• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
That's too bad. But oh well. Which reminds me, I should probably put Bloodborne down for a while and finish Origami King.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Paper Mario deconfirmed can we get a W in the chat?
It seems like a stretch to say that he's completely out of the running, and if he is, it's probably best not to celebrate that a character didn't make it in. (my concern is that it seems to come across as petty, and it could easily be turned around if Geno doesn't make it in)

Unless I'm misinterpreting what that "can we get a W in the chat?" means.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Now we just need a Waluigi Spirit Event to guarantee Geno :mybodyisreggie:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I dunno. Almost a year since the last real Direct, it's potentially the first ever Friday General Direct, and the rumors about new hardware have picked up steam. General Directs have averaged 35-48 minutes so that's a ton of content. Because of what an absolute ****nado this year has been, my only "wants" for this Direct are Geno and one dead franchise revival announcement. That's it. Obviously, there's a lot that can go into this presentation but at this point, I'm so wildly burned out that I'm going in with exactly two checkboxes to check.
See, rumors about new hardware have kinda made me doubt having a major dump here. I'm only really expecting stuff as far as like Spring 2021 at the latest. Just thinking about it a bit, Switch Pro in 2021 makes alot of sense and also serves as a great explanation to what Nintendo seems to be doing this year.
  • When you look at Nintendo handhelds, patterns are actually relatively consistent. A facelift around 1.5-2.5 years into the consoles life, with the latter two being limited in functionality to drive down costs (GBA SP, DS Lite, 2DS, Switch Lite), and a major revision around 3.5-4 years in (DSi, New 3DS). Switch Pro would be 2021, maybe even EARLY 2021 if it follows this trend (and Nintendo tends to announce new hardware revisions only months ahead of their release).
  • Nintendo stockpiling games for 2021 feels likely, I mean think about it. You're already set for the entire year with Animal Crossing, and a bunch of games have been delayed, but only by a few months. Meanwhile your competitors are planning on launching brand new, EXPENSIVE consoles in the middle of a pandemic and an economic downturn, while you've got a far cheaper console already being carried by evergreen titles like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, all you really need to do is make some new bundles, maybe announce a small price drop, release a few of the smaller titles/ports you're sitting on, advertise the hell out of it, and boom, you have a great Holiday Season.
  • Then, once 2021 rolls around, you start really unloading big games and a stronger Switch to compete with the new consoles as they start picking up steam. I really think we are going to see 2017-2 in terms of output once we hit 2021 and possibly even more.

Well, there goes Paper Mario (Wooooo! specifically because if he was in it would be nothing but Nu-Paper Mario stuff) and the weirdness around the Mario Spirits. Except not really, because it just makes Luigi's Mansion 3 not getting spirits look EVEN weirder now that we have yet another first-party game getting them. Seriously, what is the deal?

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
It seems like a stretch to say that he's completely out of the running, and if he is, it's probably best not to celebrate that a character didn't make it in. (my concern is that it seems to come across as petty, and it could easily be turned around if Geno doesn't make it in)

Unless I'm misinterpreting what that "can we get a W in the chat?" means.
Agreed, I mean Geno's mii costume could still come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I wanna see how people are gonna bend over backwards and defend "Insiders" if they are wrong about a Direct Friday.
I know I'm doubtful sometimes but the quote above is a bit tacky. Giving insiders a bit of leeway considering the pandemic and that there's a high chance that the direct might be next week is alright

Griselda

Smash Lord
I dunno, it seems like I'm one of the very few who don't consider the separate Mario characters to be competition for each other, considering how wildly different they are and the roles they fill. I mean, Sakurai isn't going to have plans for Waluigi and then suddenly take him out because his request for Geno went through, or the other way around. They would both be chosen for very different reasons, from my perspective.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I dunno, it seems like I'm one of the very few who don't consider the separate Mario characters to be competition for each other, considering how wildly different they are and the roles they fill. I mean, Sakurai isn't going to have plans for Waluigi and then suddenly take him out because his request for Geno went through, or the other way around. They would both be chosen for very different reasons, from my perspective.
Precisely. It's why we need to wait and see what Friday brings forth

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Forest Maze is already cooking up something as we speak, I bet.
Ok, I don't follow Discord stuff, why is FOREST MAZE so seemingly against Geno apparently? Like, it's IN THE NAME? Would they suddenly completely change their mind if Papagenos said he thought he was likely?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It’d be pretty surprising for him to make it in when the characters from his most recent game are now in as spirits. He could come with other Paper Mario characters as spirits I think that’s as likely as Resident Evil getting a rep at this point. I’m happy that arguably the biggest competition for Geno being playable is a much less likely possibility. I like Paper Mario but I’m not going to pretend this news doesn’t make me more hopeful. I don’t think that’s petty but if you do you’re welcome to your opinion :).If Geno doesn’t get in people are going to be way more toxic than my post lol

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
it just makes Luigi's Mansion 3 not getting spirits look EVEN weirder now that we have yet another first-party game getting them. Seriously, what is the deal?

My GUESS? They be adding 4 more ECHO fighters, and Gooigi is one of em (as I had theorized earlier here: https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3174#post-24052286 )

Luigi's Mansion 3 has that continued absence, much like the Geno costume. SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKY.

Also, both Gooigi and Geno are two inanimate things that get possessed by someone and come to life.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Origami King spirits weren't missing. I was right they were coming but just not in 3 months. Still leaves MM2, LM2 and technically Crafted World

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m still not sold this week is a general direct. I think we’re getting SOMETHING but it seems like most people aren’t real sure of the nature of this thing. Just like last time we got a Partner Presentation.

D

Deleted member

2 Square spirit events and a Mario RPG? Huh...
Paper Mario looks way more unlikely. If Paper Mario is in, it would totally be appropriate to bring the TOK spirits alongside him. It seems Geno is the front runner as a potential Mario rep. I don’t see Nintendo wanting to prioritize promoting a Mario game like LM3. Today was a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I’m still not sold this week is a general direct. I think we’re getting SOMETHING but it seems like most people aren’t real sure of the nature of this thing. Just like last time we got a Partner Presentation.
We've got just a little over 2 days to find out. We're in the home stretch to figure this out

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Paper Mario spirits? TBH I didn't think these were gonna happen. I thought it would have been lost to the void like Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We've got just a little over 2 days to find out. We're in the home stretch to figure this out
Generals are USUALLY on Thursday, yeah? I think if we don’t get an announcement tomorrow I’m going to chalk it up as NOT a general direct. But honesty this is more me looking at patterns because September is usually pretty big for NDs and that’s when I figure the next one will be but we all know Nintendo gives less than a **** about patterns.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
The wait for the general direct that supposedly has all of this stuff in it is like defeating a difficult boss, then just barely managing to put the second phase down, and then the latin chanting starts and you find out it has three phases.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Generals are USUALLY on Thursday, yeah? I think if we don’t get an announcement tomorrow I’m going to chalk it up as NOT a general direct. But honesty this is more me looking at patterns because September is usually pretty big for NDs and that’s when I figure the next one will be but we all know Nintendo gives less than a **** about patterns.
This year has been so chaotic that relying on patterns isn't viable. It's why we have to at times expect the unexpected with Nintendo

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom