• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here's the keys - make a crossover fighter with [INSERT IP HERE].

The characters I selected were chosen, especially for the GBA, thinking about the games released on that handheld. So that’s why we have so many weird picks (namely Nell, Metagross, Eliwood, and Isaac).

About the amount of unlockable characters in Smash for the GB:
1. I couldn’t have had fewer than 4 starting characters, since you may want to play a free-for-all, but the GB doesn’t support colors (and even the GBC has limited prowess in that sense), so I had to have 4 starters. A free-for-all with the game booted up for the first time would basically be Mario, Link
2. Regardless of that, it is the exact same proportion of starters vs. unlockables seen in Smash 64 (and Smash Advance), with 2/3 of the roster being base, and 1/3 being unlockable.

I already have planned the roster for my DS sequel, so I can’t use your suggestions, but I might end up making a 3DS roster too, so some of these characters might see the light of day for that one!
I feel like I should clarify that I was looking at that from the perspective of an OTL Smash enthusiast. As characters on their own terms, all four of them are great picks for the game.

Yeah, that does make sense. Making a free-for-all fight as a selling point would mean only two unlockable characters for the GB game. I just wonder how many insane playground rumors would spout in this case.

After asking that question, I did compare it to Smash 64's roster proportion and found it equal.

Well, that actually has me even more hyped for your Smash DS roster, since that means there are a lot more surprising picks.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
There is this silly idea I've had in the back of my mind for a few weeks and I now have found the time and will to make it.
So what if the Super Smash Bros. series was on handheld instead of console? So far, I have only made a roster for the GB and one for the GBA, but I'm willing to make one for the DS as well. So, without any further ado, let's-a-go!
View attachment 373785
Release date: January 21, 1999 (Japan)
Predictably so, the roster is quite small, as it only features six characters. I imagine that the game's engine would be very primitive and that the player would be only allowed to move, jump, double jump, and attack in four different directions (neutral, side, up, down). No tilts, smashes, or specials here, as the console only has two buttons. There's no grabbing or shielding either! The game would feature only three modes: Smash, Board the Platform (using the actual stages instead of dedicated ones), and 1P Game. Regular Smash could be played in free-for-all or in 1-on-1, the latter even with another player using the link cable. Only Stock matches are available, with the ability to choose between 1 and 6 stocks.
In order to make the engine even more simple, I'd divide the characters into three weight tiers: light (Kirby and Pikachu), medium (Mario and Link), and heavy (Samus and DK). The two characters in the same weight tier share the exact same weight. Finally, I'd give each character the exact same walking speed and jump height. I don't know if Kirby could be an exception, by giving him multiple midair jumps, but I'd be fine too even without it. If this game were ever to exist, it would be a small miracle, so I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of the characters' individual personality in order to fit all of them in.
  • Mario is of course present as the balanced, easy-to-pick character. He'd have very simple moves, but I'd still give him a few references, like a fireball for his down ground attack, or a hammer swing for his side ground attack. Mario's down aerial attack would definitely be his iconic stomp.
  • Link is another middleweight fighter, with a penchant for projectiles: he'd still use the bow, the bomb, the boomerang, and the fire rod even if the game doesn't feature special attacks. However, Link's shield wouldn't block incoming attacks, avoiding any unnecessary interactions.
  • Samus is our first heavyweight fighter. She is even more reliant on projectiles than Link, meaning that she has a hard time KO'ing her opponents unless she can find ways to shut down their recovery.
  • Kirby is a lightweight fighter. He'd probably lack his multiple midair jumps, but something I'm not ok excluding are his iconic copy abilities. Unlike in Smash, Kirby would gain copy abilities that are taken from his Kirby's Dream Land 2, depending on the inhaled character:
    • Mario --> Burning
    • Link --> Cutter
    • Samus --> Ice
    • Pikachu --> Spark
    • DK --> Stone
His other attacks would be based on other copy abilities, items from Kirby's Dream Land, or be made up.
  • Pikachu is an unlockable character. It'd have attacks based on a few Pokémon moves it can learn in Pokémon Red and Green Versions, namely Thunderbolt, Swift, Tail Whip, and Thunder. Yup, I'm giving Pikachu Thunder. It'd be a lot smaller, however.
  • Donkey Kong is our final character, and he's another unlockable one. He'd be the largest fighter, meaning he is an easy target to hit, but he'd make up for it in raw strength, being by far the strongest fighter in the roster. His down ground attack has him throw a barrel, meaning that he doesn't even lack a projectile!
Release date: January 21, 2003
This game would be released more than a full year after Melee. That is because I believe that the GBA would require some mileage before releasing a title like this, namely in the Pokémon department, a series that is growing to be larger and larger.
As for the roster, this iteration has 12 characters (double the amount of the first title), including all 6 veterans and adding 6 new characters, all coming from franchises that have had (as of the release date) games on the GBA.
In terms of gameplay, the term "Advance" in the game's title isn't just for showing: this version is an advanced version of its predecessor in every way: characters can now grab, shield, and dodge, have individual stats (as opposed to sharing walking speed, jumping height, and weight with other fighters), and even boast 3 recolors. Oh, the game itself is now colored (I'd imagine that on the GBC, the characters would just have some basic palettes based on the stage they're fighting in). Characters have also voice lines, though only a very few. Finally, characters can now charge some specific attacks, à la MultiVersus.
About modes, the game would retain the predecessor's Smash, Board the Platform, and 1P Game, all with some changes. For starters, Smash now gives the players the ability to play Time matches, to combine Time and Stocks, to play Team Matches (Blue v. Red teams only), and to connect with up to three friends for some 4-players action, while Board the Platform features three original stages, each for a specific difficulty setting (Normal, Hard, Very Hard).
Three new modes are Multi-Man Smash, which is essentially Infinite Smash, Break the Targets, which again features three original stages, designed for the three difficulties in mind, and All-Stars Mode, which pits the player against all the fighters in the game without any break.
  • Mario returns, relatively unchanged, aside for a couple of new moves that reference the Raccoon Tail from Super Mario Advance 4, which would be released a few months after Smash Advance.​
  • Luigi is a newcomer, being a full clone of Mario, with a few differences here and there, mostly in his stats. Generally, Luigi is weaker than Mario, but is faster and more agile than his brother. Luigi was one character I wish I could have added in the previous title, but I can't see him working on the GB: it would be impossible to distinguish between him and Mario.​
  • Link's design is now based on A Link to the Past, which saw a remake on the GBA. Additionally, Link now is able to block incoming projectiles with his shield.​
  • Samus's design has been overhauled too, now being based on Metroid Fusion, the newest entry in the franchise. Most of her attacks are unchanged, but she'd use a few attacks from Fusion here and there. She'd also boast the powerful Grapple Beam.​
  • Kirby's copy abilities are now based on Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and are as follow:​
    • Mario --> Fire​
    • Luigi --> Hammer​
    • Link --> Cutter​
    • Samus --> Beam​
    • Pikachu --> Spark​
    • Donkey Kong --> Backdrop​
    • Eliwood --> Sword
    • Isaac --> Stone
    • Nell --> Bomb
    • Metagross --> Burning (due to the fact that Metagross is partially based on meteors)
He also gains the corresponding hats!
  • Pikachu forgot Tail Whip and learned how to use Volt Tackle! That's some real upgrade in power, isn't it?
  • DK returns relatively unchanged, but the ability to charge some attacks is appreciated by a heavy hitter like him.
  • Eliwood is our Fire Emblem representative, being from the still unreleased Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade. I'd say that the series hasn't arrived overseas yet, to Eliwood would basically be the equivalent of Marth and Roy in Melee. He'd retain Marth's elegant fighting style without the tipper.
  • Wario is our first unlockable fighter. His appearance would mostly be based on Wario Land, considering that he has had way more appearances with that style than WarioWare. Notably, Wario Land 4 would have been released, meaning he has a clear source of his moveset.
  • Isaac is another unlockable fighter and he'd be a bit of a gamble, though I believe that his uniqueness is more than enough to warrant a spot on the roster. He'd trade some of Eliwood's speed for power and magic.
  • If you had a nickel for every time LoZ00 has added Nell to one of his roster, you'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice. She'd be another unlockable character, summoning soldiers to fight for her.
  • Finally, Metagross is our last (unlockable) character, and our second Pokémon. I chose it because I wanted a Gen 3 Pokémon and the ace of the Champion Steven Stone felt fitting. Metagross would also be the heaviest fighter in the game, though not the largest, as that title would probably still belong to DK.

I'm planning to do a sequel for the Nintendo DS, so maybe stay tuned (I can't promise anything).
I made my Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo DS roster. Here it is:
DS_Roster_Small.png
Release date: January 21, 2008
The game is called Super Smash Bros. Double Strife and, by virtue of being on a brand new console, it has some new features. The first thing I'd like to touch is the HUD. Weird, I know, but it makes sense. For the most part, the HUD would be the same as Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, but in a handful of stages (let's say 5/25 total), the player can navigate both in the top and bottom screens. These stages would be named Dual Stages and are twice as tall as normal stages. This was done because I predict that all the stages in SSB and Advance would be fairly small. The second new feature of the game is the distinction between normals (performed with the A button) and specials (B button), since the DS has four buttons. They work similarly to MultiVersus, because the Nintendo DS lacks an analog stick. Due to these changes, the game is a sort of "soft reboot" of the series.
In terms of modes, Double Strife features all the modes from the predecessor (Smash, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Multi-Man Smash, and All-Stars Mode) mostly unchanged. The only exception is Multi-Man Smash, which now has the presence of many new sub-games (other than Infinite Smash, there are 10-Man Smash, 100-Man Smash, 15-Minute Smash, and Cruel Smash). The only new mode added is Stage Builder, a mode that takes full advantage of the DS's touch screen. Players are able to save up to 5 stages, one of which can also be a Dual Stage.
Finally, the roster, which contains 18 characters, divided into 12 starters and 6 unlockables. As I said, the game is considered a "soft reboot", as such this roster sees many different faces compared to the predecessor. For starters, only 8 of the 12 characters present in Advance make a comeback: Eliwood, Isaac, Nell, and Metagross are cut, although Eliwood and Nell are essentially replaced with Marth and Rachel respectively. Even some of the veterans have received some heavy changes, but I'll go in more detail in the spoilers below.

• Mario is of course back as the beginner-friendly character. His moveset is mostly based on his classic power-ups (namely, the Fire Flower, and the Raccoon Leaf), but he also has a few moves that reference the Mario & Luigi series, and a side special that uses a kart.
  • Luigi is Mario's full clone yet again, retaining his higher speed and agility at the cost of power.
  • Princess Peach is a deserving newcomer! Super Princess Peach was already released, so she uses a few attacks from that game, including Perry the parasol and her vibes. I'd make the extra mile if necessary, but I want Peach to be able to float!
  • Bowser! Probably the most glaring omission from the Advance roster, the King of Koopas is finally here and, with the absence of Metagross, he takes the crown as the heaviest fighter in the game. His moveset would not be based on Bowser's Inside Story, since that game was released much later.
  • Link's appearance is greatly overhauled, now being based on the "toon" part of the Zelda series, which seemed to be the prevalent one at that time, at least when it came to handheld games. This would not heavily impact his moveset, but he'd also use the specific items from these games, mostly The Phantom Hourglass.
  • Samus's design, on the other hand, was reverted to a more classic one. That's because she didn't make any major appearance on the DS, except for Prime Hunters. Her moveset would be based on her many weapons, now finding a nice balance between projectiles and melee attacks, whereas in SSB and Advance she was essentially a pure spammer.
  • Kirby returns! But this time, with Inhale (which is now a special move), he copies the exact abilities performed by the inhaled character, like in Smash. He also finally dons the proper hats! His canon copy abilities are reserved for his neutrals.
  • Pikachu returns with a new moves to fill the gaps left by the presence of two attacking inputs. It is still a small, light, and nimble fighter.
  • Piplup joins the roster as another lightweight Pokémon, chosen mostly due to its prominent role in the anime. Unlike Pikachu, Piplup is much slower, but hopefully it would not be entirely useless. I also love Piplup.
  • DK returns with a small overhaul that gives him a stronger identity as another burly brawler of the game, along with Bowser. Unlike the King of Koopas, the King of Jungle is also decently nimble and agile.
  • Marth replaces Eliwood, but the moveset would not be changed that much, apart from the obvious inclusion of many new moves. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon wasn't released yet at the time I picture this game would be released, but Marth's addition works for a couple of reasons:
    • Nintendo likes to promote new Fire Emblem characters in Smash
    • Marth isn't actually a new face. In Japan at least, he'd be recognized.
  • Nintendog? Yeah, Nintendog! They appear as the funny WTF character of the game. I believe that with 18 slots, there's room for some fun here and there. Nintendog fights using their canine prowess, as well as toys from the Nintendogs game.
Time for unlockables!
  • Wario! He sports a new look based on Purple Wind from Master of Disguise because it fulfills the two roles of being both current and cool looking. His moveset wouldn't be overfilled with references to that game, though.
  • Tingle? Another weird pick, but on the DS, The Legend of Zelda series has a specific set of characters and sees the glaring absence of Ganondorf. On the other hand, Zelda's moveset would mostly be based on her phantom persona in Spirit Tracks, which didn't sound right to me and wasn't even released yet in 2008. But Tingle? Tingle has many DS games! He'd be a unique and surprisingly fitting addition.
  • Rachel is a newcomer, but she essentially replaces Nell, inheriting her playstyle and the ability to summon soldiers and tanks to her advantage. Unlike Nell and due to the presence of normals and specials, Rachel also engages opponents in close quarters combat with basic punches and kicks.
  • As much as I love King Dedede, in that period of time Meta Knight was the popular character between the two. His moveset is mostly based on his playable appearances, surprisingly common in that era.
  • Lucario is one of the rare instances where I happen to choose a character that became playable in the Smash series without being a series mainstay like Mario or Kirby. Its moveset would forgo the aura mechanic in favor of a more rushdown style.
  • Finally, Rhythm Girl! She summons characters and items from various Rhythm Heaven mini-games to attack the opponents. I can't see her having a rhythm-based mechanic, not on the Nintendo DS at least.

I made my Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo DS roster. Here it is:
Release date: January 21, 2008
The game is called Super Smash Bros. Double Strife and, by virtue of being on a brand new console, it has some new features. The first thing I'd like to touch is the HUD. Weird, I know, but it makes sense. For the most part, the HUD would be the same as Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, but in a handful of stages (let's say 5/25 total), the player can navigate both in the top and bottom screens. These stages would be named Dual Stages and are twice as tall as normal stages. This was done because I predict that all the stages in SSB and Advance would be fairly small. The second new feature of the game is the distinction between normals (performed with the A button) and specials (B button), since the DS has four buttons. They work similarly to MultiVersus, because the Nintendo DS lacks an analog stick. Due to these changes, the game is a sort of "soft reboot" of the series.
In terms of modes, Double Strife features all the modes from the predecessor (Smash, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Multi-Man Smash, and All-Stars Mode) mostly unchanged. The only exception is Multi-Man Smash, which now has the presence of many new sub-games (other than Infinite Smash, there are 10-Man Smash, 100-Man Smash, 15-Minute Smash, and Cruel Smash). The only new mode added is Stage Builder, a mode that takes full advantage of the DS's touch screen. Players are able to save up to 5 stages, one of which can also be a Dual Stage.
Finally, the roster, which contains 18 characters, divided into 12 starters and 6 unlockables. As I said, the game is considered a "soft reboot", as such this roster sees many different faces compared to the predecessor. For starters, only 8 of the 12 characters present in Advance make a comeback: Eliwood, Isaac, Nell, and Metagross are cut, although Eliwood and Nell are essentially replaced with Marth and Rachel respectively. Even some of the veterans have received some heavy changes, but I'll go in more detail in the spoilers below.

• Mario is of course back as the beginner-friendly character. His moveset is mostly based on his classic power-ups (namely, the Fire Flower, and the Raccoon Leaf), but he also has a few moves that reference the Mario & Luigi series, and a side special that uses a kart.
  • Luigi is Mario's full clone yet again, retaining his higher speed and agility at the cost of power.
  • Princess Peach is a deserving newcomer! Super Princess Peach was already released, so she uses a few attacks from that game, including Perry the parasol and her vibes. I'd make the extra mile if necessary, but I want Peach to be able to float!
  • Bowser! Probably the most glaring omission from the Advance roster, the King of Koopas is finally here and, with the absence of Metagross, he takes the crown as the heaviest fighter in the game. His moveset would not be based on Bowser's Inside Story, since that game was released much later.
  • Link's appearance is greatly overhauled, now being based on the "toon" part of the Zelda series, which seemed to be the prevalent one at that time, at least when it came to handheld games. This would not heavily impact his moveset, but he'd also use the specific items from these games, mostly The Phantom Hourglass.
  • Samus's design, on the other hand, was reverted to a more classic one. That's because she didn't make any major appearance on the DS, except for Prime Hunters. Her moveset would be based on her many weapons, now finding a nice balance between projectiles and melee attacks, whereas in SSB and Advance she was essentially a pure spammer.
  • Kirby returns! But this time, with Inhale (which is now a special move), he copies the exact abilities performed by the inhaled character, like in Smash. He also finally dons the proper hats! His canon copy abilities are reserved for his neutrals.
  • Pikachu returns with a new moves to fill the gaps left by the presence of two attacking inputs. It is still a small, light, and nimble fighter.
  • Piplup joins the roster as another lightweight Pokémon, chosen mostly due to its prominent role in the anime. Unlike Pikachu, Piplup is much slower, but hopefully it would not be entirely useless. I also love Piplup.
  • DK returns with a small overhaul that gives him a stronger identity as another burly brawler of the game, along with Bowser. Unlike the King of Koopas, the King of Jungle is also decently nimble and agile.
  • Marth replaces Eliwood, but the moveset would not be changed that much, apart from the obvious inclusion of many new moves. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragonwasn't released yet at the time I picture this game would be released, but Marth's addition works for a couple of reasons:
    • Nintendo likes to promote new Fire Emblem characters in Smash
    • Marth isn't actually a new face. In Japan at least, he'd be recognized.
  • Nintendog? Yeah, Nintendog! They appear as the funny WTF character of the game. I believe that with 18 slots, there's room for some fun here and there. Nintendog fights using their canine prowess, as well as toys from the Nintendogs game.
Time for unlockables!
  • Wario! He sports a new look based on Purple Wind from Master of Disguise because it fulfills the two roles of being both current and cool looking. His moveset wouldn't be overfilled with references to that game, though.
  • Tingle? Another weird pick, but on the DS, The Legend of Zelda series has a specific set of characters and sees the glaring absence of Ganondorf. On the other hand, Zelda's moveset would mostly be based on her phantom persona in Spirit Tracks, which didn't sound right to me and wasn't even released yet in 2008. But Tingle? Tingle has many DS games! He'd be a unique and surprisingly fitting addition.
  • Rachel is a newcomer, but she essentially replaces Nell, inheriting her playstyle and the ability to summon soldiers and tanks to her advantage. Unlike Nell and due to the presence of normals and specials, Rachel also engages opponents in close quarters combat with basic punches and kicks.
  • As much as I love King Dedede, in that period of time Meta Knight was the popular character between the two. His moveset is mostly based on his playable appearances, surprisingly common in that era.
  • Lucario is one of the rare instances where I happen to choose a character that became playable in the Smash series without being a series mainstay like Mario or Kirby. Its moveset would forgo the aura mechanic in favor of a more rushdown style.
  • Finally, Rhythm Girl! She summons characters and items from various Rhythm Heaven mini-games to attack the opponents. I can't see her having a rhythm-based mechanic, not on the Nintendo DS at least.
Considering how much of a graphical milestone the Nintendo DS was, compared to the GBA, I'd say a soft reboot could be a better way of handling this.

I'm neutral to Nell being replaced by Rachel, but Marth in place of Eliwood? Yes.

Here's hoping Luigi finally gets some differences for the 3DS entry.

I mean, Toon Link being the one Hero of Hyrule for the DS game does make sense. Look at him and tell me he's not expressive enough for Smash's first polygonal title.

Samus having melee attacks? Cool!

Great to have Kirby resemble his Console!Smash self now.

It's not like Piplup isn't a deserved newcomer. Even looking past your personal opinions, he just feels like a cute fighter.

I never thought the Nintendog could make it. You know what, forget having the Duck Hunt Dog in the next entry. I'd be fine if we just teamed this pupper with one of the ducks from that game instead.

Wario's new look is cool. That's all.

While I would have preferred another Triforce user, I suppose getting a second Zelda character at all would be better than none.

I mean, for the people who think Dedede was robbed, this is the chance to have the King of Dream Land train Piplup to be his successor. They're both blue penguins, and the new water starter does know Kirby technically. As it stands, Meta Knight was given a proper reveal in Brawl, so that's also another factor in choosing him first.

Lucario! Yeah! I'd be just fine if he and Pikachu remained constant vets, while Piplup gets replaced by the newest popular starter.

If the Nintendog can get in, so can a Rhythm Heaven fighter.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I see talk of Gameboy version of Smash and Gameboy Advanced versions, but no Gameboy Colour versions? I’ll fix that

Super Smash Bros for Gameboy Colour
Roaster: :ultmario::ultpeach::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::249::ultpit:Muddy Mole
Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Kirby and Pikachu are in the starting roaster.
Peach is chosen due to Super Mario Bros being a big franchise and Peach is quite popular.
Lugia is chosen due to Gen 2 being released on Gameboy Colour and Lugia representing Legendary Pokémon.
Pit is there due to Kid Icarus formerly ending on Gameboy until Brawl came out.
Muddy Mole is there as a retro rep.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I thought of this “Smash for past consoles/handhelds” before, up to and including one where Smash develops originally as an NES game, more similar to Konami Wai Wai World initially rather than the modern platform fighters we know now, but has a primitive VS more, similar to the NES Double Dragon. Basically a full-on alternate history development to Smash…first game would be around 1990, and just have four characters, similar to a few beat-em-ups from around that time, maybe even has an arcade release and a potential All-Stars/deluxe version for the SNES if the arcade version is more high fidelity.

The roster is…
Mario, Link, Samus, Pit
I told you there was just four! Maybe Luigi, as well, if you’d count a green alt color for Mario, if those are around in this game. SNES version would at least match the original Street Fighter II/Mortal Kombat base rosters, no worries.

I thought of this “Smash for past consoles/handhelds” before, up to and including one where Smash develops originally as an NES game, more similar to Konami Wai Wai World initially rather than the modern platform fighters we know now, but has a primitive VS more, similar to the NES Double Dragon. Basically a full-on alternate history development to Smash…first game would be around 1990, and just have four characters, similar to a few beat-em-ups from around that time, maybe even has an arcade release and a potential All-Stars/deluxe version for the SNES if the arcade version is more high fidelity.

The roster is…
Mario, Link, Samus, Pit
I told you there was just four! Maybe Luigi, as well, if you’d count a green alt color for Mario, if those are around in this game. SNES version would at least match the original Street Fighter II/Mortal Kombat base rosters, no worries.
If this is our four-character roster, I can honestly see Smash Bros. become an anchor for NBC's SatAM block starting in 1991.

No, really. With this game coming out in 1990, we could have replaced the Super Mario World cartoon and the last season of Captain N with a Smash Bros. cartoon. We already have Mario, Link, Pit, and arguably Samus and Luigi representing that time DiC and Nintendo had their partnership. This game was just right in the middle of it.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
What if D4 Enterprise released Project EGG worldwide?
1. Commodore 64
2. Commodore VIC-20
3. Commodore Amiga
4. Atari 8-bit Family
5. Atari ST
6. Apple II
7. MS-DOS
8. ZX Spectrum
9. BBC Micro
10. Amstrad CPC
11. Oric Atmos

Question: What is the maximum amount of characters one could put on each of Nintendo's systems?

An arcade cabinet?
Color TV-Game?
Game and Watch?
NES?
Game Boy?
SNES?
Virtual Boy?
N64?
Game Boy Color?
GBA?
Gamecube?
e-Reader?
DS?
Wii?
3DS?
Wii U?
Mobile phones?
Switch?

I'm leaving the Color TV-Game and the Game and Watch out of this equation, because not even I can see a fighting game on those pieces of hardware.

I am particularly asking this because I want to make a rotating list of Smash rosters by year and hardware at some point in the future. Starting in 1985 at the earliest, I suppose.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Question: What is the maximum amount of characters one could put on each of Nintendo's systems?

An arcade cabinet?
Color TV-Game?
Game and Watch?
NES?
Game Boy?
SNES?
Virtual Boy?
N64?
Game Boy Color?
GBA?
Gamecube?
e-Reader?
DS?
Wii?
3DS?
Wii U?
Mobile phones?
Switch?

I'm leaving the Color TV-Game and the Game and Watch out of this equation, because not even I can see a fighting game on those pieces of hardware.

I am particularly asking this because I want to make a rotating list of Smash rosters by year and hardware at some point in the future. Starting in 1985 at the earliest, I suppose.
I’d say there’s no easy answer for any of these, since it would depend on a lot of factors, including how much non-fighter content each game would have - Less of that would equal more time to spend on fighters. Generally speaking, though, I’d say the GB would have less fighters than the NES.

I’d say there’s no easy answer for any of these, since it would depend on a lot of factors, including how much non-fighter content each game would have - Less of that would equal more time to spend on fighters. Generally speaking, though, I’d say the GB would have less fighters than the NES.
Okay. In that case, how much of an estimate could you see each of these consoles having for their roster sizes? I think that could be more manageable than the maximum amount, really.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Walkers: Clash of the Crunch
A dumb idea I haven't gotten out of my head for a few weeks. No mascots, just the crisps themselves, though I imagine the stages would be themed on ads and feature cameos from mascots. Each crisp is animated in a sort of squashy stretchy way akin to the really early Pixar shorts, and is not anthropomorphised. Also includes Smiths crisps due to being the same parent company

1. WALKER'S - All-rounder
  2. SMITH'S - Clone of Walker's, lighter and weaker but faster and smaller
  3. WALKERS MAX - Clone of Walker's, bigger and slower but stronger and heavier
  4. DORITO - Zoner with electric powers like those depicted on the packet.
  5. MONSTER MUNCH - The basic ultraheavyweight of the roster
  6. WOTSIT - Tactical fighter who spreads dust onto its foes, but also needs to manage its dust resource
  7. CRUNCHY CHEETO - Clone of Wotsit, has no dust resource management to worry about but is nowhere near as powerful
  8. QUAVER - Slippery, grappler-esque fighter who likes to constrict
  9. SQUARE - Speedy hit-and-run fighter
  10. BUGLE - Semi-heavy, essentially a toned down equivalence to Monster Munch
  11. SNACK-A-JACK - Glass cannon
  12. FRENCH FRY - Footsies fighter, not good in air but deadly on land.
  13. CHIPSTICK - Clone of French Fry, more powerful but slower, though air game is basically the same.
  14. STAR - Turtle fighter that uses stardust to keep foes at bay
  15. SNAP - Puppet fighter, snaps in half and controls two, but can revert back to one.
  16. FRAZZLE - Mix-up fighter
  17. FUNYUN - Speediest fighter, rushdown.
  18. TIGER NUT - I have no clue how this fighter would play, in fact it isn't even a crisp, but I cannot resist adding a fighter called "tiger nut"
Also, I like to imagine this game has a beyond-Brawl-level edgy aesthetic, just because it'd be really funny.

AlRex

Smash Lord

The roster is…
Mario, Link, Samus, Pit
Adding to this, I’ll say that the arcade/SNES SMB All-Stars style version of this game adds Luigi as an easy Mario clone, and Donkey Kong Jr. and a new construction site level with Donkey Kong as a boss, following with the pre-DKC quirk of DK Jr. being in Mario Kart. This would probably be a launch title for the SNES, as well as the actual full-on sequel being released around 1994/1995, easing more towards the platform fighter focus one would expect, being somewhat comparable to The Outfoxies, but with Nintendo characters. Haven’t fully decided who gets added to that, but maybe DK Jr. gets swapped with a RareWare design DK, though I’m wondering whether it should have digitized graphics (like DKC or Super Mario RPG) or regular 16-bit sprites.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Remember when I said I’d do a 151 fighter version of my Pokémon platform fighter roster?

1. Venusaur
  2. Charizard
  3. Blastoise
  4. Rattata
  5. Pikachu
  6. Sandslash
  7. Nidoking
  8. Meowth
  9. Psyduck
  10. Arcanine
  11. Alakazam
  12. Machamp
  13. Gengar
  14. Rhydon
  15. Kangaskhan
  16. Eevee (Partner)
  17. Snorlax
  18. Dragonite
  19. Mewtwo
  20. Typhosion
  21. Totodile
  22. Xatu
  23. Ampharos
  24. Azumarill
  25. Quagsire
  26. Espeon
  27. Umbreon
  28. Slowking
  29. Granbull
  30. Scizor
  31. Heracross
  32. Sneasel
  33. Smeargle
  34. Suicine
  35. Tyranitar
  36. Grovyle
  37. Blaziken
  38. Mudkip
  39. Gardevoir
  40. Breloom
  41. Mega Mawile
  42. Aggron
  43. Flygon
  44. Milotic
  45. Absol
  46. Salamence
  47. Metagross
  48. Regice
  49. Jirachi
  50. Deoxys
  51. Torterra
  52. Empoleon
  53. Bidoof
  54. Luxray
  55. Roserade
  56. Vespiquen
  57. Pachirisu
  58. Gallade
  59. Spiritomb
  60. Garchomp
  61. Lucario
  62. Toxicroak
  63. Darkrai
  64. Serperior
  65. Excadrill
  66. Krookodile
  67. Crustle
  68. Scrafty
  69. Archeops
  70. Amoonguss
  71. Chandelure
  72. Haxorus
  73. Mienshao
  74. Golurk
  75. Bisharp
  76. Hydreigon
  77. Meloetta
  78. Genesect
  79. Braixen
  80. Greninja
  81. Talonflame
  82. Florges
  83. Pangoro
  84. Aegislash
  85. Sylveon
  86. Hawlucha
  87. Goodra
  88. Noivern
  89. Diancie
  90. Hoopa
  91. Decidueye
  92. Incineroar
  93. Primarina
  94. Alolan Raichu
  95. Alolan Vulpix
  96. Alolan Marowak
  97. Lurantis
  98. Bewear
  99. Golisopod
  100. Silvally
  101. Mimikyu
  102. Kommo-o
  103. Tapu Koko
  104. Pheromosa
  105. Marshadow
  106. Melmetal
  107. Rillaboom
  108. Cinderace
  109. Galarian Darmanitan
  110. Corviknight
  111. Wooloo
  112. Dreadnaw
  113. Toxtricity
  114. Grapploct
  115. Grimmsnarl
  116. Obstagoon
  117. Sirfetch’d
  118. Mr. Rime
  119. Snom
  120. Morpeko
  121. Dracovish
  122. Dragapult
  123. Zacian
  124. Regieleki
  125. Hisuian Voltorb
  126. Hisuian Samurott
  127. Hisuian Zoroark
  128. Hisuian Lilligant
  129. Kleavor
  130. Meowscarada
  131. Skeledirge
  132. Spidops
  133. Pawmot
  134. Ceruledge
  135. Tinkaton
  136. Palafin
  137. Revaroom
  138. Cyclizar
  139. Annihilape
  140. Clodsire
  141. Great Tusk
  142. Slither Wing
  143. Iron Bundle
  144. Iron Hands
  145. Baxcalibur
  146. Gholdengo
  147. Chien-Pao
  148. Roaring Moon
  149. Iron Valiant
  150. Koraidon
  151. Miraidon

Pupp135

Smash Lord

An arcade cabinet 8
Color TV-Game?
Game and Watch?
NES 8
Game Boy 6
SNES 10
Virtual Boy 10
N64 16 (Smash Remix has more, but I feel like time constraints are still a thing)
Game Boy Color 6
GBA 12
Gamecube 70
e-Reader 4
DS 16
Wii 80
3DS 65
Wii U 90
Mobile phones 30
Switch 120

I don’t know what the true max is because Smash Remix is technically able to support 28 characters on the N64, and there are a ton of factors to consider.

For convenience, I’ll highlight my answers above (please take these with a grain of salt)

Another for fun alternate SSB history that I’ve played around with is if there was less development time for each game.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
This is the roster based on the debug menu up to Pikachu.
While Yoshi is a de facto Mario character, his series a much more successful than those not on the roster.
Captain Falcon should be easy enough to add.
Luigi and Captain Falcon are unlockable.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultyoshi:
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultmarth:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultfox::ultfalco::ultkirby::ultness:
Based on this video, it was speculated that there would only be 17 fighters. I feel like a clone or two would sneak in, I replaced one unique newcomer with two clones.
Bowser and Peach were the most important characters missing from 64.
A Legend of Zelda feels obvious, and Ganondorf seems like the easiest to implement.
Marth is a vehicle to introduce Fire Emblem overseas.
I could see myself add a Mother character, and with the cancellation of Mother 3, Ness scrapes by.
Mewtwo was the most requested pokemon.
For the clones, I just went with Young Link and Falco as they’d probably pop up first in my head.
I’ll assume that unlockable fighters are Luigi, Captain Falcon, Young Link, Marth, Falco, and Mewtwo.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultsamus::ultzss:
:ultlink::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpit::ulticeclimbers:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer:*:ultmarth::ultike::ultness::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultolimar::ultsnake:
*The trainer is one fighting and not her/his pokemon
Brawl without the delay meant that at least Lucario, Sonic, and the post-Subspace fighters would be removed. Going off of unlock order, it could’ve been possible that R.O.B., Ganondorf, and Mr. Game & Watch would’ve also been dropped, but as I only had 6 unique Melee newcomers, and the only clones were Falco and Young Link, I don’t think this would be an issue.
Mewtwo is still dropped for time constraints, and Toon Link would probably also be dropped.
From the newcomers, I decided to keep most of the ones that we actually had as I have no objections towards them. Pokemon Trainer is the only one being changed as adding a three character stance fighter feels unrealistic, and I’d go with a standalone trainer over Charizard as I’d prefer this option.
The two free spots went to Zelda and Ice Climbers as the former is a prominent character in her series, and the latter have a cool gimmick that I’d want to make work.
Subspace should be close to what it was given the cast, except for the following: there’s no Charizard battle, Meta Knight doesn’t meet Lucario, and Ancient Minister dies I guess.
Unlockable fighters would be Luigi, Zelda, Marth, Captain Falcon, King Dedede, Falco, Lucas.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultrosalina::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultlink::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultpit::ultpalutena:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultshulk:
:ultvillager::ultolimar::ultness::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac::ultwiifittrainer::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultlucina:
:ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultgreninja::ultyounglink::ultlucas::ultryu::ultcloud::ultmiifighters:
In terms of characters who would be excluded, I only know that Bowser Jr. would be. Also, I assume that Jigglypuff wouldn’t have made it, but I don’t need to worry about that as it never joined in the first place in this alternate timeline.
In terms of cuts, the only ones that I could see myself remove are Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, Snake, and Lucas for similar reasons. Outside of those four fighters, the only other fighter that might’ve been at risk was Ike, but he should be easy enough to bring back.
In terms of how many fighters would be playable, I think 42 is reasonable enough assuming that the clones would be made early enough (Lucina was revealed in July, so I don’t think it’s farfetched to have the three clones).
In terms of newcomers, I think Duck Hunt would be too low priority for me to consider compared to the others. The other things that I’d like to note are that I’d want Sonic and Mewtwo on my base rosters. In addition to Sonic and Mewtwo, I feel like the Pokemon Company would push for Charizard. In this case, I assume that Greninja gets pushed to DLC as the former’s game was released after the initial plan. For clones, I’ll just replace Dr. Mario with Daisy as he was never in Melee, and Daisy has been an alt since Melee.
While they are less conventional choices than Waluigi, Bowser Jr., and Chrom, I think that Rosalina and Robin have cool movesets, so I’d prioritize them.
Unlockable fighters would be Rosalina, Daisy, Zelda, Dark Pit, Robin, Lucina, Captain Falcon, Falco, Mewtwo, Wii Fit Trainer.
For DLC, I think that I’d want to finish Greninja first. Then, I’d bring back Young Link and Lucas as they’re easy to add back. I don’t know how much more time I have left, but given that two of the fighters were worked on earlier, and I brought back two clones, I might be able to squeeze two more DLC fighters, and I’m fine keeping it as Cloud and Ryu given that Bayonetta relied on the ballot, and Corrin was decided later in the cycle.
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdaisy:
:ultganondorf::ultness::ultyounglink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ultdiddy::ultike::ultmetaknight::ultwario:
:ultpokemontrainer:*:ultolimar::ultalph::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulticeclimbers::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultkingdedede::ultlucas::ultvillager::ultpalutena::ultlittlemac::ultcharizard:
:ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja::ultshulk::ultryu::ultcloud::ultkrool::ultridley::ultisabelle::ultinkling:
:ultincineroar::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultkazuya:(:ultmythra::ultpyra:):ultbanjokazooie::ultsora::ultmiifighters:
*The Trainer is a standalone fighter
I’d assume this would just be a port of For combining the 3DS and Wii U content.
In terms of additional fighters, I’d try to bring back Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, and Snake, so all previous fighters would be present.
In terms of base newcomers, it’d probably be Inkling, Isabelle, Ridley, and K. Rool. Maybe I’ll throw in Chrom and Alph for easy clones.
I feel like Incinoroar would’ve been the bonus DLC fighter in the same way that Greninja would be in this timeline.
For post bonus fighter DLC, I’ll give myself 5 fighters. All the fighters that I chose were pretty much requested fighters more or less with the exception of Mythra/Pyra, who is the promotional pick.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Super Smash bros for Arcade
Released in 2000
Roaster
1.Mario
2.Luigi
3.Peach
4.Bowser
5.Dr.Mario
6.King Wart
7.Donkey Kong
8.Diddy Kong
9.Dixie Kong
10.King K.Rool
11.Yoshi
12.Wario
13.Link
14.Zelda
15.Ganondorf
16.Young Link
17.Ruto
18.Samus
19.Ridley
20.Pit
21.Kirby
22.King Dedede
23.Meta Knight
24.Adeleine
25.Fox
26.Falco
27.Slippy
28.Wolf
29.Takamaru
30.Duck Hunt
31.Pikachu
32.Jigglypuff
33.Charizard
34.Mewtwo
35.Pichu
36.Lugia
37.Ness
38.Paula
39.Ice Climbers
40.Marth
41.Captain Falcon
42.Jody Summer
43.Bio-Rex
44.Mr.Game & Watch
45.Ayumi
46.Little Mac
47.Doc Lewis
48.Prince Sable
49.Lip
50.Toad
51.Feraligatr
52.Marx
53.Celica
54.Skull Kid
55.Palutena
56.Black Shadow
57.Porky
58.King Hippo
The last 9 are secret characters and Master Hand is the final boss

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Super Smash bros for Arcade
Released in 2000
Roaster
1.Mario
2.Luigi
3.Peach
4.Bowser
5.Dr.Mario
6.King Wart
7.Donkey Kong
8.Diddy Kong
9.Dixie Kong
10.King K.Rool
11.Yoshi
12.Wario
13.Link
14.Zelda
15.Ganondorf
16.Young Link
17.Ruto
18.Samus
19.Ridley
20.Pit
21.Kirby
22.King Dedede
23.Meta Knight
24.Adeleine
25.Fox
26.Falco
27.Slippy
28.Wolf
29.Takamaru
30.Duck Hunt
31.Pikachu
32.Jigglypuff
33.Charizard
34.Mewtwo
35.Pichu
36.Lugia
37.Ness
38.Paula
39.Ice Climbers
40.Marth
41.Captain Falcon
42.Jody Summer
43.Bio-Rex
44.Mr.Game & Watch
45.Ayumi
46.Little Mac
47.Doc Lewis
48.Prince Sable
49.Lip
50.Toad
51.Feraligatr
52.Marx
53.Celica
54.Skull Kid
55.Palutena
56.Black Shadow
57.Porky
58.King Hippo
The last 9 are secret characters and Master Hand is the final boss
Funnily enough, I had a similar fantasy about the first three games and Ultimate. Lemme just pull up my roster real quick:
I’m gonna make my own definitive editions of the Smash games, using characters who were confirmed to be considered/cut for their respective games (as many as I see feasible, anyway), along with hints of self-indulgence. Italics bold denotes unlockable characters.
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Luigi
Bowser
Marth
Mewtwo
King Dedede
Ness
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Rivalries
  1. Mario vs. Luigi
  2. Donkey Kong vs. Bowser
  3. Link vs. Marth
  4. Samus vs. Mewtwo
  5. Yoshi vs. King Dedede
  6. Kirby vs. Ness
  7. Fox vs. Captain Falcon
  8. Pikachu vs. Jigglypuff
Luigi
Mario​
Bowser​
Peach​
Wario
Yoshi​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong
Captain Falcon​
Falco
Fox​
Ness​
Ice Climbers​
Kirby​
Samus​
Zelda / Sheik​
Link​
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Jigglypuff
Pikachu​
Scizor​
King Dedede​
Mr. Game & Watch
Ayumi Tachibana
Marth​
Roy
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Luigi
Diddy Kong​
Zelda / Sheik​
Pit​
King Dedede​
Falco
Pokémon Trainer​
Ike​
DeMille
Bowser​
Yoshi​
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers​
Meta Knight​
Wolf
Lucario
Ness
Snake​
Peach​
Wario​
Tetra
R.O.B.
Olimar​
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Lucas​
Sonic
3DS version
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Rosalina & Luma​
Bowser Jr.
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Mewtwo​
Jigglypuff
Scizor
Lucario​
Greninja​
Ness
Captain Falcon​
Marth​
Ike​
Robin​
Wario
Mr. Game & Watch​
Pit​
Palutena​
DeMIlle
Villager​
Little Mac​
Duck Hunt
Takamaru
Lucina​
Dark Pit
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN
Mii Fighters​

Wii U version
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Rosalina & Luma​
Bowser Jr.​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf
Tetra​
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Mewtwo​
Jigglypuff
Scizor
Lucario​
Greninja​
Ness
Captain Falcon​
Marth​
Ike​
Ice Climbers​
Wario
Pit​
Palutena​
Olimar / Alph​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Takamaru​
Lucina​
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Mii Fighters​

Free updates
Tetra (3DS)​
Popo / Nana (3DS)​
Oimar / Alph (3DS)​
Wii Fit Trainer (3DS)​
Shulk (3DS)​
Mr. Game & Watch (Wii U)​
DeMille (Wii U)​
Dark Pit (Wii U)​
Robin (Wii U)​
Duck Hunt (Wii U)​

DLC
Rayman​
Ryu​
Lucas​
Cloud​
Roy​
Azura​
Bayonetta​
Base game
64MeleeBwlfor 3DS / Wii UNewcomersEcho Fighters
  • 1. Mario
  • 2. Donkey Kong
  • 3. Link
  • 4. Samus
  • 5. Yoshi
  • 6. Kirby
  • 7. Fox
  • 8. Pikachu
  • 9. Luigi
  • 10. Bowser
  • 11. Marth
  • 12. Mewtwo
  • 13. King Dedede
  • 14. Ness
  • 15. Captain Falcon
  • 16. Jigglypuff
  • 17. Peach
  • 18. Sheik
  • 19. Zelda
  • 20. Scizor
  • 21. Ice Climbers
  • 22. Wario
  • 23. Diddy Kong
  • 24. Ayumi
  • 25. Ganondorf
  • 26. Falco
  • 27. Roy
  • 28. Mr. Game & Watch
  • 29. Meta Knight
  • 30. Pit
  • 31. Zero Suit Samus
  • 32. Snake
  • 33. Ike
  • 34-36. Pokémon Trainer
    • Totodile
    • Grovyle
    • Charizard
  • 37. Lucas
  • 38. Sonic
  • 39. Olimar
  • 40. Lucario
  • 41. DeMille
  • 42. R.O.B.
  • 43. Tetra
  • 44. Wolf
  • 45. Villager
  • 46. Mega Man
  • 47. Wii Fit Trainer
  • 48. Rosalina & Luma
  • 49. Little Mac
  • 50. Greninja
  • 51-53. Mii Fighters
    • Brawler
    • Swordfighter
    • Gunner
  • 54. Palutena
  • 55. PAC-MAN
  • 56. Robin
  • 57. Shulk
  • 58. Bowser Jr.
  • 59. Takamaru
  • 60. Duck Hunt
  • 61. Rayman
  • 62. Ryu
  • 63. Cloud
  • 64. Azura
  • 65. Bayonetta
  • 66. Inkling
  • 67. Simon / Trevor
  • 68. Alucard
  • 69. Ridley
  • 70. King K. Rool
  • 71-72. Pyra / Mythra
  • 73. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 74. Incineroar
  • 75. Waluigi
  1. (4ε.) Dark Samus
  2. (11ε.) Lucina
  3. (13ε.) Dry Bowser
  4. (15ε.) Black Shadow
  5. (17ε.) Daisy
  6. (23ε.) Dixie Kong
  7. (27ε.) Chrom
  8. (30ε.) Dark Pit
  9. (38ε.) Shadow
  10. (39ε.) Alph
  11. (49ε.) Glass Joe
  12. (56ε.) Celica
  13. (62ε.) Ken

DLC
FIghters Pass Vol. 1Fighters Pass Vol. 2
  • 76. Joker​
  • 77. Slime​
  • 78. Crash Bandicoot​
  • 79. Estelle Bright​
  • 80. Terry Bogard​
  • 81. Banjo & Kazooie​
  • 82. Min Min​
  • 83. Steve​
  • 84. Sephiroth​
  • 85. Kazuya​
  • 86. Dr. Eggman​
  • 87. Sora​
Releases in Japanese arcades in January 1998 before being ported to the N64 a year later

Arcade Ver. Roster
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu

Home port additions
  1. Luigi
  2. Bowser
  3. Marth
  4. Mewtwo
  5. King Dedede
  6. Ness
  7. Captain Falcon
  8. Jigglypuff
Released in arcades in November 2001 and ported to GameCube a year later to coincide with Super Mario Sunshine

Arcade Ver. Roster (* denotes a character made unlockable in the GameCube version)
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Luigi*
  10. Bowser
  11. Marth*
  12. Mewtwo*
  13. King Dedede*
  14. Ness
  15. Captain Falcon
  16. Jigglypuff*
  17. Peach
  18. Zelda / Sheik
  19. Scizor
  20. Ice Climbers
Home port additions
  1. Wario
  2. Diddy Kong
  3. Ayumi Tachibana
  4. Ganondorf
  5. Falco
  6. Roy
  7. Mr. Game & Watch
Released in arcades in July 2007 and ported to the Wii a year later

Arcade Ver. Roster
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Bowser
  10. King Dedede
  11. Peach
  12. Zelda / Sheik
  13. Ice Climbers
  14. Wario
  15. Diddy Kong
  16. Meta Knight
  17. Pit
  18. Snake
Home port additions
  1. Luigi
  2. Marth
  3. Ness
  4. Captain Falcon
  5. Jigglypuff
  6. Ganondorf
  7. Falco
  8. Mr. Game & Watch
  9. Ike
  10. Pokémon Trainer
  11. Lucas
  12. Sonic
  13. Olimar
  14. Lucario
  15. DeMille
  16. R.O.B.
  17. Tetra
  18. Wolf
Released in arcades in June 2018 and ported to the Switch in December 2019, with updates to the arcade version for evert newcomer revealed
    • 1. Mario
    • 2. Donkey Kong
    • 3. Link
    • 4. Samus
    • 5. Yoshi
    • 6. Kirby
    • 7. Fox
    • 8. Pikachu
    • 9. Luigi
    • 10. Bowser
    • 11. Marth
    • 12. Mewtwo
    • 13. King Dedede
    • 14. Ness
    • 15. Captain Falcon
    • 16. Jigglypuff
  • Melee
    • 17. Peach
    • 18. Sheik
    • 19. Zelda
    • 20. Scizor
    • 21. Ice Climbers
    • 22. Wario
    • 23. Diddy Kong
    • 24. Ayumi
    • 25. Ganondorf
    • 26. Falco
    • 27. Roy
    • 28. Mr. Game & Watch
  • Brawl
    • 29. Meta Knight
    • 30. Pit
    • 31. Zero Suit Samus
    • 32. Snake
    • 33. Ike
    • 34-36. Pokémon Trainer
    • 37. Lucas
    • 38. Sonic
    • 39. Olimar
    • 40. Lucario
    • 41. DeMille
    • 42. R.O.B.
    • 43. Tetra
    • 44. Wolf
  • for 3DS / Wii U
    • 45. Villager
    • 46. Mega Man
    • 47. Wii Fit Trainer
    • 48. Rosalina & Luma
    • 49. Little Mac
    • 50. Greninja
    • 51-53. Mii Fighters
      • Brawler
      • Swordfighter
      • Gunner
    • 54. Palutena
    • 55. PAC-MAN
    • 56. Robin
    • 57. Shulk
    • 58. Bowser Jr.
    • 59. Takamaru
    • 60. Duck Hunt
    • 61. Rayman
    • 62. Ryu
    • 63. Cloud
    • 64. Azura
    • 65. Bayonetta
  • Newcomers
    • 66. Inkling
    • 67. Simon / Trevor
    • 68. Alucard
  • Echo Fighters
    • (11ε.) Lucina
    • (13ε.) Dry Bowser
    • (15ε.) Black Shadow
    • (17ε.) Daisy
    • (23ε.) Dixie Kong
    • (27ε.) Chrom
    • (30ε.) Dark Pit
    • (38ε.) Shadow
    • (39ε.) Alph
    • (49ε.) Glass Joe
Arcade updates (later added to the Switch version)
  • EVO 2018
    • 69. Ridley
    • 70. King K. Rool
    • (4ε.) Dark Samus
    • (56ε.) Celica
  • September 2018
    • 71-72. Pyra / Mythra
  • February 2019
    • 73. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • E3 2019
    • (62ε.) Ken
    • 74. Incineroar
    • 75. Waluigi
  • DLC characters
    • 76. Joker
    • 77. Slime
    • 78. Crash Bandicoot
    • 79. Estelle Bright
    • 80. Terry Bogard
    • 81. Banjo & Kazooie
    • 82. Min Min
    • 83. Steve
    • 84. Sephiroth
    • 85. Kazuya
    • 86. Dr. Eggman
    • 87. Sora

I don’t know what the true max is because Smash Remix is technically able to support 28 characters on the N64.

For convenience, I’ll highlight my answers above with the assumption that there are still some time constraints (looking back, I need to modify this as the Gamecube and Wii are more powerful than the 3DS)
Thank you for giving me a legitimate answer. Although it did surprise me how many you could fit onto the home consoles since the Gamecube.

Granted, 8-12 seems like a general assumption from the hardware focused on bits and bytes. But over 60 fighters for the more advanced hardware, and even the mobile phone version can withstand almost double the roster size that the N64 and DS have? You have to be pulling my leg or something.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Another SSBU hypothetical... What if SSBU focused on new stages? Stage selection was still decided to go along with SSBU's fighter roster, so I tried to avoid picks that seemed like "teases" for one fighter or another, though the music selection would be different ofc. Included some spiritual successor stages, but still tried to focus on new stage ideas.

1. Battlefield (Super Smash Bros.)
  2. New original stage (layout of Big Battlefield)
  3. Final Destination
  4. Super Bell Hill (Super Mario Bros.)
  5. Bowser’s Castle
  6. Rainbow Road (New layout, not a 3DS repeat, based on MK8’s 64 Rainbow Road)
  7. New Donk City Hall
  8. Dire Dire Docks
  9. Steam Gardens
  10. Coconut Mall
  11. Trampoline Time
  12. Mario Paint
  13. Storks’ Sanctuary (Yoshi)
  14. Frog’s Belly
  15. 25M (Donkey Kong)
  16. Treehouse & Banana Hoard
  17. Bramble Blast
  18. Sawmill Thrill
  19. K. Rool Kountry (Transforming composite of all K. Rool boss fight arenas)
  20. Wario’s Castle (Wario)
  21. Super Game MakerMatic 21
  22. Great Plateau Tower (The Legend of Zelda)
  23. NES Overworld
  24. Fire Temple
  25. Kokiri Forest
  26. Great Fairy Fountain (based on Wind Waker)
  27. Ganondorf’s Tower
  28. Tallon Overworld (Metroid)
  29. SR388
  30. Butter Building (Kirby)
  31. Snow Land (Based on Epic Yarn)
  32. Sectonia’s Gem
  33. Dream Course
  34. FX Cruise (Star Fox)
  35. Homeworld Core
  36. Pokemon Stadium X (Pokemon)
  37. Pokemon Go
  38. Kanto GB
  39. Hoenn Pokemon League
  40. Iki Town
  41. Poke Floats 2
  42. Pokemon Channel
  43. Lumine Hall (EarthBound)
  44. Arena (New layout, not a Wii U repeat) (Fire Emblem)
  45. Dragon’s Table
  46. Opera House
  47. Mario’s Cement Factory (Game & Watch)
  48. Inside Palutena’s Temple (Kid Icarus)
  49. Wistful Wild (Pikmin)
  50. Gyromite (ROB)
  51. Toy Day (Animal Crossing)
  52. The Roost
  53. Dinosaur Museum
  54. Obstacle Course (Wii Fit)
  55. Boxing Ring (Punch-Out!!) (New layout, not a repeat)
  56. NYC Training
  57. Sword Valley (Xenoblade)
  58. New Los Angeles
  59. Splatfest (Splatoon)
  60. Moray Towers
  61. Big Shell (Metal Gear)
  62. VR Training
  63. Green Hill Zone (new layout, not a Brawl repeat) (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  64. Chemical Plant Zone
  65. Studiopolis Zone
  66. Central Highway (Mega Man)
  67. Quick Man Stage
  68. Mappy (Pac-Man)
  69. Pac-Land 2 (Based on Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures)
  70. Suzaku Castle (New layout, not a 3DS/Wii U repeat) (Street Fighter)
  71. Flamenco Tavern
  72. Midgar Slums (Final Fantasy)
  73. Highwind
  74. Vigrid (Bayonetta)
  75. Dracula’s Castle (Castlevania)
  76. Nester’s Funky Bowling (Nintendo Power)
  77. Rhythm Rally (Rhythm Heaven)
  78. Concert Hall (Tomodachi Life)
  79. Football Court (Nintendo Pocket Football Club)
  80. Spring Stadium (Arms) (Assume Min Min’s DLC would have a different stage)
  81. Frog Crossing (Frogger)
  82. After Burner (After Burner)
  83. Dangerous Cruise (The Outfoxies)
  84. Saffron City (Retro stages - 64)
  85. Hyrule Castle
  86. Planet Zebes
  87. Mushroom Kingdom
  88. Temple (Retro stages - Melee)
  89. Corneria
  90. Yoshi’s Story
  91. Mute City
  92. Smashville (Retro stages - Brawl)
  93. Castle Siege
  94. Pirate Ship
  95. Hanenbow
  96. Pac-Maze (Retro stages - 3DS)
  97. Magicant
  98. Living Room
  99. Gerudo Valley
  100. Wuhu Island (Retro stages - Wii U)
  101. Duck Hunt
  102. Umbra Clock Tower
  103. Garden of Hope

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Thank you for giving me a legitimate answer. Although it did surprise me how many you could fit onto the home consoles since the Gamecube.

Granted, 8-12 seems like a general assumption from the hardware focused on bits and bytes. But over 60 fighters for the more advanced hardware, and even the mobile phone version can withstand almost double the roster size that the N64 and DS have? You have to be pulling my leg or something.
To be honest, my answers should be taken with a grain of salt because there are many factors to consider outside of maxing out the system’s storage. If we just care about maximum storage space as our constraint, I think some Brawl mods have close to or even more than 100 fighters.

To be honest, my answers should be taken with a grain of salt because there are many factors to consider outside of maxing out the system’s storage. If we just care about maximum storage space as our constraint, I think some Brawl mods have close to or even more than 100 fighters.
Thanks, but I think I'll stick with your given answers for now. To me, they all look to stand within reason of any additional content. For example, I'm not surprised the gap between the SNES, N64, and Gamecube is varied, because the N64 was their first polygonal console and the Gamecube was their first attempt at putting their games on discs.

Also, in spite of its low sales, the Virtual Boy does at least look more capable of a fighting game roster in the double digits.

Likewise, if the 3DS can have a Smash game of its own in our world, of course it can allow for five times the roster that the DS could have.

And those in the Nintendo community around the Switch's launch would likely recall how BOTW simply doesn't run as well on the Wii U as it does on the Switch, so I do understand why you believe it can hold over 100 combatants with that logic.

D

Deleted member

Garfield: Furr-ious Frenzy
A Garfield platform fighter .

1. Garfield (Plays pretty much like NASB)
2. Jon (Uses a lot of dancing and attacks based on his various jobs)
3. Odie (Uses his tounge and bounces aelund )
4. Nermal (Would be based around his "cute" nature, the Pichu of the game )
5. Arlene (Uses a lot of stuff like blowing bubbles and sharpening her nails)
6. Harry (The Wolf to Garfield's Fox. Uses a lot of claw attacks and moves making use of his greedy nature)
7. Liz (Uses a lot of medical equipment)
8. Squeak (Second smallest character in the game. Is all about speed and avoiding attacks)
9. Binky (Is a clown. Uses all the typical clown things. Spraying flower, balloons, cannons, stc)
10. Lyman (A semi clone of Jon. Would have some attacks reflecting the memes around his mysterious nature)
11. Doc Boy (Uses farming equipment and tools)
12. Al Swindler (Is all about laying traps for your opponent)
13. Vito Cappelletti (Throws pizzas and uses pizza making equipment)
14. Dirk Dinkum (A big boy. All about bullying your opponent)
15. Winona Cauldron (A typical witch. Magic attacks and all)
16. Garzooka (Garfield but a superhero. Flies around and does superhero stuff)
17. 1970's Garfield (A chonky boy. Doesn't actually do much but you can use that size to your advantage)
18. Orson (Guest character from Us Acres, does things from those strips)
19. Gnorm Gnat (Guest character from one of Jim Davis's first stories. I know nothing about this one. He'd be small though)
20. Heathcliff (Guest character. Would have a moveset full of references)

Last edited by a moderator:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Teen Titans X Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes: Titans Assemble

Teen Titans side
1.Robin
2.Starfire
3.Cyborg
4.Beast Boy
5.Raven
6.Slade
7.Jinx
8.Gizmo
9.Mammoth
10.Bumblebee
11.Aqualad
12.Thunder
13.Lightning
14.Terra
15.Mumbo
16.Speedy
17.Kid Flash
18.Más y Menos
19.Pantha
20.Killer Moth
21.Red X
22.Punk Rocket

EMH Side
1.Iron-Man
2.Thor
3.Hulk
4.Wasp
5.AntMan
6.Captain America
7.Black Panther
8.Hawkeye
9.Ms.Marvel
10.Vision
11.Spider-Man
12.Rocket Raccoon
13.Black Widow
14.Mockingbird
15.Loki
16.Enchantress
17.Zemo
18.Abomination
19.M.O.D.O.K
20.Dr.Doom
21.Ultron
22.Madame Viper

Bosses
1.Trigon
2.Malcinor
3.Cinderblock
4.Surtur
5.Red Skull
6.Kang the Conqueror

DLC
Teen Titans Side
1.Wildebeest
2.Hot Shot
3.Brother Blood
4.Control Freak
5.Blackfire
6.Batman (Guest Fighter)
7.Joker (Guest Fighter)

EMH side
1.Mr.Fantastic
2.Invisable Woman
3.Human Torch
4.Thing
5.Wolverine
6.Green Goblin (Guest Fighter)
7.Thanos (Guest Fighter)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
CTRNF sequel roster

All CTRNF characters return - except for Papu Papu, for hopefully-obvious reasons - while all tracks also return - including Papu's Pyramid.

The base game's extra characters are almost entirely original, 2 new heroes, 5 new villains, and an extra unlockable character beyond N. Tropy in the form of Femtropy. There is a new story mode that features these characters.

Grands Prix:

GP #1: It's About Time!
  1. CatBat
  2. Alt. Tawna (Nitro bar unlock)
  3. Shnurgle

GP #2: Impostors Amo-WITH Us.
  1. Fake Coco
  2. Good Cortex
  3. Willy Wumpa Cheeks (Nitro bar unlock)

GP #3: Underwater Adventure
  1. Louise
  2. Rusty Walrus (Nitro unlock)
  3. Sharkbite

GP #4: Pipe Dreams
  1. Mr. Crumb (Nitro unlock)
  2. Pink Elephant
  3. Viscount

GP #5: Ripto's Rage
  1. Ripto (Nitro bar unlock)
  2. Elora
  3. Bianca
  4. Cynder
  5. Enchantress

GP #6: The Big Quarrel
  1. Evil Twins (Nitro unlock)
  2. Good Megamix
  3. Skinny and Fat

GP #7: Call of the Wild
  1. Warthog
  2. The Elementals (Nitro bar unlock)
  3. Bearminator

GP #8: Mind over Mutant
  1. Monster N. Brio (Nitro bar unlock)
  2. Ratcicle
  3. Sludge Salesman
  4. Pyscho Mandrake
  5. Scorporilla

GP #9: Rare Racers
  1. Timber
  2. Pipsy
  3. Wizpig
  4. Taj
  5. Banjo & Kazooie (Nitro bar unlock)
GP #9: By Financial Demand...
  1. Wumpa Fruit
  2. Bumpa Berries
  3. Potion
  4. Crystal
  5. Princess Chick

GP #10: Thanks for Playing!
  1. Pre-emptive character from Crash 5 or 6
  2. Fixed Bearminator
  3. Aku-Aku (nitro bar unlock)
  4. Uka-Uka
  5. Clippy (or a Skylander of choice if the buyout doesn't go through)

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Console wars fighting game roster
:ultmario:(Nintendo consoles):ultpikachu: (Pocket Pokemon):ultgnw: (Game & Watch):ultrob: (Gadget):ultwiifittrainer:(Wii Balance Board):ultduckhunt: (Zapper)Harry (Teleroboxer) (Virtual Boy)Matt (Wii)Laboman (Nintendo Labo)Diskun (Famicon Disk System)
:ultsonic: (SEGA consoles)Alex Kidd (Sega Master System)Red (Angry Birds) (Smartphone consoles)Dreamcast (Sega Hard Girls)Agumon (Digital Monster)Don-chan (Taiko Drum)Mametchi (Tamagotchi)Clippy (Windows consoles)Master Cheif (Xbox consoles)Bonk (PC Engine)
Space Invaders (Earliest consoles)Gex (3DO):ult_terry:(Neo Geo)Crash Bandicoot (Playstation)Axel Steel (Guitar Controller)Toro Inou (Pocketstation)Earthworm Jim (Intellivision Amico)Snake (Nokia)Dirk (Laserdisc consoles)Morshu (CD-i)

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
An Injustice 3 roster since NrS have heavily implied its happening after MK1.

Plot: After the events of IJ2, Batman's new Justice League have been protecting the world and things have been fairly peaceful. But things are compacted when Ra's al Ghul and the League of Shadows return, having been silently working in the background the whole time. He has assembled a new Legion of Doom and has used his Lazarus Pit to return old heroes from the dead. Now Batman is forced to call on unlikely allies in order to save the day

1. Superman
  2. Batman
  3. Wonder Woman
  4. Flash
  5. Green Lantern
  6. Aquaman
  7. Green Arrow
  8. Black Canary
  9. Supergirl
  10. Shazam
  11. Cyborg
  12. Nightwing
  13. Raven
  14. Starfire
  15. Beast Boy
  16. Lex Luthor
  17. Joker
  18. Harley Quinn
  19. Catwoman
  20. Deathstroke
  21. Talon (Damian Wayne)
  22. Martian Manhunter
  23. Zatanna
  24. John Constantine
  25. Etrigan The Demon
  26. Circe
  27. Mirror Master
  28. Clayface
  29. Star Sapphire
  30. Ra's al Ghul

Pre Order:
King Shark

Pass 1
  1. Booster Gold
  2. Katana
  3. Lobo
  4. Mr. Terrific
  5. Johnny Cage
  6. Invincible

Pass 2
  1. Static
  2. Huntress
  3. Stargirl
  4. Plastic Man
  5. The Mask
  6. Judge Dread

Last edited:

Tekken_Guy

Smash Apprentice
Sony Entertainment Smash Bros. Roster

1. Spider-Man
2. Miles Morales
3. Venom
4. Peter Venkman
5. Stay Puff Marshmallow Man
6. Daniel LaRusso (teen)
7. Johnny Lawrence (adult)
8. Papa Smurf
9. Smurfette
10. Flint Lockwood
11. Selene
12. Lisbeth Salander
13. Charlie’s Angels
14. Mr. Roarke
15. Mr. Magoo
16. Stuart Little
17. Smolder Bravestone
18. Ruby Roundhouse
19. Van Zant
20. Slappy
21. Teal’c
22. Tallahassee
23. Wichita
24. Drac
25. Mavis
26. Walter White
27. Jesse Pinkman
28. Saul Goodman
29. Huey Freeman
30. Three Stooges
31. John Hancock
32. Billy Butcher
33. Homelander
34. El Mariachi
35. Agent J & Agent K
36. Robert Langdon
37. Jerry Seinfeld
38. Kramer
39. Joel
40. Ellie

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Marvel vs Capcom. The return

Marvel side
1.Spider-Man
2.Green Goblin (new)
3.Venom
4.Iron-Man
5.War Machine
6.Black Widow
7.Hawkeye
8.Wasp (new)
9.Ant-Man (new)
10.Hulk
11.She-Hulk
12.Thor
13.Loki (new)
14.Captain America
15.Black Panther
16.Captain Marvel
17.Gamora
18.Rocket Raccoon
19.Groot (new)
20.Thanos
21.Wolverine
22.Cyclops
23.Storm
24.Scarlet Witch (new)
25.Magneto
26.Deadpool
27.Mr.Fantasic (new)
28.Invisable Woman (new)
29.Human Torch (new)
30.Thing (new)
31.Dr.Doom
32.Super Skrull
33.Nova
34.Ghost Rider
35.Devil Dinosaur (new)
36.Ms.Marvel (new)
37.M.O.D.O.K
38.Mockingbird (new)
39.Winter Soldier
40.Sential

Capcom Side
1.Ryu
2.Ken (new)
3.Chun Li
4.Guile
5.M.Bison
6.Juri (new)
7.Megaman
8.Roll
9.Dr.Wily (new)
10.X
11.Zero
12.Jill
13.Leon
14.Wesker
15.Monster Hunter
16.Rathalos (new)
17.Arthur
18.Firebrand
19.Morrigan
20.Felicia
21.Demetri (new)
22.Lord Raptor
23.Strider Kiryu
24.Amingo
25.Hayato
26.Akuma
27.Hsien-Ko
28.Viewtiful Joe
29.Amaterasu
30.Nathen Spencer
31.Dante
32.Nemesis
33.Phoenix Wright
34.Maya Fey (new)
35.Frank West
36.Sigma
37.Chris
38.Mike Hagger
39.Vergil
40.Poison

DLC
Marvel Side
1.Ultron
2.Star-lord (new)
3.Psylocke
4.Zabu (new)
5.Moon Girl (new)
Capcom Side
1.Zangief
2.Miles Edgeworth (new)
3.Elena (new)
4.Tron Bonne
5.Regina (new)

Last edited:
Street Fighter VS Capcom

Street Fighter:
1: Ryu
2: Ken
3: Chun-Li
4: M. Bison
5: Dan Hibiki
6: Alex
7: Dudley
8: Elena
9: Rufus
10: Decapre
11: F.A.N.G.
12: Menat
13: Luke
14: JP
15: Kimberly
16: Sagat
17: Guile
18: Akuma
19: Q
20: Crimson Viper

Capcom:
1: Classic Mega Man
2: Zero
3: Tron Bonne
4: Dr. Wily
5: Mike Haggar
6: Jill Valentine
7: Ethan Winters
8: Monster Hunter
9: Phoenix Wright
10: Akira Kazama
11: Sir Arthur
12: Morrigan Aensland
13: Dimitri Maximoff
14: Viewtiful Joe
15: Amaterasu
16: Dante
17: Vergil
18: Strider Hiryu
19: Frank West
20: Edward Falcon

DLC Wave 1: The Missing Links
1: Zangief
2: Splash Woman
3: Poison (Final Fight)
4: Leon S. Kennedy
5: Nathan Spencer

DLC Wave 2: King of Clubs
1: Captain America
2: Wolverine
3: Scrooge McDuck
4: Figment
5: Homer Simpson

The Street Fighter icons vs. the Capcom all-stars, with some Disney characters caught in the crossfire. I await any comments that come my way.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
You've heard of British Smash Bros - now get ready for Canadian smash bros! Featuring mostly made-in-Canada characters but some Canadian characters from other countries as well. Here's the roster (I'm actually really proud of it...):
melee eh.png

Comic Books
1. Wolverine (X-Men)
2. Deadpool (X-Men)
3. Nelvana (Nelvana of the Northern Lights)
TV & Movies
4. Bob & Doug Mackenzie (Strange Brew)
5. Atanarjuat (Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner)
6. Bon Cop/Bad Cop (Bon Cop Bad Cop)
7. Loonette (The Big Comfy Couch)
8. Bubbles (Trailer Park Boys)
Cartoons
9. Dudley Do-Right (The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show)
10. Cyril Sneer (The Raccoons)
11. Ed, Edd 'n Eddy (Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy)
12. Johnny Test (Johnny Test)
Video Games
13. Vaas Montenegro (Far Cry)
14. Madeline (Celeste)
Sports
15. The Raptor (Toronto Raptors)
Boss
16. Original sasquatch character

Terrance and Philip were considered but I figured I already had too many duo fighters and cartoon characters. Also this game would definitely have some mode where Chris McLean would be some kind of host but I didn't want him to be the main announcer because that would make the game's tone weirdly violent.

You've heard of British Smash Bros - now get ready for Canadian smash bros! Featuring mostly made-in-Canada characters but some Canadian characters from other countries as well. Here's the roster (I'm actually really proud of it...):
View attachment 374433
Comic Books
1. Wolverine (X-Men)
2. Deadpool (X-Men)
TV & Movies
Cartoons
Video Games
14. Madeline (Celeste)
Sports
Boss

Terrance and Philip were considered but I figured I already had too many duo fighters and cartoon characters. Also this game would definitely have some mode where Chris McLean would be some kind of host but I didn't want him to be the main announcer because that would make the game's tone weirdly violent.
As an animation fan, seeing the comic book heroine that inspired Michael Hirsh in the 70s in this roster makes me smile.

However, I would main Deadpool, Bob & Doug, Loonette, Dudley Do-Right, the Eds, and Madeline. I do appreciate the variety of Canadian spirit here.

But to be honest, while I can do without Terrence and Philip as fighters, I'd argue most of these fighters are used to the level of violence that Chris McLean deals in. I'd even say that Deadpool would THRIVE in the Total Drama universe.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
As an animation fan, seeing the comic book heroine that inspired Michael Hirsh in the 70s in this roster makes me smile.

However, I would main Deadpool, Bob & Doug, Loonette, Dudley Do-Right, the Eds, and Madeline. I do appreciate the variety of Canadian spirit here.

But to be honest, while I can do without Terrence and Philip as fighters, I'd argue most of these fighters are used to the level of violence that Chris McLean deals in. I'd even say that Deadpool would THRIVE in the Total Drama universe.
Thanks! As for the Chris McLean thing I mostly meant that you can’t really properly show his character in a thing like this without him encouraging everyone to absolutely brutalize each other, and to have jokes where he plays up the violent aspect of this game. While those would be funny, if he was the main default announcer it would probably distract from the tone of the game and honestly make it seem a lot more dark than a light, fun platform fighter should be.

I definitely like him interacting with your Deadpool or Wolverine’s though. I would probably have his mode be an obstacle course or something based on something you’d see in Total Drama.

Thanks! As for the Chris McLean thing I mostly meant that you can’t really properly show his character in a thing like this without him encouraging everyone to absolutely brutalize each other, and to have jokes where he plays up the violent aspect of this game. While those would be funny, if he was the main default announcer it would probably distract from the tone of the game and honestly make it seem a lot more dark than a light, fun platform fighter should be.

I definitely like him interacting with your Deadpool or Wolverine’s though. I would probably have his mode be an obstacle course or something based on something you’d see in Total Drama.
Come to think of it, a Total Drama mode would be the best way to incorporate the show in a game like this.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
View attachment 374433
Comic Books
1. Wolverine (X-Men)
2. Deadpool (X-Men)
TV & Movies
Cartoons
Video Games
14. Madeline (Celeste)
Sports
Boss

>No Ruby Gillman
-10/100

Maybe I'll remake a Polish smash bros. roster after seeing British and Canadian smash bros rosters....

(I'm allowing only characters that were made in Poland or they are fictional characters originating from Poland in their universes)

The roster:
Literature:
1. Geralt of Rivia
2. Dr. Kris Kelvin (Solaris)
3. Pan Kleks (Mr. Inkblot)
4. Tadeusz Soplica
5. Don Pedro (Baltazar Sponge) (I wanted a villain-over-protag pick)
6. Józio Kowalski (Ferdydurke)
(Yes, Poland is known for it's literature)

Movies:
1. Ryszard Ochódzki (Bear)
2. Jerzy Kiler (Kiler)
3. Kazimierz & Władysław (Sami Swoi/Our folks)
4. Ernst Stavro (James Bond) (Another villain)

Comics:
1. Kajko & Kokosz
2. Golem (Marvel) (Dennis Golembuski)
3. Jeż Jerzy (George the Hedgehog)
4. Captain Żbik
5. Tytus, Romek & Atomek (Stance fighter)
6. Polandball (It's based on Poland)

Cartoons:
1. Bolek and Lolek
2. Reksio
3. Koziołek Matołek
4. Czesio (Włatcy móch)

TV shows:
1. Andrzej Bielawski (the americans)
2. Ferdek Kiepski
3. Darek Jankowski (39 & half)
4. Thomas Banacek (Banacek)

Video games:
1. Lidia Sobieska (TEKKEN)
2. Billy (Call of Juarez)
3. Kyle Crane (Dying light)
4. Kao the Kangaroo

Others:
1. Sir Twardowski (Folklore)
2. White Eagle (Coat of arms)
3. Heart and Brain/Serce i Rozum (Orange commercials) (Duo fighters a la ice Climbers)
4. Wojak (Meme/Internet) (Mii fighter of the game)

Boss: Wawel Dragon (It takes place in Wawel Castle)

(Alright, it was kinda hard to find characters for the roster, but at least I don't think it would be that bad)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
So, I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but the thing is - I've kind of been on the fence because I've not really wanted to end up screwing this up. A Marvel vs. Capcom roster in 2023 is in a comparatively interesting spot compared to Infinite - what with the rights to the Fantastic Four and the X-Men now being in Disney's hands. That said, the series also has a lot of good will that it needs to claw back, which is why I'm suggesting a roster of 50 characters - matching that of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It's a lot, but I think it's at least possible. I might consider doing some seasons of DLC on top of that - but not right now.

However, I've given myself some strict limitations. On the Marvel side, all characters included have to be in some way promotion for the MCU, or one of Marvel's upcoming projects - though they don't necessarily have to be the headlining character from the media. In addition, characters who are more prominent in the fourth or fifth phases of the MCU will be given preferential treatment over characters from earlier. On both sides, an important aspect is a variety of movesets and characters, as well as decent representation between genders, races, and so forth.

Also, I have a basic concept for the game's story mode - though little more than that. Kang, in an attempt to destroy the Avengers, attempts to travel into the near future and arrives in a timeline where many of the Avengers were defeated during the events of Infinite and the two worlds of Marvel and Capcom are still fused. However, due to this, a new generation of heroes has risen to take on the threat that Kang would otherwise pose. Deciding to join forces with Dr. Wily, the pair attempt to take the world for themselves once and for all - even in spite of issues with other villains like Magneto and Gill having their own vested interests to consider.

That all being said... let's take a look!

Returning characters from previous Marvel vs. Capcom games are indicated in yellow.
Characters new to the Marvel vs. Capcom series are indicated in green.
New versions of returning characters to the Marvel vs. Capcom series are indicated in blue.
Secret characters (which can be unlocked via inputting a special series of commands on the character select screen) are indicated in red.
  1. Captain America. The variation of Cap that I'm including here is his Sam Wilson look, seen in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier as well as the upcoming Captain America: New World Order, though this version of Cap has existed in the comics since 2014. His moveset giving him various aerial options as well as more traditional shield-based attacks would be a nice change of pace for the series, and I think this makes a lot of sense overall.​
  2. Wolverine. Technically promoting the upcoming X-Men '97 series, Wolverine was an obvious inclusion that a lot of people felt was a terrible exclusion from the original game. Given he's already appeared in a lot of the series, I imagine he'd play somewhat similarly to his typical interpretations.​
  3. Spider-Man. Though, similarly to Cap, I'm going with the Miles Morales interpretation so as to promote the Spider-Verse series, as well as the upcoming game Spider-Man 2. Unlike your more traditional Spidey, Miles has a couple of moves with his electrically-based abilities, and his dodges may have him use his invisibility as a nice visual cue. That said, your traditional Peter Parker version of the character would be a "deluxe" costume for him.​
  4. Captain Marvel. Given she's effectively one of the MCU's most prominent characters by now, and a headlining inclusion in Infinite, Captain Marvel only made sense to include overall. Not much to add here.​
  5. Thor. Specifically her Jane Foster appearance, in reference to Thor: Love and Thunder, as well as being another prominent comic pick that I felt would be fun. A Thor of some description felt like an obvious choice of some kind, and I felt Jane would be a nice change of pace compared to our traditional Thor Odinson pick.​
  6. War Machine. The question immediately on people's mind looking at this roster is probably, "Where's Iron Man?" I felt that this decision actually makes sense for a few reasons. Firstly, MCU Iron Man (or, well, Tony Stark) is dead. He might not be dead in the comics, but he's dead in the movies, and Disney like to have a degree of brand synergy going on. We don't yet know enough about Ironheart's "default" MCU look to really warrant her inclusion, and I feel like fans would dislike her getting in over both Tony and Rhodey. Plus, back in the first Marvel vs. Capcom, War Machine was included over Iron Man all the way back then. This is probably one of my most controversial takes with this roster, but I think it's a logical and still fun conclusion.​
  7. Ms. Marvel. Admittedly this one was a little more difficult overall - mostly because the MCU version of the character has those strange energy-based powers. However... I like to hope that they'd let us use Ms. Marvel's classic powerset of elasticity and the like. I really hope they would, at least. It also helps that Kamala's a prominent character in the future of the MCU overall, too.​
  8. Hawkeye. Specifically in her Kate Bishop appearance, I felt a Hawkeye would be a fun inclusion who - despite obviously representing the Hawkeye Disney+ series - could still have an unusual moveset with a mix of zoning tools and close-up combat. The use of things like trick arrows as well makes it all the more interesting, in my mind, and allows for plenty of potential for something fun and fresh.​
  9. Doctor Strange. Doctor Strange is another pretty obvious, but still solid, inclusion. I considered a few different magically-aligned characters (some of which you'll see later!) but I felt like Strange himself would still be a lot of fun to include overall, even if his moveset is likely going to have to be based moreso on the MCU's version of the character.​
  10. Storm. Our second X-Men character, I originally considered replacing her with Cyclops due to Thor also having electrically-based abilities - but Storm feels like she'd be a lot of fun in his place given her ability to control the weather. Again, her default look is based on the X-Men '97 appearance, though she'll also have other alts.​
  11. Rocket Raccoon & Groot. A combined character in a similar vein to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Rocket & Groot would combine mid-range trapping and keep-away tools from Groot with long-range zoning and trapping tools with Rocket. I felt it'd be necessary to include at least one Guardians character, and whilst I did consider either Star-Lord or Gamora for the role (or even Adam Warlock), I felt Rocket and Groot would be the most iconic pair to bring into here.​
  12. Wasp. It's kind of surprising to me that we've never seen Ant-Man, the Wasp, or even other characters from that area of the Marvel universe, within a Marvel vs. Capcom game. That said, I felt like the Wasp would be a more interesting inclusion than Ant-Man given she also has his shrinking abilities, though also has access to her stingers and the ability to fly - making her a solid candidate for a glass cannon rushdown character.​
  13. Thing. Our representative for the Fantastic Four considering the upcoming film, I genuinely considered all four - but I felt the Thing would be the most iconic of the bunch (shoutout to the Human Torch, though!) Lowkey, I'm kind of surprised that none of the FF have ever been in a Marvel vs. Capcom game before (unless you count Super-Skrull?), so he'd be a popular pick for fans. Thing's moveset is pretty much our stand-in for the traditional Hulk kit - who I've elected to replace with...​
  14. She-Hulk. Including her over the more traditional Hulk might seem like a very weird choice, but I think it's almost logical for Marvel to want us to do this. Considering the issues with the Hulk's film rights being owned by Universal, plus the fact that the She-Hulk Disney+ series exists, it makes sense for them to ask for her to be included over her cousin. That said, I still think she'd have plenty of moveset potential.​
  15. Moon Knight. Another character mostly included due to the presence of a Disney+ series, Moon Knight is also a character who I think a lot of people would genuinely quite like to see. Not much to say on him, admittedly.​
  16. Blade. And yet another brand new character to the MvC series! Blade's got an upcoming film of his own, but I'd like to have his overall vibe here inspired at least in part by the Wesley Snipes films, especially with a variety of weapons from those films as well as the books. He's been a decently popular character that a lot of people would like to see, and he also doesn't have a problem with being in daylight (which other vampiric characters may have had.)​
  17. Jubilee. Another X-Men member, but this one being a bit more of a wild-card and a more direct opportunity to represent X-Men '97, Jubilee is a decently popular and more recent character who I felt would be a cool new character to bring in. I originally penned Gambit in her place, but she works well to represent the whole "new generation" thing I had going on with this roster overall!​
  18. Howard the Duck. I'd say he's probably my "wild-card" pick for the Marvel roster, but regardless, he's had a couple of appearances within the MCU and is a decently popular, if strange, character that a lot of people would find to be a fun, if odd, inclusion. As for exactly how he'd work, I think he'd use a combination of Quack-Fu - and perhaps he could bring in the Iron Duck armor for super moves.​
  19. Scarlet Witch. So, I felt like she'd be another obvious "mage-like" pick that felt like a reasonable choice. Whether you wanted to make her a hero or a villain in the story mode - that's up to you! That said, either way, she'd still be able to have a massively fun and unique moveset all of her own.​
  20. Man-Thing. Another wild-card pick in my mind, Man-Thing is picked mostly as a more obscure pick overall - but I felt that he'd be very interesting regardless. Helpfully, he's also appeared in the Werewolf by Night special presentation. In terms of his moveset, I like to imagine his main gimmick would be that his touch burns people, so he can act as a decent grappler.​
  21. Kang the Conqueror. The main villain of this game, alongside Wily. I think Kang's inclusion makes a lot of sense given that he's the main villain of the MCU's Multiverse Saga, though we could totally do something unique with him here too. I'll talk about the story ideas later on.​
  22. Magneto. Our fourth X-Men-adjescent character, Magneto is a solid olive-branch to the previous fans of the series that may have been lost due to Infinite - partially due to a very unfortunate quote that I'm sure you all remember. That said, he'd also spring to mind as a potentially interesting story character overall.​
  23. Loki. Another newcomer, surprisingly enough! Again, his MCU relevance is the key reason as to why he's here, but I also felt he'd have a lot of unique moveset potential what with his magical abilities and his general vibe of trickery and whatnot.​
  24. Green Goblin. I wanted at least one iconic Spidey villain here, and even though Venom is the traditional choice that people would go with, Green Goblin finally getting a chance to shine makes a lot of sense to me - especially following Spider-Man: No Way Home.​
  25. The Captain. Our secret character on the Marvel side, The Captain is our more traditional "Steve Rogers" inclusion who I felt would make a lot of sense as an interesting secret pick. I originally planned on making this Nomad or U.S. Agent, but including Steve Rogers in an older form would make him a great rival to Ryu, and I could easily justify costumes based on other Steve Rogers looks.​

Returning characters from previous Marvel vs. Capcom games are indicated in yellow.
Characters new to the Marvel vs. Capcom series are indicated in green.
New versions of returning characters to the Marvel vs. Capcom series are indicated in blue.
Secret characters (which can be unlocked via inputting a special series of commands on the character select screen) are indicated in red.
  1. Ryu. Ryu's appearance is, uniquely, based on his most modern look here - that being his older appearance from Street Fighter V and Street Fighter 6. Whilst his moveset is as dependable as ever, my thought process for him is that he's effectively passing on the torch to his younger student...
  2. Sakura. If I wanted to go for a "New Generation" theming, I was either going to include her or someone from Street Fighter III, and as much as I love Alex, I feel like Sakura would be a more fun and well-recieved pick. Yes, she's technically replacing Chun-Li - but this would be a good opportunity to really let her shine on her own merits, plus she's a returning character from the older parts of the series.
  3. Juri. Juri, on the other hand, is our archetypical "new SF" rep. I actually had a lot of characters penned for this role, and Juri was one of the last characters I decided on. For context, characters like Crimson Viper, Rashid, Kolin, Kimberly, Marisa, and of course Luke were all considered here - but Juri's had a degree of longevity that I think really can't be counted out, plus her moveset is pretty cool and it's actually a little surprising that we haven't seen her here yet.
  4. Ada Wong. I wanted to include at least one Resident Evil protagonist here, but here's the problem - I didn't want it to just be Jill Valentine again, and whilst Leon Kennedy would undeniably be cool, I didn't just want our main rep for the series to be "guy with weapons". Ada was eventually picked because she's been a continual presence within the series, is a fan-favourite character that'd be a little unexpected, and also because she feels like she'd make a great rival for Hawkeye given her weapon of choice is typically a crossbow.
  5. Felyne. The Monster Hunter series made a lot of sense to represent here too, but I felt that including Monster Hunter themselves might seem a little lazy - so instead, Felyne is here! Felynes are effectively the series' main icon, in a similar role to something like the Slime from Dragon Quest, and whilst they're not often playable - they have appeared in every game in the series, so it'd be nice to finally play as them in a game like this!
  6. Poison. I genuinely considered having Haggar right back here, but the problem is that I really wanted to lean into the "New Generation" theming. Whilst other Final Fight picks like Cody, Guy or Maki were considered (or even some more unusual picks like Rolento or Sodom), I eventually went with Poison given she's a pretty iconic rep for the series who we haven't seen in a game like this before.
  7. Zero. This time around, he's based on his Mega Man Zero appearance. In terms of promotion, we could argue it's for the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, but also because I think it'd be a nice change of pace considering we've only seen Zero in his MMZ design in SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos in terms of VS. series representation. Fighting with a wide variety of his different weapons from the series would make him pretty fresh, too!
  8. MegaMan.EXE. Similarly to Zero, whilst we've seen a few Mega Men within the VS. series (specifically his classic look, Volnutt and X), EXE hasn't yet had his chance to shine in these games - so it makes a lot of sense to give him his shot what with the Battle Network Legacy Collection still being reasonably recent.
  9. Nero. Possibly my most controversial take of the Capcom side of the roster (though I'll admit I have a few!), Nero's here as our Devil May Cry rep... yes, over Dante. Given the "New Generation" theming, Nero fits into it really well - plus, it'd be nice to see a newcomer from the DMC series make his mark on this game too.
  10. Strider Hiryu. An iconic character for the series, Strider made a lot of sense to include here too. I'd suggest that his design should take elements from the 2014 Strider as well as his classic look, but honestly, he always manages to look incredibly cool in these games either way.
  11. Franziska von Karma. Probably something of a wild-card for the Capcom side, von Karma's inclusion was due to a lingering thought in the back of my mind whilst making this roster - namely, the problem of Ace Attorney. Initially, I had either Apollo Justice or Ryunosuke Naruhodo in mind for this (the former being an obvious "New Generation" pick and the latter being a solid time-travel choice), but neither of them sprung out as bringing something particularly unique to the table compared to Phoenix himself - Apollo would be a semi-clone at best, and Ryunosuke's sword could make him a little different, but we already have a few sword users. Von Karma, on the other hand, has her whip - and I think she'd be unique because of it.
  12. Donovan. Our "central protagonist" for the Darkstalkers series, I ended up including him over more iconic picks like Felicia (who I'll get to!), Hsien-Ko or Morrigan mostly because he's... actually, like, a main protagonist of the series, but has never actually appeared in the Marvel vs. Capcom series in spite of that. He's got plenty of moveset potential, and honestly, I think he'd just be a lot of fun.
  13. Baby Bonnie Hood. A more obscure pull, I felt Baby Bonnie Hood - a hunter of Darkstalkers - would be a lot of fun to include in a game where we already have characters like Blade and Moon Knight for her to go up against. She's also appeared in SNK Vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millenium on the NEOGEO Pocket Color, which is... something? More iconic picks like Hsien-Ko, Jon Talbain, Dmitri, Pyron or even Rikuo were considered in her place, but I felt she'd be a lot of fun to bring in.
  14. Amaterasu. Admittedly, I had Amaterasu penned into this game from the start. Ōkami is, after all, a fan-favourite cult classic that a lot of people enjoyed, and I think that Amaterasu's playstyle and design also lend pretty well to a game like this!
  15. Natsu Ayahara. Our representative for the Rival Schools series, I had a few characters penned for this role - Batsu being the obvious one given he's arguably the main protagonist, but also Showa, Akira and even Daigo - but Natsu's use of volleyball as her central "gimmick" felt like it'd make her a really unique and interesting character to actually include. Shoutout to Power Stone, by the way, which came close to nabbing this roster spot for itself!
  16. Tessa. One of the four playable characters from the unique RPG-inspired fighting game Red Earth, Tessa's been seen in a couple of crossovers such as SNK Vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos and Super Gem Fighter, and her nature as a wizard mage would make her pretty unique (plus, people seem to really like her moveset!) I came close to including Leo or even Hydron here in her place, but Tessa was a logical, if unusual, cut.
  17. Yellow Iris. Arguably a wild-card pick for the Capcom side, Yellow Iris is one of the five playable bounty hunters from the obscure beat-em-up Battle Circuit. Her cat-like nature lends well to a moveset that could be inspired by previous characters like Black Panther or Felicia (and a Felicia costume would be really cool too!), but her nature as a deeper cut also lends pretty well to her being unique amongst the roster overall.
  18. Nina. Specifically from Breath of Fire III due to it being generally the best-recieved in the series, Nina's another magically-inclined character - this time one with wings! I'd also imagine she can bring in Ryu for certain specials, perhaps with him transforming into a dragon - but overall, she'd be fun either way. Also, she should totally have a Michelle Heart costume.
  19. Viewtiful Joe. Hey, it only made sense to include a superhero on the Capcom side too. Joe's a character that was well-recieved within Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and bringing him back after his Infinite hiatus only felt right to me.
  20. Firebrand/Red Arremer. Another returning character, this time a representative of both the Ghosts 'n Goblins and Gargoyle's Quest series, I'd like to base Firebrand's design this time around more on Demon's Crest. I considered including a central Ghosts 'n Goblins antagonist like Astaroth, but Firebrand made a lot of sense to bring back as a returning figure.
  21. Dr. Wily. The central antagonist of the Capcom side working in league with Kang, I felt it was high time for Dr. Wily to finally get his time to shine in a Marvel vs. Capcom game in more than a simple cameo role. Wily's moveset would centre around him being in one of his Wily Machines, presumably a version with a wide variety of different abilities and transformations based on previous machines and such. Also, it'd be incredibly cool for his Level 3 Super to be an install that allows him to enter his alien form from the end of Mega Man 2.
  22. Gill. Our antagonist from the Street Fighter series. I had a few characters in this role at first - M. Bison was the obvious candidate, but I felt like he was kind of overdone. JP might be a bit too recent, and characters like Seth and Necalli haven't been too well-recieved. Gill also represents the whole "New Generation" thing, and I think he'd be a solid enemy for Cap to go up against considering they both have connections to clandestine international organisations.
  23. Licker. I wanted to include an enemy or antagonist from the Resident Evil series here too, but the problem was that argubly the most iconic main antagonists - Wesker and Nemesis - have already been done. As much as I did consider including them again, I felt that it might be fun to go with a wild card - so Licker was picked instead! Licker actually does spring out to me as one of the more well-known monsters from the series considering the infamous jumpscare it's involved in, and its smaller, more bestial form feels like it'd be a nice change of pace for our villainous picks.
  24. Princess Devilotte. Another all-new villain? Devilotte is one of the antagonists from Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness, and is a princess who likes to steal other people's mechs to display them. Whilst she's appeared in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, she's also been an assist in the original Marvel vs. Capcom! I think her moveset has potential too, considering she's almost always accompanied by her lackeys Dave and Xavier.
  25. Akuma. Another iconic returning character, and a pretty obvious "secret" one, all things considered. I mean, it's effectively tradition for Akuma to be a secret character by this point, right? He plays just as you'd expect.

In addition to the characters we've already added, some characters can also be included as effectively clones of their originals - albeit with new models and voicelines that still allow them to use the original as a base. Some of these might bring back famous characters you know and love, others might bring wholly new picks you've not seen before! Each side has five of them, and they can appear in the game's story mode as unique characters. My thought process here was that, with there being some notable omissions (and some potential for deeper cuts), this made sense as a kind of stopgap for that sort of thing.

1. Falcon. This one over Captain America, it replaces Sam's costume and design with one based on his Falcon looks - both in the MCU and in the comics - whilst giving the shield a new look that'd match these. This honestly kind of just felt like a natural inclusion overall.​
  2. Spider-Man (Peter Parker). I'd need to include him somewhere, and this felt like it'd make a lot more sense to me overall. Whilst he'd still have Miles' electric attacks and whatnot, Peter's inclusion was just kind of obvious.​
  3. Ironheart. She's here over War Machine, and whilst I didn't think she'd make sense as a base-roster inclusion, her inclusion as a bonus character seems fair enough in my mind. Admittedly, her suit would be bulkier than her comic appearance - more akin to how it looks in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - but that seems fair enough to me.​
  4. Hulk. This time over the Thing, Hulk's inclusion was a pretty obvious one in my mind. He'd have a few changes, of course - most prominently that his super moves wouldn't include the other members of the Fantastic Four - but he makes a lot of sense to include in a role like this.​
  5. Iron Lad. This one being over Kang the Conqueror, I felt a more comic-centric inclusion would be a lot of fun - plus, Iron Lad's role as a younger Kang seemed to me like it'd lend to him being pretty fun to include for more story drama.​

1. Ken. Going over Ryu, Ken's inclusion should be pretty obvious at this point. Were you really expecting anything else?
  2. Lady. This one's over Baby Bonnie Hood, and she honestly felt like a pretty solid character to include as a second Devil May Cry rep. Even if they do have their differences, I'd like to imagine this would be pretty fun overall.
  3. Rush. Perhaps my most surprising pull, I reckon Rush going over Amaterasu would be a pretty interesting choice - my thought process being that voicelines would be done by Eddie, who'd fly in in order to speak on Rush's behalf whilst he just barks like a good boy.
  4. Felicia. Going over Yellow Iris, Felicia's moveset would obviously be pretty different this time around - but I think she's still a prominent Darkstalker to include amongst the roster, so it made sense to me to bring her in here.
  5. Michelle Heart. Replacing Nina, Michelle was the protagonist of the 1987 game Legendary Wings - so she's a deeper cut, admittedly, but I think she's still pretty solid and logical.​

It only makes sense to bring this classic concept back - characters will have a rival that they can go up against in Arcade Mode who'll have unique interactions with them. Rivalries are between companies (so no rivals will be from the same side), but can be for all sorts of reasons! Note that our Bonus Characters don't have their own unique rivals - it's determined by their base characters.
Marvel​
Capcom​
Reasoning?​
Captain America​
Gill​
Captain America going up against a character leading an evil, secretive global organisation? It practically writes itself!​
Wolverine​
Donovan​
Both Wolverine and Donovan have difficulty controlling their rage and use martial arts of some kind in order to do so, plus have some affinity with the more magical side of their worlds.​
Spider-Man​
Natsu​
Both of these characters are school-age, plus I can imagine them getting along pretty well due to a shared love of sports given that Miles plays basketball from time to time.​
Captain Marvel​
Akuma​
Looking for the strongest person he can find, Akuma ends up tracking down Captain Marvel. This kind of just feels right to me, somehow.​
Thor​
Amaterasu​
Both Thor and Amaterasu are gods, of some description, so it felt like a pretty obvious pairing!​
War Machine​
Devilotte​
Devilotte's whole thing is trying to steal people's mechs and such, so it'd be pretty funny if she were trying to steal the War Machine armour too.​
Ms. Marvel​
MegaMan.EXE​
This might sound kind of weird, but it'd be pretty fun to have Ms. Marvel accidentally be responsible for MegaMan even being here. Maybe she downloaded him onto her phone by accident.​
Hawkeye​
Ada Wong​
As weird of a connection as this is, Ada and Hawkeye both fight using a bow, so I can imagine this leading to a fun interaction between the two.​
Doctor Strange​
Tessa​
This almost completely boils down to being a battle between wizard/mage characters.​
Storm​
Firebrand/Red Arremer​
Storm is seen as a weather goddess, whereas Firebrand/Red Arremer is literally a demon that breathes fire.​
Rocket Raccoon & Groot​
Yellow Iris​
Yellow Iris and Groot are both aliens, and Rocket's space-themed regardless. (Plus, he's technically from Counter-Earth, so I guess he counts too.)
Wasp​
Zero​
Considering that most Mavericks in the X series are animal-themed, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Zero mistaking Wasp for a Maverick of some description (perhaps similar to Commander Yammark?)
Thing​
Dr. Wily​
The Thing (a member of the Fantastic Four) going up against an evil doctor known for his use of robots? It's not perfect, but it fits pretty well!
She-Hulk​
Poison​
In search of fresh faces for her wrestling team, Poison going up against She-Hulk seemed like a logical conclusion.
Moon Knight​
Strider Hiryu​
This just kind of feels right to me. Both of these characters are, like, ninja-esque but just distant enough from ninjas to not really fit the bill.
Blade​
Baby Bonnie Hood​
Both B.B. Hood and Blade are hunters of monsters, so it kind of makes sense that they'd clash due to their ideals.
Jubilee​
Sakura​
Both Jubilee and Sakura are younger female characters that look up to an older male character (Wolverine and Ryu) whilst forming their own path in life. They seem like a really good fit for each other.
Howard the Duck​
Franziska von Karma​
Whilst both of these characters seem like comic relief, I think the interaction of von Karma attempting to sue Howard for something would be pretty funny. Von Karma nearly ended up going up against She-Hulk, though.
Scarlet Witch​
Nina​
Again, a battle between mages. That said, I think Nina's more angelic look compared to Wanda's chaos magic would work for a "heaven vs. hell" theme too.
Man-Thing​
Felyne​
I think it makes a lot of sense that Felyne would mistake Man-Thing for a monster of some kind.
Kang the Conqueror​
Viewtiful Joe​
Ironically enough, both of these characters have time-related abilities - plus, it makes a lot of sense for Joe (a superhero) to go up against Kang (a supervillain).
Magneto​
Juri​
Juri has spent her whole life being controlled by agencies such as S.I.N, so it makes sense that she'd see a villain like Magneto and want to take him down in spite of his differing motivations compared to, say, M. Bison.
Loki​
Licker​
An attempt to take over Asgard goes wrong, and Loki accidentally brings forth a Licker instead. He's then left to deal with the fallout on his own. Also, the Licker being famous due to a jumpscare fits well with Loki's themes of trickery and deception.
Green Goblin​
Nero​
I honestly just think it'd be really funny for Nero to mistake Green Goblin (an actual person) for a demon of some kind, and insist that he needs to kill him because of it.
The Captain​
Ryu​
This effectively acts as a reference to the iconic Marvel vs. Capcom intro of the pair shaking hands, though this time, they're both a lot older and a lot different!

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing 3
Doesn't have kart transformations (will be important for two particular character inclusions)
  1. Sonic
  2. Tails
  3. Knuckles
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Big the Cat
  6. Shadow
  7. Flickies
  8. Angry Birds
  9. Bad Piggies
  10. Alex Kidd
  11. Janken the Great
  12. Kiryu