• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Vyke

Smash Champion
Soraka Mid is actually her best option currently. Aggressive Soraka is much more hard to deal with than anyone really realizes. You level up starfall first and focus on harassing the **** out of the other laner with her incredible auto-attack, and then switch to the support role when the time comes for teamfights.

A good Soraka is hard to deal with mid. A very strong zoner, imo. Auto-Attack, Starfall, into Infusion, into Auto-attack hurts like hell on almost anyone because of the Starfall stacking debuff.

Cia

das kwl
What's stopping their mid from pounding your tower to kingdom come?

With Janna.. lol. minions don't get anywhere near my tower (Howling Gale).

With Soraka, Starcall is surprisingly effective against minion waves. 2 will bring the whole swarm to down to about 20% (minus the cannon) and they i just pick off the rest with basic attack. champions near my tower get scared away by starcall > Infuse.. lol. Then I just heal off w.e dmg I took and get an armor bonus =D

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
soraka and janna are both fine at mid except that putting them mid means that you're getting the wrong character level/gold advantage.

alistar is a great laner and only really suffers from being a sucky farmer who has a hard time demanding focus. He is a phenominal initiator (flash) and babysitter, but when headbutt and pulverize are on CD, he is really lacks anything to make the opposing team pay any attention to him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
^^^ And when Flash is on CD, he's stuck waddling like a penguin praying not to get *****

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Suggestions on how to build Kogmaw? Not sure what runes to get on him.

Here's my current AD build:
Doran's Blade + Health Pot
Boots
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Berserker's Greaves or Mercury's Treads
Bloodrazor if they're tanky, Infinity Edge if they're squishy
(I don't usually get this far)Phantom Dancer?

Vyke

Smash Champion
Rain Man builds Teemo like any other Teemo. He's good, he just gets carried by people that are better.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Skip Rageblade. Go straight to Madreds/main attack item with boots somewhere in there, then pick up Last Whisper/Defensive Item, then carry people cause you're Kogmaw lol. Also Skip Phantom Dancer: Kog usually isn't ****** with crits so much as melting people with insane Health Based % per hit with a high AS, and he usually has more problems with casters than auto attackers so dodge won't help much there (that and the AS you would get would probably put you easily over the cap after Madreds, free AS bonus, and something like Last Whisper). I would skip that and get Banshee or GA.

Doran Blade
Boots/Moar Doran blades (alternatively start building Razor)
Finish Razor
Last Whisper/Defense Item/Frozen Mallet (whatever you need)
If the game is still going, either get some Lifesteal or get staple defense item like BV/GA. Whatever you need to keep you alive. Or just pony up 900 Gold and Triple Elixer. NOW if the game isn't over, you probably lost or your team is falskd;lakda

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

Boots
Guinsoo's Rageblade
People used to rush the bloodrazors first because of the bugged attack speed bonus Kog'Brah got from attack speed in all items you bought. Because of that boost, it made BR the best "starting big item" to get on him- as opposed to IE. That and the attack speed portion naturally synergizes with the "mini-bloodrazors" skill kog has.

That said, Riot fixed the bug, but bloodrazors are still a great item on him. xD You're going to be counterpicking Koggy against the tanky teams anyways, bloodrazors being in the game or not, so you're likely going to get them anyways, if that makes sense.

Imo, you should probably ignore Kog's crappy AP ratios and go full att speed/on hit effects. Doran's blade/shield, Mercs, Bloodrazors... game should be over by now LOL. If not, get some defensive items thereafter.

edit: man, why you gotta be ninja'n me, DMG.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

Boots
Guinsoo's Rageblade
dblade
boots
dblade
recurve bow
merc treads
banshee's veil
finish bloodrazors
phage -> frozen mallet

runes are all attack speed. 38% AS from runepage is too goot.

bloodrazors are indeed very good on koggy, but he has them built in from the start and is the #1 target, always, so grabbing veil after jacking up my AS has always served me best. buying the actual bloodrazors mostly serves to make BAB keep up with the opposing magic resist and stuff as the game drags out. before that, I don't really think they're necessary, though they will of course speed up your killing speed.

most important thing with koggy is just to always have red buff in teamfights and properly position yourself so that you don't get jacked up.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Runes are NOT all attack speed. And that build isn't the greatest in the world.

Best Kog maw player (on my friends list, we've played alot) uses:

Attack speed marks and quints, mp5/lvl seals and glyphs.

Flash ghost (occasionally cleanse ghost if there is a ton of CC)

3 doran's blades, zerk's (before getting all 3 blades for sure), bloodrazor, last whisper, frozen mallet, and tons of green/red elixers.

Don't go mercs on Kog, you NEED early zerks for damage output before you finish your Brazor. And the 3 doran's blades provide more than enough survivability early game. But remember, FARM RED AS MUCH AND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Kog's effectiveness is cut in half without red buff. But you can also see it as his effectiveness doubles with red buff. Red is your butt buddy as kog. Let your jungle have the first 2 spawns, but the rest after that are all yours.

For that exact reasoning, I believe the optimal masteries are something like 19/0/11 or something with points in the buff extension mastery.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Alright, so... this has been on my mind most of the week as I broke 1400s and continued to do well, then dropped slightly. Nothing too big of a deal, I haven't played ranked since though.

It caused me to realize something, though... while I may be making progress through Solo Queue (even slowly), what point is there to it?

I would very much rather form a 5s Ranked Team and try to progress up the ladder that way than try to make a solo name for myself in a team game, that seems sort of pointless. Why are none of us on one? Is it too much trouble? To me it seems rather worthwhile seeing as the community is still young, the game still fresh.

Why don't we create one? I'm just curious, as we talk a lot of good theorycrafting and builds in this thread... I would assume we could put it to good use.

Cia

das kwl
^ I've been wanting to start a LoL team for the longest time (even thought of a few team names) but I couldn't find enough new players like myself to do ranked games with

=(

I've gotten a few people into the game so we'll see how they turn out later.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I've turned on a couple of people to this game. But they're fairly new and lack skill, experience, and brains for now.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Bringing new blood to the game is great, but I'm speaking about compiling the best of what we have and applying effort with all the discussion that goes on.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I got Swift into it but don't know how he's been doing lately.

****, I haven't even seen him in like 1000 years. Guess I'll bring up LoL on Saturday and play with him when he's not busy.

I wouldn't want to play with you guys, not until I get to level 30 (lol 3000 accounts doesn't help) and get a new laptop (christmas).

but until then, I'll continue learning from your posts and all that good stuff.

/plays starcraft for the first time.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
At some point I need to have KevinM watch over my shoulder as I play and have him tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Octave

Smash Ace
At some point I need to have KevinM watch over my shoulder as I play and have him tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Same. KevinM respond to my PM from like 3 weeks ago about leveling a smurf with me. Also, kSO, are you XDNPH?? Got a random friend request earlier and didn't know who it was.

Leacero

Smash Lord
Alright, so... this has been on my mind most of the week as I broke 1400s and continued to do well, then dropped slightly. Nothing too big of a deal, I haven't played ranked since though.

It caused me to realize something, though... while I may be making progress through Solo Queue (even slowly), what point is there to it?

I would very much rather form a 5s Ranked Team and try to progress up the ladder that way than try to make a solo name for myself in a team game, that seems sort of pointless. Why are none of us on one? Is it too much trouble? To me it seems rather worthwhile seeing as the community is still young, the game still fresh.

Why don't we create one? I'm just curious, as we talk a lot of good theorycrafting and builds in this thread... I would assume we could put it to good use.
It's because a lot of us already have pre-arranged teams we play with already. It's also because we can never get enough people on for a simple in-house game let alone an organized 5-man effort.

That being said, I'm down to try some pre-made normal 5s to test the waters before starting ranked.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I stopped getting people into the game. They expect me to play with them, and sadly I derive no enjoyment from smurfing :/

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, my 2nd smurf experience sucked and I've left it at like 6 or 7 because I feel like I'm making new players hate the game. I was still new enough when I made Rock Rock On that it wasn't too abusive and has allowed me to play with lowbie friends. really wanna get it to 30 so that I can duo with people who are having trouble in the lower elos and give them tips to gtfo/hard carry them with pantheon to higher elo, lol.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So I've given up on tryharding in ranked. Nothing worse than losing a game after you get stacked because your teammates are just THAT inept. Now Im just doing whatever the **** I feel like that game until the Graggles buff comes through. Then I'll tryhard back to a more comfortable ELO in the 1700s or so. I can't wait to finally main a "good" character. It'll be crazy to not have to completely outplay my opponent every single game in order to win.

Vyke

Smash Champion
This is what I'm talking about. I want to form an actual team that consists of people actually wanting to advance forth in 5s ranked. Or at least attempt to form some sort of trust between people so that you know you have a competent teammate instead of removing that one guy that friended you because you thought he was good that one game, but didn't turn out so hot.

I'm not talking about smurfing. I'm talking about just rounding up the best people we can find and starting to get competitive... Solo Queue isn't what the game is about, it's just a giant luck sack that doesn't garner you any respect.

People are so reluctant on giving anybody a try because it'll hurt their Elo, or ratio, or something else. But they aren't going to get anywhere that way. I want to take a more active stance, and the best place to start is here... at least, that's what I figure.

Leacero

Smash Lord
People are so reluctant on giving anybody a try because it'll hurt their Elo, or ratio, or something else. But they aren't going to get anywhere that way. I want to take a more active stance, and the best place to start is here... at least, that's what I figure.
This. Also, people need to be more humble at this game.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The problem is getting 5 people with varying schedules who live in different time zones to log into a game for a couple hours all at the same time.

We need a pool of more than 5 good players to get this going. It starts by when you sign in for LoL check the SWF thread for people who want to play. If you can't get 5 play a normal game. If you can only get 2, duo queue.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
So I've given up on tryharding in ranked. Nothing worse than losing a game after you get stacked because your teammates are just THAT inept. Now Im just doing whatever the **** I feel like that game until the Graggles buff comes through. Then I'll tryhard back to a more comfortable ELO in the 1700s or so. I can't wait to finally main a "good" character. It'll be crazy to not have to completely outplay my opponent every single game in order to win.
this is why I've started playing Corki. other than maybe twitch, I think Corki's the hardest carry in this game and I feel like I have much more ability to pull a win out of a bad team with Corki than I ever did with Pantheon. god****, <3 Corki so hard.

re: Humility and stuff: yea, I agree with you guys in theory, but 2 things I'd like to add are that:
1. I have to consider myself the best player ever in order to have the confidence to not play like a ***** :p. It's a necessary mindset for myself in game, though I try not to let it make me a flamer of people I think are underperforming. The only thing I can't stand is when Player A sucks and Player B thus spends the rest of the game *****ing him out and not player. I'd say 90% of my solo queue games involve me saying, "just shut up and play" :(
2. Solo queue rating being high gives you the ability to play reasonably competitive games when others aren't around. I agree that it means considerably less than AT elo, but that doesn't make people *******s for not wanted to wager their 1600 elo on you being better than your 1250.

*shrugs*

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Is it bad that my Facebook Scrabble ELO is better than my League of Legends ELO?
My probable Online Correspondence Chess ELO is higher than anyone has gotten in LoL so far.

Eventually ratings will inflate upwards where top ratings will be 2100-2300

Top Bottom