• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Ok, so DOES drill rush and dair out prioritize chain, or does it NOT? Because if they don't, then this could be a big thing for beating MKs. And we all know how much trouble that can be.

@Crossjeremiah: I'm talking about a normal chain. Especially short hopped.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Priority has no place in this question. The chain and MK's dair both do not clash, so the only thing that matters is range.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Because few people if any are fluent enough with it that they can camp MK for 8 minutes straight.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Lol, well I wouldn't expect anyone to, but I'm saying that this would be an excellent way of racking up damage, if you had the lead of course. I just think that this could become an important part of the MK matchup.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
No doubt it is, however smart MK's will learn to just wait it out so you need to learn in what situations it would be useful.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
OBJECTION! (sorry.. I just had to do that)

Galaxey Cape or whatever it is called can knock Sheik out of her chain.... my bro does it to me. T-T
Pretty much... Galaxey Cape>Chain
The only way to beat a MK is to use Needles and try to beat him at his own game.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes, but only when he's using it for his Glide Attack.

His only non-glide A attack that clashes is his dash attack.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
OBJECTION! (sorry.. I just had to do that)

Galaxey Cape or whatever it is called can knock Sheik out of her chain.... my bro does it to me. T-T
Pretty much... Galaxey Cape>Chain
The only way to beat a MK is to use Needles and try to beat him at his own game.
I thought about the cape too, but I haven't gotten much of a chance to test it (or even see it in action, lol) Is there a small amount of start up time before he swings the sword? Can you hit him before he hits you if you know where he's gonna go? I want to test this, but I don't have the time right now. Finals johns.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Dimensional Cape is probably one of the worst ideas, actually.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
sorry ankoku i could of swore that the chain jacket clashes with drill depends what attack you jacket. like fair or bair or something. and dimensional cape just sets them self up with a chain lock if you predict right.

i have a question.

is it better to chain lock with a short hop chain or reg chain.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Chain jacket does clash with Drill Rush.

Always use shorthopped chain, unless your opponent is really bad, in which case ground chain looks cooler.

saviorslegacy

When the MK that I fight does it he try to get directlt behind me. The best I have ever done was hit him as he was hitting me. :urg:

:EDIT:

O-o I know it is hacked... but this vid is awsome....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67MD0N8FphY

BTW... I found that we have a semi true chain grab Link and TLink. The CG is....
Grab> pummel> grab release> jab cancel (both hits)> dash grab> repeat
The only way to get out of it is a power shiel or breaking the grab in the air.
I'm going to test and see who all can be CG'd in this way.

I also found that she has a true CG on certain characters at low percents. ie D3
Grab> pummel (always remeber pummels... they make the grab worth while since they do 3% a piece)> F-Throw> Needles in the air (fully charged)> regrab
Figure about 26 damage + the next grab. So yeah.. pretty useful IMO.

ps I am tired of calling it "decay f-tilt into Usmash combo." WTF is with that? We have a sentance for a 2 move combo. -_- I suggest a rename. IMO it should be coined that... "Lancer/Pike Combo."
Reason= Ever hear of a Lancer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancer
*note* I am refering to a dismounted Lancer.
They are people that would carry spear (aka Lance's/Pike's). Now if you aren't an idiot you should know what the purpose of the people were.
They were there to create a wall in formatio, however, if they were fighting 1on1 they would try and get the opponent with the tip of thier spear. One of the most effective ways of doing this was to hold the spear in the middle, attack with the none pointed end of the spear at the bottom of the shaft (this will cause them to space out in front of you) and then attack with the tip of the spear for a finish blow.

Do you see how the sentance sombo and the Lancers compare? So that is my vote and why I wish for it to be called that.

Disclaimers: Don't get all flame happy people. It is just an idea and frankly it will make communication easier.... and it sounds cooler. :p

shadownoss45

Smash Cadet
can someone help figure out how to chain lock?

and narikate step? these things puzzle me plz help thx!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
When the MK that I fight does it he try to get directlt behind me. The best I have ever done was hit him as he was hitting me. :urg:

:EDIT:

O-o I know it is hacked... but this vid is awsome....
hate to say it but... right.

The only way to get out of it is a power shiel or breaking the grab in the air..
:(

I also found that she has a true CG on certain characters at low percents. ie D3
Grab> pummel (always remeber pummels... they make the grab worth while since they do 3% a piece)> F-Throw> Needles in the air (fully charged)> regrab
Figure about 26 damage + the next grab. So yeah.. pretty useful IMO.
That isn't a reliable combo at all! you can get out between each attack.

ps I am tired of calling it "decay f-tilt into Usmash combo." WTF is with that? We have a sentance for a 2 move combo. -_- I suggest a rename. IMO it should be coined that... "Lancer/Pike Combo."
Reason= Ever hear of a Lancer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancer
*note* I am refering to a dismounted Lancer.
They are people that would carry spear (aka Lance's/Pike's). Now if you aren't an idiot you should know what the purpose of the people were.
They were there to create a wall in formatio, however, if they were fighting 1on1 they would try and get the opponent with the tip of thier spear. One of the most effective ways of doing this was to hold the spear in the middle, attack with the none pointed end of the spear at the bottom of the shaft (this will cause them to space out in front of you) and then attack with the tip of the spear for a finish blow.

Do you see how the sentance sombo and the Lancers compare? So that is my vote and why I wish for it to be called that.
I just call it ftilt to usmash. The thing about a name is you want everyone to know what you are talking about. names should be easy to understand, universal within that comunity. shffl, for example is something the whole competitive melee community understand because it explains itself right off the bat. short hop fast falled L-cancel. Accronyms are awesome. I'll probablly start calling it "FU"

that said. a name is useless if no one knows what you are talking about. If they do, then you are set.

Disclaimers: Don't get all flame happy people. It is just an idea and frankly it will make communication easier.... and it sounds cooler. :p
sorry it doesn't sound cool. >: (

saviorslegacy

[/URL]
hate to say it but... right.

That isn't a reliable combo at all! you can get out between each attack.

I just call it ftilt to usmash. The thing about a name is you want everyone to know what you are talking about. names should be easy to understand, universal within that comunity. shffl, for example is something the whole competitive melee community understand because it explains itself right off the bat. short hop fast falled L-cancel. Accronyms are awesome. I'll probablly start calling it "FU"

that said. a name is useless if no one knows what you are talking about. If they do, then you are set.

sorry it doesn't sound cool. >: (
To Shadow:
Short Hop the chain, then move the analog left/right to do and then follow it back up to left/right and wiggle the C-Stick.

To heart:

What do you mean right? Right to MK hitting me or right about the Sheik hack? Sheik hack= just for lulz
MK hitting me= lulz at me from my bro -_-

I know it is not a true combo. I get so sick and tired of "oh it's not a true combo". Sheik gets her combo's by a large variety of mix ups. Needless to say... but if someone knows what ypou are about to do then her combo's will only be like f-tilt lock, jab cancel's, SHFF B/F/Nair> f-tilt> grab (at low percents) and a few other 2/4 moves combo's that only work at low percents.
It is our ability to be random that keeps us doing combo's.

Of course it isn't. ^^^^^^^ It's another mix up though.

True true.. I always liked actual names rather than accronyms. My dad is/was a Marine so I got burnt out on that kind of stuff at a young age. I do have to say that FU is the best one yet!

:urg:

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I know it is not a true combo. I get so sick and tired of "oh it's not a true combo". Sheik gets her combo's by a large variety of mix ups. Needless to say... but if someone knows what ypou are about to do then her combo's will only be like f-tilt lock, jab cancel's, SHFF B/F/Nair> f-tilt> grab (at low percents) and a few other 2/4 moves combo's that only work at low percents.
It is our ability to be random that keeps us doing combo's.

Of course it isn't. ^^^^^^^ It's another mix up though.

True true.. I always liked actual names rather than accronyms. My dad is/was a Marine so I got burnt out on that kind of stuff at a young age. I do have to say that FU is the best one yet!
Not only is it not a true combo, but its also obvious and can be done by every character in the game and can be done far more easily by many characters in the game (the one's who actually have fast pummels and good grab range).

Second, if its not a true combo then its not really worth noting (unless its really crazy and/or effective). Mix ups are important, but you can't learn every mix up off of swf, you just have to know your char/ the game and practice.

And this has been brought up before anyway. Its cool, but I think actual throws or more reliable. I'm not a fan of guessing games where there's equal chance they can punish you as you can them when you hit. =/

saviorslegacy

Not only is it not a true combo, but its also obvious and can be done by every character in the game and can be done far more easily by many characters in the game (the one's who actually have fast pummels and good grab range).

Second, if its not a true combo then its not really worth noting (unless its really crazy and/or effective). Mix ups are important, but you can't learn every mix up off of swf, you just have to know your char/ the game and practice.

And this has been brought up before anyway. Its cool, but I think actual throws or more reliable. I'm not a fan of guessing games where there's equal chance they can punish you as you can them when you hit. =/
lololol... do some testing. Most characters can't do a pummel CG at all. There are actually like none now that I think about it. You have Pika, Link (I think), G&W, maybe peach and I think someone else. Being able to do a grab release> jab> grab is hard.. but it is also effective, and if they do bring up thier shield then gues what? You hit them with a jab and now they have shield stun and you can retreat. (Hey I just thought of something... "Can you grab them after you hit their shield?") (If so then I gues we just gained a CG... *goes to test*.)
What does fast pummels have to do with it? I would rather have a pummel that is semi fast (BTW... I think the timing to doing a pummel fast is like the timing on the f-tilt lock... so then we would have a fast pummel if you did it right) and does 3% than a crappy one like Wolf's. -_-
Either way... you have 0 risk when trying to do this CG.

LMAO! Then why do we bother playing a fighting game that has like no true combo's? Almost everything is a string. lol

I didn't mention any guessing games where you have a 50% chance of being punished. (A 50% chance of being punished combo is like Gerudo.)

Anyways... I will still continue to explore Sheik and post things that are either known or half of the boards think it is stupid. It still helps.

ps There are way to many stickies. -_-

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
jab is not enough sheild stun to grab.

most characters have a way to get out of jab->grab and jab->short->grab up until a high percent (hundreds)

The training mode combo counter is way off. Setting the comp lvl to 9 helps a lot in determing what combos, (It will dodge out of things the combo counter counts on level 3s) but even still it is inacurate. best way to test is with a person.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
lololol... do some testing. Most characters can't do a pummel CG at all. There are actually like none now that I think about it. You have Pika, Link (I think), G&W, maybe peach and I think someone else. Being able to do a grab release> jab> grab is hard.. but it is also effective, and if they do bring up thier shield then gues what? You hit them with a jab and now they have shield stun and you can retreat. (Hey I just thought of something... "Can you grab them after you hit their shield?") (If so then I gues we just gained a CG... *goes to test*.)
I haven't turned on my wii in a month so I'm not testing anything. >.> I know for fact the every character can grab release every character to the ground and I know every character can grab so based on that, I'm guessing a good amount of them can perform this psuedo-chaingrab.

edit: forgot to mention. what you said is just straight up wrong. Lucas and ness can be truly cged by marth and maybe any char with similar characteristics. Bowser is the undisputed king of grab release (he even ***** sheik with it). He can cg EVERYONE (but dk) in the manner you stated and even has infinites and loads of guaranteed stuff on ppl. Learn your stuff (which is like reading one thread) before you talk.

What does fast pummels have to do with it? I would rather have a pummel that is semi fast (BTW... I think the timing to doing a pummel fast is like the timing on the f-tilt lock... so then we would have a fast pummel if you did it right) and does 3% than a crappy one like Wolf's. -_-
Fast pummels have everything to do with it. Sheik is tall so many people she grabs will jump break with no pummels and with a slow pummel like hers its like a 50-50 chance they even ground break. Note that if they jump break the "cg" doesn't work.
Either way... you have 0 risk when trying to do this CG.
With a few exceptions (Lucas, Ness, Bowser, Wario, DK?, etc.) after grab release both characters are at equal advantage/disadvantage so you pretty much put yourself in a neutral position to your opponent instead of putting yourself on the advantage like you could have with a throw.

I admit that sheik's 2 frame grab makes this situation slightly in your favor most of the time, but regardless they can shield your jab and shield grab you. So you might say, "I'll just grab then." What if they spotdodge? then you might say, "I'll jab/rapid jab." See? Guessing game. Some chars even have options equally fast or faster and they can use that.

LMAO! Then why do we bother playing a fighting game that has like no true combo's? Almost everything is a string. lol
Technically, I don't play this game. It's not as fun to practice as melee was. *sigh* I'll probably force myself to start playing again when school's done.
I didn't mention any guessing games where you have a 50% chance of being punished. (A 50% chance of being punished combo is like Gerudo.)

Anyways... I will still continue to explore Sheik and post things that are either known or half of the boards think it is stupid. It still helps.

ps There are way to many stickies. -_-
Helps who? And most of things you post are thought to be stupid because they are known and posting known things is kind of obnoxious. =/ I like your eagerness to progress sheik, but if you're going to spend the time you might as well do it effectively. If you're really bored master obscure brawl techs and implent them into your game so we can evolve sheik more. Better yet, get good and **** m2k. That would really help sheik's meta.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
i kind of found out you can kind of plank an mk. ill post a vid of something i did ...it was grabbing the ledge three times in a row. and it tried to gimp me then i got back up and baired him k/o just throwing something out there you can do to mk. ya its common sense... i dont want to be flamed xD

Villi

Smash Lord
When you ground release someone from a grab, you are both at even advantage. That's a 50/50 guessing game. It's not a difficult concept to understand: If they guess right, they win the guessing game; if you guess right, you win the guessing game.

There are few exceptions:

If you are ground released by Bowser, he has a 10 frame advantage so he has a major strategic advantage.

If you ground release Donkey Kong, he recovers 10 frames faster than you do so it's not a smart idea to grab release him.

If you grab release Ness/Lucas, they recover 10 frames slower than you do so do what you want.

Characters who are shorter than you will always be air released unless you are mid pummel when they are released. That's why a fast pummel is beneficial for getting more consistent ground releases. Wolf has a very fast pummel, so more often than not, he can get a ground release if he wants. Zelda has a very slow pummel, so her chances are much smaller.

Read the stickies. -_- Also, try doing searches in Tactical Discussion with pertinent keywords for what you're testing. That way you can make informed observations and don't come up with half-***** results.

BRANman

Smash Cadet
Hey. I'm just picking up sheik and I'm not sure if I'm chainlocking properly. Any tips (like what's the best way to move the control stick?) Thanks

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Just jumping in...

Has anyone checked on all the wall clings that are possible for Sheik
I know Lucario, Squirtle, and Diddy have it too but I just like Sheik better and it's one of the things I was wanting to implement into my game a lot.

I know PS 1 has a ton of wall clings but I don't have my wii for a bit to see if the annoying Windmill could be used, I supposed it could but I never tested.

Rainbow Cruise has a couple including the falling blocks, which I find the most fun.

has anyone made a list or guide to all of the wall clings let me know cuz I'm kinda wanting to since I'm getting bored with YS, even though it makes for fun matches.

DZLE

Smash Master
Ok... So I am a marth secondary and during Utah's Tourney of Fate I played against a Shiek.
I wasnt having too much trouble with the matchup, Mainly the players fault he wasnt that good...
So, He had his last stock and I started WOP'ing him with Fairs. When he was off the edge he kept trying to up B to the left to save himself, but then another of my Fairs would hit. Finally he got his Up-B off, and so I jumped to the left to then Up-B to save myself.

...But something I have never seen happened.
He had used UP-B, and was Vanished (which I am pretty sure you cant touch them when they are dissapeared but I dont know...) So he was in the invincible frames, and when I jump, Marth jumped REAL high like I footstooled him, and his character glitched out of thin air and fell straight down to his death.
We both looked at eachother like...? Because he was in the invincible frames or whatever...
I rushed to check if it was recording but It wasnt.

This ever happened to anyone else?

DZLE

Smash Master
You can footstool invincible people.
Well yeah but...
I didnt think anything could be done against shiek when she was Invisible during the Up-B. You can whiff attackes right through it, jump right through it, etc... And I have been trying to recreate it but havent been able to.
So I dunno maybe its normal >.>

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231916

Potentially helpful to string throws together? Or maybe a safer option than dash grab?
it's very unsafe
I guess I can see why you'd say that, but sheik slides a bit further than marth if that makes a difference AND

true pivot to pivot boost grab.
Once you master this you're basically wavedashing around your opponent. It also makes grabbing MKs way too easy making that matchup 55-45 at worst sheik's favor! Sheik is a legit MK counter if you can master this!!!!!!!
April fools =P & <3 Chok
Originally that was a joke, but if you DAC during it sheik would probably slide much farther. It worked well with falco, but I couldn't do it with sheik because everything DAC related is horribly difficult with her.

Top Bottom