• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo series - Crimson Map Pack out now!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I remember that...

Why has there never been made a Water Temple map? You know, people running around, nobody has a clue where to go, one is lying in the fetalposition in a corner, somebody is crying, one is checking walkthroughs, one slams his controller on the floor and vows to never play this again, one gets his dad to help him and one is a sniper?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
That update really sucked! Why do they keep messing with us:(?

This picture was pretty cool though, looks like Groudon.(sp?)

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Groudon is a pokemon. That statue or whatever that is looks a lot like him. If it's a future boss battle, it'd probably involve the Banshees:-p.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
The inquisition has deemed you a heretic and has orbitally bombarded your planet and blew up your spaceship along with your crew, luckily you managed to deep strike onto the planet. O sorry wrong game.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It's gonna suck next month when most of the playlists require the mythic map pack. Oh well, I don't play Halo 3 that often anymore anyways. I can just wait till this fall when ODST is released.

COD4 will keep me happy. :)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'll head back into matchmaking when the maps are required. I'm sick of having my maps and only being able to play them in the Mythic playlist. Pony up $10, cheapos.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'll head back into matchmaking when the maps are required. I'm sick of having my maps and only being able to play them in the Mythic playlist. Pony up $10, cheapos.
I'm patient unlike other people who just have to play most matchmaking playlists in Halo 3! I really don't feel like giving Bungie anymore of my money just to play their matchmaking playlists. Why can't they take a note from IW with COD4? Just leave the mythic playlist alone and don't make the other playlists "mythic required". I'm really not fond of the idea of them forcing me to give them money just to play their game. And I can easily afford $10 but it's the principle!

Oh and that whole beta rendering video thing is out. Too bad my Bungie Pro (which I barely used when I bought the legendary map pack) ran out a while ago and I heard something about them introducing "Bungie points" or something of that nature?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*Bump*

Latest Bungie update : http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_052909

Oh and today at Microsoft's conference, they announced that Halo 3 : ODST will enable you to play the multiplayer beta for another Halo game, Halo : Reach.

Btw, Bungie's **** move.

http://kotaku.com/5274549/halo-3-odst-priced-like-a-full-game-loaded-with-content

Bungie said that Halo 3 : ODST will not be the regular $70 new game Xbox 360 game price because it's a spin off/expansion but today that's all changed.

"Halo 3 ODST may be a spin-off, but Microsoft wagers that enough content will be packed into the game's box to warrant a $59.99 price tag.

In addition, Microsoft will sell a $99 Collectors Edition of Halo 3 ODST that ships with the above elements and an exclusive ODST Xbox 360 controller."

Halo 3 : ODST and Halo : Reach info : http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Halo3ODSTE3

Bungie Studios has suggested that Halo 3 ODST won't be as long as Halo 3. So why will it run the cost of a full game?"

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Firefight mode is going to be incredible. The trailer from Microsoft's conference for this game had me ooing and awing the entire time, the most being right at the beginning when they're jumping down into Earth's atmosphere.

And Tricia Helfer as Dare, the Recon helmet touting member of the squad? Hell yeah.

I was looking forward to a lower than normal price point, but like nearly every person on the planet, the hike to $60 won't change my position on buying on the game.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Firefight mode is going to be incredible. The trailer from Microsoft's conference for this game had me ooing and awing the entire time, the most being right at the beginning when they're jumping down into Earth's atmosphere.

And Tricia Helfer as Dare, the Recon helmet touting member of the squad? Hell yeah.

I was looking forward to a lower than normal price point, but like nearly every person on the planet, the hike to $60 won't change my position on buying on the game.
Keep in mind, I'm only just starting Season 3, but I find it ironic she's on the losing side now. ;)

Say nothing in regards to BSG. T_T

In short, my excitement for this game has exceeded my original expectations. And Halo: Reach has me excited something fierce.

Sp133n

Smash Rookie
Halo- Convince Me

I have long been Anti-Halo, and I get ragged on because of it, but it's not that I think Halo is a bad game, it's just average, there isn't anything to make it stand out from other shooters out there. Space marine's with generic blaster weapons shooting at each other. And vehicles. There's nothing STELLAR. Now, mayeb I'm wrong, but that's what I want to know. Why is Halo stellar? What shine's about it? What makes it A+?

It's Halo. Convince me.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Get Call of Duty 4. You'll be more happy with that game. I have Halo 3 for my 360 but I really play it anymore because of the constant bad updates. (playlists, maps etc.)

Sp133n

Smash Rookie
I know, that's my point. COD4, COD5, blow it out of the water, and everything else either ties or beats it. I just want to hear what (if any) points Halo an boys actually have, so I can say Halo sucks and confirm no one can argue and that it's all popularity, hype, and a good ad campaign.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well whether you would like to accept the fact or not, Halo 3 is quite simply the pinnacle of competitive online shooters. If you want proof of this then just look at MLG.

I won't go into specifics, but imo it's the tight controls, balanced maps, fairly balanced weapons, and common "easy to learn, but difficult to master" type of game that stands out above the rest in terms of online competition. The game also has a strong teamwork element to it, which a lot of shooters lack unfortunately.

The campaign mode sucks though. I'll be the first one to admit that. :)

EDIT: Changed the to to. <_<

POKE40

Smash Lord
Well whether you would like the accept the fact or not, Halo 3 is quite simply the pinnacle of competitive online shooters. If you want proof of this then just look at MLG.

I won't go into specifics, but imo it's the tight controls, balanced maps, fairly balanced weapons, and common "easy to learn, but difficult to master" type of game that stands out above the rest in terms of online competition. The game also has a strong teamwork element to it, which a lot of shooters lack unfortunately.

^^^What he said.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Well whether you would like the accept the fact or not, Halo 3 is quite simply the pinnacle of competitive online shooters. If you want proof of this then just look at MLG.

I hate to break it to you but Halo 3 does not have balanced maps and "fairly" balanced weapons. The campaign is really boring and repetitive, I only played it several times to get all the campaign related cheevos. COD4's campaign was pretty darn good if you ask me and the MP is top notch. You also don't have to be limited to certain playlists because you don't feel like paying for map packs.

I don't hate Halo 3, it's a decent game.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I hate to break it to you but Halo 3 does not have balanced maps and "fairly" balanced weapons. The campaign is really boring and repetitive, I only played it several times to get all the campaign related cheevos. COD4's campaign was pretty darn good if you ask me and the MP is top notch. You also don't have to be limited to certain playlists because you don't feel like paying for map packs.

I don't hate Halo 3, it's a decent game.
No i agree 100% the campaign mode was over hyped to say the least. But I disagree on the weapon balance part because every person who is playing has the same access to the same weapons as everyone else, but you just have to beat them to it. Whereas in CoD4, if you have hardly any experience with a sniper and you are just running around the map looking for kills, you are most likely going to get owned by any decent person who has an assault rifle.

On the map issue, Halo 3 does indeed have good, balanced maps. A few examples are The Pit, Guardian, and Construct. The game does have its fair share of bad maps, but just like in SSBB, the MLG players will only want to play the balanced ones.

Downloading maps to play exclusive playlists is indeed a problem tbh.

CJ671 aka Blank

Smash Cadet
halo3 is follows a pattern that smash did. it's just like smash. smash64 was great, melee was awesome, and brawl was average. halo was great, halo2 was awesome, and halo3 was average.

Lily

Smash Cadet
I have long been Anti-Halo, and I get ragged on because of it, but it's not that I think Halo is a bad game, it's just average, there isn't anything to make it stand out from other shooters out there. Space marine's with generic blaster weapons shooting at each other. And vehicles. There's nothing STELLAR. Now, mayeb I'm wrong, but that's what I want to know. Why is Halo stellar? What shine's about it? What makes it A+?

It's Halo. Convince me.
First off, I must tell you where I stand on this topic and why I am allowed to say this. I'm an avid Halo fan. I've been playing Halo since the day it came out. I've competed at 17 Major League Gaming events spanned across the country for all 3 games over the past 5 years, and numerous other tournaments. I know this game inside and out. (except for Halo 3, and I will tell you why :|)

Halo 1 > Halo 2 > Halo 3

Halo 1 was just an amazing game. The single player was extraordinary and the multiplayer made it magnificent. It's fast pace FPS thrilled gamers' hearts near and far. When it came out, there was nothing like it on console. It was the Quake III multiplayer of console games. The LAN mode was something we had never seen before! The graphics of it's day were phenomenal. There's really nothing better than getting a bunch of friends together, hooking up 4 ORIGINAL XBOX's and playing death match against each other until the crack of dawn. The pistol is the game is amazing! Oh man, I miss Halo 1.

Halo 2 was not as good as Halo 1, but what it did have over it was the XBOX LIVE enabled feature instead of bumming games off of XBOX connect like in Halo 1. The campaign in Halo 2 was good, but not amazing. "Close.. but no cigar." Fans were introduced to favorite maps revamped, and new maps altogether. We were also introduced to the BATTLE RIFLE. This is what makes this game awesome. The Battle Rifle creates an even playing ground to where all players need to master the skill of it in order to win the game. What Halo 2 really has over Halo 3 is the fact that it is ultimately a great competitive FPS. The game is well designed for LAN play and gaming tournaments such as MLG.

Halo 3 has amazingly realistic graphics. The forge feature is very cool and fun to use! Halo 3 is definitely "noobie" friendly. There is no skill required to play this game. It's basically whoever starts shooting first wins the fight. The plot in the campaign just falls through. It really sucked, honestly. Co-op online campaign mode is a very nice feature! I really wish I could pull out the good parts of all 3 Halo games and make a Halo+, haha. Honestly, I think Bungie really rushed to get Halo 3 out on the shelves. It just felt like to me that they didn't take their time. It was a huge disappointment. Any hardcore competitive Halo fan will tell you the same thing.

Sp133n

Smash Rookie
Okay, thanks all, this is what I needed =] Good points all =]
Now, warning, this is what I do, I'm going to twist everyting you said in the most jaded way possible :p :
So Halo 1 was best, like ssb to ssbm to ssbb right? Finally, friends can competive game on a shooter! Emphasis on the "finally". Besides (Which I've never really cared about), there was nothing setting it apart, it was just, there was no shooter friends could play each other on, and have a good game, and halo was a mediocre game that filled a niche and made it popular and therefore it was assumed/assimilated into culture that it's good. It didnt, and hasn't had any standout features, it's not a great game, it's a game that does its job when there wasnt nother in that niche. So yes, it changed the shooter industry, I'll give it that. But that didn't make it a great, A+ game. Which everything in the series is proclaimed as. It's mediocre, and now there are others to fill it's niche. It displays no innnovative, strandout, new, or creative features. And a game certainly can't be "A+" with just multiplayer. Halo campaign, as you guys admitted, doesn't even register. It's standard space marine shooter. So I wish the hype would end.

Halo should go down in history as an industry changer, but not as a really great game, and certainly not soemthing for Xbox fans to brag about during console wars. Agreed?

p.s. yes, the COD online weapons system is braindead, I'll give you that.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Halo 1 is A material. Not quite A+ seeing on how it aged.

Why? It was a great sci-fi shooter. Great mechanics and a fun to play single player mode (Some bad level design tho -Oh god the ****ing library- but that's one of its only flaws) and solid (and funs as heck) multiplayer.

It just didn't age so well, seeing now that everything it does could be emulated relatively easily by so random modders and the community isn't there anymore.

The other two just fall short of the first in its prime.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I'll be merging this with the Halo 3 thread before someone gets warned! :mad:[Since it's sparked some discussion]

Halo 1: A(My favorite of the 3)
Halo 2: A+(the plus sign for xbox live)
Halo 3: -B. Slow, sluggish, and what they're doing with the updates is indeed crap.

I'll be honest with you, if you're looking for a skill-based game, Halo >Call of duty. If you're looking for a presently amazing time on xbox live: Cod4/WAW>Halo 3.

If anyone actually challenges what I said, I'll explain, otherwise, it should be self explanatory. :)

Top Bottom