• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
What if they reskin SpringMan's Assist Trophy to Spring Tron? So maybe the AT rule wouldn't be broken then....

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What if they reskin SpringMan's Assist Trophy to Spring Tron? So maybe the AT rule wouldn't be broken then....
They could just not have the assist appear when Spring Man is on stage. Like how the Moon doesn't appear in Great Bay or Alucard in any stage with mirrors.

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I mean... they would still be taking Spring Man, a character who is currently an Assist Trophy, and making him playable despite that. Even if they have to change the Assist Trophy version of the character into a completely different character, it would still shatter the notion that Assist Trophy characters will be stuck in that role and aren't viable for promotion in the same game.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
It absolutely would be broken because what's stopping Isaac's AT from being replaced with another GS character, Shovel Knight with Black Knight, and Waluigi with the lesser known Mario Bro, Sponge? (that last one's obviously a joke, but my point still stands)

Point is, if you replace any AT because the original one is made playable, that's 100% breaking the fanrule, and honestly, it's even *expected* if it happens, similar to how spirit battles change based on certain things (like the Cuphead one being against Cuphead Mii costume instead of Mega Man if you bought the costume).

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah... This along with the fact that according to two of my guys that 6 was basically ready to present by mid January. Coincidentally, two months later and we're probably seeing a repeat of Byleth, a character ready to present in November but wasn't released until almost February. Until we get more details it can't really be said if this was always the plan or it really was delayed because of Corona
Sorry, but with the DLC being revealed so close with Byleth (as in on par with Nintendo announcing that you can play Arms for free for a certain amount of time), I highly doubt that they were planning to show of Byleth in November. Especially since covid19 was not such a worldwide pandemic by then. It¨s, not a coincidence that Byleth of all character ended up as the last.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It absolutely would be broken because what's stopping Isaac's AT from being replaced with another GS character, Shovel Knight with Black Knight, and Waluigi with the lesser known Mario Bro, Sponge? (that last one's obviously a joke, but my point still stands)

Point is, if you replace any AT because the original one is made playable, that's 100% breaking the fanrule, and honestly, it's even *expected* if it happens, similar to how spirit battles change based on certain things (like the Cuphead one being against Cuphead Mii costume instead of Mega Man if you bought the costume).
Sponge is the hero we deserve. He will take waluigi's place in purgatory.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING

ONE TIME
People are excited over a new character announcement. A lot of people are using this thread to talk about ARMS, even though we have several threads dedicated to the subject of an ARMS character in Smash:

https://smashboards.com/threads/new...arms-character-s-for-smash-discussion.446429/
https://smashboards.com/threads/min...-arms-confirmed-for-challenger-pack-6.458779/
https://smashboards.com/threads/spr...ring-fans-lets-fill-the-spring-stands.459216/

At least with ARMS, I get why this thread (among others) would be excited, since most (if not all) of the popular characters from that game are spirits, and if a spirit gets promoted to playable status, it confirms that having a spirit in the base game isn't a barrier to someone like Geno, Elma, Rayman, Shantae, etc. getting in.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Nice that ARMS rep has the potential to finally silence all those spirit/assist trophy can not be promoted to playable character etc.. :)
This Bodes HIGHLY well for Geno. Though I do not think ARMS was originally 6. Maybe 8. Just my thoughts. :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sorry, but with the DLC being revealed so close with Byleth (as in on par with Nintendo announcing that you can play Arms for free for a certain amount of time), I highly doubt that they were planning to show of Byleth in November. Especially since covid19 was not such a worldwide pandemic by then. It¨s, not a coincidence that Byleth of all character ended up as the last.
That's not what I'm saying. We had a theory that 5 was in a presentable state in November but wasn't shown off for whatever reason. Two months later this was confirmed when we learned that Byleth's presentation was recorded in November. I'm arguing that this is potentially similar situation. 6 theoretically was complete enough to be shown off in January, backed up by two of my guys. My theory is that 6 may have been originally planned as an April release, potentially backed up by this and the upcoming rerelease of popular first party Amiibos in April.

Firox

Smash Master
A thought just occurred to me......what if the ARMS rep ISN'T a promotion? What if they choose a character that doesn't already have a spirit, costume or AT? That would actually REINFORCE the spirit's deconfirm BS! Ooooooooh, boy......

That could be really bad for Geno.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A thought just occurred to me......what if the ARMS rep ISN'T a promotion? What if they choose a character that doesn't already have a spirit, costume or AT? That would actually REINFORCE the spirit's deconfirm BS! Ooooooooh, boy......

I don't know much about ARMS, but aren't all of the popular characters already spirits, assist trophies, or Mii costumes? It seems weird for the development team to limit themselves to unpopular, unimportant, or unusual character choices because all of the popular ones have a single PNG file of them in the game.

Or they could go with one of the bosses (Max Brass or Dr. Coyle), I suppose, but that seems like an odd choice to me for some reason.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

It could, but I get the feeling it will be one of the characters already in as spirits or an assist. I don't think we have much to worry about in this regard.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

The amount of logical pick dodging we would need to get there would be legendary. The five most liked arms characters, from what I see, are all spirits in the game. I really doubt it will be some new fighter from an "arms 2" either. Pokemon can do that because it's Pokemon. Arms is still a small, new growing IP. I don't think they'd get such luxury treatment.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Edit - Honestly just delete this post if mods dont give a **** about a serial off topic poster then why should I

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regardless of whomever the ARMS rep turns out to be, I think it only means good things for Geno and any other spirit character in the base game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah I'm like 95% certain the one we get is gonna be one of the five who currently have Spirits, specifically either Spring Man or Min Min.

The other five percent is if they go for Dr. Coyle for being the main villain or Helix if they want to appeal to me specifically .

Firox

Smash Master
I don't know much about ARMS, but aren't all of the popular characters already spirits, assist trophies, or Mii costumes? It seems weird for the development team to limit themselves to unpopular, unimportant, or unusual character choices because all of the popular ones have a single PNG file of them in the game.

Or they could go with one of the bosses (Max Brass or Dr. Coyle), I suppose, but that seems like an odd choice to me for some reason.
I agree with you, but that's why I think it would be so disastrous to get someone like Max Brass. If the dev team went out of their way to bypass the most popular characters just to avoid double dipping spirits, AT's, etc., then it would actually PROVE that spirits deconfirm.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

That's why I mentioned a Murphy's Law scenario yesterday. Half of the starting roster are spirits and all 5 regularly crush popularity contest. Two are also the leads and we're literally revealed at the same time. In order for a promotion not to happen, Nintendo would have to go against more than 20 years of precedent to swerve not only the title characters but the most popular to choose someone else. On top of this, the odds are incredibly high that it would be a starting roster character too, reducing it to 5 characters: Helix, Barq, Master Mummy, Kid Cobra, and Mechanica, that aren't as popular or noteworthy. Swerving Springman/Ribbongirl would be one thing because they're the title characters and would be like swerving Mario or Link, but swerving Min-Min or Ninjara would be like swerving Peach or Luigi too to designate the first Mario rep. Like I said, ARMS has a huge firewall in place to almost guarantee the rep will be, at the very least, a spirit promotion.

D

Deleted member

That's why I mentioned a Murphy's Law scenario yesterday. Half of the starting roster are spirits and all 5 regularly crush popularity contest. Two are also the leads and we're literally revealed at the same time. In order for a promotion not to happen, Nintendo would have to go against more than 20 years of precedent to swerve not only the title characters but the most popular to choose someone else. On top of this, the odds are incredibly high that it would be a starting roster character too, reducing it to 5 characters: Helix, Barq, Master Mummy, Kid Cobra, and Mechanica, that aren't as popular or noteworthy. Swerving Springman/Ribbongirl would be one thing because they're the title characters and would be like swerving Mario or Link, but swerving Min-Min or Ninjara would be like swerving Peach or Luigi too to designate the first Mario rep. Like I said, ARMS has a huge firewall in place to almost guarantee the rep will be, at the very least, a spirit promotion.
When you put it like that, if they go with anyone who isn't currently a spirit, the dream is dead, because it illustrates the kind of hoops they have to jump through to avoid using a character who is currently a spirit.

Hot diggity dog, finally some ****ing closure.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 267340
Stop complaining about Arms and bow down to our new lord and savior. She will thrust the doors wide open for Geno to make his grand entrance.

Min min for the win win.

Just look at how popular she is

View attachment 267341
And she’d be an excellent choice for the first fully female DLC fighter, assuming a Hero-type situation is out of question.
Us, Geno and Mini Mini upon hearing the announcement of her inclusion:

Building castles in the sky baby!

D

Deleted member

Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min-Min, Ninjara, and Twintelle were my favourites of the Arms characters.

If it’s one of them that gets in or a bunch of them I’m cool with that.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Excited for a scenario where Min Min gets in. Only because it'd be funny to watch the slew of people who have been ranting and raving about "spirits deconfirm" for the past year struggling to formulate any anti-Geno arguments that make sense anymore.

Relevant characters? Nope, we got Banjo.
Widely recognizable characters? Sakurai himself said a fun character is way more important.
No "side characters"? Spring-Man is the mascot of ARMS.
Spirits deconfirm? Lolnope

At that point it'd just be angry keyboard spamming. There is nothing else they could possibly say.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
With the way, they were cheekily like "who's it gonna be" I think it will either be a new character to promote a sequel or like Hero. I think the Hero situation is the most likely and it'll likely be Springman, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara. They all are pretty similar build wise and their gimmicks can easily be used by the others to make a full moveset. Probably the rest of the ARMS cast will appear on the stage as cameos.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I heard someone make the case for Geno as not just being SMRPG rep, but repping all the Mario RPGs overall. There's barely anything for Mario and Luigi + Paper Mario in the game as is. I think if you could explain that to people, most people saying "He's just a character from 1 game 20 years ago" might change their tune.

Firox

Smash Master
When you put it like that, if they go with anyone who isn't currently a spirit, the dream is dead, because it illustrates the kind of hoops they have to jump through to avoid using a character who is currently a spirit.

Hot diggity dog, finally some ****ing closure.
THIS IS WHAT I'M SAYING. Basically, this next character will decide Geno's fate.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
How many people think that it's actually going to be a character from an "arms 2" cause honestly, that feels like a very unlikely scenario to me. I know people are just trying to keep their hopes down in case it seals Geno's fate or somthing, but I dunno, I just don't see that happening.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Heck they could pull off a Corrin 2.0 by Showing a new Arms game with new or upgraded characters and then promote those said characters as an playable character and entire spirit board.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That's not what I'm saying. We had a theory that 5 was in a presentable state in November but wasn't shown off for whatever reason. Two months later this was confirmed when we learned that Byleth's presentation was recorded in November. I'm arguing that this is potentially similar situation. 6 theoretically was complete enough to be shown off in January, backed up by two of my guys. My theory is that 6 may have been originally planned as an April release, potentially backed up by this and the upcoming rerelease of popular first party Amiibos in April.
You mean sort of like a, double reveal when Byleth, or them revealing Arms after the release of Cindering Shadows DLC?

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Let’s play a scenario out:

What if it was a character from a hypothetical ARMS 2?

Depends if the developers/ Sakurai find the character(s) appealing enough to warrant the character inclusion (a la Corrin).

But, what if it were to be Spring Man and Ribbon Girl redesigned as they appear in the hypothetical ARMS 2?

Unfortunately we have to wait and see, but to me, this is still Incredibly good for Geno’s Chances

D

Deleted member

Hoping Geno shows up after whoever the Arms character is.

Also if the Arms character is Min Min I’m down!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Let’s play a scenario out:

What if it was a character from a hypothetical ARMS 2?

Depends if the developers/ Sakurai find the character(s) appealing enough to warrant the character inclusion (a la Corrin).

But, what if it were to be Spring Man and Ribbon Girl redesigned as they appear in the hypothetical ARMS 2?

Unfortunately we have to wait and see, but to me, this is still Incredibly good for Geno’s Chances
It is hinted that the character is from the original roster due to how they teased it, so it wouldn't be a "new" character. A new design is more likely, but I kinda doubt it even with a hypothetical ARMS 2.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It is hinted that the character is from the original roster due to how they teased it, so it wouldn't be a "new" character. A new design is more likely, but I kinda doubt it even with a hypothetical ARMS 2.
Like I have mentioned before. Those clips could (potentially) be placeholders until they want to reveal Arms 2

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's really strange that people are so pessimistic that they've made up an entire new game that has not been announced or hinted at just to invent a scenario where this character is bad for Geno. Is it because they want to be mad about ARMS? Is it because they're afraid of getting hurt again with Geno? Maybe a mix of both? Either way, with the list they gave us of the possible characters and no actual game announcement, you have to make a lot of assumptions to say an "ARMS 2" character is in any way likely.

Edit Icewolff92 Icewolff92 if the character was from ARMS 2 they just wouldn't have given a list at all. No offense, but the placeholder thing is nonsense.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, as the resident overthinker, this is how I think it's going to go down... E3 is going to be a triple this year, and unlike my triple January reveal theory, this has a ton of precedent backing it up. First and foremost, we've seen this scenario before... A character teased but not properly shown off until E3. We saw this in 2015 and 2018. Lucas was revealed in April and Inkling was revealed in March, we then proceeded to get Roy and Ryu and Daisy and Ridley respectively. Also, if you look at the vast history of E3s with Smash as a focal point, 7 of the 8 had brand new reveals, 7 had at least 2 new reveals and 6 of the 8 had at least triple reveals. The odds of E3 this year being "oh bay-bee, a trep-pull" are really high because of the weird blessing of ARMS being half-assed announced.

Going off this, I'm pretty certain that 6 will be an upgrade and why Nintendo's going with the theatrics of this. 6 will be the very first promotion... And then they're going to immediately follow it up with another. A long-standing theory of mine is that Nintendo was going to promote the most wanted spirit, costume, and assist trophy and I think that's going to happen... But they're going to build up to it. ARMS promotion then the most wanted spirit, then the most wanted costume, and then the most wanted assist trophy at the end or near the end of Season 2. E3 is deliberately going to be the stage for not only the first promotion but the first most wanted promotion based on category. If I'm right, it's G ****in' G, and Nintendo is probably going to save the most wanted costume promotion and the most wanted assist trophy for a separate presentation.

TLDR; Nintendo did this on purpose to make a huge spectacle of the "no promotion" rule getting BTFO to kick off Season 2 and the most wanted spirit will likely be promoted at E3 too.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Like I have mentioned before. Those clips could (potentially) be placeholders until they want to reveal Arms 2
The Switch news feed specifically says the character is "from the ARMS game" so while it could be a redesigned ARMS character, it would be pretty blatantly lying if it's a completely new hypothetical ARMS 2 character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom