• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I really think Brinstar is Puff's better stage in pretty much every matchup tbqh.

I also think it's easier for Marth to camp Mute City.

I can explain why if you want to know.

idea

Smash Master
melee is so philisophical <3
anyone else watch fight club? it was just on tv.

LOL I could have told you those rules long time ago. brinstar is still good vs marth though, you basically force them to ban either that or mute.
i normally do ban yoshi's, especially against marths, but i can also get rests off the platforms so for some reason in this set i decided not to. it was the worst time not to, though, as it turned out =P and mute is much more neutral than brinstar so i don't often go there, but i noticed i was having trouble stopping him/probably other marths too from recovering on brinstar, so mute could probably solve that problem with its lack of edges.

I really think Brinstar is Puff's better stage in pretty much every matchup tbqh.

I also think it's easier for Marth to camp Mute City.

I can explain why if you want to know.
sure, go ahead. it surprised me, i didn't feel like i had the normal huge advantage on brinstar vs. his marth.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
On Mute there isn't any lava in interrupt Marth's spacing, or to force him to jump.The different sections of Mute also provide enough room for Marth to avoid the Jiggs with DDing. More than brinstar anyways, where movement options for Marth are extremely limited.

idea

Smash Master
He goes there vs. me in friendlies because he thinks I suck there.

Its not platforms, the sides/ceiling or the crooked ground that bother me. Its the ****ing lava. Mother****ing lava always jews me.

:(
well, there you go, if he actually picks it himself he's probably more comfortable there than most marths. and sometimes the weird ground actually screws me up too.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Mute city is just too awesome for Jigg's cause of the lack of edges of course, but also she can live really long there due to its dimensions.

The odd angles and ledges of brinstar probably screw over jigg's the least of the whole cast.
"Personally I prefer the air"
Oh, there also is the free rest opportunity you can use if you predict the lava's rise.

Also small extra note, against a good Link (rare i know, but...) ban FD instead of Yoshi's.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
well, there you go, if he actually picks it himself he's probably more comfortable there than most marths. and sometimes the weird ground actually screws me up too.
He has never actually picked it vs. me in tournament though. He always cps FD. Marth vs. Fox...go figure.:laugh:

idea

Smash Master
Mute city is just too awesome for Jigg's cause of the lack of edges of course, but also she can live really long there due to its dimensions.

The odd angles and ledges of brinstar probably screw over jigg's the least of the whole cast.
"Personally I prefer the air"
Oh, there also is the free rest opportunity you can use if you predict the lava's rise.

Also small extra note, against a good Link (rare i know, but...) ban FD instead of Yoshi's.
yeah, i usually ban that against stos =P after all this time that stage feels pretty boring anyway. it's flat, and not very colourful. and then there are some people i'd rather not ban yoshi's for if i'm confident enough about getting platform techchase rests.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
sure, go ahead. it surprised me, i didn't feel like i had the normal huge advantage on brinstar vs. his marth.
The slopes reduce characters' tech roll distances and certain areas act as walls during tech rolls (the bubbly ****) and there are platforms.

So in general it's easier to get stupid rests there.

In addition it's dumb to Marth because of all the reasons Bernie described.

For Fox see the slope stuff.

For Falco see the slope stuff.

Sheik is one I'd say Mute > Brinstar because the lack of edges screw her recovery over more than anything else which makes edgeguarding easier than usual.

Peach on Mute lives to stupid percentages and since she can't punish your rest super hard you might as well take her to the level where rests are easier. Her recovery in no way is jewed by the lack of edges either so she loses nothing. Realistically vs puff she's never going to be hit at a low angle so she'll always be recovering high, and therefore usually doesn't grab the edge anyways.

Ganon I don't know.

ICs hate the angles, it wrecks their ice blocks and several other moves, they can't wobble you for long because of the lava, the lava ultra gimps Nana because she doesn't wiggle out of hitstun so if she's hit after losing her double jump she dies after being hit by lava and there's no way for Popo to grab her with sideB or upB because she'll still be "stunned". It's stupid and it's gay.

Falcon iunno I think they're both dumb against him. Small cramped stages that wreck his dash dancing like FoD and Yoshi's are better against him anyways. If I had to pick one I guess I'd pick the one where rests are easier? I've never had this issue so I don't know or care really.

Link Brinstar is better I think for resting reasons and the road not saving him and stuff... he sort of just falls to his death after a few bairs and an edge roll. A big flat space for Link spam is gay anyways.

DK I don't know or care although I hear U-throw U-air doesn't work on Puff so probably Brinstar for dumb KOs. DK can live forever too so rob him of his only advantage and then just do dumb gimp rests.

Luigi I don't know or care but my gut says Brinstar

Pikachu pick Mute. You don't need to rest him to win you need to approach slow and Bair spam so Mute. Plus his recovery takes it up the *** there.

That sums up all characters I'd care about ever.

edit: these are just my thoughts. Ultimately play wherever you feel comfortable. It is my opinion that the many outlets for stupid rests available on Brinstar combined with the angles make it the better stage at high level for Jigglypuff opposed to the increased edgeguarding power and larger stage boundaries that Mute provides because I don't think Jigglypuff at high level can rely on traditional KOs and edgeguarding and needs gimpy rests to keep pace with armoured killing machines like Fox and Sheik and Brinstar maximizes these chances for gimps more than Mute does.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
LOL So i just watched the crew battle.

Notes:
-Sylar very much impressed me, I was sure that was like you or Ryan at times. Good ****, got downsmashed a lot though but whatevs.
-Adnan got scrubbed out.... =S Come on Adnan, how you going to let prez outshine you? (no diss to prez)
-LOL at Ryan's Pichu picking fights with everyone
- Kyle was playing very well vs Mike at the beginning, seemed to get a little anxious as things went on though.
- Bernard's team seemed slightly stacked against him...
- Imadh pulling some stylish marth **** as always

Oh and also LMAO at Adnan trying to make fun of Jake, fail.
Also it was kinda cool to hear my name too, although I think I heard some **** talk but I couldn't make it out really so whatevs.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I think we still pulled it out. It could have gone a lot worse.

Still, I attribute our loss to 3 things:

1: HOO%'s inability to grab that Falco's ***.

2: see above

3: Adnan killing the insect with Brawl and bringing upon us the wrath of the insect gods. (in the form of bad luck)

D

Deleted member

lol @ jake in the making... soo dumb lmao

- imadhs marth, when hes under control, hoooly **** is he good.
- david somehow has even better prediction than before
- ryan, but more so bernard, definitely seems more refined
- sylar definitely got a lot better
- adnan still does weird **** like approaching with ground f-airs :S

idea

Smash Master
LOL So i just watched the crew battle.

Notes:
-Sylar very much impressed me, I was sure that was like you or Ryan at times. Good ****, got downsmashed a lot though but whatevs.
-Adnan got scrubbed out.... =S Come on Adnan, how you going to let prez outshine you? (no diss to prez)
-LOL at Ryan's Pichu picking fights with everyone
- Kyle was playing very well vs Mike at the beginning, seemed to get a little anxious as things went on though.
- Bernard's team seemed slightly stacked against him...
- Imadh pulling some stylish marth **** as always

Oh and also LMAO at Adnan trying to make fun of Jake, fail.
Also it was kinda cool to hear my name too, although I think I heard some **** talk but I couldn't make it out really so whatevs.
thanks, but i wasn't playing particularly well at any point in that match =P not johning though, just saying. if there's even a difference. too bad there aren't videos of my friendlies from like 3 am the night before, those would be much better to judge me by.

jake and noah never told us why they didn't come <_<

edit: wow, pakman's luigi is amazing

D

Deleted member

ill tell you what happened..

the night before on the phone:

me: "k so wake up by like 11 30 and come to yonge/bloor where ill meet you (sidenote - i live 5 min away said intersection)

noah: "kk cool"

the next day

me: "hi is noah there? Oh he's still sleeping? oh yea would you mind waking him up? its 1 30 and he still hasnt called"

noah: "yo, sry i slept in, connel said hes probably down to come so lets wait for him"

me: *sigh*

3 hours later

me: "hes not coming, lets just go man"

noah: "k tyler said he is down, he's on his way"

tyler takes 2 hours to get to his house, once there

me: "**** you guys are we going or what?"

noah: "nah man we're both pretty tired"

aaaand yeah.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I only watched the first few matches of the Crew Battle, I'll watch the rest later.

At first I thought Wang was a nub, but I guess he was just sandbagging because he looked alot better facing Ndot. And LOL at Ndot's PowerShields, what a beast.

ALSO. LOL at you guys talking about Desh.

It's only been like 10 minutes in and this is already lulz.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Kirbykaze is that Katara in your avatar??? cuz that'd be awesome! Avatar for the win!

just got back from camping guys... yes... camping.... friday night was 4 degrees when we put up our tent.... good old canada. but on our 3 hour drive up to Kill bear i was talking to my friend and he's up for coming to a november smash event as well.

and what was this crew battle!!! did something happen this weekend?.. sorry for not going back and reading posts

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
that is johnny from johnny the homicidal maniac.

edit: but yes avatar is full of win.

the crew battle was something that happened over the weekend at bernard's friendly tournament.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
ya the seasons just finished downloading... but for some reason i have no sound... i hate torrents sometimes. oh alright cool. just watched the grand final set. nice stuff

Top Bottom