• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

H2YL Presents: Critical Hit 4 - Sykesville, MD - Set 6-7, 08 - Guaranteed $5000 Pot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If the entry fee was lowered to $45, and 60 people entered, that would be a $2700 pot as opposed to $5000 pot. Going by that, payouts would theoretically be, oh, 54% as much as the guaranteed payouts. Taking the "guaranteed payouts" and multiplying by .54 gives...

1st 648
2nd 324

or, split
1st 486
2nd 486

So, a little over $300 each makes sense for doubles... but it seems M2K (and by extension, Azen) got half what he should've in singles?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea....

Basically the guarantee was: I guarantee a $5,000 pot so long as I'm guaranteed to make money off your entrance.

That said, I would feel bad for the guy, but that is the risk he took. At the end of the day this just looks like one of many tournaments were promises went unmet and no repercussions happen.

I'm making a new rule for stickys, any time there is a guarantee, I'm gonna ask the TO if its in writing and if there are any unseen stipulations. The Smash community is not the only one that has been burned by these schemes, CPL tried to run a $1,000,000 Halo 3 tournament, but had really high entrance fees and really bad rules, the tournament got like 1/10th turnout they wanted, and it turns out there was no guaranteed $1,000,000 pay out, it was only if they had a certain number of attendants, so instead it was $100,000, or just 10% of the promised amount.

What's hilarious is that if Critical Hit 5 was a guaranteed prize pot for Melee more people would attend than this. People travel for Melee because it's awesome. Brawl is just Brawl, not worth a plane ticket.
COUGH FAST COUGH

Aside from FAST, when has Melee even broke 80 recently? Yea, people are dedicated to Melee, about all of 50 people in the entire EC. A Melee only tournament...well, give it a try and see how it goes.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it doesn't matter what it "should" have been proportionately

it "should" have been $5000 because it was $5000 guaranteed; it's stated TWICE in the first post in addition to the title

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I'm making a new rule for stickys, any time there is a guarantee, I'm gonna ask the TO if its in writing and if there are any unseen stipulations. The Smash community is not the only one that has been burned by these schemes, CPL tried to run a $1,000,000 Halo 3 tournament, but had really high entrance fees and really bad rules, the tournament got like 1/10th turnout they wanted, and it turns out there was no guaranteed $1,000,000 pay out, it was only if they had a certain number of attendants, so instead it was $100,000, or just 10% of the promised amount.
Chaos, SS and Ogre 2 were SO MAD LMAO

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Critical Hit 4
Payouts
All money is guaranteed by Gaame Playe.

Singles
1st 1200
2nd 600
3rd 300
4th 150
5th 75
5th 75
7th 50
7th 50

Teams
1st 1200
2nd 600
3rd 300
4th 150
5th 75
5th 75
7th 50
7th 50
notice the GUARANTEED part

regardless of what he "thought" or what anyone "thought"

a GUARANTEE IS A GUARANTEE

Inlovewitlil (5:38:20 PM): yo
Inlovewitlil (5:38:22 PM): take them
Inlovewitlil (5:38:25 PM): to small claims dude
Inlovewitlil (5:38:29 PM): its illegal for
Inlovewitlil (5:38:32 PM): ppl to do that
Inlovewitlil (5:38:47 PM): to pot a granteed pot then ot do it
Inlovewitlil (5:38:51 PM): u can sue for tha

I'm really tempted

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I wish there was still MLG for Brawl. I liked the officialness of it all.

-Always a certain amount of money
-No splits so ppl HAD to play it out and try so we could see whose better
-Videos quick and easy

The Smash community should start our own league, like EVO. Idk what we'd call it but it would be really cool if there was an EVO like league/tourney for Smash only. It would be REALLY official and it would be cool.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Wow. I am nvr going to *** to emericah, u guyz r jst creuks. jst steel my monies.

lol jk. I think this tournament will be a lesson learned. It was bound to happen sometime

edit: sp

pockyD

Smash Legend

I'm really tempted
first, we all know you don't have the initiative to do this

secondly, if all the evidence you have is what's posted here on smashboards, then you aren't going to win anyway

Eggm

Smash Hero
Yea....

Basically the guarantee was: I guarantee a $5,000 pot so long as I'm guaranteed to make money off your entrance.

That said, I would feel bad for the guy, but that is the risk he took. At the end of the day this just looks like one of many tournaments were promises went unmet and no repercussions happen.

COUGH FAST COUGH

Aside from FAST, when has Melee even broke 80 recently? Yea, people are dedicated to Melee, about all of 50 people in the entire EC. A Melee only tournament...well, give it a try and see how it goes.
Well georgia had about 120

Also during brawl day at FAST we had a 70 person melee tournament and the same amount of brawl setus as melee setups. LOL. Brawl sucks. Just cause its successful sometimes and osme places doesn't mean everywehre. I mean look @ this tourney. Look @ brawl day during FAST.

And in NJ brawl is hardly around. NJ/PA area melee is bigger has more tournaments with bigger turnouts. So its hard not to be biased against it.

Edit : Even with my numbers which were way less generous than anouku's since he used like 60 people and didn't take away 1000 for the venue m2k should still have made more than 300.

and my numbers only used 50 entrants and it took 1000$ away from the pot before i even started calculating winnings.

What did each place get % wise doubles/singles?

for example what was payed out to each place?

1. 60%?
2. 30 %?
3. 10%?

what was it?

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Chinesah I'm still waiting for that melee CH with a guaranteed pot you promised. Don't worry if its for melee people will come. Melee people are dedicated as hell.
Hell yeah we are. If its two days at least expect team tampa to be there :D

Well georgia had about 120

Also during brawl day at FAST we had a 70 person melee tournament and the same amount of brawl setus as melee setups. LOL. Brawl sucks. Just cause its successful sometimes and osme places doesn't mean everywehre. I mean look @ this tourney. Look @ brawl day during FAST.

And in NJ brawl is hardly around. NJ/PA area melee is bigger has more tournaments with bigger turnouts. So its hard not to be biased against it.
it was actually liek 80 but not everybody played their matches out.

NY is also bringing melee back. Brians weeklys and Bums tourneys.

Europe is also all melee, nobody likes brawl over there.

I wish there was still MLG for Melee. I liked the officialness of it all.

-Always a certain amount of money
-No splits so ppl HAD to play it out and try so we could see whose better
-Videos quick and easy

The Smash community should start our own league, like EVO. Idk what we'd call it but it would be really cool if there was an EVO like league/tourney for Smash only. It would be REALLY official and it would be cool.
Fixed. Brawl never had MLG and they won't because microsoft sponsors them among other reasons.

Get smashboards to sponsor it and have it called NSBL(National Smash bros league)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmnnnn

;____;

nothing really to add...I still want to go to CH events regardless of how guaranteed the payout is [not a comment on whether the happenings yesterday were okay or not]. I just hope the next one works out in my schedule and with my money situation...maybe I shouldn't eat so much Doritos+Coke Zero... I've probably had the equivalent of like 3 CH fees in that combination >_<

I like mgo :)
YOOO you should play my buddy Slash Talon (that's his name on SWF as well)...think he was like #1 in the WORLD in that game??? [maybe ranked #2 but only cuz he played fewer matches, but he did the equivalent of 4-stocking him when they played 1v1...dunno if it was 10-0 or more, but yeah]

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
We could set up our own league and such. be hard and need lots of planning.
this is slowly becoming the trend with the ecrc and anmc. eventually something big will come, these smaller circuits seem to be more testing out the idea

Eggm

Smash Hero
Nice <3 the tampa guys. Hey chinsah stick 2 ur roots host something with big $$ for melee. I think we could get a nice turnout (as long as theres lots of notice).

Oh btw. These random guys who watch my youtube vids from the dominincan republic IMed me and asked me to come to their melee tournament next month. They said they are expecting 200 people, their last one had 160. Melee seems to be pretty **** big there too. Glad to hear Europe sees the light. Brawl is INCREDIBLY boring. people on the fence about coming to brawl tournaments are gonna be like.. eh i'm just going to get camped i'll stay at home. Its not like theres gonna be super exciting finals to watch anyway. I mean top 5 will probably split cause they are all bored and don't want to play it out. like what happened @ that other tourney LMAO.

The Dominican Republic's smashboards equivalent is gamingspot. They have some pretty good players over there they sent me their vids. It'd be interesting if they could come here for a big event.

Anyways point is. Meele isn't dead by a longshot. I know i hate on brawl too much, but the game is awful just admit it lol.

Also melee is the bulk of the tight knit awesome smash community. For example take FAST as an example. It was 2 days both games, but melee dominated the whole tourney. All the people worth hanging out with and that were cool and had fun were playing melee all 4 days. The melee tv's always had the cool people everyone knew and knows about that posts on the boards and stuff. Brawl had like afro thundah whose annoying and says the same thing over and over hoping to get a chuckle, inui and dm brandon and scrubs. and a few other decent FL smashers i don't know of (surpise surpise). Each day melee had like the same amount of setups as brawl and were all laughing and having fun while the brawl kids were sooo bored and pools took like 7 hours. So many brawlers left soon as they were elimnated or migrated to the melee tv's. Brawl just doesn't have the spark that melee does. :(

Oh also melee finals. The room was VIBRATING from cheering. during brawl finals half of the chat i heard around the crowd was oh god plesae let m2k win so theres not a 2nd set and we can go home. like 6 people went to plya baskeball i went to sleep eventually. EVERYONE was bored. The only thing that made it semi excited for the people who actually did watch was region rivalry which can happen in any game. I don't see the appeal in brawl at all. I can't wait to the masses of scrubs which are the only real reason brawl is still thriving move onto the next big thing (which is what they do otherwise the gaming indsturty wouldnt' exist) that way this awful game can die.

Yeah I'm overly harsh on brawl. I don't need to be told to relax or anything with your responses.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Nice <3 the tampa guys. Hey chinsah stick 2 ur roots host something with big $$ for melee. I think we could get a nice turnout (as long as theres lots of notice).

Oh btw. These random guys who watch my youtube vids from the dominincan republic IMed me and asked me to come to their melee tournament next month. They said they are expecting 200 people, their last one had 160. Melee seems to be pretty **** big there too. Glad to hear Europe sees the light. Brawl is INCREDIBLY boring. people on the fence about coming to brawl tournaments are gonna be like.. eh i'm just going to get camped i'll stay at home. Its not like theres gonna be super exciting finals to watch anyway. I mean top 5 will probably split cause they are all bored and don't want to play it out. like what happened @ that other tourney LMAO.

The Dominican Republic's smashboards equivalent is gamingspot. They have some pretty good players over there they sent me their vids. It'd be interesting if they could come here for a big event.

Anyways point is. Meele isn't dead by a longshot. I know i hate on brawl too much, but the game is awful just admit it lol.

Also melee is the bulk of the tight knit awesome smash community. For example take FAST as an example. It was 2 days both games, but melee dominated the whole tourney. All the people worth hanging out with and that were cool and had fun were playing melee all 4 days. The melee tv's always had the cool people everyone knew and knows about that posts on the boards and stuff. Brawl had like afro thundah whose annoying and says the same thing over and over hoping to get a chuckle, inui and dm brandon and scrubs. and a few other decent FL smashers i don't know of (surpise surpise). Each day melee had like the same amount of setups as brawl and were all laughing and having fun while the brawl kids were sooo bored and pools took like 7 hours. So many brawlers left soon as they were elimnated or migrated to the melee tv's. Brawl just doesn't have the spark that melee does. :(
woah a big melee tourney in the DR? when and where? PM me the specs if you can bro thats pretty close to us.

lol @ m2k taking them to court. you'll clearly lose and lose money in the process.
I'm trying to think of a pun with paul in it lol

Eggm

Smash Hero
PC yah, even tho m2k hast he money for an attorney it wouldn't be cost effective for him probably. Um, I can't read spanish and they hardly spoke english when i talked to them. But if you can like find some one good at spanish to read at gamingspot i'm sure the tourney details are there. just google gamingspotssbm or gaming spot ray mario youl'l find the site. Lemme know the details too!! I wish i could read spanish lmao.

edit : its probably somewhere in here.

http://www.gamingspot.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

They talked about like the tournament having a big screen LCD as a prize. So i'm guessing its sponsored. If you can get me like translated rules and like what airport to take I'm interested and going and taking their money. xD It sucks I can't communicate with them on the messenger since they speak like only spanish lmao.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
PC yah, even tho m2k hast he money for an attorney it wouldn't be cost effective for him probably. Um, I can't read spanish and they hardly spoke english when i talked to them. But if you can like find some one good at spanish to read at gamingspot i'm sure the tourney details are there. just google gamingspotssbm or gaming spot ray mario youl'l find the site. Lemme know the details too!! I wish i could read spanish lmao.
I was going to go to Mexico for the national melee tourney they had(150+ people this year), and they said I spoke fluent spanish. Are you actually gonna go? cuz I deffinatly don't wanna go by myself lolol

and ill help you out just get on aim

PM me the *****! ?
You racist pig!
lol emilio

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'm on aim. My aim is in my profile. Yours isn't tho, so put it in there or just IM me. I'd go if the rules/prizes looked promising. My buddy DJ Nintendo would go he said and fly with me and team with me and help me around he knows spanish and has family who could probably house us in the DR he said.

echos

Smash Journeyman
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmnnnn

;____;

nothing really to add...I still want to go to CH events regardless of how guaranteed the payout is [not a comment on whether the happenings yesterday were okay or not]. I just hope the next one works out in my schedule and with my money situation...maybe I shouldn't eat so much Doritos+Coke Zero... I've probably had the equivalent of like 3 CH fees in that combination >_<

YOOO you should play my buddy Slash Talon (that's his name on SWF as well)...think he was like #1 in the WORLD in that game??? [maybe ranked #2 but only cuz he played fewer matches, but he did the equivalent of 4-stocking him when they played 1v1...dunno if it was 10-0 or more, but yeah]
Thanks for being positive toasty, just about every other persons post is either a ***** or a moan.

Vist

Smash Champion
man i didnt get to stay for singles b/c i had to leave but i couldnt get a refund :ohwell:

anyway, im pretty bored with brawl so ill probably be playing lots of melee coming up

also, since im going to umbc nowadays i may try to get tournaments going there again like umbc ss had going and maybe even another massive tournament like pound 3

Cia

das kwl

edit : its probably somewhere in here.

http://www.gamingspot.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

They talked about like the tournament having a big screen LCD as a prize. So i'm guessing its sponsored. If you can get me like translated rules and like what airport to take I'm interested and going and taking their money. xD It sucks I can't communicate with them on the messenger since they speak like only spanish lmao.
actually. M2K wouldn't need a lawyer. the pot was said to be guaranteed for $5,000.00. any suit with a value of $5,000.00 or less would be settled in small claims court.

however, taking them to court would be useless because the agreement was not documented in writing. there may have been a verbal agreement. but that was bet. the store and h2yl. THEY would probably have something, it they took the venue to court.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
notice the GUARANTEED part

regardless of what he "thought" or what anyone "thought"

a GUARANTEE IS A GUARANTEE

I'm really tempted
It costs $1500 dollars to take them to same claims court in the state of New Jersey. If you think you have enough evidence for the case, consult with a lawyer. I'd say go for it, hopefully you'll get what your deserved.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
youre right, i entirely agree its not fair to the winners and OOS people. i dont think chinesah had any control over it, so all of the whining should be directed at owner of gaame playe. i got my money back and im a laid back guy so i was content, but i didnt see other tourney placers questioning the issue while signing up, or after the tourney was over (i left after i lost). someone couldve either complained, or more dramatically called the police (or "go to court"). whatever youd have to do, itd be a hassle and youd force the guy to take a $2000 hit at his store. forgive me for defending the guy, its definitely messed up, but im sure he also feels cheated producing a large venue with tons of setups, expecting to host our self-hyped ECRC event, to have only like half the people come.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
It's because Brawl is dying in MD/VA, and it's dying hard. Our tournament attendance has been less and less every time. Only Cyberden seems to keep a good turnout and that's because they have a decent price and it's a nice atmosphere.

I bet if we started holding Melee tournaments all the time the turnouts would be greater than the ones we've been getting for Brawl. We could easily surpass 40 people per tourny and even get a bunch of OOS like Eggm, M2k, and Scar. And since I KNOW that almost everyone in MD/VA still loves playing Melee, I really don't see why this isn't being done.

skins2153

Smash Cadet
youre right, i entirely agree its not fair to the winners and OOS people. i dont think chinesah had any control over it, so all of the whining should be directed at owner of gaame playe. i got my money back and im a laid back guy so i was content, but i didnt see other tourney placers questioning the issue while signing up, or after the tourney was over (i left after i lost). someone couldve either complained, or more dramatically called the police (or "go to court"). whatever youd have to do, itd be a hassle and youd force the guy to take a $2000 hit at his store. forgive me for defending the guy, its definitely messed up, but im sure he also feels cheated producing a large venue with tons of setups, expecting to host our self-hyped ECRC event, to have only like half the people come.

I agree with this. If it becomes more evident that the opposite of this is true then I will direct everyone here.

If you go there it will all make sense.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Greg - they still shouldn't have ***** the pot so bad, if they didn't give a MUCH bigger difference than what me/azen deserved then I wouldn't care that much, but me and azen got barely over 300 when we were both promised 1500. If twice the people came, we woulda got nearly 5 times more? wtf? that's dumb, they should have at least doubled the payouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom