• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Hold on guys, wasn't there some annoying poster named Ness that said they'd delete their account if Spirits DIDN'T deconfirm? Mmmmmm....I smell some tasty tears on the way.....

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
As appreciative I am of 6 being ARMS, I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to bow out it's first party characters in Ultimate with it. I do agree, Waluigi finally having his day would have been a satisfying ending to first party content in Ultimate which is why I entertain the idea of more, even outside the Season 2 packs. Waluigi and the rumored Iwata tribute, maybe some echoes for those hypothetical 4 I talked about earlier.
Something I think we need to consider, is that Sakurai says a lot of things. IIRC, the fan base was freaking out that Brawl would have been his last smash bros game back during the brawl days. I remember the forums saying “that’s why it says the brawl to end them all” and weird stuff like that. That he would be hesitant to confirm if there would be another smash, and look, 3 games later and here we are

But even in this game, things Sakurai had said wouldn’t happen, have happened (c’mon, Ridley for example) I wouldn’t discredit the last 4 dummy slots. Things can change. Nintendo might think they have to do something for the fans after all this, not because it’s being dragged out to the end of 2021. I still believe that’s a place holder

All I want for anyone to take away from this is plans could change, and that Nintendo only tells us what they want us to know. We don’t know the behind the scenes stuff. So let’s take this day by day, I was very surprised that ARMS is fighter 6. Springman was one of my requests and it sucked when he was shown as an assist trophy. Now there’s hope, and if it turns out that it is Springman... goodbye fan rules

Just wanted to throw in my two cents

QQS

Smash Lord
Promotions definitely seem likely, but it's still too early to say for sure. Maybe Sakurai was able to persuade Nintendo into a wacky pick and we get Helix lol. But what evidence do we have that Geno is #77? Did I miss something?
Because he is The Seven Star! ⭐

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I feel like everyone is overlooking the obvious sakurai move.... all of these on that screen are playable. 3 echoes based on “weight class”. They all have the same set of moves. Takes up one slot and a lot of dev time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, remember how Imran said Nintendo decided to do a second pass around E3 2019?
Well around that time Nintendo also finished up the results for a long-running ARMS event that was basically a popularity contest.
In the end, the winner was Min Min.
View attachment 267230
If it really is only one character and it isn't Spring Man, it will absolutely be Min Min, which is even better for us since she's a direct Spirit upgrade which opens the gate for Geno.
But I am still leaning towards Hero v2.
I'm pretty sure I already shared this post but, galaxy brained moment, this happened in late June and the Geno/Crash stuff started happening in July... Holy **** if this is where the ****in' rainbow ends after all this time.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hold on guys, wasn't there some annoying poster named Ness that said they'd delete their account if Spirits DIDN'T deconfirm? Mmmmmm....I smell some tasty tears on the way.....
Not until we know for sure. Even then, they really don't need to do that.

I'm pretty sure I already shared this post but, galaxy brained moment, this happened in late June and the Geno/Crash stuff started happening in July... Holy **** if this is where the ****in' rainbow ends after all this time.
ARMS, Geno and Crash would be an amazing first half of the DLC pass, not gonna lie.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, guys, with June less than three months away, and the Direct Mini just happening today, what do we do now?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I haven't played ARMS but the more I think about this new character the more I get excited for them and for Geno's chances. Oddly enough, while most people have had their pessimism turned up to 11 during these dark times, my hopes for Geno have been getting steadily more optimistic and I think this was the push I needed to really go over the divide to finally be on the more optimistic side of things. I mean first of all, it's so cool that if the character ends up being Spring Man/Ribbon Girl then it destroys arguments against Geno's chances. Second, if it's a Bowser Jr situation then it's highly probably that one will be a promotion and in general is just really exciting and cool and would suggest a lot more work is going into these characters than FP1. Third, if it is somehow not one of the main or promotion characters then it destroys an entirely different fan rule about what kinds of characters can be DLC and be the first representative for their franchise. No matter what we come out ahead. Some kind of fan rule gets broken here. I know people are bringing up ARMS 2 but honestly it makes no sense whatsoever to change your IPs mascot after only one game and we haven't seen a shill on that level before not that I'd put it past Nintendo but still. I still don't think Geno's a lock but guys I'm telling you this character choice really is excellent because of how much it opens speculation and gives me hope for the rest of the pass. That being said, I still am not going to preorder the pass until I see more, but this was an excellent way to open speculation. Now if only more info could make me feel more confident in my top 3 (Geno, Rayman, Crash - especially Rayman still looks like he ain't gonna make it). Sure we didn't get "the big one" or really any big announcements and the Smash reveal was vague and lackluster but the franchise choice itself was the push I needed to stop being such a pessimistic jerk.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's certainly getting more and more exciting after the longest info drought for Nintendo content ever.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1144243992998998016
I know this has been talked about before, but I wanna throw in my 2 cents on this topic. The timing of this event is suspicious as ****. We know Pass 2 was green lit around E3 2019, so late June would make perfect sense to hold a popularity contest to see who gets the invite. Not to mention, July (right after this event finished) is when the evidence for Geno began to amass
Now, the main thing I came here to say. As a Splatoon fan, I can say Nintendo's done this before. Splatoon has a thing called Splatfests which usually pit one team against the other for a Saturday each month (Cats V Dogs, Vampires V Werewolves, Waffles V Pancakes, etc). The final Splatfest for Splatoon 1 was Callie V Marie, the game's 2 hosts. Marie ended up winning the final fest and is the player's guide in Splatoon 2's story mode while Callie was relegated to the role of final boss (Though, they did have an update to add her to Octovalley a bit later, if you'd beaten the final boss. I'd say spoiler alert, but this game has been out for almost 3 years). Anyhow, it was very obvious that Marie got the more prominent role in 2 because she ended up winning the Final Splatfest. I think this could be the case for Min Min in Smash. Even if the poll wasn't for Smash and was actually just for who takes prominence in Arms 2 (if that's gonna be a thing), it still boosts Min Min's chances drastically.
So, unless something else comes to light, I'm betting Arms character will probably be Min Min.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Something I forgot to mention:

That ARMS event? It started in November, when the first pass's lineup was set in stone.
It's possible that Nintendo wanted ARMS in Smash for a long time.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1243206075236614144

"Who will it be?" "This mystery fighter"

This truly can't just be Springman.
Still hate the way they say "this" fighter. Hoping we get punk'd and they pull a Hero.

An E3 direct with Geno's reveal trailer & a Crash Bandicoot "Terry like" reveal would be pretty ideal.
Now let's figure out how to stuff them in the SAME trailer like Kencineroar.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1144243992998998016
I know this has been talked about before, but I wanna throw in my 2 cents on this topic. The timing of this tournament is suspicious as ****. We know Pass 2 was green lit around E3 2019, so late June would make perfect sense to hold a popularity contest to see who gets the invite. Not to mention, July (right after this tournament finished) is when the evidence for Geno began to amass
Now, the main thing I came here to say. As a Splatoon fan, I can say Nintendo's done this before. Splatoon has a gimmick called Splatfests which usually pit one team against the other for a Saturday each month (Cats V Dogs, Vampires V Werewolves, Waffles V Pancakes, etc). The final Splatfest for Splatoon 1 was Callie V Marie, the game's 2 hosts. Marie ended up winning the final fest and is the player's guide in Splatoon 2's story mode while Callie was relegated to the role of final boss (Though, they did have an update to add her to Octovalley a bit later, if you'd beaten the final boss. I'd say spoiler alert, but this game has been out for almost 3 years). Anyhow, it was very obvious that Marie got the more prominent role in 2 because she ended up winning the Final Splatfest. I think this could be the case for Min Min in Smash. Even if the poll wasn't for Smash and was actually just for who takes prominence in Arms 2 (if that's gonna be a thing), it still boosts Min Min's chances drastically.
So, unless something else comes to light, I'm betting Arms character will probably be Min Min.
TL;DR: Gen 8 rep will likely be Dragapult, with Toxtricity as a backup if Dragapult doesn't work.

Assuming Geno's in for "E3", I do hope he'll be revealed first (right after the ARMS character), as character 77 for the "Seven Stars rep" would be a neat little bonus nod.

Also remember how we were thinking about if they would do a triple reveal (or a 2.5 reveal) for June? What if they reveal the ARMS character in a Sakurai video in May? Just because they're being RELEASED in June doesn't mean they have to be revealed then too. That would open up for 2 reveals in E3 without that messy "half reveal".

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
TL;DR: Gen 8 rep will likely be Dragapult, with Toxtricity as a backup if Dragapult doesn't work.
I don't think a Gen 8 rep will happen lol. That Google poll was held around half a year after pass 2 was decided, not to mention, I think getting a spirit or spirit event from your game any time after ~June 2019 is pretty much a deconfirmation. And SwSh got a spirit event in late 2019

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Also remember how we were thinking about if they would do a triple reveal (or a 2.5 reveal) for June? What if they reveal the ARMS character in a Sakurai video in May? Just because they're being RELEASED in June doesn't mean they have to be revealed then too. That would open up for 2 reveals in E3 without that messy "half reveal".
I think the Direct said they'd be revealed and released in June

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, this isn't for something like Arms 2. They're starting to do events in the game again, after stopping back in June of last year. Why would they if they were working on a sequel? Not to mention the fact that they're making it pretty clear it's one of the 15 characters from Arms they showed, even on the Smash Website right now it's just "A fighter from Arms". It just seems like they're interested in trying to revive the game. I'd reserve making any assumptions until we hear Sakurai talk about it himself though, I have a feeling there might be a little more going on, and thankfully we should get a column next week about it.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Nintendo on us right now

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Ends up being SpringMan
Ffs could you IMAGINE?

Idk, the way they're doing this half reveal makes me think it'll end up being another Hero/Jr. situation, or like a pack of echoes: Spring Man is the "main" character (e.g., Simon to Richter), but RG, TT, MM, and NJ are all echoes of him with slight differences, like one special is different, likely their UpB recoveries: Spring Man does a big bounce, Ribbon Girl does a few extra jumps, Twintelle does her floaty time stop thing that lets her get distance (and freeze/slow time around her), Min Min does a flying kick that reflects attacks (and moves her forward and/or up), and Ninjara does a teleport, a la Sheik or Palutena.

Based on how this thread is acting I think the first image is more accurate than the second one for the Geno fanbase.
Nah not really. I'm one of the most disappointed in here and even I don't feel that way. It's just a very "eh.." reveal. The reveal was weak as hell and it could just end up being basic *****, boring ass, Spring Man. All this mystery for no reason.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
By the way I just gathered all the character movesets I've worked on so figured I would throw it out if anyone wants to see them they can message me. I have Geno, Frisk, Rayman, Crash, Spyro, Master Chief and of course Sirfetch'd.

I also came across my letter for the letter writing campaign when I was gathering things together and it was really cool to reread that. I'm really glad I was able to be a part of that and the current fundraiser.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Ffs could you IMAGINE?

Nah not really. I'm one of the most disappointed in here and even I don't feel that way. It's just a very "eh.." reveal. The reveal was weak as hell and it could just end up being basic *****, boring ass, Spring Man. All this mystery for no reason.
Pretty much how most people, including 95% of this thread are reacting to it. It was a eh, or a "cool" choice for the majority of players. Not very salt/hype inducing. The fanbase that was the most reactive as far as I can tell, other then the ARMS fanbase; was the Rex and Pyra fanbase on twitter.

Regardless, this most likely means positives for Geno. If Springman, Min Min, Twintelle, Ninjara, or Ribbon Girl get in, it'll kill the dumb "spirits deconfirm" fan-rule (most fan-rules in general will be hit).

That said, if on the small chance they go for a character other then those, it will probably end up supporting the Spirits deconfirm fan-rule even more; which isn't really good to say the least. Dr. Coyle and Helix are also decently popular within the ARMS fanbase, and they could end up making the cut instead of the others. And even then, game-specific popularity isn't the end all be all of who gets chosen, as this thread has told me many times.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Based on how this thread is acting I think the first image is more accurate than the second one for the Geno fanbase.
That’s because people are spiraling and performing the most negative mental gymnastics possible rather than taking a step back and seeing how this could be a positive thing as has happened before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like it has to be more than Springman. Something's up. Why would they tease it 2 1/2 months in advance and force the longest waiting period in Smash DLC since 2015? Joker was teased roughly 4 1/2 months in advance but at least they were to the point about it. It's like...

"A new Mario character is coming and we're not telling you who!"

(3 months later)

"It's Mario!"

I'm thinking 2/4/8. Either we're getting a male and female, 2 males and 2 females, or 8 characters. Decided to look into it and a good chunk of the cast are relatively close when it comes to height and weight:

Springman/Springtron (basically robot Springman but oddly the same weight), Ribbongirl, Min-Min, Ninjara, Twintelle, Kid Cobra, Lola-Pop, and Dr. Coyle.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
That’s because people are spiraling and performing the most negative mental gymnastics possible rather than taking a step back and seeing how this could be a positive thing as has happened before.
Smash Fans theorizing on how any piece of news deconfirms Geno again:
1585272164481.png

Smash fans theorizing pretty much everything else:
1585272179278.png

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'm thinking 2/4/8. Either we're getting a male and female, 2 males and 2 females, or 8 characters. Decided to look into it and a good chunk of the cast are relatively close when it comes to height and weight:
So basically:
- Spring Man and Ribbon Girl: Likely for the 2.
- Ninjara and Min Min: For the 4.
- Twintelle, Kid Cobra, Lola-Pop, and... ??? (Springtron for "4/4 M/F", Dr. Coyle for "a pick that people like better"): For the 8. I could also see Helix being the 8th as people do generally like him(?).

I assume you're also talking about a Hero/Bowser Jr., yeah? I think this would make a lot more people happy as opposed to 1 character, even though it'll feel weird having characters do thing not normally for them, but hey, Ness doesn't normally cast any of those attacking PSI moves in Earthbound and Simon doesn't normally have Richter's moves, so...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I heard the news

If it’s spring man/Ruben girl/min min/twintelle/ninjara

I can safely so the spirits can’t be playable arguement will finally be defeated and geno is almost unstoppable

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I feel like it has to be more than Springman. Something's up. Why would they tease it 2 1/2 months in advance and force the longest waiting period in Smash DLC since 2015? Joker was teased roughly 4 1/2 months in advance but at least they were to the point about it. It's like...

(3 months later)

"It's Mario!"

Springman/Springtron (basically robot Springman but oddly the same weight), Ribbongirl, Min-Min, Ninjara, Twintelle, Kid Cobra, Lola-Pop, and Dr. Coyle.
That is the best case scenario being either 2/4/8 idea. If it is just spring man ... then why didn't they just wait to announce it? If it isn't spring man ... it would also be, odd, since the "main face" of the franchise is not the chosen fighter.

I am not going by popularity, just who the most prominent is from the creator of the game. (there's a robot version of him at that.)

So either we are getting multiple ARM fighters into one, ala Bowser Jr. and Hero ... or a Sequel/DLC thing.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

(3 months later)

"It's Mario!"

The fact that they aren't revealing anything about the character aside from them being from ARMS is just super weird. Character is out in 2-3 months, they have to be basically done right? Banjo was done complete with a trailer 2-3 months before they released, Terry had a model, trailer, and some gameplay 2 months before he came out, why would they not have anything to show? The Sakurai presentations are recorded well in advance anyway. It makes me think SOMETHING has to be up here.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300

(3 months later)

"It's Mario!"

I do get this logic, but we know what the result would’ve been if there was no Smash announcement at all. Everyone would have been mad as hell. Maybe they didn’t have the trailer ready, so they didn’t want to reveal who it was? It’s a real weird situation, but I think there’s still a genuine possibility it’s Spring Man. Min Min is my top choice, but I don’t know for sure.

Also, isn’t it nice knowing that Geno could be our very next reveal? That’s a really cool thought to me. And we’re promised a Direct (Smash or General) by June as long as things don’t get too much worse. The wait is literally only 3 months away.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
The fact that they aren't revealing anything about the character aside from them being from ARMS is just super weird. Character is out in 2-3 months, they have to be basically done right? Banjo was done complete with a trailer 2-3 months before they released, Terry had a model, trailer, and some gameplay 2 months before he came out, why would they not have anything to show? The Sakurai presentations are recorded well in advance anyway. It makes me think SOMETHING has to be up here.
I think it was because it was a Direct mini, they usually just elaborate on things we already knew about instead of making new reveals like normal directs. I just think they wanted to satiate Smash fans the best way they could while also not revealing the character outright.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, I was wondering...

What's going to happen to those Amiibos that were supposed to be released in April, according to Best Buy? Are they still going to be released by then or are they delayed along with Fighter 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom