• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh Nintendo, the things you do to us. It can mean either bad, neutral or good for our Geno.

The Good: a.) Springman is the fighter (The mascot) b.) Springman and Ribbongirl (a la Olimar 2.0) c.) Multiple ARM fighters that can fit size wise (A la Bowser Jr.) All of these fighters will "break" the "No Promotion Rule."

The Neutral (But would enrage the majority of the Smash Base for such a shameless advertisement despite highly demanded fighters for years and years and years): ARMS 2 rep. Even if it is a "redesign" of Springman and the crew, it could in some way not "count" as a promotion. I say this very, very loosely, since it could be an argument Nintendo could "say" that the choice doesn't count as a promotion of Spirits/Mii Costumes/AT.

The Bad: The chosen ARMS 1 fighter is NOT represented in Smash. This really would reinforce the "no promotion" idea since ... why not go with the mascot or highly popular ones to a choice of a fighter not even "good enough" to be a Spirit. (Nothing against the fans of said missing fighters as Spirits ... it's just the reality?)

Now, am I upset that ARMS is getting a fighter? No, not at all. It's a Nintendo Rep that would have fit well for the rooster if it wasn't for timing.

The situation can be really great or bad depending on who the fighter is for the grand scheme of things. So I am waiting to either be super excited, meh, or "I'm done with this crap" feeling.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Icewolff92 Icewolff92 if the character was from ARMS 2 they just wouldn't have given a list at all. No offense, but the placeholder thing is nonsense.
Never say never my friend. You shall never put everything in one potential basket. If I had to guess we are either getting one from the first game, or we are looking at a BJ/Hero situation. But the placeholder scenario isn¨t impossible. Maybe it is the skeptic in me, but I could see that being possible.

The Switch news feed specifically says the character is "from the ARMS game" so while it could be a redesigned ARMS character, it would be pretty blatantly lying if it's a completely new hypothetical ARMS 2 character.
And companies do PR spins all the time

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How many people think that it's actually going to be a character from an "arms 2" cause honestly, that feels like a very unlikely scenario to me. I know people are just trying to keep their hopes down in case it seals Geno's fate or somthing, but I dunno, I just don't see that happening.
I don't think Arms 2 character is likely at all if they're making a sequel. I think it's going to be a character that's already a Spirit like Spring Man, Spring Girl or Mini Mini.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Never say never my friend. You shall never put everything in one potential basket. If I had to guess we are either getting one from the first game, or we are looking at a BJ/Hero situation. But the placeholder scenario isn¨t impossible. Maybe it is the skeptic in me, but I could see that being possible.
It's not impossible, but there is nothing pointing to it, Nintendo specifically said it's from ARMS 1, and the game doesn't even exist as far as we know.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
A thought just occurred to me......what if the ARMS rep ISN'T a promotion? What if they choose a character that doesn't already have a spirit, costume or AT? That would actually REINFORCE the spirit's deconfirm BS! Ooooooooh, boy......

That could be really bad for Geno.
Yeah, no doubt about it, it’s not gonna be a good look for us. But I wouldn’t give up, tbh. I’d just quietly exit speculation for a while and hope something good happens on the off chance.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's not impossible, but there is nothing pointing to it, Nintendo specifically said it's from ARMS 1, and the game doesn't even exist as far as we know.
They said it was from Arms. And that could mean Arms as in the franchise. I mean, the way Reggie worded it, when they revealed Joker made it look like it would be from new franchises only for people and look what happen with Byleth.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I really don't want to believe ARMS 2 is definitely coming when nothing has been said about it, not even a hint. And with how they teased the character, I can't imagine it being a completely new character from an unannounced sequel; they'd be seriously ticking off fans of the first game's characters (especially since they showed the full roster of the first game when saying the tease question, though I guess they would be happy for a sequel but still) and it'd be the ultimate "shill," as people call it, much moreso than other games they've "shilled."

I think we should just be optimistic or at least normal for once instead of constantly arguing over things that probably aren't even going to happen, just for the sake of "tempering expectations;" if y'all wanna temper expectations, at least base it all on stuff we actually know.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
A long-standing theory of mine is that Nintendo was going to promote the most wanted spirit, costume, and assist trophy and I think that's going to happen...
The thing is though, pretty much every assist trophy is a spirit, pretty much every costume is a spirit, and a lot of assists are also costumes. So I don't think any promotions would follow some rigid ruleset like this since it's kind of impossible to do just one of each. I think promotions, if they happen, will just happen, you know? Just give me Rex and Geno please (and Isaac even though I never played GS because his fans really deserve it)

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Also, lemme squash this little theory that it’s gonna be an “Arms 2” character

https://mobile.twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1243180587675869184

why would they even bother putting the Arms 1 logo at the top left corner if it was going to change later on? That’s really reaching. It’ll be an Arms 1 character

Edit: also, no, just because it’s a character from the Arms “series” does not mean they’d use the Arms 1 logo. Why didn’t they use the Fire Emblem “series” logo for Byleth, or the Persona “series” for Joker? Or hell, they even used the Dragon Quest XI logo for Hero despite 3/4 of his alts not even being from that game.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
They said it was from Arms. And that could mean Arms as in the franchise. I mean, the way Reggie worded it, when they revealed Joker made it look like it would be from new franchises only for people and look what happen with Byleth.
That was different. Reggie never said anything of the sort. People were making a ton of assumptions there. This literally says it's from the "ARMS" game. It's from the individual game specifically called "ARMS". That leaves no room for a character from a game not called "ARMS". Therefore it is not from a sequel which would be called "ARMS 2" or something. The wording is very specific.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But Reggie said it in a way where he was saying characters new to the roster or game not specifically from other worlds/3rd parties.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will just say, Inkling was revealed at a time when Splatoon 2 was a current thing to focus on, yet they still went with the first Splatoon for their design and move set. I don't see how an ARMS rep would be any different, especially when there is nothing to suggest that there is a sequel.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It could, but I get the feeling it will be one of the characters already in as spirits or an assist. I don't think we have much to worry about in this regard.
Keep in mind that with a new character, a spirit board has to be made on it's behalf. So they might want to include fighters that currently are not spirits to take over majority of the spirit board.

In the extremely unlikely scenario of someone buying the DLC pass just for the new Spirit Boards packs, why would Nintendo/Sakurai want to repackage and sell existing already existing spirits back to us? I paid $6 just to have a shot at Twintelle and Spring Man again when I could have summoned these spirits for free. Thanks. It's little things like this that investors will pay attention to and knowing Nintendo, they don't want to do something like that to their consumer base.

Geno and Mallow are in a very similar situation to the likes of Spring Man, Min Min etc. If one of them does in fact get in, it could open up to seeing other Mario RPG characters populating their spirit board without causing an issue with the Geno/Mallow ones. In the event a spirit does get in as well, this might answer the question of what will happen with a Fighter Spirit. It is all stuff we have answered and perhaps discussed to death regarding Geno, but the significance of this reveal is going to be huge. I truly do hope we really beat this ****ty fan theory down to the ground. I want a reason to believe in Geno again and this is it!

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
In the extremely unlikely scenario of someone buying the DLC pass just for the new Spirit Boards packs, why would Nintendo/Sakurai want to repackage and sell existing already existing spirits back to us? I paid $6 just to have a shot at Twintelle and Spring Man again when I could have summoned these spirits for free. Thanks.
I could be wrong, but aren't DLC spirits (excluding the fighter spirits) added to the in-game shop for free even if you don't buy the character?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That was different. Reggie never said anything of the sort. People were making a ton of assumptions there. This literally says it's from the "ARMS" game. It's from the individual game specifically called "ARMS". That leaves no room for a character from a game not called "ARMS". Therefore it is not from a sequel which would be called "ARMS 2" or something. The wording is very specific.
Yeah, to be honest, if it was for a potential sequel, you'd think they would have waited to reveal any info instead of making it sound and look like the character is from the first game.

Keep in mind that with a new character, a spirit board has to be made on it's behalf. So they might want to include fighters that currently are not spirits to take over majority of the spirit board.
You can't get the fighter's spirit from the spirit board, though. The majority of ARMS characters aren't spirits, too.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I could be wrong, but aren't DLC spirits (excluding the fighter spirits) added to the game for free even if you don't buy the character?
While it is possible to collect for free, the angle I was going at was someone specifically buying to play all the spirit battles. Most of them you have to wait for or has an incredibly low spawn rate.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
When you put it like that, if they go with anyone who isn't currently a spirit, the dream is dead, because it illustrates the kind of hoops they have to jump through to avoid using a character who is currently a spirit.

Hot diggity dog, finally some ****ing closure.
Even if it happens, I won't give up hope. They could be thinking "we don't have enough villains" and go with Coyle.
3u68w0.jpg

Edit: I almost want to make this stupid meme my signature.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Trolling/bait
Its not a shill pick. A popular new Nintendo IP got into the Nintendo crossover game. It makes sense.

Man you would be saying the same thing if the modest 1-million selling Pikmin series got into smash nowadays instead of in brawl wouldnt you
Not really, as Pikmin really has a community, albeit going the same route due to Nintendo not giving a ****.

ARMS is NOT popular. Splatoon is popular, Animal Crossing is popular, Ultimate is popular. ARMS is not.

I'm done trying to argue this point though. ARMS didn't stick despite Nintendo desperately trying to make it stick like Splatoon and now here they are about to try it again.

If you are convinced that ARMS is the next big thing and that the world over just loves it to death, feel free to be objectively wrong.

Here's hoping that this comes with an ARMS 2 announcement and that people actually care about it this time so I can play the game longer than 6 months.

Droodle

Smash Lord
With the way they're promoting ARMS right now, it would be improbable that they decided to put in an ARMS 2 character instead. The free trial is to reignite interest in the game, using Smash as advertising; it would be counter intuitive if they just decide to say psyche and put in an ARMS 2 character.

I also doubt that Springman will be that fighter, although he is still possible. They wouldn't be so secretive about it if they just put in the character everyone thought would represent ARMS. At that point, they should have just revealed him yesterday, instead of playing the long game and making everyone wait.
Likewise, I don't think Min min, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Twintelle are the "obvious" choice now. They were so secretive, I can't imagine they'll skip Spring-Man and choose one of the next "obvious" picks instead.

Due to ARMS characters functioning so differently, I can't imagine they'll do a Hero or Bowser Jr. situation. That would take a lot of charm out of each of these characters, in order to fill in a cookie cutter moveset. The reason why it worked for Hero was because the DQ protags have 0 personality and all do pretty much the exact same things.

While it could be any of those listed above (including Springman), I'd say it's likely an out of the left field pick. Probably either Dr. Coyle (main villain), Max Brass (Champion), or a totally wacky pick like Helix. Also, I hope people stop really using "popularity within the game's fanbase" as an argument for Min min or Twintelle, because I remember getting shredded in this thread for using the same argument for another character.

That said, even if Dr. Coyle, Max Brass, or Helix get in. I still think that we are getting at least 1 promotion and that all fan-rules (except for game characters only) is a dumb argument. I don't know if it'll be Geno, Waluigi, Rex and Pyra, Isaac, or Rayman; but we are at least getting 1 promotion and it'll more than likely be one of those 5.

EDIT: I also don't doubt ARMS 2 is being made. Nintendo wouldn't put in ARMS in Smash only to then abandon the series completely. They could technically reveal a new design for one of these characters in ARMS 2 and have that be the fighter. I would still count that as a promotion, even if it is a little more grey.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But Reggie said it in a way where he was saying characters new to the roster or game not specifically from other worlds/3rd parties.
Trust me, I know what he said does not contradict with Byleths inclusion. Hell, that was something I have pointed out to people a lot prior to Byleths reveal. That said, the way they worded that sentence, together with not showing/telling us who it specifically is, makes it feel that it could be something from a potential sequel. But maybe that¨s just the sceptic in me talking.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Not really, as Pikmin really has a community, albeit going the same route due to Nintendo not giving a ****.

ARMS is NOT popular. Splatoon is popular, Animal Crossing is popular, Ultimate is popular. ARMS is not.

I'm done trying to argue this point though. ARMS didn't stick despite Nintendo desperately trying to make it stick like Splatoon and now here they are about to try it again.

If you are convinced that ARMS is the next big thing and that the world over just loves it to death, feel free to be objectively wrong.

Here's hoping that this comes with an ARMS 2 announcement and that people actually care about it this time so I can play the game longer than 6 months.
It's not that I disagree with you, I don't actually, I agree 100%, but you're going at it way too aggressively. Fact of the matter is, ARMS is getting a character, regardless of it being unpopular, regardless of it not doing all that well, regardless of it basically being a dead game 3 years later. Nintendo probably wants to fix that with either a sequel or rebooting the first game with big, fresh, updates (if nothing comes, I will be very confused though), and that's being started with a new fighter... so... yeah.

Saying it's not popular would have made sense for "why would it get a fighter now?" instead of doing this during post-reveal speculation; it's just pointless.

Also, people talking about Reggie, if his words *are* actually law for FP2 as well (which I doubt, but let's say HYPOTHETICALLY it is), it's literally impossible for Spring Man to become playable, since he's not "new to the Smash series". That said, it would also make Geno literally impossible too since he's previously had a costume, and now he has a spirit, so... Reggie's flat out wrong for FP2. Otherwise, he didn't say anything wrong for FP1, because he said "characters new to the series", not "new series to the (Smash) series".

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman

ARMS has fans, and denying that is objectively wrong. It doesn't matter if its "the next big thing", it doesn't have to stand alongside Animal Crossing and Splatoon (which is a pretty disingenuous comparison, anyway--it would make more sense to compare it to objectively smaller IPs like F-Zero--comparing it to Smash, really?). It has a fanbase. Just like every game, just like every character that gets in. Just because you're not part of it or people don't praise the game every day doesn't mean a fanbase doesn't exist.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
All these people talkin smack about ARMS when I 100% guarantee this is what it's gonna be like for 95% of them:

Fanbase when Sakurai reveals :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwolf::ultduckhunt::ultpiranha::ult_terry:: "Dafuq is this? I didn't ask for this!"
Fanbase three weeks later: "If Sakurai tries to cut these characters I will kill everyone in my country and then myself."

Every. Single. ****ing. Time.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sigran101 Sigran101 I'm going to go ahead and apologise for how I originally described Byleth because with how hard ARMS is getting dunked on, I can now emphasize with how you probably felt back then. Granted, ARMS was something I reluctantly totally gave up on like my support of an Animal Crossing rep or the Koopalings ever being in Smash so I'm happy that one of my seemingly dead wishes came true but this is the first time where this kind of thing for me has been wildly unpopular. As the resident Byleth, I figured I'd put that out there to you specifically and that fanbase.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It's not that I disagree with you, I don't actually, I agree 100%, but you're going at it way too aggressively. Fact of the matter is, ARMS is getting a character, regardless of it being unpopular, regardless of it not doing all that well, regardless of it basically being a dead game 3 years later. Nintendo probably wants to fix that with either a sequel or rebooting the first game with big, fresh, updates (if nothing comes, I will be very confused though), and that's being started with a new fighter... so... yeah.

Saying it's not popular would have made sense for "why would it get a fighter now?" instead of doing this during post-reveal speculation; it's just pointless.
See, this is the stuff that almost gives me aneurysms.

I GET that ARMS is getting a character. I watched the Direct, I'm not blind nor an idiot.

I keep getting replies from people saying 'It was a huge success!' and 'It is popular, everyone loves ARMS!' who are just in flat out denial. THAT is what I'm tired of arguing about already. Facts are facts, and ARMS was not nearly as a big of a success as people want to act like it was.

Am I saying that means ARMS shouldn't have got in Smash? No.

Am I saying that this means ARMS is a bad game? Nope.

Am I saying that means an ARMS character will suck in Ultimate? Not at all, I'm excited about it.

I'm simply telling simps that desperately want to believe that ARMS truly was the next Splatoon that they are factually incorrect.

Other than that, all I've said is that it seems very much so that Nintendo went shill pick to push ARMS some more because they passed over all the other Nintendo IPs that people want characters from to pick ARMS, a newer game that has way less requests and barely a following. This is clearly also factual because if you look at the other Nintendo character we got in DLC, it was Byleth, which pushes and promotes Three Houses for Nintendo which was yet another game that has done better than ARMS.

Also, I don't care about the aggression anymore. If you had to repeat yourself all the time to people who simply will not listen when they are wrong, you'd get a little uptight too.

All these people talkin smack about ARMS when I 100% guarantee this is what it's gonna be like for 95% of them:

Fanbase when Sakurai reveals :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwolf::ultduckhunt::ultpiranha::ult_terry:: "Dafuq is this? I didn't ask for this!"
Fanbase three weeks later: "If Sakurai tries to cut these characters I will kill everyone in my country and then myself."

Every. Single. ***ing. Time.
Also, very much this. I main G&W and I grew up with fighting games so I love Terry. I think ROB and WFT and Plant are wonderful wacky additions. I also stare directly into the soul of people who want to remove Roy from the game with burning fiery passion.

For some reason, it's apparently impossible for me to both be excited for another wacky character while also being somewhat disappointed it wasn't a different Nintendo character and being critical of Nintendo's current marketing with Smash.

You can be critical of things, you like guys. You can have things you don't like about things you really like and things you like about things you ultimate dislike. It's called nuance and not being one-dimensional like a lot of modern-day writing in theaters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If you guys had the option to see the names of the characters who was all in the Pass right now would you? I sure as hell would. Of course it's better to wait and be surprised to see the characters, but we were waiting a long *** drought and probably another one now that the Corona virus is here. Yeah, I could wait but if I could choose I would like to know the rest of the roster now.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts on Geno's chances after a day of processing yesterday's Direct:
After Banjo got released and the announcement of more DLC coming I always thought it would be a full second season and even a full Fighters Pass again. And when thinking about which character could mirror Banjo's role as the longly requested character and bone for the long-time fans there really weren't that many characters left on the table. Ridley and Rool are already in. Krystal and Ashley supporters lost a lot of fire after Brawl and Isaac fans were never that vocal. The only character from that time and whose support got even acknowledged by Sakurai is Geno. The only thing that made me doubt it could be him was his spirit. If we get an answer for that in June and the ARMS character is an already represented character his chances improve significantly. If it is a rep from the current ARMS game a spirit will 100% be promoted, the only other option is a new character from a potential ARMS sequel that would get annouced simultaneously but I really see no evidence for that. Games like ARMS rarely get a sequel on the same console nowadays.
So I'm more in the camp that spirits do not deconfirm anymore. That in addition with his mii costume not returning with Hero and the lack of other viable long-term requests still not being in makes me think one of the last 5 characters could really be him.
But we'll have to wait until June to know more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you guys had the option to see the names of the characters who was all in the Pass right now would you? I sure as hell would. Of course it's better to wait and be surprised to see the characters, but we were waiting a long *** drought and probably another one now that the Corona virus is here. Yeah, I could wait but if I could choose I would like to know the rest of the roster now.
I would definitely want to see who the characters were because of where we are at right now. Although, I don't know if it would be good or not. If it would be like an "oh f**k go back" sort of reaction after seeing what characters they are and even then it's already set in stone.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Isaac fans were never that vocal.
What you mean? The Isaac thread is the 2nd biggest thread on the site just behind Geno and Isaac was pretty popular during the Brawl and Smash 4 days.

I would definitely want to see who the characters were because of where we are at right now. Although, I don't know if it would be good or not. If it would be like an "oh f**k go back" sort of reaction after seeing what characters they are and even then it's already set in stone.
Well to me it's better to rip the bandage off earlier just so we don't have to keep worrying who it is.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
See, this is the stuff that almost gives me aneurysms.

I GET that ARMS is getting a character. I watched the Direct, I'm not blind nor an idiot.

I keep getting replies from people saying 'It was a huge success!' and 'It is popular, everyone loves ARMS!' who are just in flat out denial. THAT is what I'm tired of arguing about already. Facts are facts, and ARMS was not nearly as a big of a success as people want to act like it was.

Am I saying that means ARMS shouldn't have got in Smash? No.

Am I saying that this means ARMS is a bad game? Nope.

Am I saying that means an ARMS character will suck in Ultimate? Not at all, I'm excited about it.

I'm simply telling simps that desperately want to believe that ARMS truly was the next Splatoon that they are factually incorrect.

Other than that, all I've said is that it seems very much so that Nintendo went shill pick to push ARMS some more because they passed over all the other Nintendo IPs that people want characters from to pick ARMS, a newer game that has way less requests and barely a following. This is clearly also factual because if you look at the other Nintendo character we got in DLC, it was Byleth, which pushes and promotes Three Houses for Nintendo which was yet another game that has done better than ARMS.

Also, I don't care about the aggression anymore. If you had to repeat yourself all the time to people who simply will not listen when they are wrong, you'd get a little uptight too.

Also, very much this. I main G&W and I grew up with fighting games so I love Terry. I think ROB and WFT and Plant are wonderful wacky additions. I also stare directly into the soul of people who want to remove Roy from the game with burning fiery passion.

For some reason, it's apparently impossible for me to both be excited for another wacky character while also being somewhat disappointed it wasn't a different Nintendo character and being critical of Nintendo's current marketing with Smash.

You can be critical of things, you like guys. You can have things you don't like about things you really like and things you like about things you ultimate dislike. It's called nuance and not being one-dimensional like a lot of modern-day writing in theaters.
First of all if this discussion is giving you an aneurism then you need to leave because getting that angry over a video game is not healthy. At all.

nobody ever claimed ARMS would be splatoon levels. Stop inventing enemies my lad. ARMS is objectively a massively popular IP. Its the single most successful new fighting game IP created in the last decade. It sold at least 2.5 million copies.

Its popular and nintendo values the IP. Why wouldnt they include it in the nintendo crossover game?

Stop being salty boi

Droodle

Smash Lord
My thoughts on Geno's chances after a day of processing yesterday's Direct:
After Banjo got released and the announcement of more DLC coming I always thought it would be a full second season and even a full Fighters Pass again. And when thinking about which character could mirror Banjo's role as the longly requested character and bone for the long-time fans there really weren't that many characters left on the table. Ridley and Rool are already in. Krystal and Ashley supporters lost a lot of fire after Brawl and Isaac fans were never that vocal. The only character from that time and whose support got even acknowledged by Sakurai is Geno. The only thing that made me doubt it could be him was his spirit. If we get an answer for that in June and the ARMS character is an already represented character his chances improve significantly. If it is a rep from the current ARMS game a spirit will 100% be promoted, the only other option is a new character from a potential ARMS sequel that would get annouced simultaneously but I really see no evidence for that. Games like ARMS rarely get a sequel on the same console nowadays.
So I'm more in the camp that spirits do not deconfirm anymore. That in addition with his mii costume not returning with Hero and the lack of other viable long-time requests still not being in being makes me think one of the last 5 characters could really be him.
But we'll have to wait until June to know more.
Isaac thread was one of the biggest thread in the Smash Ultimate boards (other then Banjo Kazooie) before the direct where he got AT'd (not counting things like Ridley, K. Rool). I think Banjo was number 1, Isaac was 2, Geno was 3 before that direct. His fans were definitely vocal before release, and he was also a big request during the Smash 4 ballot days. The thread slowed down a ton after the AT/costume because that's inarguable a bigger death sentence then being spirited.

I dunno if Isaac is going to happen, there were plenty of Golden Sun collection/new Golden Sun rumors back in January and February. If they do end up being true, I think Isaac will probably be revealed in the same direct. That said, I think so far the most likely fighters to be promoted are Geno, and Rex and Pyra; just because Sakurai has personally stated that he wants them in. Geno is a huge request in the West, while Rex and Pyra are big in Japan. Isaac (unless GS Switch gets confirmed) and Waluigi (due to Nintendo of Japan completely ignoring him) are behind them.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
This post was warned for containing content that was deemed flaming/harassment.
Then tell them they're wrong without being condescending and an *** about it. If people want to keep being wrong, that's on them, but you still don't need to purposefully go out of your way to be a ****.

Well to me it's better to rip the bandage off earlier just so we don't have to keep worrying who it is.
Exactly, just like how god awful crap-tier this direct was, at least now I don't have to spend every single week until "E3" wondering if there will be a direct. I now have a definitive answer that there won't be anything for ~2.5 months and I can move the hell on already.

But no, now we have this stupid "OOH WOO, WHO COULD IT BEEEEE?! C:" bullcrap that they're pulling. Just say the freaking name and let's move on.

Also I swear if this mystery sneaky nonsense is all for Spring Man (JUST him, not with any other character), I'm gonna punch whoever was responsible in the throat. I will make it my life mission to do that.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Isaac thread was one of the biggest thread in the Smash Ultimate boards (other then Banjo Kazooie) before the direct where he got AT'd (not counting things like Ridley, K. Rool). I think Banjo was number 1, Isaac was 2, Geno was 3 before that direct. His fans were definitely vocal before release, and he was also a big request during the Smash 4 ballot days. The thread slowed down a ton after the AT/costume because that's inarguable a bigger death sentence then being spirited.

I dunno if Isaac is going to happen, there were plenty of Golden Sun collection/new Golden Sun rumors back in January and February. If they do end up being true, I think Isaac will probably be revealed in the same direct. That said, I think so far the most likely fighters to be promoted are Geno, and Rex and Pyra; just because Sakurai has personally stated that he wants them in. Geno is a huge request in the West, while Rex and Pyra are big in Japan. Isaac (unless GS Switch gets confirmed) and Waluigi (due to Nintendo of Japan completely ignoring him) are behind them.
If you're talking about threads here Banjo's thread wasn't the largest and never was. It also was never bigger than Isaac's. K Rool's was and then after he got confirmed it was Isaac's.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ARMS is flawed but it definitely has potential which is why I'm a fan. It's basically Nintendo's first take on a traditional fighter since Joy Mech Fight and I think even the developers recognize that its currently rough around the edges. The characters ooze personality and charm and the soundtrack is pretty great too. This is why it's been my hope since its release that Nintendo would stick with it even if the first game didn't do super great critically(sold several million so that definitely helps). I do compare it with Pikmin and hope, like it, the sequel is amazing because they fleshed out basic ideas from the first and covered the first game's weaknesses.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
ARMS is flawed but it definitely has potential which is why I'm a fan. It's basically Nintendo's first take on a traditional fighter since Joy Mech Fight and I think even the developers recognize that its currently rough around the edges. The characters ooze personality and charm and the soundtrack is pretty great too. This is why it's been my hope since its release that Nintendo would stick with it even if the first game didn't do super great critically(sold several million so that definitely helps). I do compare it with Pikmin and hope, like it, the sequel is amazing because they fleshed out basic ideas from the first and covered the first game's weaknesses.
Hell I was a huge fan when it first came out, but then everything felt very same-y and there weren't enough modes. That's what killed it for me. It needs more fun stuff to do than fights and a few weird minigames.

I'm not even mad we're getting an ARMS rep; I'm more confused by the choice, annoyed at the sneakiness, and will be royally pissed if it's all for SM. I'm more pissed at the abysmal direct overall.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Thid has been a lot of words, and I know how people are borderline illiterate and hate to read lengthy opinions, so if you'd like a summary, I think most of us know that sales, popularity, fan demand, etc are not deciding factors for a character getting into Smash. At worst it's a dartboard shot and in the best case scenario there might be some thought put into it. I just have a huge problem with this overwhelming tendency I see from some people that seem to think that because they're ok with [thing] means that they have some sort of moral high ground. This all stems from the same place that all Smash complaints come from, a misguided concept of what's fair or what "should have" been done. Let people complain, for Christ's sake, it's literally not hurting anyone and acting high and mighty because you don't feel the need to complain actually causes more drama and damage than if you just sat aside and let it fizzle out.
I kept looking for the right words to respond to this part of your post, since it seemed to be somewhat directed towards me, but after seeing you call people “illiterate” and “acting high and mighty”, I got a little upset.

Just because I, and several others, don’t want to read walls of text about why ARMS failed and doesn’t deserve to be in Smash, in the GENO THREAD, doesn’t mean we hate complaining and we’re illiterate. If you wanna do that, go to the general thread like mods have told us to do many times before.

It feels needlessly aggressive to label me as acting like I have the moral highground when all I’m trying to say is “hey maybe chill out when writing these posts”. Lengthy opinions are cool, I enjoy reading them, however when they have hardly anything to do with the thread’s topic and all they do is cause mods to constantly have to come in and warn people’s posts, then I have a problem.

There’s nothing wrong with complaining in this thread, we’ve all done it and I was never against that. I only asked that people stop making complaint posts that had enough hatred and anger to fuel doomguy’s romp through hell, and to at least try to keep things on topic with Geno.

It’s also not fair at all to tell us that we can’t complain about people complaining. That’s so ironic it makes my head spin. If you guys are allowed to make a ton of posts in the geno thread complaining about ARMS, how come we’re not allowed to complain about you guys derailing the thread’s topic and constantly spouting hatred towards ARMS and it’s fans, as well as Nintendo and Sakurai?

I’m not looking to continue this. This is the last thing I will say on the matter before returning to Geno and SMRPG related posts. I obviously made a mistake making that post last night if it managed to strike this much of a nerve with you and several others. Which sucks because I still really like you and what you have to say, however I fear this response will just make things worse.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Why would they give a free trial until april 6 and show all the Arms cast just to end up with an "ARMS 2" character.
Arms 2 is not going to happen. If it happens the next character will be from ARMS 1 anyways.

Also dejabú.

Edit: yeah lets talk about Geno, 77 is such a glorious number right now.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
If you're talking about threads here Banjo's thread wasn't the largest. K Rool's was and then after he got confirmed it was Isaac's.
I mentioned that I don't count Ridley or K. Rool, just because they got confirmed really early on. But yeah, you're right about me getting Isaac and Banjo mixed. Honestly speaking, from the general data across reddit, here, and some other sites, and my own memory of that time; the most requested characters right before that direct were (at the very least in the West):
1. Isaac
2. Banjo
3. Geno
4. Sora
5. Lloyd
Around those lines at the very least. Most of the data was just from unofficial polls that don't mean anything, and nowadays things would be pretty different. Needless to say, the top 5 were pretty vocally requested during those times and are still requested now (other then Banjo for obvious reasons). That's not to say they'll get in, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them end up being in this pass.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice

I think depending on which ARMS character happens will result in different outcomes in which different characters will be on the table again for Smash speculation. If it isn't Springman (arguably the face of ARMS) but another spirit character then spirits will not deconfirm but assist trophies will be a definitve deconfirm as they did not use the face of the franchise due to him already being an AT. If it is Springman then neither AT nor spirits deconfirm and MANY characters will be back o the table again with Waluigi being a frontrunner as Nintendo of America acknowledged the backlash.
I'd go as far as to say this: I don't think Geno really has any competition left from other Square Enix characters, if we get a SE rep I'm sure it would be Geno. If Springman gets in then I think the biggest rival of Geno would be Waluigi. With 5 characters left two of them being related to Mario would be a little too much. Scenario a) would be Geno with a multitude of SE costumes like Chocobo and Scenario B) would be Waluigi with some Mario based costumes like f.e. an enhanced Geno costume.
Depending on which outcome we will witness in June there will be a lot of revelations what we have to expect for the last 5 characters. It might hit the speculation scene very hard and shake up everything what we believed in.
But one thing is for sure. It will be one hell of a time for Smash speculation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom