• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
D

Deleted member

I'm surprised how many of you don't like the idea of Mallow being a part of Geno's moveset! For a long time I never thought about him being included, but the other day it just clicked and I think it is the most Sakurai thing he could do. We got four different versions of Hero + Slime, Joker has a Morgana taunt, the other DLC characters have a ton of stage cameos... I would 100% put money down, right now, that Mallow will be a part of Geno's moveset or stage. He's not coming as an assist or his own character. It is the most Sakurai thing to do. And I will stand by that until I'm proven wrong when Geno is released 😂

I also am starting to really think Geno's stage is going to be Bowser's Castle or something like that. Everybody and their mother assumes it's going to be the Forest Maze because that is iconic for Geno, but so far the DLC characters have represented their games more so than just themselves. Are you following me here? Bowser's Castle is one of the more if not most iconic places from Mario RPG. It's where the game begins, it's where the story get started, it's where you have to go to confront the final bad guy, there's the famous scene at the beginning of the game of Mario fighting Bowser on the chandeliers... It all just seems too perfect to pass up, especially when there currently isn't a Bowser's Castle stage unless you count that one transformation of the Paper Mario stage that you can't access without sitting through every other transformation (sidebar: why are we still not able to select specific stage transformations, considering they're available individually in spirit mode?).

A Bowser's Castle level complete with lava, the gray bricks, lava bubbles, fire bars, and the signature chandeliers from Mario RPG? There could even be an additional gimmick where Exor splits the stage in half. All of that just sounds too awesome an idea and it would fit all of the various Mario music tracks (including the Mario RPG music) the characters, and the series at large I think far better than whatever the Forest Maze stage would entail. And you could easily squeeze in cameos to that level just as much as you could any other location from that game. And for what it's worth, two of the DLC characters came with stages that are not directly related to them: Terry has a KOF stage loaded with SNK cameos even though he originated from Fatal Fury, and Min Min came with Spring Man's stage, not her own. You also have the fact that Joker's stage transforms to match Persona 3 or 4 based on the music. I think that my case is pretty supported by what we've gotten so far.

Maybe I'm being super controversial for this thread, which I'm starting to realize, but I again very strongly feel that for Geno and Mario RPG to be completely and well represented you need Mallow as part of Geno's moveset and you need a Bowser's Castle level.
Yeah, I think Mallow's gonna be in... As a mii hat and a stage background object, and probably not even all the time. Nothing about the DLC characters has represented every aspect of their home game/franchise, and suggesting Mallow to be a part of Geno's moveset is like saying Terry should have had some of Geese's moves because come on, Geese is the big bad, you can't have Fatal Fury without Geese Howard! And I sure do love how Min Min came with a dozen different fists...

I'm not gonna harp too long on that, it's just my feelings on the matter. Geno has moves galore and this might be harsh, but I feel like Mallow would actively detract from Geno as a character. Sakurai said Geno would be a perfect fit, he didn't say Geno and Mallow would be a perfect fit. I do agree with you as far as the stage goes, I don't think it'll be Forest Maze, at least not alone. I stand by a world tour stage with stops in iconic locations, like Bowser's Chandeliers, Bowyer's stump, King Calamari room, Nimbus Land, Exor's Turret, Final Factory, maybe even with stage hazards (as much as I hate the idea). For the sake of being a contrarian though, I don't agree on the stage reasoning, just the stage itself.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to go back and review old stuff because this week has been another episode of "Wow, It's ****ing Nothing" and decided to look into the hints Zell gave back in late July. As you all remember, he said "sometimes lightning strikes twice" and then later commented that "several people correctly guessed it" so I decided to see what I could deduce. Of the handful of posts that were posted before Zell did finger guns and clicked his tongue, this one stuck out to me the most because it by far cast the widest net:

Screenshot_20200812-122003.png

Occam's razor, this guy likely said something correct. It's now been a couple of weeks and new info has come out from Zell, among others

-Two Directs for August

-Hard implication that something is supposed to be happening on the 17th.

The 17th is a Monday. Beyond that, this also fits into Jeff Grubb's 11-22 timeline. With these two in mind, we can deduce that "4" is probably the correct conclusion, meaning a small presentation on the 17th and a General Direct on the 20th, a Thursday and coincidentally the 350th day since a General Direct. I guess we'll just have to see how things play out...

TTF

Smash Journeyman
So I had a fun dream last night.
4F73AEC2-AD3D-48A3-A8E9-227489B3B4A0.jpeg
First part of it was Geno being revealed as Fighter #7 with Forest Maze as a stage & Mallow as a dlc Assist Trophy.

Then afterwards, Crash Bandiccot was revealed as Fighter #8. Not only that but Coco was announced as a palette swap ala Olimar & Alph, and Special Surprise! Dingodile was a special bonus character with the Fighter pack!
02D9A5E9-3BDB-437E-A44E-D7C80668E0FB.jpeg 05A25E1C-3DC6-4FEF-BD4E-D9B68ED08BE3.jpeg 3A4C9914-33C8-4779-BB3D-B2F5A226E525.jpeg

One can dream, right?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Decided to go back and review old stuff because this week has been another episode of "Wow, It's ****ing Nothing" and decided to look into the hints Zell gave back in late July. As you all remember, he said "sometimes lightning strikes twice" and then later commented that "several people correctly guessed it" so I decided to see what I could deduce. Of the handful of posts that were posted before Zell did finger guns and clicked his tongue, this one stuck out to me the most because it by far cast the widest net:

View attachment 282043

Occam's razor, this guy likely said something correct. It's now been a couple of weeks and new info has come out from Zell, among others

-Two Directs for August

The 17th is a Monday. Beyond that, this also fits into Jeff Grubb's 11-22 timeline. With these two in mind, we can deduce that "4" is probably the correct conclusion, meaning a small presentation on the 17th and a General Direct on the 20th, a Thursday and coincidentally the 350th day since a General Direct. I guess we'll just have to see how things play out...
Plus, Mario's 35th anniversary is on the week of the 14th/15th if memory serves, so they've got to get the announcements ready to go soon

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I've done it, I've combined all the best aspects of each Geno theorycraft out there to create the ultimate Geno moveset et. al.! I'm a madman, but I finally did it! FYI Timed Hits and Mallow assists are his gimmick (and Bob's your uncle)

OPTION A: Geno is not revealed right away

The Smash 64 intro plays out as normal up until the fingers snap and the "toys" wake up. We then hear the audio continue to play as the screen pulls away to reveal the whole thing happening on an old CRT in a bedroom, just like the one in the intro but in more modern CG. The sky outside the window fades into a night sky as the TV turns to static. We then see a shooting star twinkle by in the night sky, and the toy box (off center in frame) begins to glow. This fanfare plays as the lid slowly busts open in a burst of light. The screen fades to white as the light fills everything, and we see "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Super Mario RPG" appear on the screen just as the fanfare finishes playing out. The trailer ends.

OPTION B: Geno is revealed

This fanmade trailer

Entrance: Geno's star spirals down and settles into the toy body, causing it to grow to life size and become the Geno we know and love
Taunt 1: View attachment 282013Begins with a little flip of his cape, then goes into this laughing animation

Taunt 2: Reaches under his hat and pulls up a small item, unseen, that poofs into sparkles as the item sfx plays

Taunt 3: Faces the player to perform his famous head nod as Mallow appears beside him to bounce up and down excitedly, waving his fists

Victory 1: Spins in place as a Star Piece settles into his hands, held high in victory. Mallow stands beside Geno haling the Star Piece with a shocked look on his face.

Victory 2: Performs a cool spinning pose where he flourishes his cape, then ends with one hand outward and the other showing his exposed gun-arm in a threatening manner, similar to many popular fan renders. Mallow stands off to the side behind Geno, shadowboxing with a tough look on his face.

Victory 3: Geno turns to the camera and performs his victory nod. Mallow leaps up behind him giving double V-signs and cheering.

Victory Fanfare: What else could it be? (does not continue to play like Cloud's; it has a clear ending before going into the normal bg music for other characters)

Special Animation 1: When Geno is KO'd normally in a Stamina battle, he will wobble in place and then faceplant into the ground -- just like KO animation in Super Mario RPG

Special Animation 2: When Geno reappears on the revival platform, we see a quick animation of the true star form of Geno settling into the toy-sized doll and causing it to grow to "life-size" and stand up

Special Animation 3: If Geno is in a Team Battle with any other cast member from Super Mario RPG (Mario, Peach or Bowser), a special victory animation may play where Geno's star leaves the doll body and twinkles off screen as the other character(s) look up in awe.

Some combo of these (by ZaneTheDragon on Deviantart) and/or these (by PJiggles over on Twitter)

• Jab: Simple punch
  • Gentleman: Punch, opposite punch, cape swipe
  • Rapid Combo: Fingershot (Finisher: Elbow cannon)
  • Ftilt: Cape swipe (Timed hit: Finger shot)
  • Utilt: Overhead cape swipe (Timed hit: Explosive fist at end of overhead swipe)
  • Dtilt: Low cape swipe (Timed hit: Cape spin)
  • Dash: Elbow thrust (Timed hit: Elbow explosion)
  • FSmash: Double Punch w/ rocket fists as extended hitbox that gets longer w/ charge (Timed hit: Fists explode)
  • USmash: multishot Star Cannon directly overhead (Timed Hit: One last burst of stars)
  • DSmash: Geno Blast w/ more charge = more light beams, hits enemies down and excellent at spiking over ledge (Timed Hit: One more quick beam)
  • Nair: Full body cape twirl similar to Kirby's Nair, sorta
  • Fair: Elbow Cannon where Geno leans into his elbow, thrusts it forward and it explodes (Timed Hit: Double burst)
  • Bair: Triple spread shot Star Cannon (Timed Hit: Shoots more stars)
  • Uair: Arm Cannon overhead rapid shot similar to Mii Gunner (Timed Hit: Longer frames)
  • Dair: Rocket punch downward for meteor ala Hard Knuckle (Timed Hit: Explodes)
  • Grab: Arms sort of disjoint to extend grab distance
  • Pummel: Headbutt
  • Fthrow: Overhead toss similar to Hurly Gloves when Bowser grabs Mario
  • Bthrow: Spins opponent around by their feet and does a full 360 spin before letting go
  • Uthrow: Flips up into air, then sends rocket fists into the opponent to carry them upward before exploding
  • Dthrow: Judo throws opponent into floor and then pops up to shoot them multiple times with arm cannon

• Neutral: Geno Beam - Same as everywhere else, nothing fancy. Charges up to 3 stars max. Beam is long and wide, increasing with charge, and fires just a tad slower than ROB's Laser but has roughly the same travel speed, "girth," and power. The Beam can be angled at 45 or shot straight up, and in the air it can be angled downward 45 or straight down. Huge lag at end of attack makes Geno vulnerable, but it has a very forgiving hitbox that lasts a while.
  • Side: Geno Whirl - Shoots a lightning-fast disc of light that slices through opponents for light damage and flinch. The disc can be angled but will fly in a straight line once tossed. If a Timed Hit is nailed perfectly this attack will cause a Special Zoom and have knockback equivalent to one of Hero's Critical Hits. The damage will also jump to a whopping 50%. The sweetspot is very small and must hit exactly at the center of the opponent's body, similar to Rest.
  • Up: Geno Boost - Geno powers up and leaps into the air, surrounded by red arrows. This attack deals the most damage and knockback at the start of his ascent and weakens over time. At the end of the jump, Geno will perform a flip to lightly knockback any opponents with minimal damage attached. If a Timed Hit is nailed at the start of this move, Geno will have Super Armor throughout his recovery and the finishing flip will have a bit more "oomph."
  • Down: HP Rain - Mallow appears off the Z-axis and casts HP Rain, causing a small cloud to appear above Geno's head. Geno receives a burst heal of 5% at the start of this move, but will receive 1% healing at a rate of 2%/sec initially so long as he stands inside the cloud's rain. The cloud will remain in place while Geno can move freely, but the speed of its HOT decreases over time before the move eventually ends on its own. Opponents can also receive healing from the rain, but they will anger Mallow and get hit with Thunderbolt or a loosely accurate Snowy if they stay under the cloud too long (or touch the cloud at all, which instantly either electrocutes or freezes them). To determine if this move is ready, it has a small cooldown icon above Geno's HUD that shows a FP meter filling up a small cloud icon slowly. The cooldown is roughly 20s, while the move itself lasts for about 5s.
Geno Flash: Geno flips back his cape and points out his gun arm ready to fire as Mallow appears in front of Geno. Mallow will crash his cymbals directly in front of them and, if they connect with a foe, the Final Smash will play out on stage (no cinematic) as the opponent is stunned in place. Within an instant, Geno lets loose a wide barrage of Geno Blast beams that can catch multiple opponents on stage (not just the one initially trapped) as Mallow casts a loosely accurate Star Rain on top of the beams. This is followed up with Mallow then casting Shocker on the trapped opponent directly as Geno leaps back, transforms into a cannon, and then uses Geno Flash to unleash a Smart Bomb-like explosion onto the stage. The Final Smash ends with Geno reappearing and nodding while Mallow throws up a v-sign and then disappears.

Thoughts? Hate? Sorry to crud up the thread with this stuff, but I had my "eureka!" moment this evening and had to share it
Pretty good overall, though I'm not very keen on the Up-Special and Down-Special. I kind of don't like it when, in people's moveset concepts, they suggest that a buffing move like Geno Boost should become like a literal boost in the air for his Up-Special. It's such a lazy cop-out, as if they simply cannot come up with anything better to use for his Up-Special.

To wit, I know of at least 4 different ideas for his recovery that would be infinitely better than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole:
  • Geno's star form flies out of his body a la PK Thunder, and when it makes contact with the ground, an opponent, or when the special button is pressed again, the puppet body rushes over to the star and recombines with it.
  • Geno apparates a flower underneath himself to jump off of.
  • Geno fires Geno Blast in the air to propel himself upwards.
  • Geno turns into a cannon and fires himself upwards.
And it becomes arguably worse when we look at what you've chosen for his Down-Special: So not only have you suggested to turn his buffing move into a literal boost move, but you've also decided to take someone else's buffing move and make it his Down-Special. What sense does that make? Might as well just make Geno Boost his Down-Special if that's the case. Like I get it, you wanted to incorporate Mallow into his moveset in some way, but this? Yeah, really not feeling it.

I replayed Undertale and SMRPG a while ago, when this happened
View attachment 282029
View attachment 282030
Is this normal?
Yeah, pretty normal. Speaking of, have you found the hidden baseball minigame yet?

I'm surprised how many of you don't like the idea of Mallow being a part of Geno's moveset! For a long time I never thought about him being included, but the other day it just clicked and I think it is the most Sakurai thing he could do. We got four different versions of Hero + Slime, Joker has a Morgana taunt, the other DLC characters have a ton of stage cameos... I would 100% put money down, right now, that Mallow will be a part of Geno's moveset or stage. He's not coming as an assist or his own character. It is the most Sakurai thing to do. And I will stand by that until I'm proven wrong when Geno is released 😂
I'm not against the idea of incorporating Mallow into Geno's moveset in some way, it's just that the was you suggested is, no offense, kind of dumb. Making Geno's Down-Special utilize Mallow's healing spell whilst making Geno's own unique buffing move into a recovery move, rather than just using Geno's buffing move for it's intended purpose and coming up with something else for his Up-Special and finding another way to incorporate Mallow, is just plain baffling to me in terms of design.

A better way to incorporate Mallow into Geno's moveset would be to make him part of his grabs. Mallow's stretchy arms would be perfect as both a long-ranged grab, but also as a Tether Recovery. Hell, you could even have him pop in and out from underneath Geno's hat in order to avoid having him pop in and out of existence a la Peach and Daisy's Toads.

Agreed.

PS - Can someone help me put a Geno hat on my new profile pic?
IcewolffGeno3.png

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
NateTheHate and Jeff Grub now think there should be a full General Direct this month. See their podcast of today.

View attachment 282043

-Two Directs for August

Yeah I think both the Directs being next week is definitely possible.
Are you sure that post was before the "some got it right"?
I made a list of all the guesses a while ago
1. Another Short partner Direct is happening (4-5) soon (explicitly 2-3)
2. it refers to a second Twitter drop announcement ala PM:TOK (2)
3. Two directs in August(4). Partners first half, general second half (explicitly 1)
4. mini direct in august same date as july. (1)
5. Monday partners (2(-3?))
6. 2 breaks in August before the main event (2)
7. Partner Mini Direct on Monday and General on Thursday (1)
All of them are now deconfirmed except 2 Directs in August which has been further confirmed/hinted at. It's obvious his comment referred to that. Thinking it might point to Monday and Thursday is really stretching.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , what are the chances that Paragon had outdated info about Waluigi being in Season Pass 1 just like how the Gematsu leaker had outdated info about Chrom and the Chorus Kids being in Smash 4 alongside Little Mac, Gen 6 Pokemon/Greninja, Miis, Palutena, Pac-Man, and Shulk? I think it's very possible Waluigi was intended to be in FP1 when it was one and done before they thought about FP2 and greenlited it. Waluigi I think got pushed back for FP2 or as a bonus character like you have been theorizing.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , what are the chances that Paragon had outdated info about Waluigi being in Season Pass 1 just like how the Gematsu leaker had outdated info about Chrom and the Chorus Kids being in Smash 4 alongside Little Mac, Gen 6 Pokemon/Greninja, Miis, Palutena, Pac-Man, and Shulk? I think it's very possible Waluigi was intended to be in FP1 when it was one and done before they thought about FP2 and greenlited it. Waluigi I think got pushed back for FP2 or as a bonus character like you have been theorizing.
A character in Smash takes over 6 months to make. It's not outdated information, it's just wrong.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A character in Smash takes over 6 months to make. It's not outdated information, it's just wrong.
That's not the point. I'm saying the Gematsu leak was right about Chrom and the Chorus Kids being intended for Smash 4 as Sakurai said he was going to put Chrom in before he went with Robin and a possible Rhythm Heaven stock icon found in the game's files. I think if the Gematsu leaker had outdated information than so could Paragon about Waluigi being in FP1.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My thoughts on it are that Sakurai has several characters he's always had in mind for DLC for Ultimate and that they were repeatedly pushed back for one reason or another. Like I keep saying, I really strongly believe Waluigi, Geno, and Lloyd are three of them based on the info that's been out there but other characters were prioritized, probably for marketing and business strategy reasons from Nintendo's pressed suits.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
That's not the point. I'm saying the Gematsu leak was right about Chrom and the Chorus Kids being intended for Smash 4 as Sakurai said he was going to put Chrom in before he went with Robin and a possible Rhythm Heaven stock icon found in the game's files. I think if the Gematsu leaker had outdated information than so could Paragon about Waluigi being in FP1.
I'll put it this way. Since a dlc character in Ultimate takes around 6 months to make (Byleth would have got development started after Hero was released, July 2019 to January 2020 is around 6 months) would mean that if Waluigi would have been part of fp1, he would have been fighter 5 because Terry's release is too close to Banjo's release. Sakurai said in Byleth's presentation that he got an early copy of 3 Houses to make Byleth work in Smash. This makes the maths for Byleth add up, but the math for "Waluigi was fighter 5 but was pushed back" not work.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As someone who has talked with Paragon and has even read the original messages, Waluigi was never 5. The information Paragon got in the spring of 2019 was that "Waluigi would be last(?)." Yes, it was ambiguous and even the source didn't totally understand the information. Paragon interpreted this as meaning Waluigi was pack 5. I interpreted it as Waluigi being pack 6 or a post Fighter's Pass bonus. This is why Waluigi has been such a pain in the ass. This source pretty much correctly told Paragon everything Smash at E3 2019 but didn't totally understand his own Waluigi Intel. This is part of why I haven't dropped Waluigi from my own predictions.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
As someone who has talked with Paragon and has even read the original messages, Waluigi was never 5. The information Paragon got in the spring of 2019 was that "Waluigi would be last(?)." Yes, it was ambiguous and even the source didn't totally understand the information. Paragon interpreted this as meaning Waluigi was pack 5. I interpreted it as Waluigi being pack 6 or a post Fighter's Pass bonus. This is why Waluigi has been such a pain in the ass. This source pretty much correctly told Paragon everything Smash at E3 2019 but didn't totally understand his own Waluigi Intel. This is part of why I haven't dropped Waluigi from my own predictions.
The Waluigi case was way too weird. They knew about Hero being a Bowser Jr Styled character and they knew that Luminary, Erdrick and Eight will be in. They also knew that originally Hero was going to be announced in the Tourney. Something could fit with Khan's words. It would make sense announce Hero the 8th, announce he will be lauched on the 11th and BOOM announce Banjo). They knew that the Banjo trailer would be a sequel to K Rool trailer but changing Dedede with Duck Hunt. They literally heard the Megalovania remix so that's the reason why they know something UT related would happen. Something will end happening with WAH GUY

MattX20

Smash Hero
Waluigi being a bonus fighter would make more sense than as a Fighter Pass one. Music tracks, a stage, and spirits specifically related to Waluigi would be pretty difficult to come up with compared to Geno who has everything laid out

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Maybe I'm being super controversial for this thread, which I'm starting to realize, but I again very strongly feel that for Geno and Mario RPG to be completely and well represented you need Mallow as part of Geno's moveset and you need a Bowser's Castle level.
Hey man I’ll die on that star hill with you, I’m a fan of the Mallow incorporation in Geno’s moveset. I don’t want Mallow to be on screen at all times ( Enigma735 Enigma735 alluded to the Ice Climbers thing and I agree, that’d be a little weird), but I’m all for Mallow appearing for a handful of Geno’s attacks to help out.

I mean, hell the way I see it, using Mallow as a part of Geno’s moveset actually goes beyond just representing Super Mario RPG, and it would actually represent the Mario RPG spinoffs as a whole.

If this sounds insane I don’t blame you, but I think Mallow assisting Geno for a couple of attacks could be a callback to how partners worked in the Paper Mario series, and how Mario and Luigi fought together in the Mario & Luigi series.

At the end of the day though this is all subjective, and I’m not expecting anything to happen. If Geno gets a whole moveset for himself I’ll still be just as happy. Super Mario RPG coming back in the modern day in any form would be enough to elicit many manly tears and, uh, gross sobbing.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Now I'm frustrated with two companies. Firstly, another day, another lack of news.

Secondly (just gotta rant for a sec), Netflix wanted to make a live action Avatar The Last Airbender series and the original creators were on board making it, but Netflix basically told them "no, even though you've both helmed the original series, you're wrong because you're not doing it our way" and gave them no choice but to drop themselves from the project. Can't wait for another ****ty Avatar live action adaptation.

2020 really blows sometimes. Hoping for more Nintendo news soon, I need my star doll now please.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Secondly (just gotta rant for a sec), Netflix wanted to make a live action Avatar The Last Airbender series and the original creators were on board making it, but Netflix basically told them "no, even though you've both helmed the original series, you're wrong because you're not doing it our way" and gave them no choice but to drop themselves from the project. Can't wait for another ****ty Avatar live action adaptation.

2020 really blows sometimes. Hoping for more Nintendo news soon, I need my star doll now please.
The live action Avatar series is going to be **** regardless of whether or not Bryke are on board. Most all live action adaptations are.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, quick question.

I don't really partake in threads that aren't this one, and we just had a power outage for like 3 days on top of not being able to go upstairs for about 5 days before that happened with less than a day in between.

How pissed would the mods be if I dropped into the RTC and talking about Geno in Sora even though it's way late as long as I explain why I'm so far behind?

Is it okay as long as I talk about the other characters too?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The live action Avatar series is going to be **** regardless of whether or not Bryke are on board. Most all live action adaptations are.
Pretty much. Hell im gonna be blunt and say MOST Netflix adaptations, period, suck ass.

The Saint Seiya one isn't terrible but it's so soulless, the Voltron one actually seemed good but then fell into worse and worse writing because of ****ty writing, and before you say it, no i don't like Netflix's Castlevania show, i despise it with a ****ing passion.

When it comes to live action in general, even the Sonic and Pokémon are an exception to the norm, because the best things about those live action movies are the animated CGI characters.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Hey guys, quick question.

I don't really partake in threads that aren't this one, and we just had a power outage for like 3 days on top of not being able to go upstairs for about 5 days before that happened with less than a day in between.

How pissed would the mods be if I dropped into the RTC and talking about Geno in Sora even though it's way late as long as I explain why I'm so far behind?

Is it okay as long as I talk about the other characters too?
It probably wouldn't be taken well at all, people have moved past those characters and the general conclusion has been (outside of certain people in those specific fanbases) is that they both have a meh or "possible enough" chance to get in; and that they aren't hard locks or anything. Unless you have a really good argument for both their chances that haven't really been discussed before and doesn't boil down to "Sora's Disney so he practically has no chance" and "Geno has been requested for a longtime and Sakurai acknowledged that, so he's pretty much in/super duper likely". It'll probably just be taking at fanbase warring for no reason, which'll probably result in a couple people coming here and telling the Geno thread to stop starting "****" especially when there really isn't a reason to right now. The Sora/Geno debate get especially toxic even on the RTC thread because 90% of the time, both sides have 0 clue on the other character; and just make up random detractions like "Geno is a literal who" or "Sora would have 0 moveset potential and be another generic swordfighter", the biases become pretty obvious in there.

So unless you want to talk about Neku or Agnes's chances, I would say it's probably better to leave the Sora/Geno chances discussion outside of the RTC thread.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think Mallow's gonna be in... As a mii hat and a stage background object, and probably not even all the time. Nothing about the DLC characters has represented every aspect of their home game/franchise, and suggesting Mallow to be a part of Geno's moveset is like saying Terry should have had some of Geese's moves because come on, Geese is the big bad, you can't have Fatal Fury without Geese Howard! And I sure do love how Min Min came with a dozen different fists...

I'm not gonna harp too long on that, it's just my feelings on the matter. Geno has moves galore and this might be harsh, but I feel like Mallow would actively detract from Geno as a character. Sakurai said Geno would be a perfect fit, he didn't say Geno and Mallow would be a perfect fit. I do agree with you as far as the stage goes, I don't think it'll be Forest Maze, at least not alone. I stand by a world tour stage with stops in iconic locations, like Bowser's Chandeliers, Bowyer's stump, King Calamari room, Nimbus Land, Exor's Turret, Final Factory, maybe even with stage hazards (as much as I hate the idea). For the sake of being a contrarian though, I don't agree on the stage reasoning, just the stage itself.
You're not wrong on much of that. There's evidence to support he would just be Geno with the bare minimum, I mean look at Banjo. But I just can't over the idea that Geno may be packing a punch if and when he shows up. Sakurai likes his little "video game history lessons." He may try to cram as much SMRPG into Geno's pack as possible, like he did for SNK.

Pretty good overall, though I'm not very keen on the Up-Special and Down-Special. I kind of don't like it when, in people's moveset concepts, they suggest that a buffing move like Geno Boost should become like a literal boost in the air for his Up-Special. It's such a lazy cop-out, as if they simply cannot come up with anything better to use for his Up-Special.

To wit, I know of at least 4 different ideas for his recovery that would be infinitely better than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole:
  • Geno's star form flies out of his body a la PK Thunder, and when it makes contact with the ground, an opponent, or when the special button is pressed again, the puppet body rushes over to the star and recombines with it.
  • Geno apparates a flower underneath himself to jump off of.
  • Geno fires Geno Blast in the air to propel himself upwards.
  • Geno turns into a cannon and fires himself upwards.
And it becomes arguably worse when we look at what you've chosen for his Down-Special: So not only have you suggested to turn his buffing move into a literal boost move, but you've also decided to take someone else's buffing move and make it his Down-Special. What sense does that make? Might as well just make Geno Boost his Down-Special if that's the case. Like I get it, you wanted to incorporate Mallow into his moveset in some way, but this? Yeah, really not feeling it.

I'm not against the idea of incorporating Mallow into Geno's moveset in some way, it's just that the was you suggested is, no offense, kind of dumb. Making Geno's Down-Special utilize Mallow's healing spell whilst making Geno's own unique buffing move into a recovery move, rather than just using Geno's buffing move for it's intended purpose and coming up with something else for his Up-Special and finding another way to incorporate Mallow, is just plain baffling to me in terms of design.

A better way to incorporate Mallow into Geno's moveset would be to make him part of his grabs. Mallow's stretchy arms would be perfect as both a long-ranged grab, but also as a Tether Recovery. Hell, you could even have him pop in and out from underneath Geno's hat in order to avoid having him pop in and out of existence a la Peach and Daisy's Toads.
So I'll admit the Up Special is not the best and it's one I sat staring at for a bit. I wanted to avoid the two we've already seen in Brawl mods since I don't think they'd really happen. Setting Geno Boost as the Down Special buff would make a lot of sense, but I just really wanted Mallow in there. I can't believe how much you all hate that idea, yeesh. Not the same crowd that used to hang her eons ago I guess.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
...SMRPG 2, but it's just Geno and Bowser falling down a trapdoor into a labyrinth, and they have to put up with each other without any of the other party members for the whole game. Bickering and bonding ensues, and when they finally find the exit and the others, Bowser hugs Geno while crying tears of joy - but then realizes that Mario and Peach are watching and quickly flings Geno off a cliff.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Waluigi being a bonus fighter would make more sense than as a Fighter Pass one. Music tracks, a stage, and spirits specifically related to Waluigi would be pretty difficult to come up with compared to Geno who has everything laid out
I imagine Waluigi would be a rep for Mario crossovers since he was a character created exclusively for that sub-franchise. So he’d bring over any music tracks from Mario Kart, Party & the various sports games.

Stage wise he could bring Smash 4’s Rainbow Road back. Or he could bring a Mario Tennis Stage.

Spirits would be the only hard thing to do since Mario is pretty well covered. Maybe sports versions of the Mario characters?

I’m still unsure about how likely he is though. Perhaps he could be leak bait for Geno?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
...SMRPG 2, but it's just Geno and Bowser falling down a trapdoor into a labyrinth, and they have to put up with each other without any of the other party members for the whole game. Bickering and bonding ensues, and when they finally find the exit and the others, Bowser hugs Geno while crying tears of joy - but then realizes that Mario and Peach are watching and quickly flings Geno off a cliff.
I'd pay an unhealthy amount of money to be able 100% this game 40 times while praying for it to have DLC drop as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom