• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The principle is pretty straightforward.

Say we have 25 ArPen.

Vs. a target with 25 Armor, we're going from a 20% damage reduction to a 0% damage reduction, which represents a 25% increase in damage output.

Vs. a target with 100 Armor, we're going from a 50% damage reduction to a 42.9% damage reduction, which represents a 14.3% increase in damage.

Vs. a target with 200 Armor, we're going from a 66.7% damage reduction to a 63.6%% damage reduction, which represents a 9.1% increase in damage.
Does this explain why Sorc Shoes are especially good earlyish game, since champs generally have only like 30-40 MR around that time?
Well, more than that with runes and stuff, but still.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The principle is pretty straightforward.

Say we have 25 ArPen.

Vs. a target with 25 Armor, we're going from a 20% damage reduction to a 0% damage reduction, which represents a 25% increase in damage output.

Vs. a target with 100 Armor, we're going from a 50% damage reduction to a 42.9% damage reduction, which represents a 14.3% increase in damage.

Vs. a target with 200 Armor, we're going from a 66.7% damage reduction to a 63.6%% damage reduction, which represents a 9.1% increase in damage.
Yes, but those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me without a comparison to damage output with AD as opposed to ArPen.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yes, but those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me without a comparison to damage output with AD as opposed to ArPen.
That's not the point I was making. I was pointing out that flat ArPen is more effective vs. lower Armor targets than it is vs. higher Armor targets.

The AD vs. ArPen conversation is more complicated because of all sorts of variables throughout the game. And frankly, no one pays me to theorycraft LoL stuff, so it's not really worth my time to crunch all sorts of numbers on it unless I directly care about it, which, in the case of Riven, is not the case.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That's not the point I was making. I was pointing out that flat ArPen is more effective vs. lower Armor targets than it is vs. higher Armor targets.

The AD vs. ArPen conversation is more complicated because of all sorts of variables throughout the game. And frankly, no one pays me to theorycraft LoL stuff, so it's not really worth my time to crunch all sorts of numbers on it unless I directly care about it, which, in the case of Riven, is not the case.
Well, yeah. It's a little common sense. If you give it no other context then, hurr, you're gonna deal more damage to units with low armor than high armor otherwise armor wouldn't be worth building.

I'm exaggerating it's uselessness, but without some context to put it in and a conclusion to draw from it, you don't give much meaningful information.

I say this, not primarily to bust your balls, but because, in the context of the conversation, it's misleading. It makes it seem like you're putting these numbers out in support of ArPen being better than AD. When the data you presented doesn't reach that conclusion.

I get that you don't do League themed mathematics as a hobby. Neither do I, it's why I ask, but give me something to do with this information. At what point would you recommend armor pen and at what attack damage in a build? Say I've got a choice between a second Bloodthirster and Last Whisper. Give me an idea of when ArPen matters more than AD and vice versa. Not specific situations, that's my judgement call based on information I'm hoping to acquire.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Well, yeah. It's a little common sense. If you give it no other context then, hurr, you're gonna deal more damage to units with low armor than high armor otherwise armor wouldn't be worth building.

I'm exaggerating it's uselessness, but without some context to put it in and a conclusion to draw from it, you don't give much meaningful information.

I say this, not primarily to bust your balls, but because, in the context of the conversation, it's misleading. It makes it seem like you're putting these numbers out in support of ArPen being better than AD. When the data you presented doesn't reach that conclusion.

I get that you don't do League themed mathematics as a hobby. Neither do I, it's why I ask, but give me something to do with this information. At what point would you recommend armor pen and at what attack damage in a build? Say I've got a choice between a second Bloodthirster and Last Whisper. Give me an idea of when ArPen matters more than AD and vice versa. Not specific situations, that's my judgement call based on information I'm hoping to acquire.
Again you're missing the point of that information. You are busting my balls because I wasn't talking about what you're talking about. You're changing the subject of the conversation back to ArPen vs. AD, rather than when ArPen is at it's best, which is all I was talking about.

PX said this:

You want flat AD against most matchups, but against champs that like to grab early armor/tankiness and such I go the ArPen reds/quints.
Which is a misinformed assertion because ArPen Reds/Quints are at their best vs. targets with low armor, not high armor, which is what I was proving with those numbers because they're straightforward and simple and I've had to explain this **** thousands of times to new players who don't understand how Penetration works. Nothing more. You want to draw conclusions about the comparison with AD, you run the numbers. I on the other hand, was merely pointing out that flat ArPen is at it's best vs. low Armor targets and giving easy numbers to back it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Which is misleading given the context of PhantomX's quote. I thought you were implying that one was superior. I have since recognized that I was wrong. I was asking for further information if you have it in my last post. If you don't, then you don't.

I'm not denying that I'm changing the subject back to ArPen vs. AD. It's a more useful topic. Without some idea of the effects comparatively, the fact that ArPen does more against lower armor units is trivia similar to someone calling me out for misusing the word "their."

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Actually, I take that back. It does, indeed, correct a bad assumption, but it only resets the situation after taking away a false positive.

D

Deleted member

25 armor pen best n00b raper i recommend it lower elos

nowadays though i been using armor pen reds + flat AD quints, probably not ideal but i sincerely do not give a **** about numbers per se

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll be honest, I frowned when I didn't get the AD comparison too.
You suck Mog. :( :applejack:

john!

Smash Hero
ok it's like this

every point of armor that you buy is less cost-effective if you already have high armor. the difference between 0 and 10 armor is huge, but the difference between 100 and 110 armor is not huge.

therefore, getting 10 points of armor pen when your opponent has 10 armor is huge, and getting 10 points of armor pen when your opponent has 110 armor is not huge.

so if you're in lane against jarvan or poppy or something, you don't want armor pen, because jarvan/poppy have high armor and your armor pen won't make as huge of a difference.

however, if you use AD runes to increase your AD from (for example) 50 to 55, then that's a flat 10% damage increase on autoattacks, regardless of the enemy's armor.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Just played Soraka mid and it was extremely funny.

Out farmed their carry by around 50.

Crushed Kat mid somehow.

All I did was silence her all day and starcall her *** back behind whatever was left of her minions.

D

Deleted member

OH MY GOD, no ONE GIVES A **** ABOUT UR NOOB NORMAL GAME EXPLOITS

YOU AND EVERY OTHER ****ER IN THIS THREAD YOU ****ING HOMO *** *******

Lovage

Smash Hero
AD CARRIES SOLO QUE

S
kog maw

A+
graves
urgot

A
corki
vayne
ashe

B+
my cait
mf

B
kennen
everyone else's ****TY cait

C
trist
sivir

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I love playing with an Urgot bot lane when I go Lulu.
The ults work so well together. :applejack:

D

Deleted member

i like ashe the best, good ashes are more than just farm bots ~ micro hard in team fights and can singlehandedly define the flow of the game

then kogmaw/graves/ corki about equally

urgot is extremely good also but u have to be very very good with him to be ****

otherwise i'd put him pretty close to sivir level

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
No solo queue AD Carry Ez in the list?

=

Gave my team's bot Urgot 1:55 blue while jungling, by the time I got to wolves, he got a double kill. Bot snowballed, never needed to gank.

Top Bottom