• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKFun

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow Geno fans! I've wanted Geno in Smash for a good few years, and while things may seem bleak, know there's a ton in Geno's favor in the run for DLC! Don't lose hope just yet, everyone's wish upon a star may still get answered.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
... I'm sure Geno will be DLC. I'll take the L if I'm wrong but... His situation seem weird.

Sakurai has the rights to Geno , and he only use it for a profile picture/spirit? He wanted him since Brawl for crying out loud!

Third party characters has better shot at beeing DLC. Fan-favorites too. And Square Enix want money.
In the end, it's still Sakurai who has the last word. He never said anything about a DQ character or Sora... And Geno is also a cool-looking character. He's a star warrior with an hand gun , can transform into a canon , isn't why so many people loved him when they first saw him?

Screw the "Younger audience don't know this character" argument. Sakurai DOESN'T CARE. And this "Younger audience" also DON'T CARE. They want cool and fun characters. That's why they love characters like Pit in Brawl, Captain Falcon or even Shulk! Iv'e spent 3 years and a half on for glory , and Iv'e saw so many Ness, falcons, Sheiks and what-not , even tho 80% of the players who use them didn't evn played their originals games!

Keep pushing for him , he's so damn close.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So... Since Mach Rider isn’t as likely anymore, is anyone else wondering what Sakurai bought that mecha toy with the rifle for now? Sure there is a plethora of things the rifle could be used for, but I remember at one point people suggested it could be for Geno.

I doubt it at this point but it’s still an interesting thing to consider.
If the rifle isn't being used for Mach Rider or Geno, I could see it being used for Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Her along with Geno are still in the running and one or both could potentially both be DLC characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If the rifle isn't being used for Mach Rider or Geno, I could see it being used for Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Her along with Geno are still in the running and one or both could potentially both be DLC characters.
The rifle wasn't used for anyone that I can tell

He said they haven't started on any of the DLC characters yet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The rifle wasn't used for anyone that I can tell

He said they haven't started on any of the DLC characters yet
Do you know who first said: ''Whatever DLC characters we are getting, were planned when the roster was finalized.''? I've heard a lot of people say that.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
All we can really do atm is hope on dlc.

I think until the time dlc is actually closer, we might all be better off if we discuss things other than his chances of making it, whether it be who we might use first in ultimate, favorite moments from Mario rpg, favorite fanart, etc. all the talk about why he didn’t make base, his chances vs sora, how sakurai has the rights to use him but only has him as a player icon, have been done to death already and are depressing atm. Let’s come back to those topics when the game has actually released and dlc is looming a bit closer.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Man yesterday felt like getting punched in the face for me. It was total opposite of what I thought it would be. First the Direct , and then I find out that at work one of our clients cancelled, so I'm off for 2 weeks. Which isn't good for me.
I went to bed at like 10, woke up at like 3:30 am cause of how excited I was. Went into work, and as soon as I saw the cat eyes up the ramp way at the boxing ring I knew we were dead in the water.
It's a weird feeling to know you've waited 22 years for something, and I was 99% sure Geno was going to make it this time but I was wrong. And it hurts, really bad. I did everything I felt I possibly could as a fan on my end to tell Nintendo what I wanted. Brawl, Wii U and now Ultimate, sorry but 3 strikes and you're out Nintendo.
So in conclusion, I am not going to lash out on any social media, it just wasn't meant to be. At 31 years old, I can no longer wait up for Geno. So I'm moving on. I've cancelled my pre-order for this game, and I'll just enjoy my Geno Mii fighter costume. It was a worthy cause, but I've accepted that Geno will never playable in another game again.
SMRPG is a special part of my childhood and will always be my favorite game and it's characters, with Geno at the forefront. So I'll always keep them in my heart, but I'm going to pursue other passions in my life. It's what's best for me, and the only way for me to move on.
I'm taking a huge break from this board, maybe if Geno still makes it as DLC I'll buy the game, but only then. I'm not going to obsessively check for updates like I was. Thanks guys for keep the dream alive. It's a wonderful thing to talk to other people who love these characters like me. I wish all of you the best in your lives.

Mimic88

Smash Cadet
Man yesterday felt like getting punched in the face for me. It was total opposite of what I thought it would be. First the Direct , and then I find out that at work one of our clients cancelled, so I'm off for 2 weeks. Which isn't good for me.
I went to bed at like 10, woke up at like 3:30 am cause of how excited I was. Went into work, and as soon as I saw the cat eyes up the ramp way at the boxing ring I knew we were dead in the water.
It's a weird feeling to know you've waited 22 years for something, and I was 99% sure Geno was going to make it this time but I was wrong. And it hurts, really bad. I did everything I felt I possibly could as a fan on my end to tell Nintendo what I wanted. Brawl, Wii U and now Ultimate, sorry but 3 strikes and you're out Nintendo.
So in conclusion, I am not going to lash out on any social media, it just wasn't meant to be. At 31 years old, I can no longer wait up for Geno. So I'm moving on. I've cancelled my pre-order for this game, and I'll just enjoy my Geno Mii fighter costume. It was a worthy cause, but I've accepted that Geno will never playable in another game again.
SMRPG is a special part of my childhood and will always be my favorite game and it's characters, with Geno at the forefront. So I'll always keep them in my heart, but I'm going to pursue other passions in my life. It's what's best for me, and the only way for me to move on.
I'm taking a huge break from this board, maybe if Geno still makes it as DLC I'll buy the game, but only then. I'm not going to obsessively check for updates like I was. Thanks guys for keep the dream alive. It's a wonderful thing to talk to other people who love these characters like me. I wish all of you the best in your lives.
Man, I never realized how die-hard Geno fans were. SMRPG was an amazing game and Geno was a great character. I wouldn't get your hopes down for DLC. I feel like Geno has been a heavily requested character for a very long time, and eventually Nintendo will port him in. The major issue I speculate is that kids these days have no idea who Geno is, so it makes sense to prioritize franchises that have the largest fanbase like Pokemon (Incineroar), Mario (Piranha Plant- which is essentially a strange novelty character), and Street Fighter (Ken). Now of course one could argue that ROB, NES, Duck Hunt, Pac Man, Game n Watch, and other old school Nintendo characters are in a similar boat as Geno.

I'm on your side buddy. I wonder if Nintendo might make a new Super Mario RPG or a remake, and will release Mallow and Geno as a DLC package. Wouldn't that be interesting?

(personally I'd love to see Chrono as well while we're talking about SNES RPG's)

I hope you can get over it and can still enjoy the game. :)

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
My main support has been for Isaac and...well I’m actually content. My philosophy has been “At the very least, please let him be in the game this time”. And he is as an Assist Trophy. I’m fine with that.

My second most wanted character was K Rool, so yay. My third was Geno, so I think I’ll throw my Support onto him most of all for DLC. Here’s hoping~

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I do thing it's kinda strange that Geno was an icon. Are there any Third Party Icon's that we've seen? Cause I have this tinfoil hat idea that perhaps Nintendo might have actually bought Geno back....

PKFun

Smash Rookie
I do thing it's kinda strange that Geno was an icon. Are there any Third Party Icon's that we've seen? Cause I have this tinfoil hat idea that perhaps Nintendo might have actually bought Geno back....
I thought this was very strange. I saw that icon in the direct and flipped out for a second and thought they accidentally showed him then realising it was just his original artwork. Still, hoping it does at least mean something.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
I'll give you some hints

and

I hope i convinced you on how Geno is a primary spirit

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I posted this in another thread but I think Mii Fighter Costumes currently not in the game could have a possible chance as DLC. The most likely of this group in my opinion being Heihachi.

MiiFighters.jpg

My picks for DLC are:

1) Heihachi
2) Geno
3) Banjo-Kazooie
4) Rayman
5) Elma

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I posted this in another thread but I think Mii Fighter Costumes currently not in the game could have a possible chance as DLC. The most likely of this group in my opinion being Heihachi.

View attachment 175038

My picks for DLC are:

1) Heihachi
2) Geno
3) Banjo-Kazooie
4) Rayman
5) Elma
So.... based on this....
Geno
Lloyd
Heihachi
Tails
Monster Hunter

I'd be fine with this.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
At this point my assumption is that Geno's mii costume is not in this game

Why remove it if you're just gonna represent the character with a token? For a game that's supposed to be 'ultimate' I don't think Sakurai would downgrade geno, I personally see an upgrade in the works

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Any confirmation to clear up any confusion over the "does this deconfirm?" matter would be nice. Problem is nobody seems to have a good answer.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Given the choice between getting Geno in the base roster, or a DLC pack with Geno, a unique stage and some new music tracks, I think it'd be worth the wait for some months before finally getting our character. My guess is along the same lines already covered in the past pages; likely it was getting all of the characters and then some back into this game which took priority over Geno making it. I'm sure it was intended but it was too late to really fit that within an expected time frame.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
View attachment 175038

This image is the reason I still have faith. Almost all costumes were placed in the game in some way shape or form. And Geno was the only one who got a special splash screen. Keep faith.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

View attachment 175038

My picks for DLC are:

1) Heihachi
2) Geno
3) Banjo-Kazooie
4) Rayman
5) Elma
I really like this. Tails, Geno, and Heihachi. This is great if it means anything.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
Did you join here just to deliberately try and troll geno fans?

Cuz that’s what it looks like.

*ignores*
Are you twelve ? I just put facts, you wonder why there is geno's face in this game.
I explain it simply, with logic, they use mii costumes from fighters that aren't in the base game to justify these new event matches to earn spirits
I show you that it is the case for Lip
I show you that, it's likely every previous mii costumes are back and so is Geno
And such i make the link between Geno mii costume and his face in this game as a spirit.

Where is it troll ? You just react like a kid that doesn't like what he's hearing and so he covers his ears, that's just childish

dang a mii costume fighter was a spirit. guess k rool, isabelle, chrom, and inkling arent fighters anymore
Damn that's not even an argument

Are you all like this ?

Square Enix DLC is just Sora, he's out at the same time of release of Kingdom Hearts, i'm not here to troll you, i don't even like Sora and i prefer Geno, i just came here to put some senses in you, don't have pipedreams or you'll all feel like we felt yesterday

Last edited:

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
Are you twelve ? I just put facts, you wonder why there is geno's face in this game.
I explain it simply, with logic, they use mii costumes from fighters that aren't in the base game to justify these new event matches to earn spirits
I show you that, it's likely every previous mii costumes are back and so is Geno
And such i make the link between Geno mii costume and his face in this game as a spirit.

Where is it troll ? You just react like a kid that doesn't like what he's hearing and so he covers his ears, that's just childish

Are you all like this ?

Square Enix DLC is just Sora, he's out at the same time of release of Kingdom Hearts, i'm not here to troll you, i don't even like Sora and i prefer Geno, i just came here to put some senses in you, don't have pipedreams or you'll all feel like we felt yesterday
You posted two screenshots, when we haven’t even SEEN geno’s Costume yet, and automatically assume something due to another spirit.
On that note, we don’t even know if he’s a spirit, we’ve only seen him as an icon for online.

Klimax

Smash Ace
What a horrible comment. Sakurai pours his heart out to please as many fans as possible, yet you think he should be FIRED? You're really not putting Geno fans in a good light, here.
I have every right to be disappointed and say how bad I hated that direct as someone who's buying most of Nintendo's products.
If you're buying Sakurai's laughable storytelling about how hard everything is, well, good for you, but I don't.
I think that Miyamoto shouldn't work on Paper Mario anymore because he's not doing anything good for it anymore. Same goes for Sakurai, And this is not even about Geno, I'm just serious about Sakurai being the main problem and I could go on and on about it.
It's not because you're trying hard that what you do is good. When I saw the august direct, i was convinced that this game was going to be perfect, I was sure about giving it a 10/10. And then, we got this horrible direct. Everything was HORRIBLE.
And I'm not hating on Piranha Plant, at first I was disgusted, but now, I'm fine with it and I wanna play as her. I was also really happy for Ken and Incineroar. But the rest was just terrible. And I don't imagine how people who have Isaac as their most wanted felt. Sakurai killed my hype with that terrible solo mode full of glorified stickers and that anticlimactic direct.

Btw, even if Geno is a spirit, it's not a big deal for the many reasons we already said. Geno still has a really good shot at being DLC in the Mewtwo's spot.

And if we're ending up (once again lol) with the worst case scenario, I'll consider buying Geno's rights, one way or another.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
You posted two screenshots, when we haven’t even SEEN geno’s Costume yet, and automatically assume something due to another spirit.
On that note, we don’t even know if he’s a spirit, we’ve only seen him as an icon for online.
So he brings back every characters and DLC, as well as stages, and somehow mii costumes wont make the cut
I just have the most rational thinking, where you base yourself on "what if", "what if his costume isn't here anymore", "what if he isn't a spirit", "what if they miraculously teased Geno's DLC through an icon for online"

that's three what if in a row where on my case i just have to assume geno mii costume is back

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I guess now is as good of time as any to throw in my DLC predictions:

1) Geno
2) Banjo
3) Lloyd
4) Another Zelda Rep (Impa?)
5) Monster Hunter Character

Combination of my newfound confidence in Verge’s sources, and my feeling that more mii costumes/ballot winners will be in the cards. I also hesitate to believe that ALL the DLC fighters will be third party, hence the Zelda slot.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

Are you all like this ?

sora is a disney character, not a square character. if you think disney will let nintendo use sora after nintendo wouldnt let mario anywhere near wreck it ralph 2, i dont know what to tell you

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
Listen.

At this point in time, we needed a glimmer of hope. Geno still has a lot going for him, and I’m not giving up. We need to TRY being positive about this.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't know if Geno will be in the Fighter Pass, since Pirahna Plant stole his thunder, but I'm sure there will be a second Fighter Pass, and he has substantially better odds of appearing there.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace

Are you all like this ?

Sora is a Disney character, not a Square Enix character. Having a Disney's character would be so big that Vergeben would have said "Disney character".
Maybe you're right, but maybe Geno's mii costume is not making a comeback. For now, he's a player's icon.K
Klaptrap is a spirit but the picture used for his player's icon is not the same as the one used for his spirit. I'm pretty sure they used his AT picture.
So, it's too early to be sure about anything. I'm more convinced by Geno being DLC in the Mewtwo's because of the many reasons I already said.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I don't know if Geno will be in the Fighter Pass, since Pirahna Plant stoke his thunder, but I'm sure there will be a second Fighter Pass, and he has substantially better odds of appearing there.
i mean, if we can have 2 fire emblem characters for dlc, i dont think geno and piranha plant is too far of a reach

imagine if we got a geno/mallow fighter like the ice climbers/duck hunt duo

link2702

Smash Champion
Need to relax people. freaking out like this isn’t gonna help anything. What’s done is done. All we can do is hope for dlc. Every argument has been said over and over again for him. Let’s quit the panicking right now and wait till closer to dlc before worrying anymore.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, I'm still happy that Geno is in Smash at all
honestly, im hoping for a geno dlc fighter, but id be happy even if we just got the mii costume since we have better customization options and it'd be easier to make a decent mii for it. still REALLY pushing for geno dlc though

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright guys, I'm glad to see that everyone has recovered from yesterday but I'm about to say some things that will sting. The bottom line is we expected too much and by that I don't mean Geno being playable. Here's what I mean:

*Geno being in the base roster: Cloud was DLC with Smash 4 so we honestly tripped over our own feet on this one. If Square's most popular character didn't debut in a base roster, why would anyone else from them?

*Geno getting a cool cinematic: Once again, Cloud didn't get one either so why would Geno? It sucks but we should have known.

*Geno in base with Mallow as an assist trophy: this ties into the first point. Did you all notice that Square has no assist trophies in this game? Hell, I didn't even see a single Square Enix spirit. Even with Cloud returning, they couldn't have been bothered to make new character models or even liscense out old official art if they didn't get money for it. If Mallow's in the game, he's either a stage hazard or a part of Geno ala Toad or Kumatora.

So, what does this show. This shows that Square only wants to put in new content if they get paid for it. It was in front of our faces this whole time. This is why Geno even showing up in the Direct is significant.

Square, despite gripping their coin purse, made an exception for Geno. Why? Because most of the work was already done. Liscensing. Done. Functional character skin. Done. At least one music track. Done. What's left on Square Enix's part is creating a stage with assests that Nintendo already had permission to use thanks to the previous liscensing deal and the SNES Classic. The sweetheart deal in all this is that Square is essentially getting paid the $6.00 per purchase for much less work than getting Cloud in SSB4 IF Geno was chosen. That said, Geno on a base level presents a very tempting offer considering Square's behavior with this franchise.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, I'm glad to see that everyone has recovered from yesterday but I'm about to say some things that will sting. The bottom line is we expected too much and by that I don't mean Geno being playable. Here's what I mean:

*Geno being in the base roster: Cloud was DLC with Smash 4 so we honestly tripped over our own feet on this one. If Square's most popular character didn't debut in a base roster, why would anyone else from them?

*Geno getting a cool cinematic: Once again, Cloud didn't get one either so why would Geno? It sucks but we should have known.

*Geno in base with Mallow as an assist trophy: this ties into the first point. Did you all notice that Square has no assist trophies in this game? Hell, I didn't even see a single Square Enix spirit. Even with Cloud returning, they couldn't have been bothered to make new character models or even liscense out old official art if they didn't get money for it. If Mallow's in the game, he's either a stage hazard or a part of Geno ala Toad or Kumatora.

So, what does this show. This shows that Square only wants to put in new content if they get paid for it. It was in front of our faces this whole time. This is why Geno even showing up in the Direct is significant.

Square, despite gripping their coin purse, made an exception for Geno. Why? Because most of the work was already done. Liscensing. Done. Functional character skin. Done. At least one music track. Done. What's left on Square Enix's part is creating a stage with assests that Nintendo already had permission to use thanks to the previous liscensing deal and the SNES Classic. The sweetheart deal in all this is that Square is essentially getting paid the $6.00 per purchase for much less work than getting Cloud in SSB4 IF Geno was chosen. That said, Geno on a base level presents a very tempting offer considering Square's behavior with this franchise.
Yeah, it makes much more sense for Square to take up on the offer now that they're getting paid quite a hefty amount. About the cool cinematic, we can only hope for the best and pray that things are different this time. Anyways, seeing everyone recover, cheering up, and getting excited for the game again is really refreshing after the relatively dissapointing direct yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom