• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
anyone going to Lets Brawl Toronto?
im going since thiers a melee set up lol.
no brawls for sots.

moozles

Smash Cadet
I was going to go to Let's Brawl Toronto, but I found out I had some report due on Monday -.-

idea

Smash Master
i'm down for let's brawl toronto if enough other melee people are. no reason we can't bring additional melee setups either =D

(plus i visited york mills once, and there were a bunch of attractive girls...i can only assume there still are 2 years later)

worldjem7

Smash Ace
So, let me get this straight...

We currently have 3 events going on, on the SAME DAY this Saturday, that I am aware of:

1) CAST4
2) Sylar's Cambridge
3) Let's Brawl Toronto

Now, is Sylar's stuff still happening? Because if it is when why not go to his house for Melee instead of bothering LBT? Unless we want to bail out Eugene which would result in at least half (if not most) of us going (because York Mills is closer than Cambridge) for the Melee setups which would split the people between Sylar and LBT for Melee.

I don't know who's going to CAST4. All I know about who's going to CAST4 is that some of the MTLers are going. I'm not sure who exactly but, I think I heard PKMVodka was going.

So, what's going on? Who's going where? And what's happening?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sylar come by tomorrow around 2 if possible. Otherwise I don't care when you show up but that's just most convenient for me (I want to work through some school stuff in the morning/early afternoon).

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvQtItgznQM

haven't watched this yet, but, uh...super metroid in 12 minutes.

edit: what?!
Yeah this stuff is crazy, there is so much you have to do to get that time. aside from crazy timing and positioning of bombs and shots. Like:

Arm pumping, when you L-R constantly, it moves Samus ahead one pixel so you can run faster.

Sub-pixel-positioning getting items and getting stuck in doors.

and Thus x-ray climbing technique to get into Tourian, climbing something like 11-14 screens and jumping in near the middle of the screen.

Mockball, to get faster rolling speeds, you run at top speed jump, push down while in the air to look down, press down when you hit the ground and forward to roll.

Spike jumping, where you flip into something that will hurt you, before hitting you return the d-pad to a neutral position then during the getting hurt animation you hold the opposite direction to flip back really far.

there is so much **** you can do in that game. That save thing he did, it has something to do with the game data, where it saves the rooms you can go to through other rooms, saved in a variable, the room that he dies in has changed that value to what a value he needs to be able to skip that part.

If you want to read more on it, http://forum.metroid2002.com/index.php/topic,6016.msg166883.html#msg166883 is the original person who found this method out I think, I am not sure if he did this one too, but at the least he inspired it I think. www.metroid2002.com for crazy other techniques.

worldjem7

Smash Ace

Tales of the Abyss
Game, Anime, Jail-bait... with fire.

From reading david's post I'm guessing Sylar's thing this Saturday isn't happening anymore.

LBT @ York Mills it is. School might back me out of it, though.

idea

Smash Master
Yeah this stuff is crazy, there is so much you have to do to get that time. aside from crazy timing and positioning of bombs and shots. Like:

Arm pumping, when you L-R constantly, it moves Samus ahead one pixel so you can run faster.

Sub-pixel-positioning getting items and getting stuck in doors.

and Thus x-ray climbing technique to get into Tourian, climbing something like 11-14 screens and jumping in near the middle of the screen.

Mockball, to get faster rolling speeds, you run at top speed jump, push down while in the air to look down, press down when you hit the ground and forward to roll.

Spike jumping, where you flip into something that will hurt you, before hitting you return the d-pad to a neutral position then during the getting hurt animation you hold the opposite direction to flip back really far.

there is so much **** you can do in that game. That save thing he did, it has something to do with the game data, where it saves the rooms you can go to through other rooms, saved in a variable, the room that he dies in has changed that value to what a value he needs to be able to skip that part.

If you want to read more on it, http://forum.metroid2002.com/index.php/topic,6016.msg166883.html#msg166883 is the original person who found this method out I think, I am not sure if he did this one too, but at the least he inspired it I think. www.metroid2002.com for crazy other techniques.
well, i already knew about mockball and spike jumping (though i didn't know it was called that)...i watched the world record single-segment speedrun of super metroid (dunno if it still stands as the record) and tried doing it myself for a while. then for most of grade 12 i would come home, start and finish super metroid, then get to my homework. not to get better at it, just cause i actually enjoyed playing it that often.

save thing i wasn't sure about, but i had a feeling it was manipulating variables to his advantage or something similar.

i didn't know how the arm-pumping thing worked until he explained it in a comment somewhere.

and that wall-jumping part to get to the speed booster section, that's next to impossible in realtime =P i've tried it enough times. i usually just get to the save room's door and run and jump across from there.

yeah, i guess it was surprising to me as an overall thing rather than the individual tricks. i might even have seen it before...

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
well, i already knew about mockball and spike jumping (though i didn't know it was called that)...i watched the world record single-segment speedrun of super metroid (dunno if it still stands as the record) and tried doing it myself for a while. then for most of grade 12 i would come home, start and finish super metroid, then get to my homework. not to get better at it, just cause i actually enjoyed playing it that often.

save thing i wasn't sure about, but i had a feeling it was manipulating variables to his advantage or something similar.

i didn't know how the arm-pumping thing worked until he explained it in a comment somewhere.

and that wall-jumping part to get to the speed booster section, that's next to impossible in realtime =P i've tried it enough times. i usually just get to the save room's door and run and jump across from there.

yeah, i guess it was surprising to me as an overall thing rather than the individual tricks. i might even have seen it before...
Yay, someone who plays Super Metroid! I thought about trying to do a speed run, but I never really got that into it. After I saw that guys video, I wanted to make one to improve upon it, but I guess there is really not much else I can do now. But I still play it from time to time.

On a side note, not sure if you ever watched Zelda: ALttP speedrun, Wak has the WR for the 100% one segment. It was amusing to watch.

idea

Smash Master
Yay, someone who plays Super Metroid! I thought about trying to do a speed run, but I never really got that into it. After I saw that guys video, I wanted to make one to improve upon it, but I guess there is really not much else I can do now. But I still play it from time to time.

On a side note, not sure if you ever watched Zelda: ALttP speedrun, Wak has the WR for the 100% one segment. It was amusing to watch.
wow, really? that's pretty cool. i'll watch that later. for super metroid...first of all i don't have it for snes. at first i used lots of savestates to copy the wr (yeah, this is much easier to say) run, but after a while i found i could do it without. iirc my best time is 52 minutes (single segment), on emulator but without using any extra emulator tricks. oh, and i didn't know about the arm pumping trick at that point. not recorded though =P oh, and i did some things slightly differently if they were too easy to screw up. i never did that...super missile and shinespark right after thing to go through doors cause i could never get the timing down. so rooms like that i just did the slow way. and i think i usually got one or two more energy tanks than needed to be safe...and so on.

yeah, i suppose you could improve on it, since he made some big mistakes...but that's not so fun unless you do something original too. ever played super metroid redesign?

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah, i suppose you could improve on it, since he made some big mistakes...but that's not so fun unless you do something original too. ever played super metroid redesign?
No, I don't really want to play Super Metroid on a keyboard...I will probably try it after I get my Pandora. You've heard of Metroid SR388 right?

Top Bottom