• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hacked Brawl Preview Combo Video Megasauce

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
Amazing. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when Falcon was pulling off Melee combos. Can't wait for the real thing.

paulleh

Smash Apprentice
thats uber awesome.. but i hope this doesn't become widely supported because I don't want brawl to become like melee.
Anyways... those hax are sexy =

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
inb4Brawl+Tierlist

But in all seriousness. That was pretty cool. I dont want to learn Brawl+ nor do I have an interest in it, but Ill watch it anyways. That's what smashers do.

Keep it up man. Focus on combos!

5ive

Smash Champion
thats uber awesome.. but i hope this doesn't become widely supported because I don't want brawl to become like melee.
Anyways... those hax are sexy =
We aren't trying to make Brawl into Melee.
We are tying to make Brawl into a better competitive game in it's entirety. Even if we add all these things, the Game Physics are different, therefore making it unique.

Also, I see your from Ontario?
Are you from Toronto?

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
That was a good combo video, I've also been experimenting around with hacked Brawl. I hope the final video doesn't have CPUS in it though.

Enjoyable video and song.

Denzi

Smash Master
But in all seriousness. That was pretty cool. I dont want to learn Brawl+ nor do I have an interest in it, but Ill watch it anyways. That's what smashers do.
This pretty much sums up my feelings.
It was crazy awesome though.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I hate the name Brawl +

I shall continue to call it Melee 2.0

Anywhoooo...Can't wait for the final product
Brawl+ makes more since IMO. It's not trying to turn Brawl into Meler. Just add depth through hitstun and Lag-canceling (Shield or normal), Melee airdodge is constantly debated (although Wavedash does give more options).

5ive

Smash Champion
Brawl+ makes more since IMO. It's not trying to turn Brawl into Meler. Just add depth through hitstun and Lag-canceling (Shield or normal), Melee airdodge is constantly debated (although Wavedash does give more options).
They think Wavedash makes everyone unbalanced because it makes slow characters fast <_<

Blasphemy.

Veggi

Smash Champion
It looks like I'm the only one who didn't think one minute of what we've already been doing done poorly was good and then thinking it's awesome because the opponent couldn't do anything about it. No prediction, less punishment for using laggy moves, and the task of pressing a button every time you land in order to be good.

Vv2

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty much exactly turning brawl into melee....your taking effects that were prominent in melee and adding them to brawl...the fact that people are debating adding melee air dodge proves this...the reason these things were changed is because combos are gay...look at the old street fighter games there was no combos and people still play them today...compared to say the new soul caliber which is already dieing in popularity

I think you'll find the reason more people play brawl is because of the lack of those things...combos create gaps between players which is what i pretty much i assume is your goal...the fact that everything can be stopped in brawl is amazing...i would rather the hack took away current combos then added new ones theres a reason things like chain grabs are banned is some tournaments because there gay...both to play and to watch....i don't even like to be the one doing the chain grabbing feels less like playing a game more like work 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3....as your opponent goes takes a piss comes back and your still 1,2,3,1,2,3 it takes more skill to actually play then to memorize a sequence of buttons to press go play DDR or Rockband hell the dance academy in Zelda if you like pressing sequential buttons. I am happy these things aren't in brawl

metaXzero

Smash Champion
It's pretty much exactly turning brawl into melee....your taking effects that were prominent in melee and adding them to brawl...the fact that people are debating adding melee air dodge proves this...the reason these things were changed is because combos are gay...look at the old street fighter games there was no combos and people still play them today...compared to say the new soul caliber which is already dieing in popularity

I think you'll find the reason more people play brawl is because of the lack of those things...combos create gaps between players which is what i pretty much i assume is your goal...the fact that everything can be stopped in brawl is amazing...i would rather the hack took away current combos then added new ones theres a reason things like chain grabs are banned is some tournaments because there gay...both to play and to watch....i don't even like to be the one doing the chain grabbing feels less like playing a game more like work 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3....as your opponent goes takes a piss comes back and your still 1,2,3,1,2,3 it takes more skill to actually play then to memorize a sequence of buttons to press go play DDR or Rockband hell the dance academy in Zelda if you like pressing sequential buttons. I am happy these things aren't in brawl
Wow! Just wow! This post....

You are basically saying you would actually want Brawl to be even MORE shallow. A game that devoids to poking or camping. Where opponents poke each other for several minutes or spam projectiles since approaching is pointless. Brawl itself is close to that, but your ideal game.......

All I'm going to say is you don't know jack-**** about what makes a good fighter.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I like that video. Something good to watch from Brawl! MORE!

O_O;...

Wow! Just wow! This post....
^Sums my thoughts. Does that person want a party game, hate fighter games, or is terribly misguided?

I feel like ripping Vv2's post apart. That post criticized probably one of the only things SSBB has good in it (hacks) and ruined my day.

Now...

Vv2 said:
It's pretty much exactly turning brawl into melee....your taking effects that were prominent in melee and adding them to brawl...the fact that people are debating adding melee air dodge proves this...
Is there anything wrong with that? People are just trying to improve SSBB into a better game. You really do not suggest keeping useless things such as tripping in there? Likewise, the game engine degrades SSBB into a joke.

Vv2 said:
the reason these things were changed is because combos are gay...look at the old street fighter games there was no combos and people still play them today...compared to say the new soul caliber which is already dieing in popularity
Combos make a fighting game! In a fighting game, there are two important states: neutral, which consists of spacing, poking, feints, mindgames, etc.. The goal of that is to enter the punishment state, where one side doles out punishment for making a mistake while the other side tries to revert into neutral tryin. Combos make punishing more effective and entertaining.

The good fighting game properly balances the two states. The good fighting game can properly measure skill. SSBM is a wonderful example for an innovative and excellent (albeit accidentally) fighting game.

SSBB lacks the punishment state. The game is essentially kept in the neutral state, so nobody cares if someone makes a mistake. Just take about 10-20% damage and start again. Not only that, the game gives the defender too many options.

The best situation is to now camp (the past, present, and future of SSBB unless a competitor is Meta Knight). Both sides are now attempting to be the better Boy Scout, if you will. Camping does not really tell much for measuring skill. It is only good for getting a camping badge.

I know little about Soul Calibur. My guess from your description is that it is dying from a split community. Some wanted to move on to the next game in the series, when the previous game was probably better. Our community faces a similar peril.

SF is a popular fighting game because contrary to what you said, the game has combos and a good balance of neutral and punishment states. If it had no combos, nobody would probably play it.

Vv2 said:
I think you'll find the reason more people play brawl is because of the lack of those things...
No, people play SSBB because it is the new toy. Of course, casuals probably find it a better game; however, our community is only concerned on the competitive side.

The competitive community prefers SSBM.

Vv2 said:
combos create gaps between players which is what i pretty much i assume is your goal...
Combos make a better fighting game, and a better fighting game creates a better ruling stick of skill with a more competitive community. I want the efforts I put into something to show in my play.

Vv2 said:
the fact that everything can be stopped in brawl is amazing
It probably took a lot of effort to kill the competitive potential. The developers did an amazing job with that.

Vv2 said:
...i would rather the hack took away current combos then added new ones theres a reason things like chain grabs are banned is some tournaments because there gay...both to play and to watch....
Taking combos away makes SSBB an even worse game.

Which major tournament banned chaingrabbing? They ban infinites. The only things banned are what give characters such a significant advantage that the game devolves. King Dedede's chaingrabbings are annoying; however, they do not warrant a ban. When it becomes an infinite, it is stopped after a certain amount of repetition.

Vv2 said:
i don't even like to be the one doing the chain grabbing feels less like playing a game more like work 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3....as your opponent goes takes a piss comes back and your still 1,2,3,1,2,3 it takes more skill to actually play then to memorize a sequence of buttons to press go play DDR or Rockband hell the dance academy in Zelda if you like pressing sequential buttons. I am happy these things aren't in brawl
What series are you talking about? SF? Each situation is different becauses the opponent usually has several methods of escaping (like DI, air-dodge, techs...), so the punisher must alter his input and pay attention to what the foe is doing. The kind of punishment is the same, but the execution will have to vary (although, I admit King Dedede's chaingrabbing is simple). Chaingrabbing is probably the most limited situation; it is still an effective and proper punisher after the neutral state ends and the defender still can try to escape with DI.

Vv2

Smash Apprentice
The developers did an amazing job

/agree they did so don't change things
I want the efforts I put into something to show in my play.
Go play WoW then...

I know little about Soul Calibur. My guess from your description is that it is dying from a split community. Some wanted to move on to the next game in the series, when the previous game was probably better. Our community faces a similar peril.
No its dieing because you get ground locked and instantly lose...

chaingrabbings are annoying
ORLY!?

it is stopped after a certain amount of repetition.
I <3 repetition in games 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 look at my skill....Yay.

Cinder

Smash Master
Wow...just...wow...it looks like SOMEONE doesn't know jack-**** about competitive gaming...seriously, shut up and get out...don't make yourself look any worse than you already are...

TK, you sir, win...*high fives*

I'm in the mood to tear a post apart...and I'll do it with one simple statement...

Combos aren't just 1,2,3,1,2,3...factor in techchasing, DI, etc....combos actually require skill...it's not like any ****** can pick up a controller and do the Ken combo or some Scar ****...and yes, combos show a skill gap...but being rewarded for your skill is a GOOD thing...

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Wow...just...wow...it looks like SOMEONE doesn't know jack-**** about competitive gaming...seriously, shut up and get out...don't make yourself look any worse than you already are...

TK, you sir, win...*high fives*

I'm in the mood to tear a post apart...and I'll do it with one simple statement...

Combos aren't just 1,2,3,1,2,3...factor in techchasing, DI, etc....combos actually require skill...it's not like any ****** can pick up a controller and do the Ken combo or some Scar ****...and yes, combos show a skill gap...but being rewarded for your skill is a GOOD thing...
This.
And if put enough time into learning combo's, if you get 0% to death comboed, come back and do the same!
Being rewarded for your skill, welcome to the world of fighting games.
There is a couple exceptions, like in Soul Cal, you can just spam and win, but those who know combo's will do better in the long run anyways.

Vv2

Smash Apprentice
This.
And if put enough time into learning combo's, if you get 0% to death comboed, come back and do the same!
So its less of a game more of who gets first attack off? Lets ALL main IC's and memorize the chain grab it will mean were really good

Being rewarded for your skill
I don't think you know what skill is... what your referring to is memorization...you spent a lot of time memorizing how to do a combo so you should be rewarded for your ability to do a repeatable task...once again Go Farm Gold In WoW

Combos exist in most fighters because they have parry blocking and countering/reversals which can be done at anytime even after being hit...SSBB does not have this because of things like hitstun

Mortal kombat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXt4dP4evg for example

tekken http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LLZaA4fdQ&feature=related

I ll show you a comparison you tell me which player has more "skill"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64NumEBZhFQ

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
So its less of a game more of who gets first attack off? Lets ALL main IC's and memorize the chain grab it will mean were really good

I don't think you know what skill is... what your referring to is memorization...you spent a lot of time memorizing how to do a combo so you should be rewarded for your ability to do a repeatable task...once again Go Farm Gold In WoW

Combos exist in most fighters because they have parry blocking and countering/reversals which can be done at anytime even after being hit...SSBB does not have this because of things like hitstun

No, it's not more of a who gets the first attack off.
Melee has combo's, because of hit stun, Brawl does not, you can just string attacks together into what seems like a combo, but it's escapable.
I won't deny that Tekken has combo's, but that is more of a who gets the first hit, whoever gets the first pop up, there goes a health bar with a juggle.

Boxob

Smash Champion

Don't be such a scrub. Memorizing combo's takes skill, you're telling me it takes more skill to simply do two button inputs all the time? How about reading DI in the middle of a combo, split second desicions that can only be made if you have experience and skill in the game, skill-less? Bull ****.

:093:

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Don't be such a scrub. Memorizing combo's takes skill, you're telling me it takes more skill to simply do two button inputs all the time? How about reading DI in the middle of a combo, split second desicions that can only be made if you have experience and skill in the game, skill-less? Bull ****.

:093:
**** straight.
Reading DI is what takes the most skill, along with memorizing combo's, advanced tech, etc.
Predicting where your opponent will tech is also a deciding factor if your combo's work.

Top Bottom