• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Release Mechanics (Vid)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Awesome vid! Had no idea Bowser could do that ****. I hope to see more Melee vids like this from GIMR/VG Bootcamp! :D

Everyone thumbs up for things Melee does better than Brawl!

Fletch

Smash Master
Mind = Blown

Didn't know about all of this, very cool video. Wish I played a decent DK or Bowser so I could take advantage, but still going to try this out.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
holy **** amazing, bowser is even more broken now
thanks for sharing this.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Wow that's pretty cool. It's a shame that Bowser doesn't have a mix up for ground release vs air release. Should catch people off guard for a while, or at least it would if anyone played Bowser.

Superspright

Smash Lord
It's cool his has wall infinites now...but who is going to get caught with a grab in a corner now? lol

Varist

Smash Lord
Damn it Melee, if you keep giving us new ATs Brawl will never catch up.

Signia

Smash Lord
Yeah

this probably isn't gonna help Bowser much unless he can regrab air releases.
It'd be interesting to see if he gets any setups or positional advantage if they air release, but that would outside the scope of this video.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
So, when will people try to get that regrab banned? XD

So bowser actually has something useful more then his up-b, time for bowsers to step it up.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Yeah

this probably isn't gonna help Bowser much unless he can regrab air releases.
Apparently they cant air release from the koopa klaw, so that leads to a regrab, and, from what I have tried, sometimes up-b or uptilt

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
afaik unless it's against a wall bowser can't actually infinite anyone.
DK can't do **** with his grab release; it's when other characters grab release him he can do stuff. Which I'm totally going to use btw.

GIMR: did you happen to test DK's cargo hold?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
@StrongBad: Yes actually, both characters go into a 10 frame animation, that animation is cancelled when you hit the ground and then you get your4 or 5 frames of landing lag. So, against fast fallerss they have positive frame advantage since they fall fast and can hit you before you shield. Character's like Marth on the other hand, have a -3 Frame advantage thus you have an advantage. The only problem is, it doesn't matter what the frame advantage is, because the really light characters are eventually able to jump or attack before they hit the ground. Like, Marth has one frame where he can jump before he hits the ground but he can't buffer it so it has to be perfectly timed. Also, both characters take 10% out of a cargo release which is just stupid so it's pretty much useless. If you can catch your opponent shielding though you should be fine and just regrab

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I'd like to see a Bowser player wall infinite a fox player with this. "How does it feel?!"
lol

Okay...for the sake of semantics:
Grab releasing is when you grab your opponent and then they break out?
Being grab released is when you're being grabbed and you break out?

One last question:
When people say mash out, how do they do it? I've always just rolled the stick, but now with this new info, I might opt to wiggle/"dash dance motion" out of grabs from now on. Unless you can just smash buttons to get out? /Lol I feel like noob nao

Signia

Smash Lord
One last question:
When people say mash out, how do they do it? I've always just rolled the stick, but now with this new info, I might opt to wiggle/"dash dance motion" out of grabs from now on. Unless you can just smash buttons to get out? /Lol I feel like noob nao
Don't use the stick to mash out, it'll screw up your DI if they throw you. Avoid the shoulder buttons as well, if you press down on them you'll put your tech on the cooldown. Mash the other buttons. I slide my thumb back and forth from B to X hitting A on the way. This should be the safest way of doing it while being decently fast.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Nice to know about the DK cargo thing, but I'm quite surprised that people didn't test these things earlier (Bowser and DK grab releases I mean).

People have known about these quirks in brawl for a very long time, and I just assumed that they were in melee too.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Follow ups to air release with Bowser are not very good.
It would be awesome if the fire breath came out in 10 frames and was jump cancelable...
air Grabrelease > fire breath > wavedash > grab > repeat
across the stage and than edgeguard :p
But sadly the fire breath is ****ing slow.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
someday in 2034 i'm gonna enter a melee tournament and finals will be me vs a bowser, wobbling and bowser infinite allowed.

voorhese

Smash Master
i knew all of this except the bowser/dk stuff. i had to experiment when my friends learned how to handoff infinite me in 2v1's >_<

nice info on the bowser/dk things though lol

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Don't use the stick to mash out, it'll screw up your DI if they throw you. Avoid the shoulder buttons as well, if you press down on them you'll put your tech on the cooldown. Mash the other buttons. I slide my thumb back and forth from B to X hitting A on the way. This should be the safest way of doing it while being decently fast.
Cool. Thanks for the tips. :)

Acryte

Smash Ace
fun information. I am surprised nowadays when I actually run into things I didn't know about this game. :) might gain you a stock if you play someone who doesn't know on poke. He's like haha stupid bowser, head right into my infinite zone... uugh wait... what?

Top Bottom