• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It seems like a stretch to say that he's completely out of the running, and if he is, it's probably best not to celebrate that a character didn't make it in. (my concern is that it seems to come across as petty, and it could easily be turned around if Geno doesn't make it in)

Unless I'm misinterpreting what that "can we get a W in the chat?" means.
So...what is the big deal here? A character that is seen by some as a direct competitor to the character we want just had a major blow against them.

Are we not allowed to be happy or feel excited to good news for Geno just because it may go against the chances of another character?

Sorry Chief, not everyone can be a winner. Smash may give out participation trophies, but no one really likes them anyway, and not every character can get into Smash.

That would be like telling someone who loves the Cubs to not be happy about the White Sox having their best batter not able to play a crucial game because he pulled a muscle. Sucks for that guy and the White Sox, but there is no way you can stop that guy from going "Oh man oh man, this is huge! Dude this could win us the playoffs! Dude this is crazy!"

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
Origami King spirits weren't missing. I was right they were coming but just not in 3 months. Still leaves MM2, LM2 and technically Crafted World
It’s kinda too late for MM2, Yoshi’s Crafted World already has representation I think. Luigi’s Mansion 3 spirits are still a possibility though. I’d say around like Halloween time.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I’m still not sold this week is a general direct. I think we’re getting SOMETHING but it seems like most people aren’t real sure of the nature of this thing. Just like last time we got a Partner Presentation.
Nate seems hard betting its a general direct of some kind, mini or otherwise, and that there are first-party games there. Not to mention, the last direct we had was the mini in march, which was, low and behold, was on a Friday.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nate seems hard betting its a general direct of some kind, mini or otherwise, and that there are first-party games there. Not to mention, the last direct we had was the mini in march, which was, low and behold, was on a Friday.
March 26th was on a Thursday.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
March 26th was on a Thursday.
It was? I could have sworn the direct was on a Friday. Huh.

In other news...

Seems we got a name for this so called Mario Collection now, atleast according to Grubb. (Also tidbit from Grubb that the Star Fox Grand Prix being leakbait thing being 100% the case)

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It was? I could have sworn the direct was on a Friday. Huh.

In other news...

Seems we got a name for this so called Mario Collection now, atleast according to Grubb. (Also tidbit from Grubb that the Star Fox Grand Prix being leakbait thing being 100% the case)
Meh.... not too crazy on it being named after Super Mario All-Stars. Just seems kinda tacky tbh

But beggars can't be choosers I guess

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There's still plenty of new Paper Mario spirits they could add with Paper Mario as a new character. PM's fate is still not 100% confirmed either way. That's just the mindset I'm going with.

Although, one more Peach type spirit, and people will start confusing this game as a Mario Kart roster.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There's still plenty of new Paper Mario spirits they could add with Paper Mario as a new character. PM's fate is still not 100% confirmed either way. That's just the mindset I'm going with.

Although, one more Peach type spirit, and people will start confusing this game as a Mario Kart roster.
That will be how they expand the roster in the next Mario kart game. We'll get Paper Mario, Paper Bowser, Paper Peach, Paper Luigi, and Paper versions of all the Koopalings.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Ok, I don't follow Discord stuff, why is FOREST MAZE so seemingly against Geno apparently? Like, it's IN THE NAME? Would they suddenly completely change their mind if Papagenos said he thought he was likely?

I DO think Geno is likely I just sometimes try and hide my Geno "power level" to not come across bias haha but yeah I'm as baffled as you are that "forest maze" has a lot of Geno detractors, oh well.

Origami King Spirit event i'm torn about (pun intended).

Paper Mario has plenty of other games for a good spirit board but you'd assume the whole reason to save/hold off on the origami king spirit event was for him to have those spirits on his board, it was easily the best thing he had going in his favor. Also it would be very odd to announce the spirit event and then have Paper Mario announced on Friday, they'd have basically "given it away" early and that has never been something to happen with smash.

That is of course assuming the Direct Rumors are true though I think they likely are.

I dont like being happy to see another character take a hit against their chances but reality is Paper Mario is Genos biggest rival for smash, being not only a mario character but a mario RPG character. Honestly, having an origami king spirit event the day that Geno gets announced would be fitting without "giving away who it is"...but I dont want to hype yet or celebrate a character taking a hit against them (I like paper mario anyway, if we could get both him and geno id be fine with that but its extremely unlikely we'd get 2 mario rpg game characters... so we have a rivalry here).

Paper Mario playable with a Geno deluxe Mii costume has been my "low expectation" hope. Something I could live with and didn't want to hype too much beyond in case star road is destroyed and wishes aren't coming true anytime soon BUT this origami king spirit event is truly surprising and I do think it puts Geno in the lead for potential Mario rep MAYBE even challenger pack 7 and MAYBE revealed this week. I don't know at this point what will happen but Geno's current chances seem pretty good.

I do hope the stars align soon here, I think we have all been waiting long enough.

QQS

Smash Lord
I DO think Geno is likely I just sometimes try and hide my Geno "power level" to not come across bias haha but yeah I'm as baffled as you are that "forest maze" has a lot of Geno detractors, oh well.

Paper Mario has plenty of other games for a good spirit board but you'd assume the whole reason to save/hold off on the origami king spirit event was for him to have those spirits on his board, it was easily the best thing he had going in his favor. Also it would be very odd to announce the spirit event and then have Paper Mario announced on Friday, they'd have basically "given it away" early and that has never been something to happen with smash.

That is of course assuming the Direct Rumors are true though I think they likely are.

I dont like being happy to see another character take a hit against their chances but reality is Paper Mario is Genos biggest rival for smash, being not only a mario character but a mario RPG character. Honestly, having an origami king spirit event the day that Geno gets announced would be fitting without "giving away who it is"...but I dont want to hype yet or celebrate a character taking a hit against them (I like paper mario anyway, if we could get both him and geno id be fine with that but its extremely unlikely we'd get 2 mario rpg game characters... so we have a rivalry here).

Paper Mario playable with a Geno deluxe Mii costume has been my "low expectation" hope. Something I could live with and didn't want to hype too much beyond in case star road is destroyed and wishes aren't coming true anytime soon BUT this origami king spirit event is truly surprising and I do think it puts Geno in the lead for potential Mario rep MAYBE even challenger pack 7 and MAYBE revealed this week. I don't know at this point what will happen but Geno's current chances seem pretty good.

I do hope the stars align soon here, I think we have all been waiting long enough.
To sum up in QQS words: GENO JOINS THE PARTY!!!!!

💙💛💚🤎

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

You’re probably going to get globs of notifications of replies and likes and whatnot but I do want to see its great to see you back on Smashboards and I hope this isn’t a one time thing. I know a lot of community either looks up to you or appreciates your outlook on the series. The videos you produce certainly generates lots of discussion here. I may not be a supporter of Geno, it still would be amazing just to see the reactions and happiness generated from that reveal. If “the stars do align” and we get Geno, I hope you don’t forget Smashboards and this thread so you can party along with them!

Looking forward to future videos!

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If Geno does become playable, I'd like to thank myself as being the cornerstone for the movement, the guiding light for fans that inspired them to voice their support, the upstanding moral center that encouraged hope amongst the doubters, inspiration to all via my passion, my dreams, my words, my tenacity, my strength, my flowing hair, my hubris, my ego, my obsession, what my therapist calls my narcissistic raging God complex, my amazingnesscity, my hair. Gathered all who witnessed to stand tall and cheer for Geno to finally return!

He's that fluffy cloud dude who cries, right? The.....Wario lookalike in the tower? Geno's not the murder cake, right? Maybe the cake? Huh. I hated that fight.

Anyway, to all new people viewing this thread and entering the first time:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
If Geno does become playable, I'd like to thank myself as being the cornerstone for the movement, the guiding light for fans that inspired them to voice their support, the upstanding moral center that encouraged hope amongst the doubters, inspiration to all via my passion, my dreams, my words, my tenacity, my strength, my flowing hair, my hubris, my ego, my obsession, what my therapist calls my narcissistic raging God complex, my amazingnesscity, my hair. Gathered all who witnessed to stand tall and cheer for Geno to finally return!

He's that fluffy cloud dude who cries, right? The.....Wario lookalike in the tower? Geno's not the murder cake, right? Maybe the cake? Huh. I hated that fight.

Anyway, to all new people viewing this thread and entering the first time:

Naming my first born son Victor after you, thank you for all you've done for us. It's an honor, truly

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Hope to see the:

“Prepare for a 45 min NINTENDO DIRECT on Friday 28” announcement on Wednesday or Thursday.

In the Direct itself, prepare for the continuation of Rosalina CGI with Kirby; or Mario lost in a wood, or a Star descending to possess dolls.

Prepare to seal 20 years of Fan Demand.
Can’t believe it’s almost happening very soon :’)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'd be lying if I said I was that sad over Paper Mario being spirited away. He's a cool character, but I have a lot of others that I want more. My condolences to his supporters, though

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I don't come in this thread often but I had this funny idea in my head that I wanted to share.

How would you guys feel if FP7 isn't Geno. 7 gets showcased by Sakurai at the end of the direct, and then... Mii Costumes... we all hold our breath but unfortunately, last costume shown is Geno... we see 10 seconds of gameplay of it jumping around and doing silly stuff while we all sigh in disappointment...

FORGET IT, BUD. The freaking Mii gets killed out of nowhere and the camera pans to the left and real Geno is standing there cooling his gun. Fake out reveal, boys, it happened!

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
So on NateDrake's latest podcast (who most of us know is a legitimate gaming industry insider) starting at 3:29, he said the following...

"Nintendo will host a Nintendo Direct this week on Friday, August 28th. ...to my knowledge, it is a general Direct. And, let's make it simple. If it is announced on Thursday, then it's a general. If it's not announced on Thursday, it means it's shadowdropping on Friday and that would make it a Mini. One thing is for certain, there will be 1st party games and there will be 3rd party games. This is something we should look forward to. Now don't overhype it, this isn't their E3 replacement. I mean it could be in terms of the amount of announcements, it should be a quality show."

If you listen to more of the podcast, Nate is very certain that a Direct is coming this week, no holds bars. He essentially stresses that he doesn't know the Direct's branding. But he also stresses that regardless of whether or not it is a general or Mini, that the Direct should be quality (just don't expect it to be their E3 replacement).

Link to podcast:

For anyone interested, they mention Mario RPG and Geno for Smash starting at 15:47.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
FORGET IT, BUD. The freaking Mii gets killed out of nowhere and the camera pans to the left and real Geno is standing there cooling his gun. Fake out reveal, boys, it happened!
I'm half expecting them to do something like this if an assist trophy gets promoted.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Well it's almost 8:00 p.m. on the 26th in Japan right now. They could still build some hype over there by announcing it in the next 4 hours, but if they announce it tonight for us it's technically Thursday morning for them and by that point seems like it's cutting it pretty close to warn people to schedule a block of time to watch a big direct. I suppose they could say tune in Friday morning in Japan, which would be Thursday night for us, but then that doesn't give us a lot of time. I just feel that the size of this direct can't be big. The E3 direct we know about at least a month in advance. There is a chance this gets shadow dropped which is totally likely, but I would be shocked to see them do that if this is going to be the one that announces the holiday titles.

My expectations are set right back to almost just above zero. I don't think we're going to get more than another partner showcase or an announcement. I think it's looking very likely that the big big direct everybody is expecting isn't going to happen until close to mid September. Nintendo has completely defied expectations this year and completely bungled their PR, whether you think there's an excuse for that or not. I don't suspect this is the big one at all. I think they could totally push till mid September and then just immediately release all of the stuff that we are expecting, like Geno and the Mario collection, immediately after that presentation. They're at a point now where the general public, the casuals, and the media think they're a runaway success story and really this holiday is theirs to lose. Nintendo could announce nothing and still get away making millions for the rest of the year. So they can rest on their laurels as long as they want. We will get something by the end of the year, but to reiterate I have zero faith it is the end of this week and I'm really suspecting it's not going to be for another two or three weeks.

Edit: rereading this I just had a thought that maybe we are getting something on Friday, but it will be shadow dropped, and it will not be a direct. If they were willing to shadow drop announcements of Paper Mario and Pikmin, I could totally see them announcing the Mario collection on Friday and just leaving it at that. It totally fits with the pattern this year, it's an appropriate thing to do with that title, and it will dominate the new cycle without them having to prep an announcement and gives them an out if they for some reason decide they can't reveal it that day. Just saying we all should be tempering our expectations. I think the Smash reveal is coming and I think it is going to be Geno, but it's not going to be Friday. I really don't expect that. There's no way this is the big direct.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Am I crazy or aren’t announcements normally at like 10 AM or 11 AM EST? So in 3ish hours? Minus that midnight Partner that one time, I can’t recall a time in recent history it wasn’t.
They are, we’re not seeing a Direct announcement before 9AM EST at minimum, so we still at the very least have another hour and a half, more than likely 2.5, possibly up to 3.5, and even then, we’ve had announcements recently as late as midnight.

This isn’t like previous months where a lot of smoke has gone up and then nothing happened, there’s legit fire with how widespread the confidence and support in this Direct coming is, so whether it’s Thursday or Friday for us in the West, it’s gonna happen and just because we haven’t gotten an announcement yet doesn’t mean it’s suddenly non-existent.

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
Am I crazy or aren’t announcements normally at like 10 AM or 11 AM EST? So in 3ish hours? Minus that midnight Partner that one time, I can’t recall a time in recent history it wasn’t.
Yeah, I swear announcements have always been around 12 AM AEST. So we got like 2.5hrs before we start getting skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom