• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
sheik's dair doesn't aid in recovery at all. Its a good mix up when used similarly to bowser's Down B

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
If you screw up the Savior Combo you can Dair.
ie you messed up your trajectory, you footstooled odd and they can get up to soon, you went up to high or you forgot to Bair at the correct time

To <3:
WTH would you use Bowser Bomb over the pit?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So you can grab the ledge quickly from really high up in the air while covering yourself with a heavy-damage hitbox?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
You want to use dair close to the stage when you opponent is in the air or far off on the other side to reach the stage faster. Using dair off stage kills your horizonal distance so much significantly lowering your when options recovering.

dair (when recovering) should be used as your final approach if at all.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Dair can be used very sparingly to disrupt your opponent while they're juggling you. The stall from the startup can make them miss you and most people kind of forget that Sheik even has a Dair.

While recovering, um, it's really dangerous to try unless you're really high but close to the stage.

Has anyone tried that Dair stall technique with Sheik (where you jump and Dair after getting hit and you kind of float)? Can Sheik move sideways while doing it just like TL? Just curious.

saviorslegacy

Dair can be used very sparingly to disrupt your opponent while they're juggling you. The stall from the startup can make them miss you and most people kind of forget that Sheik even has a Dair.

While recovering, um, it's really dangerous to try unless you're really high but close to the stage.

Has anyone tried that Dair stall technique with Sheik (where you jump and Dair after getting hit and you kind of float)? Can Sheik move sideways while doing it just like TL? Just curious.
I do it to slow myself down after I have been launched (or at least I think it slows you down).
Not a good idea to base a tech off of getting hit. <,<

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I do it to slow myself down after I have been launched (or at least I think it slows you down).
Not a good idea to base a tech off of getting hit. <,<
Um, I didn't come up with it, I read about it on the tactical boards (the thread that lists all the ATs). Besides, I never stated that I thought it was a good idea, I was just wondering if Sheik was capable of getting the horizontal drift that TL can (because I like doing weird things in friendlies, so sue me).

saviorslegacy

Um, I didn't come up with it, I read about it on the tactical boards (the thread that lists all the ATs). Besides, I never stated that I thought it was a good idea, I was just wondering if Sheik was capable of getting the horizontal drift that TL can (because I like doing weird things in friendlies, so sue me).
Whoa whoa whoa... I didn't mean any insults. <,<
Yes it does deliver horizontal drift.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Doing the dair after you've been launched doesn't slow your launch down. Hitting down to get fastfall during the attack does, though.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Ah nice didn't know that.
Is there any airials that does slow you down?
Nope. No attack spare GaW's bucket will slow you while in hit stun.

fastfalling is the only other thing that will slow your momentum. And you can only fast fall from hit stun if you've done an A attack to break it early.

saviorslegacy

Nope. No attack spare GaW's bucket will slow you while in hit stun.

fastfalling is the only other thing that will slow your momentum. And you can only fast fall from hit stun if you've done an A attack to break it early.
Oh so that is why people always use an airial when they are DIing.
Looks like I need to go back and reread how to DI.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Oh so that is why people always use an airial when they are DIing.
Looks like I need to go back and reread how to DI.
yeah. it's called "Momentum Cancelling." you use your fastest aerial (specials dont count) and then fastfall. This plus DI results in the highest survival rate and best recovery.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I think this fastest aerial stuff confuses people.

The aerial you chose doesn't really matter as far as canceling your momentum is concerned. You throw out any aerial and you can immediately fast fall (when the hit box is out and all that doesn't matter here). The reason why you want to chose the fastest ending aerial is so you can immediately jump (if need be) to further slow your momentum. Normally you only want to do this when you would otherwise reach the blast zone.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Makes sense. I fast fall fair so I can use the same move for getting launched in both directions.

saviorslegacy

Just wondering... what is Sheiks fastest airial? Oh, and do sex kicks mess up your fast fall when DIing?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik's nair hits the fastest at frame 3. Sheik's fair ends the soonest.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
just because its the aerial . does that mean you momentum cancel with a nair....??? but thatd be silly because you still have to di. which the only choice is fair bair and uair and dair. but the obvious choice would be fair (fast fall)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Would any of the outstanding Sheiks here like to play me pretty regularly (a few times a week) to help me understand techniques, spacing and such better? I need to take my play to the next level. I'm not as good with Sheik as my other characters so I wouldn't stand much of a chance at all, but it would be much appreciated.

saviorslegacy

Would any of the outstanding Sheiks here like to play me pretty regularly (a few times a week) to help me understand techniques, spacing and such better? I need to take my play to the next level. I'm not as good with Sheik as my other characters so I wouldn't stand much of a chance at all, but it would be much appreciated.
I am by no means outstanding, but I can use Sheik. I have fought many different good players and some pro.

Thing is, I need to fight new people so I can adept my play style to yours so I wont get punished. I also need to do some testing is a match. coughfootstoolcough

So we can help each other out if you wish.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I am by no means outstanding, but I can use Sheik. I have fought many different good players and some pro.

Thing is, I need to fight new people so I can adept my play style to yours so I wont get punished. I also need to do some testing is a match. coughfootstoolcough

So we can help each other out if you wish.
sounds great, especially considering your discovery of sheik's infinite. If you want I'll use my Marth and ROB sometimes when we play, if you think you need help with matchups... idk :crazy:

is anyone else willing to help me?

saviorslegacy

sounds great, especially considering your discovery of sheik's infinite. If you want I'll use my Marth and ROB sometimes when we play, if you think you need help with matchups... idk :crazy:

is anyone else willing to help me?
lol, that tech is like trying to shoot a bullet with a smaller bullet while riding a horse blind folded. In other words I have only performed it 5 times in a real match. :p
(my bro mains R.O.B.)

I'm not saying that it is impossible, I'm saying it is near impossible on wi-fi. (I have only performed it on an Oli once online.)

Either way I have spit is people's faces that say that the tech is not for tournies.

BTW... Tristan I should have that Fair to footstool vid up here soon with the 0 - death in it. ;)
*hint*

Rawnie

Smash Champion
Does anyone know if this works or could test this?

Air grab release > needles

On Meta Knight? I got this to work in some friendlies yesterday, but I'm not sure if they just didn't see it coming. It would be a lot easier than using DACUS and it does 18% damage. Just a thought. Sorry if this is known/doesn't work.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
But when do we shoryuken?

[Edit:] It's not as as though the information and work isn't appreciated, but this is hard to make sense of and outside of seeing the chart, I most likely won't remember it. Options during a match change depending on the character and situation. It's better to be able to adapt to the situation on the fly, and this chart really doesn't account for that. That makes this assume all conditions are favorable which is categorized under pure theory.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Dude, just hold the control stick in the proper direction and press A. I don't see what's so difficult about this.

saviorslegacy

Dude, just hold the control stick in the proper direction and press A. I don't see what's so difficult about this.
*The early percent and the later percents are the problem.

I pretty much have that whole chart memorized and I know pretty much all that the specific character combo's. I also use all of this information in Brawls. Thus it's not like you are going: "Uh what did the chart say?"

BTW... I also can decay properly without throwing numbers around in my head now. I have done it so much that I just have a feel for her.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
*The early percent and the later percents are the problem.

I pretty much have that whole chart memorized and I know pretty much all that the specific character combo's. I also use all of this information in Brawls. Thus it's not like you are going: "Uh what did the chart say?"

BTW... I also can decay properly without throwing numbers around in my head now. I have done it so much that I just have a feel for her.
I'm looking forward to seeing videos from you then. I and the rest of the sheik community should expect nothing less than perfect play.

saviorslegacy

I'm looking forward to seeing videos from you then. I and the rest of the sheik community should expect nothing less than perfect play.
Maybe not perfect... but you will see u-tilt, Fair and f-tilt decay being used effectively.

clowsui

Smash Legend
saviors if i have a free spot in my smashfest next week you can drive two hours to come
the problem with focusing on decay is that you end up deciding what you want to do despite the possible situation making it completely ineffective...i'll show you the limits of your play and execution, so long as you confirm that you'll drive to cincy next week.

saviorslegacy

saviors if i have a free spot in my smashfest next week you can drive two hours to come
the problem with focusing on decay is that you end up deciding what you want to do despite the possible situation making it completely ineffective...i'll show you the limits of your play and execution, so long as you confirm that you'll drive to cincy next week.
I don't have a car. The only way for me to get up there is to have a parent take me. I'll ask mom if she has any errands up there. If she does I will be there in a heart beat. If not then I will be unable to attend.
BTW.. I have the ACT next Saturday. So if it is on the same day then the answer is no.

I mainly decay Fair and f-tilt. U-tilt is also a nice decay... but only good on certain match ups.
To prove my point look at the decay and none decay options on those two moves on my chart.

BTW guys... here is a new trick to do with Sheik.
grab> pummel> F/B-Throw> wait below them for them to land> dash in> pivot> pivot grab> throw them back into the same direction that they came from

Do this really fast and it really confuses them. I usually get a follow up, and if Fair is decayed you can footstool. That will lead into even more combo's and possibly a Swan or Saltus.
Oh, I did perform this in a match. I failed to do much after the footstool though.

Oh, and I think Sheik has a jab lock. I need to test it but here it is:
footstool> SH back flip FF Bair> repeat
I'm thinking the lower foot would be better for this.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Either you're playing Wifi too much or your opponent is a moron. I'm dead serious about this one, too. It's not even a valid idea for a mixup.

Top Bottom