• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute, what if Nintendo meant that the Banjo, Terry, and Byleth amiibos would release BY Fall 2021? Maybe Banjo would come in Spring, Terry in Summer, Byleth, and Min Min in Winter? Just a thought.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Droodle Droodle

SMRPG:

-two Jpegs

-two spirit battles

Monster Hunter:

-a Jpeg

-an assist trophy that had to be programmed to not appear on 22 stages

-a boss battle that's not only in the main adventure mode but a boss in 6 Classic mode campaigns

-Two music tracks from two seperate games

-an entire section of the Adventure mode dedicated to it, including a seperate map Rathalos with prompts and movements

It's not comparable. Geno and Mallow are literally two spirit battles out of more than a thousand while Rathalos is one of the game's 10 bosses and 61 assist trophies. River City Ransom currently has more content in Ultimate than SMRPG. Resident Evil currently has more content than SMRPG. Octopath Traveler and Trials of Mana currently have more content than SMRPG. The Legend of Starfy has more content than SMRPG. We could seriously do this all day, really hammering the point in hard if I included music of games that don't have playable characters. The comparison borders on poe, honestly.
Again I'm saying in GENERAL, using the idea that "these characters are not happening, because they had content in base game" is the problem. My entire point is that they could have been decided upon AFTER base game content had already been decided. You should get this, you're the one of the few people here that says Waluigi or Dixie have a chance, but if we count Mario/DK content against MH content Mario/DK beat it by a country mile; even if we consider what they got in Smash Ultimate.

If you discount MH because they had "so much content in the base game." You could literally do the same for Geno. Geno had more content in base game than all of the DLC we've gotten so far (because unlike even Min Min who originally just had a spirit, Geno also had a icon on top of that). It's dumb as ****, but if Geno was to get in he would be the character with the most "presence" in the base game to get in. No character so far has had an icon, which clearly requires separate negotiations. Even someone like Lloyd has 0 presence, and he was a highly requested character for a while now. They didn't bother getting the rights to his Spirit, or even an icon.

Like I said it's dumb as **** but if you're suggesting that Nintendo will go back to negotiating for Geno in Fighters Pass 2 after they got the rights to his spirit and icon, and even a potentially a mii costume back in Base negotiations; WHY can't do the same for Monster Hunter? Will they be like "MH is a highly requested character in Smash, but unfortunately it got TOO MUCH CONTENT in the base game so we're sorry but we can't go back and get more content". Byleth already proves that wrong, FE got Chrom and a bunch of new songs added into the base game.

Because it sounds pretty stupid. And AGAIN, I'm not saying Monster Hunter is IN; but I'm saying that people here dismiss it far too quickly with little to no evidence.

If Nintendo wants it, they can add more Monster Hunter content to smash, like a proper stage, a fighter, more music, spirit boards and a felyne mii hat.

They can also re-use the assets from Rathalos boss arena and make simple stage, add 3-4 musics tracks and also a spirit board event near MH Rise (and maybe Stories 2) release.

Monster Hunter is very important for Switch, so I think they will not waste the opportunity to have some crossover with Smash Ultimate.
This is literally all I'm suggesting. If Nintendo wants it, they can easily add in more Monster Hunter content; there is no hard rule against it.

And I'm going to correct myself too, in the Dragalia Lost video; those are alts of DL characters wearing MH Armor and gear, and using MH abilities. It's not really a TRUE Monster Hunter character, but again the playstyle/animations are meant to invoke playing as a Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright, let me put this even further into perspective...

Content in Base Game?

Persona: No
Dragon Quest: No
Banjo Kazooie: No
Fatal Fury: No
Three Houses: No
ARMS: Yes. One assist trophy, two costumes, multiple spirits
Minecraft: No

Monster Hunter: One assist trophy, one boss (includes original stage), two music tracks, one section of Adventure mode

Monster Hunter had more content in the base game than all the current DLC characters combined.

SMRPG: Two spirits.

SMRPG currently has less content than ARMS did in the base game, making it more in line with all the other DLC we've had so far. Something else to note... None of these had music in the base game, not even ARMS, but Monster Hunter did further pointing out the work that was already done to have Monster Hunter in the base game.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Glad to see y'all are still spinning your wheels and Fatman hasn't gotten a life.

Seriously hope some of ya can step back and realize it's just a game. While we would all love to see this character in the game, it's not healthy to put so much stake in the achievements of others.

I'm sure some of you speculate more than you play the actual game.
I can’t lie, the only reason I still speculate about this game is because I want Geno to be in it.

My other most wanted (Minecraft Steve) is already in.

Sakurai, JUST LET ME JUMP OFF THIS TRAIN ALREADY! And stop making me worry about every damn Mii Costume wave.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
My predicitons:
78) Geno, meant as the big fan fave ala Banjo
79) Ryu Hayabusa, we heard a lot of rumors about him, and now that the Minecraft rumors have come true, I'm goin' hmmmmm
80) Crash Bandicoot, this one would be timed with next year's E3 (or whatever we do next year lol, the pass was decided with E3's in mind)
81) Lloyd or Yuri, I feel like a tales rep is pretty likely

Bonus characters are unlikely, imo. But if we get them, Waluigi would be perfect.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Content in Base Game?

Monster Hunter: One assist trophy, one boss (includes original stage), two music tracks, one section of Adventure mode

Monster Hunter had more content in the base game than all the current DLC characters combined.

SMRPG currently has less content than ARMS did in the base game, making it more in line with all the other DLC we've had so far. Something else to note... None of these had music in the base game, not even ARMS, but Monster Hunter did further pointing out the work that was already done to have Monster Hunter in the base game.
You're completely missing the point again and again, there are no hard limits of how much stuff you can get in the base game.

I can do the same thing.
Arena Icons in base game?

Joker: No
Hero: No
Terry Bogard: No
Byleth: No
Min Min: No
Steve: No
(And lets put in your frequent predictions for the rest)
Lloyd: No
Dante: No
Crash: No
Geno: Yes???

I mean Geno is already defying a trend if we go by your predictions. Does it mean he's not in? Nope. But as an INDIVIDUAL character, he still has more content in the base game than any of the characters that have come before, and even your most frequent predictions as well. Clearly Geno has too much content already if trends are anything to go by.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Droodle Droodle Dude, no... It's not the same. A couple of jpegs is not the same as music tracks, a full on boss, and all the other stuff Monster Hunter currently has. Not from a technical standpoint. Not from a business standpoint. "It's literally the same!" No, it's not... One is clearly bigger and significantly more complex than the other by a considerable margin. A static picture is not as complicated as a fully programmed boss. I don't even really know what we're arguing at this point... One is objectively more complicated than the other.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Glad to see y'all are still spinning your wheels and Fatman hasn't gotten a life.

Seriously hope some of ya can step back and realize it's just a game. While we would all love to see this character in the game, it's not healthy to put so much stake in the achievements of others.

You cared enough about it to comment on it. Why not just play Smash and let people discuss something that excites them? It's literally why the internet was created.

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet

Content in Base Game?

Were we not kinda expecting that FP1 wouldn't feature any content from the base game though? FP2 had a significant impact on who was possible and who wasn't in my opinion. For FP1 I easily had Monster Hunter and Arms written off and honestly I also had Geno semi-written off. But the introduction of FP2 just seemed like it opened up so many possibilities for characters with base game content and I think the addition of Min Min kinda backs this line of thought.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Were we not kinda expecting that FP1 wouldn't feature any content from the base game though? FP2 had a significant impact on who was possible and who wasn't in my opinion. For FP1 I easily had Monster Hunter and Arms written off and honestly I also had Geno semi-written off. But the introduction of FP2 just seemed like it opened up so many possibilities for characters with base game content and I think the addition of Min Min kinda backs this line of thought.
I'm not totally writing off base game content. I'm pointing out the very distinct precedent that all the DLC we've had so far had little or no content in the base game. It was the same in Smash 4 too. The ARMS pack is so far the only exception but, some things to note:

-it's first party, not third

-it didn't have music or a stage in the base game

-it only had a few spirit battles in the base game

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Droodle Droodle Dude, no... It's not the same. A couple of jpegs is not the same as music tracks, a full on boss, and all the other stuff Monster Hunter currently has. Not from a technical standpoint. Not from a business standpoint. "It's literally the same!" No, it's not... One is clearly bigger and significantly more complex than the other by a considerable margin. A static picture is not as complicated as a fully programmed boss. I don't even really know what we're arguing at this point... One is objectively more complicated than the other.
Did I EVER deny MH got more content than SMRPG? No I DIDN'T. I have repeated this OVER and OVER, literally from POINT 1 I have said that the theory that MH got too much content in the base game and so Nintendo can't ask for a fighter now or Nintendo wouldn't EVER want a fighter from that series is inherently flawed. THE POINT HAS LITERALLY NOT CHANGED SINCE THE BEGINNING. I have never claimed that MH is 100% in; all I am saying is that Monster Hunter is possible. Since point 1.

Besides you haven't countered my stupid as **** point that Geno still had the more negotiations done for him in the base (and more than Mallow for sure) than any DLC fighter so far; no other DLC fighter has had an icon in base. None of the fighters you suggest most frequently have had an icon in base. Even Min Min who is literally first party has no icon in base. Even Minecraft who was rumored to high heavens by Vergeben, around the same time had 0 icons in base. Clearly, if there is an "UPPER Limit" for the amount of content that a character could have in base, but still be DLC in Fighters Pass 2; then Geno and Monster Hunter have both surpassed it according to all the patterns. Lloyd is still fair game though.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Do you think you could you explain more about the prototyping process, if you’ve heard how it works?

A couple Discord friends and I were discussing it and we’re having trouble seeing how Nintendo would make negotiations for a character like Dante, prototype him, and then go back to Capcom and say “no”

I definitely remember hearing people mention Melmetal back in Nov 2018 (I recognize the name because I had no idea who it was back then, and only recently found out it’s apparently a Gen 8 Pokemon)
Yeah, Melmetal is this guy
Melmetal.png
(the little things around him are Meltan, the Pokemon he evolves from)
He's an 8 foot tall dude with a liquid metal body, and also the only mythical Pokemon Ash owns... yeah, Ash Ketchum actually has one of these guys, and he DIDN'T get rid of him. Min Min kinda does his whole thing but better. Melmetal has his Double Iron Bash, Min Min has swappable ARMS and stretchy punches.

Generally, this hits on most of the names that I heard around that time, with a bunch that never reached my ears.

There are a few missing, for example:
Dante, Melmetal, and Katalina were all prototyped but scrapped.
Geno was on the Square Enix list.
Edelgaard did get some consideration.
Bandana Waddle Dee, Sylux, Slime, Dovakhiin, and the protagonist character of Little Town Hero were all names I heard at some point, but I have doubts about their legitimacy.

Dante is an interesting case because there was some confusion around whether he was only scrapped for the base game and if there was a chance for work to pick back up on him for DLC.

This list could be legitimate, but I'd err on the side of it being a really lucky guess (although there are some names on there that are pretty surprising guesses).
XENOTHER! Ain't that a name I haven't heard in a long while! Now... regarding this list and my occasionally faulty memory... did I read a GameFAQs comment from you a long while ago that Chun-li was considered but was swapped out for Ken? I very well might be remembering that wrong, just making sure.

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
I'm not totally writing off base game content. I'm pointing out the very distinct precedent that all the DLC we've had so far had little or no content in the base game. It was the same in Smash 4 too. The ARMS pack is so far the only exception but, some things to note:

-it's first party, not third

-it didn't have music or a stage in the base game

-it only had a few spirit battles in the base game
Solid points. I just kinda felt that comparing the FP1 characters to the FP2 characters is a bit unfair. I just feel it's only fair to compare potential FP2 characters to the characters we know we are getting in FP2 (Min Min and Steve) as opposed to characters in FP1. Obviously Minecraft has no base game content, but that's to be expected considering the size of the franchise. But Arms on the other hand, does have enough base game content to be comparable to the base game content of Monster Hunter (I'd say MH still has a tad more). However, the fact that MH is third party and Arms is first is definitely a significant point and is a bit of a hit against future MH content.

Not really saying that MH is likely by all means, just kinda pointing out that it's not an impossibility (especially given its popularity in Japan). Still would prefer Dante, Phoenix, Amaterasu or Zero as a Capcom rep anyways.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
As much as I want Geno, I'm totally down for Ryu Hayabusa to be here too... that would technically make Dead or Alive part of Smash.

Geno already stopped Smithy Gang and his machines, now he's gotta go stop DOATEC and MIST and their clones and experiments.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Droodle Droodle :

View attachment 288618

I don't know about you but I can't imagine getting the rights to use a 24 year old picture is exactly the Treaty of Versailles of Smash negotiations.
I imagine getting the right to use the pictures of Min Min for the Friend Icon would've been pretty easy to do too, considering that they literally own her. And I imagine Lloyd would also be pretty cheap.

Also if it wasn't a big deal, why didn't they also get Mallow?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I imagine getting the right to use the pictures of Min Min for the Friend Icon would've been pretty easy to do too, considering that they literally own her. And I imagine Lloyd would also be pretty cheap.

Also if it wasn't a big deal, why didn't they also get Mallow?
It's a digital picture. It's a nice little doodad. It's 1 of 1427.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...once we know when that Mario 35th anniversary Smash Tournament has a set date, it'll potentially give us a clue of when the reveal of FP8 might take place. The reveal usually happens within a week of the tournament concluding, with Min Min and Steve's reveals occurring in that way

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Melmetal is this guy
View attachment 288616
(the little things around him are Meltan, the Pokemon he evolves from)
He's an 8 foot tall dude with a liquid metal body, and also the only mythical Pokemon Ash owns... yeah, Ash Ketchum actually has one of these guys, and he DIDN'T get rid of him. Min Min kinda does his whole thing but better. Melmetal has his Double Iron Bash, Min Min has swappable ARMS and stretchy punches.

XENOTHER! Ain't that a name I haven't heard in a long while! Now... regarding this list and my occasionally faulty memory... did I read a GameFAQs comment from you a long while ago that Chun-li was considered but was swapped out for Ken? I very well might be remembering that wrong, just making sure.
hahaha, Steve brought me back, but I won't be sticking around for long.

I don't think she was replaced by Ken. What I was told is that they wanted her for the base game, but had to scrap the idea because they couldn't get together a moveset that they were satisfied with in time.

Also Melmetal could be a super cool and unique character if they ever decide to re-visit!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

BEGONE HEATHEN!!!

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Can we all agree that the best way to tell if a leak is fake is if they are incredibly vague? Like has there been any real leaks that are so vague I don't know what I'm reading? Like HGV.
Yes, and it can also go the opposite way with someone being way too specific, unless of course they've already been proven credible before.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Can we all agree that the best way to tell if a leak is fake is if they are incredibly vague? Like has there been any real leaks that are so vague I don't know what I'm reading? Like HGV.
Funnily enough I remember Hitagi at one point wanted to make the vaguest possible leak, turning it into a riddle or something.

Would have been pretty funny, but he decided not to get people too angry by doing it.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
There was a pretty active Geno thread on 4chan early this morning where they dumped on the fanbase again, but quite a number of defenders came forward. Brought a smile to my face because I think his support is starting to grow again.
That.........or after Steveposting became pointless (first with Banjo getting over Steve last year and now Steve getting in anyway) they may want to use a new "Steve"..........

....oh no...

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
hahaha, Steve brought me back, but I won't be sticking around for long.

I don't think she was replaced by Ken. What I was told is that they wanted her for the base game, but had to scrap the idea because they couldn't get together a moveset that they were satisfied with in time.

Also Melmetal could be a super cool and unique character if they ever decide to re-visit!
We COULDA got Chun-Li....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We COULDA got Chun-Li....
On the topic of Chun-Li, I'm genuinely surprised we don't have Street Fighter costumes yet. Ignoring all the Dante stuff, this is one of the significantly smaller reasons I'm expecting another Capcom character. They feel weirdly absent.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I can’t lie, the only reason I still speculate about this game is because I want Geno to be in it.

My other most wanted (Minecraft Steve) is already in.

Sakurai, JUST LET ME JUMP OFF THIS TRAIN ALREADY! And stop making me worry about every damn Mii Costume wave.
I'm in a similar boat, I'm just wanting Geno to come soon so I can reintegrate myself with the rest of the boards. Considering the horror stories I've heard from the general speculation thread alone, I'm kinda locked here until he comes.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

Sorry if you've said this 20,001 times but how much do we actually know about Ryu and Llyod?

Is Llyod going to be more like Ness in which he is an amalgamate of his party? (I know nothing about Tales)
Or is he going to be more of a Pit without wings, arrows, shields, and arm attachments?

With Ryu has any costume talk come up? Like, say having Momiji or something more exotic like Kasumi?

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
In any case... it is actually I who has heard rumors tonight! That's right, ME. Of all people. Who'd have thunk?

SO... apparently there's a rumor as to why Geno wasn't Fighter #7, and it also happens to tie into the recently rejuvenated Ryu Hayabusa rumors.

Ya see... Geno was on his way to go become Fighter #7, RSVP his invitation and confirm his appearance and all. He stepped out of the woods as he always does, but this time he stumbled upon a NINJA FIGHT
Geno Watches.jpg

Now Geno had heard rumors of his own that Hayabusa might have also gotten an invitation. While Geno wasn't able to confirm or deny THOSE rumors, Geno apparently became quite the fan. Geno is supportive of other Smash Bros contenders (he's cool that way), so he attended one of Hayabusa's exhibition fights
Geno Watches 2.jpg

HOWEVER, and here's where the story gets good: Geno apparently had a REALLY tough time staying in his seat. He just got too excited
Geno Watches Disobediently.jpg

And supposedly security escorted Geno from the arena after that little act of excitement. Geno apparently got in a lot of trouble and had to miss out on the RSVP time period for Fighter #7, and that's why Geno isn't #7.

I understand from sources that I will keep anonymous for their safety that Geno is hanging out in some pretty sketchy places these days while he waits for the next RSVP period.
Geno Watches Sketchy.jpg

And that's the last I heard of Geno's whereabouts. It's good to hear that Geno is supportive of characters other than himself, even if he is so supportive that he disrupts public events with his enthusiasm.

I can't reveal my sources, I don't want to get them in trouble or ruin Geno or Hayabusa's chances.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah same, I’m surprised we don’t have a Chun Li or Guile Mii coustume. That would have been perfect!
On the topic of Chun-Li, I'm genuinely surprised we don't have Street Fighter costumes yet. Ignoring all the Dante stuff, this is one of the significantly smaller reasons I'm expecting another Capcom character. They feel weirdly absent.

D

Deleted member

I just thought of something, could Sakurai decide which costumes he would want to add and in a pack? The Sans costume was added because he was a popular request and Rex for his inclusion added as a bonus for the Fighters Pass. Hypothetically, if he does, who wouldn’t of thought adding Geno in Hero’s Pass if not Fighter Pass 1. They could of added Geno’s costume with Hero and save Chocobo for another rep. Since Sakurai acknowledged his popularity and Nintendo with the ballot, they would pretty much have to address Geno sooner or later. I’m not sure if nothing special is happening with Geno, Sakurai would want to drag out a year and half for a costume from after all that PR as talked about in the latest PapaGenos video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

Sorry if you've said this 20,001 times but how much do we actually know about Ryu and Llyod?

Is Llyod going to be more like Ness in which he is an amalgamate of his party? (I know nothing about Tales)
Or is he going to be more of a Pit without wings, arrows, shields, and arm attachments?

With Ryu has any costume talk come up? Like, say having Momiji or something more exotic like Kasumi?
Ryu is... Ryu. He's the only Koei Tecmo content that has ever come up so I kind of resent him. He just sort of... Exists and has since late 2018. It's kind of funny because he's a lot like Waluigi except people have opposite expectations for him. Virtually everyone has heard Waluigi but almost no thinks he's real while virtually everyone has heard Ryu and most believe he's real.

Last thing I potentially heard about Lloyd was in the summer of 2019. It was a super vague rumor about him having a team mechanic of some kind involving other characters. No specifics. Personally I could picture him like Pokemon Trainer where one of his teammates (95% likely Colette) is in the background and can assist in battle somehow. In Symphonia she's basically a white mage while Lloyd is a berserker so it would be a nice pairing if she uses light magic/healing and he's just a wily **** that tears into everyone. Still, this is just my own speculation and nothing new specifically has come up with Lloyd since except this year is the 25th Tales anniversary and Namco hasn't announced anything significant yet.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

This isn’t related to Geno but please look at my Ryu Hayabusa write up for the news articles if you wondering how Hayabusa would work. I also wrote up a Lloyd article way back earlier this year that sucks.

I’m currently working on a new article that will hopefully be published within a week or so. I do have a Geno article partially written up which includes a SMRPG series analysis like the other ones I have. If I have any questions, I’ll come here to ask.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Man I wish an official Geno doll was made. Takara why didn’t you make this?!?! Such a missed opportunity. Oh and also can I just mention that Takara’s Mallow plush is probably the rarest piece of Mario merchandise I have ever seen. Only three pictures are know to exist. Good luck getting your hands on one. Mario RPG merchandise is really rare and expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom