• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here's the keys - make a crossover fighter with [INSERT IP HERE].

FazDude

Smash Master
I really like this 126-character roster. Although a Flash game rep would make sense here somehow, considering that flash/browser games were part of indie game history (not complaining tho).

(Also including Guybrush and R.O.B seems really based)
Late, but Penguin is kinda a Flash rep? I know you most likely mean characters like Papa Louie or Fancy Pants, and yeah I shoulda given them a rep, but throwing it out there.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Cartoon Newtork Punch Time Explosion: Round 2

All fighters from the earlier games returns, with almost all voice actors reprising their roles
Newcomer Roaster (mainly from shows I have seen)
Bugs Bunny
Daffy Duck
Yogi Bear (Jellystone)
Scooby and Shaggy
Fred Flintstone
Sedusa
Ed, Edd and Eddy
Courage
Katz
Hector and Boskov
Numbuh 5
Wilt
Lazlo, Raj and Clam
Edward
Patsy
Finn
Jake
Mordecai
Rigby
Skips
Gumball
Darwin
Nicole
Grizz, Ice and Panda
Prohyas and Vambre
Craig
Kelsey
Mao Mao
Shake, Frylock and Meatwad
Robot Chicken
Rick
Josh
Batman
Raven
Sonic (Guest Fighter)
Tails (Guest Fighter)
Pikachu (Nintendo Exclusive Guest Fighter)

Arrowverse: Final Crisis
Green ArrowBlack CanaryJohn DiggleFelicity SmoakSpeedySlade WilsonRoy HarperMister TerrificThe AtomSpectre
FlashIris West-AllenKiller FrostVibeReverse FlashFirestormCaptain ColdHarrison WellsWally WestMonitor
SupergirlJimmy OlsenMartian ManhunterToymanBrainiac 5SupermanLois LaneLex LuthorLena LuthorLivewire
White CanaryHawkmanHawkgirlVixenSteelJohn ConstantineHeat WaveWolfieGideonAnti-Monitor
Black LightningLightningBlackbirdPainkillerWyldeEmily LockeTeddyVan WayneStargirlDoctor Mid-Nite II
BatwomanBatwingPoison MaryAliceRenee MontoyaJoker IIHushBatmanMouseEnigma
Naomi McDuffieThe StrangerEradicatorBatman '66NightwingWonder WomanSuperboy (AKA: Smallville Superman)StarfireBeast BoyWonder Girl
Red HoodDoveHawkRose WilsonBlackfireRobinBrother BloodKryptoTrigonJinx
Swamp ThingXanaduBlue DevilAlfred PennyworthCrazy JaneElasti-WomanMr. NobodyNegative ManRobotmanCyborg
Madame RougeAnimal-Vegetable-Mineral ManDuelaBluebirdHarvey DentJoe ChillShazamImpulseCatwomanHuntress
It started out as a straight-up Arrowverse fighting game, but by the back half, I went all-in on their adaptation of Crisis on Infinite Earths. Hence the title of the game.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Fight of the Future
This fighting game features characters from the future
1.Professor Taro (Iron Valiant, Iron Bundle and Iron Thorns)
2.Olimar
3.Alph
4.Inkling
5.DJ Octavio
6.Godzilla (Godzilla Island)
7.Mecha King Ghidorah
8.Fry
9.Leela
10.Bender
11.Zoidberg
12.Wall-E and Eve
13.Blendin
14.Kang the Conqueror
15.Zim
16.Jenny
17.Vexxus
18.Megas
19.Snowstalker
20.Carakiller
21.Lurkfish
22.Megasquid
23.Night Stalker
24.Rabboon
25.Future Predator

DLC
1.Godzilla Fillius
2.Lucina
3.Finn the Human
4.Jake the Dog
5.Gypsy Danger

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've done a few Ultimate sequel rosters, but this time I'm gonna do something I'm personally against but find to be a fun challenge: please both COGH and NAS fans, with no cuts. Newcomer distribution will be equal - 9 Nintendo newcomers, 9 third parties. No (directly labled) echoes.

Nintendo newcomers
  1. Waluigi (Super Mario)
  2. Impa (Elderly) (The Legend of Zelda)
  3. Midna
  4. Susie (Kirby)
  5. Youngster (Stance: Pidgey, Rattata and Zubat) (Pokémon)
  6. Genesect
  7. Callie & Marie (Splatoon)
  8. Yuka (Rhythm Heaven)
  9. Tingle (Tingle)

3P
  1. Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  2. Blanka (Street Fighter)
  3. CJ (Grand Theft Auto)
  4. Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
  5. Kratos (God of War)
  6. PaRappa (PaRappa the Rapper)
  7. Master Chief (Halo)
  8. Ghost (Call of Duty)
  9. Square (Adventure)

Last edited:
I've done a few Ultimate sequel rosters, but this time I'm gonna do something I'm personally against but find to be a fun challenge: please both COGH and NAS fans, with no cuts. Newcomer distribution will be equal - 9 Nintendo newcomers, 9 third parties. No (directly labled) echoes.

Nintendo newcomers
  1. Waluigi (Super Mario)
  2. Impa (Elderly) (The Legend of Zelda)
  3. Midna
  4. Susie (Kirby)
  5. Youngster (Stance: Pidgey, Rattata and Zubat) (Pokémon)
  6. Genesect
  7. Callie & Marie (Splatoon)
  8. Yuka (Rhythm Heaven)
  9. Tingle (Tingle)

3P
  1. Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  2. Blanka (Street Fighter)
  3. CJ (Grand Theft Auto)
  4. Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
  5. Kratos (God of War)
  6. PaRappa (PaRappa the Rapper)
  7. Master Chief (Halo)
  8. Ghost (Call of Duty)
  9. Square (Adventure)
The one Mario newcomer people truly want?
Two or three new Zelda reps? One of which also reps a Zelda spinoff?
A new Pokemon Trainer-type fighter, and a non-starter Pokemon?
Rhythm Heaven getting a slot on the roster?
A new Kirby and Splatoon fighter each?
Another Sonic rep?
A third Street Fighter character?
Kratos, Master Chief, Sub-Zero, and CJ?
PaRappa and a Call of Duty rep?
The SQUARE from Adventure?

Somehow, on top of no cuts, you have managed to combine the mundane requests with the oddball picks on both sides of the lineup. Heck, at least I'm happy with this.

Owen23

Smash Apprentice
There is a lot of anime rosters out there, and I really wanted to make one, but only characters from anime I seen, so here it is!

Owen's Anime Anarchy:
1. Luffy (One Piece)
2. Zoro (One Piece)
3. Chopper (One Piece)
4. Trafalgar D. Law (One Piece)
5. Boa Hancock (One Piece)
6. Crocodile (One Piece)
7. Spike Speigel (Cowboy Bebop)
8. Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)
9. Retsuko (Aggretsuko)
10. Tohru (Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid)
11. Akko (Little Witch Academia)
12. Mob (Mob Psycho 100)
13. Reigen Arataka (Mob Psycho 100)
14. Vash The Stampede (Trigun)
15. The Forgers (SPYXFAMILY)
16. Popuko & Pipimi (Pop Team Epic)
17. Dandy (Space Dandy)
18. Ryuuko Matoi (Kill La Kill)
19. Mako Mankanshou (Kill La Kill)
20. Ira Gamagori (Kill La Kill)
21. Nonon Jakuzure (Kill La Kill)
22. Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill)
23. Madoka (Madoka Magica)
24. Mami Tomoe (Madoka Magica)
25. Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica)
26. Lupin the 3rd
27. Jigen (Lupin the 3rd)
28. Fujiko Mine (Lupin the 3rd)
29. Goemon XIII (Lupin the 3rd)
30. Serval (Kemono Friends)
31. Kaguya (Kaguya-Sama: Love is War)
32. Chito and Yuuri (Girls Last Tour)
33. Denji (Chainsaw Man)
34. Bocchi (BOCCHI THE ROCK!)
35. Bojji (Ranking of Kings)
36. Riko & Reg (Made In Abyss)

There is a lot of anime rosters out there, and I really wanted to make one, but only characters from anime I seen, so here it is!

Owen's Anime Anarchy:
1. Luffy (One Piece)
2. Zoro (One Piece)
3. Chopper (One Piece)
4. Trafalgar D. Law (One Piece)
5. Boa Hancock (One Piece)
6. Crocodile (One Piece)
7. Spike Speigel (Cowboy Bebop)
8. Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)
9. Retsuko (Aggretsuko)
10. Tohru (Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid)
11. Akko (Little Witch Academia)
12. Mob (Mob Psycho 100)
13. Reigen Arataka (Mob Psycho 100)
14. Vash The Stampede (Trigun)
15. The Forgers (SPYXFAMILY)
16. Popuko & Pipimi (Pop Team Epic)
17. Dandy (Space Dandy)
18. Ryuuko Matoi (Kill La Kill)
19. Mako Mankanshou (Kill La Kill)
20. Ira Gamagori (Kill La Kill)
21. Nonon Jakuzure (Kill La Kill)
22. Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill)
23. Madoka (Madoka Magica)
24. Mami Tomoe (Madoka Magica)
25. Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica)
26. Lupin the 3rd
27. Jigen (Lupin the 3rd)
28. Fujiko Mine (Lupin the 3rd)
29. Goemon XIII (Lupin the 3rd)
30. Serval (Kemono Friends)
31. Kaguya (Kaguya-Sama: Love is War)
32. Chito and Yuuri (Girls Last Tour)
33. Denji (Chainsaw Man)
34. Bocchi (BOCCHI THE ROCK!)
35. Bojji (Ranking of Kings)
36. Riko & Reg (Made In Abyss)
I would main Luffy, Chopper, Spike, Retsuko, The Forgers, Ryuuko, Lupin, Denji, and Bocchi. But honestly, I'd try to play as all of them.

Heck, even if we limit the roster size to 1-2 characters per anime, that's 20+ characters across 20 anime.

Also, I noticed a pattern in your catalog, where the anime that got more than one character in here are some of the biggest names in the industry. And the fact that One Piece, Kill La Kill, and Lupin the 3rd have more than three characters is something I will absolutely defend.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here is a take on finishing out the SSF2 roster. I expect there to be 4 more fighters with the final roster.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultwario:Waluigi:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultfalcon:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultkirby::ultmetaknight:Bandana (Waddle) Dee:ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco:Krystal:ultsamus::ultzss:
:ultness::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultpit:Isaac, Chibi-Robo:ultgnw::ultsonic:Tails, Knuckles:ultmegaman::ultryu::ultpacman:
Lloyd Irving:ultsimon:Bomberman, Black Mage:ultcloud::ultsora:Rayman, Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, Sandbag
  • The Ice Climbers are my main, and I think they’re possible if Zelda/Sheik are a transforming character (Crusade made it work, but they use a different engine).
  • I wanted to add another Pokemon, but Dedede is I think the most requested character in the SSF2 community.
  • A third Sonic character doesn’t seem too far fetched, and I decided to round out the team Sonic trio.
  • I have Final Fantasy bias, but Cloud was one of those dream crossover characters for SSB.

This isn’t a fighting game, but is a list of emblems for a Fire Emblem where emblems return.

Marth, Tiki, Navarre
Alm, Celica
Sigurd, Seliph, Julia
Lief, Evayle
Roy, Lilina
Lyn, Hector, Nino
Eirika/Ephraim, Seth
Ike, Soren, Elincia
Micaiah, Sothe
Chrom/Robin, Lucina, Cordelia
Corrin, Azura, Camila
Byleth, Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude, Flayn
Alear, Veyle, Sommie
Alphonse, Fijorn, Veronica
Anna
  • Most of the characters that I added tend to be major characters in their respective games, or these characters are popular.
  • Flayn is a weird case where I didn’t want to add Rhea or a retainer from one of the houses.
  • While she is popular, I added Nino because she’s one of my favorites in the series.
  • I added Sommie because it’s my favorite character in Engage, and there is a fan theory related to an endgame spoiler for this character.

Dragon Ball vs. Street Fighter
Goku​
Krillin​
Master Roshi​
Ryu​
Chun-Li​
M. Bison​
Yamcha​
Tien​
Launch​
Akuma​
Gen​
Rose​
Pilaf​
Tao Pai Pai​
Piccolo​
Guy​
Alex​
Batsu​
When do you propose a game with this roster comes out?

Also, are you using the original Dragon Ball anime as a basis? Kid Goku and all? Because if you're not, Vegeta's just as much of a missed opportunity as Ken is.

1). Around the Wii era

2). Yes
Something tells me 18 characters wouldn't cut it, then. Not even on the Wii.

As for your specific choice of Dragon Ball lore to pull from, I can do without Ken if it means Vegeta is too recent to use. Maybe we can use Oolong, Bulma, or even Arale?

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I'm at it again, this time with a bland, generic af Smash Bros. reboot. As usual, I limited myself to 30 characters (it has become sort of a recurring number when I do this kind of stuff).
Roster_small.png
Before I explain my choices, let me address the most controversial points:
Of course I'm talking about the third row, which I like to think is what inspired the phrasal form "to have a row". Why three Xenoblade characters? And why all three Pokémon come from Generation 1?
Before you say anything, I want to say that I dislike the Xenoblade series and Generation 1 is hardly my favorite Generation of Pokémon (if anything, I lean more towards Generations 4, 5, and 6)
When adding characters from the Xenoblade series, I felt that Shulk alone was not enough for a series like Xenoblade, that has grown to be one of Nintendo's larges series, especially in the Switch era. So I felt that Shulk and Noah were appropriate representation. But leaving only one out of three protagonists out was kind of unfair (I don't consider Xenoblade Chronicles X as part of the main series, btw) and seeing that Monolith Soft. has been almost single-handedly carrying the Switch lineup, having worked on many major -- and critically acclaimed -- titles, I felt that three slots were a sort of homage to this company. In a way, I wanted to thank them.
As for Pokémon, Pikachu and Gholdengo were the first two I came up with, but I needed a third one. I didn't want to pick another Gen 1 Pokémon (picking characters from the first and latest entry alone is something I tried to avoid, because I think it's somewhat cheap), but there were really no better choices other than Charizard and Mewtwo, with maybe the exception of Lucario. But in the end I felt that Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo were the most iconic, best representatives for the Pokémon series.
Another controversial choice is the exclusion of Zelda. I have talked at length about my stance about Zelda in the Unpopular Smash Opinion Thread (so you can imagine that it's a bad take). The tl;dr version of it is that in my opinion, Zelda lacks the canon tools to be a faithful and enjoyable character, unlike, say, Peach, who gets a pass because she's far more cartoony than the Hylian Princess.
Going on with the controversy, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff were removed. I don't think that, nowadays, they're relevant enough to be present in a Smash title, especially if it were a reboot. I could make an argument for Falcon, but I didn't find enough room for him (unless I'd cut a Xenoblade character, which I didn't want to do). Besides, I believe that in a reboot, some of the Original 12 SHOULD be cut. In a 30-characters setting like this, having 12 of them (2/5 of the total) be represented by somewhat "locked" characters really limits how many unique choices you can make.
Finally, I picked only one Fire Emblem character (despite me loving those games) because I think that Alear is probably the best possible representative for the series, since he already incorporates legacy elements in the form of the Emblem Rings.

Without any further ado, let me introduce all these characters:
  • You can't spell Super Smash Bros. without saying two of the three words that make the sentence Super Mario Bros., so Mario was a given. I'd keep him as a balanced, easy-to-learn character, but I'd retool a few of his attacks (side special, down special, forward aerial, and down aerial specifically) because I think that they're somewhat counterintuitive. I'd also give Mario his faithful, trusty hammer.
  • Luigi joins the roster, this time as a clone of Mario (the only clone in the game, indeed). I feel that Luigi's identity of Mario's clone is more relevant not only to the character, but to the gaming industry as a whole compared to his Luigi's Mansion appearances. Come to think of it, multiplayer games might exist because of Luigi.
  • Peach is here and she has a moveset filled with very clumsy, unassuming attacks. Peach doesn't REALLY want to hit you, it's more like you are in the way of her attacks. I'd retain her float ability, of course.
  • Bowser has to make an appearance as the second heaviest, second largest fighter in the game (he's been dethroned by another massive villain). I'd tone down his animalistic appearance in Smash for a more modern take on the character.
  • Yoshi joins the roster with a moveset that feels unchanged from his canon Smash appearances. I'd still rework a few of his tools (for example, by giving him a proper recovery), but overall I'd say that, among the Original 12, Yoshi has aged the best.
  • Wario is our first secret character. This time, his moveset would be a more organic mixture of his Wario Land and WarioWare appearances, leaning more heavily on the Wario Land side, since it lends itself better to a Smash moveset.
  • Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong fight together with Diddy hitchhiking on DK's back. The duo's physics and moves would mostly be based on DK, since he'd be the one carrying Diddy, but I'd sneak in a few moves (such as the Peanut Popguns and the Rocketbarrels) that reference Diddy.
  • Samus's default appearance is taken from her more classic games, but you can bet that she has a costume based on that awesome suit she dons in Dread. I'd retool her to give her a few more projectiles, as well as the ability to move freely in the Morph Ball state.
  • Inkling is meant to represent Splatoon 1 and 3. She'd retain the ink gimmick, but this time it enhances her movement, as it does in her home series. Like Samus, Inkling would have a few more projectiles. Male Inkling appears as an alternate costume!
  • Octoling is meant to represent Splatoon 2 and 3, as she'd be based on the playable version of the character from these two titles (as opposed to the enemy version, which I ignored). She'd have the same ink-based gimmick as Inkling, as well as sharing with her all her physics, but their moves would be completely different. Male Octoling appears as an alternate costume! Octoling would be a secret character.
  • I strongly believe that Link is Smash should represent his more "classic" incarnations, such as Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and A Link to the Past. So this is what I'd do with him (and this is why his design is based on his appearance in Skyward Sword instead of Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom). The Hero of the Wild could make for a fantastic DLC addition, in my opinion!
  • Ganon is here as the last (based on the intended unlocking order) secret character and he'd be HUGE. He'd definitely be the largest, heaviest, and strongest character in the roster, while also being the slowest one. I chose to represent beastly Ganon and not human-like Ganondorf because I think that this raw incarnation of evil would make for a far more fun and interesting addition.
  • Kirby! How could I not add my favorite gaming character to the mix? His Inhale ability would be unchanged, but since he copies characters' attacks with it, I think that he could use his canon copy abilities in his standard attacks.
  • I'll admit that, with King Dedede, I'd use his modern design (used in Forgotten Land and Return to Dream Land Deluxe, peak male physique in my humble opinion), but I couldn't find a 2D artwork of it. I'd like to rework DDD a bit, because as of now he feels unfairly sluggish, especially compared to characters like Bowser, DK, or even Ganondorf. But generally speaking, the King is in great shape. However, I'd love to hear his anime voice! That'd be so much fun.
  • Pikmin & Olimar make an appearance with a revamped moveset, this time more based on Olimar's management of the Pikmin. You'd really want to see the Pikmin survive in this version of the character, to better reflect his canon appearances. As for the Pikmin, I'd choose the quintet made of Red, Yellow, Blue, Rock, and Winged from Pikmin 3, a game that, unfortunately, didn't feature Olimar as its protagonist. But they make for, in my opinion, the most varied and fun roster of Pikmin. And besides, Olimar worked with these Pikmin in Hey! Pikmin...
  • Spring Man! Min Min from Ultimate gives player PTSD, but I can't help but re-add another ARMS character, especially because it was one of the very few attempts of Nintendo as a more "traditional" fighting game. Spring Man would work similarly to Min Min, but with slower normals and more the inability to change ARMS (as a bland attempt at a balancing). Ribbon Girl makes an appearance as an alternate costume!
  • Isabelle is somewhat unchanged from her Ultimate appearance. She'd still be a small, fun, lightweight character, but with less of an emphasis on traps.
  • Tom Nook joins Isabelle as our secret character from the Animal Crossing series. Tom Nook would carry a gimmick based on Bells: he can increase the power of his attacks based on how many Bells he has. He can gain some by hitting opponents or by stealing their projectiles using the new retooled Pocket ability, but he could lose them by getting hit, so watch out!
  • Fox brings an appearance, with a new set of special moves that represent the abilities of the Arwing. One fun aspect I thought about is the possibility to bring in Falco, Slippy, Peppy, Fae, and Miyu with alternate costumes! Fox is a secret character
  • Barista is the long-awaited Rhythm Heaven representative. I chose him due to his status as a canonical good player of the rhythm-based mini-games (correct me if I'm wrong). He'd be somewhat similar to Mr. Game & Watch and most of his attacks would be multi-hit that get stronger if the hits are inputed rhythmically. Barista is a secret character.
  • Shulk would be basically unchanged from his Smash appearance, with the Monado Arts to change his playstyle. Cool.
  • Rex is our secret Xenoblade character, but Pyra would join him too! She'd stay in the background, but if the two are close to each other their strength increases.
  • Noah is the last Xenoblade character. I'll be honest with you, I have no idea of how he fights in his games. As I said, I really don't like the Xenoblade series.
  • Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo (a secret character) would retain their general feeling from previous Smash titles, but I'd give them plenty of new moves to better reflect their most iconic attacks. If anything, I feel that Charizard is the one that is currently doing better in this department. So expect moves such as Surf, Volt Switch (for Pikachu), Inferno, Seismic Toss (for Charizard), Psystrike and Future Sight (for Mewtwo) thrown into the mix.
  • Alear joins with Emblem Marth by his side. Think of it as Joker in Smash, but replace Arsène with Marth. Alear himself would feel very similar to a weakened version of Lucina, but with Emblem Marth he'd have power to spare. Female Alear makes an appearance as an alternate costume!
  • Nell represents the Advance Wars series. She was picked over Andy or Sami due to her status of a tutorial character. She'd summon pixelated version of the Orange Star troops to attack, while also flailing with her stick for some of her normals. She'd be a secret character.
  • This mixture of NES sprites is known as NES Remix and it pays homage to other NES titles. You'd play as a pixelated version of Little Mac, but it would transform into other characters (not limited to the Ice Climbers and Mario) to performs specific attacks, à la Mr. Game and Watch in Ultimate. NES Remix would be a secret character.
  • The Mii makes a comeback, but this time without the Brawler-Swordfighter-Gunner shenanigan. The Mii's moveset would be based on the games that featured them, mostly in the Wii-Wii U-3DS eras. You'd still retain the ability to customize their appearances, even using headgears and costumes like in Smash.

So that's it. My very bad attempt at a Smash reboot.

1). I mean, to be fair, the original Wii release of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom had 22 characters, 4 more than the original arcade version. I don’t think 18 is too crazy for a roster like this.
18’s a decent amount for a new fighting game series I think it might even be considered a lot by some estimates
Yeah Smash-size rosters are not the norm
Okay. You've talked me into it. Besides, most of the DBxSF roster chosen has a lot of recognizable characters, even if some that are recognized have a more cult following than others.
I'm at it again, this time with a bland, generic af Smash Bros. reboot. As usual, I limited myself to 30 characters (it has become sort of a recurring number when I do this kind of stuff).
Of course I'm talking about the third row, which I like to think is what inspired the phrasal form "to have a row". Why three Xenoblade characters? And why all three Pokémon come from Generation 1?
Before you say anything, I want to say that I dislike the Xenoblade series and Generation 1 is hardly my favorite Generation of Pokémon (if anything, I lean more towards Generations 4, 5, and 6)
When adding characters from the Xenoblade series, I felt that Shulk alone was not enough for a series like Xenoblade, that has grown to be one of Nintendo's larges series, especially in the Switch era. So I felt that Shulk and Noah were appropriate representation. But leaving only one out of three protagonists out was kind of unfair (I don't consider Xenoblade Chronicles X as part of the main series, btw) and seeing that Monolith Soft. has been almost single-handedly carrying the Switch lineup, having worked on many major -- and critically acclaimed -- titles, I felt that three slots were a sort of homage to this company. In a way, I wanted to thank them.
As for Pokémon, Pikachu and Gholdengo were the first two I came up with, but I needed a third one. I didn't want to pick another Gen 1 Pokémon (picking characters from the first and latest entry alone is something I tried to avoid, because I think it's somewhat cheap), but there were really no better choices other than Charizard and Mewtwo, with maybe the exception of Lucario. But in the end I felt that Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo were the most iconic, best representatives for the Pokémon series.
Another controversial choice is the exclusion of Zelda. I have talked at length about my stance about Zelda in the Unpopular Smash Opinion Thread (so you can imagine that it's a bad take). The tl;dr version of it is that in my opinion, Zelda lacks the canon tools to be a faithful and enjoyable character, unlike, say, Peach, who gets a pass because she's far more cartoony than the Hylian Princess.
Going on with the controversy, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff were removed. I don't think that, nowadays, they're relevant enough to be present in a Smash title, especially if it were a reboot. I could make an argument for Falcon, but I didn't find enough room for him (unless I'd cut a Xenoblade character, which I didn't want to do). Besides, I believe that in a reboot, some of the Original 12 SHOULD be cut. In a 30-characters setting like this, having 12 of them (2/5 of the total) be represented by somewhat "locked" characters really limits how many unique choices you can make.
Finally, I picked only one Fire Emblem character (despite me loving those games) because I think that Alear is probably the best possible representative for the series, since he already incorporates legacy elements in the form of the Emblem Rings.

• You can't spell Super Smash Bros. without saying two of the three words that make the sentence Super Mario Bros., so Mario was a given. I'd keep him as a balanced, easy-to-learn character, but I'd retool a few of his attacks (side special, down special, forward aerial, and down aerial specifically) because I think that they're somewhat counterintuitive. I'd also give Mario his faithful, trusty hammer.
  • Luigi joins the roster, this time as a clone of Mario (the only clone in the game, indeed). I feel that Luigi's identity of Mario's clone is more relevant not only to the character, but to the gaming industry as a whole compared to his Luigi's Mansion appearances. Come to think of it, multiplayer games might exist because of Luigi.
  • Peach is here and she has a moveset filled with very clumsy, unassuming attacks. Peach doesn't REALLY want to hit you, it's more like you are in the way of her attacks. I'd retain her float ability, of course.
  • Bowser has to make an appearance as the second heaviest, second largest fighter in the game (he's been dethroned by another massive villain). I'd tone down his animalistic appearance in Smash for a more modern take on the character.
  • Yoshi joins the roster with a moveset that feels unchanged from his canon Smash appearances. I'd still rework a few of his tools (for example, by giving him a proper recovery), but overall I'd say that, among the Original 12, Yoshi has aged the best.
  • Wario is our first secret character. This time, his moveset would be a more organic mixture of his Wario Land and WarioWare appearances, leaning more heavily on the Wario Land side, since it lends itself better to a Smash moveset.
  • Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong fight together with Diddy hitchhiking on DK's back. The duo's physics and moves would mostly be based on DK, since he'd be the one carrying Diddy, but I'd sneak in a few moves (such as the Peanut Popguns and the Rocketbarrels) that reference Diddy.
  • Samus's default appearance is taken from her more classic games, but you can bet that she has a costume based on that awesome suit she dons in Dread. I'd retool her to give her a few more projectiles, as well as the ability to move freely in the Morph Ball state.
  • Inkling is meant to represent Splatoon 1 and 3. She'd retain the ink gimmick, but this time it enhances her movement, as it does in her home series. Like Samus, Inkling would have a few more projectiles. Male Inkling appears as an alternate costume!
  • Octoling is meant to represent Splatoon 2 and 3, as she'd be based on the playable version of the character from these two titles (as opposed to the enemy version, which I ignored). She'd have the same ink-based gimmick as Inkling, as well as sharing with her all her physics, but their moves would be completely different. Male Octoling appears as an alternate costume! Octoling would be a secret character.
  • I strongly believe that Link is Smash should represent his more "classic" incarnations, such as Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and A Link to the Past. So this is what I'd do with him (and this is why his design is based on his appearance in Skyward Sword instead of Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom). The Hero of the Wild could make for a fantastic DLC addition, in my opinion!
  • Ganon is here as the last (based on the intended unlocking order) secret character and he'd be HUGE. He'd definitely be the largest, heaviest, and strongest character in the roster, while also being the slowest one. I chose to represent beastly Ganon and not human-like Ganondorf because I think that this raw incarnation of evil would make for a far more fun and interesting addition.
  • Kirby! How could I not add my favorite gaming character to the mix? His Inhale ability would be unchanged, but since he copies characters' attacks with it, I think that he could use his canon copy abilities in his standard attacks.
  • I'll admit that, with King Dedede, I'd use his modern design (used in Forgotten Land and Return to Dream Land Deluxe, peak male physique in my humble opinion), but I couldn't find a 2D artwork of it. I'd like to rework DDD a bit, because as of now he feels unfairly sluggish, especially compared to characters like Bowser, DK, or even Ganondorf. But generally speaking, the King is in great shape. However, I'd love to hear his anime voice! That'd be so much fun.
  • Pikmin & Olimar make an appearance with a revamped moveset, this time more based on Olimar's management of the Pikmin. You'd really want to see the Pikmin survive in this version of the character, to better reflect his canon appearances. As for the Pikmin, I'd choose the quintet made of Red, Yellow, Blue, Rock, and Winged from Pikmin 3, a game that, unfortunately, didn't feature Olimar as its protagonist. But they make for, in my opinion, the most varied and fun roster of Pikmin. And besides, Olimar worked with these Pikmin in Hey! Pikmin...
  • Spring Man! Min Min from Ultimate gives player PTSD, but I can't help but re-add another ARMS character, especially because it was one of the very few attempts of Nintendo as a more "traditional" fighting game. Spring Man would work similarly to Min Min, but with slower normals and more the inability to change ARMS (as a bland attempt at a balancing). Ribbon Girl makes an appearance as an alternate costume!
  • Isabelle is somewhat unchanged from her Ultimate appearance. She'd still be a small, fun, lightweight character, but with less of an emphasis on traps.
  • Tom Nook joins Isabelle as our secret character from the Animal Crossing series. Tom Nook would carry a gimmick based on Bells: he can increase the power of his attacks based on how many Bells he has. He can gain some by hitting opponents or by stealing their projectiles using the new retooled Pocket ability, but he could lose them by getting hit, so watch out!
  • Fox brings an appearance, with a new set of special moves that represent the abilities of the Arwing. One fun aspect I thought about is the possibility to bring in Falco, Slippy, Peppy, Fae, and Miyu with alternate costumes! Fox is a secret character
  • Barista is the long-awaited Rhythm Heaven representative. I chose him due to his status as a canonical good player of the rhythm-based mini-games (correct me if I'm wrong). He'd be somewhat similar to Mr. Game & Watch and most of his attacks would be multi-hit that get stronger if the hits are inputed rhythmically. Barista is a secret character.
  • Shulk would be basically unchanged from his Smash appearance, with the Monado Arts to change his playstyle. Cool.
  • Rex is our secret Xenoblade character, but Pyra would join him too! She'd stay in the background, but if the two are close to each other their strength increases.
  • Noah is the last Xenoblade character. I'll be honest with you, I have no idea of how he fights in his games. As I said, I really don't like the Xenoblade series.
  • Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo (a secret character) would retain their general feeling from previous Smash titles, but I'd give them plenty of new moves to better reflect their most iconic attacks. If anything, I feel that Charizard is the one that is currently doing better in this department. So expect moves such as Surf, Volt Switch (for Pikachu), Inferno, Seismic Toss (for Charizard), Psystrike and Future Sight (for Mewtwo) thrown into the mix.
  • Alear joins with Emblem Marth by his side. Think of it as Joker in Smash, but replace Arsène with Marth. Alear himself would feel very similar to a weakened version of Lucina, but with Emblem Marth he'd have power to spare. Female Alear makes an appearance as an alternate costume!
  • Nell represents the Advance Wars series. She was picked over Andy or Sami due to her status of a tutorial character. She'd summon pixelated version of the Orange Star troops to attack, while also flailing with her stick for some of her normals. She'd be a secret character.
  • This mixture of NES sprites is known as NES Remix and it pays homage to other NES titles. You'd play as a pixelated version of Little Mac, but it would transform into other characters (not limited to the Ice Climbers and Mario) to performs specific attacks, à la Mr. Game and Watch in Ultimate. NES Remix would be a secret character.
  • The Mii makes a comeback, but this time without the Brawler-Swordfighter-Gunner shenanigan. The Mii's moveset would be based on the games that featured them, mostly in the Wii-Wii U-3DS eras. You'd still retain the ability to customize their appearances, even using headgears and costumes like in Smash.

Putting Xenoblade and Pokemon in the same corner also thanks Monolith Soft for being so fruitful during the Switch era that they've become what Game Freak used to be. And to be honest, I actually agree with your character choices for both IP.

If Zelda is not going to be playable, at least make her an Assist Trophy or something. Why have only two users of the Triforce? But as a character and as a fighter, I have to concur with your opinion on this level.

Actually, while Jigglypuff is the easiest one to cut, I wholeheartedly stand by you throwing Captain Falcon out the window, for precisely the same reasons you think so. Honestly, though, the one of these three I'd make a case for is Ness, since Lucas is already fodder for the cutting room floor, we already have three better candidates for a non-Pikachu fighter from Pokemon, and not many people remember F-Zero. But if we were pulling a Jason Vorhees on all these guys, I probably would cut all of them out if it means Luigi stays.

Alear being the only Fire Emblem rep? Considering how much of a sour meme "Another Fire Emblem character" and "Another sword user" have become in recent years, I would welcome that. Maybe keep Robin around if there's room in the DLC, but the rest can just be in Alear's literal palms.

Nearly all of this roster has the essential Nintendo characters for the job. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Link, Kirby, DK, Isabelle, etc. Only a handful of characters are there for the surprise factor. It's when we look into them more that I start to unravel this situation.

Luigi as a clone of Mario? Yes, it is historically fitting and it's how most people view him, but I'd argue people wouldn't like having his uniqueness stripped from him. But Mario's hammer, Peach's new personality, and Bowser's calmer fighting style are things that really work in their favors.

I wouldn't have thought Yoshi has aged the best of the Original 12, but that might be because his series named after him hasn't really changed since the N64 days. However, reworking Wario's moveset in favor of his platformers, and making DK and Diddy a duo fighter where Donkey Kong does more of the fighting? I'd say that is what people, whether inside or outside the Smash bubble, would be asking for.

Hopefully, Ridley and Dark Samus are Assist Trophies. Dark Samus started out as one, and Rathalos has proven you can make a boss battle into a summon.

At this rate, Octoling is a must-have for the next Smash entry, whatever it becomes. They've earned it.

If the BOTW version of Link happens to be a separate fighter again, at least that's one less Link than before at most. And if Captain Falcon is gone from the game, we might as well give them Blue Pig Ganon instead of "Medieval Black Shadow".

Kirby and Dedede are must-haves, being an Original 12 member and a fighter who was planned for Smash 64, respectively. Kirby having more canon copy abilities for his normals would be nice, and if you're using DDD's 2020s look, we're basically getting Buff Dedede at no extra charge. I will say the guy's anime voice in a video game would be funny, so there's that.

At least Olimar is kept in this reboot, so it's not just the BIG franchises. No pun intended. And the reverse of his current moveset could take getting used to, but it would be worth it.

I'm just gonna admit it. I was rooting for Spring Man to be our ARMS rep in Ultimate, and still do want him as a secondary rep from that game. But if he somehow manages to replace Min Min's seat, I'd consider that a rectified issue in my book.

Conversely, I would have liked to see the Villager remain a fighter. But if we had to sack him and keep Isabelle, at least Tom Nook being a newcomer would mean we don't really lose the representation. I personally feel doing this would be the next step to just erasing the town management aspect of the games and solely focusing on the animal inhabitants. At this rate, I wouldn't put it past them right now.

Fox getting to return would surprise me as much as the average Melee player. That is all.

Finally, a Rhythm Heaven character! And at this rate, I'm not even picky for who gets in.

Shulk being unchanged is nice, and Noah already looks like a Smash rep in the making. But between Rex and Pyra in favor of Pyra and Mythra, and the added movepool for Pikachu and Mewtwo, I'd say you've done a good job righting some wrongs there.

Alear and Marth being this reboot's Joker and Arsene is JUST the kind of Fire Emblem rep I want to see. Like I said earlier, maybe add Robin if the demand for a second FE character is high enough. But frankly, Alear should just get a reworked moveset between each Smash installment now to cycle in his/her Emblem Rings.

Nell is not who I expected to be our Advance Wars fighter, but she's cool.

NES Remix basically being the sock drawer for all the retro fighters in the old Smash could get a little confusing, but as a character space, it's the best way to have the retro side sneak through without singling in just one fighter.

The Mii's customizable costumes is what we really picked them for in Ultimate. Giving them a legit moveset just made them even better.

Overall, I don't think this is awful. Sure, I find myself disagreeing with a couple things, but the general product here is not something I would actively hate.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

A wacky clash between the greats of Sunsoft's history! I felt they'd be a fun company to delve into given their interesting but slightly more obscure history compared to the likes of Namco, Capcom or Konami - so here goes nothing! Note that the characters included are in no particular order.

01. Hebe. A simple, but fun, addition from the Hebereke series - Hebe would be able to bring in his friends O-Chan, Sukezaemon and Jennifer to fight alongside him in a sort of middle-ground between Ren and Stimpy and Ice Climbers.
02. Jason. I considered having this be Jason and SOPHIA, playing similarly to the original game by hopping in and out of the tank, but in this case you'd play as Jason and have access to SOPHIA's firepower in the form of a more manouverable "final smash" similar to Fox and Falco's Landmaster.
03. Sunman. An unfinished stand-in for a game originally planned to be a Superman title, I think Sunman's nature as a superhero lends well to a game like this - plus, he'd be able to have a lot of aerial manouverability which seems like quite a lot of fun. He's also sort of a rep of Sunsoft's DC games, so there's that too I suppose.
04. Yumetaro. The main character from Mr. Gimmick, I felt Yumetaro would be a really fun "scrimblo" inclusion who'd have a lot of mid-range options with his star powers, as well as a generally high degree of manouverability.
05. Jay McCray. In this case, I'd like to imagine Jay working more like a trapper character by using the various smaller robots he fights for stage control, making him pretty unique to Jason's more projectile-focused nature. Journey to Silius felt like something fun to see here!
06. Cark and Carry. A "futuristic guy and small robot buddy" duo from the text-based adventure game Dead Zone, I felt they'd be a really fun inclusion to try and give a unique portrayal in a game like this, especially given the context of their source material.
07. Jeanne D'Arc. Specifically from World Heroes, a later Sunsoft/SNK fighting game, I felt Jeanne was the best pick from the game despite not being the main character. She went on to appear in SNK Heroines, and her chain-sword fighting style would be really fun to see.
08. Politank Z. Likewise, I wanted to just think of the best-fitting character from Waku Waku 7's diverse cast, and the policeman and dog duo riding a small mecha sounded like a perfect counter to a character like Jason.
09. Aero. From Aero the Acro-Bat, I think his "animal scrimblo" character would make him fun to see, as would his acrobatic moveset based on stunts and the like. Not much to say here, he just felt... logical.
10. Albert. From the Albert Odyssey series, he comes closest to filling the role of a traditional RPG hero character. Similarly to Marth, he originates from a strategy series so I think there's potential to explore that sort of strategic playstyle in his own moveset.
11. Sasuke. From the game Shounen Ninja Sasuke, he's a ninja who isn't to be confused with another, more popular ninja named Sasuke. Overall, I felt a ninja character would be a fun inclusion and overall felt like a logical addition.
12. Opa-Opa. Turns out Sunsoft had a history of porting Fantasy Zone to various different places, one of the most notable being the NES - and Opa-Opa feels like a natural inclusion with this in mind. Overall, they have a very aerially-oriented playstyle that, in some way, implements the shop.

As for unlockable picks:
XX: Zero. Aero's great rival, and the protagonist of his own game Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, I felt Zero would be a pretty solid inclusion to fill out a "rapid swordmaster" archetype, as well as tossing in a few explosions for good measure.
XX: Yacopu. Originally the main character from Trip World, but then featuring as the mid-boss of Galaxy Fight, Yacopu is a small rabbit that can shapeshift into nearly anything - including opponents. I picture their moveset being like a combination of Twelve from SFIII with the body type of Pichu.
XX: Jennifer Simpson. This seems like an utterly ridiculous inclusion but here's Jennifer Simpson from the 1995 point-and-click horror title Clock Tower. I have little to no idea how she'd play, maybe using garden shears, but she seems like such an off-the-wall inclusion that she'd be fun.
XX: Lemmings. I was torn between a couple of guest picks to have here, but I felt the Lemmings would be by far the most fun (justified by Sunsoft publishing the game for the NES, SNES and Genesis!) I think they'd be pretty technical, which is why they go into unlockable territory, but they'd be cool.

And, a couple of secret fighters:
0A. Kangaroo. A secret fighter from one of Sunsoft's earliest titles, I felt the concept of a "boxing kangaroo" would just naturally lend very well to a game like this. Overall it just felt like a good choice from an earlier title and a cool way to represent their arcade roots.
0B. Bonus-Kun. Featured in both Waku Waku 7 and Galaxy Fight, Bonus-Kun is a shoto fighter from a world where everyone is a punching bag. And is likewise a punching bag. Honestly, he felt like an utterly perfect addition in spite of the games hes from already having reps, so he gets in!

It's a smaller roster than some of my previous, but I think this is a pretty okay one at the very least (even if I'll admit there's a lot of bias toward their NES era, Chameleon Twist fans are screaming right now) but hey, I think it's got a lot of variety at minimum. Hope this is cool!
I've decided it'd be a better idea for me to reinvent this old thing, because looking back... it's a bit of a mess. Tons of NES bias, overfilled with guest fighters, no Chameleon Twist? A true travesty. Let's fix that!

Here's the new lineup! Almost immediately, I think there'll be some things that spring out as obvious - but I'll get into them one-by-one.
  1. Hebe (Hebereke) is again here as a great "main character" that can represent Sunsoft in the most general sense possible. His moveset would be pretty scrimbloy, but would also put his friends O-Chan, Sukezaemon and Jennifer to use for some moves.
  2. Jason (Blaster Master) is in this case focused on his gameplay in the top-down sections, but can summon in SOPHIA for more powerful attacks. I did consider having him be a sort of stance fighter but it didn't feel right. Also, Kane (from Meta Fight) replaces him in some costumes, having different animations and voicelines.
  3. Aero (Aero the Acrobat) works here as yet another of Sunsoft's most famous characters, even if he is just another 90s animal-based mascot of some kind. Given his unique position of being an aerially adept character with bat-like abilities, though - I think he'll be fun.
  4. Albert (Albert Odyssey) was mostly picked due to the series being named after him, and whilst I considered Pike from Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean, Albert himself felt fun given his use of two swords. The series he's from is also an RPG/strategy one, so think of this like Marth or something.
  5. Gonbe (Ikki) was a pretty notable omission from my last roster! I reckon in this case he'd probably fight with a mix of shurikens and his trusty bamboo stick, though his design would be taken from the original game as opposed to the light novel or anything like that.
  6. Yacopu (Trip World) again keeps the similarly interesting archetype of "SFIII's Twelve combined with Ultimate's Pichu" in some ways. Whilst his abilities and origin are obviously Trip World, he'd nonetheless take inspiration from his Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7 iterations.
  7. Lucia (The Wing of Madoola) was another notable omission, this time another cool fantasy pick who I think would make a lot of sense to include as another early Sunsoft rep. She doesn't step on Albert's toes too much either, and whilst there's a few fantasy picks, they're all pretty unique.
  8. Jay McCray (Journey to Silius) is in this case primarily based on his Japanese design, with his American look as an alt. Otherwise, it's a similar story - your fairly typical "action hero" moveset maybe being paired with a few robotic allies and such.
  9. Yumetaro (Gimmick) again seems like yet another "haha scrimblo" pick, but would make a lot of sense to include given the recent popularity of Gimmick and the like. His moves being focused on his use of star-like attacks would also make him a lot of fun!
  10. Davy (Chameleon Twist) is finally vindicated. Looking back, I feel like he'd have been a good pick to begin with - his unique tongue gives him a lot of interesting possibilities for moves that I can imagine looking like Kakyoin's in Heritage for the Future.
  11. Zero (Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel) is, indeed, another swordsman - but his take on it is a lot faster and wilder, befitting his scrimblo nature. Whilst it's technically a violation of my soft "one character per series" rule, I think he's unique enough to make a lot of sense.
  12. Sunman (Sunman) returns as a character from the unreleased Superman game that they had to change? I'll be real, it would have been cool to include like Batman or something, but Sunman is a really cool historical pick whilst also representing some of Sunsoft's superhero-based games. And hey, if it'd be possible to include some of their Batman music, that'd be awesome.
  13. Cark McRae (Dead Zone) also returns, mostly because I think he'd have a ton of potental and also a lot of interesting interactions with Jay. Given he's originally from a visual novel there's not a massive amount to work with here, but I think he'd be cool regardless.
  14. Kantaro (Kanshaku tamanage Kantarō no Tōkaidō Gojūsan-tsugi) is from the game with the longest title here - a Japan-exclusive. He's a fireworks salesman who uses explosives to defend his secret methods of manufacturing, so a bomb-based moveset feels like it'd really suit him.
  15. Wynn (Atlantis no Nazo) really easily fits into the "adventurer" archetype in my mind, and honestly feels like another fun pick from the early licensed NES era that I'm a little annoyed I didn't include originally.
  16. MAX Model (Power Quest) is mostly here just because I think it'd be cool to see how a modular robot character would play in a game like this. Not only that, but Power Quest is lowkey kind of a cool game. I guess there's technically a Ray MKIII problem here, but we could just scale him up.
  17. Gunter (Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors) is also included. I can't believe I forgot Galaxy Fight in the original! Gunter's included over Rolf in this situation mostly just because I think he'd be more unique - and Kazuya is another swordsman. Also, he's just... a pretty cool guy.
  18. Politank-Z (Waku Waku 7) IS BACK BABYYYY! I actually considered replacing the pair with Tesse, especially since I wanted to include another heavyweight in the form of Gunter, but I felt Politank-Z's whole vibe and moveset combined would make for something really fresh and unique. If I ever made DLC for this, though, Tesse would be high on the list.
  19. Stella (Astra Superstars) was picked as the rep from this series mostly out of a matter of personal preference and moveset interest - a lot of the characters from the game feel kind of samey, so her unique nature as a witch would be fun. I also like to imagine she's aerially adept, representing the unique aerial combat from the original game!
  20. Michelle Stevenson (Hard Edge) is pulled from a relatively obscure game this time around, though I think she'd be a lot of fun. She fights with a knife, and has a wide variety of upgrades - plus, she could probably pull in her partner Alex Bullet to whip out his anti-tank rifle for a projectile or two.
  21. Jennifer Simpson (Clock Tower) is actually, technically, a guest character - but felt like a good pick. Sunsoft only worked on Clock Tower 3 alongside Capcom, but Jennifer is the protagonist of the first game (and I picked her over Scissorman because I felt her ability to represent the point-and-click genre would be interesting.)
  22. Jeanne D'Arc (World Heroes) is technically also a guest character - Sunsoft ported the first game over to the SNES. However, I think Jeanne's nature and character would be a lot of fun to include, especially if we included her chain-sword from SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy.
  23. Spy Hunter (Spy Hunter) is our third guest character, mostly because of Sunsoft porting the first game to the NES and the second game to the SNES. A secret agent of some form felt like a lot of fun as an inclusion, and I'm a bit of a sucker for Midway being included in stuff like this anyway. Whilst we don't have much of a moveset, his James Bond inspiration would be a great place to start.
  24. Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone) also returns, though I came close to cutting him. That said, his unique place as a fantastic representative for the shoot-em-up genre was something I couldn't pass up. Sunsoft were responsible for the ports of both Fantasy Zone and Super Fantasy Zone to the NES, SNES and Genesis - and Opa-Opa's moveset would be a lot of fun if we were to include his various skills and abilities.
I hope this is a little better-researched overall. This actually started life as a Sunsoft vs. Data East concept, but I felt it'd be a good idea to set the record straight in relation to this first. Love y'all!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I've decided it'd be a better idea for me to reinvent this old thing, because looking back... it's a bit of a mess. Tons of NES bias, overfilled with guest fighters, no Chameleon Twist? A true travesty. Let's fix that!

Here's the new lineup! Almost immediately, I think there'll be some things that spring out as obvious - but I'll get into them one-by-one.
  1. Hebe (Hebereke) is again here as a great "main character" that can represent Sunsoft in the most general sense possible. His moveset would be pretty scrimbloy, but would also put his friends O-Chan, Sukezaemon and Jennifer to use for some moves.
  2. Jason (Blaster Master) is in this case focused on his gameplay in the top-down sections, but can summon in SOPHIA for more powerful attacks. I did consider having him be a sort of stance fighter but it didn't feel right. Also, Kane (from Meta Fight) replaces him in some costumes, having different animations and voicelines.
  3. Aero (Aero the Acrobat) works here as yet another of Sunsoft's most famous characters, even if he is just another 90s animal-based mascot of some kind. Given his unique position of being an aerially adept character with bat-like abilities, though - I think he'll be fun.
  4. Albert (Albert Odyssey) was mostly picked due to the series being named after him, and whilst I considered Pike from Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean, Albert himself felt fun given his use of two swords. The series he's from is also an RPG/strategy one, so think of this like Marth or something.
  5. Gonbe (Ikki) was a pretty notable omission from my last roster! I reckon in this case he'd probably fight with a mix of shurikens and his trusty bamboo stick, though his design would be taken from the original game as opposed to the light novel or anything like that.
  6. Yacopu (Trip World) again keeps the similarly interesting archetype of "SFIII's Twelve combined with Ultimate's Pichu" in some ways. Whilst his abilities and origin are obviously Trip World, he'd nonetheless take inspiration from his Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7 iterations.
  7. Lucia (The Wing of Madoola) was another notable omission, this time another cool fantasy pick who I think would make a lot of sense to include as another early Sunsoft rep. She doesn't step on Albert's toes too much either, and whilst there's a few fantasy picks, they're all pretty unique.
  8. Jay McCray (Journey to Silius) is in this case primarily based on his Japanese design, with his American look as an alt. Otherwise, it's a similar story - your fairly typical "action hero" moveset maybe being paired with a few robotic allies and such.
  9. Yumetaro (Gimmick) again seems like yet another "haha scrimblo" pick, but would make a lot of sense to include given the recent popularity of Gimmick and the like. His moves being focused on his use of star-like attacks would also make him a lot of fun!
  10. Davy (Chameleon Twist) is finally vindicated. Looking back, I feel like he'd have been a good pick to begin with - his unique tongue gives him a lot of interesting possibilities for moves that I can imagine looking like Kakyoin's in Heritage for the Future.
  11. Zero (Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel) is, indeed, another swordsman - but his take on it is a lot faster and wilder, befitting his scrimblo nature. Whilst it's technically a violation of my soft "one character per series" rule, I think he's unique enough to make a lot of sense.
  12. Sunman (Sunman) returns as a character from the unreleased Superman game that they had to change? I'll be real, it would have been cool to include like Batman or something, but Sunman is a really cool historical pick whilst also representing some of Sunsoft's superhero-based games. And hey, if it'd be possible to include some of their Batman music, that'd be awesome.
  13. Cark McRae (Dead Zone) also returns, mostly because I think he'd have a ton of potental and also a lot of interesting interactions with Jay. Given he's originally from a visual novel there's not a massive amount to work with here, but I think he'd be cool regardless.
  14. Kantaro (Kanshaku tamanage Kantarō no Tōkaidō Gojūsan-tsugi) is from the game with the longest title here - a Japan-exclusive. He's a fireworks salesman who uses explosives to defend his secret methods of manufacturing, so a bomb-based moveset feels like it'd really suit him.
  15. Wynn (Atlantis no Nazo) really easily fits into the "adventurer" archetype in my mind, and honestly feels like another fun pick from the early licensed NES era that I'm a little annoyed I didn't include originally.
  16. MAX Model (Power Quest) is mostly here just because I think it'd be cool to see how a modular robot character would play in a game like this. Not only that, but Power Quest is lowkey kind of a cool game. I guess there's technically a Ray MKIII problem here, but we could just scale him up.
  17. Gunter (Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors) is also included. I can't believe I forgot Galaxy Fight in the original! Gunter's included over Rolf in this situation mostly just because I think he'd be more unique - and Kazuya is another swordsman. Also, he's just... a pretty cool guy.
  18. Politank-Z (Waku Waku 7) IS BACK BABYYYY! I actually considered replacing the pair with Tesse, especially since I wanted to include another heavyweight in the form of Gunter, but I felt Politank-Z's whole vibe and moveset combined would make for something really fresh and unique. If I ever made DLC for this, though, Tesse would be high on the list.
  19. Stella (Astra Superstars) was picked as the rep from this series mostly out of a matter of personal preference and moveset interest - a lot of the characters from the game feel kind of samey, so her unique nature as a witch would be fun. I also like to imagine she's aerially adept, representing the unique aerial combat from the original game!
  20. Michelle Stevenson (Hard Edge) is pulled from a relatively obscure game this time around, though I think she'd be a lot of fun. She fights with a knife, and has a wide variety of upgrades - plus, she could probably pull in her partner Alex Bullet to whip out his anti-tank rifle for a projectile or two.
  21. Jennifer Simpson (Clock Tower) is actually, technically, a guest character - but felt like a good pick. Sunsoft only worked on Clock Tower 3 alongside Capcom, but Jennifer is the protagonist of the first game (and I picked her over Scissorman because I felt her ability to represent the point-and-click genre would be interesting.)
  22. Jeanne D'Arc (World Heroes) is technically also a guest character - Sunsoft ported the first game over to the SNES. However, I think Jeanne's nature and character would be a lot of fun to include, especially if we included her chain-sword from SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy.
  23. Spy Hunter (Spy Hunter) is our third guest character, mostly because of Sunsoft porting the first game to the NES and the second game to the SNES. A secret agent of some form felt like a lot of fun as an inclusion, and I'm a bit of a sucker for Midway being included in stuff like this anyway. Whilst we don't have much of a moveset, his James Bond inspiration would be a great place to start.
  24. Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone) also returns, though I came close to cutting him. That said, his unique place as a fantastic representative for the shoot-em-up genre was something I couldn't pass up. Sunsoft were responsible for the ports of both Fantasy Zone and Super Fantasy Zone to the NES, SNES and Genesis - and Opa-Opa's moveset would be a lot of fun if we were to include his various skills and abilities.
I hope this is a little better-researched overall. This actually started life as a Sunsoft vs. Data East concept, but I felt it'd be a good idea to set the record straight in relation to this first. Love y'all!
Worth noting irt Sunsoft and Clock Tower, they didn't make the original games but I think they own it now? Please correct me if I'm wrong

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Worth noting irt Sunsoft and Clock Tower, they didn't make the original games but I think they own it now? Please correct me if I'm wrong
From what I can tell, Clock Tower 3 was developed and published by them and Capcom together, but Sunsoft apparently own the license (though due to Clock Tower 3 being an abject failure, they've had no interest in coming back to the series.) That said, I'm not sure what Kono's place in the series exactly is - I'm guessing he doesn't get much of a finger in the pie, though, given he's made a spiritual successor in the form of NightCry. That said, whilst they own the license, I originally considered using Alyssa from the third game in place of Jennifer - but given it's the game recognised as the worst in the series, I felt it'd be best to go with the most iconic protagonist.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
From what I can tell, Clock Tower 3 was developed and published by them and Capcom together, but Sunsoft apparently own the license (though due to Clock Tower 3 being an abject failure, they've had no interest in coming back to the series.) That said, I'm not sure what Kono's place in the series exactly is - I'm guessing he doesn't get much of a finger in the pie, though, given he's made a spiritual successor in the form of NightCry. That said, whilst they own the license, I originally considered using Alyssa from the third game in place of Jennifer - but given it's the game recognised as the worst in the series, I felt it'd be best to go with the most iconic protagonist.
listen when I was watching the GCCX Clock Tower episode it was copyrighted to Sunsoft, that's all I know

Pupp135

Smash Lord

This is a pretty cool roster, and I’ll make my attempt at an SSB Reboot.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultbowser::ultdk::ultsamus:
:ultlink::ultzelda:Ganon:ultbyleth::ultlucina::ultshulk::ultpit::ultfox:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo:New Pokemon:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
:ultinkling:Octoling:ultolimar::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmiifighters:

I’ll just explain things that seem controversial.
Fire Emblem is a weird franchise as it doesn’t have a true mascot. I went with Byleth as Three Houses is the most popular entry, and Lucina was chosen because she’s the most popular of the Awakening trio. Also, I’d assume that Byleth would use a few magic attacks in this scenario.
Pit and Fox are the retro fighters in this entry. I like the Ice Climbers and Ness more as fighters, but I’m trying to incorporate as little SSB history as possible.
With Pokemon’s vast cast, I decided to go with the mascot, the most popular starter, the most popular legendary, and the seemingly obligatory promotional character.
The two Animal Crossing characters were primarily chosen because of Mario Kart 8 DX than anything else.
I believe that third parties would be a thing in a reboot as Sega and Nintendo have a better relationship since the ‘00s, and Miyamoto wanted Pac-Man.
Had SSB history been considered, Ness, Ice Climbers, Marth, and Ganondorf would be on this roster, and I think that I’d also try to add Ivysaur and Squirtle. If I had to guess which fighters would be excluded, they’d be Ganon, Byleth, Lucina (she’s technically not a clone in my reboot roster), Mewtwo, the promotional pokemon, and King Dedede.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
This is an idea I've had absentmindedly rattling around in the back of my mind for a while, but I've never really put it into practice - until now! I'd like to proudly present my concept for an idea I'm a little surprised isn't more common: Atlus vs. Capcom!

I'm thinking it'd function similarly to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom in that the game is a 2v2 fighter where you can also play as a significantly larger single unit who can't be paired up for balancing reasons. The reason for this is partially because I think there's a lot of interesting potential for interactions! That said, the roster I've got here is... odd, I'll admit. Let's run through it!

On the Atlus side:
  1. Demi-Fiend is the iconic representative for the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series here, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he's easily the most iconic protagonist from the mainline series overall, and he's had a solid degree of recent relevance and the like. He's also got a pretty decent "humanoid" build that feels less scrimbloy than, say, Jack Frost - and I also have a certain thought in mind for later down the line.
  2. Joker represents the Persona series here. Whilst I considered Yu or even Aigis, Joker's popularity would make him an obvious candidate for inclusion on the Atlus side (especially considering their roster consists of a lot of lesser-known characters overall.) He's a faster-paced character with plenty of thief-inspired attacks a little like in Smash - though he'll also put Arsene to use, too.
  3. Catherine might be one of the first really weird picks here, but I personally think she'd be a lot of fun. The Catherine series has been a fairly popular one in Atlus's library, as well as a newer one - and Catherine herself is (spoilers!) a succubus with magical powers. Remind you of anyone over at Capcom? I think playing into that could lend to a really interesting moveset if we took inspiration from certain events in the game.
  4. Ringo is the protagonist of the reasonably recent Soul Hackers 2, who again does a good job at representing some of Atlus's newer output whilst also being from a series that people really like. I considered a few other SMT spinoff characters in her place - Raidou and Nemissa came close! - but Ringo's use of a transforming COMP as well as demons in an interesting way that Demi-Fiend probably wouldn't seems like it'd be a lot of fun.
  5. Maken (Kay Sagami) is a bit of a weirder pick, but one I felt would be a lot of fun as an interesting pull. Maken itself is the sword - a sentient sword that can "brain-jack" its wielders and use them as vessels, which honestly seems like a lot of fun. The Maken series is a little obscure - and very late 90s/early 00s - but I think it's kind of warranted here, and feels like a lot of fun.
  6. GUILT is one of my favourites here. The Trauma Center series is typically represented in concepts like this with one of the doctors whom you play as, but the GUILT virus is a prominent... antagonist? with the ability to mutate into a variety of different forms, as well as being able to induce different effects such as tumours and the like. Given the GUILT virus would be a weird pull - but also one that doesn't violate the hippocratic oath - I think it'd be a lot of fun, especially considering a character present on the other side of the roster.
  7. Gunner is my chosen representative of the Etrian Odyssey series, which is a series with a wide variety of different character classes. Aside from purely the fact that she's got a Jack Frost pin on her hat and therefore must absolutely be Atlus's favourite, I think her zoning-focused moveset with a variety of different elemental properties and modifiers could result in a pretty unique character that would feel fresh compared to any of the others.
  8. Stocke is the main protagonist of Radiant Historia, and whilst he might come across as "another RPG protag", I think there's a lot of potential in the main mechanic of the game - the White Chronicle, a scroll that allows the traversal of different timelines. (Chrono Trigger vibes, anyone?) He's actually, interestingly enough, not the only time-traveller in the roster - but I also think that his design and personality lend to a lot of fun potential overall.
  9. Otane Goketsuji is arguably the central protagonist of Atlus's Power Instinct series, with it centring around her family's... well, drama. With that in mind, Otane's moveset could very easily pull from across the series - though I'd focus on the earlier iterations. The series is known for its more humourous tone, so Otane's more unusual moves like pulling out her dentures (yes, really) would give her a greatly unique presence - though I'd also really like to see how she'd interact with Ryu, being older and more experienced.
  10. Kurara Apricot arguably was the protagonist of the Power Instinct series for a short time, and is by far one of the most popular characters - to the point where she got a shoot-em-up spinoff of her own in the form of Purikura Daisakusen. She'd - similarly to Otane - pull from both that and the Power Instinct series overall, and would also bring over her unique transformation just like in the Power Instinct series overall.
  11. Solis R8000 is the main character of Groove On Fight, a sequel/spinoff to the Power Instinct series. She's a police officer who arrived from the future after determining she's a decendent of the Goketsuji family, and wishes to help them against threats to the bloodline to protect her own existence - so yeah, she's really cool. She's also got a decently unique moveset with her glove batons, and I think that her nature as a female police officer would give her unique interactions with a certain Capcom character, too.
  12. Slash Kamei is the protagonist of the Snowboard Kids series, and the one exception I made to the "try not to use scrimblos" rule (mostly because his SBK design is incredibly generic and doesn't feel anywhere near as fun as his classic look.) I think it'd be cool to see a snowboard fighter overall, because it's honestly always really neat to see how sports-related characters act in fighting games - plus, the Snowboard Kids series was honestly a pretty fun one for the N64 that a lot of people look fondly on nowadays.
  13. King Natas is the main antagonist of Dungeon Explorer, a Turbografx-16 game that would be one of Atlus's earliest - and the developers of whom would go on to work on a lot of the future Megami Tensei games. It's a landmark title in the history of action RPGs, and was wildly well-recieved at release... though less so now. Natas himself is an alien king from another world who has taken over the kingdom of Odessia, who disguises himself as the king in order to send adventurers to find the legendary Ora Stone. He'd be a recurring figure throughout the series over time, too.
  14. Slayn Wilder is the protagonist of the third game in the Growlanser series, which was the flagship series for Career Soft prior to their merging into the Atlus brand. I picked Slayn because I felt Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness was one of the more interesting and well-recieved games in the series (plus one of the only ones to come to Western markets), and also that Slayn's design and archetype is pretty solid. He's got a hugely oversized sword, of course, but also has the ability to see ghosts and spirits - and could include the Ring Weapon system from his game of origin, too.
  15. Princess Gladriel is the protagonist of Princess Crown, and is a princess who sneaks out of her castle in order to defend her kingdom from monsters personally. Whilst the game was only released in Japan and sold, well, abysmally (albeit this was because it was one of the last Saturn games to be released), I think Gladriel's potential moveset has a lot of interesting conceptual possibilities that would be cool to see. The game has you use a main weapon and a variety of subweapons as well as shields and seeds which can be planted to grow healing items, so she'd be a fun and fresh take on the RPG genre within a fighting game context.
  16. Frain is the central protagonist of the puzzle game Naname de Magic!, which is sort of a fusion between a traditional match-3 game with a large number of RPG elements. Frain himself is a fairly typical hero centred on the element of fire, so I think playing into that by having him have some conceptual similarities to Smash's interpretation of Roy would be a lot of fun. That said, a couple of nods to his puzzle-based origin would be nice too.
  17. Garland TFF-01 is the name of the ship you play as in BlaZeon, and is Atlus's "giant" character. That said, you don't solely play as Garland itself - rather, Garland is able to fuse with various Bio-Cyborgs (which are large space-mechas with varying weapons) for different attacks. I'm thinking it'd probably be best to have Garland use only a couple of these Bio-Cyborgs or a fusion of various, but the inclusion of such a mechanically unique fighter seems to me like it could be a lot of fun. I reckon, in terms of mechanics, this wouldn't be a stance fighter and would instead have similarities to how Ben Tennyson's animations work in Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion, but this time in an actually good game. Lol
So, yeah! The Atlus side is a little unusual, but has a few characters you could argue are iconic, a few characters with historical importance, and a few wild cards for a bit of flair.

On the Capcom side:
  1. Ryu is here. Well done. Look, I might as well be saying something like "would you like bread with your sandwich?" or something when it comes to a roster like this because of course he's here. It's Ryu. Why wouldn't Ryu be in a game like this.
  2. Sakura is already shaking things up, though. Look, the thing with these sorts of games is that Chun-Li (or maybe Ken) is in a lot of them - almost all of them, in fact. Now, I'll admit I understand why - she's an important and iconic character and all - but Sakura feels, to me at least, like a good (albeit unorthodox) pick. She's topped popularity polls for years, represents the Street Fighter Alpha series as opposed to just Street Fighter II, and she's a peppy shake-up with a cool personality and an awesome moveset that we very rarely get to see in crossovers like this.
  3. Juri, on the other hand, is a little different. This place wasn't really reserved for anything besides "a third SF character", but given that I originally had Ryu and Sakura on the cards, I didn't want yet another shoto-adjescent (sorry, Akuma fans.) With Street Fighter 6 having just released, I genuinely considered Luke for this spot... but he feels kind of basic. Juri's in a good spot, though - she's got a villainous presence without being too much, she's a solid representative of "modern Street Fighter" having been involved since Street Fighter 4, and she's still really popular.
  4. Poison probably isn't who you expected to see from the Final Fight series, but I'll be real - the problem with a lot of these kinds of rosters, like I mentioned with Sakura, is that certain characters are treated like locks. Haggar is one of them - and with Poison being a massively popular character to go with, as well as having plenty of unique moveset potential, I decided she'd be an awesome inclusion to shake things up even more.
  5. Akira Kazama is a pretty interesting pick from the Rival Schools series, because whilst I wanted a character from the series, I felt including Batsu again would limit me a little. Akira's whole deal is that she posed as a boy to investigate what happened to her older brother Daigo, and she's been a continually popular character from the series to the point where she was included as a DLC fighter in Street Fighter 5 (and was planned for other Capcom crossover games, like Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.) Also, her design is just... really cool.
  6. Jon Talbain has continually been voted as the most popular character from the Darkstalkers series, but I don't think he's... ever appeared in a crossover like this. Morrigan is usually the character of choice, and other picks like Hsien-Ko and Felicia are common too (with occasional appearances from Anakaris or B.B. Hood, but only occasional), whereas John is just... really cool. He's a werewolf that learned martial arts in order to control his animalistic impulses, which gives him plenty of interaction potential too! I considered a few Darkstalkers for this role - shoutout to Lord Raptor! - but Jon felt just... right, somehow.
  7. Tessa is one of the playable characters from Red Earth, an unusual fighting game with RPG elements in which you level up and develop different skills and immunities over time. She's a witch with a solidly unique (and really well-liked!) zoning playstyle, and she's appeared as the Red Earth representative in a variety of other crossover games - such as SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos and Super Gem Fighters, as well as being a decently popular character within Capcom's own lineup who doesn't often get the chance to shine like this.
  8. Dante from the Devil May Cry series is an overdone joke, and is honestly half the reason I even thought this up, but he'd undeniably be a pretty cool inclusion regardless. He's a mainstay of a lot of these Capcom crossover games (for good reason!), but he feels particularly fitting here as someone who kills devils and demons when a number of characters on Atlus's side are in some way demonically involved. It also helps that the DMC series is still going strong and retains a high degree of popularity, too!
  9. MegaMan.EXE is a bit unusual, I'm aware, because whilst "a Mega Man" is a fairly consistent theme within crossovers like this, I don't think EXE has actually had his chance to shine yet. Helpfully, the Battle Network series is a fairly beloved one in Capcom's catalogue that recently got revitalised with a re-release compilation of the titles, and I'd also like to take a moment to point out that he'd have great interactions with Ringo. That aside, his unique moveset potential speaks volumes - aside from just the use of tons of cards, there's a lot of mechanics you could include from the Battle Network series in order to give him a really unique presence.
  10. Zero is also often treated a bit like a lock, but I wanted to subvert that a little by going for his later look - specifically from the Mega Man Zero series. He'd fight here by using his various weapons from those games, like the Triple Rod and Shield Boomerang, and whilst he'd be able to take a few moves from his more well-known counterpart, I think this would be a great iteration to finally thrust into the spotlight - especially since the Zero series (and it's sequels in the ZX games) have also had recent re-releases. Also, come to think of it, the theme of being in a body that's not your own could also lead to some cool interactions with Maken.
  11. Nemesis is a fairly obvious pick at first, though this one had a lot of thought behind it. I knew I'd want at least one Resident Evil character, but I originally penned Wesker for this role before deciding he was kind of overdone - replacing him momentarily with Leon, a Tyrant, Jill, even Lady Dimitrescu - but Nemesis felt like a lot of fun even though he's been done before, mostly because he's a solid heavyweight with a pretty cool look and a lot of interesting potential. Maybe he'll have some interesting interactions with Solis, too - and he could be a fun foil for King Natas.
  12. Regina is one of the central protagonists of the Dino Crisis series, a more obscure one in Capcom's catalogue which is also a survival horror series focused on surviving dinosaurs. Regina's moveset would probably be mostly gun-based due to her nature as a weapons specialist, a little like Saki Omokane's in Tetsunoko vs. Capcom, but she'd also have some solid CQC and such (being that she's essentially a secret agent.) She also appeared later in Namco x Capcom, so that's something!
  13. Franziska von Karma is, I'm aware, an odd choice. The reasoning for this boils down to a few things. Firstly, I really wanted a Phoenix Wright character here somewhere, and Phoenix himself is the obvious candidate when looking at this. That said, straight-up porting him from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 would kind of take away from the uniqueness of his character there, even though it's a great way to represent his series. Franziska, on the other hand, is a still-recognisable character from the series (usually in a semi-antagonistic role), actually uses a weapon in the form of her whip, and is still a good representative of the entire series to a certain extent. She's not who you might expect, but I think she's fun.
  14. Amaterasu is the main protagonist of Okami, and whilst there's a lot of reasons I picked them - moveset potential, a unique body type, lots of popularity with a cult audience and so forth - I think it's also interesting to consider that the Japanese mythological inspiration is also a consistent theme in the Shin Megami Tensei series, and felt like it'd be fun to include mostly as a nod to that. It also kind of breaks away from the typical humanoid bodytype a little, which helps!
  15. Nina is the recurring(?) deuteragonist of the Breath of Fire series, one of Capcom's few RPG series overall. It doesn't help that the main character is also called "Ryu", but I primarily picked Nina because her winged (and almost angelic) nature could lead to some awesome interactions, plus it'd be cool to see how a more aerially-adept fighter would work amongst this more unusual cast.
  16. Firebrand is one of the central antagonists of the Ghosts 'n' Goblins series and also the protagonist of the Gargoyle's Quest series, and felt like a lot of fun to include for several reasons. I considered Arthur, but Firebrand's nature as a demon is fun (and really easily links into SMT again!), plus I wanted a representative for Capcom's earlier arcade output. A few characters were considered for this role - a 194X OC could be a lot of fun but might feel cheap, Strider appears in so much stuff he's practically a cliche, SonSon would be really cool but might step on the toes of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - so Firebrand just felt like a really natural pick to end off with.
  17. Princess Devilotte is Capcom's giant fighter, being from Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness... and yes, I know some people are saying it already, I genuinely considered Jin Saotome for this role for a lot longer than I'd like to admit. He's unquestionably iconic, has appeared in a number of different crossover games, and... well, that's kind of the problem. I feel like people might feel a little cheated if I were to include him exclusively in his mech, and the opportunity to include someone else seemed like a lot of fun to me. I immediately looked at Devilotte in this regard - because despite not even being playable in the first game, she's iconic regardless. She appeared as an assist in the first Marvel vs. Capcom, and even turned up in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo as a secret character - and her Super-8 would lend to a greatly unique and fun moveset overall. Also, she'd have a ton of fun interactions.
I'll admit the Capcom side is a lot stranger than the Atlus side and might have a few curveballs, but I think it's got a lot of good qualities in there too with some picks that people might not necessarily expect. I'll admit I went pretty hard on the fighting game reps here, but that being said, it roughly matches the RPG reps on Atlus's side, so I guess it's at least somewhat balanced. Sort of. Come to think of it, I think this is my first Capcom roster, and it probably really shows. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
This is an idea I've had absentmindedly rattling around in the back of my mind for a while, but I've never really put it into practice - until now! I'd like to proudly present my concept for an idea I'm a little surprised isn't more common: Atlus vs. Capcom!

I'm thinking it'd function similarly to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom in that the game is a 2v2 fighter where you can also play as a significantly larger single unit who can't be paired up for balancing reasons. The reason for this is partially because I think there's a lot of interesting potential for interactions! That said, the roster I've got here is... odd, I'll admit. Let's run through it!

On the Atlus side:
  1. Demi-Fiend is the iconic representative for the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series here, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he's easily the most iconic protagonist from the mainline series overall, and he's had a solid degree of recent relevance and the like. He's also got a pretty decent "humanoid" build that feels less scrimbloy than, say, Jack Frost - and I also have a certain thought in mind for later down the line.
  2. Joker represents the Persona series here. Whilst I considered Yu or even Aigis, Joker's popularity would make him an obvious candidate for inclusion on the Atlus side (especially considering their roster consists of a lot of lesser-known characters overall.) He's a faster-paced character with plenty of thief-inspired attacks a little like in Smash - though he'll also put Arsene to use, too.
  3. Catherine might be one of the first really weird picks here, but I personally think she'd be a lot of fun. The Catherine series has been a fairly popular one in Atlus's library, as well as a newer one - and Catherine herself is (spoilers!) a succubus with magical powers. Remind you of anyone over at Capcom? I think playing into that could lend to a really interesting moveset if we took inspiration from certain events in the game.
  4. Ringo is the protagonist of the reasonably recent Soul Hackers 2, who again does a good job at representing some of Atlus's newer output whilst also being from a series that people really like. I considered a few other SMT spinoff characters in her place - Raidou and Nemissa came close! - but Ringo's use of a transforming COMP as well as demons in an interesting way that Demi-Fiend probably wouldn't seems like it'd be a lot of fun.
  5. Maken (Kay Sagami) is a bit of a weirder pick, but one I felt would be a lot of fun as an interesting pull. Maken itself is the sword - a sentient sword that can "brain-jack" its wielders and use them as vessels, which honestly seems like a lot of fun. The Maken series is a little obscure - and very late 90s/early 00s - but I think it's kind of warranted here, and feels like a lot of fun.
  6. GUILT is one of my favourites here. The Trauma Center series is typically represented in concepts like this with one of the doctors whom you play as, but the GUILT virus is a prominent... antagonist? with the ability to mutate into a variety of different forms, as well as being able to induce different effects such as tumours and the like. Given the GUILT virus would be a weird pull - but also one that doesn't violate the hippocratic oath - I think it'd be a lot of fun, especially considering a character present on the other side of the roster.
  7. Gunner is my chosen representative of the Etrian Odyssey series, which is a series with a wide variety of different character classes. Aside from purely the fact that she's got a Jack Frost pin on her hat and therefore must absolutely be Atlus's favourite, I think her zoning-focused moveset with a variety of different elemental properties and modifiers could result in a pretty unique character that would feel fresh compared to any of the others.
  8. Stocke is the main protagonist of Radiant Historia, and whilst he might come across as "another RPG protag", I think there's a lot of potential in the main mechanic of the game - the White Chronicle, a scroll that allows the traversal of different timelines. (Chrono Trigger vibes, anyone?) He's actually, interestingly enough, not the only time-traveller in the roster - but I also think that his design and personality lend to a lot of fun potential overall.
  9. Otane Goketsuji is arguably the central protagonist of Atlus's Power Instinct series, with it centring around her family's... well, drama. With that in mind, Otane's moveset could very easily pull from across the series - though I'd focus on the earlier iterations. The series is known for its more humourous tone, so Otane's more unusual moves like pulling out her dentures (yes, really) would give her a greatly unique presence - though I'd also really like to see how she'd interact with Ryu, being older and more experienced.
  10. Kurara Apricot arguably was the protagonist of the Power Instinct series for a short time, and is by far one of the most popular characters - to the point where she got a shoot-em-up spinoff of her own in the form of Purikura Daisakusen. She'd - similarly to Otane - pull from both that and the Power Instinct series overall, and would also bring over her unique transformation just like in the Power Instinct series overall.
  11. Solis R8000 is the main character of Groove On Fight, a sequel/spinoff to the Power Instinct series. She's a police officer who arrived from the future after determining she's a decendent of the Goketsuji family, and wishes to help them against threats to the bloodline to protect her own existence - so yeah, she's really cool. She's also got a decently unique moveset with her glove batons, and I think that her nature as a female police officer would give her unique interactions with a certain Capcom character, too.
  12. Slash Kamei is the protagonist of the Snowboard Kids series, and the one exception I made to the "try not to use scrimblos" rule (mostly because his SBK design is incredibly generic and doesn't feel anywhere near as fun as his classic look.) I think it'd be cool to see a snowboard fighter overall, because it's honestly always really neat to see how sports-related characters act in fighting games - plus, the Snowboard Kids series was honestly a pretty fun one for the N64 that a lot of people look fondly on nowadays.
  13. King Natas is the main antagonist of Dungeon Explorer, a Turbografx-16 game that would be one of Atlus's earliest - and the developers of whom would go on to work on a lot of the future Megami Tensei games. It's a landmark title in the history of action RPGs, and was wildly well-recieved at release... though less so now. Natas himself is an alien king from another world who has taken over the kingdom of Odessia, who disguises himself as the king in order to send adventurers to find the legendary Ora Stone. He'd be a recurring figure throughout the series over time, too.
  14. Slayn Wilder is the protagonist of the third game in the Growlanser series, which was the flagship series for Career Soft prior to their merging into the Atlus brand. I picked Slayn because I felt Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness was one of the more interesting and well-recieved games in the series (plus one of the only ones to come to Western markets), and also that Slayn's design and archetype is pretty solid. He's got a hugely oversized sword, of course, but also has the ability to see ghosts and spirits - and could include the Ring Weapon system from his game of origin, too.
  15. Princess Gladriel is the protagonist of Princess Crown, and is a princess who sneaks out of her castle in order to defend her kingdom from monsters personally. Whilst the game was only released in Japan and sold, well, abysmally (albeit this was because it was one of the last Saturn games to be released), I think Gladriel's potential moveset has a lot of interesting conceptual possibilities that would be cool to see. The game has you use a main weapon and a variety of subweapons as well as shields and seeds which can be planted to grow healing items, so she'd be a fun and fresh take on the RPG genre within a fighting game context.
  16. Frain is the central protagonist of the puzzle game Naname de Magic!, which is sort of a fusion between a traditional match-3 game with a large number of RPG elements. Frain himself is a fairly typical hero centred on the element of fire, so I think playing into that by having him have some conceptual similarities to Smash's interpretation of Roy would be a lot of fun. That said, a couple of nods to his puzzle-based origin would be nice too.
  17. Garland TFF-01 is the name of the ship you play as in BlaZeon, and is Atlus's "giant" character. That said, you don't solely play as Garland itself - rather, Garland is able to fuse with various Bio-Cyborgs (which are large space-mechas with varying weapons) for different attacks. I'm thinking it'd probably be best to have Garland use only a couple of these Bio-Cyborgs or a fusion of various, but the inclusion of such a mechanically unique fighter seems to me like it could be a lot of fun. I reckon, in terms of mechanics, this wouldn't be a stance fighter and would instead have similarities to how Ben Tennyson's animations work in Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion, but this time in an actually good game. Lol
So, yeah! The Atlus side is a little unusual, but has a few characters you could argue are iconic, a few characters with historical importance, and a few wild cards for a bit of flair.

On the Capcom side:
  1. Ryu is here. Well done. Look, I might as well be saying something like "would you like bread with your sandwich?" or something when it comes to a roster like this because of course he's here. It's Ryu. Why wouldn't Ryu be in a game like this.
  2. Sakura is already shaking things up, though. Look, the thing with these sorts of games is that Chun-Li (or maybe Ken) is in a lot of them - almost all of them, in fact. Now, I'll admit I understand why - she's an important and iconic character and all - but Sakura feels, to me at least, like a good (albeit unorthodox) pick. She's topped popularity polls for years, represents the Street Fighter Alpha series as opposed to just Street Fighter II, and she's a peppy shake-up with a cool personality and an awesome moveset that we very rarely get to see in crossovers like this.
  3. Juri, on the other hand, is a little different. This place wasn't really reserved for anything besides "a third SF character", but given that I originally had Ryu and Sakura on the cards, I didn't want yet another shoto-adjescent (sorry, Akuma fans.) With Street Fighter 6 having just released, I genuinely considered Luke for this spot... but he feels kind of basic. Juri's in a good spot, though - she's got a villainous presence without being too much, she's a solid representative of "modern Street Fighter" having been involved since Street Fighter 4, and she's still really popular.
  4. Poison probably isn't who you expected to see from the Final Fight series, but I'll be real - the problem with a lot of these kinds of rosters, like I mentioned with Sakura, is that certain characters are treated like locks. Haggar is one of them - and with Poison being a massively popular character to go with, as well as having plenty of unique moveset potential, I decided she'd be an awesome inclusion to shake things up even more.
  5. Akira Kazama is a pretty interesting pick from the Rival Schools series, because whilst I wanted a character from the series, I felt including Batsu again would limit me a little. Akira's whole deal is that she posed as a boy to investigate what happened to her older brother Daigo, and she's been a continually popular character from the series to the point where she was included as a DLC fighter in Street Fighter 5 (and was planned for other Capcom crossover games, like Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.) Also, her design is just... really cool.
  6. Jon Talbain has continually been voted as the most popular character from the Darkstalkers series, but I don't think he's... ever appeared in a crossover like this. Morrigan is usually the character of choice, and other picks like Hsien-Ko and Felicia are common too (with occasional appearances from Anakaris or B.B. Hood, but only occasional), whereas John is just... really cool. He's a werewolf that learned martial arts in order to control his animalistic impulses, which gives him plenty of interaction potential too! I considered a few Darkstalkers for this role - shoutout to Lord Raptor! - but Jon felt just... right, somehow.
  7. Tessa is one of the playable characters from Red Earth, an unusual fighting game with RPG elements in which you level up and develop different skills and immunities over time. She's a witch with a solidly unique (and really well-liked!) zoning playstyle, and she's appeared as the Red Earth representative in a variety of other crossover games - such as SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos and Super Gem Fighters, as well as being a decently popular character within Capcom's own lineup who doesn't often get the chance to shine like this.
  8. Dante from the Devil May Cry series is an overdone joke, and is honestly half the reason I even thought this up, but he'd undeniably be a pretty cool inclusion regardless. He's a mainstay of a lot of these Capcom crossover games (for good reason!), but he feels particularly fitting here as someone who kills devils and demons when a number of characters on Atlus's side are in some way demonically involved. It also helps that the DMC series is still going strong and retains a high degree of popularity, too!
  9. MegaMan.EXE is a bit unusual, I'm aware, because whilst "a Mega Man" is a fairly consistent theme within crossovers like this, I don't think EXE has actually had his chance to shine yet. Helpfully, the Battle Network series is a fairly beloved one in Capcom's catalogue that recently got revitalised with a re-release compilation of the titles, and I'd also like to take a moment to point out that he'd have great interactions with Ringo. That aside, his unique moveset potential speaks volumes - aside from just the use of tons of cards, there's a lot of mechanics you could include from the Battle Network series in order to give him a really unique presence.
  10. Zero is also often treated a bit like a lock, but I wanted to subvert that a little by going for his later look - specifically from the Mega Man Zero series. He'd fight here by using his various weapons from those games, like the Triple Rod and Shield Boomerang, and whilst he'd be able to take a few moves from his more well-known counterpart, I think this would be a great iteration to finally thrust into the spotlight - especially since the Zero series (and it's sequels in the ZX games) have also had recent re-releases. Also, come to think of it, the theme of being in a body that's not your own could also lead to some cool interactions with Maken.
  11. Nemesis is a fairly obvious pick at first, though this one had a lot of thought behind it. I knew I'd want at least one Resident Evil character, but I originally penned Wesker for this role before deciding he was kind of overdone - replacing him momentarily with Leon, a Tyrant, Jill, even Lady Dimitrescu - but Nemesis felt like a lot of fun even though he's been done before, mostly because he's a solid heavyweight with a pretty cool look and a lot of interesting potential. Maybe he'll have some interesting interactions with Solis, too - and he could be a fun foil for King Natas.
  12. Regina is one of the central protagonists of the Dino Crisis series, a more obscure one in Capcom's catalogue which is also a survival horror series focused on surviving dinosaurs. Regina's moveset would probably be mostly gun-based due to her nature as a weapons specialist, a little like Saki Omokane's in Tetsunoko vs. Capcom, but she'd also have some solid CQC and such (being that she's essentially a secret agent.) She also appeared later in Namco x Capcom, so that's something!
  13. Franziska von Karma is, I'm aware, an odd choice. The reasoning for this boils down to a few things. Firstly, I really wanted a Phoenix Wright character here somewhere, and Phoenix himself is the obvious candidate when looking at this. That said, straight-up porting him from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 would kind of take away from the uniqueness of his character there, even though it's a great way to represent his series. Franziska, on the other hand, is a still-recognisable character from the series (usually in a semi-antagonistic role), actually uses a weapon in the form of her whip, and is still a good representative of the entire series to a certain extent. She's not who you might expect, but I think she's fun.
  14. Amaterasu is the main protagonist of Okami, and whilst there's a lot of reasons I picked them - moveset potential, a unique body type, lots of popularity with a cult audience and so forth - I think it's also interesting to consider that the Japanese mythological inspiration is also a consistent theme in the Shin Megami Tensei series, and felt like it'd be fun to include mostly as a nod to that. It also kind of breaks away from the typical humanoid bodytype a little, which helps!
  15. Nina is the recurring(?) deuteragonist of the Breath of Fire series, one of Capcom's few RPG series overall. It doesn't help that the main character is also called "Ryu", but I primarily picked Nina because her winged (and almost angelic) nature could lead to some awesome interactions, plus it'd be cool to see how a more aerially-adept fighter would work amongst this more unusual cast.
  16. Firebrand is one of the central antagonists of the Ghosts 'n' Goblins series and also the protagonist of the Gargoyle's Quest series, and felt like a lot of fun to include for several reasons. I considered Arthur, but Firebrand's nature as a demon is fun (and really easily links into SMT again!), plus I wanted a representative for Capcom's earlier arcade output. A few characters were considered for this role - a 194X OC could be a lot of fun but might feel cheap, Strider appears in so much stuff he's practically a cliche, SonSon would be really cool but might step on the toes of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - so Firebrand just felt like a really natural pick to end off with.
  17. Princess Devilotte is Capcom's giant fighter, being from Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness... and yes, I know some people are saying it already, I genuinely considered Jin Saotome for this role for a lot longer than I'd like to admit. He's unquestionably iconic, has appeared in a number of different crossover games, and... well, that's kind of the problem. I feel like people might feel a little cheated if I were to include him exclusively in his mech, and the opportunity to include someone else seemed like a lot of fun to me. I immediately looked at Devilotte in this regard - because despite not even being playable in the first game, she's iconic regardless. She appeared as an assist in the first Marvel vs. Capcom, and even turned up in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo as a secret character - and her Super-8 would lend to a greatly unique and fun moveset overall. Also, she'd have a ton of fun interactions.
I'll admit the Capcom side is a lot stranger than the Atlus side and might have a few curveballs, but I think it's got a lot of good qualities in there too with some picks that people might not necessarily expect. I'll admit I went pretty hard on the fighting game reps here, but that being said, it roughly matches the RPG reps on Atlus's side, so I guess it's at least somewhat balanced. Sort of. Come to think of it, I think this is my first Capcom roster, and it probably really shows. Sorry guys.
If guest characters are on the table...
  • Little Nemo (Tokyo Movie Shinsha version) for he Capcom side.
  • Richard Dastardly and Muttley from Wacky Races for the Atlus side.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Yet another "incredibly niche and specific" roster and another "what if Disney Smash with third parties" roster, my favourite combination!

Super Smash Disney Ultimate: The Fighters' Pass.

Bonus
  1. Snow White's Animals (Plant equivalent, a well known and popular character very few people would seriously consider)
FP1
  1. Miles Morales (Joker equivalent, highly stylized modern character who represents a spin-off)
  2. Doraemon (Hero equivalent, hugely popular in Japan but an unknown elsewhere)
  3. Totoro (Banjo equivalent, character who used to have a heavy connection to Disney which has since been severed)
  4. Rocky & Bullwinkle (Terry equivalent, extremely historically influential character with very little modern-day footprint)
  5. Iduna and Gale (Byleth equivalent, a shill pick from a franchise Disney is already pushing the **** out of)
FP2
  1. Mei Lee (Min Min equivalent, a shill pick from a mildly divisive recent release)
  2. Peppa Pig (Steve equivalent, a recent but all-time popular character associated with younger audiences)
  3. Patrick Star (Sephiroth equivalent, a second representative for a franchise with no prior Disney association)
  4. Ethan Clade (Pythra equivalent, a shill pick from a highly divisive recent release)
  5. Mordecai and Rigby (Kazuya equivalent, long-running franchise with very little fandom or aesthetic overlap with Disney)
  6. Roger Rabbit (Sora equivalent, presumed legal nightmare crossover character who'd be highly requested by fans)

Last edited:
Yet another "incredibly niche and specific" roster and another "what if Disney Smash with third parties" roster, my favourite combination!

Bonus
  1. Snow White's Animals (Plant equivalent, a well known and popular character very few people would seriously consider)
FP1
  1. Miles Morales (Joker equivalent, highly stylized modern character who represents a spin-off)
  3. Totoro (Banjo equivalent, character who used to have a heavy connection to Disney which has since been severed)
  4. Rocky & Bullwinkle (Terry equivalent, extremely historically influential character with very little modern-day footprint)
  5. Iduna and Gale (Byleth equivalent, a shill pick from a franchise Disney is already pushing the **** out of)
FP2
  1. Mei Lee (Min Min equivalent, a shill pick from a mildly divisive recent release)
  2. Peppa Pig (Steve equivalent, a recent but all-time popular character associated with younger audiences)
  3. Patrick Star (Sephiroth equivalent, a second representative for a franchise with no prior Disney association)
  4. Ethan Clade (Pythra equivalent, a shill pick from a highly divisive recent release)
  5. Mordecai and Rigby (Kazuya equivalent, long-running franchise with very little fandom or aesthetic overlap with Disney)
  6. Roger Rabbit (Sora equivalent, presumed legal nightmare crossover character who'd be highly requested by fans)
I doubt anyone would have considered separating Snow White from her animal companions into a separate fighter.

Miles Morales being the P5 Joker equivalent does make sense for more than just "representing a spin-off".

I mean, Nintendo's ties to Square Enix are comparable to that of Disney's ties to actual Japanese media, so Doraemon could be the Dragon Quest equivalent.

Honestly, I would have swapped Totoro with R&B around. Mainly because Rocky fits better as Kazooie than the Catbus does. Plus, if it weren't for Rocky and Bullwinkle, we wouldn't have Darkwing Duck. I'm serious.

Yeah, a Frozen 2 rep would be this game's Byleth counterpart.

I actually wouldn't mind Mei Lee in that regard. I'd also argue she would be a very fitting partner with Totoro in team battles.

I would have thought Bluey or Marshall would be the Steve equivalent, personally. But Peppa Pig has been around for longer than people realize.

Technically, comparing Spongebob to Final Fantasy has merit. For one, look at "One Winged Beach". Still works, though.

Okay, Ethan Clade might be the "divisive shill" I have the least awareness for as a character, and thus, would be more supseptible to the angry reactors.

Would this make Pac-Man's equivalent Bugs Bunny or Scooby-Doo? Furthermore, does this mean Finn and Jake would be our Heihachi?

Absolutely. And since Roger's a Disney character in the first place, plus the first one that fans want, this makes his placement even more special.

You made a good character selection for this perspective.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Fight out of time
A fighting game featuring time travellers.
Includes characters who used time travel and/or invented it.
1.Young Link
2.Groyvle and Celebi
3.Scream Tail and Iron Bundle
4.Lucina
5.Mecha King Ghidorah
6.Mothra Leo
7.Doc and Marty
8.Homer
9.Stewie and Brian
10.Fry
11.Mabel and Dipper
12.Wander and Sylvia
13.Luz
14.Iron-Man
15.Kang the Conqeror
16.Squidward
17.Danny Phantom
18.Lisa Loud
19.Blossom
20.Bubbles
21.Buttercup
22.Megas
23.Mordecai and Rigby
24.Nigel Marvin (Uses Smilodon, Theo and Matilda)
25.Future Predator

DLC
1.Dr.Strange
2.Peabody and Sherman
3.Crash Bandicoot
4.Timmy, Cosmo and Wanda
5.Dr.Evil

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Bonus
FP1
FP2
TBH Sora could've stayed the same lol

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Another Capcom-related concept I've had rattling around my head is what their take on a Heroines title would be. Y'know, like SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy, the middling fighting game best-known nowadays for that gender-bend they did of Terry Bogard and also Skullomania from Street Fighter EX. Yeah.

Okay, I'll be the first to admit, this is a weird roster of characters. Some strange inclusions, some familiar faces, some noticeable omissions. I'll get around to them all! Let's look at our main roster, first.

Main Roster:
  1. Chun-Li is an obvious face for this concept, being one of Capcom's most recognisable characters period and frankly an essential inclusion for this. I'll admit, though, I did momentarily deliberate on having her as the "main character" on the select screen, mostly because she's a little more complex than a traditional shoto. Hopefully, though, some later characters will help solve this problem.
  2. Rebecca Chambers almost immediately throws us in with a slightly unusual pick, especially considering that there's a couple of really obvious picks that would spring to a lot of people's minds in the form of either Jill Valentine or Ada Wong. That said, I think Rebecca would provide a unique take on the archetypical "Resident Evil character" playstyle with things like her RE5 flamethrower and tear gas canisters.
  3. Roll.EXE was a pick I deliberated on for a long time. The Mega Man series is in a unique spot when it comes to female characters mostly because a lot of them aren't as well-known as their peers, but the two most obvious candidates for this role - Roll and Tron Bonne - have appeared in a few of these sorts of games already. I deliberated on including Fairy Leviathan, Dr. Ciel, Aile, Splash Woman, Iris, or Alia in this role - but Roll.EXE felt like an interesting and unexpected pick to go with. Fitting her nature in the Battle Network series, Roll.EXE is able to handle herself in combat, but a lot of her attacks have buffing and debuffing properties, giving her a unique mage-like archetype.
  4. Trish, on the other hand, was a lot more clear-cut. A central character from throughout the Devil May Cry series with very interesting electrically-based abilities (and even an appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 3), Trish seems like she'd be a great representative for the series given Dante and Vergil aren't here. She's a little unorthodox, but she'd fit really well!
  5. Felyne, on the other hand, is another somewhat inspired pick from me here. Whilst including a female Hunter (similar to in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite) could have worked fine to represent the Monster Hunter series, the idea of using a Felyne was one that stuck out to me as a unique possibility - especially given their uniquely small frames, various weapons and attacks, and their status as pretty much the mascots of the Monster Hunter series.
  6. Poison is my representative of the Final Fight series, and is in a cool role wherein she's not completely antagonistic, but works as a slightly opposing force in a theoretical plot. I think her moveset has a lot of potential in a crossover like this, and I think her already iconic nature helps here too. Honestly, I'm surprised she's never been in a Versus. game before - I get that Haggar is typically the rep everyone picks for that role, but Poison would be fun too!
  7. Sakura is my second Street Fighter pick, and one picked for a variety of reasons. I felt Street Fighter getting two characters would be deserved, but the problem with going with Juri is that her predominantly kick-based moveset sort of overlaps with Chun-Li and a later character a little. That said, Sakura's unique take on the shoto archetype as well as her consistently popular nature within the series made her an interesting but fun choice for a game like this, and whilst I'll admit that picks like Cammy and Rose came close to taking her down into DLC, she felt like an obvious inclusion.
  8. Mai Ling is my chosen representative for the Red Earth series, and this one's actually another one I wanted to put a lot of thought into. I originally had Tessa in mind for this role, but a small part of me thinks that Tessa - whilst fun - could possibly take a back-seat compared to some other picks for once. With that in mind, Mai Ling (as the other female playable character) instantly sprung to mind as a peppy and fun inclusion who could bounce off other characters well, though I'll admit I momentarily considered her nemesis Lavia too.
  9. Franzisca von Karma sprung to mind almost immediately as another unusual, but inspired, choice - this time from the Phoenix Wright series. Whilst Maya Fey came close purely due to her use of psychic powers and her popularity, von Karma has a continual pedigree within the series, multipele appearances, and literally uses a whip. That alone almost convinced me, truthfully - whip fighters are weirdly rare within fighting games.
  10. June is a prominent character from the Star Gladiator series, which is notable for being Capcom's first foray into 3D with the fighting genre - and her use of a unique plasmatic disc weapon would make her a pretty fresh character overall, as would her generally unique vibe and design compared to almost anyone else on the roster.
  11. Rouge is one of the main characters from Power Stone, a cult-classic 3D fighter with a unique mechanic allowing you to transform by using the mystical objects known as Power Stones. She's on the cover, actually - and her unique vibe with the whole fire genie thing she has going on feels like it'd be a great fit for this gang of misfits.
  12. Akira was my choice to represent the Rival Schools series, being the central protagonist of the second game Project Justice, as well as having appeared fairly recently in Street Fighter V. Whilst I considered Hinata for this role, Akira's notability and unique design made her really appealing to me.
  13. Hsien-Ko is probably enraging someone out there now. I did genuinely consider Morrigan for this role (with a secret input of some kind to allow you to play as Lilith), or perhaps another Darkstalker like Felicia or B.B. Hood, Hsien-Ko felt like she'd be unique, fun, and a bit out there compared to just including Morrigan again in one of these games. There's also another reason for this...
  14. Yellow Iris kind of already represents the "cat person" archetype that Felicia would have done, and felt like a way more interesting pull. She's a playable character from the beat-em-up Battle Circuit, and has a pet fox named Fin - as well as decent skills with both her feral slashing attacks and also, weirdly, a whip. (Maybe they're not so rare?) She felt like she'd be a lot of fun, and you could always give her a Felicia costume if you wanted.
  15. Saki Omokane is one of the characters from Quiz Nanairo Dreams, a quiz/dating simulator (yes, really) and has wound up being arguably the most-well known character from the game due to her role as one of the assists in Marvel vs. Capcom as well as being playable in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. She fights with an oversized machine gun, so there's tons of potential to give her a slightly ranged toolkit with a couple of close-up hits using its barrel or something of the like.
  16. "Siren" & AEX-12J FORDY is another one of my deep cuts, this time from Armoured Warriors, another beat-em-up (and a precursor to Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness.) "Siren"'s real name is Sarah White, and she's one of the four playable characters from the game - piloting the AEX-12J FORDY, a mech with high speed and with great mobility, but comparatively low armour and damage. I felt her design and such would make her really unique, and having the FORDY be this much larger (but not too large!) character to go up against felt like it'd be a lot of fun - especially considering its surprising mobility. I imagine it'd be conceptually similar to Marvel vs. Capcom 3's take on the Sentinel - large, surprisingly mobile, lower-than-average health. Maybe you could even include the original game's central mechanic - a modular weapons system with a variety of different components for different effects!
  17. Amaterasu is here as one of our only non-humanoid characters, and this felt to me like a lot of fun. Okami is a beloved game with a strong cult following, Amaterasu herself has been playable in Versus games before now, and the potential that comes about from her interacting with characters like Yellow Iris or Felyne just seem really fun and appealing.
  18. Felry Carnihum is one of the two protagonists of Varth: Operation Thunderstorm, a scrolling shoot-em-up that's sort of a spiritual successor to the 194X series. I really wanted to include a character from the 194X series given the unique position and pedigree it has as a part of Capcom's history, but unfortunately, the lack of a real character to pull from made it difficult. However, Felry's place in Varth felt like it'd be fun. Given she's not actually a trained military professional, I would want to lean only slightly into CQC and character inspirations like Guile or Cammy, mostly focusing on her own playstyle being a bit restrained. She'd also be able to call in an airstrike from Casber Rublan, her wingman in the game. I think she should also have a costume that subtly references the Unknown Soldier from Forgotten Worlds, too.
  19. Tong Pooh is a recurring antagonist from the Strider series, and is pretty much the second best-known character aside from Strider Hiryu himself from the games. That said, her role as a villain felt like it'd be fun to explore here, and her use of a unique blade (a rinkaku) as well as her acrobatics and martial arts would give her a really unique stage presence that I don't think anyone else would really bring to the table.
  20. ...Dimitri? Yeah, this one's a bit of a funny little nod to SNK Heroines in a way. Dimitri (from Darkstalkers) is a vampire who's usually a male... but he has an ability known as Midnight Bliss, which can transform men into women, and women into... whatever, really. My concept for this is simple - he's used it on himself, and this "Midnight Bliss Dimitri" is the form in which he's playable here. (Think a little like how "Miss X" is literally just Iori in a dress.) Say what you will, but I think it'd be pretty fun - especially if he's a prominent boss or something.
That said, I'm not finished yet! I also lined up seven DLC characters (a first season, perhaps?) which I felt would act as interesting and fun inclusions to extend the roster a little. Let's take a look!

DLC Roster - Season 1:
  1. Crimson Viper felt, to me, like a bit of an out-of-the-box pick as our next Street Fighter rep. I originally had Cammy placed in this role, but I felt a "modern SF" rep would be a lot of fun to include. That said, I didn't want too much overlap with Juri, Chun and Mai all having a focus on kicks, so I felt I'd go with someone a little unorthodox. Sorry Marisa fans. C. Viper's various technological gadgets and gizmos give her access to a plentiful and wide supply of different attacks with all sorts of different effects, and I felt like her personality and nature as a secret agent would also be a unique one amongst this roster too.
  2. Tron Bonne was a pretty obvious pick from the Mega Man series, even if she's had her chance to shine in a few places already. She'd be similar to how we've already seen her. That said, shoutout to Iris - I nearly included her with the whole fusion thing she did with Colonel in X4, but I ended up feeling that Iris kind of didn't have enough going on in terms of popularity outside of the fairly insular Mega Man fanbase. (Also, Aile came close too, but I didn't know how to effectively represent Biometals without it seeming disjointed.)
  3. Lady is our second Devil May Cry character, introduced in the third game and putting to use a gigantic combination rocket launcher and machine gun with a bayonet on the front. As for how she's never been playable in a Versus game before this point, I'm genuinely unsure - her slower take on the DMC formula given she's a human, as well as her uniquely close-range nature for someone with such a huge weapon, would make her perfect for a series like this.
  4. Nina is our rep from the Breath of Fire series, though I'm going to suggest that this is sort of a composite take on the "Nina" archetype as opposed to a specific one. The series is one of Capcom's few actual RPG series out there, with a continually similar but different cast a bit like Zelda. Whilst the main character is usually Ryu, Nina also appears as a prominent figure in each one, being a winged girl and typically an adept magician and caster. Her JRPG stylings (as well as her use of wings, allowing her to be uniquely aerially mobile) could result in a really unique take on the mage archetype, though she'd easily be differentiated from Roll.EXE in a variety of ways. Also, she should have a Michelle Heart costume!
  5. Lady Dimitrescu is mostly picked due to recency, but also as another villainous character and another Resident Evil rep. Whilst I considered Ada Wong for this spot for an age, Dimitrescu's monstrous nature and terrifying abilities and presence made her feel (to me, at least) like she'd be a lot of fun to see in a game of this kind. It doesn't hurt, either, that she represents the more recent side of the Resident Evil series, in contrast to Rebecca representing the older entries.
  6. Baby Bonnie Hood is our third Darkstalker, picked for... quite a few reasons, actually! Firstly, her personality and moveset are honestly a lot of fun, as is her lore. The idea of her wanting to hunt down Darkstalkers for her own means is a lot of fun, and something I can see really being explored with the less humanoid characters on the roster here. It also doesn't hurt that she has actually been in a couple of Versus games, though hasn't featured for close to 20 years at this point. She'd be a lot of fun, in my opinion.
  7. Princess Devilotte rounds out the first season of DLC with a fan-favourite from a cult classic. Piloting the Super-8, Devilotte's whole deal is that she only respects people who are strong - wanting to recruit them to her kingdom, and also wanting to steal mechs for her collection. Her unique personality and moveset potential really feels like it'd be a lot of fun to explore - would Super-8 attack as a summon of sorts from off-screen? Should she pilot it? Should she have a sword? All sorts of fun questions! Plus, she's a neat counterpart to Jin Saotome given they're from the same game.
DLC Roster - Season 2:
  1. Rainbow Mika is my third pick from the Street Fighter series, mostly chosen because she's a grappler (an archetype we really don't have yet), a reasonably popular character from the Alpha series, and honestly feels like she'd have a lot of fun interactions. It also helps that her wrestling inspiration could work well as (at least partially) an analogue to Haggar, which would be fun.
  2. Princess Prin-Prin is the princess continually rescued in the Ghosts 'n Goblins series, being the last human with royal blood and thus a continual target of the Demon Realm. That said, whilst she doesn't immediately spring to mind as having much moveset potential, I think you could easily pull a Peach with her having a wide variety of different attacks based on the accessories that Arthur recovers throughout the games, like her Goddess' Bracelet. She'd be an unorthodox pick overall, but I think she'd be fun.
  3. Linn is one of the four playable characters from Alien vs. Predator, a character who's been continually represented mostly through cameos due to a bit of difficulty with the license for her. That said, she'd be really cool. She fights with a katana as well as using ki-based attacks, and has a variety of pretty powerful attacks to pull from as well as plenty of new things to introduce. Whilst I originally considered Sylphie (from Forgotten World) in this role, with a similar sort of gimmick to her costumes in Namco x Capcom, Linn felt like she'd be a more interesting pull overall.
  4. Iris is mostly picked here due to being a fan-favourite choice from the Mega Man series, in spite of her general lack of appearances or continual presence outside of a couple of games. I imagine she'd have a Z-Saber, similarly to in Mega Man X DIVE, but could also have a super in which she fuses with Colonel's battle armour as seen at the end of Mega Man X4. She's a bit unorthodox, but I think she'd be really fun.
  5. Lucia is one of the playable protagonists from the Final Fight series, specifically from Final Fight 3. Whilst she's not the first female protagonist from the series (that being Maki from Final Fight 2), Lucia's moveset and archetype (being a police officer) would allow for plenty of unique abilities and the like. Helpfully, she's also got a little something in common with Akira - that is, she featured in Street Fighter V too!
  6. Nilin is the main protagonist of one of Capcom's newer IPs, Remember Me. She's pretty interesting - having the ability to manipulate memories, which could potentially be used to lock down certain moves (like how Rohan is able to seal your Stand ability in All Star Battle), as well as having a robotic arm with a variety of useful tools such as the Force Spammer (a tractor beam.) She'd be a bit of an unusual character amongst the roster, but I think she'd be fun.
  7. Lavia is one of the eight unplayable bosses in Red Earth, and is a villainous harpy who had her powers significantly increased by the intervention of the game's main villain - Scion. Her nature as a harpy allows her to fly (a little like Nina!) but she'd have more of a focus on a close-up playstyle with powerful slashes and strikes. It also helps that she's got a pre-established relationship with Mai Ling - namely, she killed her entire village.
Last up! DLC Roster - Season 3:
  1. Cammy is an incredibly popular character from the Street Fighter series who very easily springs to mind as an obvious headlining choice for the third season, as well as being more recognisable than Viper and Mika. That said, her moveset would also be pretty samey compared to previous Street Fighter games. She's a safe, but popular, pick.
  2. Aile, comparatively, would be really different. The main protagonist of Mega Man ZX, her main "gimmick" is that she's able to use these powerful objects called Biometals in order to transform into different variations of her own moveset, giving her different weapons based on characters from the Mega Man Zero series. My thought process here is that instead of having some sort of stance-change moveset split between several characters, she'd have animations a little like Ben Tennyson in Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion, allowing her to rapidly switch between Biometals for different attacks - allowing for a wide variety of attacks overall.
  3. Oichi is a recurring character from the Sengoku BASARA series, who could actually work in a variety of ways. In more recent releases, her Dark Hands (which seem to control her) would make for a really unusual playstyle, though I'd also like to suggest her naginata as being a cool weapon that we don't see a lot of fighting game characters use. In fact, combining both of them (like in Samurai Heroes) could lend to a very unique take on the pupper archetype.
  4. Pure is one of the main characters from Adventure Quiz: Capcom World 2, being a continually popular character who's appeared in a wide variety of things (including Marvel vs. Capcom!) She's a mage, and has an cat named Fur - so her moveset probably makes a lot of sense being a ranged mage-type character, albeit different to characters like Nina and Roll.EXE mostly because her own magic is more... magical girl-type.
  5. Lynne is one of the central protagonists of Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, and whilst she doesn't necessarily have the ghostly abilities of Sissel, her nature as a fan-favourite character from a cult classic game makes her pretty interesting in my mind. One concept that I thought of is that it'd be fun to see her using weapons and tools related to the various ways in which she's died over time, such as a shotgun or a gigantic replica of a chicken's head (and her having a Resurrection super as a very loose reference to Gill would be broken, but very funny.) Also, it's a lot of fun to imagine how she could represent another new genre of games here!
  6. Natsu is our second Rival Schools character, and someone who I thought would be pretty interesting given her whole deal is that she's a volleyball player - using her skills in volleyball as part of her combat. The opportunity for such a unique take on the "sports character" archetype in a fighting game felt like one I couldn't pass up on, and another Rival Schools pick also just felt like it'd be a lot of fun!
  7. SonSon was my last pick, and sort of fills the intention I had here for either going with "a relatively old-school arcade rep" or "a character best-known from the Versus series", and whilst Ruby Heart genuinely did come pretty close, I felt that SonSon's historical pedigree as being from one of Capcom's earlier titles, as well as a lot of moveset potential and technically originating from Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes made her really appealing to me. She'd fight similar to in MVC2, with a few changes here and there to give her some solid tools - most prominently, she should be able to shoot a fireball from her staff, as well as being able to have fire out of both ends, as a closer reference to the game than to Journey to the West.
Whilst this might not be a very... typical roster by any means, I hope it's at least fun! I've been workshopping this for a few days now, so hopefully everything's in order and I haven't forgotten someone vitally important. That said, I'm aware there's a pretty obvious bias toward fighting-based games and 90s content... yeah, sorry about that. That said, though, I hope this is at least somewhat balanced!

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Spider-Verse fighting game by ArcSys
Miles Morales​
Peter B. Parker​
Spider-Gwen​
Spider-Man Noir​
Peni Parker​
Spider-Ham​
Kingpin​
Olivia Octavius​
Prowler​
Green Goblin​
Tombstone​
Scorpion​
Black Suit Spider-Man​
Spider-Man 2099​
Iron Spider​
Black Cat​
Venom​
Electro​
Vulture​
Sandman​
Mysterio​
Shocker​
Lizard​
Rhino​

For those wondering, I based this off the first movie, with one half of the roster being the main heroes and villains from the first movie and the other half being characters I threw in for the sake of having a DBFZ-sized base roster.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Nearly a month ago, I made a roster detailing what I think a Smash 64 with Melee's roster size could have looked like. Now, I bring you a similar premise - What if Melee had Brawl's roster size! (Well, technically 40 fighters since Sheik isn't a tag-team with Zelda in this universe but uhhhhhh)

Like the Smash 64 roster, I based my choices off the state of Nintendo circa 2002, as well as some anecdotes and tidbits Sakurai has shared about the real-world Melee. To remain true to Melee, I did put emphasis on including a few clone characters. Still no third-parties, though.
  • When it came to Mario's clone, I was torn between Dr. Mario and Shadow Mario - Shadow Mario would line up better with the recent release of Super Mario Sunshine, but there's something really appealing about Dr. Mario as a fighter conceptually that put him a little higher in terms of priority.
  • Princess Peach is essentially the First Lady of Nintendo, so she had to get in. This means that the Mario franchise's lineup remains the same as real-world Melee.
  • For a second Donkey Kong rep, I was debating whether to add Diddy Kong or King K. Rool, since the latter just barely missed out on the 64 roster. However, given that the Rare-Microsoft buyout would have been a done deal by the time Melee released in this timeline, I went with Diddy since it feels like Nintendo was more comfortable using him post-buyout than most of Rare's other creations.
  • Wario isn't a new fighter, but his default appearance does change to his WarioWare getup.
  • I went with Toon Link over Young Link for a Link clone, as Wind Waker would have been announced by that time (and might have already been released in Japan).
  • With the Metroid renaissance brought on by Prime and the GBA games, I decided to double dip and add both Dark Samus and Ridley, with the former serving as a Samus clone.
  • Meta Knight was a simple addition to the Kirby lineup. No super detailed/elaborate reason why he's here.
  • My focus with the new Pokemon fighters was adding Gen 2 and 3 representation: Pichu returns as Pikachu's clone, with Groundon serving as an unique fighter (he could also work as a Bowser semi-clone, but that wasn't really my thought when adding him).
  • Black Shadow fills the Ganon clone void, since Ganondorf himself was introduced in the last roster.
  • Roy returns as a Marth clone.
  • The Ice Climbers return, but they also bring some other NES friends!
    • Balloon Fighter was in consideration for Melee alongside the Climbers.
    • Mach Rider was next to Excitebike in terms of who could get in while I did this roster, but I gave Mach Rider the edge due to their game being a little more niche.
    • Takamaru was stated to be unlikely by Sakurai, but I feel like he'd try to get him in if he had the chance.
  • Finally, Olimar would be a shill for the recently-relased Pikmin.
Honorable mentions to Ganon, Lucas, and Lyn.

I might do a "Brawl with Smash 4's roster size" roster sometime soon, but that'll be the last of these expansions on past Smash games - I can't see a "Sm4sh with Ultimate's size" roster being too fun to do, TBH.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Nearly a month ago, I made a roster detailing what I think a Smash 64 with Melee's roster size could have looked like. Now, I bring you a similar premise - What if Melee had Brawl's roster size! (Well, technically 40 fighters since Sheik isn't a tag-team with Zelda in this universe but uhhhhhh)

Like the Smash 64 roster, I based my choices off the state of Nintendo circa 2002, as well as some anecdotes and tidbits Sakurai has shared about the real-world Melee. To remain true to Melee, I did put emphasis on including a few clone characters. Still no third-parties, though.
  • When it came to Mario's clone, I was torn between Dr. Mario and Shadow Mario - Shadow Mario would line up better with the recent release of Super Mario Sunshine, but there's something really appealing about Dr. Mario as a fighter conceptually that put him a little higher in terms of priority.
  • Princess Peach is essentially the First Lady of Nintendo, so she had to get in. This means that the Mario franchise's lineup remains the same as real-world Melee.
  • For a second Donkey Kong rep, I was debating whether to add Diddy Kong or King K. Rool, since the latter just barely missed out on the 64 roster. However, given that the Rare-Microsoft buyout would have been a done deal by the time Melee released in this timeline, I went with Diddy since it feels like Nintendo was more comfortable using him post-buyout than most of Rare's other creations.
  • Wario isn't a new fighter, but his default appearance does change to his WarioWare getup.
  • I went with Toon Link over Young Link for a Link clone, as Wind Waker would have been announced by that time (and might have already been released in Japan).
  • With the Metroid renaissance brought on by Prime and the GBA games, I decided to double dip and add both Dark Samus and Ridley, with the former serving as a Samus clone.
  • Meta Knight was a simple addition to the Kirby lineup. No super detailed/elaborate reason why he's here.
  • My focus with the new Pokemon fighters was adding Gen 2 and 3 representation: Pichu returns as Pikachu's clone, with Groundon serving as an unique fighter (he could also work as a Bowser semi-clone, but that wasn't really my thought when adding him).
  • Black Shadow fills the Ganon clone void, since Ganondorf himself was introduced in the last roster.
  • Roy returns as a Marth clone.
  • The Ice Climbers return, but they also bring some other NES friends!
    • Balloon Fighter was in consideration for Melee alongside the Climbers.
    • Mach Rider was next to Excitebike in terms of who could get in while I did this roster, but I gave Mach Rider the edge due to their game being a little more niche.
    • Takamaru was stated to be unlikely by Sakurai, but I feel like he'd try to get him in if he had the chance.
  • Finally, Olimar would be a shill for the recently-relased Pikmin.
Honorable mentions to Ganon, Lucas, and Lyn.

I might do a "Brawl with Smash 4's roster size" roster sometime soon, but that'll be the last of these expansions on past Smash games - I can't see a "Sm4sh with Ultimate's size" roster being too fun to do, TBH.
This is a pretty cool roster, and a playable Groudon would be cool to see. I’ll make my sequels the rosters I made.

Expanded Melee:
:4mario::4drmario::4luigi::4peach::ultdaisy::toadnaani::4bowser::4dk::4yoshi::4wario2:
:4link::ultyounglink:Ganon(:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:):4kirby:Gooey:4dedede::4metaknight::4samus::4falcon:
:4pikachu::4charizard::052::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::ultpichu::4fox::4falco::wolf::4ness:
:4marth::4feroy::popo:(Solo), Lip:4littlemac::4rob::4pit::4gaw::4olimar:
Secret Fighters: :4drmario::toadnaani::ultdaisy:(:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:), Gooey,:4metaknight::4falcon::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::ultpichu::wolf::4feroy::4rob::4gaw:
Peach is the one character that I wanted in my 64 roster, but technical limitations regarding polygon counts got in the way.
Dr. Mario and Daisy were initially alts, so why not make them clones.
The transformation gimmick is cool, so I’m keeping it.
Gooey and Meta Knight had votes.
Charizard is added just to have a starter than anything else.
Pichu is the promotional pokemon.
Wolf seems easy enough to add.
Roy is also a promotional character.
I’d like to add Diddy, but if Mario Tennis didn’t add him, I’d probably be uncomfortable adding other DK fighters at the moment. Instead, I’ll load up on retro fighters as there really aren’t any major fighters that I could think of adding at the time.
Olimar is here because I think he was suggested initially in the real development cycle.

SSB 2on the Wii (I assume the delay stays, but the roster is smaller as I have fewer veterans):
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4olimar:
:4link::sheilda::4ganondorf::4tlink::4marth::4myfriends::4ness::4lucas::4samus:
:4pikachu::4mewtwo::pt::4lucario::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::popo:
:4fox::4falco:Krystal:wolf::4pit::snake::4sonic:
Secret Fighters::sheilda::4tlink::4marth::4lucas::4mewtwo::4lucario::4metaknight::4falco::wolf:
The only cuts that I think would need to happen are Pichu and Roy.
Wario, Diddy Kong, Ganondorf, and King Dedede were pretty much non-negotiable at this point.
Meta Knight is less important than those above, but he was requested.
Pokemon Trainer seems cool, so he stays.
Ike, Lucas, and Lucario stay for promotional reasons.
Snake and Sonic give us our third parties.
I still want a retro, and Pit seems cool.
Krystal would help with female representation.
Olimar joins as he provides a new series, and he was a heavily suggested character
Toon Link and Wolf are relatively easy to add.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel if I tell you that I'm working on an alternate Kingdom Hearts where instead of Disney and Square Enix, It's Youtube

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... The Side-Over-Protag Timeline!

i think ive already done this lmao. Anyway, this isn't exclusively side characters sidelining protagonists, there's also a few instances of less popular side characters snubbing more popular side characters, and a few instances of characters being primarily portrayed in less popular/iconic versions - also, protags can get into the roster later if they miss out in their usual canon appearances.

1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Dark Samus
  6. Yoshi
  7. Kirby
  8. Fox
  9. Charizard
  10. Luigi
  11. Paula
  12. Jody Summer
  13. Jigglypuff
  14. Peach
  15. Daisy
  16. Bowser
  17. Ice Climbers
  18. Sheik
  19. Zelda
  20. Dr. Mario
  21. Igglybuff
  22. Peppy Hare
  23. Marth
  24. Lucina
  25. Goron Link (DK semi-clone)
  26. Ganondorf (yes, he's a jody summer clone)
  27. Mewtwo
  28. Lyn
  29. Chrom (still a Lyn clone somehow. I guess.)
  30. Mr. Game & Watch
  31. Meta Knight
  32. Pit
  33. Dark Pit
  34. Zero Suit Samus
  35. Wario
  36. Snake
  37. Ike
  38. Professor Oak - Pikachu
  39. Professor Oak - Squirtle
  40. Professor Oak - Venusaur (rare "more popular version" moment - wanted to keep the evolution tree theme intact)
  41. Dixie Kong
  42. Kumatora
  43. Sonic
  44. King Dedede
  45. Olimar
  46. Lucario
  47. ROB
  48. Tetra (still a Link clone)
  49. Leon
  50. Isabelle
  51. Mega Man
  52. Wii Fit Trainer
  53. Rosalina & Luma
  54. King Hippo
  55. Frogadier
  56. Mii Brawler
  57. Mii Gunner
  58. Mii Swordfighter
  59. Palutena
  60. Pac-Man
  61. Robin
  62. Shulk
  63. Roy Koopa (solo, no Koopaling alts and fully Roy-themed moveset)
  64. Duck Hunt
  65. Zangief
  66. Darun Mister
  67. Cloud
  68. Tiki
  69. Bayonetta
  70. Callie & Marie
  71. Ridley
  72. Simon
  73. Richter
  74. Kaptain K. Rool
  75. Villager
  76. Incineroar
  77. Proto Piranha
  78. Joker
  79. Hero
  80. Banjo & Kazooie
  81. Iori Yagami
  82. Edelgard
  83. Min Min
  84. Steve
  85. Sephiroth
  86. Pyra
  87. Mythra
  88. Kazuya
  89. Sora
Honourable mentions to a leaderless Pikmin team (Not sure how it'd work in gameplay) and N&B design Banjo (comes off as a weird compromise between Xbox rep and Nintendo rep, which IMO is worse than outright having no Xbox rep).

Last edited:
Top Bottom