• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Why would they give a free trial until april 6 and show all the Arms cast just to end up with an "ARMS 2" character.
Arms 2 is not going to happen. If it happens the next character will be from ARMS 1 anyways.

Also dejabú.

Edit: yeah lets talk about Geno, 77 is such a glorious number right now.
Have the ARMS demo as a trail with the Smash character to gain interest in the series and top off all the exposure with a new game for people sounds like a solid business plan
I mentioned that I don't count Ridley or K. Rool, just because they got confirmed really early on.
I was aware you wrote that it's just that K Rool was revealed at the halfway point to the game's release so he was the top thread for half the cycle and then Isaac was until a good couple of months into the DLC where the Geno thread finally overtook it since Isaac's thread was basically dead. So that's the only reason I mentioned him.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Direct was weak but forgivable given the circumstances. Even if it's just Springman, it's still a promotion and I think that's why Nintendo's being all doo-hoo-hoo-who-could-it-be about it. It's Nintendo killing the no promotion fan in a basic way before moving on to the promotion characters that would make waves, in my opinion.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The Direct was weak but forgivable given the circumstances. Even if it's just Springman, it's still a promotion and I think that's why Nintendo's being all doo-hoo-hoo-who-could-it-be about it. It's Nintendo killing the no promotion fan in a basic way before moving on to the promotion characters that would make waves, in my opinion.
So has the general slate of your personal predictions changed then, I'm just personally wondering. Because if you still expect Waluigi to show up eventually then it feels like someone else has to get thrown out of the 6.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
So has the general slate of your personal predictions changed then, I'm just personally wondering. Because if you still expect Waluigi to show up eventually then it feels like someone else has to get thrown out of the 6.
I think the idea is that #6 was going to be a First-Party promotion and FMOI just assumed Waluigi

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think depending on which ARMS character happens will result in different outcomes in which different characters will be on the table again for Smash speculation. If it isn't Springman (arguably the face of ARMS) but another spirit character then spirits will not deconfirm but assist trophies will be a definitve deconfirm as they did not use the face of the franchise due to him already being an AT. If it is Springman then neither AT nor spirits deconfirm and MANY characters will be back o the table again with Waluigi being a frontrunner as Nintendo of America acknowledged the backlash.
I'd go as far as to say this: I don't think Geno really has any competition left from other Square Enix characters, if we get a SE rep I'm sure it would be Geno. If Springman gets in then I think the biggest rival of Geno would be Waluigi. With 5 characters left two of them being related to Mario would be a little too much. Scenario a) would be Geno with a multitude of SE costumes like Chocobo and Scenario B) would be Waluigi with some Mario based costumes like f.e. an enhanced Geno costume.
Depending on which outcome we will witness in June there will be a lot of revelations what we have to expect for the last 5 characters. It might hit the speculation scene very hard and shake up everything what we believed in.
But one thing is for sure. It will be one hell of a time for Smash speculation!
I disagree on Geno having little competition from SE franchises, because they could still pull a fast one and decide to put in Tifa or Sephiroth in instead. But I think he has a pretty good shot. I definitely think he's one of the most likely SE fighter's, and nothing should really stop him unless both parties want to cash in on the FF7 Remake hype in Smash.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with you. The ARMS character will pretty much decide a ton on what people will begin to expect in the future, if it's a promotion of any kind (Spirits/AT) then requests for every popular character that is not a Fighter will explode, If it's not a promotion, then people will be even more against these characters getting in.

In these times, I'm pretty happy that I don't really care THAT much on who gets in. I wouldn't want to get overly salty at my character not getting promoted.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Apparently not, given nobody expected this. :ultpacman:
If you watch the Nintendo YouTuber Arlo, he made a perfect point about this. Nintendo always does the unexpected. Even when you anticipate them doing the unexpected, it doubles back on being the expected thing. Hyped and anticipated Final FP1 character? Fire Emblem. They have to start the pass off strong with an out of this world mind blowing pick like Joker? And entirely redeem how disappointing Byleth was? ARMS character.

Meaning that if we keep expecting Geno, Nintendo will never put him in the game. And if we never expect Geno as a reverse psychology attempt, we aren't gonna get Geno in.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
I disagree on Geno having little competition from SE franchises, because they could still pull a fast one and decide to put in Tifa or Sephiroth in instead. But I think he has a pretty good shot. I definitely think he's one of the most likely SE fighter's, and nothing should really stop him unless both parties want to cash in on the FF7 Remake hype in Smash.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with you. The ARMS character will pretty much decide a ton on what people will begin to expect in the future if it's a promotion of any kind (Spirits/AT) then requests for every popular character that is not a Fighter will explode, If it's not a promotion, then people will be even more against these characters getting in.

In these times, I'm pretty happy that I don't really care THAT much on who gets in. I wouldn't want to get overly salty at my character not getting promoted.
Yes it definitely helps to keep some distance and not get too emotionally involved. It's fun speculating and anticipating reveals but at the end of the day it's still a game and if a most-wanted does not get in it will not be the end of the world and people shouldn't become depressed or angry over it. It's not healthy and will not help. But as Ridley and K. Rool have shown: always continuing support and never giving up can result in the impossible happening. And the more people mocked you for your dreams, the more sweet the victory will be.

D

Deleted member

Even if it happens, I won't give up hope. They could be thinking "we don't have enough villains" and go with Coyle.
View attachment 267372
Edit: I almost want to make this stupid meme my signature.
Maybe there's some subtlety that I'm missing but just doing a little reading I can't tell if Coyle is a "villain" as much as she's just the spooky science person that works at the spooky science lab. ARMS seems pretty lighthearted. But really, think about it... They've never lead off a franchise with a villain, and in fact, villains seem to be extremely low priority - it took until Melee to get Bowser, they had so few ideas for Ganondorf that he was made a clone... of Captain Falcon. Wolf was such an afterthought they didn't even properly incorporate him into SSE. Fire Emblem still doesn't even have one unless you count Robin due to time travel shenanigans.

It would be so unorthodox for a DLC character from a franchise not yet represented by a fighter to get its first fighter in the form of a villain that there's no reasonable argument to stand on that it wasn't done because something currently in the game stopped them from doing it, especially in the case of ARMS - the most recognizable characters from the game are all spirits already.

This is another reason that it's worth paying attention to the point that ARMS was not that popular, and I wish that Nintendo was at least in the early 2010s as far as online gaming goes so that we could look up metrics of how many people were and are playing ARMS at any given time... but seriously think about how few people are deep into ARMS. 2.1 million copies sold in one year's time, how many of those quit playing the game as soon as Splatoon 2 came out? That's one month. How many quit playing it as soon as, say, Mario Odyssey came out? That was 4 months. How many people weren't that fond of it and just went back to Mario Kart 8 deluxe? How many totally dropped it when Smash came out? With every new game, the playerbase for an older game drops outside of people who have made more out of the game than just a single playthrough - speedrunning or playing competitively, stuff like that. Splatoon 2 got all of Nintendo's esports love, and while ARMS kept getting content for six months... how many people really know that content?

As someone not interested in the game, the last thing I remember people hyping up was Lola Pop. That was in September of 2017. That's the last time my friends talked about it and that's the last time I saw it in the popular eye. I didn't know that Springtron, Max Brass, Misango or Dr. Coyle even existed. I'm not saying this to knock them as characters or to knock ARMS or any of the things that get tossed around when it gets pointed out how ARMS fell off the radar, I'm only saying that putting those guys into Smash would be extremely strange. This sort of goes back to the recognizability thing, so my argument could be totally moot - it just seems like the obvious play is to put someone in that is popular or in one way or another iconic to the franchise, even if the franchise is not iconic. It's like the Fatal Fury situation - imagine any other Fatal Fury character that isn't Terry.
ff.jpeg

Who the **** are these people?! Is that Mike Haggar?!

It's a total hypothetical, obviously, but what if Terry, Andy, Joe, and Mai had their spirit in the game to begin with, but then they said we're getting a Fatal Fury character? We're essentially in the same boat right now - Terry is such an obvious choice that swerving him for someone like Geese would just prove that there's a legitimate reason to believe spirits are characters that had absolutely no future for reasons that will never be made clear.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
The focus of this art may be the assist side of things, but I am really feeling what is in the background.
Ah, so cute!~
GenoHappy.png

A thought just occurred to me......what if the ARMS rep ISN'T a promotion? What if they choose a character that doesn't already have a spirit, costume or AT? That would actually REINFORCE the spirit's deconfirm BS! Ooooooooh, boy......

That could be really bad for Geno.
Sure, but the odds of that happening are pretty astronomical. In order for them to accomplish this, they'd have to pass up including Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, the faces of the game, Ninjara and Min-Min, the two most popular male and female characters in the game, and Twintelle, another very well-liked character. This would be like if Pokemon were a new franchise and when it came time to include a character, they went with Chansey instead of Pikachu. Sure, Chansey has her fans, but her popularity pales in comparion to Pikachu's.

Let's take a look at the ARMS roster for a second:
3f0.jpeg
So if this hypothesis is true, and they're deciding not to include characters from ARMS who are already represented in Smash, who could it be? Let's narrow it down:
  • So right off the bat SpringTron is out, because it'd be pretty weird to have Spring Man's metal doppelganger in as playable when the main man himself isn't.
  • Next we'll take out Barq & Byte, because their gimmick wouldn't translate well into Smash. For clarity, their gimmick is that you control the robot and the dog will move around the arena on it's own and attack from afar. Given how diverse the terrain is in Smash and how frequently you move around, I can't see this being particularly useful. Also, they're not as popular as other characters.
  • As much as it pains me, Dr. Coyle is also out because she can levitate. Every Smash character needs to abide by the general rules of gravity, and having a character who can float indefinitely would be all kinds of stupid. She also has the ability to turn invisible on knockdown in order to obfuscate her next location. Given that this game is all about being readable, something like that would be terrible in competitive scenes.
  • Misango and Lola Pop can go as well, since they simply aren't as popular as any of the other characters. Also, representing ARMS with a clown wouldn't really give people the best impression of the game.
  • While Helix is a goofy and wacky little dude, and is certainly one of ARMS' more recognizable characters, there's not really a good way to incorporate his gimmick into Smash. For clarity, his gimmick is that you can shift his gooey body around to dodge attacks, which would be very hard to replicate in Smash.
  • Master Mummy is a cool character, but his large and slow frame doesn't really represent the majority of what ARMS is like, that being fast-paced happy slaps. Mechanica could also fall under this general umbrella, as could Max Brass.
  • All that leaves us with is Kid Cobra, who just isn't as popular as other characters.
So yeah, neither of them would really fit well as the ARMS character.

So, as the resident overthinker, this is how I think it's going to go down... E3 is going to be a triple this year, and unlike my triple January reveal theory, this has a ton of precedent backing it up. First and foremost, we've seen this scenario before... A character teased but not properly shown off until E3. We saw this in 2015 and 2018. Lucas was revealed in April and Inkling was revealed in March, we then proceeded to get Roy and Ryu and Daisy and Ridley respectively. Also, if you look at the vast history of E3s with Smash as a focal point, 7 of the 8 had brand new reveals, 7 had at least 2 new reveals and 6 of the 8 had at least triple reveals. The odds of E3 this year being "oh bay-bee, a trep-pull" are really high because of the weird blessing of ARMS being half-assed announced.

Going off this, I'm pretty certain that 6 will be an upgrade and why Nintendo's going with the theatrics of this. 6 will be the very first promotion... And then they're going to immediately follow it up with another. A long-standing theory of mine is that Nintendo was going to promote the most wanted spirit, costume, and assist trophy and I think that's going to happen... But they're going to build up to it. ARMS promotion then the most wanted spirit, then the most wanted costume, and then the most wanted assist trophy at the end or near the end of Season 2. E3 is deliberately going to be the stage for not only the first promotion but the first most wanted promotion based on category. If I'm right, it's G ****in' G, and Nintendo is probably going to save the most wanted costume promotion and the most wanted assist trophy for a separate presentation.

TLDR; Nintendo did this on purpose to make a huge spectacle of the "no promotion" rule getting BTFO to kick off Season 2 and the most wanted spirit will likely be promoted at E3 too.
I think the reason they're even going with this whole guessing game approach to begin with is to buy themselves time. Sakurai has been very open about how the Caramel Verbis has impacted his ability to hold meetings with other companies for the DLC, so I don't see how they'd be able to somehow have two other characters ready to reveal and release by June.

Regardless, even if we weren't currently dealing with the Chocolate Velvet, just sounds way too good to be true in any context.

D

Deleted member

I think the reason they're even going with this whole guessing game approach to begin with is to buy themselves time. Sakurai has been very open about how the Caramel Verbis has impacted his ability to hold meetings with other companies for the DLC, so I don't see how they'd be able to somehow have two other characters ready to reveal and release by June.

Regardless, even if we weren't currently dealing with the Chocolate Velvet, just sounds way too good to be true in any context.
You sound like someone who works somewhere that saying the name of the disease is taboo.

I can buy into this buying time theory, but being the hardheaded ******* I am, I'll stand by my good TV theory until it starts to look like bad TV.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think the idea is that #6 was going to be a First-Party promotion and FMOI just assumed Waluigi
This. Everything was pointing to 6 being a Nintendo character based on theories and stuff that has come out since the fall. Two of my guys outright said first party and heavily implied a promotion. I tied my horses to Waluigi because:

1. one of my guys said 6 was going to be very popular back in January but claimed "they didn't want to ruin the surprise."

2. Waluigi has been in the mix since 2018 and one of the few characters that Nintendo has personally acknowledged as wanted for Ultimate. On top of this, Waluigi has by far been the most heard character in insider circles to the point that virtually everyone had heard him at some point.

3. a lot pointing to promotions happening eventually and Waluigi's far ahead for the most wanted AT promotion.

4. I honestly couldn't think of any other decently wanted pure Nintendo characters because I assumed ARMS was dead based on Sakurai's statements on it.

5. Luigi's Mansion 3 content is still missing for some odd reason and I suspected cheeky bull**** ala Three Houses. Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC part deux is still coming too and I had a theory that Waluigi was somehow going to be shoehorned in it.

Based on all this, Waluigi seemed the most safe as a popular first party character that would be a promotion. That said, my other predictions are still the same: Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, and Master Chief. I'm now entertaining the idea of Waluigi being a potential weird bonus at the end and not a full pack like the others. Like I've shared here, my predictions were always Nintendo- Square-"Western"- Namco- Capcom - Microsoft so I've just filled in the blanks with who I thought was the most likely for each category. Again, it's a weird situation because I was wrong about the specific character but right about everything else:

-First party
-Highly probable promotion
-Physical fighter (my hypothesis was mostly kicks though BUT Min-Min specializes in kicks so food for thought)
-Human proportions
-Shield buffs to accommodate long limbs

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I keep getting replies from people saying 'It was a huge success!' and 'It is popular, everyone loves ARMS!' who are just in flat out denial. THAT is what I'm tired of arguing about already. Facts are facts, and ARMS was not nearly as a big of a success as people want to act like it was.

I'm simply telling simps that desperately want to believe that ARMS truly was the next Splatoon that they are factually incorrect.
Literally nobody is saying that. Seriously, the only person I’ve seen comparing ARMS to Splatoon and focusing on its popularity/sales is you. People started replying to you after you came in after the direct whining that ARMS was a bad choice, which many rightfully (and for the most part, respectfully) disagreed with. Then it was you who decided to go off on a tangent about its sales numbers and popularity, and tried to compare it to Splatoon. Nobody else.

Calling people fools and simpletons is a pretty bad look too, honestly.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Oh hey, guess you were right about them reusing assets after all, assuming it’s Springman

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh hey, guess you were right about them reusing assets after all, assuming it’s Springman
I'm thinking it's going to just straight up be Min-Min after thinking on it and also going back to some of my theorycrafting from over a month ago:

https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...a-chan-herself.446378/page-2387#post-23826396

Min-Min is literally the only ARMS character with not only multiple kick auto-combos but aerial kicks as attacks:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRHCBYSftxU

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't think Waluigi is coming at this point (sorry to be the naysayer). ARMS is the Nintendo pick for the final pass, but I could be wrong!
My ideal roster based on Fatman's promotions predictions would be:

6 - SpringMan (assist trophy upgrade)
7 - Geno (costume upgrade)
8 - Shantae (spirit upgrade)
9 - Crash (final 3rd party company / final rival to Mario)
10 - Dante (crossover guy)
11 - Master Chief (second microsoft rep)

If we got these I would literally never ask Sakurai of anything ever again.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Watch: Fighter 6 is gonna be Spring Man but it'll be his new design from an Arms sequel so he doesn't count as deconfirming spirits or ATs because excuses
Eh, anything's possible. Chrom can appear in two places at once, and even if it was a new design, it's logically and TECHNICALLY still the same character (if it was Spring Man), so I don't see a big deal here.
They could just do an all-Nintendo pass though, with hopefully Geno included since he's *partially* Nintendo from being in a Nintendo-made universe (Mushroom Kingdom/Mario series).
That'd be quite an odd battle pass. A lot of people are wanting to have at least multiple third-party company characters in the 2nd battle pass, especially if it's the last DLC characters for Ultimate (maybe even the last six characters for the Smash franchise), plus the last character in the 1st battle pass was a Nintendo character... if it was the case that Nintendo are just doing an all-Nintendo character pass for the 2nd pass, Byleth should've been in it. Yes, I know it highly increases Geno's chances and makes him almost absolute to be in, but it wouldn't be fair for others who want third-party characters in the 2nd pass.

Banjo and Kazooie got lucky. Poor Geno, of course he's under strict rule and isn't allowed to do anything unless Square wants to do something with him, and they never want to do anything with him. As Master Chief said from Smash Kingdom,

"Sucks when your parent company won't let you do anything fun, huh?"

Polarthief

Smash Lord
That'd be quite an odd battle pass.
What's more odd is why you're quoting me from 13 pages ago o_O

TBH I don't even believe that, I was just piggybacking off the general idea at that moment. I do think we'll have some 3rd parties involved, possibly a few less though. There's also way too much evidence in Geno's favor for him to get cucked a third game in a row; I refuse his fate is to be shunted back to costume status after dodging it in both base and Hero's pack.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, "why Min-Min?"

-Most popular character from ARMS.

-Smash has no female fighting game reps yet.

-Min-Min is one of the only characters in the game that fights with punches and kicks.

So, all and all, still a spirit promotion, saving the titular costume and AT promotions for later and clearing the way for Geno, especially in the light that Min-Min would be a promotion of a popular side character from the base game. I don't know how this is possible but this just keeps getting better and better!

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Also, "why Min-Min?"

-Min-Min is one of the only characters in the game that fights with punches and kicks.

So, all and all, still a spirit promotion, saving the titular costume and AT promotions for later and clearing the way for Geno, especially in the light that Min-Min would be a promotion of a popular side character from the base game. I don't know how this is possible but this just keeps getting better and better!
Also she's hot. ... Yeah
I wouldn't be mad with that but I'd preffer Lola cuz CLOOWN. Min-Min seems fine thanks to Mr Yabuki. But perhaps they're thinking on working with more than 1 character (Alts)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I honestly dont think it ****ing matters who the most popular character is at all. if that mattered, we'ed have Decidueye and not Incinaroar
I feel like that is more subjective in comparison to a series with only 15 playable characters and official competitions that literally proved who was most popular.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I feel like that is more subjective in comparison to a series with only 15 playable characters and official competitions that literally proved who was most popular.
correct me if Im wrong but I thought Decidueye was the most popular. Not because only he was strong but was actually like very well received. Im probably thinkin wrong.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Sigran101 Sigran101 I'm going to go ahead and apologise for how I originally described Byleth because with how hard ARMS is getting dunked on, I can now emphasize with how you probably felt back then. Granted, ARMS was something I reluctantly totally gave up on like my support of an Animal Crossing rep or the Koopalings ever being in Smash so I'm happy that one of my seemingly dead wishes came true but this is the first time where this kind of thing for me has been wildly unpopular. As the resident Byleth, I figured I'd put that out there to you specifically and that fanbase.
Thanks man, I appreciate that:) I didn't realize I was known here haha. No hard feelings of course, but that means a lot to me. I didn't realize you were an ARMS fan. Congratulations on getting your character!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
correct me if Im wrong but I thought Decidueye was the most popular. Not because only he was strong but was actually like very well received. Im probably thinkin wrong.
You see, that's up to interpretation and is very subjective. I don't know the answer, and I doubt others will know for sure as well. ARMS does have an answer, and her name was Min Min.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm thinking it's going to just straight up be Min-Min after thinking on it and also going back to some of my theorycrafting from over a month ago:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-for-my-birthday-i-got-a-mandatory-vacation-for-an-unknown-period-of-time-from-corona-chan-herself.446378/page-2387#post-23826396

Min-Min is literally the only ARMS character with not only multiple kick auto-combos but aerial kicks as attacks:

Interesting theory but they could use Bayonetta for the Wicked Weave attacks so it could point to most characters.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
It was, but it was too late to realice it for the dev team, Sakurai just choosed the character on paper, a wrestler.
I think in the ARMS they "could" go for a "popular" character in order to appeal the masses, now, Is that a really good choice?
Imo they should do 8 alts to make it perfect,

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-for-my-birthday-i-got-a-mandatory-vacation-for-an-unknown-period-of-time-from-corona-chan-herself.446378/page-2387#post-23826396

This is exactly what I've been thinking, but for different reasons. Min Min is looking like the most likely to me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I honestly dont think it ****ing matters who the most popular character is at all. if that mattered, we'ed have Decidueye and not Incinaroar
I disagree and I think Inceniroar got screwed over. Poor guy got leaked for Sun and Moon like 6 months out and was mistaken for Fire/Fighting and then got leaked for Ultimate about 3 months out. I think both circumstances led people to hardcore resent it. A pro wrestling fire tiger heel is pretty badass on paper but got hurt by some of the biggest Nintendo leaks in the last 5 years.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Lyn - the most popular character in the Fire Emblem who has also been moded in several fan projects, and she is only an Assist Trophy. If Sakurai wants someone else from Arms, he will choose someone else.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Lyn - most popular character in Fire Emblem, only an Assist Trophy. If Sakurai wants someone else from Arms, he will choose someone else.
Isn't Ike the most popular FE character? Although I think the TH lords may have him beat (especially Edelgard and Dmitri). Your point still stands though, otherwise we'd have gotten Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude over Byleth. Popularity within one's own game/series really doesn't guarantee that that character will get in Smash, although it doesn't hurt it at all.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I disagree and I think Inceniroar got screwed over. Poor guy got leaked for Sun and Moon like 6 months out and was mistaken for Fire/Fighting and then got leaked for Ultimate about 3 months out. I think both circumstances led people to hardcore resent it. A pro wrestling fire tiger heel is pretty badass on paper but got hurt by some of the biggest Nintendo leaks in the last 5 years.
I mean what destroyed him for Ultimate was literally being THE LAST character in base game and also being the one to deconfirm Grinch Leak. That entire final Smash direct being almost as bad as the one we had yesterday didn't help people like Incineroar more either.

That said, he's actually a pretty awesome character, doing taunts after every hit and having some really good grabs/throws. He's actually my friend's main as he loves grappler characters.

Lyn - the most popular character in the Fire Emblem who has also been moded in several fan projects, and she is only an Assist Trophy. If Sakurai wants someone else from Arms, he will choose someone else.
Because she was the first character in the first Western FE, so she's like the "Mario" of FE for the West, except we've only seen her in one game. Her popularity here though is what got her put in AT status, while they have never FEs to shill over instead.

Lyn really would be the *one* FE DLC pick that wouldn't sting so bad, but because we already got Byleth as DLC, she would sting because that's 2/11 of the DLC slots going to FE. That would cause such an outrage. Maybe in Smash 6 but definitely not now.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think this is worth noting, especially with Nintendo wanting an ARMS rep, I recall that the developers of ARMS also find Min Min to be their favorite(Or at least, a major figur ein the development team). Not Sakurai, but it might be worth something.
Isn't Ike the most popular FE character? Although I think the TH lords may have him beat (especially Edelgard and Dmitri). Your point still stands though, otherwise we'd have gotten Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude over Byleth. Popularity within one's own game/series really doesn't guarantee that that character will get in Smash, although it doesn't hurt it at all.
I think a good mix of popularity and uniqueness in their skillset is the way to go. It just so happens that Min Min seems to be the go to in both.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
True, but Sakurai said he was approached by the ARMS team to add ??? character, which they chose. Sakurai did say he's not the one choosing fighters just negotating possibilities. Though I DO think he weighs in heavily so he DOES choose to an extent. I dunno how much we can take his word on the matter.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The only reason Lyn ranked higher than Ike was because the incarnations of Ike (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) were treated as to different options for some reason (i guess they looked too different from one another) Put both incarnations as one and he becomes number 1.
The poll in question.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Sakurai did say he's not the one choosing fighters just negotating possibilities. Though I DO think he weighs in heavily so he DOES choose to an extent. I dunno how much we can take his word on the matter.
I personally think he's giving suggestions or saying X Y Z character, and Nintendo says yes or no, while also forcing their own characters (Byleth being one of them) because they have the final say on DLC, provided Sakurai can make a character in Smash out of them. I do feel that Geno's on his bucket list; I don't think they would have picked Geno without Sakurai speaking up about it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not saying Min-Min would be chosen solely because of her popularity but it helps.

-The last honest to god new female Nintendo addition to Smash that wasn't a genderswap or Echo was Isabelle in 2018 and before that was Palutena in 2014!

-We technically have four fighting game reps and they're all males: Little Mac ("Punch Out is technically a puzzle game." Shaddap!) , Ryu, Ken, and Terry. No women yet.

-Represents a series that not only launched the Switch but is technically the most successful "new" Nintendo series since Wii Fit.

-Nintendo itself doesn't have a true fighting game rep yet.

-Fights with punches, kicks, and grabs in their own game which is kind of the basic blue print for a vast majority of the Smash cast anyways.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Also, "why Min-Min?"

I had completely forgotten the bayonetta glitch that implied a female fighter with arial attacks and kicks but yeah with both the popularity poll and the glitch I’m pretty sure it’s Min Min at this point.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I personally have my doubts as to Min Min being added to the roster. I mean, there are a ton of popular characters out there, not just Lyn and Black Knight like someone said a day ago. And if we go a step further, we can consider Shadow, who is very well popular last time I recall, and in terms of series not represented yet, the likes of Isaac from Golden Sun. I do bet Isaac will get in one day, but my point is, popular characters don't always get in even if they are unique in a way. I mean, K. Rool was popular, but at least he has a bigger role of importance in his series, despite not appearing in the latest two Donkey Kong Country games, compared to apparently even Min Min in ARMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom