• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I mean, if we're being totally honest to ourselves, I don't think Geno had any Square Enix competition since i'm confident that Nintendo chose him, lol.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, we’re in complete agreement.

I just think if I had to pick one competitor, i’d probably go Sephiroth. I actually think 2B might end up being a Mii Swordfighter costume.

D

Deleted member

While I totally understand your points, one thing I'd like to point out is the fact that Sakurai doesn't seem very shy about throwing his corporate Nintendo overlords under the bus if he disagrees with their decisions. That said, he's never mentioned them as the culprits behind Geno's exclusion thus far. This makes me very suspicious as to what's been going on behind the curtain here.

As for the marketing thing, consider this: What possible marketing strategy could there have been with regards to say, Piranha Plant? I know this topic is fairly controversial, but let's look at the reasoning here...

1) Mario Franchise: Oooooh look another Mario character! That should drive up sales, right?....Uh really though? The Mario franchise already has the most reps in Smash with the only competition being Pokemon and soon be Fire Emblem. Does anyone honestly think that adding a generic Mario enemy of all characters is going to significantly impact the sales of Smash Ultimate? C'mon, people. COME ON. Why not Waluigi? Why not a myriad of actually NAMED Mario characters? Even if we got any of them, would it make a significant impact anywhere near the third party characters? Probably not.

2) Iconicness: I love it when people throw this around as a justification. "Oh, but the plant is iconic and highly recognizable!" Yeah, sure, but so is Goomba...or Koopa Troopa....or hammer bro...or Kamek/magikoopa, the latter three having actual LIMBS to fight with being a plus. If we wanted to go purely based on "iconicness" why not pick hardcore mainstays like them? It just feels so arbitrary.

3) First Party vs Third party: I think it's pretty safe to say that third party newcomers have always had a bigger impact on the appeal of Smash for one simple reason: Crossover hype. That's the ENTIRE DRAW of Smash bros in the first place. People want to see Mario vs Sonic, Snake vs Cloud, Megaman vs Banjo, crazy off-the-wall grudge matches you'd never see anywhere else. If I wanted to see Mario beat up a Mario enemy, I'd just play....(wait for it)...a Mario game. Granted, I know third parties are probably expensive and harder to procure, but I would imagine that their impact on sales is worth it considering that the amount of third parties has continued to skyrocket since Brawl. Makes sense, since each one expands the ludicrous reach of this particular crossover. MORE CROSSING OVER. So why lean on the mundane like a generic first party enemy?

Mind you, I'm not so much trying to bash Plant or debate its place on the roster as much as demonstrating that there doesn't seem to be much logic or intelligence to Nintendo's marketing strategy when it came to picks like that if they did in fact push their inclusion. To be utterly frank, if the choice was indeed purely creative on the part of Sakurai, then I have to say I find his judgment somewhat lacking at times. (this is just my opinion, please don't lynch me) I'll tell you this though, if we get a different SE character instead of Geno, it will say VOLUMES as to Nintendo and SE's feelings towards Geno.
Sorry, I should have worded it to be clear that I meant third party inclusions, the things that actually cost Nintendo to put into the game. Everything that Nintendo can get for free doesn't have to mean a damn thing, though it's fair to say that typically they do benefit off of these inclusions via advertisement, but at the end of the day, characters like Piranha Plant are roster padding. The more you're able to squeeze in, the better, as you're able to +1 your character count and use it as a selling point. No use in bringing the likes of Pichu and Young Link back, but you wouldn't be able to say "Everyone is Here!" without them.

Piranha Plant just has the unfortunate circumstance that we expected better and he didn't make it into the base game, so it's easy to overlook the fact that if he had been produced on time, there would have been a handful of spirit event battles with him which also pads the content of the game. As a standalone DLC, they're just trying to recoup whatever time was spent putting spit and polish on him after the game went ready to launch.

This mindset that if Nintendo can accomplish a major goal for free or low cost, they're going to do it, is why I have become very confident in Waluigi. Sakurai wants to delight the fans, Nintendo wants to save money, Mario's got an anniversary to celebrate. I'm not the best at math but I can add.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
Ngl you could put Geno in the game and people who didn't even know who he was would probably eat it up because you mentioned he was from Mario.

I'm only half joking here lol
LOL Fair enough. I really do find it disgusting sometimes, the power of a brand name. To be honest, I find that to be the single most concerning thing about the modern gaming industry. When a franchise makes bank simply because it has the Mario logo, or the Legend of Zelda logo, or the Pokemon logo slapped on it, devs tend to get painfully lax about quality (glares at Gamefreak). I'm dead serious when I say that Nintendo could literally scoop a dog turd into a game case, slap "Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 3 Ultimate Deluxe" on the front of it, and a sizeable amount of people would buy it without any regard to the warnings online that it was actually not a game, but literal crap. lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing Mario or Zelda of being crap or anything, I'm just saying that people mindlessly buy games based on franchise regardless of the content.

D

Deleted member

I've got a weird relationship with Piranha Plant. Despite it being hilariously fun and being my second best character, I'd still swap its place with someone like Waluigi, Geno, Dixie, Lloyd or Isaac in a heartbeat. I don't even particularly care about the latter three.
No, definitely. I'm not remotely as angry as I was on November 1, 2018 and have come to accept Piranha Plant as a... as having a moveset, but it's the biggest slap to the nuts a fan of any established character that Nintendo owns could possibly receive. I just cope by telling myself that Sakurai wanted a character who can press B to escape almost any situation and just couldn't formulate that kind of moveset for any character who can't vomit a morning star on command.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I just cope by telling myself that Sakurai wanted a character who can press B to escape almost any situation and just couldn't formulate that kind of moveset for any character who can't vomit a morning star on command.
Lol y'know, you putting it like that just makes me glad we didn't get Spike from Mario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lol y'know, you putting like that just makes me glad we didn't get Spike from Mario.
I thought about him as I typed it and just shrugged and said to myself Sakurai probably couldn't have thought of any other moves aside from vomiting a morning star on command. As trashy as he is, Piranha Plant has at least demonstrated a wide variety of abilities throughout Mario's 35 years.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Joker was revealed roughly a month after Plant and Corrin and Bayo were revealed roughly a month after Cloud. Definitely not impossible.
and even if November proves to have nothing, there is still the matter of the Mario 35th anniversary Challenge Cup, where they could hold the tournament early enough on for a potential reveal/release to occur a week at most later in December

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Ngl you could put Geno in the game and people who didn't even know who he was would probably eat it up because you mentioned he was from Mario.

I'm only half joking here lol
Geno is a really cool concept in general; a possessed doll armed with magic and heavy weaponry?! Considering Sakurai's known affinity for action figures and collecting them, I think he may decide to lean in on that angle with Geno's moveset and animations; and I think something like that would still be appealing to people who aren't familiar with the character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm super suspicious because, like I've shown a couple of times this week, Nintendo has made it a huge point since 2012 to have a November presentation of some kind. If they don't have a Direct then they have a presentation focused on a particular game and if they don't have a particular game they want to highlight then they do a DLC presentation. AoC has gotten a ton of coverage including a TGS showcase AND a Treehouse segment so that all but rules that out Crown Tundra was pushed up to October so that's ruled out too. New stuff and Smash is literally it now because Nintendo made it a point to call this last Partner the last of the year. Even during Nintendo's most bone dry years in the past decade, they've still made it a point to present something of some kind in November.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm super suspicious because, like I've shown a couple of times this week, Nintendo has made it a huge point since 2012 to have a November presentation of some kind. If they don't have a Direct then they have a presentation focused on a particular game and if they don't have a particular game they want to highlight then they do a DLC presentation. AoC has gotten a ton of coverage including a TGS showcase AND a Treehouse segment so that all but rules that out Crown Tundra was pushed up to October so that's ruled out too. New stuff and Smash is literally it now because Nintendo made it a point to call this last Partner the last of the year. Even during Nintendo's most bone dry years in the past decade, they've still made it a point to present something of some kind in November.
To add to this, within the past two years, both November Directs have been Smash-themed.
  • November 2018 = final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct before the release of the game.
  • November 2019 = Mr. Sakurai Presents Terry Bogard
Going even further back in past years, most November Directs have been themed around an upcoming game, and have gone live within the first (or second) week of November. Again, the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open October 2020 Tournament wraps up this Sunday, November 1st. So far this year these Online Open/VS Cup Tournaments have been 2 for 2 in regards to being followed up with a DLC character reveal. Also, although there is another Smash tournament scheduled for December (themed after Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary), it would make more sense if CP 8 in fact does end up being Geno, for him to be revealed soon after the current tournament, with a release date sometime around late November (maybe the very last week) so that he may be among the available Super Mario fighters for the 35th Anniversary tournament.

I'm not insisting blindly on this possibility out of a whim. It's been a notable pattern within this year, and in regards to "spacing out" character reveals, imo, there should be one more character reveal before the end of 2020 in order to maintain the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 releases at a relative equal yearly distribution (3 on 2020, 3 on 2021).

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
While I'm unsure about a November reveal , a December one to go along the Mario tournament would be perfect.
Only a 2 months wait between Steve and Geno might be too small , but for all we know , Geno could only release the month after , making it a 3 months gap , being more reasonnable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So if we do get something in November, it will either be in the first or second week of November correct? 🤔
More than likely. Going all the way back to 2012, the international presentations have always been in the first half of the month and typically during the first full week. With AoC being the 20th, the week of the 16th is even more unlikely so, yeah, next week or the week after are the most likely given past precedent.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
While I'm unsure about a November reveal , a December one to go along the Mario tournament would be perfect.
Only a 2 months wait between Steve and Geno might be too small , but for all we know , Geno could only release the month after , making it a 3 months gap , being more reasonnable.
I agree. We'll see what happens in the first two weeks of November; but right now, assuming Geno is the next character and not later in the pass, I think we'll see them be revealed and quite possibly released in December.

It's important to consider that the upcoming Mario-themed Smash Online Challenge is just one third of the planned Mario 35th Anniversary-themed Online Challenge events; with a new Ninji Speedrun Course for Super Mario Maker 2 in November and a new Splatfest for Splatoon 2 in January. That SMM2 event is the only one with a specific date attached, being November 17-24; so based on them likely wanting to spread these out, I think the Smash tourney will be in late December rather than earlier in the month, giving them enough time to put out Geno before the event begins.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
I agree. We'll see what happens in the first two weeks of November; but right now, assuming Geno is the next character and not later in the pass, I think we'll see them be revealed and quite possibly released in December.

It's important to consider that the upcoming Mario-themed Smash Online Challenge is just one third of the planned Mario 35th Anniversary-themed Online Challenge events; with a new Ninji Speedrun Course for Super Mario Maker 2 in November and a new Splatfest for Splatoon 2 in January. That SMM2 event is the only one with a specific date attached, being November 17-24; so based on them likely wanting to spread these out, I think the Smash tourney will be in late December rather than earlier in the month, giving them enough time to put out Geno before the event begins.
I'll like to add onto this by pointing out every single game featured in Mario's 35th has gotten new content, but Smash has oddly gotten nothing, not even a spirit event for it.
  1. -Mario Kart Tour: New characters
  2. -Mario Maker 2: In April, we were meant to get the 35th Anniversary event in MM2, and COVID-19 delays pushed the April Mario direct to September, and we got a Mario Maker 2 update detailing World Maker, a thing many people have been wanting, in April, so MM2 was meant to get content shown off for the 35th Anniversary, but thanks to COVID, it was made into its own thing
  3. -Smash Brothers Ultimate: ??? (Nothing)
  4. -Splatoon 2: My Nintendo Keychains and shirts
  5. -Animal Crossing: New Items

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Joker was revealed roughly a month after Plant and Corrin and Bayo were revealed roughly a month after Cloud. Definitely not impossible.
I mean, Plant was probably intended for base game and with Cloud also came an announcement of a dedicated presentation which they obviously didn't do with Steve. Idk I want a reveal as much as the next guy but it does like December at the earliest tbh

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean, Plant was probably intended for base game and with Cloud also came an announcement of a dedicated presentation which they obviously didn't do with Steve. Idk I want a reveal as much as the next guy but it does like December at the earliest tbh
I'd be cool with that too since my 33rd birthday is on December 5th. December is just a super small window because most of the industry has adopted a "bar's closed" mentality for big news after the VGAs, basically making December the first week or bust.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd be cool with that too since my 33rd birthday is on December 5th. December is just a super small window because most of the industry has adopted a "bar's closed" mentality for big news after the VGAs, basically making December the first week or bust.
Hey, check it out! We have something in common! We have our birthdays in December! And we are both close in age!

So, anything that may be hinting or pointing to an Nintendo Direct next month?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Im gonna be blunt and say for a Square Rep, it's likely Geno or simply no one.

Outside of Sora who is Disney property (which is why i don't exactly count him as a "Square Rep") i don't see anyone else as competition.

and i don't even see Geno as that likely, yet i sill have this stance.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah VGAs is pretty much the only outlet left and if one doesn't there then it's January. I thought VGAs was pretty likely if the next character is pretty close to completion or a trailer or something.

On another note, what would people think on a VGA reveal? Would people whine as it isn't :insert other bigger beaten to death name who they think is more hype here:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
On another note, what would people think on a VGA reveal? Would people whine as it isn't :insert other bigger beaten to death name who they think is more hype here:
I'm watching the VGAs this year anyway (yes, even after the 2019 VGAs weren't so good), so I certainly wouldn't complain about a Smash reveal happening there, even if it's someone who wouldn't be considered "big" enough for that event.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, while we wait for news, why not check out these lyrics I made for a Super Mario RPG Rap I made?

Here-here-here we go!

So they're finally here
They'll perform for you
If you know the words
You can join in too!

Jump so high together
And land with a clap
As we take you through
This Hero rap!

MM (Mario's initials)
Mario!

He's the leader of the crew
You know him well
He will save the day
And he won't fail

His hot fire balls
Hit from every turn
If they hit ya
It's gonna burn

He's fatter, faster
And stronger too
Hhe's the first member
Of the Hero crew

MM
Mario!
MM
Mario is here!

(Princess Peach)

This girl's got style
So listen up, dudes
She can summon lambs
To suit the mood

Her frying pan is
Hard as it should be
She can float through the air
With grace you see

If you choose her
She'll be a pal
With her pink silky dress,
She's one tough gal!

MM
Mario!

(Mallow)

He has no style
He has no grace
This guy's
Got a happy face

He can call rain
Down when he cries
His psychopath can
See through lies

Hit opponents with
His Froggie Stick
He's got the edge
In every trick

MM
Mario!
MM
Mario is here!

(Geno)

He's back again
An about time too
And this time
He's tougher, dude!

He has plenty
Of awesome moves
With his Geno Whirl
He's got the groove

He'll bring joy and
Fix the Star Road, too
But Smithy beware
'Cause he's after you!

MM
Mario!

(Bowser)

Finally
He's here for you
It's the last member
Of the Hero crew

This guy's so strong
It isn't funny
Makes a Smithy gangster
Run for mommy

Can crush all the bad guys
With relative ease
Makes busting walls
Seem such a breeze

He may be bad
And make kids cry
But this dude's
One hell of a guy!

Go Luigi! Check what's in the bag!

Ice Bombs, Fright Bombs
Honey Syrups
Rotten Mushrooms, Fire Bombs
And Pick Me Ups!

Ice Bombs, Fright Bombs
Honey Syrups
Rotten Mushrooms, Fire Bombs
And Pick Me Ups!

What do you all think?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'm watching the VGAs this year anyway (yes, even after the 2019 VGAs weren't so good), so I certainly wouldn't complain about a Smash reveal happening there, even if it's someone who wouldn't be considered "big" enough for that event.
Would be funny to know how many people will stay up for Smash actually. If Byleth was meant for December, maybe they were meant for VGAs.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Would be funny to know how many people will stay up for Smash actually. If Byleth was meant for December, maybe they were meant for VGAs.
Considering how Byleth's trailer was made (it literally starts off like a cutscene from Three Houses, much like Joker's trailer looking like something for Persona 5), I would not be surprised at all if Byleth was intended to be a VGA reveal and was just delayed into January.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Considering how Byleth's trailer was made (it literally starts off like a cutscene from Three Houses, much like Joker's trailer looking like something for Persona 5), I would not be surprised at all if Byleth was intended to be a VGA reveal and was just delayed into January.
If Geno is at The Game Awards this year I imagine the trailer will start out looking like a SMRPG remake announcement.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Anyone here ever try Super Mario RPG Armageddon? I have a home brew cart of it I bought off Etsy. It looks wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom