• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
How would you all react if we got Geno and Mallow in one character, like Pokémon Trainer? Like you could press Shield + B to switch between them and they'd both have their own movesets, but only take one roster slot actually.

D

Deleted member

Okay hear me out.

What if Geno (the party member from 1996 video game Super Mario RPG (starring Nintendo mascot Mario) for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System) was to be included as an additional paid downloadable character for the 2018 Nintendo hit Super Smash Bros Ultimate (only for the Nintendo Switch) sometime during the next year?
Lol, so delusional. That's like wanting Banjo-Kazooie in Smash.

It'll never happen. It's common sense. Trust me.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
So what would Geno’s Spirit Board be like? And would his Spirit battle still be impossible in World of Light? Lol
I think we'll definitely at least see:
  • Mallow (the existing spirit battle; like Spring Man and Twintelle on Min Min's spirit board)
  • Boshi
  • Croco
  • Booster
  • Axem Rangers
  • Exor
  • Smithy (the Legendary support spirit that every DLC Spirit Board has)
As for the background image? Probably taken from whatever his stage is (hoping for Bowser's Keep); like most of the DLC spirit boards so far (minus Terry and Min Min)

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
When that Mario tournament is going to happen? It has a date? How long it will last? That gave us hope for a November reveal (but of course too soon cause Steve...) so I’m rooting more for a December reveal with a January download, in the best case. Done that, the FP2 would be half done.

MattX20

Smash Hero
When that Mario tournament is going to happen? It has a date? How long it will last? That gave us hope for a November reveal (but of course too soon cause Steve...) so I’m rooting more for a December reveal with a January download, in the best case. Done that, the FP2 would be half done.
The Mario Tournament is taking place in December, but we don't have the exact days yet. We'll find out sometime after the current challenge cup that ends on Sunday the 1st

Reactions: QQS

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
When that Mario tournament is going to happen? It has a date? How long it will last?
They updated the placeholder date to "December 2020" a week or so ago. If it's like the other Online Challenges so far, it'll probably last 2-3 hours.

Keep in mind that won't be one international tourney, but four separate events (JP, US, Europe and AU/NZ) hosted around the same time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's really unpredictable to see what speculation is going to look like around the time Smash 6 is announced. That probably won't be for another 7 to 10 years. While characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Sora, and Shantae could still be popular or more during the next game, maybe their popularity could decline as well just like how so many popular requests during the Brawl era decline in popularity after Brawl was release. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , do you think we will ever see a support collapse again for many support threads after Ultimate is wrapped just like when Brawl speculation ended? I remember you saying a lot of fanbases collapsed and decline in support at the end of Brawl speculation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Curious, but why is the Smash community against Fortnite? Myself, I don’t hate Fortnite. Though, I don’t think I like some of the dances.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So there´s a fortnite rumor.
IF THAT HAPPENS, I WILL BE MAJOR PISSED AND SELL MY SWITCH.
Fortnite isn't going to take one of the remaining 4 character slots. You can relax and stop getting worked up. Nintendo's already got major names like Square Enix, Activision, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Koei Tecmo on their plate for the remaining 4. When it comes to Western 3rd parties, Nintendo tends to focus more on 3rd parties with significant legacy behind them. Bayonetta and Steve's inclusions were done mostly for convenience since both were owned by companies already repped in the game

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, there's four weeks left in the year that Nintendo can realistically drop news not related to the VGAs. Pretty much the cut off for most of the industry has been the VGAs since like 2013 (Nintendo's last General Direct in December was 2013 so don't count on that) so we're basically looking at Monday November 2nd through Thursday December 4th, minus the week of Thanksgiving. Historically, if Nintendo is going to do another presentation this year of any kind, the first week of November is the most likely followed by the second so there's food for thought there too. It has been an unconventional year, however, this could all mean nothing.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly, there's four weeks left in the year that Nintendo can realistically drop news not related to the VGAs. Pretty much the cut off for most of the industry has been the VGAs since like 2013 (Nintendo's last General Direct in December was 2013 so don't count on that) so we're basically looking at Monday November 2nd through Thursday December 4th, minus the week of Thanksgiving. Historically, if Nintendo is going to do another presentation this year of any kind, the first week of November is the most likely followed by the second so there's food for thought there too. It has been an unconventional year, however, this could all mean nothing.
I'm not expecting a VGA style reveal, I'm looking at the 2 Smash Challenge cups and both have a plausible timeline for a potential reveal to occur sometime after one of the 2 tournaments conclude

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I said it before and I'll say it again, I think if Geno isn't next he's going to be the last character announced in Fighter's Pass 2 or Ultimate period.

Reactions: QQS

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Curious, but why is the Smash community against Fortnite? Myself, I don’t hate Fortnite. Though, I don’t think I like some of the dances.
A long I.M.O:
Characters design feels bland, hell, even blander than Byleth.
Every guest character feels robbed of it´s soul as well.
By bland, I mean it has that 3d cartoon that´s almost pixar but it´s not pixar style. the characters designs don´t tell me **** of who they are or what they like.
Everyone is a soldier, mercenary or lumberjack.
the game has a story mode but barely anyone has played it. the music is nonexistent.
the gameplay was janky on switch and ps4 back in 2018. The game feels soulless. I would not take a minecraft and fortnite character back to back.
I don´t hate fortnite but it´s such a bland freaking game.
The only reason it became popular it´s because it turned free to play.
I´m against a fortnite character as much as a COD character. They lack style, they lack character.
Just the idea makes my vein throb. It probably won´t happen.

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
So what would Geno’s Spirit Board be like? And would his Spirit battle still be impossible in World of Light? Lol
I feel like it would be
  • Mallow (Already Exists)
  • Boshi
  • Booster
  • Valentina And Dodo
  • Croco
  • Mack
  • Bowyer
  • The Axem Rangers
  • The Blade
  • Yardovich
  • Exor
  • Master Smithy (Who Upgrades Into His True Form)
  • (Maybe Culex as a bonus but I’m not sure)
I was thinking his DLC Spirit Board Backround would show various locations of Super Mario RPG like Forest Maze, Vista Hill, Bowser‘s Castle, Nimbus Land and Star Hill!!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not expecting a VGA style reveal, I'm looking at the 2 Smash Challenge cups and both have a plausible timeline for a potential reveal to occur sometime after one of the 2 tournaments conclude
I agree. If another Smash reveal happens this year, I'm expecting no later than December 3rd but place significantly more confidence before Thanksgiving. I also have a really hard time seeing a major announcement the week of the 20th because of AoC.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
You know, I’ve never crapped on anyone’s character. Because to me, there’s going to be people who want that character. Just like I want Geno. But in the scenario we’re in now, there’s only 4 spots left, in DLC. I’ve waited 25 YEARS almost to play as Geno again(save for Wii U costume) This potentially could be Geno’s swan song and this may be once in a lifetime. Why can’t Fortnite wait awhile like I have? Fortnite could wait until the next Smash. It’s such a young franchise.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
How would you all react if we got Geno and Mallow in one character, like Pokémon Trainer? Like you could press Shield + B to switch between them and they'd both have their own movesets, but only take one roster slot actually.
As someone who likes all of the OG characters in Mario RPG, and as someone who has actually played Mario RPG and not simply bandwagoning the character, I have to say I'd be disappointed if this were to happen. Geno and Mallow both have their own unique abilities and I just don't think it would work that good. If we're talking a Pokemon Trainer tag team, then I guess? But even then it wouldn't make sense to just switch them out on the fly, and in that case I would just rather have Geno and Mallow as separate characters at that point.

But I seriously hope Geno and Mallow aren't a tag team like Ice Climbers because I feel it just doesn't feel right.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, the current tournament/Challenge cup for Smash Ultimate concludes on Sunday the 1st, that much is clear. The longest we've waited so far for a Smash reveal after a tournament conclusion was after the September 26, 2020 Challenge Cup which was exactly 5 days on October the 1st. The only thing that could potentially hold up a reveal for the first week of November is the final re-release of Sword and Shield with the DLC

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Fortnite isn't going to take one of the remaining 4 character slots. You can relax and stop getting worked up. Nintendo's already got major names like Square Enix, Activision, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Koei Tecmo on their plate for the remaining 4. When it comes to Western 3rd parties, Nintendo tends to focus more on 3rd parties with significant legacy behind them. Bayonetta and Steve's inclusions were done mostly for convenience since both were owned by companies already repped in the game
Also remember both of their debuts are over a decade old. and Joker comes from a franchise that has existed since the nineties.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Resident doomposter here, while it's good that Partner Showcases are done for the time being, I don't really see how that suddenly means we should go back into direct mode? Like, Nintendo still felt comfortable dumping Fire Emblem on Twitter last week and holding an 18 minute third-party showcase including multiple games they are publishing over the next few months this week. I don't see them suddenly going "ok now we're going to hold a full-direct in November". They'll probably have a couple smaller things to shadowdrop over November, maybe an Indie Showcase, but that's about it. I get the feeling Nintendo is going to use the rest of the year as a sort of transition/cooling off period before dropping something huge like Smash/BOTW2 at the Game Awards and holding a major direct in January.

I REALLY think we need to accept that 2020 was always going to be more of a 2018 kind of year than 2017/19. I feel like we've SEEN everything they had for E3 this year barring Smash and one or two things that have obviously been shoved back ALOT like BOTW2. Do I feel like something is really up with Fighter Pass 2 given how Steve's development apparently being done entirely during the Pandemic makes zero sense if he was meant for E3? Yeah, but I think we also have to think that if stuff was moved around, there clearly was a major reason for it, something that would force things to be stretched out considerably, and it's obvious that they are taking longer waits between character releases than Pass 1.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yo they actually acknowledged a Paper Mario before Sticker Star (or SPM considering that one poll on the NoA account that included Tippi):

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
yo they actually acknowledged a Paper Mario before Sticker Star (or SPM considering that one poll on the NoA account that included Tippi):
That account already featured TTYD in an earlier tweet highlighting the GameCube Mario games, and they already posted multiple Super Paper Mario tweets too!

Have a feeling they might be saving the Super Mario RPG tweets for a certain Smash reveal...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That account already featured TTYD in an earlier tweet highlighting the GameCube Mario games, and they already posted multiple Super Paper Mario tweets too!

Have a feeling they might be saving the Super Mario RPG tweets for a certain Smash reveal...
Oh that’s really cool! I saw people going “oh they actually acknowledged a game before Sticker Star!” so I thought this was new :p

Hopefully they are saving SMRPG for that.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Now let's hope that soon, Nintendo finally acknowledges the Mario RPG that started it all. ;)

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Oh that’s really cool! I saw people going “oh they actually acknowledged a game before Sticker Star!” so I thought this was new :p
Yeah, here are some of those tweets:

Nintendo never really forgot about the older Paper Mario titles; the Japanese Mario site included all of them (and the Mario & Luigi series too).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I don't think they acknowledged Mario + Rabbids either. Maybe I'm wrong (I know I made a similar comment before Steve's reveal where just because MineCon is happening near the character reveal, it doesn't mean that Steve is coming to Smash), but I'm guessing it's due to third party shenanigans instead of Mario RPG content being saved for anything.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
I don't think they acknowledged Mario + Rabbids either. Maybe I'm wrong (I know I made a similar comment before Steve's reveal where just because MineCon is happening near the character reveal, it doesn't mean that Steve is coming to Smash), but I'm guessing it's due to third party shenanigans instead of Mario RPG content being saved for anything.
I don’t think the Mario anniversary Twitter posted anything about it yet, but the Mario Direct did feature it when showing all of the Mario games playable on the Switch. Nintendo published the game themselves in Japan, far more recently than SMRPG, so they’re probably more likely to show it off.

Last edited:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
As someone who likes all of the OG characters in Mario RPG, and as someone who has actually played Mario RPG and not simply bandwagoning the character, I have to say I'd be disappointed if this were to happen. Geno and Mallow both have their own unique abilities and I just don't think it would work that good. If we're talking a Pokemon Trainer tag team, then I guess? But even then it wouldn't make sense to just switch them out on the fly, and in that case I would just rather have Geno and Mallow as separate characters at that point.

But I seriously hope Geno and Mallow aren't a tag team like Ice Climbers because I feel it just doesn't feel right.
Yeah I meant like Pokemon Trainer tagteam. I was just saying that because that's how we could get both Geno and Mallow in 1 DLC pack.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Yeah I meant like Pokemon Trainer tagteam. I was just saying that because that's how we could get both Geno and Mallow in 1 DLC pack.
Yeah I can kinda get behind that. I feel like if they were to go that route though then I personally would prefer Geno and Mallow to be separate from each other, but that's just me.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
First and second week of November are seeming like the most likely time windows for a potential CP 8 reveal.
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open October 2020 Tournament ends on November 1st.
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open May 2020 Tournament ended on June 21st. One (1) day later Min Min was revealed as CP 6.
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate VS Challenge Cup September 2020 Tournament ended on September 26th. Five (5) days later Steve was revealed as CP 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom