• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Honestly, I doubt whether or not the Arms character is a spirit will affect Geno's chances. Why? Because I think Geno will get revealed in the same June direct the Arms character would be. I'm pretty damn sure Geno is 77 if anything and Nintendo still loves revealing 2 characters for E3 (RIP) so I think there will only be half an hour of speculation at most between the Arms character getting in and Geno's reveal.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Isn't Ike the most popular FE character? Although I think the TH lords may have him beat (especially Edelgard and Dmitri). Your point still stands though, otherwise we'd have gotten Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude over Byleth. Popularity within one's own game/series really doesn't guarantee that that character will get in Smash, although it doesn't hurt it at all.
The only reason Lyn ranked higher than Ike was because the incarnations of Ike (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) were treated as to different options for some reason (i guess they looked too different from one another) Put both incarnations as one and he becomes number 1.
If we are taking Smash fandom in the account, then he might be, but even then, she is THE fire emblem character that has ended up being modded in the most, with Hector and Black Knight next in line. Hell, the Tellius saga as a whole (the NGC and Wii game) is the worst-selling entry in the series. Unless Shadow of Valentia did concidering Nintendo refuse to release the sales numbers that is.

Also, the only way it would have worked when it comes to adding the lords would be through the means of having Byleth as a "Pokemon Trainer",,,

Because she was the first character in the first Western FE, so she's like the "Mario" of FE for the West, except we've only seen her in one game. Her popularity here though is what got her put in AT status, while they have never FEs to shill over instead.
Sure, but you would expect that they would upgrade her in Smash4 then if popularity = obvious inclusion in Smash4 instead of adding Lucina (who should have been a costume in the first place). Lucina might have been popular then (and got some boost after Smash4) but she is still not even close to Lyns popularity. And I say that as a massive Lucina fanboy. The only reason Ike got in Brawl was that they wanted to advertise the Tellius games.

-The last honest to god new female Nintendo addition to Smash that wasn't a genderswap or Echo was Isabelle in 2018 and before that was Palutena in 2014!
I think its safe to say that Sakurai does not care what gender the character is. I mean (discount alts/echoes) we have 6 out of 75 characters being female.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So let me get this straight. Because there are popular characters who are not yet in smash such as Shadow and Lyn, the ARMS character can't be a popular one and is therefore not Min Min? I swear, this thread kills my brain cells sometimes.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So let me get this straight. Because there are popular characters who are not yet in smash such as Shadow and Lyn, the ARMS character can't be a popular one and is therefore not Min Min? I swear, this thread kills my brain cells sometimes.
No, that¨s not the logic. It¨s that, character X is the most popular in the game/series does not necessarily being the one that is the/an inclusion from said game/franchise and Lyn is a major example of that

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No, that¨s not the logic. It¨s that, character X is the most popular in the game/series does not necessarily being the one that is the/an inclusion from said game/franchise and Lyn is a major example of that
But the thing is, the franchises in question are wildly different. FE is a long running multiple game franchise with tons of characters and protags. ARMS is a single game franchise where the main character is just assumed due to the box art. I think there is a difference in context.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
-The last honest to god new female Nintendo addition to Smash that wasn't a genderswap or Echo was Isabelle in 2018 and before that was Palutena in 2014!

-We technically have four fighting game reps and they're all males: Little Mac ("Punch Out is technically a puzzle game." Shaddap!) , Ryu, Ken, and Terry. No women yet.
I don't think Japan considers gender when choosing fighters. That's more of a western sort of thing to do.
I'm really not a fan of choosing based on gender or race because it has no bearing on the game, but that's a can of worms I don't wanna open especially in today's climate.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
But Lyn isn't the most popular FE character, and for a series like FE relevancy matters. No one is saying it's automatically Min Min because she's popular, but with only about 5 real choices and the most prominent one potentially being out if assists aren't getting upgraded (and also having other evidence against him) and little distinction between the remaining 4, popularity is a reasonable factor to go by.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Springman or Min-Min... It doesn't matter. It's still a promotion of a character from the base game, like Geno would be. Everyone largely agrees that they're the most likely based on either importance or popularity and there's an additional 3 characters behind them if it's not either of them. It's like... Damn... It's kind of a lay-up at this point. Like MisterMike MisterMike pointed out earlier today, based on everything, it's either one of them or Kid Cobra based on the fighting style. They're not going to go with a DLC character or boss and Barq, Mechanica, Master Mummy, and Helix have really specific gimmicks. Going with a less important character is one thing but less popular is just assinine. Yeah, Inceniroar isn't that the most popular but it's still a starter at the end of the day. Byleth wasn't the most wanted Three Houses character but was the most important. Heros ALTs were mostly based on popularity so there's definitely precedent for them to go with a popular character over the most important (arguably Springman/Ribbongirl).

Beyond this, like I've been saying since September, everything has been pointing to Season 2 being super fanservicey. Yes, ARMS wasn't the most wanted but it's pretty clear what the most wanted things from it are. I feel like that's the overall point. The 5 base game ARMS characters in Smash would all be really well received so why would they go out of their way to not only pick someone who's not only unpopular but not important? That's totally nuts.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But Lyn isn't the most popular FE character, and for a series like FE relevancy matters. No one is saying it's automatically Min Min because she's popular, but with only about 5 real choices and the most prominent one potentially being out if assists aren't getting upgraded (and also having other evidence against him) and little distinction between the remaining 4, popularity is a reasonable factor to go by.
Ehm.... Sigran, she is the most popular or at worst second to Ike. And if popularity = obvious choice, then she would have been upgraded instead of Lucina being included. It would have been enough when it comes to "relevancy" to add Robin only. Hell, if relevancy matters, then Chrom would not have been added in Ultimate concidering were released 6 years prior to Ultimates release and they would have added Alm or Celica instead since Echoes is a much younger game.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I'm still betting it will be 4 fighters, each having an alternate color palette of a fighter who isn't playable to take up a total of 8 spots. Basically Hero all over again. Oh, and bosses will prolly appear on the stage, which I also hope is gonna be dope.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hello Genobros.

The latest Nintendo Mini Direct sure presented us an intriguing development with Challenger Pack #6 being an ARMS character. I too believe that this character will help boost Geno's chances for Vol. 2, as well as the chances for other characters who are currently represented as Spirits.

With the frequent mentioning of Min Min perhaps being the ARMS character that'll join the roster, I'd like to bring to everyone's attention this interesting moment back during ARMS's hype days.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hello Genobros.

The latest Nintendo Mini Direct sure presented us an intriguing development with Challenger Pack #6 being an ARMS character. I too believe that this character will help boost Geno's chances for Vol. 2, as well as the chances for other characters who are currently represented as Spirits.

With the frequent mentioning of Min Min perhaps being the ARMS character that'll join the roster, I'd like to bring to everyone's attention this interesting moment back during ARMS's hype days.

I had completely forgot about this! I recall people really memeing up Mr. Yabuki and his skill back then. If I recall correct, isn't Yabuki also the developer that stated Min Min is his favorite character in ARMS?

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I had completely forgot about this! I recall people really memeing up Mr. Yabuki and his skill back then. If I recall correct, isn't Yabuki also the developer that stated Min Min is his favorite character in ARMS?
Yeah, and since Yabuki created ARMS, loves/mains Min Min and she ended up winning that 8-month long event, I would expect some sense of favoritism with what ever character he and Nintendo picks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, and since Yabuki created ARMS, loves/mains Min Min and she ended up winning that 8-month long event, I would expect some sense of favoritism with what ever character he and Nintendo picks.
Possibly. Nintendo did play a big part in ARMS getting here, and Sakurai has taken suggestions from the original devs in the past.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Beyond this, like I've been saying since September, everything has been pointing to Season 2 being super fanservicey. Yes, ARMS wasn't the most wanted but it's pretty clear what the most wanted things from it are. I feel like that's the overall point. The 5 base game ARMS characters in Smash would all be really well received so why would they go out of their way to not only pick someone who's not only unpopular but not important? That's totally nuts.
This is the same company that decided to start off rather lukewarm after a massive ****storm (to the point that the entire thing was the only thing trending on Twitter) with an inclusion that is potentially an add for a yet to be revealed sequel... This is the company that added an obvious advertisement pick twice, for a franchise that Smash fanbase is tired of seeing getting represented Heck, they didn¨t even put the character that people were most looking forward to with Fates (Azura). This is the same company that have a generic Plant (who is one of my mains, just to be clear) as a pre-order bonus instead of a character that has been demanded for quite some time.

Who knows what they are thinking with this pass. They could be only first-party, it could be an advertisement only... heck, we have the infamous bear who just so happens to arrive the same month as Arms will be revealed/released unless covid19 f the situation up, which just screams potential for another Byleth situation for what we know. -_-. I think you get where I¨m going with this

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't personally think that means, or guarantees Min Min's chances. I mean though Nintendo may have chosen the character, I am not sure how involved Yabuki was with this decision, unless I am missing something. Either way, those things, alone, won;'t make it so Min Min becomes a fighter. I still think they would go with a main character like Spring Man, if anything.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey everyone, this is just a gentle reminder that the staff will start encouraging support threads to move from ARMS Rep discussion to discussion about their support thread characters. This is for all threads, not just for the Geno thread. That being said, we will start to enforce this point more strictly going into next week so please keep that in mind. That’s all and happy speculating.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey everyone, this is just a gentle reminder that the staff will start encouraging support threads to move from ARMS Rep discussion to discussion about their support thread characters. This is for all threads, not just for the Geno thread. That being said, we will start to enforce this point more strictly going into next week so please keep that in mind. That’s all and happy speculating.
Now THAT is a good idea, if I do say so, myself.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, on the topic of Geno, t-minus 73 days until we get our first borderline guaranteed prrrrrrromotion so we may as be close to only 7 weeks away from Geno if my theory is right.
I counted seven weeks from now on my computer's calendar, and it seems that will be in May. What makes you think it will be by then, again?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So, on the topic of Geno, t-minus 73 days until we get our first borderline guaranteed prrrrrrromotion so we may as be close to only 7 weeks away from Geno if my theory is right.
Counting down the days to that E3 direct. Gib Geno plox.

... I'm dumb as hell... Not seven weeks, about 10 1/2 until "E3."
I was gonna say 7 weeks seemed very short for "73 days", especially since I kept saying ~2.5 months over and over today/yesterday.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
What if Geno is also a Bowser Jr situation but just with other dolls like Chuckie and Annabelle? Definitely seems the way to go :ultpacman:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I don't personally think that means, or guarantees Min Min's chances. I mean though Nintendo may have chosen the character, I am not sure how involved Yabuki was with this decision, unless I am missing something.
Allow me to say something I also learned: Yabuki is credited as the game supervisor for Smash Ultimate, and has big positions for a lot of the Switch and Wii U's best sellers like Mario Kart 8.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Allow me to say something I also learned: Yabuki is credited as the game supervisor for Smash Ultimate, and has big positions for a lot of the Switch and Wii U's best sellers like Mario Kart 8.
Umm... Wow.

That's quite the pertinent résumé.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, sure, but that only does so much. What if they decided to go with someone else instead for this DLC? What if Yabuki was okay with not adding Min Min? Like I said, I don't think she has that big of a role in ARMS aside from being popular. I could be wrong, but at least popular characters like K. Rool, and by extension, popular characters not in yet like Geno had bigger roles in their games.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, sure, but that only does so much. What if they decided to go with someone else instead for this DLC? What if Yabuki was okay with not adding Min Min? Like I said, I don't think she has that big of a role in ARMS aside from being popular. I could be wrong, but at least popular characters like K. Rool, and by extension, popular characters not in yet like Geno had bigger roles in their games.
It's a fighting game; Everyone has about the same role as everyone else, with the exception of boss characters with lore to them, and both those character were not part of the base roster if that means anything.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's a fighting game; Everyone has about the same role as everyone else, with the exception of boss characters with lore to them, and both those character were not part of the base roster if that means anything.
At least someone like Spring Man, and maybe Ribbon Girl, are actual mascots of ARMS, which should give them a higher chance of getting in instead of Min MIn, if slightly.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
At least someone like Spring Man, and maybe Ribbon Girl, are actual mascots of ARMS, which should give them a higher chance of getting in instead of Min MIn, if slightly.
But why not just say who they are instead of the secrecy? Plus they immediately announced a free trial for people w/o the game, likely to get them acclimated to a non-mascot character.

A lot of signs are pointing to not Spring Man, and I feel like some of those signs also point against Ribbon Girl as well. Min Min is *the* most likely candidate as a result. The Bayo glitch could also be for her too (though I agree with PapaGenos, it does fit Twintelle pretty damn well, but that alone is just circumstantial evidence that could amount to literally nothing).

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
B
Mascot is arguable though. Springman appears on the boxart and was the first revealed, and that's the extent of his prominence. There is no story mode, there is no main character. Obviously he's intended to be the face, but really who cares who they put on the front of the box for a game like this? He's far from the most popular character.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
B

Mascot is arguable though. Springman appears on the boxart and was the first revealed, and that's the extent of his prominence. There is no story mode, there is no main character. Obviously he's intended to be the face, but really who cares who they put on the front of the box for a game like this? He's far from the most popular character.
There was also the comic preview where Springman is the main character and he's clearly going to be the main focus if the rest ever actually releases. Besides he was also who was felt best represented the series as he was the one given the AT treatment.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
There was also the comic preview where Springman is the main character and he's clearly going to be the main focus if the rest ever actually releases. Besides he was also who was felt best represented the series as he was the one given the AT treatment.
But why play games like this to do the SUPER OBVIOUS thing? It makes more sense to do this for a non-mascot since they want people to get to know the characters, given the free trial that came right after.

Honestly, this is super pointing away from Spring Man. It's way too obvious of a thing to pick him for this, and honestly, there would be quite a backlash if they did that (this is assuming if it's ONE fighter, no alt costumes/echoes, and he's the only one who came). I'd be pretty pissed off myself.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
But why play games like this to do the SUPER OBVIOUS thing? It makes more sense to do this for a non-mascot since they want people to get to know the characters, given the free trial that came right after.

Honestly, this is super pointing away from Spring Man. It's way too obvious of a thing to pick him for this, and honestly, there would be quite a backlash if they did that (this is assuming if it's ONE fighter, no alt costumes/echoes, and he's the only one who came). I'd be pretty pissed off myself.
Quite a backlash? Since when has Nintendo ever cared about that. Did you miss who our last DLC character was? Also, the free trial doesn't point away from the mascot, it points to them capitalizing on the interest Smash will bring to the series. But still, it'll likely be multiple characters.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Since when has Nintendo ever cared about that. Did you miss who our last DLC character was?
I never said they would care, just pointing out "there will be a backlash".

Also, the free trial doesn't point away from the mascot, it points to them capitalizing on the interest Smash will bring to the series.
Sure, but I also see it as people getting to see the other characters they might not have a clue about.
Regardless, the secrecy for the character that everyone likely knows exists just seems dumb as all hell.

But still, it'll likely be multiple characters.
Possibly, but we really don't know.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
B

No story mode? Let me remind you that Wii Fit, the game, had no story mode as well, and yet we got Wii Fit Trainer. Granted, there weren't many other characters, if any, but my point is, not having a story mode does not mean much or determine what character gets in Smash. Plus, no main character does not mean no mascot as well. I mean, we got Spring Man as an Assist over Min Min, and he was one of the first to be introduced in ARMS, not Min Min. Sometimes, the most popular character in a series does not always get in over another character that is perhaps more featured and shown like on the box art and such.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No story mode? Let me remind you that Wii Fit, the game, had no story mode as well, and yet we got Wii Fit Trainer. Granted, there weren't many other characters, if any, but my point is, not having a story mode does not mean much or determine what character gets in Smash. Plus, no main character does not mean no mascot as well. I mean, we got Spring Man as an Assist over Min Min, and he was one of the first to be introduced in ARMS, not Min Min. Sometimes, the most popular character in a series does not always get in over another character that is perhaps more featured and shown like on the box art and such.
That wasn't his point, its that there is no story mode to pinpoint Spring Man as a notable main character. Whether or not a game has a story mode matters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That wasn't his point, its that there is no story mode to pinpoint Spring Man as a notable main character. Whether or not a game has a story mode matters.
And yet, not only was Spring Man one of the first to be shown as playable in ARMS, but he was on the box art and shown on things ARMS related more than Min Min. Plus, when did I say main character? You can have a mascot and not a main character, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom