• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's variable, since you're (hopefully) canceling after the second jab, which has knockback growth.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
lol... one jab= death wish

BTW... USE THE F*CKING PIVOT GRAB! I just started putting that into my game. Let me just say "very useful". Also do the dash away from (cancels) the foe dash towards the foe and grab. It confuses people and there you go... free grab.

:EDIT: I found out that Fair can combo into grab.

Also try and do the second grab tip I listed + the pivot grab (after you run by). That really confuses them and they just shield. I have also started doing that pivot pivot grab thing. Pretty useful as well. IMO... We should use a hella of a lot more pivot grabs since it has more range than a normal grab + you slide away so it is safer.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
When I play against Shaeden's Marth, he tells me that he beats a lot of people's running approaches by just grabbing when they get close, since Marth's grab range pretty much outranges a lot of the cast's running grabs. It's a mixup, yeah, but lately I've been noticing that you're putting a huge amount of hype on every little mixup you find. They're not amazing or anything, just nice to do every once in a while to keep the opponent on his toes.

saviorslegacy

lately I've been noticing that you're putting a huge amount of hype on every little mixup you find.
meh... I act serious IRL. This is the internet though so I am allowed to act semi stupid here. I try not to do it a lot on SWF though.

"every little mix up"
I have been finding a few. Here's the thing though.. a lot of mix ups memorized= better comboing
If I know like three options after every attack and options after the attack that I just used then I can predict and keep the combo going. I have got three 0 to deaths on people here receantly. I based my prediction on what I learned when I chained DThrow. from there I had a guess of how they DI under pressure. So apply the pressure with a combo and guess their DI by whet you just learned. Throw in a little decay combo/FU and you have high tier.

*claps*

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
????. i usually have decayed fair and ftilt and use that alot. but usually i mixup with a guessing game. with them. when they are in the air. i just attack with either. uair or fair or just short hop then grab when they are near. or punish with dacus. but thats just a paper scissors rock kind of game.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
meh... I act serious IRL. This is the internet though so I am allowed to act semi stupid here. I try not to do it a lot on SWF though.
Yeah, 'cause this makes total sense. You can be serious IRL, where things like tone can easily give it away, but on the Internet you act stupid - but only when you're wrong.

"every little mix up"
I have been finding a few. Here's the thing though.. a lot of mix ups memorized= better comboing
What? Just.... WHAT?

You know what? Go ahead. Keep "comboing" people with mixups so you can "evolve" your "metagame" and after everything's said and done, exclaim "Tristan's right!"

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Yeah, 'cause this makes total sense. You can be serious IRL, where things like tone can easily give it away, but on the Internet you act stupid - but only when you're wrong.

What? Just.... WHAT?

You know what? Go ahead. Keep "comboing" people with mixups so you can "evolve" your "metagame" and after everything's said and done, exclaim "Tristan's right!"

as much as i hate ankoku i give him

9001>intenets.

saviorslegacy

Sorry but it is hard to be to serious about screen pixels.

What? Just.... WHAT?

You know what? Go ahead. Keep "comboing" people with mixups so you can "evolve" your "metagame"

k I will, thanks for the support.

and after everything's said and done, exclaim "Tristan's right!"
Well that showed maturity. Leave him out of it. I just gave him credit.
"Watch an old movie and you will see that they have these things called credits at the beginning."
The people mentioned are the HELPFUL guys who don't troll forums.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Tristan himself had nothing to do with it. It was simply a direct quote from one of your threads. Tristan's a cool guy and what he's found and contributed I actually appreciate. If you want to blame me for anything else, leave him out of it.

And seriously, trying to be helpful with the wrong info is actually harmful. I'm really pissed at how much jargon is being thrown around incorrectly by people lately.

saviorslegacy

Not really incorrectly. The only thing that has been thrown around is strings. No one has even called them combo's unless they forgot to type the word combo. Most people should already know that we have found most if not all of her true combo (unless a new glitch is found). The only thing that is left is possible decay combo's (which will act like low % combo's at high %'s) and maybe a few over looked options. However this is Brawl where little is legit.

There is nothing wrong with messing around with stuff that everyone thinks is fail. let me tell you two stories.

I read some where that WD was something that was over looked for 2 years. Everyone thought it was fail. That it would be a dead end. coughdecaycough Then someone won a tourney with it and it got attention.

Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. He experimented with this fail idea and failed 10,00o times. Well he eventually found the right way to make one.

Same thing that is happening here. We are testing ALL of her options no matter how absurd they may be in hopes of finding something useful.
You shouldn't frown on this advancement.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The following terms have been misused:
metagame, combo, mixup, dragon punch, decay, easy, chaingrab, and probably three or four others
all in the past two weeks.

Another case of wrong information?

Wavedashing was not thought of as fail, but rather used as a method to easily pick up items off the ground while still moving. It later found other applications, but wavedashing itself was never seen as a useless technique.

Attack decay being used to true combo off of Sheik's ftilt, among other things, was figured out last summer. It was never seen as worthless except maybe during March and early April.

Thomas Edison never sent his 10,000 failed attempts out into the public. He waited until he got it right before publishing his findings and invention.

Problem that is happening here. You're pushing ALL these things, some old and others flat out wrong, hoping for recognition on a "discovery" of some sort.
With a track record of 30% known, 65% false, and 5% new, I can't say I've really been encouraged by what you have to "contribute."

Tristan_win

Not dead.
meh, I prefer AlphaZealot version since it seems more smash focused

Metagame: The metagame refers to a number of different things. First, there can be a player versus player metagame, which two players who may have a significant skill gap overall happen to have close matches due to repetition of play (experience) and knowledge of the other person’s tactics. The second is the overall level a person plays at, usually referred to in a generality, like the high level metagame. Lastly the metagame, as a definition, is how a person thinks during a match, similar to the term mind games.

saviorslegacy

The following terms have been misused:
metagame, combo, mixup, dragon punch, decay, easy, chaingrab, and probably three or four others
all in the past two weeks.
metagame= <3 just skyped me about it

combo= *miss type maybe? I just sometimes forget to call it a string.

mixup= how is this used incorrectly?

WTF is a dragon punch?

decay= no u.. I use this how I please.

chaingrab= if I call it a stringgrab will that make you happy?

Wavedashing was not thought of as fail, but rather used as a method to easily pick up items off the ground while still moving. It later found other applications, but wavedashing itself was never seen as a useless technique.
They had items in tournies back then?

Attack decay being used to true combo off of Sheik's ftilt, among other things, was figured out last summer. It was never seen as worthless except maybe during March and early April.
*not advanced much has it?

Problem that is happening here. You're pushing ALL these things, some old and others flat out wrong, hoping for recognition on a "discovery" of some sort.
With a track record of 30% known, 65% false, and 5% new, I can't say I've really been encouraged by what you have to "contribute."
Not for recognition. I run a clan I get enough of that there. I am trying to improve Sheik though. Sorry for getting in your way. <,<

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
wtf is a string grab.

Why does a random little mixup need such a whacked out term.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
: ( There it is again.
"This sounds like a dumb idea..."
"Oh... I was just joking."

whateverz

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?
Chaingrab is still being used wrongly, and "stringgrab" is so much of a joke that it can only be connected to one person.

Good thing that if all goes well, I will never see that kind of **** happen again.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
haha, I'm going to try to print out my meta knight and snake chart before I go to work so I can study.

Getting payed to study smash, too good.

edit: cross hit those book!

sniperworm

Smash Ace
WTF is a dragon punch?
It's a term that comes from Street Fighter. It refers to Ryu and Ken's jumping uppercut special move (Shoryuken).

It can be used in a variety of contexts including referring to the motion to execute a move (Forward, Down, Down-Forward, and a button) or it can refer to a move that's similar to the Shoryuken (aka an attack with high priority/invincibility (typically an anti-air), that launches yourself into the air and then you have a vulnerable period as you come back down).

The Brawl equivalent would be moves like Marth or Mario's UpB. Obviously there's no moves in Brawl that are executed with the dragon punch motion.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys, i just started using sheik today, i was wondering if she gets pwned by Pika's New buffered Chaingrabs? or can she escape? according to their guide, she gets grabbed till 105% :(

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
She's a fast faller so she probably does get ***** by it like they say. I haven't tested though.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Hey, guys, i just started using sheik today, i was wondering if she gets pwned by Pika's New buffered Chaingrabs? or can she escape? according to their guide, she gets grabbed till 105% :(
The pika guys are pretty effective in their testing from my experience hanging in their chat.

I'd Trust that number unless you can think of something they would have overlooked.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
pika new grab runs off of decay so just don't get grab in the low %s and he wont be able to chain grab you to 105%. In other words get hit by something other then the grab or don't get grabbed, your choice. I suggest ledge planking if you are really that worried about getting grabbed since by doing so you are more or less forcing pika to hit you in some other way.

~goes back to fall out 3~

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
i jump into down smashes and thunder jolts.

It's like tristan said getting your damage up isn't a bad idea espeacially if you are up a stock espeacily. evadind dsmash -> usmash is greater than letting yourself take 50 damage.

saviorslegacy

Wait does this mean that we only need to take a small percent of damage or like 30%?

(hey look another use of decay....)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
AAAah-CHOOoo! http://i40.tinypic.com/4qge4n.jpg

Sorry, I really should cover my mouth :laugh:

No not really the person I mention in my thread (who I've yet to ask if he/she wishes to be named) program seem to be pumping out the numbers again and if what he/she says is true then we will have all the data rather soon.

anyone pumped?

~crawls back to fall out 3, which is amazing by the way.~

saviorslegacy

AAAah-CHOOoo! http://i40.tinypic.com/4qge4n.jpg

Sorry, I really should cover my mouth :laugh:

No not really the person I mention in my thread (who I've yet to ask if he/she wishes to be named) program seem to be pumping out the numbers again and if what he/she says is true then we will have all the data rather soon.

anyone pumped?

~crawls back to
Uhhh.. what is that exactly?

saviorslegacy

Basically every possible decay listed next to every possible percentage sheik can combo mario from the ftilt and on the top listing how much frame advantage sheik would have for landing a ftilt at that said decay and percentage.

In other words, ... >:3
in other words.... :confused:
I hate and love you.....

:EDIT:
People as about the Dair some times. So this is my opinion on it.

Use it when you are high up to get down to the stage fast. (Make sure the move finishes before you hit.)

Use it to aid in recovery.
No I'm not crazy. <,<
Remember how CF's and Ganons would use down B over the ledge and then use their up B? Well same concept. If you are at the top corner you can just use Dair and then up B to grab the ledge.

Dair is a great safety tool. Ah don't look at me that way. <,<
Here is an example:
f-tilt> footstool> screw up> Dair real quick before they punish you
Pretty much just cath onto your screw up quick enough and Dair. The knockback will be great enough to keep you from punishment.

Dairing as an attack is not always smart. It has way to much ending lag and the hit box isn't out the entire time she is performing it. So if you do use it make sure they aren't expecting it.

Dair to be different!

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
in other words.... :confused:
I hate and love you.....

:EDIT:
People as about the Dair some times. So this is my opinion on it.

Use it when you are high up to get down to the stage fast. (Make sure the move finishes before you hit.)

Use it to aid in recovery.
No I'm not crazy. <,<
Remember how CF's and Ganons would use down B over the ledge and then use their up B? Well same concept. If you are at the top corner you can just use Dair and then up B to grab the ledge.
In melee I think they get their second jump back if they down b, which would explain why they did that. Bowser's down b might be a better example, but dair doesn't have the priority speed or ability to sweet spot like it does. It makes your recovery linear and lessens your options, but I'm admittedly speaking from a theory point of view. I've never actually tried this.

Dair is a great safety tool. Ah don't look at me that way. <,<
Here is an example:
f-tilt> footstool> screw up> Dair real quick before they punish you
Pretty much just cath onto your screw up quick enough and Dair. The knockback will be great enough to keep you from punishment.
Dair can be punished/dodged on reaction, I doubt your opponent won't "catch onto your screw up". If you must attack, just fast fall a nair or something, much safer and probably faster despite dair's fall speed.
Dairing as an attack is not always smart. It has way to much ending lag and the hit box isn't out the entire time she is performing it. So if you do use it make sure they aren't expecting it.

Dair to be different!
As time goes on, I find this move less and less useful. I guess its because when I used to dair (to bait an usmash/air/tilt and punish) I just charge needles and air dodge now. =/ Definately not a useless move, but its got few reasonable uses outside of baiting an attack from above.

saviorslegacy

In melee I think they get their second jump back if they down b, which would explain why they did that. Bowser's down b might be a better example, but dair doesn't have the priority speed or ability to sweet spot like it does. It makes your recovery linear and lessens your options, but I'm admittedly speaking from a theory point of view. I've never actually tried this.
Using that saved me from a TL's Bair today.

Dair can be punished/dodged on reaction, I doubt your opponent won't "catch onto your screw up". If you must attack, just fast fall a nair or something, much safer and probably faster despite dair's fall speed.
f-tilt> footstool> screw up> Dair
I wish that Nair could link... cuz then that would be a 20 to death on most people.
Basically you just footstooled them. They CAN'T punish you.
Pretty much a safety move when used like this.

As time goes on, I find this move less and less useful. I guess its because when I used to dair (to bait an usmash/air/tilt and punish) I just charge needles and air dodge now. =/ Definately not a useless move, but its got few reasonable uses outside of baiting an attack from above.
I usally don't use it for attacking.. or baiting. To risky IMO.

Top Bottom