• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Cutlass before Triforce gives you sustain and a big boost to your ability keep on targets. As for going Triforce before finishing BotRK, Triforce is like THE item for Jax and is a gigantic power-spike.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I probably won't be changing from a standard AP Kayle build until the lich change goes through (because lich is just too OP with a ton of AP).

Gunblade is such an overlooked item tho man. For instance, I feel like BORK has sorta mindlessly become standard 2nd item on Jax when all my real Jax players know Gunblade is better!
20% spell vamp is nothing to scoff at for anyone that has anything to spell vamp, lol. I'm a t-force lover but go Lich Bane when I'm feeling like I need to be bursty rather than sustainey. I see why Lich is such an evil thing on Kayle towards the later game. But if I'm wanting to kill tanks (which Kayle is perfectly capable of doing) I feel tforce is giving me more due to better kite + faster armor/mr reduction.

What about Guinsoo's? That item has been decent ever since it got reworked, especially considering how cheap it is, but is it worth buying compared to saving for gunblade?
I kinda wanna play Kayle mid/top more because she's good (or is she viable as jungle/support too?) but sometimes I think she's really boring to play.
Eh, Guinsoo's used to be cheaper buy cost. Probably why I buy it less these days. For a while I was buying guinsoos after nashor's but the reason why i kinda liked it (attack speed and the sub 50% health lifesteal/spell vamp) is a little inconsistent, and doesn't really spike you in the way I noticed building towards Gunblade did (spell vamp on all your E procs, Q / Life Steal not feeling bad + an active). When you have guinsoo's ramped up, your auto attacks are going to hurt a lot. But I really feel gunblade giving you significantly more prior to that ramp up in terms of build path and not needing to be "pre-warmed up".

Last edited:

Player-3

Smash Hero
goddamn i like watching competitive league of legends its so interesting

but why is playing it so hard man

Player-3

Smash Hero
Because we're old :(
nah, i have and still can play with the LCS players and keep up/beat them but i changed my mouse and then stopped playing as much so i'm super rusty now, playing this game at a top level requires so much ****ing work that i really don't want to put all that work into it just to have a shaky chance at a career off of it lol

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I kinda sorta feel like streaming myself soon before I decay to plat 3, and once I get a taste of ranked I don't stop unless I lose 3 times in a row.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
nah, i have and still can play with the LCS players and keep up/beat them but i changed my mouse and then stopped playing as much so i'm super rusty now, playing this game at a top level requires so much ****ing work that i really don't want to put all that work into it just to have a shaky chance at a career off of it lol
Not saying we can't compete, but we don't have as much, iono, "oompf" (enthusiasm) to put that much work into the game as we could've a few years back imo (we killed ourselves with brawl, gg).

In other news, 1 win from diamond. Hopefully going to get it tomorrow :D

Niko45

Smash Master
Eh, you can stack Guinsoo on creeps and the stacks do not fall off very fast. I find it extremely easy to be max stack on Guinsoo. With the below 50% active and max stacks Guinsoo has an estimated gold value of over 5k. O_O Unfortunately GG LICH BANE nulls all (has really no synergy with lich builds).

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I started to see so much success by learning to play at least one champ in every role competently and calling for fill instead of a specific role. I've climbed from silver 5 to gold 4 over the last 2 weeks and i am so jazzed up! I'm definitely going to aim to hit plat these upcoming months.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Diamond achieved =)

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for the carry MALZAHAR

Got me through plat pretty hard. Used to have much higher win ratios on Lee Sin/Kayle which got me through gold and quite a bit of plat, then I hit a rock and just went balls to the walls malzahar like 75%+ of games and got myself to DESTINY.

According to lolskill.net I'm the best malzahar on OCE and the 7th best in the world :p

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Good stuff. I'm pretty jelly. You said you go for tankier builds right? RoA or Rylai's pretty often? Abuse Liandry's, think it's super strong on him?
I wish there was a separate page for champion stats for ranked teams, my Malz stats are better than they should be because we got matched against easy teams in ranked 5s.
When does season 4 officially start, anyway? I know that I'm not getting any ranked decay because it's still preseason.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Good stuff. I'm pretty jelly. You said you go for tankier builds right? RoA or Rylai's pretty often? Abuse Liandry's, think it's super strong on him?
I wish there was a separate page for champion stats for ranked teams, my Malz stats are better than they should be because we got matched against easy teams in ranked 5s.
When does season 4 officially start, anyway? I know that I'm not getting any ranked decay because it's still preseason.
Tanky build every time. Liandry's is sweet. You have 3 dots. Pool (W) with 5 procs/5 seconds, E with 4 procs/4 seconds, and his ult with 5 procs/2.5 seconds. If you're able to time skills effectively, you're able to get 17 liandry's procs over 5 seconds (super clutch is E + W + R being 11 procs in 2.5 seconds). The way I build, I'll always be dealing more damage to people above 1400-1500 health than I would with death cap (so liandrys > death cap if you have rylais majority of the time).

I haven't deviated on my build really any time except when there's an AD heavy enemy team (so seekers). But RoA -> Void Staff -> Rylais is my general core. Sometimes go for Rylai/liandrys earlier. But usually void staff is a great early pick up after roa so my damage stays super high while I build selfishly / for the later game. Liandry's damage is pretty meh unless I have the rylais, and that's 6k, so you can easily fall off if you don't have void first. Cowl and or banshees often early, sometimes late. 6 item build is 3970 health, 350 odd AP.

SHAYAWESOME JOB!

Why Malzahar? He's that one champ I hear a ton of hype about (especially in this thread) and never see in game.
Probably because I'm the one hyping him up :O. And iono, he was ban-worthy/OP in season 2? and then he got hit by an ultimate and W scaling nerf. It's been a long time since then. Most of the mids have been nerfed in damage and whatnot. The item choices he has now are vastly superior to what he used to have. Rylais was always super good on him and now you're turning into godlike damage with Liandry's. I underline that everyone's just overlooked Malzahar for no good reason. How many nerfs has teemo needed because liandry's exists? Malz is a better dot user and has gotten off scott free~
The game has changed into malzahar's favour in almost every way bar mobility creep, but he's honestly one of the strongest anti-meta characters I can think of. Defend malzahar and everything dies and no one can kill him.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Tanky build every time. Liandry's is sweet. You have 3 dots. Pool (W) with 5 procs/5 seconds, E with 4 procs/4 seconds, and his ult with 5 procs/2.5 seconds. If you're able to time skills effectively, you're able to get 17 liandry's procs over 5 seconds (super clutch is E + W + R being 11 procs in 2.5 seconds).
Does... does it work like that?

The most frustrating thing about playing Malz is your dern teammates. When you're OOM (which isn't as big of a problem if you build RoA) and desperately trying to get mana from minions, they tend to ignore your DoT and just instaclear waves before it can bounce and give you mana. Really really annoying.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's usually pretty essential for him to get blue, even with RoA. RoA lets you stay in lane forever and be quite liberal with spell usage even w/o blue, but when it comes to grouping up and long term usage of your spells (going through your passive to keep it ready for a summon in down time) generally bursting down minion waves and going for zoning usages, you definitely need blue buff.

Agree @ dern team mates. People not trusting Malzahar's strengths / not playing the game the way he wins in is a majority of my losses IMO. Lost many a game because "we have to go chase them into our jungle when they have complete map control outside our base" when just killing them any time they would try to put out turret damage as a group was the simplest come-back tool.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i think malz is really strong hes just hard to fit in a comp compared to the jack of all trades you can put mid nowadays

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That's why I play him so much, he's super safe. Your jungler can gank him if he's dumb enough to extend, but he can farm so safely he won't need to.

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
How do you *beat* malz, I feel like he is always very hard to play against if he knows what he is doing unless I am Karma.
Malz has 2 big issues you can exploit when playing against him.

1. No escape
2. Channeled ultimate

Firstly, no escape means a lot. He can take flash of course, but after flashing he has nothing that can prevent him from dying if he overextends and you (or your jungler) engages. So let's say your playing Zed, either apply some pressure to cause him to flash (or again, call your jungler), then get your ultimate, wait for an opportunity, dive in and kill him. It'll be especially hard for him to respond with a combo on you if you're playing someone with a ton of mobility like Zed.

His channeled ulti is a big problem for him late game. All it takes is 1 CC to stop it, where his W becomes infinitely worse as well since he has no way to hold a player on top of it. Not only that, but his ulti also keeps him in the exact same spot while casting it, so if he doesnt position himself perfectly, it'll be easy for a carry or any sort of damage dealer to walk up, get in his face, and start taking him down (whether they have CC or not)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Malz has 2 big issues you can exploit when playing against him.

1. No escape
2. Channeled ultimate

Firstly, no escape means a lot. He can take flash of course, but after flashing he has nothing that can prevent him from dying if he overextends and you (or your jungler) engages. So let's say your playing Zed, either apply some pressure to cause him to flash (or again, call your jungler), then get your ultimate, wait for an opportunity, dive in and kill him. It'll be especially hard for him to respond with a combo on you if you're playing someone with a ton of mobility like Zed.

His channeled ulti is a big problem for him late game. All it takes is 1 CC to stop it, where his W becomes infinitely worse as well since he has no way to hold a player on top of it. Not only that, but his ulti also keeps him in the exact same spot while casting it, so if he doesnt position himself perfectly, it'll be easy for a carry or any sort of damage dealer to walk up, get in his face, and start taking him down (whether they have CC or not)
I'll consider this, ty.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
and those are the reasons he'll never be OP. If you list his strengths he looks ridiculously strong, but when you consider the amount of counterplay his entire kit has, yeah.

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
and those are the reasons he'll never be OP. If you list his strengths he looks ridiculously strong, but when you consider the amount of counterplay his entire kit has, yeah.
Actually, technically speaking any champion *can* become OP with a few balance changes. If Riot suddenly changed his suppression where he could suddenly move around while casting it, or if CC wouldn't interrupt the damage a suppression or if he got an increase in base/leveling armor/MR then he could easily become viable in competitive play (if not OP from all his damage). Or it could just take a while for all the other mid laners to get nerfed to a point where he's viable again in competitive play. Only time will tell.

There was a French mid-laner "Alth0r" who played for SK Gaming back early early on in the competitive scene and he'd bring out Malz a lot showing just how much a player could do with him.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
IS THAT ACTUALLY ****ING GBAY99

I WILL EAT MY ****ING HAT IF IT IS

WHAAAtttttttttttt

Like, when I was actually into league and I started playing I watched literally EVERY single one of his videos, he's like my league of legends role model lmaaooo

Top Bottom