• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo series - Crimson Map Pack out now!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd only recommend buying Halo 3 at this point in time if :

- You have a Xbox LIVE gold membership
- You have friends to play the game with (I wouldn't go into Ranked games with randoms because 90% of the time, they suck, they quit or they cheat in some way)
- You are willing to spend an additional $20 fee for the legendary and mythic map pack (the cold storage and heroic map pack are free)

If you just want to play the campaign, I'd recommend just borrowing the game from a friend or renting it. Chances are, you'll finish everything in the campaign (legendary mode, all the skulls, meta game cheevos etc.) in a week. The multiplayer is the only thing making people play this game.

And yes WaW is pretty bad, I played the MP beta and I hated how cheap the tanks were, how you had to reload your gun every 2 seconds because they only have like 20 bullets in each clip...I'll stick with COD4.

And thanks Zero Beat for merging this discussion into this thread! I still prefer Halo 3 over Halo 1 and 2 through.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Forge + Customs + active friends has kept me playing this game almost non stop for the past year and a half, and I find matchmaking is good when you want to play seriously.

CJ671 aka Blank

Smash Cadet
lol matchmaking. the game doesn't require much skill at all. unless you enjoy playing with people named iTz xX MLG 4 shot Xx.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Forge + Customs + active friends has kept me playing this game almost non stop for the past year and a half, and I find matchmaking is good when you want to play seriously.
Matchmaking is only good if you play with friends because randoms are usually bad and make you lose and de-rank. It's pretty much broken Halo 3's matchmaking system IMO.

lol matchmaking. the game doesn't require much skill at all. unless you enjoy playing with people named iTz xX MLG 4 shot Xx.
Or "OMG iZ pR0 420"...I don't know why people put "iTz" in their gamertags, I believe it stands for "In the Zone"? Is it supposed to make you look cool? Don't forget to add numbers as letters and make every other character uppercase!

CJ671 aka Blank

Smash Cadet
PC shooters > console shooters. you cannot match the aim, feel, control, and balance that the keyboard and mouse combination brings to the table.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*Not confirmed by Microsoft and/or Bungie yet*

Microsoft to close Halo 2 servers

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/5134/microsoft-to-close-halo-2-servers
http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=12765
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=35922809

"Microsoft will be shutting down Halo 2's servers on 9/22 to coincide with the release of Halo 3: ODST. In short, this will then open up the definite opportunity to have more than 100 friends on your list. All original Live-enabled titles had this limit coded into them specifically, so I'm assuming that this will officially mark the conclusion of the original Xbox Live service as well."

"In a some-what controversial move, Microsoft has confirmed it will be shutting down the Halo 2 servers upon the release of upcoming title Halo 3: ODST.

According to the software giant, Halo 2 is a major factor contributing to certain changes not being made, for example the 100 friends limit cap. Original Xbox titles have this cap hardcoded into them, and so they're unable to make the changes.

Shutting down the Halo 2 servers will remedy this however, and Microsoft believes that with two Halo shooters available on the 360, gamers will forgive them for it."

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
*Not confirmed by Microsoft and/or Bungie yet*

Microsoft to close Halo 2 servers

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/5134/microsoft-to-close-halo-2-servers
http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=12765
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=35922809

"Microsoft will be shutting down Halo 2's servers on 9/22 to coincide with the release of Halo 3: ODST. In short, this will then open up the definite opportunity to have more than 100 friends on your list. All original Live-enabled titles had this limit coded into them specifically, so I'm assuming that this will officially mark the conclusion of the original Xbox Live service as well."

"In a some-what controversial move, Microsoft has confirmed it will be shutting down the Halo 2 servers upon the release of upcoming title Halo 3: ODST.

According to the software giant, Halo 2 is a major factor contributing to certain changes not being made, for example the 100 friends limit cap. Original Xbox titles have this cap hardcoded into them, and so they're unable to make the changes.

Shutting down the Halo 2 servers will remedy this however, and Microsoft believes that with two Halo shooters available on the 360, gamers will forgive them for it."

I'd wait to hear from Bungie on this one. I mean, it IS their game; I'd imagine they'd give more of a warning for something like that than a one month notice. Like Chromehounds was reported that Sega is shutting down their servers in January. That's a long ways off. While Halo 2 may be limiting your friends list, I see little reason to shut it down if it's still so bloody popular. But that's just me, not that I play Halo 2 anymore.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
cant wait for this game to come out.who got the limited edition?
Not me, I'm planning on purchasing Modern Warfare 2 when it is released and waiting till sometime next year to get ODST when it is reduced in price because it's not a full game.

I don't feel like paying $70 for an expansion pack and for map packs which I already own.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
You're not excited for the campaign or firefight? I'm gonna tear through those like no one's business.
Campaign? No, it's only about 5 hours long and you don't play as the Chief which kinda turns me off. Playing as a UNSC Soldier (nicknamed "The Rookie") that can't dual wield, jumps hurt him and he has no rechargeable shields? Wow.

Firefight? Nah, it's basically the same thing as horde more in Gears 2 but you can't play with randoms. Only private matches. =/

I'm still going to get this game, just not when it comes out this month.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Campaign? No, it's only about 5 hours long and you don't play as the Chief which kinda turns me off. Playing as a UNSC Soldier (nicknamed "The Rookie") that can't dual wield, jumps hurt him and he has no rechargeable shields? Wow.

Firefight? Nah, it's basically the same thing as horde more in Gears 2 but you can't play with randoms. Only private matches. =/

Now, not to sound offensive here, but it sounds like you're not looking for a challenge or something new. :-/

That's what excites me! This is still the Halo universe that I love, and it's going to be so different and a challenge to go through the game without Chief behind you, or being the Chief.

That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Now, not to sound offensive here, but it sounds like you're not looking for a challenge or something new. :-/

That's what excites me! This is still the Halo universe that I love, and it's going to be so different and a challenge to go through the game without Chief behind you, or being the Chief.

That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it.
I'm always open/looking for a challenge or something new. Just not like this. I'd rather just play as the chief. I'm used to playing as him.

I sense that I'll be doing alot of dying when I play this game because the idea of going rambo into a group of convenent troops with guns blazing is still set in my mind. I'd have to get used to going stealth or picking off my targets one by one and taking cover.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
That's because Halo 2 had massive auto-aim. It's a good thing that they decreased it in Halo 3 so it actually takes skill to kill someone.
But Halo 3 also decreased the speed of gameplay, so it's still just as easy to kill with an AR.

It's lame.

Agreed.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I'm always open/looking for a challenge or something new. Just not like this. I'd rather just play as the chief. I'm used to playing as him.

I sense that I'll be doing alot of dying when I play this game because the idea of going rambo into a group of convenent troops with guns blazing is still set in my mind. I'd have to get used to going stealth or picking off my targets one by one and taking cover.
That's half the fun though, isn't it? You have new gameplay, that's gonna force you to play in a different fashion then you're used to. Games need to evolve like that. Otherwise, we're not playing anything new. Not really, anyway. :ohwell:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/voLCnyqW_E0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/voLCnyqW_E0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Whenever I go rambo into a group of covenant troops, I always yell "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!"

On a side note :

Microsoft Starts Banning ODST Pirates, Not Players

http://kotaku.com/5352066/microsoft-starts-banning-odst-pirates-not-players

"Microsoft today began permanently banning gamers they describe as "illegitimate ODST players" from their Xbox Live online service.

Toulouse told Kotaku that he can't go into specifics about how they detect and how many they ban because they don't want to tip off pirates to their methods.

"I can be clear however that this applies to illegitimate copies only, the ban covers the Xbox LIVE account and could possibly include their console depending on the results of our investigations (which are ongoing). We do this from time to time with titles to combat piracy," he wrote to Kotaku. "If a user happens to purchase a legit copy of Halo 3: ODST early, then our problem is not with the user but the retailer who broke the street date. Those individuals will not be punished.""

EDIT : I played 2 games of social BTB with my brother yesterday.

First was slayer on sandtrap. We lost 71-76. I went +21 and all my teammates went -10 and such. One noob on the other team went -6 and called us "noobs". Makes sense. I love having bad teammates. :)

Second match was slayer on avalanche. We ended up tying 99-99. One of my teammates betrayed me for the sniper rifle. He could have asked me to drop it for him and I would have but that would make sense! And I didn't get the 'boot player' option and I bet that if I betrayed him back, he would have gotten the option to boot me. The other team in the pre-game lobby called us a bunch of ***s and came to the conclusion that we were "gay".

Man, I "love" the Halo 3 online community. It's the best. :D

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
EDIT : I played 2 games of social BTB with my brother yesterday.

First was slayer on sandtrap. We lost 71-76. I went +21 and all my teammates went -10 and such. One noob on the other team went -6 and called us "noobs". Makes sense. I love having bad teammates. :)

Second match was slayer on avalanche. We ended up tying 99-99. One of my teammates betrayed me for the sniper rifle. He could have asked me to drop it for him and I would have but that would make sense! And I didn't get the 'boot player' option and I bet that if I betrayed him back, he would have gotten the option to boot me. The other team in the pre-game lobby called us a bunch of ***s and came to the conclusion that we were "gay".

Man, I "love" the Halo 3 online community. It's the best. :D
:( Things like that make me so happy that you can't 'talk' to each other on Nintendo Wi-Fi.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
:( Things like that make me so happy that you can't 'talk' to each other on Nintendo Wi-Fi.
Yes, you are spared from all of this garbage and filth. Best of all, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is free, unlike LIVE where you basically pay to hear your daily dosage of racism, homophobia, sexism and 12 year old kids who have high pitched voices and swear a lot because their parents aren't within ear shot. I'm thankful that Microsoft introduced the 'party system' because whenever I play a game online, 99.9% of the time I'm in a party talking with my friends so I don't have to hear this crap.

Also some new Halo 3: ODST news :

Halo 3: ODST Soundtrack Drops Next Week

http://kotaku.com/5358904/halo-3-odst-soundtrack-drops-next-week

"Halo 3: ODST hits store shelves next week, and Sumthing Else Music Works is making sure you can listen to it when you can't play with the release of the Halo 3: ODST Original Soundtrack.

The latest chapter in the Halo saga brings with it new music composed by Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, and Sumthing Else is ready, with a 2-disc soundtrack for the game released into the wild on September 22nd to coincide with the release of the game. According to O'Donnell, the ODST soundtrack reflects the new direction the series is taking in the game."

"The 2-disco Halo 3: ODST soundtrack will also be available at www.sumthingdigital.com and iTunes come September 22nd."

EDIT 2 : 2 of the 10 Firefight mode maps will be the same. (day and night with a few minor changes)

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/15/hands-on-halo-3-odst-firefight-mode/

"In all, Firefight contains ten maps (two are featured twice as night and day versions with slightly varied ingredients), and three of the ten are unlocked through campaign progression; though anyone can play on a locked map, so long as the match host has unlocked it."

Bungie fails again. Filler maps.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*BUMP*

Halo 3: ODST Gets A 360 Bundle

http://kotaku.com/5360626/halo-3-odst-gets-a-360-bundle

"It contains a 120GB Xbox 360 Elite, controller (curiously, not an ODST controller), a copy of Halo 3: ODST, a copy of Halo 3 and access to the Halo: Reach beta.

It's due later this month, and so far, has only been announced for PAL territories, with prices ranging from €280 in continental Europe (USD$410) to 4,228 Rand in South Africa (USD$574)."

Has anyone actually played ODST yet?

I only had the chance to play Firefight for like an hour or so. It's pretty interesting, but it isn't great IMO. I played in Normal by the way.

Highlight if you want Firefight spoilers.

Thing is, they give you 6 lives, and 1 partner. You SHARE those 6 lives with your partner. And since it's ONLY 6 lives, you're forced to play ultra-defensive. That means camping at your base, where none of the enemies spawn. You're gonna be there for a while, since they drop a lot of enemies, and even if you peak out, chances are you're getting hit from all directions. Also, Hunters never die. I swear.

I love playing Rambo in Halo. I know it isn't the most efficient way of killing, but it's certainly entertaining, and where all the fun is at in groups. Playing ultra defensive because of lives is just not fun. I would prefer the respawning system in Halo 3 campaign a million times over lives. Especially SHARED lives.

Other than that, the game looks great, and all the minor changes make everything look better.

Also, Citadel sucks.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Ok, the thing about the Rookie not able to dual wield, double jump, or have shields is a huuuuuge fail...but a challenge :).

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Xbox 360 IGN just rated this game/expansion pack yesterday. They gave it a 9.0 (which is still way too high for this game IMO)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1025307p1.html

@Yonder: You're basically downgrading your character which is EXACTLY what I wanted to do! The next thing they should do is make you play as a civilian who can't shoot anything and can't move and the only thing they can do is stand still and get their ***** handed to them by enemies.

It sucks how the fanbase of this game are sheep. They buy anything!

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Yeah I hate how this game is roughly seven hours long and they still charge $60 for it. But GTA IV:TLAD expansion was seven hours and it was only $20. If you buy this for $60 you are getting ripped off.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I hate how this game is roughly seven hours long and they still charge $60 for it. But GTA IV:TLAD expansion was seven hours and it was only $20. If you buy this for $60 you are getting ripped off.
They feel that they've justified their full retail price because the game contains a lot of "new content". (which is obviously a lie)

If every game company charged full retail price for expansion packs, then Fallout 3 would be very, very expensive.

Also, yes you are getting ripped off and you're an idiot as well.

Top Bottom