• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Vyke, I am down for leveling up as a group in 5s or 3s. I've got a good staple of characters that I play at a competitive level now and I actually enjoy playing tank/support roles, so everyone else can fight over playing the nukers/carries.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is what I'm talking about. I want to form an actual team that consists of people actually wanting to advance forth in 5s ranked. Or at least attempt to form some sort of trust between people so that you know you have a competent teammate instead of removing that one guy that friended you because you thought he was good that one game, but didn't turn out so hot.

I'm not talking about smurfing. I'm talking about just rounding up the best people we can find and starting to get competitive... Solo Queue isn't what the game is about, it's just a giant luck sack that doesn't garner you any respect.

People are so reluctant on giving anybody a try because it'll hurt their Elo, or ratio, or something else. But they aren't going to get anywhere that way. I want to take a more active stance, and the best place to start is here... at least, that's what I figure.
I'd join something like this.

I'm just worried that I'm not good enough right now, which is why I'm going to ask all you guys that play with me in normal queue to critique me and my builds if you don't mind... I really need you to lay down the law so I can get better more quickly. That's all I care about right now.

That and I don't really stick to any champions very well. My "mains" are constantly changing. Shaco's utility role got mega-nerfed so it's frustrating trying to play the same way I used to with him. I can only play Kennen well if I'm warmed up, and I'm not very good with Tristana anymore. I'm more into using all the champions and learning a lot about each of them individually than mastering any specific champs.

Vyke

Smash Champion
re: Humility and stuff: yea, I agree with you guys in theory, but 2 things I'd like to add are that:
1. I have to consider myself the best player ever in order to have the confidence to not play like a ***** :p. It's a necessary mindset for myself in game, though I try not to let it make me a flamer of people I think are underperforming. The only thing I can't stand is when Player A sucks and Player B thus spends the rest of the game *****ing him out and not player. I'd say 90% of my solo queue games involve me saying, "just shut up and play" :(
2. Solo queue rating being high gives you the ability to play reasonably competitive games when others aren't around. I agree that it means considerably less than AT elo, but that doesn't make people *******s for not wanted to wager their 1600 elo on you being better than your 1250.
All of those self-rules apply to Solo Queue, with teammates you don't know are reliable or not. That's why I want to construct a 5s team where either don't have to worry about that ****, or communicate through Skype or easy to access voice chat. You know, the actual point of this game. Not lollygag around 1600s-1800s getting nowhere.

Honestly, I would consider 1600s to be the point where it becomes indefinitely hard to climb the ladder. I've seen Azen, you, and Panda all drop down to it one time or another because of losing streaks. Just seems to be the point that's hard to advanced past.

But nobody cares how high you get in Solo Queue unless you belong to some sort of team. Otherwise you're just that guy that they can use to Duo Queue with occasionally.

@DanGR: It's good to have a constantly fluctuating list of champions. Diversity in roles is a very important part in this game, especially if you can fill all of those role well and play them well. I learned most of what I know from either watching streams (Good streams, not this CLG solo q bull****) or asking high-rated ladder people for advice. The rest is applied practice, and that's the easiest part when it comes to LoL. The game is not hard. Communication and teamwork are the hard parts.

Leacero

Smash Lord
anyone else having issues logging into the chat?

I'm thinking of just permanently migrating to swf with the problems we've been having as I know teamliquid had a similar problem with the old channel and then we migrated.
Yeah, it's been buggy ever since the server busy/downtime. If swf works, just go there instead.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Sup guys. Hey Mogwai. I played with some SWF peeps, had some good games. 16-3 teemo was pretty amusing.

If people are interested in some serious 5-mans I'd love to hear more. The Ottawa guys are pretty hardcore about setting up an official team for games 'n' stuff here in O-town, but the more people I have to play with the less boring solo queue is.

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
Jazriel's Teemo is mad cute. Im online almost every night so if you need a solotop Morgana get at meee!

runningbrave / HERBrunningbrave

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
GGs tonight guys. Epic comeback in that last one. Was awesome when we finally started killing that Shaco and got the ball rolling in our favor.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Ummm... ROFL... Riot went back and retooled Lux because the community didn't like her... and now people are saying she went from OP because of stealth to OP all over. She's like Janna and Morgana all over... she can shield in an AoE, she can slow in an AoE, she can root TWO enemies and her ult is a superbeam that will clean up kills all day.

thread: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=294091

Welcome to the new Poke/Heal metagame friends. Sona brought it back and Lux is going to perfect it... now with more AoE too! Apparently Riot's solution to the bulky DPS meta is to combine the poke/heal and AoE metas into one unstoppable force AND give people a get-out-of-jail free card against casters so you can poke without worrying about getting burned down by a mage.

AshuRawRun

Smash Apprentice
GGs tonight guys. Epic comeback in that last one. Was awesome when we finally started killing that Shaco and got the ball rolling in our favor.
You had trouble because of a shaco? o_O'

I like the new Lux but I don't know what they changed except the skin, I haven't read anything about her spells except her ulti (love it) and now with this skin she's awesome.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Ugh, will I have to pick up another support character?

*hides this post from Kayle/Zilean*

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ummm... ROFL... Riot went back and retooled Lux because the community didn't like her... and now people are saying she went from OP because of stealth to OP all over. She's like Janna and Morgana all over... she can shield in an AoE, she can slow in an AoE, she can root TWO enemies and her ult is a superbeam that will clean up kills all day.

thread: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=294091

Welcome to the new Poke/Heal metagame friends. Sona brought it back and Lux is going to perfect it... now with more AoE too! Apparently Riot's solution to the bulky DPS meta is to combine the poke/heal and AoE metas into one unstoppable force AND give people a get-out-of-jail free card against casters so you can poke without worrying about getting burned down by a mage.

Idk, I'd have to see her in action first. Janna and Sona already are pretty strong support choices: unless she can deflect an ungodly amount of damage, along with having a near instant Ult (they made it sound kinda like a channel "After Gathering Energy", but idk), and the bind around the same level as Morgana's, she probably won't be flat out ********. Based on what Im reading of her, Im thinking maybe somewhere near the end or middle of tier 2? This of course without seeing the exact numbers behind her, for all we know she might be balanced out with high mana costs or terrible scaling or super low Movement speed (been awhile since I've seen someone new at base 300 speed)

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I'm just going off the talk from the PTR. I guess we will see this week.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Change 1 to 3 and that sounds about right lol

Shaco Dinger Ez

Garen Morgana Mumu/Kog

etc

Cia

das kwl
The new skin on Lux is soooo much better.

The old Lux looked flat-out ********..

By the way.. with a character who's all about light, you'd think she'd have some kind of vision attack. like corki's phos. bomb.. idk

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
There's a large difference between champions being individually OP and the general metagame.

I feel there is so much about this game that isn't being explored because people in general just revolve around general opinions and then stick to them like it's the only "correct" way to play the game.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Because the entire metagame revolves around one character, always.
Always so snarky Scamp. goodness...

The metagame does not revolve around just one character, but one character in addition to the other changes they've made recently can cause it to shift. Kog buff, Sona introduced, nerfs to tanks, new speed boost item, new MR item... adds up to shifting the meta back towards poke/heal and makes it even MORE turtle oriented.

Rappster

Smash Ace
i've started playing lol on the weekends and i'm really enjoying it.
don't have much time to play though (darn college apps).
is tristana a good character to main?

Rappster

Smash Ace
Maining in general is a bad idea, but she's a good character to use.
i see.
i'm at level four atm, so my character selection is....low. i don't particularly want to learn useless characters, tho.
early on, what should i pour my ip into?

would katarina+tristana+aniva be a good way to start?

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
i see.
i'm at level four atm, so my character selection is....low. i don't particularly want to learn useless characters, tho.
early on, what should i pour my ip into?

would katarina+tristana+aniva be a good way to start?
Katarina and Tristana, yes. Anivia no.

In my opinion there really isn't a useless character in LoL, and any that are considered useless by the general populace eventually get reworked, anyway.

Pretty much all the 450 and 1300 cost champs are good starting points. With a few exceptions, the champs are generally priced at how difficult they are to play well.

Anivia is getting really popular recently but she really does have a tough time early on in the game and is generally squishy throughout the game, even if you're doing well. Her abilities require a lot of forethought and good positioning to be truly effective. She's also really expensive to get. For these reasons I don't recommend starting with her.

AshuRawRun

Smash Apprentice

In my opinion there really isn't a useless character in LoL, and any that are considered useless by the general populace eventually get reworked, anyway.

Pretty much all the 450 and 1300 cost champs are good starting points. With a few exceptions, the champs are generally priced at how difficult they are to play well.

Anivia is getting really popular recently but she really does have a tough time early on in the game and is generally squishy throughout the game, even if you're doing well. Her abilities require a lot of forethought and good positioning to be truly effective. She's also really expensive to get. For these reasons I don't recommend starting with her.

*lol* Vlad *lol*
I've noticed that Anivia is played more and more these day and I don't really like it, now people are thinking she's as no brain as Ryze in her gameplay and it's just some OP facerolling...

Frolossus

Smash Lord

tough time early game?
open meki pendant and take clarity if you have to.

john!

Smash Hero
i played trist mostly leveling up to 30. she's fun and relatively easy. kat is easy too, but she's also kind of easy to shut down if you have good opponents. anivia takes a bit of practice, but if you do well with her now then feel free to buy her, she's a great character. as a general rule, don't buy 3150 or 6300 champs unless you've played a few games with them and know that you want them.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
and it takes up a valuable SS spot. Anivia with Ghost/Flash scarier than one with Clarity + X

john!

Smash Hero
meki gives +2 more mana/5 and the ap bonus from doran's ring is negligible, so it's just a question of whether anivia would benefit from the early hp boost. i find that it's already difficult enough for enemies to kill the egg early game, which gives anivia immunity from early ganks as long as she either has a lane partner to help her, or plays defensively so she eggs under the tower. personally i'd rather just get meki, grab an extra health potion, and get aas that much quicker.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
*lol* "generally" *lol*

If you do this, you won't run out of mana as quickly but you'll still have no HP and can't really simultaneously harass and farm.
if you focus on last hitting with your auto attacks, your spells are free to harass with
use flash frost's range to poke at them and if you stun them follow up with a frostbite

Dekar173

Justice Man
Anivia is an amazing choice, very great DPS for a caster, arguably one of the best mages in the current metagame.

Kat is rather underused currently, I've never once bothered to play her and probably won't, her lack of CC makes her boring in my eyes.

Trist on the other hand is extremely fun. It's too satisfying being able to jump over walls without blowing a summoner skill :D

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Psh. I go head first THROUGH them with Gragas

He's that one guy who never obeyed the safety rule "Feet First"

Cia

das kwl
personally i'd rather just get meki, grab an extra health potion, and get aas that much quicker.
i felt like this too. but then i just stopped using Archangel's because she was too squishy. I'd rather get RoA and just keep on a blue buff.

and with Doran's Ring, it's really like getting a 240 hp bonus because of egg.

Top Bottom