• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
For real Mog. Quit being such a stick in the mud.
:applejack:

Besides, I'd probably be more inclined to agree with you you if Riot didn't make the cast's death cries sound just as "disturbing" half of the time.

...Ah who am I kiddin'? You're just a rickety old man.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's exactly why he's so disturbed by it, and quite frankly why I am the same.

Of course it's entirely possible that for those familar with where the sounds came from it isn't quite so disturbing because you associate it with the scenes from the source material, but out of context it's just yeesh.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Point taken, I shall unsubscribe and yall can troll me and laugh about **** all you want. I shan't stand in the way of your fun anymore.
Except it's not about **** at all. No one was laughing about ****.

You're fixating too much on a problem that's not even there. lol

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i just figured it was from some anime shenanigans, which could be just about anything
also i didn't know squid girl had an english dub
also is that anime actually good? I haven't watched it because it's about a girl who's a squid

MrEh

Smash Hero
It was actually pretty good compared to all the other crap that was airing at the time

I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The general formula is

Anime + Ocean Themes = Puns puns puns puns puns puns puns = Enjoyable

And "No thanks" "gotta go", kinda don't seem overtly "female getting *****".
The "GET OFF OF ME" .... yeah. There was probably more tasteful voice clips to snip

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Except it's not about **** at all. No one was laughing about ****.

You're fixating too much on a problem that's not even there. lol
Divorced from the context it is, but there's a reason why one of the top comments on your youtube video and the top comment on your reddit thread refer to it. Look bro I know that wasn't where you're trying to go, but I very few people who haven't seen the series (or is at least familar with it) will draw any other conclusion, so my suggestion would be retooling the lines so it doesn't have that disturbing connotation to those of of us who haven't seen it? Especially the "call the police line", that's just gravy.

edit:
The general formula is

Anime + Ocean Themes = Puns puns puns puns puns puns puns = Enjoyable

And "No thanks" "gotta go", kinda don't seem overtly "female getting *****".
The "GET OFF OF ME" .... yeah. There was probably more tasteful voice clips to snip
"No thanks", only really becomes an issue in context. "Gotta go" is fine, "get off of me" is yeesh, but the one that really got me was "I better call the police right away".

Granted that's technically fine independantly, but given her general tone and a number of otherwise ok comments it's just yeesh.

MrEh

Smash Hero
See, I appreciate civil responses like this. What I don't like is,

"You're all horrible people for liking this. You're all ****ed up. White knight white knight white knight"

In any case, I don't plan on updating the sound effects. It doesn't affect people who don't have the mod installed, and the people who do have it obviously have no qualms with it. We live in a world where Darius can smash people into gory pieces with his ult and no one cares, but enjoying a mod where Riven sounds scared makes us all messed up in the head.

ok

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
See, I appreciate civil responses like this. What I don't like is,

"You're all horrible people for liking this. You're all ****ed up. White knight white knight white knight"

In any case, I don't plan on updating the sound effects. It doesn't affect people who don't have the mod installed, and the people who do have it obviously have no qualms with it. We live in a world where Darius can smash people into gory pieces with his ult and no one cares, but enjoying a mod where Riven sounds scared makes us all messed up in the head.

ok
Well again it's that she sounds a particular type of scared and what you gotta realize is a fair number of people have a very viserial reaction to this kind of thing hence why I was doing my best to be civil but I disliked the ganging up on mod for apparently being the only one unfamilar with the source material besides me.

But I knew you didn't intend it that way and I def wasn't accusing you of being a bad person.

PS. Oh ya, I personally despise the term white knight, it's one of those great killers of civil discussion.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I know you don't think everyone is horrible bro.

PS. Oh ya, I personally despise the term white knight, it's one of those great killers of civil discussion.
Mogwai didn't need the help. He killed the civility on his own.

On a somewhat lighter note, I COULD make a tsundere Riven mod, but I'd have to find Zero no Tsukaima in English. Louise was the only super tsundere role that Christina Vee voiced iirc.

Granted, I could use Homura, but that's not really tsundere enough.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'd use 'em.

I'll probably patch my client tonight or tomorrow, since I'm planning on playing tonight. =P

Some of the audio clips, uh, aren't clipped properly (sometimes new sentences are started at the end of the sound file). Does that affect anything?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
not gonna lie at first i thought those were lines from some horror game staring generic scared female

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Not really.

He assumed it was about **** without even thinking about where it was from and who it was applied to. He kinda did assume it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Not really.

He assumed it was about **** without even thinking about where it was from and who it was applied to. He kinda did assume it.
He didn't say it was about ****, he all but said it implied it. There's a difference, he wasn't looking at intention he was looking at result and I think you're being profoundly unfair to him considering what a sensative topic it is.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
not gonna lie at first i thought those were lines from some horror game staring generic scared female
This is because a majority of voice acting in American anime dubs are awful. Westerners can't into 12 year olds conveying emotions without sounding ******** / stupendously awkward (obviously this isn't a 100% rule). It doesn't hurt that in Japan they get people of the right age groups to voice characters (as in, teenagers voicing teenagers). Unheard of elsewhere.

Take the voice clips used. 14/15 year old girl who's a side gag character who fears for her life from our Squid Girl. In terms of tone, Christina Vee basically chose to shriek down the microphone. Japanese comparison is what sounds comically (usually sarcastic overload) as 'cries'. Translations are ******* too. "GET OFF OF ME" rather than something similar to "Don't touch me" and "I'm going to call the cops right away" instead of "I'll report you to the authorities y'know". Usually "authorities" or similar words are punned in the original japanese for further comedic affect and English dubs just can't get past that.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
He didn't say it was about ****, he all but said it implied it. There's a difference, he wasn't looking at intention he was looking at result and I think you're being profoundly unfair to him considering what a sensative topic it is.
I'm not.

He assumed **** off the bat, this isn't like Superman x Big Barba which I find super offensive. Which directly implies **** very explicitly.

He knew nothing of the anime nor what other situations he could think it could apply to. The first thing he thought was ****, he assumed this from the start. What if it was Scared Riven? Or Riven who was not confident with battle? He right away went for the **** analogy.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm not.

He assumed **** off the bat, this isn't like Superman x Big Barba which I find super offensive. Which directly implies **** very explicitly.

He knew nothing of the anime nor what other situations he could think it could apply to. The first thing he thought was ****, he assumed this from the start. What if it was Scared Riven? Or Riven who was not confident with battle? He right away went for the **** analogy.
Difference between intent and how it appears to the observer RR, he made no presumption of judging intent, he analyzed based on the information that he was given, what it evooked to him. Given that I came up with the same conclusion and both the reddit thread and the youtube video feature high rated comments that have the same impression (first and second highest rated when last I looked) it is an entirely reasonable analysis of the impression it gives and given that I'm reasonably well versed in anime it seems unreasonable to expect your average person to be familar with the context.

Pretty much anything has some context where it's acceptable, but when it's something that provokes such a visceral reaction as this it's the responsability of the artist to establish the context.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Difference between intent and how it appears to the observer RR, he made no presumption of judging intent, he analyzed based on the information that he was given, what it evooked to him. Given that I came up with the same conclusion and both the reddit thread and the youtube video feature high rated comments that have the same impression (first and second highest rated when last I looked) it is an entirely reasonable analysis of the impression it gives and given that I'm reasonably well versed in anime it seems unreasonable to expect your average person to be familar with the context.

Pretty much anything has some context where it's acceptable, but when it's something that provokes such a visceral reaction as this it's the responsability of the artist to establish the context.
Yeah but Mog off the bat dropped ****.

He didn't even consider if anything else would be why she was acting that way. None of this really changes the fact him and others jumped to that conclusion off their own assumptions.

He can say we are all trolls and unsubscribe but he got offended because something he thought implied ****, when he in reality has no clue what that mod really was. He jumped to a conclusion and made himself offended from that.

I find **** not even remotely funny nor acceptable to use as something to use for a story unless handled in an adult manor, but to me and others that wasn't even close to the first assumption for what it meant.

One of my close friends dealt with that delicate subject to put is very very very mildly, , I never joke about **** because of that, so yeah I know where he is coming from. But being baw it's offensive off a mod ir ****ing childish when he didn't try to think of other viewpoints nor he tried to think of you know, it's not Annie, Lux, etc, you know where it would be an issue.

He jumped to the **** conclusion off the bat, I still stand to be his fault to get offended of that when he has no knowledge of where ti came from nor the context.

No, **** is not funny nor acceptable to mock. But Mog playing the moral high ground here is dumb.

MrEh

Smash Hero
^this

**** isn't funny. Obviously, I would never intentionally make a mod where it sounds like someone is getting *****. In my head, it just sounds like Riven is scared of something silly like Squid Girl.

There's a difference, he wasn't looking at intention he was looking at result and I think you're being profoundly unfair to him considering what a sensative topic it is
Him being upset is not the issue. The issue is when someone throws fits and calls people effed up when they don't agree with you.

"Uh, it's not about ****."

"YES IT IS YOU'RE ALL EFFED UP IN THE HEAD"

Classy.

Some of the audio clips, uh, aren't clipped properly (sometimes new sentences are started at the end of the sound file). Does that affect anything?
It probably will make it sound rather messy in all honesty. Not gonna lie, it was a rush job. Going into audacity or your audio editor of choice and cutting out the extra bits should be fairly easy though.

Or we can just wait until I get my hands on Season 2 of Squid Girl so I have more lines to work with. Now that the random guy figured out how to edit sound files, I'll probably make a version 2 of this mod since Season 2 of Squid Girl is full of lulzy lines. lol

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
^this

**** isn't funny. Obviously, I would never intentionally make a mod where it sounds like someone is getting *****. In my head, it just sounds like Riven is scared of something silly like Squid Girl.
And nobody ever said you did, mog only stated what it sounds like without knowledge of the source material. He didn't attribute making fun of **** to you, but he did generally accuse the thread of being insensative to how this comes across which is certainly not unfair given previous discussions of gender issues in this thread.

Yeah but Mog off the bat dropped ****.

He didn't even consider if anything else would be why she was acting that way. None of this really changes the fact him and others jumped to that conclusion off their own assumptions.

He can say we are all trolls and unsubscribe but he got offended because something he thought implied ****, when he in reality has no clue what that mod really was. He jumped to a conclusion and made himself offended from that.

I find **** not even remotely funny nor acceptable to use as something to use for a story unless handled in an adult manor, but to me and others that wasn't even close to the first assumption for what it meant.

One of my close friends dealt with that delicate subject to put is very very very mildly, , I never joke about **** because of that, so yeah I know where he is coming from. But being baw it's offensive off a mod ir ****ing childish when he didn't try to think of other viewpoints nor he tried to think of you know, it's not Annie, Lux, etc, you know where it would be an issue.

He jumped to the **** conclusion off the bat, I still stand to be his fault to get offended of that when he has no knowledge of where ti came from nor the context.

No, **** is not funny nor acceptable to mock. But Mog playing the moral high ground here is dumb.
I'm not saying you are, but because you are apparently really familar with the source material you're not even considering how it looks to people who aren't familar with it.

Given how it looks to everyone whose not familar with the source material and since the source material wasn't exactly shoved in the face of somebody looking at it, I don't see how you can fault mog for seeing it as insensative.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

Did Mog seriously leave the thread? Oh my god that'd be hilarious.
People these days, tsk.

Pic relevant to the discussion.
Oh, and for the Mogwais/averydumbrodeus out there, yes, that is indeed a stick in the mud. Just letting you know so you don't overreact. You could mistake it for a dirty phallic image. :applejack:

PS: For what it's worth, I had no idea where the audio was from myself. Had no idea if it was from an anime, a movie, a video game, whatever. I just laughed because it sounded absolutely hilarious. Besides, anyone with a brain would have more tact than to jump to a sex-based origin on these clips. They barely even resemble it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmf2PNmPjc#t=12s

Now this is somethin' straight out of some dirty, filthy smut.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Only played jungle Nunu today in ranked.
Twice I had a Morgana mid.
unstoppable Nunu ults da bess

Top Bottom