• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Apparently not, given nobody expected this. :ultpacman:
It's just really weird, not like a bad weird but just such an out of left field announcement that nobody expected. An ARMS character just didn't feel likely as DLC, it feels like a base game thing. Like, if they hadn't started working on Ultimate right after finishing Smash 4 and instead took a standard 6-7 year break and we were getting a new Smash game and they revealed Spring Man it's like "Oh, yea, of course ARMS is in, makes sense" but revealing them as DLC now just feels off I guess? I've just come to associate DLC so much with 3 specific things, stuff pushed off from base game/veterans (Plant,M2,Lucas, Roy), Third Parties, and Fire Emblem Shill Characters, that the idea of just getting what is honestly a pretty standard obvious Nintendo character addition feels odd when it really shouldn't.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Here comes the “I’m upset with the thread” post I never wanted to make because I always thought they were super dramatic:

I don’t really know why people are so upset about Nintendo advertising the game the character comes from. They did the same for Hero with DQ11, and nobody seemed to be too angry over that.

It’s a new character from a new series to Smash (well, new in terms of playable characters), isn’t this what people wanted after Byleth, a character who was criticized for representing an already overrepresented series?

Just seeing walls of text about why ARMS failed and why it doesn't deserve to be in Smash is so tiring. Just because you don’t like ARMS doesn’t mean this character being added to Smash was a mistake on Nintendo or Sakurai’s part. This was a perfectly acceptable decision. If you weren’t too jazzed about it (like me), then it’s just something you’ll have to live with.

I’m not saying this because I don’t want people to give their opinions, free speech and all that, I just want people to maybe not treat this like the end of the world? Maybe I’d like to scroll through the thread and not read 100+ lines of pure unbridled anger?

It’s the Geno thread, not the “I hate ARMS thread and here’s why”. Let’s try to keep things classy around here, yeah?

D

Deleted member

Here comes the “I’m upset with the thread” post I never wanted to make because I always thought they were super dramatic:

I don’t really know why people are so upset about Nintendo advertising the game the character comes from. They did the same for Hero with DQ11, and nobody seemed to be too angry over that.

It’s a new character from a new series to Smash (well, new in terms of playable characters), isn’t this what people wanted after Byleth, a character who was criticized for representing an already overrepresented series?

Just seeing walls of text about why ARMS failed and why it doesn't deserve to be in Smash is so tiring. Just because you don’t like ARMS doesn’t mean this character being added to Smash was a mistake on Nintendo or Sakurai’s part. This was a perfectly acceptable decision. If you weren’t too jazzed about it (like me), then it’s just something you’ll have to live with.

I’m not saying this because I don’t want people to give their opinions, free speech and all that, I just want people to maybe not treat this like the end of the world? Maybe I’d like to scroll through the thread and not read 100+ lines of pure unbridled anger?

It’s the Geno thread, not the “I hate ARMS thread and here’s why”. Let’s try to keep things classy around here, yeah?
Whether the thread is happy with ARMS or not, they can’t deny that an ARMS rep maybe an absolute win for us. Back in pre-fighter pass 2 days, people were insisting that the whole pass will be 3rd party characters especially from Reggie’s statement but we got Byleth. To this day, people keep on insisting spirits disconfirm. We need at least Springman, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjaro, or Twintelle to be playable to dethrone this rule. And it’s very likely one of them is going to be playable either default or alternate skin because all 5 of them are very popular alongside SM and RG pretty much the faces of ARMS. At least one and it totally opens the door for Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Whether the thread is happy with ARMS or not, they can’t deny that an ARMS rep maybe an absolute win for us. Back in pre-fighter pass 2 days, people were insisting that the whole pass will be 3rd party characters especially from Reggie’s statement but we got Byleth. To this day, people keep on insisting spirits disconfirm. We need at least Springman, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjaro, or Twintelle to be playable to dethrone this rule. And it’s very likely one of them is going to be playable either default or alternate skin because all 5 of them are very popular alongside SM and RG pretty much the faces of ARMS. At least one and it totally opens the door for Geno.
This is another reason why I don’t understand the backlash from this thread. This is a very, VERY good situation for us since it could potentially demolish the “spirits deconfirm” fan rule, one of the biggest thorns in our side ever since Geno was confirmed to be a spirit.

Like, of all places this was not the thread I thought would be upset right now. I don’t want to sound like I’m dunking on my GenoHomies, however some of you guys are letting your anger blind you from posssibly one of the best things to happen to us in recent times.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 11.31.01 AM.png

Might not mean much but have you guys noticed how Springman and Ribbongirl are highlighted in this shot? I know they're basically the mascots but still. One outcome could be those two with the rest being alternate costumes.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Hey guys!

With all the current spare time, I intend to make a custom Mario Kart Hot Wheels Geno ( along with other Mario characters and my girl Shantae ), but since I'm not very familiar with Geno and Mario RPG, I don't know which colors would his standard kart be painted in.
What do you say ?

mario collection.jpg

The custom ones are Mc Ballyhoo, Lochlady, Petey Piranha, Honey Queen, E.Gadd, Princess Shroob and Birdo.

Also, would giving him a Mach 8 ( the one used by Petey Piranha here ) be a good match as well ?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
View attachment 267302
Might not mean much but have you guys noticed how Springman and Ribbongirl are highlighted in this shot? I know they're basically the mascots but still. One outcome could be those two with the rest being alternate costumes.
well, they are the main two mascots of the game. That would be like making Mario and Luigu huge and making peach and daisy small in the bg

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

snip
I agree completely. I don't really get what there is to complain about with ARMS. Byleth, a gen 8 Pokemon, and to a lesser extent a Mario character (*glances at Geno*) all get hated on because muh over-representation. So we get a character from an entirely new IP , the literal only character from that franchise (and even if it's more than one via alts, that's still just one character, one slot, one moveset) and yet, complaints?

Sure. ARMS wasn't the most successful game. Sometimes, though, that's the point in adding a character to Smash. Sometimes series could use a little more love, and ARMS is one of em. Marth and Roy were added to Melee to bring attention to Fire Emblem in the west, same for Hero and DQ. Shulk helped Xenoblade get the love it needed. Now, it's ARMS' turn to grab the baton.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People here keep saying ARMS wasn't successful and I really have to wonder what your barometer for success is.

ARMS sold two million units. For a brand new IP. For a brand new fighting game IP. For a brand new fighting game IP from a studio with no experience making fighting games.

ARMS was absolutely a success, and to say otherwise is, frankly, ludicrous. People see Splatoon's numbers and somehow think that's the norm for a new series. News flash, it isn't. Splatoon is by all means an outlier.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Hey guys!

With all the current spare time, I intend to make a custom Mario Kart Hot Wheels Geno ( along with other Mario characters and my girl Shantae ), but since I'm not very familiar with Geno and Mario RPG, I don't know which colors would his standard kart be painted in.
What do you say ?

View attachment 267305
The custom ones are Mc Ballyhoo, Lochlady, Petey Piranha, Honey Queen, E.Gadd, Princess Shroob and Birdo.

Also, would giving him a Mach 8 ( the one used by Petey Piranha here ) be a good match as well ?
He's a wooden doll wearing a blue cloak that has a yellow collar. So make it look like the University of Michigan.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
People here keep saying ARMS wasn't successful and I really have to wonder what your barometer for success is.

ARMS sold two million units. For a brand new IP. For a brand new fighting game IP. For a brand new fighting game IP from a studio with no experience making fighting games.

ARMS was absolutely a success, and to say otherwise is, frankly, ludicrous. People see Splatoon's numbers and somehow think that's the norm for a new series. News flash, it isn't. Splatoon is by all means an outlier.
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't successful. 2 million is very good imo. I've just seen people complain that it was less successful than this or that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't successful. 2 million is very good imo. I've just seen people complain that it was less successful than this or that.
Oh I didn't even mean you, honestly lol. I meant it more toward the (weirdly high amount of) people on Smashboards trying to call the game a flop. :p

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Reminds me of a certain asshat named Grapevine in the PapaGenos server...so you know what that means for you, right? ;)
Um, no? Why would I? I don’t like PapaGenos and I don’t use Discord.

Regardless, I’ll be “antagonistic” then—I’m stating a fact too. ARMS is a Nintendo game that didn’t yet have a character in Smash. Could it have been another Nintendo character? Sure. But it’s not, so how about you stop whining about “muh sales”, when that’s literally never mattered. It’s a Nintendo character being put into a Nintendo crossover game.

It’s ironic you say I’m being antagonistic when you go on to call people “wannabe intellectuals” and pretty much claim your opinion is the only one that matters.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Oh I didn't even mean you, honestly lol. I meant it more toward the (weirdly high amount of) people on Smashboards trying to call the game a flop.:p
Yeah for me i just think it wasn't a big enough success for nintendo to make a new game for a mere 3 years after its release and on the same console.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah for me i just think it wasn't a big enough success for nintendo to make a new game for a mere 3 years after its release and on the same console.
That's exactly what they did for Pikmin though, and Pikmin sold significantly less than ARMS when it first came out.

D

Deleted member

On top of this every DLC spirit board has had at least 7 spirits and there's currently 10 playable characters from ARMS that don't have spirits at all so that practically writes itself. Other stuff to consider:

-Spring Man and Ribbongirl were literally revealed to the world at the exact same time:

-5 of the characters were DLC with 2 being bosses and 1 basically being "Metal Spring Man." It likely won't be any of them.

-Ninjara was also present since the very first trailer.

-Here's the back of the box:

View attachment 267207

Oh look~, Spring Man and Ribbongirl are dead center in almost every screenshot (except the one with Ninjara and Min-Min, HUH; IMAGINE THAT~) and literally in the middle of the character roster at the top.

Like I said, for 6 to not be a promotion, they would have to swerve the characters that literally launched the franchise. That would be like if Metaknight had come before Kirby or Louie/Alph before Olimar or Corrin before Marth. It has never happened before (knock on wood) but they always do the main character/s that launched the series before they go into side characters and villains.
To add on to this, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara are front and center in most promotional art I've seen for ARMS. They're undeniably some of the most popular characters and were designed to be such - they have the kind of tame but also eye-popping design that main characters get. There's another Nintendo franchise with no real "story" mode, but a character that gets recognized as the "main" guy, despite the fact that it's more about the competition than it is about any of the competitors, and these four characters keep getting singled out...
fzero.png fzerogx.jpeg fzerox.jpeg

Same energy. ARMS is fortunate in comparison to F-Zero, in that the big four have the same body type and the same abilities.

I agree completely. I don't really get what there is to complain about with ARMS. Byleth, a gen 8 Pokemon, and to a lesser extent a Mario character (*glances at Geno*) all get hated on because muh over-representation. So we get a character from an entirely new IP , the literal only character from that franchise (and even if it's more than one via alts, that's still just one character, one slot, one moveset) and yet, complaints?

Sure. ARMS wasn't the most successful game. Sometimes, though, that's the point in adding a character to Smash. Sometimes series could use a little more love, and ARMS is one of em. Marth and Roy were added to Melee to bring attention to Fire Emblem in the west, same for Hero and DQ. Shulk helped Xenoblade get the love it needed. Now, it's ARMS' turn to grab the baton.
Posts like this confuse the hell out of me. What is it that people don't get about the fact that no one's complaining about ARMS because it's not Fire Emblem or Pokemon?

"I don't get why people complain about COVID-19, it's not drug-resistant tuberculosis!"

The initial reaction is so much better than the initial reaction to Byleth it's insane, and yet people still feel the need to point out how it's not all about popularity or whatever, or how ARMS needs love too... but there's Nintendo franchises that have a huge, vocal fan following that need just as much love that aren't getting it. People have a right to be confused and even upset that a character from the previously mentioned F-Zero, or someone like Isaac, franchises that haven't seen a game in a decade or more, aren't getting that baton pass.

I come from an era where if a game sold a million copies, it got a special re-release and was considered a massive commercial success, but for better or for worse, times change. Nowadays, I'm not sure if I'd call 2.1 million sales in a year a success. ARMS released three months after the Switch, which, in typical Nintendo fashion, released with a very bare lineup of games. 1-2-Switch is a forgettable tech demo in comparison to Wii Sports (and was bundled with the console for a good while), and if I remember correctly from my recent research, a lot of ARMS sales were from that first month. Of course it sold well, it was a game on a relatively barren console, but it had the misfortune of having to compete with Breath of the Wild, the Mario Kart 8 port, and Splatoon 2 that released less than a month later. I gave the game a chance, so I'm not talking out of my ass when I say that the gameplay (you know, the important part) doesn't carry it in the face of those games. [WARNING: OPINION] It's not fun [END OPINION]. Oh, and for the record? In the same amount of time as ARMS managed 2.1 million, the Switch itself sold 15 million. Only 13% of Switch owners felt like giving ARMS a chance.

Nintendo tried to push an esports focused game and it flopped compared to their other esports focused title, and Nintendo admits it - how many ARMS Invitationals have they held? This is why I say they probably have no intention of making ARMS 2 - there's no reason to put more money into a new IP that just didn't do so hot. Sticking a rep into Smash helps them cash in a bit more on the IP without actually working on it - millions of Smash owners will likely purchase this fighter, thousands of those being competitive players who have no option but to purchase it. To put that into perspective for you, more people will buy the ARMS fighter in Smash than bought ARMS. Being fair, though, that probably holds true for every fighter in the first Fighters Pass, barring Hero.

This has been a lot of words, and I know how people are borderline illiterate and hate to read lengthy opinions, so if you'd like a summary, I think most of us know that sales, popularity, fan demand, etc are not deciding factors for a character getting into Smash. At worst it's a dartboard shot and in the best case scenario there might be some thought put into it. I just have a huge problem with this overwhelming tendency I see from some people that seem to think that because they're ok with [thing] means that they have some sort of moral high ground. This all stems from the same place that all Smash complaints come from, a misguided concept of what's fair or what "should have" been done. Let people complain, for Christ's sake, it's literally not hurting anyone and acting high and mighty because you don't feel the need to complain actually causes more drama and damage than if you just sat aside and let it fizzle out.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I mean it is possible, but still extremely unlikely imo. I think people are just looking for reasons to be upset by the smash reveal, and saying that this franchise getting representation is just shilling for a new game that hasn't even been revealed is a way they do it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean it is possible, but still extremely unlikely imo. I think people are just looking for reasons to be upset by the smash reveal, and saying that this franchise getting representation is just shilling for a new game that hasn't even been revealed is a way they do it.
It¨s not that weird to belive that the Arms rep could be a sequel advertisement
3 years since the game released (which is within a timeframe that a sequel could be close to finnished) -> they did not show who it is -> right after the "reveal", they said that you would be able to play it for free if you have the pass -> June is usually a month that you reveal some of the bigger games.

And it would stink if the character we get is a "sequel character" concidering that would not destroy any fan theory (I don¨t get the point of calling them fan rules....) since we (if a sequel is arriving) have nothing sequel related..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

3 years since the game released (which is within a timeframe that a sequel could be close to finnished) -> they did not show who it is -> right after the "reveal", they said that you would be able to play it for free if you have the pass -> June is usually a month that you reveal some of the bigger games.

And it would stink if the character we get is a "sequel character" concidering that would not destroy any fan theory (I don¨t get the point of calling them fan rules....) since we (if a sequel is arriving) have nothing sequel related..
It's not weird, but it's based on fear rather than facts. I think for the ARMS rep to be a character from a hypothetical ARMS 2, we have to assume that, despite the developers not planning for a sequel in 2018 (source), as of E3 2019 when we have reason to believe this second wave of DLC was greenlit, there was an ARMS 2 in development and Sakurai had to pick a character from it. That's not outside of the realm of possibility, since Sakurai does pick Pokemon based on "well he looks cool", and ARMS is the kind of game where looking cool is just about all that matters, but it feels a little unlikely in the case of ARMS.

If an ARMS character is advertising ARMS 2, so be it, I was wrong, nothing new - but I think that it'll still be the iconic characters from the first, rather than mystery man from the sequel that we have heard nothing about. If a character like Spring Man breaks all the rules, or even if Min Min breaks the spirits assumption and shows that fan input can determine a Smash character, who cares if they're an advertisement? We'd be stoked to see Isaac advertise the Golden Sun sequel we've been speculating about for what feels like forever, and Geno can come in and advertise our collective wood a Nintendo/Square Mario crossover.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

I still don't understand this idea. Why would they change their mascot character after one game? It makes no sense. It would make sense if ARMS was a game like FE or an RPG or something that would have a main character shift each game. Even if there is ARMS 2 Spring Man is still going to be the mascot and if they don't choose the mascot as the fighter then it still breaks a fan rule. I understand if people aren't happy with this character choice. Rex would have made more sense to coincide with the Xenoblade announcement and there are other fan demanded characters that have been waiting in line far longer than an ARMS character so I get that, but this specific issue is something that people are worrying over nothing about. People can be upset about the choice sure and there are plenty more than 6 better options imo as well, but let's not be upset or worried over literally nothing.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
or even if Min Min breaks the spirits assumption and shows that fan input can determine a Smash character
This would actually mean a lot for Geno, given that she's not a mascot character and was picked over both mascots because she's more popular. Geno sure as hell isn't a mascot character, y'know?

Either way though, as long as Sakurai/Nintendo doesn't troll the ARMS fans, we're very likely to get a spirit promotion.

PS: Didn't think of it yesterday, but if we're getting 2 characters, it absolutely could be SM and RG, but another possibility is NJ and MM, as they're the most popular male and female in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This would actually mean a lot for Geno, given that she's not a mascot character and was picked over both mascots because she's more popular. Geno sure as hell isn't a mascot character, y'know?

Either way though, as long as Sakurai/Nintendo doesn't troll the ARMS fans, we're very likely to get a spirit promotion.

PS: Didn't think of it yesterday, but if we're getting 2 characters, it absolutely could be SM and RG, but another possibility is NJ and MM, as they're the most popular male and female in the game.
We're getting all four and we're going to like it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
... wait guys I think I figured it out; I think I get why they're delaying the true reveal. It's because it's NOT Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl!

Think about it: People who don't know ARMS at all likely know SM and RG, right? So it would make sense to put them in so people who have no idea can be like "oh okay it's the mascots of the game". Instead, they want to put in someone like Min Min and/or Ninjara, who people that have never played the game might not have a clue. So, they're delaying the reveal, pushing a free trial so people can get associated with these non-mascot characters, know who they are, and then they reveal Min Min, the winner of the Crash Bash thing, with possibly Ninjara as a Hero-esque alt, but don't get hung up on that detail.

That's the only reason I can think of them not wanting to reveal the fighter, since you can just reveal the fighter without any gameplay or even a model in-game if you wanted to, yet they chose to do it this way.

We're getting all four and we're going to like it.
TBH I'm significantly less convinced we're getting SM and RG now. There'd be no reason to delay the reveal if we were getting the mascots.
Of course, I've been plenty wrong before, so maybe this is wishful thinking I'm more wrong and we will get the mascots too (since RG is one of my favorites and if I can't have TT, I'd be happy to get RG at least), but yeah, it's the only thing I can think of.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see people predicting the same 4 characters that I was predicting yesterday. :roll:

Anyway, I'm not worried about Smash stuff like other people are. I'm more worried about Nintendo's lineup for the second half of 2020 since uh... it currently consists of jack and ****. But June should bring some good news. Hopefully...

Firox

Smash Master
To play a little devil's advocate, I wanted to point out the merits on both sides of this new ARMS revelation:

1) The debate of ARMS's success- On one side of the argument, you have people asserting that the game itself was not very success and that it was generally "meh" from a gameplay perspective. The game sold over 2.2 million units which is definitely significant, however, it is worth noting that such numbers barely scratch their way into the top 20 games sold on Switch. Metacritic gave the game a score of 77/100 with "generally favorable" reviews. So the fact of the matter is that the game was definitely not a "flop", however the franchise overall was somewhat lack luster. The counter point is that the game was some sort of resounding success that obviously deserved a spot in Smash for whatever accolades it achieved. Looking at both sides objectively, I would reason that anyone bitter about ARMS inclusion is due to the fact that

A) Regardless of ARMS relative success, there are other far more successful and popular franchises that were glossed over instead. This some would find worrisome for fan demanded characters like Geno because it suggests that Nintendo is more concerned with nurturing it's own IP's than appeasing the fanbase. Granted, there will always be SOMEONE that is elated for ANYTHING, but at the same time, it's not unreasonable for some people to find ARMS's inclusion off-putting and ominous.

B) They probably never played the game in the first place, hence they have no attachment to the franchise.

2) The implications of adding an ARMS character - This second part of the argument is probably the more interesting part because it leaves personal bias behind and focuses more on speculation.

The Pros:
-A spirit/costume/AT promotion would destroy the last bastion of fan rule gatekeeping and alleviate Geno's last logical obstacle
-Another 1st part character could herald the first of what will be a mainly Nintendo-focused fighter pass which could bode well for what is essentially a Mario spin-off character
-Previously glossed over characters like Rex and Pyra could potentially get in as well if Springman/Ribbon Girl get in because it would demonstrate that anything, including games whose timing wasn't opportune for base game development, could get in
-More AT's like Isaac and Shadow could be back on the table

The Cons:
-If the pass ends up strictly 1st party (which we have reason to believe it WON'T), then that could actually hurt Geno's chances since he's owned by SE
-If Nintendo decides to prioritize only the franchises it sees to be lucrative in the future, then that could also hurt Geno because then they would likely choose an SE franchise that they believe could successfully port to Switch.
-The choice, timing and sorry reveal of an ARMS character suggests that Sakurai really ISN'T in control here and that Nintendo really does have him on a leash for this next pass. If so, that could either be really good or really bad. The potential good is that Nintendo could override Sakurai's previous anti-biases and add characters that would never happen otherwise (like Waluigi), however, the potential bad would be that Nintendo could curb stop characters that Sakurai would have personally wanted (llike Geno) in favor of pushing their own agenda. Interestingly, though, despite Sakurai's claims of liking Geno and saying what a good fit he'd be, Geno is STILL not in the game. We don't know for sure whose fault that is exactly, but Nintendo's intervention could finally seal Geno's inclusion (or doom it to oblivion).

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Anyway, I'm not worried about Smash stuff like other people are. I'm more worried about Nintendo's lineup for the second half of 2020 since uh... it currently consists of jack and ****. But June should bring some good news. Hopefully...
Yeah for sure. I'm assuming the virus screwed everything up and I'm glad we got a direct... albeit a terrible one, but at least now I can stop being like "OMG DIRECT THIS WEEK?!" and all. At this point though, it's June or bust for Nintendo's year since the first half is basically done (unless we get reveals into releases in late June).

-If the pass ends up strictly 1st party (which we have reason to believe it WON'T)
Reminder about the whole thing Sakurai said regarding being unable to go to other publishers due to the virus. That's like 99.9% evidence that we will get at minimum 1 3rd party character, but likely more.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Reminder about the whole thing Sakurai said regarding being unable to go to other publishers due to the virus. That's like 99.9% evidence that we will get at minimum 1 3rd party character, but likely more.
That's exactly what I was referencing when I said we have reason to believe it WON'T be only 1st party. We are pretty much guaranteed at least one 3rd party character.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
That's exactly what I was referencing when I said we have reason to believe it WON'T be only 1st party. We are pretty much guaranteed at least one 3rd party character.
I figured you were, but for people who forgot/don't know, I was just painfully pointing it out =)

Edit: Found the article:
In my case, specifically, I was scheduled to give a presentation to a publisher on our plans for a certain new fighter; however the key parties were not able to get together, so it’s been postponed indefinitely.
So unless this fighter is just being cancelled (I doubt it, they'll probs just be #11 or be delayed even further past 2021 if necessary), it's guaranteed to be 3rd party, so it's not even "likely"/"evidence to think that", it's a guarantee straight from the man himself.

The bad thing is that if it's Geno... :(

Edit: PapaGenos posted a speculation video regarding the ARMS fighter, and he had this one veeeeeery interesting bit I totally forgot about (linked to the relevant time):
If you can't watch the video, he's talking about how Bayonetta had those glitches which implies the next character could be based off of her, claiming it could be Twintelle. Body types are similar, both have time mechanics, hair, etc. Assuming the glitch thing is legit for the sake of the next character, it coooould be her? I'm still partially thinking it's her because female +1 and the 0-1 black characters in Smash (she's the first if you don't count Ganondorf).

Last edited:
So the next rep is from ARMS? Unexpected, but I'm cool with that.

Though since my paranoid brain just loves to be paranoid, I can't shake off the (rather unlikely, I highly doubt at least one of the Spirited Away characters won't be present, seeing as they're the most popular and all) probability that they specifically go out of their way to choose a less popular, more unknown character from the game just because they don't already have a spirit/Assist Trophy. That would be kinda crushing in the worst way and honestly a bit rage inducing, and I'd just give up hope altogether. Worst part is, we'll have to wait 3 whole months to find out who it is for some reason. It's almost like some higher force is toying with me on purpose, XD

Anyways, that's it for "Just a Random Scrub's dumb thoughts" for today

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I'm still partially thinking it's her because female +1 and the 0-1 black characters in Smash (she's the first if you don't count Ganondorf).
I'm don't know if Ganondorf counts. His skin actually looks kind of green and he's got red hair.....wait....are he and Bowser related? They DID look pretty chummy in Subspace Emissary...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm going to say it one more time. The Hero treatment is not happening. You guys know that different animations and taunts make the character an echo right? That's why Daisy and Dark Samus are echoes and not alts. Do you really see a scenario in which Springman, Ninjara, Ribbon girl, and Min Min all have the exact same animations? Taunts as well. Do you really think they can justify the stoic Ninjara and the girly girl ribbon girl having the exact same taunts as Springman? It would not work at all. That's not Even mentioning how horribly they would each be represented moveset-wise. What you guys are talking about is a bunch of echoes. Characters that are the same but have different models, animations, and taunts. These would 100% not work as alts. The only character that would work as an alt is Springtron. We're getting one ARMS character.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to say it one more time. The Hero treatment is not happening. You guys know that different animations and taunts make the character an echo right? That's why Daisy and Dark Samus are echoes and not alts. Do you really see a scenario in which Springman, Ninjara, Ribbon girl, and Min Min all have the exact same animations? Taunts as well. Do you really think they can justify the stoic Ninjara and the girly girl ribbon girl having the exact same taunts as Springman? It would not work at all. That's not Even mentioning how horribly they would each be represented moveset-wise. What you guys are talking about is a bunch of echoes. Characters that are the same but have different models, animations, and taunts. These would 100% not work as alts. The only character that would work as an alt is Springtron. We're getting one ARMS character.
While I agree that I don’t think a Hero situation would work well, it’s worth pointing out that Byleth and Byleth do have different animations and taunts, so it is possible for alts to be slightly different.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
What differences are there? I haven't seen any.
Different idle animations, different taunts, different victory animations—completely unique between the two. Basically anything that doesn’t directly affect gameplay is fair game.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Different idle animations, different taunts, different victory animations. Basically anything that doesn’t directly affect gameplay is fair game
That's straight up not true. I play both versions of Byleth frequently. They have the same idle animations, taunts, and victory animations.

D

Deleted member

... wait guys I think I figured it out; I think I get why they're delaying the true reveal. It's because it's NOT Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl!

Think about it: People who don't know ARMS at all likely know SM and RG, right? So it would make sense to put them in so people who have no idea can be like "oh okay it's the mascots of the game". Instead, they want to put in someone like Min Min and/or Ninjara, who people that have never played the game might not have a clue. So, they're delaying the reveal, pushing a free trial so people can get associated with these non-mascot characters, know who they are, and then they reveal Min Min, the winner of the Crash Bash thing, with possibly Ninjara as a Hero-esque alt, but don't get hung up on that detail.

That's the only reason I can think of them not wanting to reveal the fighter, since you can just reveal the fighter without any gameplay or even a model in-game if you wanted to, yet they chose to do it this way.

TBH I'm significantly less convinced we're getting SM and RG now. There'd be no reason to delay the reveal if we were getting the mascots.
Of course, I've been plenty wrong before, so maybe this is wishful thinking I'm more wrong and we will get the mascots too (since RG is one of my favorites and if I can't have TT, I'd be happy to get RG at least), but yeah, it's the only thing I can think of.
I would actually argue the opposite - there's more reason to delay it when you're planning on using Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. Remember what I always say about Nintendo trying to make good television - they really do seem to be experimenting with what makes the most hype happen, especially if it's for nothing. Let's take Byleth for example. We had to wait from September, when Terry was revealed, until January (and practically the day the character was ready to ship) to learn about Byleth, who had been done since November. Four months we slaved over who it could be - we hyped it up in a way that Nintendo could not. We watched insiders and leakers murder their own "careers" as they dug for any and all information and either met with bait or simply made things up. Those four months were a spectacle that you can't write or direct, and everyone who cares was aware of it.

If Nintendo's marketing strategy is to build hype to the very cusp, there's no way they didn't also notice the extreme amounts of dissatisfaction with how long we had to wait for any official word. Hype police can try to say that the negative reaction to Byleth is because we were so stoked for literally anyone else, but a big part of it is the fact that Nintendo made us wait so long for that. It's like standing in the longest line at the amusement park because, come on, everyone's waiting on it... and then you find out it's just the tea cup ride.

So this time, we waited about half as long from one announcement to the announcement, and they told us what to expect, but not who to expect. The release is drawn out, but the hype is renewed. There's an all new type of discussion happening where we do finally have some facts. The release being drawn out probably isn't even an issue of whether or not the character is done, this is just market research. If it's Spring Man by himself, it stings nowhere near as much as if they waited until June to tell us "here's toothpaste hair, have a blast!" and just left us with him and the knowledge that every fan theory got slinky punched into another dimension.

****, you're right. Robin, Corrin, Inkling, and Byleth could never have alternate genders because they're undeniably different people. There's probably an argument to be had that every Hero acts differently, too.

The game's basically Punch Out, ffs. The idea behind the characters is that they have whacky extendo-arms and can punch really far with a variety of goofy hands that are interchangeable. They can definitely use a default battle ready stance and be represented as individuals through voice lines or even victory animations. No one would have thought Joker's victory animation would be what it is before he was added, so don't discount the possibility that a multi-character ARMS character couldn't have different animations.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Trolling/bait
Glad to see Nintendo and Hackurai continuing to ignore gaming icons for stuff that no one wants/franchises that already have too much.

Calling it right now, the next 5 characters are:
BOTW shill(Likely another Zelda)
Pokemon DLC shill
Another FE character(we've had one ever game/dlc since melee)
MAYBE one character people actually want, but it won't be hype like B&K. It'll be something like Billy & Jimmy(but I doubt it. Sakurai seems to dislike the fans and their requests.)
And another blade user(shill for a soon release game/dlc)

Glad too see I'll be saving money by not buying this garbage pass, just like the first. Smash's roster choices have always sucked more than were good.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Im gonna guess Min Min based on the fact she won the popularity poll last year. There's no way that isn't a coincidence.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I would actually argue the opposite - there's more reason to delay it when you're planning on using Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. Remember what I always say about Nintendo trying to make good television - they really do seem to be experimenting with what makes the most hype happen, especially if it's for nothing. Let's take Byleth for example. We had to wait from September, when Terry was revealed, until January (and practically the day the character was ready to ship) to learn about Byleth, who had been done since November. Four months we slaved over who it could be - we hyped it up in a way that Nintendo could not. We watched insiders and leakers murder their own "careers" as they dug for any and all information and either met with bait or simply made things up. Those four months were a spectacle that you can't write or direct, and everyone who cares was aware of it.

If Nintendo's marketing strategy is to build hype to the very cusp, there's no way they didn't also notice the extreme amounts of dissatisfaction with how long we had to wait for any official word. Hype police can try to say that the negative reaction to Byleth is because we were so stoked for literally anyone else, but a big part of it is the fact that Nintendo made us wait so long for that. It's like standing in the longest line at the amusement park because, come on, everyone's waiting on it... and then you find out it's just the tea cup ride.

So this time, we waited about half as long from one announcement to the announcement, and they told us what to expect, but not who to expect. The release is drawn out, but the hype is renewed. There's an all new type of discussion happening where we do finally have some facts. The release being drawn out probably isn't even an issue of whether or not the character is done, this is just market research. If it's Spring Man by himself, it stings nowhere near as much as if they waited until June to tell us "here's toothpaste hair, have a blast!" and just left us with him and the knowledge that every fan theory got slinky punched into another dimension.

****, you're right. Robin, Corrin, Inkling, and Byleth could never have alternate genders because they're undeniably different people. There's probably an argument to be had that every Hero acts differently, too.

The game's basically Punch Out, ffs. The idea behind the characters is that they have whacky extendo-arms and can punch really far with a variety of goofy hands that are interchangeable. They can definitely use a default battle ready stance and be represented as individuals through voice lines or even victory animations. No one would have thought Joker's victory animation would be what it is before he was added, so don't discount the possibility that a multi-character ARMS character couldn't have different animations.
When did I say it wouldn't work because they're different people? You're making up an entire argument I didn't use. Those all work with the same animations and taunts. Gender variations are really similar. And the Heroes are all blank slates with the same build and the same abilities.

ARMS is a totally different story. They have vastly different abilities and even more vastly different personalities and movement styles. You've obviously never played ARMS if you think they're all basically the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom