• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
There's one in June or something in Sauga, then one in something, then a huge one in Hamilton that I'm apparently gonna be running (the Melee section at least). The next melee-only one depends on how soon I find a venue or if anyone else but me happens to feel like hosting one (in a real venue i mean). I'll get specifics for them in a second.

I'll do one over the summer hopefully.

That video was awesome.

PS. Afro: it's so epic, that it has a pool.

EDIT:

Final Only in Niagara (Brawl/Melee): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228915

Havoc in the Hammer (Brawl/Melee): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222963

Mikey7's igbog (Mixed): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230125

Sauga Outbreak (Mixed...I think): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230446

There was one more, but I don't know/care where it went. It probably would have sucked lol

Then after that there's like...nothing, actually. We should all cooperate and do a Teen Titans tournament.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Double post because I need people to pay attention to me.

I'm visiting a friend with other friends to spend all his leftover flex dollars on igbogs at York this wednesday. He's in resident at the university. So, I was wondering, since you guys do hags at York on wednesdays, if I could go join in for that day, since I'll be there and we have to leave by like 4. Is there a way for us to work some stuffs out?

Santana

Smash Apprentice
Double post because I need people to pay attention to me.

I'm visiting a friend with other friends to spend all his leftover flex dollars on igbogs at York this wednesday. He's in resident at the university. So, I was wondering, since you guys do hags at York on wednesdays, if I could go join in for that day, since I'll be there and we have to leave by like 4. Is there a way for us to work some stuffs out?
Like, you leave by 4 from York? We usually start at around 5:30.

EDIT for Grmo's post:

WHERE YOU AT? (Brawl/Melee) Mid June - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220900

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
i was just thinking about something...doesn't it seem like jigglypuff mains are disproportionately good?

i mean, think of any other character, and think of all the well-known players who main them. if you rated all of them from 1-10, i think jiggs mains overall would get a really high number. there aren't a lot of jiggs mains, but there are a bunch of really good ones.

like...take falcon. you can probably name 5 or so really good ones, and then a whole bunch of crappy ones. but how many crappy jigglypuff mains have you heard of?

correct me if i'm wrong. but it does seem like a trend to me.
because jiggs is a fairly easy character to play *cough brawlish cough character* , and plus jiggs main dont really combo, and when they do its the same up throw to rest, doesn't like jiggs only need like 4 moves to win, u cant really do anything new or really cool looking wit jiggs,.......**omg 4 stock come back...rest, rest, rest, rest**....like thats never been seen before* where as falcon and other characters need alot more effort to be put in to make them good we dont have things that allow us to really even out match ups *cough really really bad recovery cough*, not only that but falcon players keeps learning new flashy and stupid tricks like everyweek not only that but ppl try to make up their own style rather than copy off ppl, sure it doesn't hurt to take a few tricks from each other, but where as most puff mains play alike, after king and mango i've yet to see anything that remotely makes me want to even play jiggs for fun. And what isnt there only like 2 good/super known puff players, and didnt one of those switch to spacies vs falcon, after their puff got ***** by a falcon main a few months back :)

in short i'm not saying its a bad thing that most of u guys play alike, hell it might even be a good thing seeing how so many of u guys play alike maybe some new puff player will get pissed off and start making up new tricks and get known :p

idea

Smash Master
eh...jiggs is easy to play mediumly well, hard to play at top level. i mean, if she was easy to play and really good, then everyone would play her =P a lot of people play "to win" more so than "for fun"...cause yeah, if it was purely "for fun" then everyone would play falcon and jump out of their seat whenever they hit with a knee. and if they're playing "to win" then they would go with whatever their best chance is, which is generally the easiest character to play, since things like priority and speed and whatnot are what make them easy in the first place. and are the same reasons it's so hard to play characters like bowser.

but anyway. the characters themselves weren't exactly the point. i meant...it just seems weird that there's such a close ratio of good:bad jigglypuff mains that people have heard of. if you tried to name all the ones you've heard of, most of them would be able to beat you in tourney.

but could that also be that, for whatever reason, you just don't hear of most of them? really i'm just thinking out loud.

honestly, though, if she was THAT easy to play then everyone would have her as an alternate and use her when their main isn't working. but no one does that. their alternate is always sheik or marth or a spacey.

tl;dr why do puff mains so good?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
>_> What?
Do you think Mango would have come from virtually nowhere and beaten M2K, Ken and PC Chris with a character that wasn't Puff?

There was no progression of large tournament placings for him like... Forward, Jman, Cactuar, SilentSpectre have/had been playing for a while and their placings got steadily better until they could compete at the top level of this game. It was a gradual process.

It's only with the Jiggs mains (and like... KDJ) where we have a case of players coming from nowhere and insta-******. It's just the way Jiggs works... not needing to refine a lot of key things that the other characters need to do without fail to even have a chance (DI, Combo, Recover, etc.)

idea

Smash Master
mike - yeah, that makes sense. i maintain that it's difficult to play her at higher skill levels, though. my fox without tech skill is still comparatively easy to use =P you just kind of...jump at them with nair or run at them and grab and it'll work eventually.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Basically, it's because a lot of people who are horrible get really, really well-known by doing really, really stupid, gimmicky, moronic, flashy things (like combo videos or just dumb trixxies) that will never help anyone ever get better and have rarely helped anyone get better, but they look freaking cool. Because most smashers don't have a critical eye for this (*cough*allpeoplewanttoseeiscombovideos*cough*) these people get a lot of ill-warranted praise.

Jigglypuff does not have this issue associated with her like Sheik, Fox, Falcon, Falco, Marth, etc. because she doesn't have the same depth in her technical game. Really, it boils down to the fact that it's hard to be fancy with Puff, whereas it is very easy to be fancy, inefficient, and crazy stupid with most other characters. Unfortunately, none of that crap makes you good. At all.

I could very easily find terrible, atrocious Jigglypuffs if I really tried. I could find terrible DI in her, her being death comboed for bad decisions, and about 3000 hours of whiffed Rests without even working hard. There are plenty of bad Puffs, just like any other character. The only reason bad Puffs stay hidden is because they don't have spotlight to fall back onto.

Leek

Smash Cadet
Kyle, it's andrew.. I realized that the timberland jacket at your house is mine. I'll get it back during your next smashfest :D

Grmo

Smash Champion
I want that shirt.

I will also maintain that the tier list is vaguely representative of how easy a character is to play, ie. Fox is easiest, sheik/marth/falco/jiggs are slightly less easy but still obscenely so, then peach, and so on. How good a character is is basically how much of their efforts come through, and thus how much of their crap works and gets kills. In other words, how easy they are to use and get results with. I mean sure, Mewtwo is easy to use, but you can't do **** with him unless you're 10x better than your opponent. See what I'm getting at?

Jiggs players don't necessarily need to learn how to combo, but in their defense Jiggs isn't built for that. On that note, Fox, Marth etc have such easy combos that they don't even require learning. I'm talking about the efficient stuff that David mentioned, not that flashy/creative stuff that seems to be ever so popular these days.

Oh wait, nevermind :laugh:

Santana

Smash Apprentice
eh...jiggs is easy to play mediumly well, hard to play at top level. i mean, if she was easy to play and really good, then everyone would play her =P a lot of people play "to win" more so than "for fun"...cause yeah, if it was purely "for fun" then everyone would play falcon and jump out of their seat whenever they hit with a knee. and if they're playing "to win" then they would go with whatever their best chance is, which is generally the easiest character to play, since things like priority and speed and whatnot are what make them easy in the first place. and are the same reasons it's so hard to play characters like bowser.

but anyway. the characters themselves weren't exactly the point. i meant...it just seems weird that there's such a close ratio of good:bad jigglypuff mains that people have heard of. if you tried to name all the ones you've heard of, most of them would be able to beat you in tourney.

but could that also be that, for whatever reason, you just don't hear of most of them? really i'm just thinking out loud.

honestly, though, if she was THAT easy to play then everyone would have her as an alternate and use her when their main isn't working. but no one does that. their alternate is always sheik or marth or a spacey.

tl;dr why do puff mains so good?
Why put a tl;dr when it doesn't make sense? I had to read the whole post anyways to find out what the tl'dr meant, hah :laugh:

On another note, I just replaced everything in these posts with Sheik and it all made sense.

soap

Smash Hero
Basically, it's because a lot of people who are horrible get really, really well-known by doing really, really stupid, gimmicky, moronic, flashy things (like combo videos or just dumb trixxies) that will never help anyone ever get better and have rarely helped anyone get better, but they look freaking cool. Because most smashers don't have a critical eye for this (*cough*allpeoplewanttoseeiscombovideos*cough*) these people get a lot of ill-warranted praise.
hey this sounds just like me!

combo videos **** son, gtfo

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
lolz soap tech skill vids are different, there's some cool stuff in it that's actually useful <3

Isai drop needle stuff is ****.

Santa, send me your email address (msn please) because I checked and don't think I have you and I need your house address and stuff so I can figure out how the hell I'm getting to your house.

Josh you're a noob.

idea

Smash Master
oh yeah, that reminds me. bernard or ryan, can i stay at/go to your house friday night? or...if you're all going to julian's like david...then can i go with someone to make that easier?

Darcia

Smash Rookie
btw I might be able to make it to starfurry so I'll need details since it's my first time and all. :p

If I go I will be late cause of the funeral for my aunt.

:( My unlce called to day and forgot it was my birthday cause he got so caught up in this. I hope he will feel better soon.

unknown522

Some guy
oh yeah, that reminds me. bernard or ryan, can i stay at/go to your house friday night? or...if you're all going to julian's like david...then can i go with someone to make that easier?
I'll let you know on thursday.

oh yeah, people are coming over that day, whoever else wants to come, let me know or something.

Just A Frog

Smash Cadet
**Wild Frog Appeared**

-Wild Frog Used Bair->Grab-

**But it missed!**

-RaynEX used Waveshine-

**Wild Frog ran away**

uhh i felt like doing something stupid.

Grmo

Smash Champion
btw I might be able to make it to starfurry so I'll need details since it's my first time and all. :p

If I go I will be late cause of the funeral for my aunt.

:( My unlce called to day and forgot it was my birthday cause he got so caught up in this. I hope he will feel better soon.
haaaaaags :(

I'm really sorry to hear about all that. I hope things will be alright.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225136&page=23 <-- link to the Starfurry 4 thread.

Anyway, happy birthday :)

idea

Smash Master
so...i'm watching a west coast vid...and my computer's volume was on high...and it seems the headphones got pulled out at some point...yeah, hope that didn't wake my parents up.

Grmo

Smash Champion
May 9, 1998

Played poker tonight with Scott and Alias from Security, and Steve from
Research. Steve was the big winner, but I think he was cheating. Scumbag.

May 10, 1998

One of the higher-ups assigned me to take care of a new creature. It looks
like a skinned gorilla. Feeding instructions were to give it live animals.

When I threw in a pig, the creature seemed to play with it...tearing off the
pig's legs and pulling out the guts before it actually started eating.

May 11, 1998

At around 5 A.M., Scott woke me up. Scared the **** out me, too. He was
wearing a protective suit. He handed me another one and told me to put it on.
Said there'd been an accident in the basement lab.

I just knew something like this would happen. Those *******s in Research never
sleep, even on holiday.

May 12, 1998

I've been wearing the **** space suit since yesterday. My skin's getting grimy
and feels itchy all over. The god**** dogs have been looking at me funny, so I
decided not to feed them today. Screw 'em.

May 13, 1998

Went to the Infirmary because my back is all swollen and feels itchy. They put
a big bandage on it and told me I didn't need to wear the suit anymore. All I
wanna do is sleep.

May 14, 1998

Found another big blister on my foot this morning. I ended up dragging my foot
all the way to the dog's pen. They were quiet all day, which is weird.

Then I realized some of them had escaped. Maybe this is their way of getting
back at me for not feeding them the last three days. If anybody finds out,
I'll have my head handed to me.

May 16, 1998

Rumours going around that a researcher who tried to escape the estate last
night was shot. My entire body feels hot and itchy and I'm sweating all the
time now.

I scratched the swelling on my arm and a piece of rotten flesh just dropped
off. What the hell's happening to me?

May 19, 1998

Fever gone but itchy. Today hungry and eat doggie food.

May 21, 1998

Itchy itchy Scott came ugly face so killed him. Tasty.

4 / / Itchy. Tasty.

Santana

Smash Apprentice
Address:

3 Muirfield Trail, Markham
Kennedy and Major Mac

It's the Angus Glen complex, right across the street from Pierre Elliot Trudeau High School and a Plaza with Pizza Nova and Subway and some random medical offices.

To bus, I'm not sure of the actual buses and schedules, but the TTC and YRT websites are what I used when I used to bus.

Basically, go across to Kennedy and up Kennedy to Major Mac. Or you can go up whatever street you want to Major Mac and go across to Kennedy. Right at Major Mac and Kennedy is my complex, and there's a bus that can take you into the complex from there. Or you can walk through my complex... about a 5-10 minute walk to my house from there, I believe. If you're Mike, it's like a 60 second walk.

If anyone is going to drive, I suggest to take the DVP/404 north to Major Mac, across (east) to Kennedy and just before Kennedy (it's the last turn in before Kennedy, hard to miss) you can turn in on the right. Mapquest can help navigate the little streets to my house from there.

Here's the Mapquest link for my house: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Markham&state=ON&address=3+Muirfield+Trail

SUPER EDIT: For those commuting, this is the stuff you need.

I grazed the YRT site and found this:

http://www.yrt.ca/maps/navigators/8.pdf

Basically, you just need to find a way to get on that route, which would be any bus that takes you across to Kennedy, north of Steeles. Quote from page:

When this trip arrives at Kennedy Rd and Major Mackenzie Dr., bus will service the
Prospectors diversion

^Which is hawt. Get off anywhere on Prospector's Drive and it's like a 2 minute walk to my house.

EDITEDIT: Alternate route (probably good for Kyle and Stos or anyone else that wants to go on VP up or is taking the subway to VP station):

http://www.yrt.ca/maps/pdf/24d_map.pdf

Take the route from VP subway up to Major Mac (the big A on the right map). From there take:

http://www.yrt.ca/maps/navigators/4.pdf

Across to Kennedy and get off right before Kennedy at Prospector's Drive. You can walk in from there fairly easily by following mapquest or call my cell - 647 293 5693.

Anyone else needs directions, just ask, but the YRT site is a pretty big help. It's going to be an epic journey, but not that epic.
I dug this up from somewhere in this thread just for you David.

Email: juliank_6@hotmail.com

Problem is, I might need to go to a birthday on Friday or something. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Is David only one coming?

Sanu

Smash Champion
So it turns out I've wasted the past month at the gym trying to lose weight (and failing miserably) because I haven't been... EATING ENOUGH. The more you know, right guys?! **** ****** **** **** ***** **** and ****.

/wrists

Edit: Could someone bring a copy of Brawl to York tonight? I forgot my Wii (which has his in it) and I can't go back to get it... I'm also super busy tomorrow so I can't drop it off to him. PLEASE LET HIM BORROW YOUR BRAWL DISC FOR THE WEEKEND AND I'LL LOVE YOU FOREVER.

idea

Smash Master
okay. two things.

1. best way to start your day: attractive girl repeatedly looking at you on the subway =) she even did that thing where, when we made eye contact, she looked away to the side quickly.
2. someone has written "Isaiah" on this desk. the second 'i' is dotted with a heart.

Top Bottom