• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

JPOBS

Smash Hero
My stance on controller holding/button pressing is that one should use as many different combinations of buttons as possible for anything for the sake of efficiency.

the fact that there are 3 jump buttons is a god send given that we cant map controls the way brawl does. I use all 3 methods of jumping, each for multiple purposes.

edit, i read your huge post jack, I just don't have anything to say directly in response to it because its mostly just your opinion on how you view the controller, none of it is right or wrong. But i also don't get cramps so i don't have an stance on how to prevent them

idea

Smash Master
imo you probably can't do much about hand cramps...

if you want to try, though, i would think about specifically what parts of my hand hurt, and why. for instance, my left thumb is pretty much the only thing that ever cramps up for me, if anything, and i know it's because i float back and forth so much with jigglypuff. but...i can't really stop doing that. it's important to how you play her. =P

best i can do is play another character to transfer the stress more to my button-pressing right hand.

Bing

Smash Master
it's kind of campy...and kind of simplistic...and kind of not very interesting.

the rule of thumb is, the farther you get from king's puff the less i like it.

(but yeah, that said, he is good)
huh... the few matches I just watched he was equally offensive as the other guy...(I watched his set with Sparrow{I dont remember the whole name])

idea

Smash Master
maybe sparrow is bad...he seems more aggressive against bad people.

i watched hm vs. kles and teczaro (so they can't namesearch haha)...both of whom probably should have been shooting more lasers. lasers beats campy jiggs, medium-distance spacing jiggs beats lasers, dash dancy fox beats medium-distance spacing jiggs...but they weren't really going back to lasers when velynn went back to campy jiggs. they kept dash dancing after they needed to. imo.

idea

Smash Master
Playing puff makes me sad, I wish I could play fox.
damn, i was hoping you wouldn't namesearch, makes it look like i'm insulting you =(

ah well, good ****, i don't think i could beat tec0 =/

edit: wait, if playing puff makes you sad, maybe you should play fox for a while until you can do as well with him. gotta start somewhere.

idea

Smash Master
lol now i feel bad. <3 you velynn...just like...do more approachey/cool stuff. it's more fun and people complain a lot less.

also how come you hardly ever rest people? just curious. you kept getting reads that looked like you were gonna rest, then you would fair or something.

Velynn

Smash Journeyman
Nah it's all good. I'm past the "puff is gay/campy/easy/boring" comments and in reality you are right in it being pretty dull to watch. I usually name search once a week if things are slow or to respond to someone I've been chatting with and just happened to catch yours.

My fox is a WIP, I just don't quite have the finger dexterity to do what I want yet. So until then I just gotta go with what I know to keep getting gas money to drive back home. I only really get to play puff the night before a tourney due to my roommate hating her more then myself so I do get a decent amount of non-spacey practice with fox so I might try my luck later on.

I prolly rest less then most, but in those matches I just hesitated since in earlier matches in the bracket I missed quite a few rests and sort of psyched myself out of it.

idea

Smash Master
yeah...there's nothing inherently wrong with being campy/gay...i just don't like it. and especially with puff, i have a thing where i'm way too concerned about playing in a way that is going to annoy other people, since in everything else in life i try not to annoy anyone...so i guess it bothers me to see others play puff in ways that will probably have that effect on people. even if i don't think those people are justified in that attitude.

but i mean, it's weird, cause then the logical answer is for me to just play someone else...but i'm not about to pick a different character just 'cause my opponents happen not to like this one.

puff might have the potential to be the other three, but she isn't easy, i wouldn't say that. people just need to learn that matchup.

try falco, he's fun =P

also holy crap when did i pass 3000 posts?

idea

Smash Master
yo kyle, you should eat like these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqNkYED1FxQ
"Not going to lie, all I see are massive **** suckers
PHDhardstyle"

lolol

honestly, i don't like most of the vegan/vegetarian culture. it can get pretty self-righteous at times. i just am one cause we have the same values. if there were some other word i could use that had the same meaning but didn't associate me with stuff like this, i would call myself that.

on the other hand whatever they made doesn't look too bad <_<

if you guys don't like the character, then don't play her........

you should play who you like.
i agree. it's a video game, after all.

velynn, just do what sauc3 does, go whoever you want first match and if you lose go jiggs :laugh:

weon - X

Smash Ace
i agree with mr 522 but the problem is the haters :S people asking you to change character is kinda gay

i like the fox - jiggs match up, so you guys dont have to worry about me hating :D

Rikana

Smash Champion
So I just found out something. That talk about Triforce (the guy that lined up to get a nintendo 3ds), I found out that he's Justin Wong's manager lol. The Justin Wong that's known for SSF4.

idea

Smash Master
i kinda like fox jiggs too...i mean, from both sides. it feels a lot easier to hit jiggs with fox than the other way around. it's kind of relaxing having so little to think about =P

but i don't think i'd like it in tournament just cause it'd so easy to die by my mistakes.

(and it's fun for jiggs too cause of her ridiculous punishes when she actually does get a hit in)

Cemetery

Smash Apprentice
How many years did it take for you guys to become good?

Each time I play, it seems like I'm regressing and getting worse. Feels bad man.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I'll be there hopefully

EDIT: Over an hour away from where I am staying sooo. Unless someone from Oakville can come get me (I'll pay gas money) I doubt I'll be able to go. Cell # is 727-631-2160 hit me up if you can get me. Would greatly appreciate it.

idea

Smash Master
EDIT: Over an hour away from where I am staying sooo. Unless someone from Oakville can come get me (I'll pay gas money) I doubt I'll be able to go. Cell # is 727-631-2160 hit me up if you can get me. Would greatly appreciate it.
it's over an hour away from most people that go...just get there early enough that it's worthwhile. (unless it's a parents thing)

KirbyKaze posting

Smashfest at my house on thursday

Come if you want to or can
i'll most likely be there. probably around 6:00 due to classes.

How many years did it take for you guys to become good?

Each time I play, it seems like I'm regressing and getting worse. Feels bad man.
how is anyone supposed to answer this question without sounding arrogant =P

Cemetery

Smash Apprentice
how is anyone supposed to answer this question without sounding arrogant =P
Just give me an honest answer. I'm feeling seriously discouraged.

I've been playing for 7 months or so, ever since I dropped Brawl permanently.

I know it's not a long time, but this is why I'm asking.

idea

Smash Master
Just give me an honest answer. I'm feeling seriously discouraged.

I've been playing for 7 months or so, ever since I dropped Brawl permanently.

I know it's not a long time, but this is why I'm asking.
the problem is that that questions asks people to identify themselves as good.

anyway, as a vague answer, not related to myself, i'm gonna say 1-2 years. i started being pleased with my skill level after about 2 years, put it that way.

meh, but sometimes people put in more effort and improve faster...i mean, try to just focus on improving personally, not on the relative skill levels of the people around you.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
who are you skully? im being serious i dont go to toronto smashfests cuz i don't live in the area lol unless you go by other aliases...

idea

Smash Master
yeah, again, i'mma host over the summer. weekdays don't work during the year, and weekends are often full of homework/last minute essay-writing/smash at other places.

i do miss having you guys over though.

in other news, my psp can now emulate stuff. i just need to actually put emulators on it. =)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Skully: I'll let you know when I get good.

edit:

More serious answer.

I'd say that me and Imadh got good in about 2 years. We played a lot in our various communities and had several training partners and rivals at the time (Mike, coolhat, Daniel, Nate, Jake, James, etc). This was also around 2007, which was what I affectionately refer to as "The Technical Revolution", when a lot of the commonplace tactics we see today (actual pillars, Peach's fast pressure, low pressure, etc.) were born. So there was a massive information dump in that year (M2K being the best helped because it became kind of cool to know stuff) so a lot of learning was going on at a level that was a bit higher than practicing your basic tech skills. Gayness was becoming widespread, and gayer strategies were becoming the norm.

During that time, we had my biweeklies to go to, semi-frequent tournaments (and a few big tournament series run by good TOs at nice venues) and a lot more general interest in the game. This, plus the power ranking, generated a lot of drive to make people want to improve. We were also younger and a bit more absorbed in our egos; people got really salty about losing stuff. I also tend to think the skill gap was less daunting to the up & comers; nowadays it's a nightmare (not to toot my own horn or anything).

We also had top level competition that was a step above us to beat us up and remind us that we weren't that good, no matter how good we got. Quebec. And later the states. So there was never satisfaction even if one reached the top spot on our local PR because Quebec would still come to town and take our money.

So in these very good, near-ideal conditions that promoted drive and growth, with consistent practice, constant tournament attendance (some slips but relative consistency; certainly better than now), and some decent talent towards the game (I think Imadh and myself have some talent) it took us 2 years to get good. And then another to get good at being good.

In short... this game is stupidly hard to learn. I think there's like a handful of people in this community who are skilled and the rest of you are still... facing some serious gameplay problems right now.

Izek

Smash Cadet
Well Skully, I feel you shouldn't give up or get discouraged just because you feel you are not getting better. Also, I know many or most of you don't know who i am lol.. but I'm a new smasher to the community. In fact i've only started to become active last year august But, even then i still played smash for awhile but i cant really say how long it takes but i will agree with idea with that 1- 2 years of playing the game. But skully even though you lose to me and Reis or get beat you shouldn't give up. Remember you have to get your butt kicked in order to get better :D.

Last edited:
Top Bottom