• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Weird thing to say but I'm curious on how they'll handle Geno's eyes because he doesn't really have "real" eyes. Looking at his art, it's heavily implied they're carved and not painted on so his eyes would technically be a little sunken in and the animations would probably be sudden and jerky.
Makes me think of the kinda uncanny way minecraft characters are animated on youtube
Steve.PNG.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Something I fear if Geno gets in is all the hardcore competitive Smash fans that will say he is trash because he isn't OP. The Smash community REALLY killed my hype for King K. Rool and Banjo by calling them trash and I seriously hope they don't do the same to Geno.

Of course, I don't want Geno, or any character for that matter, to be so OP that they are game breaking *cough* Brawl Meta Knight *cough* Sm4sh Bayonetta *cough*, but I try my hardest to stay away from the competitive scene, because I always get this feeling like people are telling me who I should and should not play with, and I HATE that feeling.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Something I fear if Geno gets in is all the hardcore competitive Smash fans that will say he is trash because he isn't OP. The Smash community REALLY killed my hype for King K. Rool and Banjo by calling them trash and I seriously hope they don't do the same to Geno.

Of course, I don't want Geno, or any character for that matter, to be so OP that they are game breaking *cough* Brawl Meta Knight *cough* Sm4sh Bayonetta *cough*, but I try my hardest to stay away from the competitive scene, because I always get this feeling like people are telling me who I should and should not play with, and I HATE that feeling.
Don't worry. Like what you like. I don't care if people say Banjo-Kazooie and King K. Rool are called trash, I still like to play as them.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Sounds like a fantastic fear to have. Honestly unless you are playing the game as a source of income you probably shouldn’t let top player tiers affect your life in any way whatsoever. I am a tryhard and every single character is still viable at my level. Just have fun with Geno if he’s in

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

"Trash" characters have some of the most loyal fanbases though. It's a reason why pretty much every heavyweight has been a staple in competitive play since Melee despite typically being high mid tier at best. Beyond that, people love K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo because of their playstyles so it really doesn't matter if the "pros" pick them up. I'm a Wii Fit main and that's one of the main appeals of her to me is that she's kind of niche but has a crazy dedicated fanbase.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
"Trash" characters have some of the most loyal fanbases though. It's a reason why pretty much every heavyweight has been a staple in competitive play since Melee despite typically being high mid tier at best. Beyond that, people love K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo because of their playstyles so it really doesn't matter if the "pros" pick them up. I'm a Wii Fit main and that's one of the main appeals of her to me is that she's kind of niche but has a crazy dedicated fanbase.
Yeah, just here to say that Geno could fall into a level of bad like Melee Bowser and I'd still co-main him, no shame or question.
It's irrational, it makes no sense, and it's how it be with Smash across all games for a lot of a folks (I say this as a Link main in every game).

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I have a difficult time using Banjo in general play and can't combo well with him. But I'll be damned if that means I need to stop using one of my favorite additions to Smash.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
On a related note, Geno would definitely be a projectile-heavy character, which is a playstyle I really don't enjoy. So it's kind of hilarious that I've put so much hype into the idea of getting a character I probably wouldn't even play much lmao

D

Deleted member

I’m going to predict Geno being considered a very solid character by pros. I can imagine Geno being a fast projectile heavy character with fast frame data and kills early but easy to launch like in SMRPG doing high damage and speed but low defense. Geno seems pretty OP in Legacy XP especially F-air.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Weird thing to say but I'm curious on how they'll handle Geno's eyes because he doesn't really have "real" eyes. Looking at his art, it's heavily implied they're carved and not painted on so his eyes would technically be a little sunken in and the animations would probably be sudden and jerky.
I'd hope they'd avoid uncanny animations with the eyes

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Looks like 7/7 is dead bar a shadow drop (which has so far never happened for Smash), but I still think Geno is FP7.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Looks like 7/7 is dead bar a shadow drop (which has so far never happened for Smash), but I still think Geno is FP7.
We've still got 3 more weeks left if nothing shows up this week for announcements. It's a bit early to throw in the towel

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I'd say if you love to play as King K. Rool and Banjo, keep 'em going. Don't let them influence you.

Besides, K. Rool's got the longer end of the stick in 8.0, so that's something.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Screw what haters say, just play the character you like ... tier lists are for competive reasons ... unless you compete and your income comes from that it’s no big deal.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I don't care a single bit about competitive video games, so I just play (and will continue to play) as whoever I feel like during a particular match. When I have a character that I prefer playing as more than others, it's usually because I have an appreciation for the character and the series they came from, not because of some cold stats situation.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of some people being sore about certain characters because 'nobody plays them, why are they here', this is such a strange thing to get hung up about, considering that out of the millions of copies of Smash Ultimate that exist out in the ether, there is absolutely 100% no chance that there is a single unused character out of the 76 currently available picks in the roster. It's silly to argue that "nobody picks X" simply because, statistically, this is impossible; All of the available characters are used by someone in some capacity, and that someone is very happy that their pick is in this incredible game.

You know how funny it is to be weathering an argument from someone that is being grouchy about how Banjo doesn't deserve his spot because nobody plays as him while I am just nodding my head and picking Banjo & Kazooie anyway? This stuff is simply gold to me; If a character can't be deconfirmed by some imaginary fan-rule, then the only other option left is for the disgruntled parties to tackle it from a different angle; "Well, fine, they got in despite the rules we made up, but since there's no way anybody plays as this highly requested character, this means that we MUST be right in that they shouldn't be here, and are thus a wasted slot."

Etc, etc.

I don't know, man, I just wanna eventually make a puppet slap a couple of fire emblems across the face with a star missile while a walking cheese wheel throws a fire hydrant at both a gun-wielding space dog and a restaurateur with noodle arms. Some people just get way too heated by these things.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
We've still got 3 more weeks left if nothing shows up this week for announcements. It's a bit early to throw in the towel
I literally said that I think Geno IS FP7.
7/7 or not.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
It's hard to imagine Geno not being fun, I mean even for a turn-based RPG he's a lot of fun to control. Imagine having the freedom to roam about and fire all kinds of bullets, lasers and whirl discs and moving about the stage quickly. I want that glass cannon we've been talking about so badly.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

recent news leads me to believe that you'll not have to contend with the opinions of basically any pro smasher again for a long, long time

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if it'd make the most sense or have any real connection (other than Geno being a Mario character) but I kinda want him to come with a full-body Mii Brawler suit of Smash 64's low-poly Mario model.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Who gives **** about the tier list and who gives a **** what competitive pro players have to say about our favorite characters.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Okay but if Evo ever happens again we’re all in agreement that Geno has to win Evo right?

D

Deleted member

Never forget that tier lists are a popularity contest among players who can make it to major tournaments and do well in the most cynical light, and a list of low-risk high reward/low input favorable output in the most favorable light.

I feel like Smash probably has the least amount of "low tier" upsets of any competitively played fighter and I really blame the community for that more than I blame the game design. Then again, given the last handful of days, that's the least of the sins of the upper echelons of this community.

Geno's got a lot of possibility to be considered high tier without a soul playing him at a high level simply because the Smash community at large considers "fast man good", but I could also see him being prohibitively complex to the point that he ends up being a low tier known for impressive amounts of sauce in the proper hands. The other day, I theorized a combo based moveset in which his moves do less damage and knockback when you get the timing right as opposed to what may be the common idea of doing more damage for timing the hits properly, so that as long as you're nailing the timed hits, you get to carry a combo on until the mid percents. In this theoretical, the specials do more damage and knockback when you get the timing right, so that his normals end up being the combo tools and his specials secure kills. Maybe the same should be applied to somewhat laggy smash attacks, to increase the amount of potential kill options if you really want to stunt.

Such a heavy input based moveset would end up being the kind of thing that takes a lot of practice, which likely wouldn't be worth it to folks who are already doing well with a character they enjoy, and honestly, may be quite the entrance barrier to some Geno fans. If he ends up being hard to play, I encourage everyone here who has eagerly awaited him to stick with him and practice, which, as we all know, makes perfect.

Monokarhu

Smash Cadet
Because building conspiracy theories on top of conspiracy theories is fun, here's another one;

They were going to announce a Direct for Wednesday yesterday (after all, everyone's favorite leaker, hotgirlvideos69, said that they'd announce something on 7/6), but Microsoft's announcement of the Xbox Games Showcase made Nintendo move the Direct announcement to today (7/7) so that it wouldn't compete with Microsoft's announcement.

Or they were going to post another f***ing Origami King trailer but simply forgot to.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Because building conspiracy theories on top of conspiracy theories is fun, here's another one;

They were going to announce a Direct for Wednesday yesterday (after all, everyone's favorite leaker, hotgirlvideos69, said that they'd announce something on 7/6), but Microsoft's announcement of the Xbox Games Showcase made Nintendo move the Direct announcement to today (7/7) so that it wouldn't compete with Microsoft's announcement.

Or they were going to post another f***ing Origami King trailer but simply forgot to.
Nintendo posts a video that just has the text 'We have games' followed by a laugh track playing.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Here is something for all you Animal Crossing players. I just opened the shop on my island, so I decided to download some custom designs. Here you can see my villager in New Horizons. As you can see, I downloaded some clothes to represent my current Smash main, Banjo & Kazooie, as well as my two most wanteds, Crash and Geno. This took quite some time to get and I am pretty happy with the outcome, even though Aku Aku looks a bit janky lol.

Here's hoping the both of them get included in Fighters Pass Volume 2!

EcU9EnKVAAARIQE.jpg

Handy Man

Smash Ace

The competitive community does not care about the groundswell of support these highly requested characters earn before their Smash debuts. I decided to main King K. Rool in Ultimate simply because I was a big King K. Rool supporter over the years and really wanted him in Super Smash Bros., as I love his unhinged personality and thought he would be a fun and unique character.

A lot of competitive players won’t care about how much you thought Geno would make a lot of sense and how excited you are that he’s in the game. You just got to main Geno out of the love for the game and the character. I’ve been ignoring the haters and have been doing my best to press King K. Rool’s meta, and I have been rewarded by winning a couple of small locals and even making it onto this directory of King K. Rool mains.

Don’t let anyone tell you that Geno isn’t hype. Don’t even think about those people. Just live in the moment, knowing that your favorite character is finally playable after years of waiting, and make the most of it. You won’t regret it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The whole talk about "Geno being trash" reminds me about how ever pro player talked about how trash Byleth would be. Then a day or two later, MKLeo wins a local tournament and he is looked like a high mid tier character. Besides, people didn´t think Joker would be that good when they presented him, and look at him now

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
The whole talk about "Geno being trash" reminds me about how ever pro player talked about how trash Byleth would be. Then a day or two later, MKLeo wins a local tournament and he is looked like a high mid tier character. Besides, people didn´t think Joker would be that good when they presented him, and look at him now
MKLeo makes whatever character he touches look good. If you want Geno to be seen as viable or high tier or whatever, just hope that Leo plays him at a tourney once or twice. Tee hee

D

Deleted member

MKLeo makes whatever character he touches look good. If you want Geno to be seen as viable or high tier or whatever, just hope that Leo plays him at a tourney once or twice. Tee hee
Well, IIRC GiMR paid Leo $100 to play Byleth at the Xanadu weekly that happened the week of/week after release pretty much for the thumbnail alone so if there's hype to be made from some big name playing the character, someone will foot the bill to make it happen.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
True. I just still think it's funny. I even saw some claim that MKLeo would go to a tourney with him and lose when I was on Twitter when Byleth released....

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So... I just found out that Ys Origins is also coming to the Nintendo Switch. With Ys IX: Monstrum Nox having been shadow announced a few days ago, I just can't help but get the feeling that... Adol could be a dark horse. :nifty:

Back to Geno.

Geno gonna be HEART tier. :2gud:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
That’s another point worth bringing up. The people that call Geno trash could probably be people who main characters like Palutena, Wolf, or Lucina. For the most part, high level players main those characters not because they finished Kid Icarus Uprising or found all of the routes in Star Fox 64, but because they are simply good characters.

If Geno is mid tier and these people say he’s not viable, then that should be the least of their concerns anyway. It’s really not their business if they don’t even use the character much. A lot of the people who I have seen say that King K. Rool is unviable probably haven’t played against a compotent main of him yet. While he does have a lot of losing matchups, I have beaten a lot of these higher tier characters, and you start to learn the matchups in general after a while of fighting the same characters. Which is easier to learn for the higher tiered characters as they appear in tournaments more often.

The people that don’t care for Geno have a different agenda than you guys do. That’s why I was saying in my earlier post that you shouldn’t care about these people too much. There are people that like to watch these lower tiered characters too, as players like Ben Gold and KirbyKid show.

With that said, if Geno becomes top ten in the game material, he may be lumped in with those characters. That would be a different story. Sure, he would be amazing and you guys would have an easier time in brackets, but people would complain for the opposite reasons, and a lot of people who never heard of him before would probably pick him up too.

Overall, you can’t really complain either way. You guys worked so hard on getting a one game character from 1996 into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and that is an accomplishment in itself. Regardless if Geno is the worst or best character in the game, he wouldn’t be in the game at all if it weren’t for your grassroots love for the character, and you all should be proud for that alone. At that point, the competitive playerbase’s opinions don’t matter. All that matters is that Geno from Super Mario RPG is in Smash, and that’s awesome.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That’s another point worth bringing up. The people that call Geno trash could probably be people who main characters like Palutena, Wolf, or Lucina. For the most part, high level players main those characters not because they finished Kid Icarus Uprising or found all of the routes in Star Fox 64, but because they are simply good characters.

If Geno is mid tier and these people say he’s not viable, then that should be the least of their concerns anyway. It’s really not their business if they don’t even use the character much. A lot of the people who I have seen say that King K. Rool is unviable probably haven’t played against a compotent main of him yet. While he does have a lot of losing matchups, I have beaten a lot of these higher tier characters, and you start to learn the matchups in general after a while of fighting the same characters. Which is easier to learn for the higher tiered characters as they appear in tournaments more often.

The people that don’t care for Geno have a different agenda than you guys do. That’s why I was saying in my earlier post that you shouldn’t care about these people too much. There are people that like to watch these lower tiered characters too, as players like Ben Gold and KirbyKid show.

With that said, if Geno becomes top ten in the game material, he may be lumped in with those characters. That would be a different story. Sure, he would be amazing and you guys would have an easier time in brackets, but people would complain for the opposite reasons, and a lot of people who never heard of him before would probably pick him up too.

Overall, you can’t really complain either way. You guys worked so hard on getting a one game character from 1996 into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and that is an accomplishment in itself. Regardless if Geno is the worst or best character in the game, he wouldn’t be in the game at all if it weren’t for your grassroots love for the character, and you all should be proud for that alone. At that point, the competitive playerbase’s opinions don’t matter. All that matters is that Geno from Super Mario RPG is in Smash, and that’s awesome.
Agreed. Concidering most (if not all) people here are not in the smash pro-community, him being low or high in the tier list should not be a priority if Geno gets in.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Here is something for all you Animal Crossing players. I just opened the shop on my island, so I decided to download some custom designs. Here you can see my villager in New Horizons. As you can see, I downloaded some clothes to represent my current Smash main, Banjo & Kazooie, as well as my two most wanteds, Crash and Geno. This took quite some time to get and I am pretty happy with the outcome, even though Aku Aku looks a bit janky lol.

Here's hoping the both of them get included in Fighters Pass Volume 2!

View attachment 277601
You: Oy mom, can we get an Aku-Aku Mask?
Mom: You have an Aku-Aku Mask at home
Aku-Aku Mask at home:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom