• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
IS THAT ACTUALLY ****ING GBAY99

I WILL EAT MY ****ING HAT IF IT IS

WHAAAtttttttttttt

Like, when I was actually into league and I started playing I watched literally EVERY single one of his videos, he's like my league of legends role model lmaaooo
i am requoting that

also tagging @ Gbay99 Gbay99

because oh my god i am speechless because i think it really is gbay

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
welp, welcome to smashboards.

I have no idea why I'm so shocked about this.

I might as well go out on a limb and straight up say "thanks!" since your videos helped me get sooo much better at league when I first started playing. I'm pretty sure I found your channel through your "How bad your deaths really are" video. lol

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Speaking of ranked, I still need to do that soon before I decay to plat 3. It gave me the warning 3 or 4 days ago but didn't continue giving the amount of days I have left. I need to get to that either tonight or tomorrow just to be safe.

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
welp, welcome to smashboards.

I have no idea why I'm so shocked about this.

I might as well go out on a limb and straight up say "thanks!" since your videos helped me get sooo much better at league when I first started playing. I'm pretty sure I found your channel through your "How bad your deaths really are" video. lol
Haha, that one was probably the first one that I made purly because I thought it was important, not just to get as many views as possible lol (even if it's at 350k+ now lol)

Glad to hear you like them so much! Nice to meet you man

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Haha, that one was probably the first one that I made purly because I thought it was important, not just to get as many views as possible lol (even if it's at 350k+ now lol)

Glad to hear you like them so much! Nice to meet you man
yeah it definitely is important. using your advice i went from bronze 4 to gold 5 in something like 3 months, all the other housewives must HATE you

(trolling aside, I actually did rise that far thanks to your vids)

And absolutely! It's not every day I get to talk to basically a league celebrity lol

*teleports away into Project M Frame Data land~*

edit---

[5:40:03 PM] Aerodrome: i got to talk to Gbay99 today
[5:40:19 PM] Aerodrome: on smashboards
[5:40:58 PM] Cameron: who
[5:41:01 PM] Aerodrome: Die.

Last edited:

Player-3

Smash Hero
of the opinion that rengar jungle is quite good rigt now

****s all over the khazix wukong type junglers who rush damage items since he can just oneshot

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
i think malz is really strong hes just hard to fit in a comp compared to the jack of all trades you can put mid nowadays
Eh, I think Malz can fit on a lot of teams right now. Although a bit contrived, Malzahar fits into teams similar to the way Caitlyn does. They have very similar positioning patterns as well as synergy with champions. tl;dr Thresh + Malzahar is ... really really really good. Throw in a beefy front line who won't die (Mundo > Shyvana > Trundle/etc) and you got yourself a working malzahar comp. I've been successful enough in making him work basically all the time, if you get your team to play the way which malzahar requires, its easy.

How do you *beat* malz, I feel like he is always very hard to play against if he knows what he is doing unless I am Karma.
You try to destroy him early game. Usually requires the jungler camping you. Le Blanc can be annoying in the 1v1 but she inherently scales so poorly in comparison to Malz it doesn't matter. Gragas getting ahead from jungle pressure is very frustrating and hard for malz to deal with. Ziggs for similar reasons but the lanes really low risk for Malz. Once a catalyst rolls around I don't think you can beat him in lane with anyone without a noticeable lead. Game wise, I don't honestly know how to beat Malzahar beyond out playing him. He will win every proper team fight. In the super rare times there's been a Malzahar on the enemy team, I like Nocturne and Sivir. Stuff like knocking him out of his ult is good, dodging his silence is essential. But imo this really ceases to matter in 5v5 generally because you're sitting right at the back the entire time dictating things and ulting the one person who's out of position at the right times.

tl;dr CAMP HIS LANE AS THE JUNGLER.

Malz has 2 big issues you can exploit when playing against him.

1. No escape
2. Channeled ultimate
1. Agree, but not Zed. Le Blanc or Gragas. Only characters who can do it.
2. Disagree...

His channeled ulti is a big problem for him late game. All it takes is 1 CC to stop it, where his W becomes infinitely worse as well since he has no way to hold a player on top of it. Not only that, but his ulti also keeps him in the exact same spot while casting it, so if he doesnt position himself perfectly, it'll be easy for a carry or any sort of damage dealer to walk up, get in his face, and start taking him down (whether they have CC or not)
Okay. Channeling is awful and all, but big problem late game? A late game with banshee's veil? Yes all it takes is 1 CC to stop it. But who's applying this CC and how are they doing it? I know positioning can't always be perfect, but what targeted or non-first target skill shot CCs at 700+ range? So few. Like so so few. One's that aren't ultimates and aren't needed for early team fights? Malz' ult is an icing on the cake thing, his damage between Q W and E is more than significant enough. Malz does not initiate. Malz sits behind your front line and wrecks havoc and kills anyone who comes between the two.Think of Malz Ult as a lock down that can last 2.5 seconds, but what does locking someone down in a single position at 700 range usually mean? That your team can follow up ? Yep. I would say in highly dynamic fights, my ult doesn't always go fully through because I cancel it and then reposition to how they react to someone being suppressed. Usually means me throwing down a W and silencing them for 3 seconds as they group up.

Slows and silences are pretty sufficient in keeping people in Malz' W (named the NULL ZONE). It's a zoning (heheheh) spell that punishes you for having to come through it (Zigg's bombs ring a bell?)- with a lot of damage. Who has to come through it? Enemies. Why? Because there's a malzahar, ranged carry or turret behind it. Or perhaps its stopping their team for going for creeps under tower (pushing them to the sides) where it's easy to snipe with my Q? But yeah... walking up to malzahar should never be easy. Ever. And Malz' ult is for punishing people's bad positioning.

and those are the reasons he'll never be OP. If you list his strengths he looks ridiculously strong, but when you consider the amount of counterplay his entire kit has, yeah.
And this is really where I contrast with opinion on everyone at it's core. I don't believe there is counterplay to my champion in grouped open spaced situations whatsoever. If you can't kill my front line, I'm going to kill yours, whoever tries to come to our back line and one shot your backline if I ever get in range/they get cc'd. The only counters to him that i'm aware of is completely shutting him down; or grossly catching him or his team out of position. High mobility can beat him in jungle fights.

Last edited:

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
Eh, I think Malz can fit on a lot of teams right now. Although a bit contrived, Malzahar fits into teams similar to the way Caitlyn does. They have very similar positioning patterns as well as synergy with champions. tl;dr Thresh + Malzahar is ... really really really good. Throw in a beefy front line who won't die (Mundo > Shyvana > Trundle/etc) and you got yourself a working malzahar comp. I've been successful enough in making him work basically all the time, if you get your team to play the way which malzahar requires, its easy.

You try to destroy him early game. Usually requires the jungler camping you. Le Blanc can be annoying in the 1v1 but she inherently scales so poorly in comparison to Malz it doesn't matter. Gragas getting ahead from jungle pressure is very frustrating and hard for malz to deal with. Ziggs for similar reasons but the lanes really low risk for Malz. Once a catalyst rolls around I don't think you can beat him in lane with anyone without a noticeable lead. Game wise, I don't honestly know how to beat Malzahar beyond out playing him. He will win every proper team fight. In the super rare times there's been a Malzahar on the enemy team, I like Nocturne and Sivir. Stuff like knocking him out of his ult is good, dodging his silence is essential. But imo this really ceases to matter in 5v5 generally because you're sitting right at the back the entire time dictating things and ulting the one person who's out of position at the right times.

tl;dr CAMP HIS LANE AS THE JUNGLER.

1. Agree, but not Zed. Le Blanc or Gragas. Only characters who can do it.
2. Disagree...

Okay. Channeling is awful and all, but big problem late game? A late game with banshee's veil? Yes all it takes is 1 CC to stop it. But who's applying this CC and how are they doing it? I know positioning can't always be perfect, but what targeted or non-first target skill shot CCs at 700+ range? So few. Like so so few. One's that aren't ultimates and aren't needed for early team fights? Malz' ult is an icing on the cake thing, his damage between Q W and E is more than significant enough. Malz does not initiate. Malz sits behind your front line and wrecks havoc and kills anyone who comes between the two.Think of Malz Ult as a lock down that can last 2.5 seconds, but what does locking someone down in a single position at 700 range usually mean? That your team can follow up ? Yep. I would say in highly dynamic fights, my ult doesn't always go fully through because I cancel it and then reposition to how they react to someone being suppressed. Usually means me throwing down a W and silencing them for 3 seconds as they group up.

Slows and silences are pretty sufficient in keeping people in Malz' W (named the NULL ZONE). It's a zoning (heheheh) spell that punishes you for having to come through it (Zigg's bombs ring a bell?)- with a lot of damage. Who has to come through it? Enemies. Why? Because there's a malzahar, ranged carry or turret behind it. Or perhaps its stopping their team for going for creeps under tower (pushing them to the sides) where it's easy to snipe with my Q? But yeah... walking up to malzahar should never be easy. Ever. And Malz' ult is for punishing people's bad positioning.

And this is really where I contrast with opinion on everyone at it's core. I don't believe there is counterplay to my champion in grouped open spaced situations whatsoever. If you can't kill my front line, I'm going to kill yours, whoever tries to come to our back line and one shot your backline if I ever get in range/they get cc'd. The only counters to him that i'm aware of is completely shutting him down; or grossly catching him or his team out of position. High mobility can beat him in jungle fights.
I'm not saying Malz is a bad champion, others are just better, and a big part of that is his channeled ulti. Most champions with major channeled skills (Galio and his ulti, Yi and his W, WW and his ulti) aren't used in competitive play because of it. Those who *are* used (MF, Caitlyn, Nunu) don't get the majority of their damage/utility from that ult or channeled ability.

Whether you have banshee's or not, it only takes 1 CC to mess up an integral part of your skillset. You still do plenty without it, but you don't do as much as other mid laners. In the right hands Malz is great, but he lacks certain qualities that prevent him from breaking in to competitive play, and imo a big part of that is the channel. If CC no longer interrupted channels in a random upcoming patch, he'd be picked up and used a lot more just because there's less of a risk to lose a major part of his damage/utility.

Banshee's can help, but it takes 1 poke ability to knock it out, then when you're ulting, you have no way of preventing someone from CCing you. A gragas ulti, Ahri Spirit Rush into Charm, Malphite ult, Aatrox Q, Orianna ulti, Renekton Slice+Dice into stun, Udyr stun, or Yasuo knockup. You need a REALLY strong tank line, perfect positioning, and even then a pretty weak teamcomp by your opponents to be able to guarantee everything goes perfectly for you.

Again he's not a bad champ, just a reeeally risky one when the enemy team knows what they're doing.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Malz damage on Q/W/E is more than just about everyone's entire kits, are you serious saying otherwise? I just heavily disagree with your opinion here. And I've already stated how I disagree with it.

Last edited:

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
The ult may just be the icing on the cake, but without it he's kinda outclassed by other mid laners. He has nice damage, a nice silence, and good waveclear still...

But if I'm a pro or playing ranked 5s and I have the option of either a Malz who hits a good ult 50% of the time, or an Ahri/Leblanc/Lulu/etc. I generally go with the 2nd option.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The ult may just be the icing on the cake, but without it he's kinda outclassed by other mid laners
And how can this conversation go any further than us agreeing that we disagree with each other. Yes, characters with 3 skills instead of 4 are surely going to be outclassed by those with 4 skills. But no, Malzahar wins not by getting a good ult 50% of the time (although hey, it seems pretty easy to get good ults more often than that) but by a three second aoe silence on a 6 second cool down, team wide slows, and significant damage. You can say other characters do it better, but I'll just tell you that you're wrong. And we can repeat these same few lines over and over again as long as you like.

Last edited:

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
And how can this conversation go any further than us agreeing that we disagree with each other. Yes, characters with 3 skills instead of 4 are surely going to be outclassed by those with 4 skills. But no, Malzahar wins not by getting a good ult 50% of the time (although hey, it seems pretty easy to get good ults more often than that) but by a three second aoe silence on a 6 second cool down, team wide slows, and significant damage. You can say other characters do it better, but I'll just tell you that you're wrong. And we can repeat these same few lines over and over again as long as you like.
Lol sorry, not trying to get under your skin or anything, just giving my opinion on why he's rarely picked over other mids

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He played his special snowflake champion and got NA Gold in OCE, so he's gud with the character. Let him believe mang
One trick ponies or just somebody with good mechanics on more than just 7 characters get to Diamond.

Then again since >NA scene actually beat TPA and WE even though not at their peak like S2... maybe >NA scene is actually inching closer to korea!? So... EU gold?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
:V

If you want my opinion on that specifically; it's because of how his lack of mobility/escapes (as you said). That's why he's "bad". Damage, zoning, etc etc, is pretty awesome. The initiating and mobility that other AP carries/mids have outshine him in high level play. If this game was just Tower Sieges and baron/dragon pit fights only, then Malzahar truly outshines the competition (opinion, but easier to argue in that bubble than the whole conglomerate/scale of abilities champions have). My success has a lot to do with the fact the meta is so centric on those two things right now and I force my team to play that way through communication.

He played his special snowflake champion and got NA Gold in OCE, so he's gud with the character. Let him believe mang
One trick ponies or just somebody with good mechanics on more than just 7 characters get to Diamond.
:O you sound jealous~ Also probably NA lowish plat.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The game does kinda revolve around dragons and sieging turrets.
Doesn't matter if the AD got 7 kills bot, if the enemy team continues gettings turrets and dragons you'll still lose. (actually a good example is when Cop went Lucian and ended 7/2 I believe and still lost)

Though that's also prolly cause MUH KDA so he was too scared to right click half the time.

Player-3

Smash Hero
malz loses alot of his strength when you take his blues is the main weakness i find, alot like anivia

good char tho always liked ulting khazix/tristana and stuff outta jumps

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm no expert, but I imagine that Malz struggles with aggressive champions with gapclosers. Typically it's easy to out-trade champions who use their skills to farm a lot, because if you have a gap closer you can normally outrade them with your full combo if they used a skill to farm. That's why all high level Veigars don't Q every single minion possible, and save a lot of their Qs for harrass. It's only the bad Veigars who just spam Q on minions and try to ignore the enemy laner (and consequently get bullied out of lane). Crystalline Flask is a really good start for champs who like to constantly gap close into the enemy's minions wave. Malz is also squishy so he's vulnerable to all-ins.

The game does kinda revolve around dragons and sieging turrets.
Doesn't matter if the AD got 7 kills bot, if the enemy team continues gettings turrets and dragons you'll still lose. (actually a good example is when Cop went Lucian and ended 7/2 I believe and still lost)

Though that's also prolly cause MUH KDA so he was too scared to right click half the time.
I've gone 24/3/10 in a game and lost.

I also went 17/9/6 in a game and lost that too (got demoted because of it), but that was 4v5 (our Ahri never connected, fourth time in a row I've been demoted off an afk lol).

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
:O you sound jealous~ Also probably NA lowish plat.
I ain't jealous mang, Plat 2/1 is basically S2 just getting Diamond.
I commend you for being able to somehow play one champion. I couldn't do that. You should come back to NA tho and not do dominion only this time.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I ain't jealous mang, Plat 2/1 is basically S2 just getting Diamond.
I commend you for being able to somehow play one champion. I couldn't do that. You should come back to NA tho and not do dominion only this time.
Eh, I never play the guy outside of ranked (although I think I may be addicted to getting better at the guy as things get increasingly more challenging) and will probably primarily go back to losing in the jungle now i've reached my goal. Dominion is literally the main reason why I hate OCE :( Don't think ill be back in NA for a while.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The ult may just be the icing on the cake, but without it he's kinda outclassed by other mid laners. He has nice damage, a nice silence, and good waveclear still...

But if I'm a pro or playing ranked 5s and I have the option of either a Malz who hits a good ult 50% of the time, or an Ahri/Leblanc/Lulu/etc. I generally go with the 2nd option.
Oh wow it's Gbay. I've started looking at your vids, you've got some really good stuff.

Got a question though, in your Lost Cause fallacy vid, you say that if you try AP Ashe and go 0/10 10 games in a row you should probably stop playing AP Ashe. Well I had a run where I won 4/30 games, which included a 10 game losing streak, which dropped me from bronze 2 to bronze 5. I also recently had a separate 11 game losing streak (I had managed to get back to b3 but that dropped me to b5 again), so should I just quit LoL altogether then?

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh wow it's Gbay. I've started looking at your vids, you've got some really good stuff.

Got a question though, in your Lost Cause fallacy vid, you say that if you try AP Ashe and go 0/10 10 games in a row you should probably stop playing AP Ashe. Well I had a run where I won 4/30 games, which included a 10 game losing streak, which dropped me from bronze 2 to bronze 5. I also recently had a separate 11 game losing streak (I had managed to get back to b3 but that dropped me to b5 again), so should I just quit LoL altogether then?

Dre, watch this one.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That's not relevant to my question. I'm asking him whether I should quit playing lol or not following his logic.

Also 'you have a 46% chance to have bad players whereas the enemy has 50%' simply refers to chance, not what will actually happen. I know for a fact that hasn't happened for me, because I have had losing lanes in probably 70-80% of my last 100 or so games. Same with afks, in theory it should be a 46% chance on your side and 50 on theirs, but in my last 100 or so games the enemy has had 2-3 afks, whereas my teams have had well over 10, probably closer to 20. I get that in theory you should have favourable probabilities, but those are just probabilities, not what will actually happen.

The positive KDA thing hasn't really happened for me either. Here are some of my recent KDAs in losing games -13/6/6 24/3/10 8/3/8 9/3/9 14/8/11 9/7/7 7/57 17/9/6. In games like these I'm usually the only one on my team positive. I also normally have the highest or second highest CS in the game, and often have the highest CS on my team even if I'm jungle. I'm just not good enough to carry losing lanes/feeders/afks, so I probably don't deserve to be that much higher than where I currently am (in terms of MMR, not rank).

I wasn't QQing about elo hell. I realise I don't deserve to be much higher because I'm not good enough to carry people who go 0/5 in lane (happens most games), and I don't know how to deal with getting camped by the jungler (also happens most games). I win lane in 80-90% of my games now but my post laning phase play is obviously really poor if I can never transition my lane lead into wins.

I just wanna know whether he thinks I should quit or not lol.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
That question seems kinda loaded.

Edit: Honestly I still don't know why you think you should be amazing at this game already. You're still pretty new.

Biggest advice is honestly improving on your builds. Rabadon's and Zhonya's Taric won't help you win games.

Edit 2: Like this 14/8/11 game, they had a Malphite and Evelynn and you bought a Maw, Merc Treads and GA when they had little tenacity affected CC and pretty much no magic damage. Builds need to be flexible.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think I should be amazing, I'm just curious as to what he thinks, because I really like a lot of his videos.

I don't play Taric, I swapped with someone because I got stuck with adc and I was trying to get out of it, plus the enemy was all AD. But if you look at my Wukong builds they're more conventional.

Player-3

Smash Hero
if u learn how to build items you can hit diamond pretty easily people dont know how to build items at all

Niko45

Smash Master
Malz is a brick wall to dive into linearly you have to flank with multiple divers or (if it's an option) just explode his tank line and overrun. His mobility is a wayyyyy bigger issue than channeled ulti to me because when his flash is down and other flashes are up, he can get blown up.

Last edited:

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
I don't think I should be amazing, I'm just curious as to what he thinks, because I really like a lot of his videos.

I don't play Taric, I swapped with someone because I got stuck with adc and I was trying to get out of it, plus the enemy was all AD. But if you look at my Wukong builds they're more conventional.
You should only quit if you *want* to. The point of that quitting video was to teach/remind players "Don't do something just for the sake of doing it". Dont play FotM champs just because people say they're strong, don't play ranked because you feel like you have to, etc etc.

If you want to quit, go ahead, but only do so if you don't get any joy out of League anymore. If you still have a strong desire to get better and keep playing, nothing will feel more amazing then when you finally get out of bronze. (Hope that made sense, I just woke up lol)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Aero- That's the only time I've ever built maw, and that was because they had 3 aps and their team was all squishy bursters, so I wanted a combination of damage and mr so I could kill them in a combo. My normal build on Wu is tank boots hydra cleaver whisper ga then a fill item depending on the game (in this case it was maw, if I was jungle it would be lizard).

You should only quit if you *want* to. The point of that quitting video was to teach/remind players "Don't do something just for the sake of doing it". Dont play FotM champs just because people say they're strong, don't play ranked because you feel like you have to, etc etc.

If you want to quit, go ahead, but only do so if you don't get any joy out of League anymore. If you still have a strong desire to get better and keep playing, nothing will feel more amazing then when you finally get out of bronze. (Hope that made sense, I just woke up lol)
Ok cool thanks man. Also I'm really glad you said in a video that elo hell exists at the point where you are visibly better than the people you are matched with, but not that much better to carry losing lanes/afks. That's what I always thought elo hell was. The 'elo hell' tag has got a bad wrap because most people who believe in it think no matter how good someone is they could not have won X game because of Y reasons. My attitude in those games where I failed to carry is not to say 'there's nothing I could have done there' but rather 'what could I have done there to have a better chance of winning?'

I will say though that I do think another aspect of elo hell is that to get a certain rank, you often need to play better than what that rank actually requires. For example I think if someone deserves to be silver, they should only have to be able to maintain a 50-55% winrate in silver 5. I'm pretty sure I could do that because I've beaten silvers (and even people who were gold in season 3) in lane before and play with silvers a lot because I often duo with my cousin who is low silver. The thing is, most low silvers, such as my cousin, like me aren't good enough to carry afks and feeders in bronze. So if someone is silver, they either got there because they got superior teams over 50% of the time, or they're just actually good enough to consistently carry afks and feeders, in which case they probably deserve to be higher than low silver, if you get me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom