• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

H2YL Presents: Critical Hit 4 - Sykesville, MD - Set 6-7, 08 - Guaranteed $5000 Pot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
When people don't know how to spell basic words, I feel bad.
Shoutouts later.
I mean I don't even know who you are............. so I don't really care lol

I post the results from the bracket that I copied to my computer and it's very small, so it's hard to see the names

5: KingAce
7: Ambrose
9: Percon
17: JL

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Canada ftw. And this was with horrible seeding...JL probably would have done a lot better. Nonetheless, you guys kicked some major ***. Great job!

Also, team results?
yeah I took JL out of Loser's
his wario was pretty **** good though

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I doubt that Meep, DSF/Futile have locks on #1/#2 just like M2K/Azen have locks on #1/#2 here. The money isn't at 3rd place or lower, you know this as much as I do.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
This Is Some Chicago Bull****

**** they draw ppl to come to a tournament witha " GUARANTEED POT" then when alot of ppl dont go they start to get amenisa when it is time to give up the money. I tell you one thing if it was me over there it would have been the 1st time i would have picked up dk metaphorically speaking, cause i would have went ape **** being promised something and when getting there didnt get whati was promised knowing i had to playing a hard battle against ike and i dont mean smash to get to the tournament.

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
well he gotta come down and prove that he's worth something
believe me, we all said the same thing and made fun of the guy because he plays online and that online is lagy and real life is different and all this bull****., but when he came to the tournament he proved everyone wrong he beat everyone in the tournament and the top toronto players. more over he did all that with only losing one match in the whole tourney.

echos

Smash Journeyman
i had a good time regardless of the turnout, everyone that came was mad good so good **** everyone that came

meepxzero

Smash Master
I doubt that Meep, DSF/Futile have locks on #1/#2 just like M2K/Azen have locks on #1/#2 here. The money isn't at 3rd place or lower, you know this as much as I do.
wow did u just really compare m2k/azen to futile/dsf? :laugh:

we also have chillin and forte who get 1st place here a couple times as well and im sure the money for 3rd isnt bad with an attendance of 300.

To conclude my statement its more intimidating for scrubs to play here than west coast.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Falco does beat DDD, when chillin played seibriks falco the first game came down to last stock 140% to the other guy at 170%. Chillin up smashed seibrik at 140 and seibrik barely lived, and seibrik got a down smash at 170. Seibrik also played really well, and got one or two forward smashes off on chillins recovery, and chillin didn't go for any double spikes.

chillin won the 2nd match, i think 1 stock mid %

chillin was about to win the 3rd match, but seibrik did the suck up move near the ledge, chillin air dodged over him, and died at 40%, when seibrik was at 130%

seibrik was gonna beat azens lucario, but he lost cuz of an SD, then azens peach won a close game the next match

azen beat me 3-2 altho we agreed to split before hand, so i tried my other characters on him but he was playing too perfect for me. He never dies, ever, it is impossible to kill him if he's playing good. MK vs Lucario was 1-1, he beat my snake, i beat him in MK ditto, and he ***** my ddd w/ mk. Me and Azen didn't play a grand finals after I beat Seibrik 3-0 in MK vs DDD, even though I wanted to =[

me and azen won teams with no splitting, so it was legit. I made a really good 2 on 1 comeback against chu forte one of the matches, i was playing really well. I'm glad we didn't have to fight Chillin/Neo's team, so good **** forte/chu for beating them.

if i split singles with azen top 2 i was supposed to make 900 dollars, then 600 each from teams, so i would have had 1500 dollars. But since all the scrubs didn't show because of the storm, I got like a little over 300. Like I'm glad I won and stuff but, it's pretty disappointing to get almost 5 times less just cuz of a storm. I know that's no one's fault though so w/e, but it's still pretty disappointing.

edit - futile might beat me if he fights me, im pretty bad vs wario, but I know I'm a better brawl player than him regardless. after I ***** plank in MK ditto, his wario beat me the 2nd game, that's proof enough that I suck at the matchup. Stupid Jigglypuff like character.

edit 2 - I saved some of my matches on some random wiis (random matches that were under 3 minutes), if you think you might have one of mine then please send me a PM. Thanks.

Wife

Smash Lord
Man, finding M2K's match on your Wii is like finding an easter egg on your DVD.

Beta9001

Smash Apprentice
I got owned. =(

Again.

I beat some people in friendlies though....

I learned how to boost grab/smash too.

pockyD

Smash Legend
wow there should have been nearly 3000 for the pot?

that means I should have made a little under 900 dollars instead of just over 300. That's over 500 of a difference. Pot. *****.
no, there should have been $5000 in the pot

when a store "guarantees" a payout, they are accepting the risk of a low turnout (in which case they would take a loss) as opposed to the potential gain of a huge turnout (in which case they make a big profit because they might only have to pay out 30-40% of their income)

the fact that they didn't honor their guarantee is straight up awful; what the actual pot ended up being is irrelevant

g-regulate

Smash Hero
the skinny

the hurricane didnt have much to do with the small turnout, most people already expressed their disinterest in coming long ago, after once showing interest. groups like VA beach, NC, a lot of NY and the entire Northeast, not to mention a good portion of local players didnt show up either. i think most of that had to do with the entry fee, along with other things that may have held them back from coming. if say, 100 people had come like it was looking, than the $5000 wouldve been paid out easily. unfortunately that couldnt happen, i was upset too because i placed, the only people who should be complaining are the people that placed.

but it has to be looked at another way. this is a gaming center in a strip mall, owned by one guy running his own business. the feedback that was originally received for this tourney warranted a 100 person turnout, especially based on CH3. the guy rented out the store next door, there had to have been at least 20 setups with 4 chairs each. that cost $1000. i know it says "Guaranteed", but even with the $65 entry fee, he'd make just under $4000, plus having to pay the $1000 for the venue, doing the full payout would've put the old mans business in the hole $2000. a guarantee is a guarantee, but im not gonna wipe out some guys business because everyone hyped up a huge tournament and then half of those people didnt even enter. the entry fee was dropped to $45, i got $60 for 4th, dunny what everyone else recieved, once again though, the only people who should be complaining are the placers, especially the Snakekiller3000 and the Canada guys, who im sure were banking on the payouts.

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
results once again... ppl D:

1: Azen
2: M2k
3: Seibrik
4: G-reg
5: Chillin
5: KingAce
7: Ninjalink
7: Ambrose
9: Forte
9: Percon
9: Plank
9: Snakeeee
13: Korn
13: Atomsk
13: Neo
13: Chu
17: JL
17: Boss
17: Biglue
17: Slikvik
17: Inui
17: black walts
17: Thumbswayup
17: Chibosempai
25: Kirbstir
25: Crismas
25: Valor
25: Yoster
25: Niko K
25: JCeasar
25: GodismyRock
25: FOB

just wait for full results..

pockyD

Smash Legend
the hurricane didnt have much to do with the small turnout, most people already expressed their disinterest in coming long ago, after once showing interest. groups like VA beach, NC, a lot of NY and the entire Northeast, not to mention a good portion of local players didnt show up either. i think most of that had to do with the entry fee, along with other things that may have held them back from coming. if say, 100 people had come like it was looking, than the $5000 wouldve been paid out easily. unfortunately that couldnt happen, i was upset too because i placed, the only people who should be complaining are the people that placed.

but it has to be looked at another way. this is a gaming center in a strip mall, owned by one guy running his own business. the feedback that was originally received for this tourney warranted a 100 person turnout, especially based on CH3. the guy rented out the store next door, there had to have been at least 20 setups with 4 chairs each. that cost $1000. i know it says "Guaranteed", but even with the $65 entry fee, he'd make just under $4000, plus having to pay the $1000 for the venue, doing the full payout would've put the old mans business in the hole $2000. a guarantee is a guarantee, but im not gonna wipe out some guys business because everyone hyped up a huge tournament and then half of those people didnt even enter. the entry fee was dropped to $45, i got $60 for 4th, dunny what everyone else recieved, once again though, the only people who should be complaining are the placers, especially the Snakekiller3000 and the Canada guys, who im sure were banking on the payouts.
this is ridiculous though; people who make bad business decisions like guaranteeing money they don't have should be punished for doing so rather than just being let of the hook. If i take out a $100,000 loan and can't pay it back, the bank surely doesn't just go "oh well" - they take my stuff

If the guy is out there screwing people financially, he doesn't deserve to own a business to begin with

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Doesn't matter. I'm sure you haven't shown up to a political speech this year, but still have an opinion on the running men.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i mean i can understand not doing the $5000 payouts, but the payouts were terrible. they were barely even $1000. Im happy that the entrance was moved down to $45, but this means that there should have been guaranteed payouts of like $3400 if you take the ratio 45/65 = x/5000
it is a shame that it was small, and i wouldnt want the ol man to go broke. it was obvious ppl werent feeling the tourney from the beginning. everyone come to cot4 when i announce it :). itl be 2 day guaranteed, with a decent entrance (like 40? or 45?)

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised M2K still placed top 3 without having a Wii to practice on. If that was me, I would have been rusty as hell.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Chinesah I'm still waiting for that melee CH with a guaranteed pot you promised. Don't worry if its for melee people will come. Melee people are dedicated as hell.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter. I'm sure you haven't shown up to a political speech this year, but still have an opinion on the running men.
wow, i was wondering what you would say after what slikvik said... thought you would start a fight :laugh:... but that was a great statement. :bee: lol

a lot of ppl didn't go to the tourney because of the entry fee as g-reg said.. not cuz the competition is too tough >_<

i didn't go cuz of school though... i would've missed school the next day probably.. and i'm sure a lot of ppl were in the same situation.

that sucks about the payouts though. =/

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
dude seriously I agree, a guarantee is a guarantee, this guy should take responsibility

you don't go around tourneys and posting things like GUARANTEED 5000 POT and then give the 1st place winners barely over 300 each. Me and Azen were supposed to make 1500 each.

COMBINED. Singles was like 200ish or something

wtf is that?

F A I L

thumbswayup

Smash Master
What's hilarious is that if Critical Hit 5 was a guaranteed prize pot for Melee more people would attend than this. People travel for Melee because it's awesome. Brawl is just Brawl, not worth a plane ticket.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Hold on.. Last weekend at alukard's biweekly with like 25 people and 15$ entry fee combined to enter both events. I made 150. How does m2k win a 50-60 man tournament with 45$ entry fee and win approximately double what I made? Granted he split singles but... I'm still confused? Lets see. He used 1000$ to rent the place right? Well, taking 1000$ out of the 45 * 50 leaves the pot at 1250 for both events. Approx 625 for each event. I don't see how he could WIN one of the events and split 1st + 2nd place prize money combined and only come out with 300$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom