• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

idea

Smash Master
nah, i already have an all-weekend pass. i had fun wandering around when i went with smashers two years ago, but i kept thinking i wanted to see more stuff, and i kept hearing about stuff i'd already missed. plus the difference is $15 for two extra days.

all night gaming sounds awesome...i guess i'd need to track down someone who'd let me sleep in their hotel room for that, though. (i mean, no sleep would be fun at first but it would suck being exhausted the whole next day)

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I played on the 3DS for a bit, it's weird lol. How is it so far? I only played it when they had a couple of them for demo plays @ sq1.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol yeah I guess :3

They called me that it was ready, I'm not gonna complain. It's kinda cool so far, a lot of the games are kinda gimmicky.

There are some functions that you need to unlock by doing the street-pass thing to get tokens that you can then use to buy thing... so that is kinda ********.

It's fun though. Interesting to try all the new stuff.

Windrose

Smash Lord
nah, i already have an all-weekend pass. i had fun wandering around when i went with smashers two years ago, but i kept thinking i wanted to see more stuff, and i kept hearing about stuff i'd already missed. plus the difference is $15 for two extra days.

all night gaming sounds awesome...i guess i'd need to track down someone who'd let me sleep in their hotel room for that, though. (i mean, no sleep would be fun at first but it would suck being exhausted the whole next day)
Kyle, you needa bring a camera. I do it every year. Just follow the girls and take pics of them. No one will think you are a creeper! It's complimentary! PS: who are you going with to AN?

Last year it was Friday, tbh I would say Friday again. Though, Saturday there was mad friendlies, but that's because the barwl tournament was running behind schedule (128 bracket in a room of 500 and no microphone x_x) so Smash will be around. IF there is an all-night gaming then there would be smash there and then too.

Don't come to AN for smash if that's your plan, if you're going for the con and smash, then by all means.
Do you happen to know the situation with setups? Last year there weren't any lag free tvs for melee....I (we) could bring setups if you need them? I dunno....just wondering

idea

Smash Master
my cousin and a few of her friends. well, for one day. for the other two days i have no plan =P i suppose on friday i'll hang around with smashers mostly.

also i think you're supposed to ask girls to take their picture...

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Oh hey, I forgot there was SSBM at Anime North (I stopped playing for a while so I missed it last year). I'm not part of the staff/volunteer team but I would totally stay for all night gaming if we have a TV or two with Melee. I also have a hotel room in Doubletree though I'm not sure if we'll have extra space yet.

btw, I'm guessing some of you guys are going to the tourney next weekend? There's a slight chance that I'll come with a few of the smashers from UofT but it's sort of a messy time of year.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Oh hey, I forgot there was SSBM at Anime North (I stopped playing for a while so I missed it last year). I'm not part of the staff/volunteer team but I would totally stay for all night gaming if we have a TV or two with Melee. I also have a hotel room in Doubletree though I'm not sure if we'll have extra space yet.

btw, I'm guessing some of you guys are going to the tourney next weekend? There's a slight chance that I'll come with a few of the smashers from UofT but it's sort of a messy time of year.
There's a tourney next weekend?

Oh, is that Nightmare's thing? lol

EDIT: Just in case people were wondering, or forgot...

There is a tournament THIS COMING WEEKEND (April 2nd) in BRAMPTON: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297597

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Kyle, you needa bring a camera. I do it every year. Just follow the girls and take pics of them. No one will think you are a creeper! It's complimentary! PS: who are you going with to AN?
I'd like to think that the asking was implied....

:urg:
he said "just follow the girls" LOL

haha for sure. i mean in theory it'll be in one room. labeled the 'gaming room' or some such thing.
thing is no one ever stays in that room lol. i know last year i was in there for a while and no one showed that i knew so i thought no one was there but josh and SD were there (when i left and went to other buildings lol) so i didn't play them =( atleast not in singles i don't think. (there was only 1 setup iirc)

Windrose

Smash Lord
Is there anything out there that discusses the ergonomics of playing smash? For example: how to hold a controller properly, how to press buttons and etc.

I ask this because I've developed some bad hand cramps lately from extended periods of using the gamecube controller. I'm probably pressing the buttons to harshly and it's not good for your hand.

Bing

Smash Master
Is there anything out there that discusses the ergonomics of playing smash? For example: how to hold a controller properly, how to press buttons and etc.

I ask this because I've developed some bad hand cramps lately from extended periods of using the gamecube controller. I'm probably pressing the buttons to harshly and it's not good for your hand.
Yeah its Called put down the controller!

nah man but seriously, I agree, I get wrist cramps and **** lmao
its kind of embarassing XD

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I like this topic.

I used to get that too, I felt that it was how stiff my hold on the controller + how much stress I put into command. But most of it comes from repetitive actions from playing.

You should just play less, I know that sounds dumb but I feel that it helps restore that hunger to play smash. I know my tech skill is threefold when I'm hungry to play smash lol.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
imo, coming from having played piano, and other common sense logic, if you hold your controller in the neutral position, and have an average lengthed thumb, then it's best to use the buttons X, A, B, and c-stick with the right thumb, right index on Z, and right middle on R. it's best to avoid using Y due to the extra effort needed to reach for the Y, as well as the extra strain needed to move from Y to A/B/c-stick in rapid succession.

however, what i said above excludes clawing (which isn't that ergonomic due to strain on index), and what i said may not be best for gameplay, but for ergonomics it is.

if referring to ergonomics as in reducing hand strain, then it's really important to be playing in neutral position. the reason being, the controller's grip is shaped quite nicely to support neutral position of the hand, reducing any chances of carpel tunnel.

like shine-> aerials -> repeat, for instance, is best doing B (down on left hand, but only referring to right hand for sake of explanation), slide over A -> press X -> slide to cstick -> B -> slide over A -> X, repeat.

reason is cuz everything is within comfortable reach of the thumb, and using Y is extra effort. however, again, this is only to maximize button efficiency, hand position neutrality, and comfort, not to maximize gameplay. there ar e MANY people who press Y in rapid inputs without straining, but that probably took some getting used to, whether they noticed or not.

long explanation but i'm in the explaining mood studying for my molecular bio midterm looooool

feel free to give feedback =D

edit:

sorry for the huge bias on the right hand, since the right hand has a lot more buttons to cover. however, not everyone uses R/Z over L or whatever. i recall hungrybox telling me at pound how he uses Z for bair and then Z again for the L-cancel. but for the sake of thoroughness:

it's best to use left thumb on the control stick, and left middle finger on the L trigger, reason being, that using left index on the L trigger requires additional strain in stretching it downward. rather than the right middle finger naturally covering that spot anyways.

note: there is huge bias from me towards gc controllers, as i love them and think that it's built incredibly ergonomically intelligent. the fact that the A button is big and round for easy access, and X curved to the side, and B being a smaller button as well is so smart. traditionally A is the dominant button (like back in that really old system... the SNES i think? where all you got was a joystick and one single button), so it's bigger than the rest, as it is the most important button, and the secondary buttons being smaller, but just as accessible. when someone looks at the gc controller, they should reaslise immediately A means confirm, or is an important button. i know when i first used a playstation controller, i had no idea what was confirm and what was go back. all the buttons were of equal size and implied equal importance/usage lol. but that's just my thinking.

note 2: none of this is literature correct. it's just me using speculation on what i've learned/studied for ergonomics (in school, working out, hurtin gmy back a few times in life, etc), and common sense. it's really little bias towards how i personally use the controller, since i learned it on this basis, LOL, and i play a somewhat technical fox... i don't know you guys can judge my gameplay yourselves lol

note 3: i really enjoyed this explanation LOL, hope ppl agree/give feedback. i've been waiting a while to answer this question on the boards, as i tell this a lot to ppl in person x)

i know ryan ford disagrees loooooooooooooooooool

edit 2: kurtis i see you lurking. and that reminds me, it still AMAZES me how you can use up on control stick to shuffl loooooool

Rikana

Smash Champion
Triforce is a big nintendo fan. He was the first in line for the Nintendo Wii as well I think. He was lining up for the 3DS since Tuesday(?)

Rikana

Smash Champion
I wanna play Mortal Kombat 9.

So badly.

It even has 2v2s in it. This will make the game really interesting since you never really have a fighting game with teams built into it; you would sort of have to come up with a ruleset to have "teams" like ssf4 but mortal kombat 9 is a different case. I don't exactly know what they mean by 2v2s though. There's a tag team mode (choose 2 characters vs 2 characters) and then there's tag team mode where each person can control 1 character. I doubt all 4 will be on screen at the same time.

Regardless, I want MK9. Kratos looks so awesome in the ps3 version.

Edit: anyone planning on getting it?

Top Bottom