :p

He posted art.

I'm getting him unbanned.
Good luck with that. Nudity of any kind is against forum policy.
Then again, Denti got unbanned, so it shouldn't be TOO hard. :applejack:

@Killmatic: Are you not entertained?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I am entertained!
And I think all of you really bring up some great points.

I'm basically in the same boat with Espy as far as this game is concerned and I really like how you worded his sentimental values toward Brawl and this community.

BioDG

Smash Ace
There is romance, too, in being satisfied enough to stop and smell the roses and yet...still be on the adventure like everybody else. In that sense, it doesn't mean that person's drive is stagnant because there was no goal. It just means it is renewed strength and joy with every small step forward. With that process there is no measure to how far that person may go if the aim was to simply be better than yesterday.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There is romance, too, in being satisfied enough to stop and smell the roses and yet...still be on the adventure like everybody else.
True, but you're trying to assert that too much focus leads to danger (I won't disagree with that, just for the record). For people who have the passion to shoot for goals that seem out of reach, that destination is worth the trials and hardships that it'll cost to get anywhere near that finish line.

The element of risk is a GOOD thing. That's what I'm saying.

In that sense, it doesn't mean that person's drive is stagnant because there was no goal. It just means it is renewed strength and joy with every small step forward. With that process there is no measure to how far that person may go if the aim was to simply be better than yesterday.
I think the problem is that without that goal, the person is missing out on living the romantic life. A life without one (goal) is noble and virtuous in and of itself, especially if one tends to observe without the necessity to really strive to be the best.

But really, just watching from the sidelines, getting that wisdom, and spreading it amongst others unaware is nice and all. It's a very good way to live, but I can't say that it's the most satisfying way to live.

As far as I know, you only live once, so why not be crazy about something at one point while you still have that chance? Living that kind of lifestyle is itself an experience to be had, just as much as being a drifter. :applejack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom