• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

sauc3

Smash Lord
this is my petition for permission for the use of the "N" word

what do ya'll say my brothas?

(only black members can vote on this by simply quoting this and saying yay or nay)
this just seems so innocent and sincere haha

just say b, or guy, or pal, or buddy, buddy.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I'm not your buddy guy.

I need a smash name. It should involve pokemon in someway. Or I dunno classic rock.

Byped

Smash Cadet
I'm not too sensitive nor bothered. I just thought I was being poked so I figured I'd poke back. From what I've seen, you guys are pretty good but different so this summer should be fun! No hard feelings an I meant nO offense to anyone, but I don't think unknown was offended. Like I said, you guys seem nice an I can't wait to get back here and play more of you. I may poof for a bit but pm if you need me!

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
LMAO

wow this thread went fast recently.

also, about racism, i'm so like, unaware of its offensive side. it really doesn't bother me at all. like, you could call me chink and it wouldn't matter lol. i don't see what it means. it's just a word. words are conditioned with meaning through experience, and can mean anything through different perspectives. i don't mean to offend anyone, but that's just how i feel

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
I'm stumped, and I really don't know what to do...

I started watching an anime, it's 26 episodes long in it's first season. I watched 4 episodes of said anime...and got confused by the 5th...after finding out the anime continuously loops the same scenario but with different ways it could end (all of them are murder), I gradually am feeling like...dirty watching it loool. Here's the review I read...

----------------------------------------------------

Watching Higurshi is like locking a group of happy people in a test chamber, only coming back to find they've hacked each other into a bloody mess. Its horrific, its shocking, and yet a part of you, cannot help but wonder, how did it happen?

The curiosity takes over... and so you repeat the experiment, knowing full well that those cute looking teenagers you just sent are going to end up as bloody pulps. But hey, at least each time they die, you're one step closer to figuring out why they died, it's all good.

Higurashi essentially places you in the role of the scientist. It divides itself into several arcs, each of which begin exactly the same. A teenager moves into a remote countryside village, and befriends a group of sweet fangirls that could have come out right from a harem rom/com. Then, explicably, thing go wrong... very wrong.

The pacing is excellent, the suspence pulpable. You know terrible things are going to happen, but you don't know exactly what. Higurashi would appeal to two types of people. The maglomanics who cackle madly in seeing a happy community descend into the depth of oblivion, and the curious scientist who watched each arc with intense interest... for they want to know exact *why* everything goes wrong (though they can also cackle madly just a little).

The true draw of Higurashi is the mystery. The series will leave you guessing, postulating all manner of reasons why the sweetest girl in the class is now butchering every child in sight with a giant cleaver. Each experiment you run (arc you see) reveals a few more clues, and you formulate a new theory, only to find it shattered by another totally unexpected horror in the very same arc. The beauty of Higurashi is that a mystery of such grand scale, every detail is meticulous, and while every bloody event seems random at first, they all eventually fall into place

Not only are the characters are memorable, and filled with interesting secrets, and unlike school days, they're actually also extreme likeable. This is no small achievements, given that they're portrayed doing everything from ripping nails of off each other to nailing 9 year girls on a cross.

Higurashi is really the pinnacle of a dark mystery. You'll start off the mad scientist, watching those innocents in the test chamber with morbid curiosity. Yet, slowly, that morbid curiosity will be transformed into sympathy, and as you fall in love these victims, that initial curiosity will into turn a genuine desire to figure out whats going on so that they can be saved.

---------------------------------

In the first 4 episodes we've had people make friends, a question was asked...that potentially broke some ties when they lied about the answer...Secrecy, multiple attempts at murder of the friend by his friends...(including putting needles in his food) then finally an end all be all showdown where he beats his two female friends to death with a baseball bat after they try to drug him then him; then killing himself by digging into his own throat with his nails...

I'm going to bed....

Ministry

Smash Ace
this sounds awesome James.

il add it to the list of anime you gave me. im currently finishing basilisk and starting elfen lied or code geass. I have not decided which though. :/

sauc3

Smash Lord
yo ryan, mike has to drive into hamilton to pick people up for the smashfest, so there's a chance that when you get there he may not be around (tho the door might be open lulz so there's that)

try and aim for 2ish to be safe, he has to pick up quite a few people.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I'm stumped, and I really don't know what to do...

I started watching an anime, it's 26 episodes long in it's first season. I watched 4 episodes of said anime...and got confused by the 5th...after finding out the anime continuously loops the same scenario but with different ways it could end (all of them are murder), I gradually am feeling like...dirty watching it loool. Here's the review I read...

----------------------------------------------------

Watching Higurshi is like locking a group of happy people in a test chamber, only coming back to find they've hacked each other into a bloody mess. Its horrific, its shocking, and yet a part of you, cannot help but wonder, how did it happen?

The curiosity takes over... and so you repeat the experiment, knowing full well that those cute looking teenagers you just sent are going to end up as bloody pulps. But hey, at least each time they die, you're one step closer to figuring out why they died, it's all good.

Higurashi essentially places you in the role of the scientist. It divides itself into several arcs, each of which begin exactly the same. A teenager moves into a remote countryside village, and befriends a group of sweet fangirls that could have come out right from a harem rom/com. Then, explicably, thing go wrong... very wrong.

The pacing is excellent, the suspence pulpable. You know terrible things are going to happen, but you don't know exactly what. Higurashi would appeal to two types of people. The maglomanics who cackle madly in seeing a happy community descend into the depth of oblivion, and the curious scientist who watched each arc with intense interest... for they want to know exact *why* everything goes wrong (though they can also cackle madly just a little).

The true draw of Higurashi is the mystery. The series will leave you guessing, postulating all manner of reasons why the sweetest girl in the class is now butchering every child in sight with a giant cleaver. Each experiment you run (arc you see) reveals a few more clues, and you formulate a new theory, only to find it shattered by another totally unexpected horror in the very same arc. The beauty of Higurashi is that a mystery of such grand scale, every detail is meticulous, and while every bloody event seems random at first, they all eventually fall into place

Not only are the characters are memorable, and filled with interesting secrets, and unlike school days, they're actually also extreme likeable. This is no small achievements, given that they're portrayed doing everything from ripping nails of off each other to nailing 9 year girls on a cross.

Higurashi is really the pinnacle of a dark mystery. You'll start off the mad scientist, watching those innocents in the test chamber with morbid curiosity. Yet, slowly, that morbid curiosity will be transformed into sympathy, and as you fall in love these victims, that initial curiosity will into turn a genuine desire to figure out whats going on so that they can be saved.

---------------------------------

In the first 4 episodes we've had people make friends, a question was asked...that potentially broke some ties when they lied about the answer...Secrecy, multiple attempts at murder of the friend by his friends...(including putting needles in his food) then finally an end all be all showdown where he beats his two female friends to death with a baseball bat after they try to drug him then him; then killing himself by digging into his own throat with his nails...

I'm going to bed....
tl;dr

All I have to say is...bible black yo.

Sanu

Smash Champion
i saw the first half of the first season like 3 years ago, before i stopped watching anime hah. it's pretty good

idea

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBUfw7y4nI&t=1m30s

how come PP can keep shining Yay without him getting out of it? y'know how sometimes someone misses a tech, and you shine them with falco, and they just kind of fly away out of hitstun...and if it's a level 9 they nair you right away...

i'm guessing that that happens when you shine them and they're still bouncing in the air after the missed tech.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
this is my petition for permission for the use of the "N" word

what do ya'll say my brothas?

(only black members can vote on this by simply quoting this and saying yay or nay)
i actually laughed out loud, that was funny. i don't laugh at forum posts ever, probably cause i have no soul.
LMAO

wow this thread went fast recently.

also, about racism, i'm so like, unaware of its offensive side. it really doesn't bother me at all. like, you could call me chink and it wouldn't matter lol. i don't see what it means. it's just a word. words are conditioned with meaning through experience, and can mean anything through different perspectives. i don't mean to offend anyone, but that's just how i feel
and you are asexual
all of these posts are amazing loll i was gonna reply to all of them but im lazy so instead i'll just leave them here.

and no camillo, u can't say *****, n!gga.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Kyle its because Yay isnt actually grounded when he gets its. if you watch closely you'll see that he's bouncing in there air upon contact with the shine.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Eh. Kind of twinky. But maybe.

JPOBS (and others)

The bounce still counts the player as being on the ground. Whether you hit them out of bounce is just an animation formality. I have a few theories of what the bounce's significance is, but for this it's totally irrelevant.

When you hit someone out of their non-tech animation with a move that sends with an upwards trajectory and it does 7% or greater, they fly up in stun like they would if they were hit in the air. Simple enough. You wanna check? D-throw a CPU Falcon with Falco him and Shine him off the ground as your first move (freshness matters). He'll get launched.

However, it changes when your move does 6% or less. The game decides that's not enough damage for your move to launch. Why? Who knows. I think this is their twist on the 64 OTG mechanic but that's another matter entirely. Either way, they fly up as if they jumped. They have total control of their character (minus the momentum affecting their air control). If you wanna check, stale your Shine a bunch (~3-4 times), then D-throw that same Falcon and Shine him off the ground. He'll just fly up.

This happens with Falco a lot because people use the Shine to tech chase the non-tech almost every time. His combos are setup from Shine, too, so it's easy for it to get staled below the 7% threshold. That it starts at 8% is also a factor; it doesn't take much to drop below 7%. You can also observe this phenomenon easily with Sheik's F-tilt, though it's less common for a few reasons.

weon - X

Smash Ace
yeah that would happen to me allot when i would see somebody not tech above me in a platform and i would shine right away, and then that thing happened so i switched from punishing that with shine to uairs or wait for them to roll or get up

JPOBS

Smash Hero
cool thanks again david. im pretty sure all the falcos no it subconsciously but no oe bothrs to keep track of move staleness in melee

edit: i reposted it in the falco boards anyway cuz knowledge is powah

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
They're usually at Zef's house or my condominium.
wat. Where do you guys live? Get the other 2 down, and I might come to a fest. Mad busy tho, so it's iffy.

All these fest, wish I could've made a few of them. :(

Damn, James' is still active after that tourny? Shiii you might be back. :mad: ofcourse people come back to the scene when I'm logjammed on a return, if that happens again.

Kyle, I saw your AN question, I'm staff again this year, and I'll say that smash is probable to be there. Don't quote me on that later, 'cause ****s still in progress. Unfortunately, I don't control the strings like I would like to. Y'all know I do work for the smash scene when I can.

Charles, my bad I couldn't show up last time you had a fest. I would've since I was in your area too, it's just I forgot. I saw the housing offer, if that was done for me I appreciated it though I couldn't make it. Maybe another time, I can come and see you guys (bernard, ryan and you).

Sup Toronto.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Last year it was Friday, tbh I would say Friday again. Though, Saturday there was mad friendlies, but that's because the barwl tournament was running behind schedule (128 bracket in a room of 500 and no microphone x_x) so Smash will be around. IF there is an all-night gaming then there would be smash there and then too.

Don't come to AN for smash if that's your plan, if you're going for the con and smash, then by all means.

Top Bottom