• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Wow, my post got deleted, what a shame...well all I was going to say was how disappointed I am at you for saying what you said because you are pretty much saying that league is all about living and breathing every aspect of it but honestly it just comes down to raw skill. Mango doesn't **** on you with Falcon because he studies your playstyle ;)
Another stupid thing.

"it just comes down to raw skill." Where the hell do you think skill comes from? We're not talking about prodigal talent (which Mango compounded by, guess what, practicing a lot and practicing more intelligently than other players). Why is it that pretty much ANY Korean pro team is better than, for instance, TSM? That doesn't come down to "lol Koreans are better at video games." It comes down to ****ing practice.

League is a game based MOSTLY on decision making, which comes from knowledge, which comes from experience and intentional acquisition. There are mechanical skills to be tested, which require practical training. You have to make decisions INSTANTLY while performing mechanical tasks UNCONSCIOUSLY which require... hey, lots of practice.

The development and understanding of strategies (especially in a game with tons of variables and lots of numerical tweaks and nudges from patching) requires constant effort. Korean teams are better because they put in more conscious effort toward learning and developing skills. They've also got managers (managers!!!) to do a lot of that analysis and big-picture decision making for them, so they don't have to spend time combing through data to see what champs are doing the best.

For God's sake, these pros play for like ten hours a day or something. They're already "living and breathing" the game. The question is HOW you spend that time; smurfing jungle Teemo on Nordic East, or studying lane matchups with the intent of improving how you play?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
For Mogwai.

Also, I like to learn specific lane match ups and whatnot, but I never seem to be able to look at the bigger picture because I tunnel in on certain character aspects and what have you.
I learned not to come here for advice on that because the last two times I've tried that, I got a response of "Use another character" or "you don't win."
It's not very constructive. :applejack:

bassem6

Smash Lord
stuff

TL/DR Americans are fat****s and are just not as good at League as anyone else right now and they need to work on individual skill before they think about joining another tournament and humiliate themselves.

Achievement Unlocked: Avoided studying for 30 minutes.......
lol you are kidding me right? Individual skill isnt the issue...They lack structure and other teams to practice against. Also regi is one of the better players on tsm...

What

smart stuff
Yes, I agree with this.

Okuser, you're like, the flamboyant version of jpak

go get'em tiger
lol funny comparison

Okuser

Smash Ace
PHP:
[PHP]
[/PHP]
Don't give a **** if HSGG is the owner of CL Gaming, everyone knows he is just an awful player and should not be on the team. They say their goal is to get into late game so jiji and doublelift can carry...of course that's their ****ing goal, get hotshot out of laning as soon as possible so he'll stop doing nothing...Here is the problem with the NA scene, the teams are terrible because of certain people on the teams, think about it. Take TSM, CLGNA, Curse, and Dignitas for examples. Line up all 20+ players and shoot Regi Chaox Dyrus Oddone Hotshot jiji chauster nyjacky saint westrice elementz patoy cop scarra crumbzz (shoot him twice to be safe) Qtpie and whoever the **** their support it (muffinqt?).

Basically you're left with Xpecial, doublelift, voyboy, IWdominate, and scarra (he is fat and lived through the shooting). There is your one and only one team that could even possibly come close to calling themselves a true team. Also note the NA Mid Lane scene is terrible and you have to use a guy who got shot because hes all you have.

So yea, the NA scene as a whole is terrible because no one here is as good as other players from other countries which is the exact trend it has always been for any game (except melee...).

Take any korean team, even the lesser known ones that are still insanely good, and mix and match the players, the end result is still the exact same as it was before the switches. NA scene is going to disappear faster than Scarra's 7-11 Big Gulp if people don't step up and start making new teams with new players and practicing.

Rainman was 100% correct, and I'll admit I thought he was going a little nuts when he said Solo queue is more important than ranked 5s but just consider it...If you were building a team of players would you want someone who is a team player or who makes plays for the team? As my soccer coach once said, you can't teach someone how to be a faster runner but you can teach them all the footwork needed to become a great soccer player. Likewise, you can't be a pro league player unless you know how to think quickly before you start playing. Sure, Crumbzz might know how to do everything a pro does and it has gotten him away with doing the bare minimum for awhile but soon enough all of these asain and euro teams are going to figure out these small tricks (in fact they are already doing this) and just blow all the US players out of the water. Imagine League as a 26 mile marathon. The Americans win for miles because no one else competing has learned how to run, but are rather crawling on four legs because it's all they know how to do. Once they look up they are all like, "Oh **** that is a much better way to move". So now the Koreans stand up and start running and they are behind so they need to learn how to run even faster, so they do, because it is the only way for them to actually catch up. Now all of the sudden at the 15 mile mark you see these Americans who at this point are pretty much just fast walking and HOLY **** here come these ****ing Koreans at like cheeta speed and now the American Fatasses are like wtffffff and everyone watching is like wtffffff and the Koreans are like wtffffff is wrong with these Americans...So the Americans start running again, toss their remaining Twix candy bars on the ground and gallop back to the pace they were at before they started walking. It takes a while to sink in but they eventually realize the reality of the situation. Not only did they never consider losing the race at their pace, they actually slowed down because they thought it wouldn't affect their individual placements. Sure the one American might walk a tad faster than the other just to ensure his slim victory, but once again he was satisfied with doing the bare minimum to win. So yea...the Americans obviously lose the race and the rest is history.

TL/DR Americans are fat****s and are just not as good at League as anyone else right now and they need to work on individual skill before they think about joining another tournament and humiliate themselves.

Achievement Unlocked: Avoided studying for 30 minutes.......
This looks like the kind of rant I would write about football. And I know nothing about football lol.

Like, let's put Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees on the same team and well have the best team in the country.

:phone:

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
Another stupid thing.

"it just comes down to raw skill." Where the hell do you think skill comes from? We're not talking about prodigal talent (which Mango compounded by, guess what, practicing a lot and practicing more intelligently than other players). Why is it that pretty much ANY Korean pro team is better than, for instance, TSM? That doesn't come down to "lol Koreans are better at video games." It comes down to ****ing practice.

League is a game based MOSTLY on decision making, which comes from knowledge, which comes from experience and intentional acquisition. There are mechanical skills to be tested, which require practical training. You have to make decisions INSTANTLY while performing mechanical tasks UNCONSCIOUSLY which require... hey, lots of practice.

The development and understanding of strategies (especially in a game with tons of variables and lots of numerical tweaks and nudges from patching) requires constant effort. Korean teams are better because they put in more conscious effort toward learning and developing skills. They've also got managers (managers!!!) to do a lot of that analysis and big-picture decision making for them, so they don't have to spend time combing through data to see what champs are doing the best.

For God's sake, these pros play for like ten hours a day or something. They're already "living and breathing" the game. The question is HOW you spend that time; smurfing jungle Teemo on Nordic East, or studying lane matchups with the intent of improving how you play?
Again, Completely disagree with this. And also give it a rest with the Stephen A Smith color commentary. prodigal talent decisions INSTANTLY mechanical tasks UNCONSCIOUSLY intentional acquisition. Hear me out for a second because this is a good argument we are having in my opinion, well i can't say good maybe but its an argument. So why I bring up the Stephen A Smith thing is because to me this whole thing has turned into what every episode of ESPN First Take which basically is Smith and Bayless shouting bull**** at eachother but more importantly both of them are right. One of them might go into incredible detail (similar to what you are doing) and will spend literally 20 minutes talking about a sprained ankle and it will eventually turn into something about how pasta before a game is unhealthy and that's why he hurt himself. So yes, I am trying to say that you are over analyzing everything, but not wrong. Some days I too like to bring out the whip but quite honestly you could write a dissertation on how Lebron is the greatest player to date but I will still stand by Jordan and saying "he is a better player" is a good enough reason for any basketball fan. Is it a good argument on paper? No, its ****ing awful. But saying hes the best player ever will satisfy most savvy fans who know the stats, watch the games, listen to sportscenter. They can fill in the blanks of why he's the best or come back with a counterargument. What I'm trying to say is, you don't need to (for me atleast) waste time with your spam hammer over something that boils down to skill. Skill is everything you've mentioned combined into one word. For God's sake that is the reason they invented the word so people don't need to have these arguments. However, lets say I go out on a limb and say Stanley is better than Darien...Ok wtf well why?? Well he's more skillfull... Ok that needs clear elaboration because the two or so close in skill it takes more than just that peasant statement to prove anything. THIS WOULD ACTUALLY be an AWESOME thing to discuss because they have such unique playstyles. But arguing something like NA is awful really needs like no explanation for anyone who knows their ****. I think the last 20 international player interviews I watched all started out by saying NA scene needs to take the game seriously if they want to win - you can spam about this in great detail and discuss every fine bit of how they can take the game more serious, but I prefer, and am 100% satisfied with, stating that NA players are less skillful than other players and that explains why they are not taking it seriously, and/or the other way around. I'll try to find some videos when I'm not busy of a couple pros I recall saying this exact thing...Like literally doublelift, Regi, Oddone, scarra, and a few more just straight up said in interviews that they know they are not as good as the koreans currently. They don't go into ****ing chapter books about what they need to fix, WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY NEED TO FIX

Really dude, you talk the same way about melee too, just check out your commentating and you will see. You go into detail about certain plays and what not and personally I prefer to listen to HMW just say "holy ****ing **** that was an amazing play" because I know exactly why he thought that. .

Bottom line is I appreciate everything you have said, and none of it is wrong, I'm just saying the same thing in a few words less because I prefer it to be stated in that way.

Talk items, champions, runes, things with math, I will be more than happy to have a heated discussion about it. But ranting in detail about all these issues that need to be dealt with for NA is pointless because it's all speculation anyway. You couldn't say with assurance that practicing more or watching more replays or jerking off more will actually improve them as a team, its just of "coulds" and "maybes".

D

Deleted member

dude use paragraphs or something (that and actually read what you write, half of your text arent even full sentences)

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
You failed to realize that the actual content of our posts are no longer what matters, but rather how much **** we can fit into the smallest space possible.

Alright I'm done in this thread for a bit because it's going to be about. . . . now, that wobbles stops typing and is like why the **** am I wasting time with this troll

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
^

But yea, having somebody tell me "holy ****ing s*** that was an awesome play" is pretty meaningless to me, I know it looked cool, now give me some insight behind it so I can actually learn something rather then them just reiterating my thoughts.

Good commentary is a combination of hype and insight and usually league commentators fail at insight.

Vyke

Smash Champion
regarding talent/skill/whatever

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint. The greats were great cause they paint a lot."

maxing e is considerably better in basically every way.
my finger paintings were masterpieces

Lovage

Smash Hero
^

But yea, having somebody tell me "holy ****ing s*** that was an awesome play" is pretty meaningless to me, I know it looked cool, now give me some insight behind it so I can actually learn something rather then them just reiterating my thoughts.

Good commentary is a combination of hype and insight and usually league commentators fail at insight.
i would postulate that

you don't even know what you like

because the only thing you've ever been exposed to is league of lengeds commentary

poor league of legennds

LONG LIVE HATPERSON AND PHREAK
and THEREDBARON

Okuser

Smash Ace
^

At the same time, a larger amount of people are going to be like " wow why are you explaining this? You think I'm an idiot or something? I know everything about league how dare you"

I've known a few commentators and they tell me this is a problem.

D

Deleted member

ther is a difference between explaining a play and phreak telling what oracle's does though.

Okuser

Smash Ace
I definitely think the best caster combination is: High elo player+ articulate/ good commentator.

I was going to cite Pluto + elementz as an example except Pluto ended up higher elo than elementz LOL

Vyke

Smash Champion
I think everyone's opinion will always be different on casters and nobody will be able to come to an agreement on the subject, because nobody ever has in the past.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Bankplank > teemo in effectiveness. Long as your team isn't scrub (muramana corki...) you should have a bigger impact on the game than AP/AS teemo

People tired of teemo should try it :p maxing oranges first is the best idea ever.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Does killing multiple minions with Nasus's Q via splash damage (think Frozen Fist) give him multiple +3's on Siphoning Strike?

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Are the 'melee only' and 'ranged only' items merely suggestions, or is there something about this Caitlyn having a Ravenous Hydra that I just don't understand?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
@Nasus Q's not stacking on multikills: thats too bad, Gangplank will get get q money x number of minions killed when using hydra

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@Nasus Q's not stacking on multikills: thats too bad, Gangplank will get get q money x number of minions killed when using hydra
That's because the gold/mana gain isn't a "on next AA" effect.

Also tried Bplank, but got lost in the shop and bought too many new items, why the f did I buy the spirit visage. Furor boots look nice tho.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Real talk though leacero is a scumbag for messing up my singed penta :(

Top Bottom