• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey guys, quick question.

I don't really partake in threads that aren't this one, and we just had a power outage for like 3 days on top of not being able to go upstairs for about 5 days before that happened with less than a day in between.

How pissed would the mods be if I dropped into the RTC and talking about Geno in Sora even though it's way late as long as I explain why I'm so far behind?

Is it okay as long as I talk about the other characters too?
Odds are pretty good that you'd get a spam warning if you did that, considering that Geno and Sora's rating period ended last Saturday. From what I've seen, people tend to get reported pretty quickly if they're talking about characters in the RTC thread that aren't being rated. You could try running it by TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom , who runs the thread.

You could also try posting whatever you had in mind in the general social thread if you don't want to post in the Newcomer Speculation thread, or you could post your thoughts here (or in the Sora thread, though that depends on what the post involves; going into the Sora thread to say that he's not likely seems like it would end about as well as going into this thread and saying Geno's not likely).

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not expecting bonuses, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we do get bonus fighters. Sakurai always goes the extra mile. I do think Sakurai considers CP11 to be the last fighter for now, but I think a lot can change by December 2021. No one ever really knows what the madman has planned. If Sakurai wants bonus fighters, he WILL add bonus fighters.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi being a bonus fighter would make more sense than as a Fighter Pass one. Music tracks, a stage, and spirits specifically related to Waluigi would be pretty difficult to come up with compared to Geno who has everything laid out
We already went over this, you can literally put any character in a Fighter Pack with their own music, stage, and spirits.

The problem with Waluigi isn't content, but rather context.
The Mario series has plenty of unrepresented locales, tracks, spirits.

I imagine Waluigi would be a rep for Mario crossovers since he was a character created exclusively for that sub-franchise. So he’d bring over any music tracks from Mario Kart, Party & the various sports games.

Stage wise he could bring Smash 4’s Rainbow Road back. Or he could bring a Mario Tennis Stage.

Spirits would be the only hard thing to do since Mario is pretty well covered. Maybe sports versions of the Mario characters?

I’m still unsure about how likely he is though. Perhaps he could be leak bait for Geno?
Waluigi would be a poor choice for leak bait, pretty much everyone already (his fans included) doubt he has any chance of being promoted to begin with.

They could've easily made stage builder payed DLC.

Oh and "Small Battlefield" says hi btw.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Did you guys know that Super Mario RPG was supposed to have a sixth party member?

For now, I think it's best to focus on the 5 remaining fighters we are promised that are being worked on right now. FP7 and I hope FP8 will be both revealed and released before this year is over
At the very least, I expect both Fighters 7 and 8 to be revealed before the end of the year. As for their releases, Fighter 7 is likely in September due to the amiibo wave, while Fighter 8 may or may not be a 2021 release.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I just rewatch the Mr. Sakurai presents Banjo and Kazooie because I didn't have that much to do and I remember how well made the Spiral Mountain is, all the Banjo's house with the live and the Bucket can, the Honey Pieces in the trees, Tooty, Grunty, Mumbo Jumbo, Bottles or the Buzzbombs. All feel like taked from the N64, can you imagine how awesome that could look in Geno's stage?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm stuck at this weird impass when it comes to bonus content since I do genuinely think there is SOMETHING coming outside of the Pass but still firmly believe we aren't getting more than these last 6 characters, Sakurai and Nintendo are really seeming to push forward this idea that these last 6 are it, then he's done with Smash after a decade of doing nothing but it. These ARE the bonus characters. On the other hand, the changes to the stage select screen, not just small Battlefield but them randomly deciding to make random FD and BF their own icons for now reason really makes me think they ARE going to fill the entire screen, but what those three extra slots will even be is completely up in the air. It doesn't help we've had basically no substantial smash news for 4 1/2 months since we heard about the ARMS character. Something just feels really weird about all of this but there's no way to figure out what it actually is until we have more news to go off of.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I just rewatch the Mr. Sakurai presents Banjo and Kazooie because I didn't have that much to do and I remember how well made the Spiral Mountain is, all the Banjo's house with the live and the Bucket can, the Honey Pieces in the trees, Tooty, Grunty, Mumbo Jumbo, Bottles or the Buzzbombs. All feel like taked from the N64, can you imagine how awesome that could look in Geno's stage?
I've always wanted to see what Tootie and Buzzbomb would look in a stage taking cues from SMRPG I just had to but obligatory pac

QQS

Smash Lord
879E39E6-E3AC-4D57-804D-B60D478EBB2A.jpeg

This used to be my favorite fan art during the Wii U speculation days. Please note that I’m online in Smash Speculation since one year ago, August 2019, essentially just created QQS for the Ultimate chance of Geno, which as you know is a 100% for me. But of course I’m rooting for Geno since I met him in 1996 with 6 years old and since I fell in love with Smash in 1999 with my friends and brother.

Well, said that. It’s amazing how many of that pic are playable now. Mega Man was my most wanted ever in my life, and he is already IN. My other most wanted was always Geno, and now that Mega Man is already in, Geno it’s the #1 ever. I can’t deal with a No Playable Geno in this Smash, but given all the evidence I think he is happening playable now. Though I admit Smash Ultímate is perfect already in Base Roster: everyone’s here, the mechanics, the graphics, etc. ButI know the team will be keep surprising us with our Demand/Requests like Ridley, KKR, Banjo-Kazooie and with their perfect deals like Joker, Crash and Dante. Though I also like other characters after Mega Man and Geno like: Skull Kid, Zero and Knuckles/Tails, but I can live without them and accept it. But I can’t tolerate no Geno playable now. And I know I won’t be disappointed: missing costume, the songs, Min Min upgrade, Sakurai words on him, 2 decades of demand, big polls with Geno top on them, perfect moveset, good retro and beloved character, perfect design, icon on the bridges built between Square and Nintendo in that era, icon on the SNES and like the Boss said: “not just recognizable, fun to play”. Geno will be so unique to play and also a great addition, being the FIRST third-party coming from a FIRST party world. Geno is amazing, Geno is life. Also, if I were Nintendo & Square, based on all our voices and the web, Geno would be so much easy money for the companies involved.

GENO AWAKENS!
GENO ALIGNS INTO SMASH!
GENO JOINS THE ULTIMATE PARTY!

Please credits to the artist on photo.

Best wishes from Chile :)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So it might be worth listening to Spawn Waves podcast this week. Jeff Grubb (the guy that predicted the march direct) is going to be on
Also, Spawn Wave pretty much unsubtly hinted towards a general after an indie. He mentions it when he talks about the "Stay cool Mario pic which starts 9:15

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
So it might be worth listening to Spawn Waves podcast this week. Jeff Grubb (the guy that predicted the march direct) is going to be on
Also, Spawn Wave pretty much unsubtly hinted towards a general after an indie. He mentions it when he talks about the "Stay cool Mario pic which starts 9:15
Grub already also appeared at NateTheHate's podcast, I haven't listened to it but apparently both of them think there's a (full) General Direct this month after the Indie. (I think they mention Golden Sun on Switch too)

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Grub already also appeared at NateTheHate's podcast, I haven't listened to it but apparently both of them think there's a (full) General Direct this month after the Indie. (I think they mention Golden Sun on Switch too)
I watched the whole thing, Nate was asked if he expects a Camelot game in 2020 or what game he expects and he said that its too late for them now and 2021 made more sense and speculating Mario Golf next or even a "Golden Sun tier project". By the general gist of what he said it sounds like he has no idea what they're doing.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My own balance of optimism and cynicism still has me thinking an indie and/or partner direct this month with a general direct happening in September. Nintendo finally getting back a full fledged general presentation after a full year fulls pretty on brand for them these days.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
View attachment 282104

This used to be my favorite fan art during the Wii U speculation days. Please note that I’m online in Smash Speculation since one year ago, August 2019, essentially just created QQS for the Ultimate chance of Geno, which as you know is a 100% for me. But of course I’m rooting for Geno since I met him in 1996 with 6 years old and since I fell in love with Smash in 1999 with my friends and brother.

Well, said that. It’s amazing how many of that pic are playable now. Mega Man was my most wanted ever in my life, and he is already IN. My other most wanted was always Geno, and now that Mega Man is already in, Geno it’s the #1 ever. I can’t deal with a No Playable Geno in this Smash, but given all the evidence I think he is happening playable now. Though I admit Smash Ultímate is perfect already in Base Roster: everyone’s here, the mechanics, the graphics, etc. ButI know the team will be keep surprising us with our Demand/Requests like Ridley, KKR, Banjo-Kazooie and with their perfect deals like Joker, Crash and Dante. Though I also like other characters after Mega Man and Geno like: Skull Kid, Zero and Knuckles/Tails, but I can live without them and accept it. But I can’t tolerate no Geno playable now. And I know I won’t be disappointed: missing costume, the songs, Min Min upgrade, Sakurai words on him, 2 decades of demand, big polls with Geno top on them, perfect moveset, good retro and beloved character, perfect design, icon on the bridges built between Square and Nintendo in that era, icon on the SNES and like the Boss said: “not just recognizable, fun to play”. Geno will be so unique to play and also a great addition, being the FIRST third-party coming from a FIRST party world. Geno is amazing, Geno is life. Also, if I were Nintendo & Square, based on all our voices and the web, Geno would be so much easy money for the companies involved.

GENO AWAKENS!
GENO ALIGNS INTO SMASH!
GENO JOINS THE ULTIMATE PARTY!

Please credits to the artist on photo.

Best wishes from Chile :)
I don't know why, but I always loved the thought of Smash newcomers getting included as part of an audition. I can just imagine the original six sitting here for every new Smash game auditioning to see who they will fight next, as well as dealing with stupid suggestions for characters like Goku, Shrek, SpongeBob, and Cory Baxter ect.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I watched the whole thing, Nate was asked if he expects a Camelot game in 2020 or what game he expects and he said that its too late for them now and 2021 made more sense and speculating Mario Golf next or even a "Golden Sun tier project". By the general gist of what he said it sounds like he has no idea what they're doing.
Please be both :p

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So the latest is that we're looking at next week's August 17th (next day after the Obon holiday wraps up in Japan) for a potential Partner Showcase Direct Mini, and/or August 20th for a potential full-fledged general Nintendo Direct (by then it'll be less than a month away from the Super Mario 35th Anniversary in September 13th). Both seem like promising dates but so far, all we can do is wait (yet AGAIN) if anything pans out. Imo, Challenger Pack 7 should be ready; most likely on standby to be revealed in a potential upcoming Direct (we're getting rather close to just getting two out of six challenger packs throughout a full year).

Genome

Smash Cadet
'Bonus', as most people are using it, doesn't mean 'free', it just means 'not listed as a part of the Fighters Pass', like Piranha Plant.
They could've easily made stage builder payed DLC.

Oh and "Small Battlefield" says hi btw.
I guess I'll respond since I actually have an opinion on 'bonus fighters' in Smash Ultimate.
Now the problem with using Piranha Plant as an example of a bonus fighter 'precedent' is that the character was free for months after release and was placed right before fp1. So if we were to get a bonus fighter for fp2, it would have been released in the hefty 5-month gap between Byleth and Min Min's release. In terms of pricing, I suppose it would be free for a limited time for buyers of fp2...making fp2 a 7 unique character pass...

Perhaps that wasn't too unlikely back then but now, with f7 yet to be revealed and the possibility of 2021 having the entire rest of the pass looming closer, I seriously doubt that a whole new character (or even an echo) is going to be squeezed into the schedule. Don't even get me started on the idea that MULTIPLE bonus characters are happening.

And as for the stage builder argument, I mean...okay? There's a difference between returning features and characters. Namely that the latter doesn't feel like a 'bonus' it feels like the completion of a game that was missing certain elements at launch (by that logic captain falcon and falco being fixed in update 8.0 is a 'bonus' because the characters were incomplete at launch). And if stage builder was paid dlc, the backlash would have been pretty substantial (like online but perhaps even more fierce).

Small battlefield is even more so the case. Sure, unlike SB it's 'original,' (never before in a smash game) but it's literally battlefield with the top platform removed. Are we really comparing an original character with unique normals and specials (which p-plant was, seen by how even dlc chars like banjo copied moves) to an intern's 10 minute distraction? People would be straight bullying Nintendo if they tried to sell bald battlefield to us for $5.

This is not a 'hype check' btw. I wrote this for fun and to express my own thoughts. You can think that we're getting a triple reveal of Geno, Master Chief, and Sora on August 17th with Waluigi and Dixie King bonus packs included. I think not. It is what it is.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, I've given up hope for a summer Direct. I'd love to be wrong, but unfortunately we have been sitting here thinking a Direct is coming every week since June. We are now in mid-August and we still have nothing. I am inclined to believe that the pandemic has been screwing Nintendo over in terms of Directs and I wouldn't be surprised if we really are gonna be sitting here waiting for one for quite some time.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, I've given up hope for a summer Direct. I'd love to be wrong, but unfortunately we have been sitting here thinking a Direct is coming every week since June. We are now in mid-August and we still have nothing. I am inclined to believe that the pandemic has been screwing Nintendo over in terms of Directs and I wouldn't be surprised if we really are gonna be sitting here waiting for one for quite some time.
That's why I'm increasingly inclined to believe that the really significant presentation is happening in next month. Doing it then would essentially (hopefully) reset the clock of general directs back the usual schedule (March/June/September) and still allows enough time for hype to build towards various holiday titles, And its not necessarily too late given that the two big shadow drops have been for games coming out two months after their reveal (Origami King, Pikmin 3). A big Direct then to reveal titles coming out in November and December? It doesn't sound all that out there.

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Another reason why Super Mario RPG stood out, the character designs. You had a slew of original and creative enemies that not only melded with Mario's world, but also felt alien, in a good way. You even had a few familiar designs with Booster being an offshoot of Wario and a recreation of DKC Donkey Kong as a minor enemy. The visual style really lent itself perfectly to those designs and it remains one of the most unique titles on the SNES library as well as Mario series overall. Both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi took cues from it, and it shows.

You'll never get a game like it again.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If something happens on Monday, there's likely something else in the week. I've noticed Nintendo proactively avoids Mondays for presentations unless they intend to show something else later in the week. Most presentation days over the years have been Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday because Nintendo tends to give at least one day notice for presentations and tends to avoid weekend announcements unless they're specifically in a weekend event like EVO.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
If something happens on Monday, there's likely something else in the week. I've noticed Nintendo proactively avoids Mondays for presentations unless they intend to show something else later in the week. Most presentation days over the years have been Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday because Nintendo tends to give at least one day notice for presentations and tends to avoid weekend announcements unless they're specifically in a weekend event like EVO.
What about the Partner Showcase, which was on Monday?

This Tweet Stealth posted seemed like something the Geno thread would enjoy.
View attachment 282131
This guy dropped good XP IIRC.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Another reason why Super Mario RPG stood out, the character designs. You had a slew of original and creative enemies that not only melded with Mario's world, but also felt alien, in a good way. You even had a few familiar designs with Booster being an offshoot of Wario and a recreation of DKC Donkey Kong as a minor enemy. The visual style really lent itself perfectly to those designs and it remains one of the most unique titles on the SNES library as well as Mario series overall. Both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi took cues from it, and it shows.

The beauty of it was that the designs rode the line between being visually out there, but still somehow feeling fitting to Mario, especially given how undefined the universe in it was at that point. Mario RPG really broke the door down in allowing the more imaginative enemies of both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi to flourish in the games that followed.

Firox

Smash Master
The beauty of it was that the designs rode the line between being visually out there, but still somehow feeling fitting to Mario, especially given how undefined the universe in it was at that point. Mario RPG really broke the door down in allowing the more imaginative enemies of both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi to flourish in the games that followed.
Then came the oppressively stupid Miyamoto Mario Police that promptly decided to suck any life and creativity from future Mario RPGs....

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

We will,just not from nintendo.

Which is to be expected cause it's a Square game.
Why nintendo has to be so flat in their games, is beyond me.
---
We will see something by the 20th....

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I think the Direct is September. That lines up to Nintendo telling 3rd parties to hold off until September several months ago. Perhaps pushing news months later was always their plan from day 1.

And it can still be soon. September 1st is technically September.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Then came the oppressively stupid Miyamoto Mario Police that promptly decided to suck any life and creativity from future Mario RPGs....
I’m still confused as to why they feel that way; so, to “protect” the brand’s consistency or whatever they’re thinking, they can’t use age/gender and a unique individual of an existing species of characters besides their outfit and dialogue...but it’s okay for Toadette, Odyssey’s girl goomba, sometimes Toadsworth (who originated in a mainline game as Peach’s caretaker/whatever so it’s weird he’s so underused and is sometimes only a cameo if anything), and all the 100% original characters they make to continue to be used as if they somehow don’t also “hurt” consistency...? It makes no sense...

But I guess, as you said, it’s incredibly stupid and ridiculous how they’re being regarding this stuff. It’s like they have big time paranoia, I don’t think even Disney is this restrictive regarding unique characters or using more obscure ones (besides maybe Oswald save for Epic Mickey, assuming anyone actually wants to use him in animations).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of the issue is that with various franchises and sub-franchises there's a belief that while the gameplay can be fully change to match some new idea of fun they have, the brand itself remain safe and approachable in its other elments. Paper Mario is the latest example but there's loads of them.

-Star Fox has retreated from any meaningful progress in its story and characters in favor of new gimmicks no one wanted.
-Donkey Kong had an entire decade where elements and characters from the Rare era were greatly reduced for simplicity while control was supplanted by Bongo Controllers and motion controls.
-Mario Party's more interesting levels and consistent setup eventually fell into the "Everyone in a Car" era at the same time the boards starting getting more generic.
-The Wii U era was rife with spin-offs (Zip Lash, Amiibo Festival, Federation Force, Hey Pikmin) whose gameplay was so different that it turned fans off and that added very little in terms of interesting story or aesthetics to the series they came from. Games that had to have been created with the idea that the brand alone would sell them.

Basically there's a fundamental disagreement between Nintendo and various fans about what are the most critical parts of series that need innovated and experimented with. The same disconnect that could have both groups look at both Paper Mario and New Super Mario Bros and draw opposite conclusions about which series needed changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom