• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have a love life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
But does that make everything the fault of men today? No, not really. The feminism most people are against is the kind you find it Gender Women Studies courses.
You don't have to slap a woman on the *** to perpetuate damaging social norms. Women are still expected to raise the children which is why men don't get anywhere near as much paternal leave as women. Those are the sorts of things Gender Studies subjects teach, not that men are bad.

Equality is fine, but we don't need women whining over something that can't reasonably happen (ie, to be treated with respect, but not so much respect that they feel looked down on, and obviously not with so little respect that they feel looked down on. How can men possibly know that balance for every single girl he meets!?).
It's not that complicated: treat women with the same amount of respect you would a man.

No one can have both to the extent that current-day feminists want it.
The problem is that most people are ok with this.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
If anything I'm more polite to women than men.

Unless they be some crazy ***** all up in my grill.

Then I'll tell her to go **** herself.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
You don't have to slap a woman on the *** to perpetuate damaging social norms. Women are still expected to raise the children which is why men don't get anywhere near as much paternal leave as women. Those are the sorts of things Gender Studies subjects teach, not that men are bad.

It's not that complicated: treat women with the same amount of respect you would a man.

The problem is that most people are ok with this.
When you show most people "too much" respect, does they whine and complain about it? No. They accept it for what it is: respect. When you show a feminist too much respect, they believe it's looking down on them and treating them like they're objects.

A good example, one taken straight from a GWST class at my college: The professor told the girls to go hold a door open for a man and see their reaction, saying that the man would probably get upset or something. They did this because they wanted to show men that women don't like it when men treat them like ladies by holding doors open for them.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
A good example, one taken straight from a GWST class at my college: The professor told the girls to go hold a door open for a man and see their reaction, saying that the man would probably get upset or something. They did this because they wanted to show men that women don't like it when men treat them like ladies by holding doors open for them.
LOL WHAT. I was on your side til this. Are you serious ahaha. I say "thank you" and walk through the door.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
So either you hate the idea of treating women as equals or your too stupid to know what the word means but make assertions about it anyway.
Its funny cuz I didnt make any assertions about feminism at all. I simply stated that I hated feminism. thats no different from me saying "i hate chocolate" but u get all high strung about it.

And if you think "treating women as equal" is all that feminism is about, your sadly mistaken. Its funny that you think the only two options ar ei either dont want equality for women, or im just dumb. Far be it for me to both be educated, want equality for women (in a nutshell) and still have a bone to pick with their philosophy.

See you sound like some kind of hero when you make statements that make me look like a bad guy because you think I have something against women's right/equality. When in reality, Feminism promotes ideals and trends of thought which go way beyond simple "treating women as equal", and these ideals vary depending on what kind of feminism we're dicussing.

But go ahead and keep assuming I'm not educated on the topic, whatever makes you look cool on the internet. Funnily enough, people like u are part of the reason i hate that philosophy. "herp derp u no lieik womens rights?"

give me a break. :laugh:

edit: made this post before reading the ensuing discussion. Whatever, i have nothing against equality in and of itself. But people in favor of eqaulity, morals, and all that other stuff will always win on the internet. Theres no point in discussing an opinion which is contrary to that of someone seemingly in the position disadvantage seeking righteousness. theres no winning.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
When you show most people "too much" respect, does they whine and complain about it? No. They accept it for what it is: respect. When you show a feminist too much respect, they believe it's looking down on them and treating them like they're objects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package-deal_fallacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_example

@Everyone in general: Before one continues this debate let us throw out there some info on what feminism is.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism?show=0&t=1300910143

So there for I would be a feminist as would Mini Mic.

Edit: Just noticed that I should at least post something on the topic, I really can not find anyone that I find attractive in my school, well they most of them are good looking, but so far I can not find one that is mentally what I am looking for. (In my mind Mental properties are greater than how good she looks.)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Guys if it's really that important maybe we should make a feminism debate in the Debate Hall?

Don't want this thread to turn too ugly.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Somehow you managed to say nothing in 6 paragraphs.
mostly because i didnt want to. I wasn't addressing the goods or bads about feminism, or trying to prove my position on the matter was right, this isn't the place for that.
I was just defending myself from someone who attacked me under false assumptions and for no reason, other than i stated i disliked something (s)he apparently supports.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
The universe doesn't want me to get laid, but I'm going to anyway

Whaterrh

FEMINISM: I'm going to have an excuse for being a total ****. For clarification, I support the concept of feminism, I just think people in the 21st century are going about it all wrong.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Chicks are for ***s I'm sexually frustrated
IN OTHER NEWS,

I plan on seeing my "love interest" this weekend on Saturday. In terms of our... desires... we haven't gotten very "tame" at all about it. We've been texting every day telling each other things we plan on... "doing" to each other (lol) and just a couple of hours ago she sent me a very, very nice "picture" that I am quite pleased with.

Life is pretty good right now... For the most part. :cool:

Sim

Smash Apprentice
Ask her to blow your ocarina.

Ask her to sing the "Oh Canada!" theme song with a mouthful of...

Ask her which notes she produces.

camerino1

Smash Lord
My first social post. So, I liked 2 people last year... one almost worked, but the person in question was dating my best friend... oh how bad that turned out (still best friends though). The other one wasn't going to work, which I was fully aware of... still wish it had because of how easy it was for us to talk about ANYTHING. But i haven't liked anybody since and I still have a life to live, only in grade 11.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
When I was in grade 11 I had a crush on basically everyone in my year.

Lol hormones.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
We've been texting every day telling each other things we plan on... "doing" to each other (lol) and just a couple of hours ago she sent me a very, very nice "picture" that I am quite pleased with.

:p

Sorry, it just reminds me of Chris Hansen when he reads their chat logs of what you just said lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
When I was in 11th grade.. I moved to the boonies and all the hoes loved me.

No really. I couldn't get a good or decent girl to like me. First girl that had a crush on me here was a straight sex junkie and she wasn't even that cute.. -_-'

Btw enjoy your High School years while you can. Everything goes down hill from there.. lmaoooo

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Gee thanks xD i dont have probems getting a girl to like me i just get really shy whe i dont kow them,so just going to the mall or something i can't get #'s XD and i hate school i want to graduate and move to california

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Being gay is easier IMO.

That way you don't have to put up with women specific issues.

No offense to women but you guys are crazy.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
This is entirely anecdotal but in my experience, gays are a lot bigger drama queens than all but the craziest of girls. I have some pretty solid experience here because for some reason I have an extremely powerful ability to set off gaydars. Like, the guys who have expressed interest in me vs girls is like 10:1+ ratio. Including guys who were outwardly straight beforehand and multiple smashers :urg:

camerino1

Smash Lord
Hmmm, that's interesting... but for the most part I am agreeing because I only know 3 guys that are out and each is very dramatic. Not that I can't get along with them because they are generally nice people, but one wrong word and they treat you like you're a monster... not my fault I want to be your friend. On another note, are there many smashers here that are gay, because from experience with the guys at my school... not many games, only random MMO's.
(In grade 11 at my school in Sudbury offers nothing in terms of relationships, only 2 other those guys and girls into bondage... uhg)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This is entirely anecdotal but in my experience, gays are a lot bigger drama queens than all but the craziest of girls. I have some pretty solid experience here because for some reason I have an extremely powerful ability to set off gaydars. Like, the guys who have expressed interest in me vs girls is like 10:1+ ratio. Including guys who were outwardly straight beforehand and multiple smashers :urg:
Lol sucks to be you.

Hmmm, that's interesting... but for the most part I am agreeing because I only know 3 guys that are out and each is very dramatic. Not that I can't get along with them because they are generally nice people, but one wrong word and they treat you like you're a monster... not my fault I want to be your friend. On another note, are there many smashers here that are gay, because from experience with the guys at my school... not many games, only random MMO's.
(In grade 11 at my school in Sudbury offers nothing in terms of relationships, only 2 other those guys and girls into bondage... uhg)
You don't really wanna be those guys' friends. I don't. I have like no gay friends irl, but I know/am acquainted with more gay guys than I have friends etc.

In a way, I don't think gays are inherently flamers, I think in a lot of ways some of them at first let themselves do things which are traditionally seen as more effeminate, and because they're gay they can get away with it. Then there's this whole culture thing and eventually it sort of expands and they end up acting totally gay, but really I think they kinda put that on and they aren't that dramatic, which is the real reason I don't like most gay guys.

o.o

o.o

JPOBS

Smash Hero
IN OTHER NEWS,

I plan on seeing my "love interest" this weekend on Saturday. In terms of our... desires... we haven't gotten very "tame" at all about it. We've been texting every day telling each other things we plan on... "doing" to each other (lol) and just a couple of hours ago she sent me a very, very nice "picture" that I am quite pleased with.

Life is pretty good right now... For the most part. :cool:
I wish yo uthe best of luck. I was in the same situation over the christmas break but things fell through. If you both hype things up too much, you're bound to be disappointed. speaking from my experience anyway.

I was just offended by this whole thread. Hooray :)
You're quite entitled to post your own stories about your love life like everyone else has. Or would you rather just seek attention?

camerino1

Smash Lord
Lol sucks to be you.

You don't really wanna be those guys' friends. I don't. I have like no gay friends irl, but I know/am acquainted with more gay guys than I have friends etc.

In a way, I don't think gays are inherently flamers, I think in a lot of ways some of them at first let themselves do things which are traditionally seen as more effeminate, and because they're gay they can get away with it. Then there's this whole culture thing and eventually it sort of expands and they end up acting totally gay, but really I think they kinda put that on and they aren't that dramatic, which is the real reason I don't like most gay guys.

I agree with this, it sucks that they act this way because they are nice people. Makes me angry knowing that they change themselves to be so steriotypical. One of them played melee and runescape before grade 10 started, and now he would deny ever playing anything like that...

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I have a tight fitting Space Invaders shirt, the best of both worlds. :3

I don't even worry about my interests, after all being a guy, I know that my interests are totally irrelevant to whoever I'm on the prowl for. :D

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Because as much as guys like to think they care about interests and the like, they're not going to turn down a fling with someone they find overwhelmingly physically attractive.

Ergo, no need to worry! <3

camerino1

Smash Lord
...Uhhh, I would rather be in a relationship with someone I thought was a lot like me, rather then cutie from down the street that would only want one night of fun. But i guess I'm a little different like that, but because of what type of person I like it makes things very difficult

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
...Uhhh, I would rather be in a relationship with someone I thought was a lot like me, rather then cutie from down the street that would only want one night of fun. But i guess I'm a little different like that, but because of what type of person I like it makes things very difficult
I'm not saying everyone wants one night stands, I'm saying a guy's not going to turn down an opportunity (if they're single for sure) with someone they find very attractive.

Since I find it pretty much impossible to find someone who shares my interests etc etc, I just settle for the fun part, and it's pretty easy to milk.

Also how is it that everybody on SWF and the internet in general seems to be about good personalities and common interests and are forever alone, whereas everyone else is just like lol take 'em as they come and end up with great relationships?

I call johns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom