• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Frankly, tiers don't matter to me. It's how fun the character is to play that matters. I found Byleth boring and poorly designed for that purpose, while Min Min was fun to play as, and I imagine Geno will be fun to play, regardless of competitive play

Firox

Smash Master
Frankly, tiers don't matter to me. It's how fun the character is to play that matters. I found Byleth boring and poorly designed for that purpose, while Min Min was fun to play as, and I imagine Geno will be fun to play, regardless of competitive play
Amen to that. I totally agree. Byleth's playstyle just seems bland to me while Min Min plays like a fun fusion of Dhalsim and Pokemon Trainer with the arm switching. I still think it's funny how fast Byleth got power creeped by her. She basically does his entire job better than him, and she came immediately after.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Amen to that. I totally agree. Byleth's playstyle just seems bland to me while Min Min plays like a fun fusion of Dhalsim and Pokemon Trainer with the arm switching. I still think it's funny how fast Byleth got power creeped by her. She basically does his entire job better than him, and she came immediately after.
If you know how to play as Byleth, you can demolish her pretty easily (raises hand as someone that has him as one of his mains) She has no air game what so ever compared to Byleth which is easily to punish

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
As a Mewtwo main, I already know how to handle suffering a low tier. Picking up Geno would most likely be a step up from my current situation lol

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Something I fear if Geno gets in is all the hardcore competitive Smash fans that will say he is trash because he isn't OP. The Smash community REALLY killed my hype for King K. Rool and Banjo by calling them trash and I seriously hope they don't do the same to Geno.
It just means they'll underestimate you. I've done good with 'trash' tier characters because they simply never learned how to play against them because they were 'bad'.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This. I will main Wolf, Ridley, Banjo and Cloud to the end of days and I won't care haha.

Firox

Smash Master
If you know how to play as Byleth, you can demolish her pretty easily (raises hand as someone that has him as one of his mains) She has no air game what so ever compared to Byleth which is easily to punish
To be fair, I think you haven't played many skilled Min Min's because her air game is actually pretty good. Her Nair has more range (and WAY more power with Megawatt), her Up air has great reach and frame data, and if you know how to use her Fair/Bair arms in the air she can completely wall off any character that lacks good mobility or air speed...including Byleth. They have a pretty much identical recovery so that's a wash, but the stretchy grab and gimp/edgeguarding abilities with dragon beam alone give her a massive advantage. I would even say that her dragon beam is faster and more reliable than Byleth's arrows too, especially since you can initiate it while falling to jump the projectile of other characters. Then again, I do realize that the skill of their players is a big factor and it's hard to say where Min Min would fit in a tier list at such an early stage. It just seems at face value that she stole Byleth's "Distance Demon" title pretty handily.

PS: Fun fact I've discovered about Min Min: The best ones realize that she has far more moves than just the 1-2 side punch. If anyone wants to be good with her, try practicing without using ANY Fair, Bair, Smash or Side tilts. She can still do some serious damage with her OoS up smash, Nair, Dash Attack, etc.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be fair, I think you haven't played many skilled Min Min's because her air game is actually pretty good. Her Nair has more range (and WAY more power with Megawatt), her Up air has great reach and frame data, and if you know how to use her Fair/Bair arms in the air she can completely wall off any character that lacks good mobility or air speed...including Byleth. They have a pretty much identical recovery so that's a wash, but the stretchy grab and gimp/edgeguarding abilities with dragon beam alone give her a massive advantage. I would even say that her dragon beam is faster and more reliable than Byleth's arrows too, especially since you can initiate it while falling to jump the projectile of other characters. Then again, I do realize that the skill of their players is a big factor and it's hard to say where Min Min would fit in a tier list at such an early stage. It just seems at face value that she stole Byleth's "Distance Demon" title pretty handily.
I´m on Elite Smash, and the only characters I really have a problem with Byleth is the likes of Sonic, Pikachu, or Inkling. So yes, I have met good Min Mins. And while she has a longer range, Byleth deals way more damage than her in general, with a recovery that is 10 times better. Lord know how many people I´ve spiked out with the hammer while they have been at 0% (yes the hammer can spike that early if you are in the air)

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I've always played characters that I've found fun, regardless whether they're considered good or not. At the end of the day it should come down to you enjoying the character you're playing, and simply liking the character seems as good a reason as any. I also don't think any character is so atrocious that outside of like the Finals of the best players in the world they aren't viable. There might be some tough matchups for certain characters, but I think the player matters more than the character. (As seen by how MK Leo seems to make every character look good.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing I've reassured people of since the Brawl days is that tiers honestly matter less the smaller a venue is. National level? Yeah, chances are you're getting assblasted If you pick K. Rool or Isabelle but local or even regional and you're much more likely to succeed with mid and even low tiers. I was undefeated in my local tournaments in the Smash 4 days and the main characters I played were Wii Fit and Iggy (Bowser Jr). Plus, in my own experience, people respect the hell out of dedicated mains no matter how bad they are.

Firox

Smash Master
I´m on Elite Smash, and the only characters I really have a problem with Byleth is the likes of Sonic, Pikachu, or Inkling. So yes, I have met good Min Mins.
I'm on Elite Smash too, and if you don't have Greninja on your list of Bad Byleth matchups, then you're either MKLeo moonlighting on Smashboards or haven't seen as many legit good players than you think. Granted, good Greninja's are strangely rare, but let me tell you, he eats Byleth alive. He can easily get in and out of Byleth's attack range, outcamp with shuriken and go super deep for edgeguards against that limited tether recovery.

And to be fair, "Good" Min Mins are even rarer since she's so new to begin with. How long have you had to master Byleth?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
My friends, who were good avid players but not into tourneys for Melee, would get so pissed when I won with Link or Samus. They stuck with the usual selection of Sheik, Fox, Falco, Falcon. They found my Link cheap, especially his Up B on the ground. Meanwhile, they wash dashed, I didn't.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm on Elite Smash too, and if you don't have Greninja on your list of Bad Byleth matchups, then you're either MKLeo moonlighting on Smashboards or haven't seen as many legit good players than you think. Granted, good Greninja's are strangely rare, but let me tell you, he eats Byleth alive. He can easily get in and out of Byleth's attack range, outcamp with shuriken and go super deep for edgeguards against that limited tether recovery.

And to be fair, "Good" Min Mins are even rarer since she's so new to begin with. How long have you had to master Byleth?
Define master. Because it took me a day or two on training mode to know the basics to get the grasp of him and I got progressively better to the point that I argue if I should change the icon with to him instead of Zelda. The characters I play with are sort of "zooners" (Piranha Plant, Zelda, Byleth) so he were rather easy to learn for me. I only meet one good Greninja online tbh, and I won 2/3, although, in that guy's defense, he accidentally did a miss input. Had he not, it would have been 2/3 for him.

Edit - I personally just find it rather annoying that I see constantly "Byleth is the worst" (because he is from Fire Emblem most likely) when he is far from it. Not that you claim it particular, but you get what I mean

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I've played competitive Smash for pretty much my whole life. It's obviously no lie that some characters are going to struggle more than others. But the idea that you are going to get chastised for playing your favorite character is really stupid. I stuck with Wario and all the issues he came with in Brawl and I stuck with Mega Man even in the most lopsided scenarios. At this point, the game has so many different match ups and the gap between good and "bad" characters is only becoming more and more narrow. It shouldn't matter how others see your character. The meta will eventually develop and no matter how you decide to play Smash, the last thing that should be on our minds is how Geno will do in the meta. I mean hell, we don't even know if we are even getting Geno at all and yet we are talking about how he would do in the meta.

Just relax and just remember no matter how good or bad he turns out to be, it will all be worth it.

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, I just got through playing a 5 Stock No Items against three lv 9 CPUs (it was an 'Every Link' battle with a duplicate BoTW to represent FD sorry Dark Link) and I'm really hoping I get to do it with Geno soon. I had Stage Morph on between Jungle Japes and Gerudo Valley, and whenever Gangplank Galleon came back on I just got this adrenaline rush and started fighting harder. I can only imagine how I'd feel playing as Geno and the Fight Against an Armed Boss theme song power-up kicks in.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The detractors and gatekeepers will just move onto how Geno stands in competitive play and be overly critical of him so they can push 'I told you so' and say how Geno should never have been added, like what they did with Banjo.

Basically, detractors just hate a character and simply move onto excuse after excuse to justify their dislike.

Firox

Smash Master
Define master. Because it took me a day or two on training mode to know the basics to get the grasp of him and I got progressively better to the point that I argue if I should change the icon with to him instead of Zelda. The characters I play with are sort of "zooners" (Piranha Plant, Zelda, Byleth) so he were rather easy to learn for me. I only meet one good Greninja online tbh, and I won 2/3, although, in that guy's defense, he accidentally did a miss input. Had he not, it would have been 2/3 for him.

Edit - I personally just find it rather annoying that I see constantly "Byleth is the worst" (because he is from Fire Emblem most likely) when he is far from it. Not that you claim it particular, but you get what I mean
I understand. I'm not saying that Byleth is bad in any way. I'm just saying that he was best known for his length advantage over the rest of cast and that I felt that Min Min kind of took that from him. That's not to say that he doesn't have his own strengths, and in his defense, I do admit that he's easier to play than Min Min. Much more straight forward. I guess she's just more polarizing as far as playstyle is concerned.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I understand. I'm not saying that Byleth is bad in any way. I'm just saying that he was best known for his length advantage over the rest of cast and that I felt that Min Min kind of took that from him. That's not to say that he doesn't have his own strengths, and in his defense, I do admit that he's easier to play than Min Min. Much more straight forward. I guess she's just more polarizing as far as playstyle is concerned.
While I´m glad that we finally have someone that covers the weapon triangle, I still think it would have been more interesting if Byleth were a Pokemon trainer styled character.

D

Deleted member

Funny thing about that is, Byleth doesn't even really have a length advantage. Areadbhar as the side special has a lot of reach because Byleth physically moves forward when using it, but when it's used as an fsmash or an aerial, it gets outreached by Belmonts and probably Shulk and Corrin as well. Byleth has very little that makes him stand out as a character, aside from using a bow as a melee weapon. People like to say "he uses four different weapons so that's a unique gimmick", but... not really? It's purely visual,

All of that said, I actually warmed up to Byleth's moveset long before I warmed up to the reality of Byleth. I appreciate the precise and patient style and he has some sauce.

Firox

Smash Master
While I´m glad that we finally have someone that covers the weapon triangle, I still think it would have been more interesting if Byleth were a Pokemon trainer styled character.
Yeah, I think Byleth would have been WAY funner and more interesting if you could actually change weapons and have a full moveset for each. Granted, that would be a **** ton of work of the dev team, but it would have been awesome to have a non-PT character with 3 or 4 different movesets inside him.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Tiers don't matter. Just play whoever you like to play as.

Even if Geno ends up being a "bad" character, you still get to play as Geno.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Funny thing about that is, Byleth doesn't even really have a length advantage. Areadbhar as the side special has a lot of reach because Byleth physically moves forward when using it, but when it's used as an fsmash or an aerial, it gets outreached by Belmonts and probably Shulk and Corrin as well. Byleth has very little that makes him stand out as a character, aside from using a bow as a melee weapon. People like to say "he uses four different weapons so that's a unique gimmick", but... not really? It's purely visual,

All of that said, I actually warmed up to Byleth's moveset long before I warmed up to the reality of Byleth. I appreciate the precise and patient style and he has some sauce.
Their moveset is fun and I like the VAs energy in attacks.

I've seen the idea hete and elsewhere over the last few months of wanting a Pokemon Trainer style character for 3 Houses instead of Byleth, but if it followed how PT works, then that's technically 3 new characters. I think the Smash fanbase would be out for blood with that addition as that would have made FE THE biggest series pool on the roster. That would have not gone over at ALL.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Does anyone think that Nintendo has something planned for this month but might actually push it back due to allegations and things that have happened over the last week.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
If Geno ends up low tier, that would honestly just make him impressive to win with. I think there's more skill involved with winning with "low tiers" compared to "super meta everyone picks these" characters.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think Byleth would have been WAY funner and more interesting if you could actually change weapons and have a full moveset for each. Granted, that would be a **** ton of work of the dev team, but it would have been awesome to have a non-PT character with 3 or 4 different movesets inside him.
Completely agreed, and I hope we do get a character like this some day. This is one of the gimmicks I'm hoping for for Dragonborn.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Does anyone think that Nintendo has something planned for this month but might actually push it back due to allegations and things that have happened over the last week.
Very unlikely. Even with those allegations, they still have a product to sell regardless of competitive enthusiasts

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I suppose you can never say never, but I truly doubt that would be the reason. The competitive Smash community is a small fraction of the overall larger fanbase at large. We need to remember that due to how many franchises Smash includes, the amount of fans it pulls in is multiplied exponentially. As such, when some people say the DLC should be canceled or "Smash is dead" due to the recent allegations... well, that's pretty dumb. Nintendo has taken care to distance itself from the competitive Smash community (as many already know). If Nintendo were to delay news, it would likely be for a bigger reason and if the allegations factored into anything at all, it would likely be a small amount.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
As this is a small subset of one fanbase (one that they don't seem to overly support anyway) of one country, I don't think that'd change anything. Now, a delay from COVID or something that is in everyone's life could be possible, but I don't think the events of the past weeks would have any change in any sort of announcements or development schedule whatsoever.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Most likely no to a delay.

The problem is that Nintendo has been horrible in their marketing and news updates ever since last October, well before this virus took stage. They have been confusingly quiet on what they have to offer for this year. A new Paper Mario game comes out in almost a week and there's barely any updates or info on it. And instead of actually telling their fans what's it about, they just release a 30 second video today as if they just acknowledge that it exists. Meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft and other developers are announcing their consoles and games, so its not like the virus has been a strangle hold on gaming news.

I think Nintendo flat out has nothing this year.

Every month since December 2019 its been 'Think Nintendo will release news or a Direct this month? They've been awfully quiet.' Insiders then hint that Nintendo has giant plans to announce and the dam is about to burst. And then the month passes, nothing comes out of it and the cycle repeats into the next month. The game awards had two console companies reveal their next gen plans. Meanwhile, Nintendo has 2 to 3 games shown, none 1st party. And despite not announcing things, they keep claiming that their holiday plans are on schedule and how they had a delay but its under control and on target.

So, I kinda don't see a delay due to the horrible revelations in the Smash community simply because I feel that Nintendo never HAD any plans for this month TO be delayed.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Regarding Geno's potential tear placing, I have two things to say:
  1. Coming from someone who's mained Roy since Melee and has Ganondorf and King K. Rool as secondaries in Ultimate, it doesn't matter if a character is considered low-tier. If you like them then you should play them.
  2. When Geno gets in, people aren't going to give him nearly as much **** as they are now if he's low-tier, because a lot of the hate Geno gets nowadays is reactionary. As I've mentioned a while back, when Ridley got in, people didn't stick around to keep ****ting on him, they moved on to King K. Rool, and when King K. Rool got in they moved on to Banjo & Kazooie, and when Banjo & Kazooie got in they moved on to Geno. Once Geno gets in, they'll move on to ****ting on the next biggest NEVER EVER character, which will either be Waluigi, Isaac, or Shantae, if I had to guess.

Lemme put it this way: I've had little hope for more Smash info until at least September for a while now, and this controversy hasn't changed that. Maybe we'll get something this week, but I'm not honding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Looking at the DLC page of both SSBU Fighters Passes, I'm now seeing that Challenger Packs 8 and 9 might in fact be the highlights of Vol. 2. When looking at the first Fighters Pass, seeing Banjo & Kazooie right in the middle sort of gives the duo a "stage-presence" positioning (almost like a lead actor in a play). Right next to them there's Hero on the left, and Terry on the right (both of which imo, are also stellar picks). Following this train of thought, I'd expect CPs 8 and 9 to be the hypest, with CPs 7 and 10 being the niche yet also hype picks, and CP 11... well... I guess CP 5 can give somewhat of an idea.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
The ideal Classic Mode route for Geno:

The Star Road Warrior

All of the rounds are stamina battles and Mario, Peach and Bowser are CPU allies in all 7 rounds.

Round 1: Giant red Meta Knight (he's a stand in for Mack). The stage you fight him on is Princess Peach's Castle.

Round 2: Giant green and red Pit (he's a stand in for Bowyer) The stage you fight him on is Garden of Hope.

Round 3: Giant Ganondorf (stand in for Yardiovich) The stage you fight him on is Find Mii.

Round 4: Giant red Yoshi (stand in for the Czor Dragon). The stage you fight him on is Norfair.

Round 5: Pink, red, green, yellow and black Kirbies (they're stand ins for the Axem Rangers). The stage you fight them on is Hailberd.

Round 6: Giant yellow shirted Marth (he's a stand in for Exor). The stage you fight him on is Bowser's Keep (assuming that's Geno's stage).

Bonus Game.

Final Round: Giant metal King Dedede and Ganon (they're stand ins for Smithy's two forms). So for this battle you fight the giant metal King Dedede on Ganon's stage and after you beat King Dedede, Ganon shows up.

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
I just want to say that I've hit people with Byleth's Amyr (down B) way more often than my opponents would probably like to admit, which breaks shields stupidly easy and KOs very easily too. Byleth has very good range, yes, but also some devastating attacks with Amyr.

Also, regardless of how good or bad people think Byleth is, or whether Min Min overshadows them, I've had the most fun with Byleth out of all the DLC characters, and they basically became my new main. So just remember as well, even though it's popular in the Smash community to hate on FE and Byleth, in the broader Nintendo community, Byleth's inclusion makes a lot of people happy. Every character has their fans, and people like playing as characters they like. Anyway back to Geno

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, Geno is part of the picks that has factors against them according to certain people. Really, no matter who is standing either tall or short, Sakurai always changes the order regardless of the people's thoughts before the final.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I just want to say that I've hit people with Byleth's Amyr (down B) way more often than my opponents would probably like to admit, which breaks shields stupidly easy and KOs very easily too. Byleth has very good range, yes, but also some devastating attacks with Amyr.

Also, regardless of how good or bad people think Byleth is, or whether Min Min overshadows them, I've had the most fun with Byleth out of all the DLC characters, and they basically became my new main. So just remember as well, even though it's popular in the Smash community to hate on FE and Byleth, in the broader Nintendo community, Byleth's inclusion makes a lot of people happy. Every character has their fans, and people like playing as characters they like. Anyway back to Geno
As a Fire Emblem Three houses fan, it sucks that Byleth doesn't mesh with me that much. My mains consist of characters who are usually a bit more nimble (such as :ultpikachu:, :ultsonic:, and :ultjoker:) and characters I usually have a connection to. Even though releasing Byleth as Fighter #5 was, in my opinion, really bad timing and kind of tone-deaf, I was at least excited Three Houses got some representation. Unfortunately I really can't get a hang of Byleth's slow movement in general. The character just feels really sluggish to me. I do enjoy the various weapons used though, however, so I hope Byleth receives some good buffs soon to increase the character's viability.

To make this more specific to the Geno thread, I'm sure zealots of Geno will play as him even if he was considered "bottom tier." They love the character and a tier list isn't going to stop them from enjoying him. Heck, I also main :ultridley:as a secondary and he's definitely not considered "top tier." It just sucks when you don't vibe with the moveset of a character you've wanted for ages. Again, people can just force it and that's fine (some movesets require learning curves), but it is saddening to see some fans get discouraged because the character's moveset isn't their jam.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Looking at the DLC page of both SSBU Fighters Passes, I'm now seeing that Challenger Packs 8 and 9 might in fact be the highlights of Vol. 2. When looking at the first Fighters Pass, seeing Banjo & Kazooie right in the middle sort of gives the duo a "stage-presence" positioning (almost like a lead actor in a play). Right next to them there's Hero on the left, and Terry on the right (both of which imo, are also stellar picks). Following this train of thought, I'd expect CPs 8 and 9 to be the hypest, with CPs 7 and 10 being the niche yet also hype picks, and CP 11... well... I guess CP 5 can give somewhat of an idea.
If Master Chief is at the end of the Pass, than that will definitely be considered a E3 level reveal. I have never played Halo, but I acknowledge how big the franchise is and how big it would be for the Xbox mascot to get into Smash. I would be hyped as hell for Chief.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I like to believe that Sakurai smiles every time he learns that people don't care about tiers and just want to play their favorite characters that he puts in his game.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of E3, it's starting to look like July 20th may be our date now that Kelios and NateDrake teased towards it. ˜If one of the mentioned here ever see this post, thanks for telling us the date so soon and keep it up!˜

Receipts.png

I knew that insiders would hear about it this week considering how Direct rumors usually go, but I thought the presentation would be sooner to not compete with Xbox's. Maybe the announcement is this week or the next one, since they put a exact date instead of a timeframe, which would make sense if it was a "E3 Showcase": they announce those way ahead. Kelios also said that many announcements would be shown and this is a "presentation", though no indications on the presence of 3rd parties. Though it guarantees that we're getting something Smash related. The stars are aligning, guys...

Just willing this into existence was more than enough by me, even if the date was wrong in the end. We have a new E3 week(s) now. HYPE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom