• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Heads up fellas. News on the Super Mario Bros. themed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament may be on the way. Although I'd expect news to actually come around early November since we got the October open starting on the 24th.

We'll find out soon enough if this is indeed the case

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I agree with this assessment 100%. Ironically, I find the block placement of all things the most clunky part of his moveset. I'm probably using him wrong or something, but I find myself almost never resorting to block placement. I spend most of my time farming upgrades and using my iron for Dair and Minecart. The blocks use up resources that I feel are better used elsewhere and they break so easily that they hardly hinder my opponent.
I think blocks would have been so much more worthwhile to use if they lasted longer and weren't as fragile. Terraforming is something that Smash has yet to see but because the blocks disappear so shortly that potential can't be fully realized with Steve. Maybe not make them as resilient as the blocks you break on the Minecraft World stage, but increasing their durability and life by even a little bit would go a long way.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People were getting on NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy the other day for saying "to not believe any new leaks in the foreseeable future" and, well, it turns out several people in my circle are now collaborating with this story. Yet another person I interact with backed this up this morning so I figured enough people are saying it to share it here. Supposedly around 2-3 weeks ago, Nintendo was pretty mad that both the Mario Direct and the Partner Showcase were basically leaked and apparently reached out to a lot of insiders and journalists and basically told them to STFU or there would be consequences. Definitely explains why Steve wasn't hard leaked and nobody is really hinting at major future announcements at the moment. This said, this could be the death of "silver bullet" Smash leaks until probably the end of Ultimate because Nintendo definitely has to be fed up if they're basically going through their contact list and telling everyone to STFU.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
People were getting on NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy the other day for saying "to not believe any new leaks in the foreseeable future" and, well, it turns out several people in my circle are now collaborating with this story. Yet another person I interact with backed this up this morning so I figured enough people are saying it to share it here. Supposedly around 2-3 weeks ago, Nintendo was pretty mad that both the Mario Direct and the Partner Showcase were basically leaked and apparently reached out to a lot of insiders and journalists and basically told them to STFU or there would be consequences. Definitely explains why Steve wasn't hard leaked and nobody is really hinting at major future announcements at the moment. This said, this could be the death of "silver bullet" Smash leaks until probably the end of Ultimate because Nintendo definitely has to be fed if they're basically going through their contact list and telling everyone to STFU.
Honestly I'm kinda more surprised this didn't happen earlier.
As much as Nintendo likes to keeps card close to their chest, I can see why the Mario Direct would've been the straw that broke the camel's back.
My curiosity is what kinda action will be taken? I remember around the time of Hero it was...PolarPanda? Panda someone, but he got hit with some law stuff from Nintendo for leaking info they were mad about.
Correct me if I'm wrong on that though, it's been a while since then.

MattX20

Smash Hero
People were getting on NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy the other day for saying "to not believe any new leaks in the foreseeable future" and, well, it turns out several people in my circle are now collaborating with this story. Yet another person I interact with backed this up this morning so I figured enough people are saying it to share it here. Supposedly around 2-3 weeks ago, Nintendo was pretty mad that both the Mario Direct and the Partner Showcase were basically leaked and apparently reached out to a lot of insiders and journalists and basically told them to STFU or there would be consequences. Definitely explains why Steve wasn't hard leaked and nobody is really hinting at major future announcements at the moment. This said, this could be the death of "silver bullet" Smash leaks until probably the end of Ultimate because Nintendo definitely has to be fed if they're basically going through their contact list and telling everyone to STFU.
I'm honestly not mad about this, it means we'll probably have a lot more room to speculate characters and their chances and not have people dragging other favorites like what happened prior to E3 last year. Plus, it also helps other characters like Phoenix Wright who're currently being speculated alongside Dante as the potential Capcom frontrunner.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly I'm kinda more surprised this didn't happen earlier.
As much as Nintendo likes to keeps card close to their chest, I can see why the Mario Direct would've been the straw that broke the camel's back.
My curiosity is what kinda action will be taken? I remember around the time of Hero it was...PolarPanda? Panda someone, but he got hit with some law stuff from Nintendo for leaking info they were mad about.
Correct me if I'm wrong on that though, it's been a while since then.
You're thinking of Paragon. Long story short: he had access to insider info, speculated on the Fighter's Pass using it, """""""""""""""""SAmeBodI"""""""""""""""""" reported him to Nintendo over it and Paragon got a C&D over it shortly afterwards. I guess it just depends. Sabi broke his C&D this past winter and Nintendo literally sent lawyers to his house over it. From the sounds of things, it sounds like a ton of people were given "final warnings" of sorts because whatever they have planned to announce next in the coming months they definitely don't want it leaked.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , if you were a betting man regarding the upcoming Smash tournaments for the end of the month and the Mario 35th one, what would you consider a more likely/ideal time to reveal FP8 should the pattern of reveals/releases of the second fighter pass continue?

Griselda

Smash Lord
To be completely honest, I'm kinda not on Nintendo's side, here. Leaking is wrong, yeah, but considering leaks - fake or otherwise - were all we had to go on for so absurdly long in regards to Smash, it's starting to come off in a rather childish way. "You can't tell anyone what I have, but maybe I will, whenever I feel like it."
I mean, this isn't some huge moral debate about leaking, it's literally just about something people paid money for and didn't (still don't) know much about at all for a quite frankly bizarre amount of time. I don't go to see a movie and get shuffled into an unmarked auditorium and then have to wait to figure out what I paid to see. And yes, I recall the disclaimer that amounted to "If you aren't 100% sure about this, don't spend your money", but that only serves to point out how strange and out of place the guessing game is. I personally didn't buy the pass, but clearly many other people did, so the point still stands.

To me, the guessing game and the wait has amounted to an often frustrating time-killer more than anything substantial. I would much rather just know ahead of time and rip the band-aid off now rather than later. Why?

Because I hate Steve. That's the reason. Yes, I'm actually happy for the people who like the character and Minecraft because they finally got something, but I don't like Minecraft in the least, myself. So from my perspective I waited a long time to see what was coming, and when it came it turned out it was just a punch to the throat.

Had they even just done the 'Fighter will be coming from this series' thing for all of the fighters, not only would everyone have known somewhat what to expect way in advance with enough time to prepare themselves, but Nintendo would still have the speculation/hype-building thing intact.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
To be completely honest, I'm kinda not on Nintendo's side, here. Leaking is wrong, yeah, but considering leaks - fake or otherwise - were all we had to go on for so absurdly long in regards to Smash, it's starting to come off in a rather childish way. "You can't tell anyone what I have, but maybe I will, whenever I feel like it."
I mean, this isn't some huge moral debate about leaking, it's literally just about something people paid money for and didn't (still don't) know much about at all for a quite frankly bizarre amount of time. I don't go to see a movie and get shuffled into an unmarked auditorium and then have to wait to figure out what I paid to see. And yes, I recall the disclaimer that amounted to "If you aren't 100% sure about this, don't spend your money", but that only serves to point out how strange and out of place the guessing game is. I personally didn't buy the pass, but clearly many other people did, so the point still stands.

To me, the guessing game and the wait has amounted to an often frustrating time-killer more than anything substantial. I would much rather just know ahead of time and rip the band-aid off now rather than later. Why?

Because I hate Steve. That's the reason. Yes, I'm actually happy for the people who like the character and Minecraft because they finally got something, but I don't like Minecraft in the least, myself. So from my perspective I waited a long time to see what was coming, and when it came it turned out it was just a punch to the throat.

Had they even just done the 'Fighter will be coming from this series' thing for all of the fighters, not only would everyone have known somewhat what to expect way in advance with enough time to prepare themselves, but Nintendo would still have the speculation/hype-building thing intact.
At the end of the day it’s not like this anti leak policy is anything new. I feel like it’s saying water is wet at this point. Nintendo has always had an issue with leaking so why any of this information is news is beyond me.

Completely agree on Steve, but unfortunately that series is too big to ignore, it’s pretty much a monumental piece in video game history.
That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fortnite and/or maybe Overwatch content in smash. As much as I would despise a fortnite character , I can’t say it wasn’t a major phenomenon.
But overall yea, I’d rather just know who all the characters are to see if the pass is worth buying. So far it’s a solid no for me.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
So maybe we've beaten this to death, but back on the topic of Geno: what does everyone think his playstyle is going to be?

No duh he will have timed hits if he gets in, but what other factors will come into play? Will he be footsy, rushdown, zoner? All 3 make sense. I can't imagine him being anything else.

Personally (and like I said waaaaaaaaay back in the thread), I think he's going to be an odd blend of up-close to mid-range burst hits, some mid-range projectiles with lots of knockback but low damage, and a bunch of AOE attacks as part of his specials. He'd be quick and peppy, floaty but a low jumper, maybe Ness height and weight, and due to the sheer amount of disjointed attacks he would be hard to close distance on. However, his major weakness would be his quicker attacks needing to be done somewhat up close or mid range and his bigger, AOE attacks having some lag to setup or cooldown. Basically, Geno would do really well against fighters who want to close the gap quickly (Sheik, Lucina, Mac), fighters who are somewhat slow attackers (Min Min, Hero, Shulk), and maybe even fighters who try to camp since Geno could get in close to push them out or hit them from a distance to close out an area of the stage. I'd imagine him not doing very well, however, against heavyweights due to low power and some lag to his attacks. I also could see a momentum character, like Cloud or Joker being a good matchup since Geno could stymy them for a while but really couldn't stop them from building up power (Steve or Olimar may fall into this camp too, I don't know).

I also had the super unpopular idea that Mallow would be part of his moveset cough as one of his specials, part of his Final Smash, and part of his taunts/victory poses. I still think it's a distinct possibility, especially if every DLC fighter that isn't named Min Min has "brought a friend." (Terry's stage counts, I swear :p. Maybe Spring Man does for Min too? It was a theory for a while that all the DLC would have "buddies")
If I were making the game, they’d both get in.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Nobody else seemed to pick this up, but the Mario Tournament isn't until December now, not November.
EkTTVdtVcAAEQRc.jpg

As for the whole "Nintendo cracking down on leakers" thing, yea, I get it, having announcements leak half a year ahead of time sucks, but genuinely think where we would have been if leakers said nothing this year? We would have had literally NOTHING to go off of news wise for a good 5-6 months Nintendo-wise.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
People were getting on NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy the other day for saying "to not believe any new leaks in the foreseeable future" and, well, it turns out several people in my circle are now collaborating with this story. Yet another person I interact with backed this up this morning so I figured enough people are saying it to share it here. Supposedly around 2-3 weeks ago, Nintendo was pretty mad that both the Mario Direct and the Partner Showcase were basically leaked and apparently reached out to a lot of insiders and journalists and basically told them to STFU or there would be consequences. Definitely explains why Steve wasn't hard leaked and nobody is really hinting at major future announcements at the moment. This said, this could be the death of "silver bullet" Smash leaks until probably the end of Ultimate because Nintendo definitely has to be fed up if they're basically going through their contact list and telling everyone to STFU.
On the one hand, I agree that Nintendo should be angry that their stuff leaked.

But....

On the other hand, its their own fault for being do secretive and crazy restrictive with updates this past year and when they finally do break the ice, its Bakugan of all freaking games.

Let's be honest: Nintendo's contribution to the hype of Mario 3D AllStars was just announcing that the damn thing existed. Gameexplain, for one source example, pretty much updated everyone on the game, the concept, the content, the tie-ins, the potential release date, hell even the potential TITLE. The only thing they couldn't do was flat out say 'This is happening' because Nintendo didn't officially announce it. And Nintendo had plenty of opportunities to do so, but they dragged it out and acted wishy washy, so it got leaked. Hey, at least someone was saying SOMETHING.

And while the serious virus legitimately messed everything up, soon other companies were announcing or updating, but Nintendo kept quiet. So ironically the leakers may have saved their fiscal year as it was the leakers who reassured fans that things were coming. I really don't sympathize with Nintendo's frustration on leaks since their marketing department has been half assing everything since the last official Direct in 2019.

Firox

Smash Master
I think blocks would have been so much more worthwhile to use if they lasted longer and weren't as fragile. Terraforming is something that Smash has yet to see but because the blocks disappear so shortly that potential can't be fully realized with Steve. Maybe not make them as resilient as the blocks you break on the Minecraft World stage, but increasing their durability and life by even a little bit would go a long way.
I agree that the blocks break too easily to be very effective but the biggest concern about making them stronger is that people would completely break his already incredibly good edgeguard game. I'm all for making his blocks more durable but I think the tradeoff should be that he can't build blocks over the ledge at all. He has so many other edgeguard options that I don't feel that that would ruin him in the slightest.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Nobody else seemed to pick this up, but the Mario Tournament isn't until December now, not November.
View attachment 289282
  • The next Smash tournament is slated for November, despite nothing really preventing them from holding it literally any earlier.
  • The tournament is now being delayed until December.
  • December is also when TGAs are happening.
  • Geoff Keighley had expressed a desire to do another big surprise reveal like they did in 2018 with Joker.
Now I'm probably completely off-base with this, but boy do things seem to be lining up... Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
View attachment 289282

As for the whole "Nintendo cracking down on leakers" thing, yea, I get it, having announcements leak half a year ahead of time sucks, but genuinely think where we would have been if leakers said nothing this year? We would have had literally NOTHING to go off of news wise for a good 5-6 months Nintendo-wise.
With two tournaments between the end of October and December, it seems like they're gearing up for a December reveal/release at the latest now

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So maybe we've beaten this to death, but back on the topic of Geno: what does everyone think his playstyle is going to be?

No duh he will have timed hits if he gets in, but what other factors will come into play? Will he be footsy, rushdown, zoner? All 3 make sense. I can't imagine him being anything else.

Personally (and like I said waaaaaaaaay back in the thread), I think he's going to be an odd blend of up-close to mid-range burst hits, some mid-range projectiles with lots of knockback but low damage, and a bunch of AOE attacks as part of his specials. He'd be quick and peppy, floaty but a low jumper, maybe Ness height and weight, and due to the sheer amount of disjointed attacks he would be hard to close distance on. However, his major weakness would be his quicker attacks needing to be done somewhat up close or mid range and his bigger, AOE attacks having some lag to setup or cooldown. Basically, Geno would do really well against fighters who want to close the gap quickly (Sheik, Lucina, Mac), fighters who are somewhat slow attackers (Min Min, Hero, Shulk), and maybe even fighters who try to camp since Geno could get in close to push them out or hit them from a distance to close out an area of the stage. I'd imagine him not doing very well, however, against heavyweights due to low power and some lag to his attacks. I also could see a momentum character, like Cloud or Joker being a good matchup since Geno could stymy them for a while but really couldn't stop them from building up power (Steve or Olimar may fall into this camp too, I don't know).

I also had the super unpopular idea that Mallow would be part of his moveset cough as one of his specials, part of his Final Smash, and part of his taunts/victory poses. I still think it's a distinct possibility, especially if every DLC fighter that isn't named Min Min has "brought a friend." (Terry's stage counts, I swear :p. Maybe Spring Man does for Min too? It was a theory for a while that all the DLC would have "buddies")
Super vanilla but I'd expect him to be a super lightweight zoner. 90% of his animations from SMRPG were projectile based anyway so while some would likely instead be melee disjoints mainly used for poking at range aside from meteors in aerials or high kickbacks in smashes. Wouldn't like to be hit and would use his high speed to get out of his opponents way. If Geno Boost is incorporated as a buff then I'd imagine it could act like a special flag you can act out of to put more emphasis on keeping your foes at bay

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Regarding Nintendo's E3 plans: is it at all possible that they would have fully revealed Min Min then (as opposed to spring, as I've seen suggested here) and she and Steve would have been the E3 co-stars, with Steve releasing a few months later like Banjo?

Even if the pandemic wasn't a thing, I felt that January to June was a decent gap to give the devs a bit of a break between seasons.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I had my SMRPG back in Christmas 1996 or 1997 as a gift from my father. I was born in 1990. So having Geno for Christmas in 2020 with 30 years, omg I would explode in tears and screams. Don’t know in which spot but Geno is happening 100% as a full fighter. I hope as 78 or 79 to have him “soon” in the middle of the Pass, like the Banjo-Kazooie of the Pass, to fulfill this epic Fan Demand.

I guess the rest are Geno, Crash, Hayabusa and Lloyd. I would say Dante and Rayman also. But first those 4. Also First Party bonuses.

0FA4E78C-947D-43EF-BA1D-0EDE752B999C.jpeg

Art by: dewdunk on Reddit

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Super vanilla but I'd expect him to be a super lightweight zoner. 90% of his animations from SMRPG were projectile based anyway so while some would likely instead be melee disjoints mainly used for poking at range aside from meteors in aerials or high kickbacks in smashes. Wouldn't like to be hit and would use his high speed to get out of his opponents way. If Geno Boost is incorporated as a buff then I'd imagine it could act like a special flag you can act out of to put more emphasis on keeping your foes at bay
I'm not sure how this would work in practice, but I'd like to see Sakurai and the team try their hand at making Geno an ultra aggressive close-ish range projectile character.

Also oh my God you guys I think I'm in love with the Blockhead.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Oh and also, when asked about their source, PracticalBrush12 (the person who correctly leaked Steve, his alts, final smash, and various other Nintendo stuff) said this. Maybe whenever the next Nintendo announcement is, we could look in their account an hour before?

Last edited:

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
Got a question for y'all. What are some of your favorite leaks or Geno leaks?
My favorite Geno leak is probably Smug Geno. This image will always be funny to me.
I don’t know where the image is but it was something that people were talking about that was on 4chan last year. It was posted a few weeks after Cacomallow was shown and the post said Geno and Doom Guy were fighters and a Super Mario RPG remake was to be announced in November! The picture shows Geno, Doom Guy, and Mallow, all three in RPG Sprites, freaking out in Vista Hills because in the distance Bowser’s Castle has Exor on top but a Cacodemon took the place of his face like some sort of clustered fusion! It was awesome and I remember being excited and I hoped it would happen!

Last edited:

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
So now that we have confirmation that the Mario tournament is in December, I can see one of two things happening. Either...

*CP8 (Geno) reveal after the November tournament, likely on the 3rd, with a release the next week on the 10th. This gives people enough time to familiarize themselves with him so that he'll be eligible for the Mario tournament in December.

or

*CP8 (Geno) reveal after the Mario tournament to cap off the 35th Anniversary celebration this year.

A December reveal and release seems a lot more probable because we've never had a single month difference between character releases, but I guess if he's already finished, there's nothing really stopping them from just releasing him in November.

On the topic of a reveal at TGA... yeah, I just don't see it happening. I think if we were to get any major Nintendo presence, it would probably be BotW2.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Got a question for y'all. What are some of your favorite leaks or Geno leaks?
My favorite Geno leak is probably Smug Geno. This image will always be funny to me.
I actually first discovered Geno through a fake leak.

During the post-Brawl pre-Sm4sh days I was reading a page about past fake leaks on SmashWiki and I saw one from either before Brawl came out or shortly after where he was in the character select screen with his name written in Star Gibberish rather than just saying Geno.

Given that Bowser's Inside Story is one of my most favorite games, I was immediately intrigued to see a Mario RPG that I wasn't aware existed. I looked further into it and ended up buying it on the Wii eShop.

I recently looked at that SmashWiki page again and the Brawl Geno leak seems to have been removed.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice

On one hand I enjoy the surprise and speculation

And on the other hand I think it's stupid they sell a group of 5 or 6 fighters before they've even told us what they are

But clearly Nintendo benefits from the hype of surprise reveals. If they had revealed a year ago that Steve was going to be added now, the hype wouldn't be as high now, and neither would sales.

And LOL at the idea of saying "the next fighter will be from the Minecraft series..........WHo CoUlD iT posSSiblY bE??? staY tuNed"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Food for thought:

-Rosalina was a December reveal. Super Mario 3D World was a November release.

-Cloud was a November reveal and December release. The first true trailer for the FF VII Remake was that December as well.

-Joker was specifically chosen for the 2018 VGAs for because Persona 5 was nominated for a good number of awards the year before.

-Byleth was supposed to be a December reveal. Given Three Houses success at the 2019 VGAs, it was probably supposed to be there but Nintendo pulled out for some reason. Award show winners are typically informed weeks in advance so Nintendo likely knew how many awards Three Houses would win.

-Our next Amiibo waves are November, February, and March. Amiibo Theory is currently 8 for 8 and suggests the next release is November.

-Up until this year, reveals and releases have rarely been in the same month. Byleth was supposed to be a December announcement/January release, Min Min was supposed to be a March announcement/April release, and Steve was supposed to be a June announcement/probably July release. The upcoming Amiibo waves suggest that this pattern of at least month gaps between reveals and releases will probably return soon. (November, February, and March/early April). The question remains now if things will go back to "normal" with 8 or 9? Amiibo Theory suggests 9.

-Following the previous point, this currently suggests 8 is an early November release because of the average 12 day gaps between Amiibo waves and character releases (the last Amiibo wave was coincidentally October 2nd with Steve releasing on October 13th). The next Amiibo wave is November 20th.

- The gaps between Byleth, Min Min, and Steve's reveals and releases were 12 days, 7 days, and 12 days respectively. Were this to continue, it suggests 8 being announced in the second to last week or last week of October.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Man, I wish I had as much optimism as you all do. I'm personally not expecting any more character reveals until 2021, or if we're lucky, MAYBE FP8 at TGA. I just feel like Steve is too recent and Nintendo usually waits every few months until announcing the next fighter. Personally this is basically what I'm expecting the schedule for the rest of the Pass to look like:
*FP8 revealed at either the TGA or in January, and the character releases in the Spring.
*FP9 and FP10 will be the final duel reveals for Smash. FP9 releases in the summer, and FP10 sometime in the Fall.
*FP11 will finally be shown off at a September Direct with a Winter release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom