• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Before Steve, Nintendo was kind of in a bind to release 1 character every 3 months to hit that Dec 2021 timetable.

With Steve now out, there is now a little over 14 months to release 4 characters. Little better, but not by much.

Dropping a character in November/December then gives Nintendo 12 months for 3 characters. On top of that, they would then have the chance to announce (or ARMS style tease) a character at TGA without releasing them for another 2+ months around March/April. Leaving them another 8 months for the last 2 characters and enough breathing room to adapt should something else happen.

The Dec 2021 deadline was most likely decided to give them a characters worth of wiggle room (3-4 months) of built-in delay knowing Steve and Min Min were on the list and would be proving difficult from a development standpoint.

tl;dr - I expect a November release for a character would return us "to pace". That then gives Nintendo plenty of time to market the final 3 in different ways to properly tease without having them stick to the frantic pre-Steve timeline.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Before Steve, Nintendo was kind of in a bind to release 1 character every 3 months to hit that Dec 2021 timetable.

With Steve now out, there is now a little over 14 months to release 4 characters. Little better, but not by much.

Dropping a character in November/December then gives Nintendo 12 months for 3 characters. On top of that, they would then have the chance to announce (or ARMS style tease) a character at TGA without releasing them for another 2+ months around March/April. Leaving them another 8 months for the last 2 characters and enough breathing room to adapt should something else happen.

The Dec 2021 deadline was most likely decided to give them a characters worth of wiggle room (3-4 months) of built-in delay knowing Steve and Min Min were on the list and would be proving difficult from a development standpoint.

tl;dr - I expect a November release for a character would return us "to pace". That then gives Nintendo plenty of time to market the final 3 in different ways to properly tease without having them stick to the frantic pre-Steve timeline.
November or December at the latest seems plausible for FP8

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like Byleth, I believe that the last character of Fighter's Pass 2 will be release on the Season Pass' deadline or a few days from said deadline. I'm confident we are not going to know this game's final roster until November 2021 at the earliest and December 2021 at the latest.

domriver

Smash Lord
Hmm, it still looks weird on my end, with big X images along the page. When I click on any of the links, it takes me right back to the weird page. Anyone else having the same problem?

EDIT: Also, the latest pic of the day sure is kinda odd.

The left Stopwatch reads 12:14 (almost 12:15), while the right one reads 10:30. Hmm... quite the curious times.

EDIT 2: Aw the heck with it. Time for some tinfoil hat shenanigans. In regards to that pic of the day, what if the times shown on both Stopwatches are referring to upcoming dates? Possibilities are,
  • December 14th (or 15th), which falls on a Monday (Tuesday respectively), at 10:30 (perhaps AM or PM).
  • If starting from right to left, they could mean two separate dates of potential (Smash) announcements; those being October 30th (a Friday), and December 14th (or 15th).
Ok, enough reaching for now.
1602773566530.png

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1602773592509.png
SOLVED. lol ;p

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Alrighty then! Now that the Nintendo website is good and running it's time to lay out some relevant dates concerning Nintendo's agenda for the remainder of the year (game releases, tournaments,... TGA...)

• October 22 = Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield The Crown Tundra expansion release date
  • October 24 - 25 / October 31 - November 1 = Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open October 2020
  • October 30 = Pikmin 3 Deluxe release
  • October 30 - November 1 = Splatoon 2 Splatoween event
  • October ??? = Nintendo Direct Mini | Partner Showcase October 2020
  • November 6 = Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield + Expansion Pass release
  • November 17 - November 24 = Super Mario Maker 2 Ninji Speedrun Online Challenge (Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary themed)
  • November 13 = Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory release
  • November 20 = Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity release
  • November ??? = Nintendo Direct Mini | Partner Showcase November 2020 (maybe...?)
  • December 8 = Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 release
  • December 10 = The Game Awards 2020
  • December ??? = Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Nintendo VS Challenge Cup December 2020 (Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary themed)
  • December ??? = Splatoon 2 Splatfest Online Challenge (Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary themed)
  • December ??? = Nintendo Direct Mini | Partner Showcase December 2020 (again, maybe...?)
Do bare in mind that there are still some titles whose release dates are still to be announced (TBA) yet, on Nintendo's Game Guide page (Coming Soon filter), they still appear as 2020 titles.
  • Bravely Default II
  • No More Heroes III (although Suda51 already expressed that the game's release would be delayed; possibly going into 2021)
  • Eastward
In addition to these few titles, there's DOOM Eternal's Switch version which is (according to Id Software) coming "soon", as well as news on Bayonetta 3 (which according to Kamiya himself, they're also coming """"""""""soon"""""""""").

Besides game releases, there are also the release dates for the competing next-gen platforms:
  • November 10 = XBOX Series X launch
  • November 12 = PlayStation 5 launch
Oh, and then there's the livestream of yet another Ubisoft Forward event sometime before the end of 2020.:chrono:

EDIT: Corrected the release date of The Crown Tundra Pokémon Sword/Shield DLC.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty then! Now that the Nintendo website is good and running it's time to lay out some relevant dates concerning Nintendo's agenda for the remainder of the year (game releases, tournaments,... TGA...)

• October 24 - 25 / October 31 - November 1 = Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open October 2020
  • October 30 = Pikmin 3 Deluxe release
  • October 30 - November 1 = Splatoon 2 Splatoween event
  • October ??? = Nintendo Direct Mini | Partner Showcase October 2020
  • November 6 = Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield + Expansion Pass release (also the release of the Crown Tundra DLC)
  • November 17 - November 24 = Super Mario Maker 2 Ninji Speedrun Online Challenge (Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary themed)
  • November 13 = Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory release
  • November 20 = Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity release
  • November ??? = Nintendo Direct Mini | Partner Showcase November 2020 (maybe...?)
  • December 8 = Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 release
  • December 10 = The Game Awards 2020
  • December ??? = Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Nintendo VS Challenge Cup December 2020 (Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary themed)
  • December ??? = Splatoon 2 Splatfest Online Challenge (Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary themed)
  • December ??? = Nintendo Direct Mini | Partner Showcase December 2020 (again, maybe...?)
Do bare in mind that there are still some titles whose release dates are still to be announced (TBA) yet, on Nintendo's Game Guide page (Coming Soon filter), they still appear as 2020 titles.
  • Bravely Default II
  • No More Heroes III (although Suda51 already expressed that the game's release would be delayed; possibly going into 2021)
  • Eastward
In addition to these few titles, there's DOOM Eternal's Switch version which is (according to Id Software) coming "soon", as well as news on Bayonetta 3 (which according to Kamiya himself, they're also coming """"""""""soon"""""""""").

Besides game releases, there are also the release dates for the competing next-gen platforms:
  • November 10 = XBOX Series X launch
  • November 12 = PlayStation 5 launch
Oh, and then there's the livestream of yet another Ubisoft Forward event sometime before the end of 2020.:chrono:
Actually, Crown Tundra's release date is October 22, Nov 6 is only the physical version release date. Just giving a heads up.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So how should Geno Kirby look? I think Geno Kirby should be wearing Geno's hat and should be wearing Geno's arm gun as most likely Geno Beam is going to be Geno's Neutral Special.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Responding in general to all the most recent topics in the thread, I have two major thoughts I want to share:

1. Nintendo shutting down leaks is just posturing and won't stop a leak from happening, we just won't get it in such an obvious place or an early enough time. People like PracticalBrush would need to be the focus, and guys like Imran Khan who are ballsy enough to crack jokes or drop sly hints will be our only other sources. No more people dropping stuff on Resetera, I'm afraid. But Nintendo did this to themselves. I really wish they were more transparent, because I feel like they're really suffering internally. If their marketing dept had a decent plan and stopped leaning on "coronavirus" as an excuse, this year wouldn't be such a mess for them and their fanbase. In particular, they've completely destroyed the hype for Ultimate and I don't think it can be resuscitated without a massive effort to update the game's online, advertise the crap out of it, and make sure everybody knows they are still adding characters and making active improvements. As of now, the game is pretty dead -- Steve is just a band-aid, and Min Min did very little to help either. Nintendo's still raking in cash though, so I guess that's all that matters...

2. Geno is 100% coming, but I don't think we're getting another reveal before the end of the year. There's no evidence to suggest this one iota. Judging by the current production rate at Nintendo and how infrequently they've been sharing news, plus the Dec 2021 deadline for FP2, I think the next fighter won't be revealed until January at the earliest, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it was March at this rate. That leaves E3 for the 2 big reveals and the fall for the final character. Linking with my previous thought on how hype for Ultimate is dead, I really don't see any indication Nintendo or Sakurai's team are going to work to revive this game or give us smaller, bonus updates. I think this is it -- 4 more fighters with huuuuuuge gaps between them. A dumb idea and it will do nothing for the game, but hey... at least we'll get characters we want, I guess?

EDIT: Adding another few thoughts on what I said above. If we can assume Nintendo is 4 or so months behind based on how late we got announcements that belonged during E3, and if the second E3 reveal was our "Banjo" of the pass, they would be released 4 months past Sept -- when Banjo was released. That puts them in January.

Nintendo could also be further behind than that by some speculation however, as indications from Mario Maker 2's files show that the Mario 35th may have been meant for March (and March 10th is "Mario Day" [Mar10, get it? :p]). That means we had a delay of 6 flipping months before they revealed any Mario 35th content (March --> Sept). Yes, E3 may have also been the spot where the Mario 35th Direct was supposed to be, but March makes a ton of sense given the circumstances and what we also know to be true about Nintendo's potential original plans. That then means we could alsoo say Nintendo is 6 months behind, not 4, and that puts CP8 not in September, not in January, but in March.

Holy cow.

And I didn't realize how much the hype for Ultimate died until I played Steve. He's fun and everyone is talking about him, but think of how much more incredible and seamless the hype would be if we had Steve at E3 and Min Min in March. My friends don't play anymore, journalists make special announcements for the new fighters but don't write about the game otherwise, and the speculation/hype scene is DEAD. Even 4chan and Reddit barely make posts about it anymore, other than the daily "MYSTERY GUYS" threads. If nobody is even bothering to drum up fake leaks or write speculation on general threads anymore.. the hype for this game is 100% dead as a doornail. Stick a fork in it, it's done. Not even revealing Chief could salvage this game, I'm sorry. Geno is a given, but normies won't get hyped to play again over him. It's basically two options now: release the characters when Nintendo "feels like it" and create hype just surrounding the immediate reveal of the character, but do nothing else to drum up fanfare; or do a massive campaign to revitalize the game by updating infrastructure and adding more content outside the pass, keeping the community and the love going strong. Which option do you think Nintendo is going to choose? Especially a Nintendo in 2020 who is making money hand over fist pretty much doing nothing novel or interesting.......... ::cry::

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
So how should Geno Kirby look? I think Geno Kirby should be wearing Geno's hat and should be wearing Geno's arm gun as most likely Geno Beam is going to be Geno's Neutral Special.
How about Kirby pulls out the normal sized Geno doll and then makes it shoot an absurdly oversized beam? It'd be like when he copies Banjo and uses a Kazooie plush.

Or maybe he just opens his mouth and spits out a beam, as a little nod to Marx's beam attack.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
How about Kirby pulls out the normal sized Geno doll and then makes it shoot an absurdly oversized beam? It'd be like when he copies Banjo and uses a Kazooie plush.

Or maybe he just opens his mouth and spits out a beam, as a little nod to Marx's beam attack.
Pulling out a Geno doll would be a great callback to Gaz knocking out Mario.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Pulling out a Geno doll would be a great callback to Gaz knocking out Mario.
I actually love that idea. Give Kirby a Geno hat (+curls) and have him whip out a doll to do the attacks. Brilliant!

Also because I'm in a "let me over elaborate on something pointless" kind of mood today (my students are all "distance learning," which basically means I spend most of my day presenting to dead air and hoping kids turn in their work...), I wanted to just talk about how incredibly well Geno and Mallow fit into the Mario universe. It hit me yesterday just how perfect they are and how badly I wish they would become regulars.

First you have Mallow, who is just this happy little cloud fellow. But his design mimics the look of Lakitu's Cloud and the smiling clouds of the Mario games so well. His world of the Nimbus Kingdom feels right at home too, being a land of fluffy clouds and beanstalks. Mallow being a mage who fights with the elements also works with how the early Mario games were very much tied to magical spells and whatnot (just read the original manual for Super Mario Bros. -- it sounds nothing like Mario games of today). You then get Mallow thinking he's a frog and all that goofiness, which may be a weird reference to stuff like the Frog Suit, Wart or the frog enemies in Yoshi's Island (since SMRPG came out literally months before Mario 64, so all of its reference points for lore came from the original NES, GB and SNES titles). I just love how perfectly this character and his little world fit into Mario lore.

Geno is of course also an amazing fit. At the time of Mario RPG's release, the marketing still heavily sold that the Mario Bros. were two Italian plumbers, and so having a "Pinocchio" character join up with Mario makes a ton of sense. A living doll, based on Pinocchio, an Italian fairy tale, who also has a very Italian sounding name... It's perfect. And then the lore behind Geno fits Mario's world so well. He's a star from Star Road, an established location in SMW, that has come down to save the day. His connection to stars/Star Road and the overall connection the Mario games have to this locale and stars mesh well. It's like Geno was tailor made to be a recurring character, don't you think?

I don't know what it is, but lately I've been thinking so much more about what a grand missed opportunity it was that Mallow and Geno never crossed over into the mainline Mario games. They 100% fit that world so damn well, and it's a crying shame Nintendo didn't take the initiative (or have the foresight) to nab the rights to them when they had a chance to. Absolutely awful. Here's hoping that if one or both appear in Ultimate, maybe Nintendo will start to use them more often.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Responding in general to all the most recent topics in the thread, I have two major thoughts I want to share:

1. Nintendo shutting down leaks is just posturing and won't stop a leak from happening, we just won't get it in such an obvious place or an early enough time. People like PracticalBrush would need to be the focus, and guys like Imran Khan who are ballsy enough to crack jokes or drop sly hints will be our only other sources. No more people dropping stuff on Resetera, I'm afraid. But Nintendo did this to themselves. I really wish they were more transparent, because I feel like they're really suffering internally. If their marketing dept had a decent plan and stopped leaning on "coronavirus" as an excuse, this year wouldn't be such a mess for them and their fanbase. In particular, they've completely destroyed the hype for Ultimate and I don't think it can be resuscitated without a massive effort to update the game's online, advertise the crap out of it, and make sure everybody knows they are still adding characters and making active improvements. As of now, the game is pretty dead -- Steve is just a band-aid, and Min Min did very little to help either. Nintendo's still raking in cash though, so I guess that's all that matters...

2. Geno is 100% coming, but I don't think we're getting another reveal before the end of the year. There's no evidence to suggest this one iota. Judging by the current production rate at Nintendo and how infrequently they've been sharing news, plus the Dec 2021 deadline for FP2, I think the next fighter won't be revealed until January at the earliest, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it was March at this rate. That leaves E3 for the 2 big reveals and the fall for the final character. Linking with my previous thought on how hype for Ultimate is dead, I really don't see any indication Nintendo or Sakurai's team are going to work to revive this game or give us smaller, bonus updates. I think this is it -- 4 more fighters with huuuuuuge gaps between them. A dumb idea and it will do nothing for the game, but hey... at least we'll get characters we want, I guess?

EDIT: Adding another few thoughts on what I said above. If we can assume Nintendo is 4 or so months behind based on how late we got announcements that belonged during E3, and if the second E3 reveal was our "Banjo" of the pass, they would be released 4 months past Sept -- when Banjo was released. That puts them in January.

Nintendo could also be further behind than that by some speculation however, as indications from Mario Maker 2's files show that the Mario 35th may have been meant for March (and March 10th is "Mario Day" [Mar10, get it? :p]). That means we had a delay of 6 flipping months before they revealed any Mario 35th content (March --> Sept). Yes, E3 may have also been the spot where the Mario 35th Direct was supposed to be, but March makes a ton of sense given the circumstances and what we also know to be true about Nintendo's potential original plans. That then means we could alsoo say Nintendo is 6 months behind, not 4, and that puts CP8 not in September, not in January, but in March.

Holy cow.

And I didn't realize how much the hype for Ultimate died until I played Steve. He's fun and everyone is talking about him, but think of how much more incredible and seamless the hype would be if we had Steve at E3 and Min Min in March. My friends don't play anymore, journalists make special announcements for the new fighters but don't write about the game otherwise, and the speculation/hype scene is DEAD. Even 4chan and Reddit barely make posts about it anymore, other than the daily "MYSTERY GUYS" threads. If nobody is even bothering to drum up fake leaks or write speculation on general threads anymore.. the hype for this game is 100% dead as a doornail. Stick a fork in it, it's done. Not even revealing Chief could salvage this game, I'm sorry. Geno is a given, but normies won't get hyped to play again over him. It's basically two options now: release the characters when Nintendo "feels like it" and create hype just surrounding the immediate reveal of the character, but do nothing else to drum up fanfare; or do a massive campaign to revitalize the game by updating infrastructure and adding more content outside the pass, keeping the community and the love going strong. Which option do you think Nintendo is going to choose? Especially a Nintendo in 2020 who is making money hand over fist pretty much doing nothing novel or interesting.......... ::cry::
It hasn't helped that they swapped reveal and release timing from the first pass. Before it was a character reveal, then you wait 2 to 3 months before they are released. Now its months of nothing, followed by a random announcement out of the blue for an announcement where they show the character and release them 2 weeks later. Before that announcement, there's NOTHING to speculate.

When you know the character, you can discuss how they will play, their content, their alts, the spirits, what this character means for other characters,, etc. You have something tangible to look forward to. You can rehype yourself by checking the trailers again and again, like the wait for Banjo-Kazooie (it was three months but didn't feel like it). But now? Everyone is in the dark. You have nothing to tide yourself over for the wait. The only reason ARMs got any speculation was due to finally getting an answer for that stupid spirits can't be promoted fanrule.

Basically, by withholding the character identities until the last second before they release, there's nothing to discuss. And fanbases are getting more and more uneasy and irritable as the character openings slowly decrease, which will be all out war by character 10. Pass 1 was expertly done in terms of hype. A never seen it coming character to start off, followed by a fan favorite from one region that also has a series with a deep history in gaming, followed by a massive fan favorite that many thought would never happened, then another regional favorite also with deep ties in gaming, but then Price is Right Losing Horn.

Min Min was good as she reassured that first parties can happen and base game content can be promoted (although, people are starting to feel that she will be the only exception). Steve definitely realigned the hype train, but they need to continue that momentum either with the next being a never ever, unexpected wow, or massive fan favorite. And announce them ahead of time. Why wait?

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
It hasn't helped that they swapped reveal and release timing from the first pass. Before it was a character reveal, then you wait 2 to 3 months before they are released. Now its months of nothing, followed by a random announcement out of the blue for an announcement where they show the character and release them 2 weeks later. Before that announcement, there's NOTHING to speculate.

When you know the character, you can discuss how they will play, their content, their alts, the spirits, what this character means for other characters,, etc. You have something tangible to look forward to. You can rehype yourself by checking the trailers again and again, like the wait for Banjo-Kazooie (it was three months but didn't feel like it). But now? Everyone is in the dark. You have nothing to tide yourself over for the wait. The only reason ARMs got any speculation was due to finally getting an answer for that stupid spirits can't be promoted fanrule.

Basically, by withholding the character identities until the last second before they release, there's nothing to discuss. And fanbases are getting more and more uneasy and irritable as the character openings slowly decrease, which will be all out war by character 10. Pass 1 was expertly done in terms of hype. A never seen it coming character to start off, followed by a fan favorite from one region that also has a series with a deep history in gaming, followed by a massive fan favorite that many thought would never happened, then another regional favorite also with deep ties in gaming, but then Price is Right Losing Horn.

Min Min was good as she reassured that first parties can happen and base game content can be promoted (although, people are starting to feel that she will be the only exception). Steve definitely realigned the hype train, but they need to continue that momentum either with the next being a never ever, unexpected wow, or massive fan favorite. And announce them ahead of time. Why wait?
You so eloquently wrote all that I am feeling in this moment. Frustration to the Nth degree with how Nintendo is handling the 2nd Pass. Look, the current world event sucks. But it hasn't stopped literally all the other major publishers. Why is Nintendo so unique in this position? Are they really that mismanaged? Or capricious?

SFV and MK11 both revealed their lineups for DLC in a timely, reasonable fashion. Yeah, they said the releases were TBD but they still gave the fans something to work with, something to speculate.

Honestly? The 1 surefire way Nintendo could "stop the leaks" and ensure they can retain hype for this game is to just give us a big infodump on the rest of the pass. I'm not even joking. Leak it yourselves!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Honestly? The 1 surefire way Nintendo could "stop the leaks" and ensure they can retain hype for this game is to just give us a big infodump on the rest of the pass. I'm not even joking. Leak it yourselves!
Ive said Nintendo should just show the next four characters in the past and just get it over with but I got pushed back saying that would ruin the hype

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Why are people starting to think Min Min will be the only spirit promoted?

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Ive said Nintendo should just so the next four characters in the past and just get it over with but I got pushed back saying that would ruin the hype
I would've backed ya, dude.

Seriously, there's an art to it and they could easily succeed. NONE of it needs to reveal more than they're comfortable with, and ALL of it will hype the fanbase up again. Again, look at SFV or MK11 did and mimic that:

"Hey guys, watch this reveal trailer....."
"Yep, that's right! The next fighter is _____, and they're going to come with this content sometime in Winter 2020. Look forward to learning more in the future!"
"But wait! There's more... watch this teaser!"
teaser plays showing just a mere hint of a fighter and their series or fighting style, enough to throw speculation wild
"Yessir, coming in Spring 2021 we will reveal the end of that trailer and our fighter from _______, bet you can't guess who it is!"
"What's that? We have another 2 fighters to reveal? Well, let's just say we'll have to keep SOME secrets under our hat..."
show graphic summarizing the pass so far and what's coming down the pipe
"Here's the rest of the Fighter's Pass 2 release schedule!"
"Remember, the Fighter's Pass is a good deal. And so far, we've revealed 3 of the 6 fighters and 2 are already ready to play. Did you pick up Min Min and Steve yet?"
focus on part of graphic where CP9 and CP10 go, shows general release windows and reminds us they are coming with music and a stage
"Look forward to CP9 and CP10 coming in Summer and Fall 2021 respectively. All we can say is expect something BIG out of these reveals! You don't want to miss it!"
"And we're not done there... look forward to smaller updates in the future between fighter passes. As a matter of fact...."
brief gameplay trailer
"Yes, your eyes don't deceive you! We're launching a ____________ stage on _____. Make sure you save your replays!"
cue quick cuts of gameplay footage with all the DLC
"Well, that's all for now folks. See you in the near future to talk more about CP8, _______. Until then, enjoy!"
one last sting plays revealing a mysterious silhouette of a bonus fighter, boss, stage or something else entirely

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Think the Reason we don't get Early reveals like MK11 or SFV is because of how Smash trailers are

Usually They like to create Suspense to who the Character actually is. If you look at SFV and MK11, or even other Games like DBFZ, you see the Characters just show up with their intros or something Most of the Time.

Smash Trailers usually like to keep you one your toes, give hints to who the character is, they usually don't reveal who the Character is just out of the Blue. Revealing the Characters early would make the Trailers feel a bit more hollow. It's also why Byleth's trailer was met with some Critism (besides it being because of Byleth), because the whole thing seemed out of place in a Smash Presentation, so we already know what the trailer is about

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I would've backed ya, dude.

Seriously, there's an art to it and they could easily succeed. NONE of it needs to reveal more than they're comfortable with, and ALL of it will hype the fanbase up again. Again, look at SFV or MK11 did and mimic that:

"Hey guys, watch this reveal trailer....."
"Yep, that's right! The next fighter is _____, and they're going to come with this content sometime in Winter 2020. Look forward to learning more in the future!"
"But wait! There's more... watch this teaser!"
teaser plays showing just a mere hint of a fighter and their series or fighting style, enough to throw speculation wild
"Yessir, coming in Spring 2021 we will reveal the end of that trailer and our fighter from _______, bet you can't guess who it is!"
"What's that? We have another 2 fighters to reveal? Well, let's just say we'll have to keep SOME secrets under our hat..."
show graphic summarizing the pass so far and what's coming down the pipe
"Here's the rest of the Fighter's Pass 2 release schedule!"
"Remember, the Fighter's Pass is a good deal. And so far, we've revealed 3 of the 6 fighters and 2 are already ready to play. Did you pick up Min Min and Steve yet?"
focus on part of graphic where CP9 and CP10 go, shows general release windows and reminds us they are coming with music and a stage
"Look forward to CP9 and CP10 coming in Summer and Fall 2021 respectively. All we can say is expect something BIG out of these reveals! You don't want to miss it!"
"And we're not done there... look forward to smaller updates in the future between fighter passes. As a matter of fact...."
brief gameplay trailer
"Yes, your eyes don't deceive you! We're launching a ____________ stage on _____. Make sure you save your replays!"
cue quick cuts of gameplay footage with all the DLC
"Well, that's all for now folks. See you in the near future to talk more about CP8, _______. Until then, enjoy!"
one last sting plays revealing a mysterious silhouette of a bonus fighter, boss, stage or something else entirely
if they show characters like how arcsys or SF is doing everything would be fine. But to some people that ruins the hype of not knowing the characters and yet they're mad when they don't know who the characters are

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I Think the Reason we don't get Early reveals like MK11 or SFV is because of how Smash trailers are

Usually They like to create Suspense to who the Character actually is. If you look at SFV and MK11, or even other Games like DBFZ, you see the Characters just show up with their intros or something Most of the Time.

Smash Trailers usually like to keep you one your toes, give hints to who the character is, they usually don't reveal who the Character is just out of the Blue. Revealing the Characters early would make the Trailers feel a bit more hollow. It's also why Byleth's trailer was met with some Critism (besides it being because of Byleth), because the whole thing seemed out of place in a Smash Presentation, so we already know what the trailer is about
if they show characters like how arcsys or SF is doing everything would be fine. But to some people that ruins the hype of not knowing the characters and yet they're mad when they don't know who the characters are
I hear that the Smash hype is the whole appeal, but man... Just revealing 1 fighter and then teasing the rest would NOT kill the hype. If anything, it would charge it. I think I'm not alone saying I just want to know when to look forward to the next fighters and if possible a rough idea of what I should be looking for.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Geno, now I know the leaks were wrong
We messed up, and now you're gone

Geno, I'm sorry Smash neglected you
Oh, I never expected you
to not appear and leave my
wallet running low
Forest Maze right now is looking ready to blow!
Please come home, 'cause I miss you, Geno!

Geno, come home
(Geno, come home)

Geno, can't you see: Square was blind!
I'll do anything to change their mind!

More than a mii, you're my true main
Too cool to forget
you're only gaming history
and forgive me
for making you wait alone

And now my heart is beating
Counting costumes they have shown!
Hope Sakurai is reading
My latest three word poem:

"Geno, come home!"

Geno, come home
(Geno, come home)
Geno, come home
(Geno, come home)
Geno, come home
(Geno, come home), ah
Geno, come home

Geno, won't you come home?

Geno, come home
(Geno, come home)

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
The fact that we don't have that many pieces from Mario RPG's (Like the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series) is a crime. Oh and also speaking of music from Mario RPG's, was Forest Maze a music track in Smash 4? I think it was only ever used in Geno's Mii costume trailer, which I find odd.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
The fact that we don't have that many pieces from Mario RPG's (Like the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series) is a crime. Oh and also speaking of music from Mario RPG's, was Forest Maze a music track in Smash 4? I think it was only ever used in Geno's Mii costume trailer, which I find odd.
There's a total of 10 music tracks from Mario RPGs, with only 3 remixes. Two of them were by Yoko Shimomura for her own Mario & Luigi music and one by Saki Kasuga, composer of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and a few Fire Emblem games.
Yes, Beware the Forest's Mushrooms was only in the Mii Costume trailer. There's plenty of other examples of that oddity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmm, it still looks weird on my end, with big X images along the page. When I click on any of the links, it takes me right back to the weird page. Anyone else having the same problem?

EDIT: Also, the latest pic of the day sure is kinda odd.

The left Stopwatch reads 12:14 (almost 12:15), while the right one reads 10:30. Hmm... quite the curious times.

EDIT 2: Aw the heck with it. Time for some tinfoil hat shenanigans. In regards to that pic of the day, what if the times shown on both Stopwatches are referring to upcoming dates? Possibilities are,
  • December 14th (or 15th), which falls on a Monday (Tuesday respectively), at 10:30 (perhaps AM or PM).
  • If starting from right to left, they could mean two separate dates of potential (Smash) announcements; those being October 30th (a Friday), and December 14th (or 15th).
Ok, enough reaching for now.
Well, ironically, if Count Down chooses 12:00, it uses the spell "Corona". At 10, it uses Petal Shower, which can turn everyone into mushrooms. Count Down also says various things when it chooses a time, but I can't find a collection of all of them. They're probably different in Japanese, too.

I doubt we're onto anything but this kind of stuff is so much more fun than "insider man said thing" (which inevitably turns out to be dead wrong)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm assuming people are looking into those pics of the day again with the timers. Obviously taking out of the equation that the dates (one specifically flat out isn't happening being the October reveal idea since we know we aren't getting one in November) but pics of the day have never actually amounted to anything. Personally wouldn't take it too seriously. Sidenote I know people aren't blindly believing it (here at least). Fun discussion starter though

I'd like the next character asap (30th would be cool) as much as the next guy. Just a question but why have I been seeing so many people ignoring everything going against fighter 8 in November? I'm quite confused on that since it's quite apparent it isn't happening based on it then but I'm seeing lots of people ignoring the stuff. I only just fully realised that it was happening tbh. Confusing to say the least.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
no news till december lights. unless the guys can find the hints on the code.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
A bold assumption!
Very bold indeed but is a hill I'm willing to die on nevertheless, slain at the edge of whomevers blade is stood upon the ground before me after having met my fate.

In all seriousness I personally don't think it's too bold. One month after Steve? Based on that alone I'm surprised people are considering it plausible. At least the people who aren't ignoring it. Still hopefully it's not too long but we surely must be waiting till December at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom