• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Wow Im surprise Geno is not in the base I was for sure he was one those characters that was a shoe in Sakurai want him I gotta theory maybe it could be Square Enix fault but we dont know whats going on behind the scene. Im happy with the last two characters why I feel this way because I got my girl Daisy she was my most wanted character I cant ask for more. I got my trio princess wish. But I hope Geno or Sora get confirm for DLC.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
It's also worth mentioning that both Square and Disney are infamously stingy with their respective IPs (looking at you, Cloud)--when you're talking about a character whose ownership is split between both companies, you're looking at a licensing nightmare. Dissidia, a Square produced fighting game, is notably lacking any level of KH representation; I struggle to imagine Sakurai garnering the approval of both Disney and Square for a Sora moveset, design, stage, etc. when Square couldn't even make that happen in their own game.

That being said, we're almost certain to get some level of Square representation for DLC, and I can't imagine that rep being anyone other than Sora or Geno. May the better man/doll win.

Dan

Smash Lord
Hey I know you're just sharing your opinions but I hope you aren't trying to discourage anyone...
Not at all; as I said multiple times, I am a fan of both KH and SMRPG (and like Geno a helluva lot more), but there's no question Sora is more popular than Geno atm, KH3 or not.

The base roster and DLC were decided during a time where Sakurai admitted he wanted Geno in Smash, had the rights to him (and still does), and was making money off a Geno costume. During that same time....no one knew what was going on with Kingdom Hearts 3 besides a few trailers and "In Development" for (at that point) almost 3 years. It was nowhere near "in the spotlight" - it would get 1 or 2 trailers a year, typically of the same few scenes with one or two new short scenes added in.

I love Sora and I love Kingdom Hearts but Sora is nowhere near as likely as Geno. I get you're in a bad and disappointed mood today, because it's literally one of the first things I see every time I visit this thread, but the evidence for Geno continues too up, and we're all here to talk about that and have a nice time.

Sorry you hate Piranha Plant but could you at least try to say 1 positive thing? About anything? Kinda' hard to stop lurking when it feels like every other reply is the same person up in arms because they don't agree with some character choices.
Eh, if you read my posts I've praised Piranha Plant multiple times: horrible choice, but cool-looking character.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
It's also worth mentioning that both Square and Disney are infamously stingy with their respective IPs (looking at you, Cloud)--when you're talking about a character whose ownership is split between both companies, you're looking at a licensing nightmare. Dissidia, a Square produced fighting game, is notably lacking any level of KH representation; I struggle to imagine Sakurai garnering the approval of both Disney and Square for a Sora moveset, design, stage, etc. when Square couldn't even make that happen in their own game.

That being said, we're almost certain to get some level of Square representation for DLC, and I can't imagine that rep being anyone other than Sora or Geno. May the better man/doll win.
As someone that supports both Sora and Geno, I think it's premature to count out the other square reps, some of these are popular in their own right and shouldn't be counted out at all:

2B (NieR Automata)
Dragon Quest rep
Final Fantasy rep (Black Mage, Noctis, Lightning, etc) - note that Final Fantasy series encapsulates all of FF, and not just FF7
Chrono (Chrono Trigger) - a "retro" rep for Square
Agnes (Bravely Default) - one of the popular square series that was on a nintendo system

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Well, guess my new main will be Mii Gunner in Geno outfit if I can use him online. I'll do it for us, the Geno lovers around the world.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm actually going to main Piranha Plant.

For how salty I was at his reveal, he does look super fun.

(I won't be keeping this avatar for long, lol)

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
As someone that supports both Sora and Geno, I think it's premature to count out the other square reps, some of these are popular in their own right and shouldn't be counted out at all:

2B (NieR Automata)
Dragon Quest rep
Final Fantasy rep (Black Mage, Noctis, Lightning, etc) - note that Final Fantasy series encapsulates all of FF, and not just FF7
Agnes (Bravely Default) - one of the popular square series that was on a nintendo system
You're absolutely right. Square has a number of viable candidates, yet part of me wants to argue that, in terms of likelihood of being added, Geno and Sora have an edge on their other choices.

But I definitely can't pretend to understand Sakurai's DLC criteria when a Piranha Plant was just revealed.

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Also worth noting almost every single Mii outfit has representation via fighters or assist trophies. The only exceptions are Lloyd Irving and..... Geno. The Square Mii Outfit that was released alongside only 1 other (Chocobo). Geno got his own splash screen last time. Now we get nothing? I doubt it was forgotten. Since Cloud can't be DLC because "Everyone Is Here," they give them a cut from the Geno pie.

Or they make Chocobo.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Also worth noting almost every single Mii outfit has representation via fighters or assist trophies. The only exceptions are Lloyd Irving and..... Geno. The Square Mii Outfit that was released alongside only 1 other (Chocobo). Geno got his own splash screen last time. Now we get nothing? I doubt it was forgotten. Since Cloud can't be DLC because "Everyone Is Here," they give them a cut from the Geno pie.

Or they make Chocobo.
if they add chocobo instead of geno i will personally send a mean email to Mr. Square Enix himself /s

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I switched back to my old avatar. But I'm blue now.

Blue about today.

I'm really going to main Piranha Plant tho

Last edited:

Asxin

Smash Rookie
guys and girls, yesterday after the direct I was so depress but reading you people's words really pull me up again.

If I give up now, how the hell that I supporse to celebrate with you guys when he make it to dlc?! I just need to keep wishing! Until the day that dream come true...

cybersai

Smash Ace
I feel this is Geno's final chance at Smash. Square is getting a DLC rep, if it's not Geno, then that's probably it. As said Sakurai got the rights to use his likeness for the Mii costume in 2015, expressed wanting to making him playable as far back as Brawl. If the Square rep is any other character than Geno, then not only is he obviously not getting in this Smash (Square won't get two DLC reps), but I think it's time to close the book.

It's been 10+ years since Brawl already. It's either something on Square's end where they don't want him playable over their franchises, or Sakurai just can't make him for whatever reason. This Smash felt like the "end of the road" for a lot of requests dating back to the Brawl era.

I feel this is Geno's final chance to get into Smash. If he really is passed over for the Square rep for DLC, I wouldn't count on him showing up 5+ years later during Smash 6, or Smash 7, etc. It'll be 15+ years at that point.

I feel like this is his last chance. It's do or die time for him. At least his appearance in the spirits mode shows Sakurai still has the rights to use him, so i guess we'll see.

Paperluigi11

Smash Cadet
I'm still going to hold out until the VGA's and hopefully the first dlc release details. I feel like Geno's best chance is to be the first dlc before any other big 3rd party names come along.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

2B (NieR Automata)
Dragon Quest rep
I feel like 2B has no connection to Nintendo and no real reason to be in the game, especially if the game was decided a few years ago and Nier Automata was still pretty early in development. If we can't get Rex as DLC, I'm pretty sure we can rule her out too.

Isn't Chrono stuck in some sort of legal hell with the rest of the the Chrono franchise as a whole that makes the return of the franchise and his character effectively dead with no hope of return?

Dragon Quest is a lot more likely than I think any of the other options. I don't see Sakurai deciding to add a second Final Fantasy character personally, he chose the best one he thought of first to represent the franchise. It could happen, but I don't really expect it when he could bargain for any different IP from them. Dragon Quest is a phenomenon in Japan, and one of the biggest IPs from Japan not currently represented in Smash. It does lack a single notable character I guess, but it would make sense to have one and it's one of the few franchises I'd more willingly allow to take another Square spot.

...If we get Agnes or a Bravely Default character before Geno though, I'll just bang my head into the wall in frustration far more than Piranha Plant could ever make me.

He's got a shot for DLC, but I can't be super supportive of any character moving forward. I just need to be happy with what comes my way and enjoy the game now that the clock has struck midnight on the base roster.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
C’mon, Square, stop bein’ stingy with Geno and release him from his cell. :urg:

But anyway, I ranked reveals based on my own opinion:

1. Simon and Richter
2. King K. Rool
3. Ridley
4. Chrom
5. Dark Samus
6. Daisy
7. Inkling
8. Ken and Incineroar
9. Isabelle
10. Piranha Plant

TheStarlightsFlower

Smash Rookie
If Geno gets in as DLC, when do you think he'll be announced? I could see him being first to drum up hype for DLC, but I could also see Sakurai being a troll and continuing to play with our hearts and making him the final character...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Good morning, children. Have you welcomed your Piranha Overlords yet?
In all seriousness, I'm loving the optimism (or, should I say, relative lack of pessimism) going around in spite of yesterday's events. I'm glad to know mine and many others' words haven't fallen on deaf ears. Our journey does not end here, Geno Gang. If Piranha Plant is any indication, anything is possible, and I know I won't be getting off this ride until we see that Square Enix rep at the end of the tunnel, Geno or no Geno!

Last edited:

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Hey Geno Bros! Just wanted to come by and say that I still support Geno! He still has a chance for DLC, stay optimistic and positive. I am rooting for you folks!

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Hello there Genofans! I am genuinely, genuinely surprised Geno didn't make base roster....However, I have a bit of good-ish news for you.

Us over at the Shantae board are theorizing that being a spirit isn't actually a form of deconfirmation, because apparently Ridley, King K.Rool, Kirby, and Male Wii Fit Trainer all have spirits based on themselves. Knowing this, I want to ask you all not to give up on Geno.

I would also like to make a small bit of a proposition. As someone who personally supported Geno alongside Shantae, I would like to ask that both our communities possibly work together, as we are both well within the same boat in regards to our newcomers being spirits. Not only that, but we both have some real presence in many areas, even outside of Smash boards. Lets get Geno and Shantae in! I also want to do it for a friend who was really, really hoping for Geno. While I havent played SMRPG, I know for sure that Geno deserves to be in the game at this point, and should not e denied any longer.

Remember these 3 things.
1: They are making the DLC from the ground up after release. This means that almost anyone not yet deconfirmed can be in the running. Show your support!
2: If spirits really are meant to be based on trophies, than it is certainly possible a newcomer can exist as one before entering the roster (think Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4)
3: Geno and Shantae are both within the top 3 largest newcomer boards, so we definitely have the reach to make it known we both want to be in the game.
4: During the speculation phase, I remember a lot of overlap between Geno and Shantae supporters. We both supported each other than, and we can certainly continue to do so.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Tough luck Geno fans, but you know, it seems EVERYONE got ****ed. You're not alone.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
1: They are making the DLC from the ground up after release. This means that almost anyone not yet deconfirmed can be in the running. Show your support!
The DLC characters are already decided. All 5 of them. I'm obviously not opposed to showering support for characters we want, but at this point we're not lobbying to get characters into the game - everyone's fate is already decided, we just don't know what they are yet.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
The DLC characters are already decided. All 5 of them. I'm obviously not opposed to showering support for characters we want, but at this point we're not lobbying to get characters into the game - everyone's fate is already decided, we just don't know what they are yet.
While that is what was implied, im still not entirely sure. Either way, getting support will at least help for next time. Don't forget that the roster was finalized for Ultimate in 2015, so we'll have to keep support going for as long as we can. Not saying we need to "eat, breath, sleep, [newcomer]", but we gotta keep showing our support.

Last edited:

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
I’m assuming that every fighter will have a spirit just like every fighter had trophies previously. It makes the most sense to me.

Did anyone else take it that we’ll know everything in the fighter pass when it’s available for purchase? I was a little confused by the wording when it was revealed. I hope we know by the games release or soon after.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I’m assuming that every fighter will have a spirit just like every fighter had trophies previously. It makes the most sense to me.

Did anyone else take it that we’ll know everything in the fighter pass when it’s available for purchase? I was a little confused by the wording when it was revealed. I hope we know by the games release or soon after.
It's available for purchase NOW

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
These are my picks for the DLC fighters (I would have put others, but for now I'm going to assume that assists can't be promoted):
  • Geno - We all know the reasons why Geno is likely. I forgot about how Verg talked about the Square rep, and honestly I have a feeling Geno has a better chance over Sora. Like so many have already pointed out, Sakurai already has the rights to Geno, making the Mii Costume, using the Beware The Forest's Mushrooms, and now being an icon in Ultimate. So it'd be super easy to implement Geno into the game, Sakurai has got the rights. Sora on the other hand would be a pain in the butt because Disney is an obstacle and all that. However, Sora would probably sell more than Geno because of his recent popularity, but I'd like to hope Sakurai would rather please the Geno fans than just make Sora DLC for a huge profit (which then again, Nintendo is a business so who really knows I just feel Geno is more likely). Also, that's not to say Sakurai would put in Sora just for money's sake...
  • Banjo-Kazooie - These guys would be so easy to implement into Smash and would for sure be a welcomed addition for the many Banjo fans out there. Microsoft, or Xbox rather, said they'd be fine with giving Nintendo the rights to Banjo for Smash, so I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't take that opportunity. Banjo needs to return with his old Nintendo pals, he just fits so perfectly with everyone else.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee - I believe it is time to get a new Kirby rep. Recently, a character named Bandana Waddle Dee has been treated as Kirby's fourth player, after Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight. Wouldn't it make perfect sense for BWD to round out the quartet? BWD has a wide variety of creative moves with his spear that can be taken from a number of games, like Star Allies for instance. Also, a Piranha Plant from Mario (a generic enemy) got in, so if BWD is a generic enemy as well like some claim, then he wouldn't be out of place at all. The generic enemy rule has been broken!
  • Tails - Unlike Shadow and Knuckles, Tails is not an assist trophy. Wouldn't it be neat if he joined alongside his buddy Sonic as an echo fighter/semi-clone? His inclusion is welcome sense because Konami got an echo rep, and so did Capcom. It would just be perfect for Sonic, arguably the most well known out of all the third parties, to get an echo. Like I said, Tails can either be an echo or a semi-clone, and he has the moveset potential to be another Isabelle. Honestly, I'd love to see Tails in Smash.
  • Dixie Kong - Dixie is the last fighter I can think of that would truly make this game 'Ultimate'. She's a classic DK character, and joining the DK trio would be great because it means more DK representation (and I think that franchise deserves it). Like Tails, I could see Dixie being either an echo or a semi-clone, but I'm hoping more towards semi because she has very unique moves with her hair. Dixie is another classic Nintendo character that I believe would be a great addition to round out the roster.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Here's something, what do you guys suppose the setup would be for a Geno spirit battle? What (current) stage, character, rules, and effects? I would guess maybe Dreamland, Geno Mii Costume if it is still in this game, powered up smash attacks or energy attacks, stamina battle.

Last edited:

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Keeping up with this thread today has been a chore, so many posts to read through! Surprised at a lot of the positivity though. I'm still hoping for Geno as DLC. It makes more sense and it would be better anyway, cause we'd get Geno with a stage and music. If he does make it in as DLC, I hope they add him to the banner. I mean, I've been supporting Geno since 2006. I don't want to get my hopes up again. I couldn't sleep the night before last in anticipation for the direct, cause I was so excited and I really believed he'd be revealed, and I wanted all that waiting to come to an end. But we just have to wait a bit longer. I think he has a great chance, and I can't really think of any other DLC options he can compete with aside from Banjo, considering the massacre of characters that was the 11/1 direct. I was so shocked by the Piranha Plant though. Like dang, I didn't see that coming. I don't think anyone did!

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Keeping up with this thread today has been a chore, so many posts to read through! Surprised at a lot of the positivity though. I'm still hoping for Geno as DLC. It makes more sense and it would be better anyway, cause we'd get Geno with a stage and music. If he does make it in as DLC, I hope they add him to the banner. I mean, I've been supporting Geno since 2006. I don't want to get my hopes up again. I couldn't sleep the night before last in anticipation for the direct, cause I was so excited and I really believed he'd be revealed, and I wanted all that waiting to come to an end. But we just have to wait a bit longer. I think he has a great chance, and I can't really think of any other DLC options he can compete with aside from Banjo, considering the massacre of characters that was the 11/1 direct. I was so shocked by the Piranha Plant though. Like dang, I didn't see that coming. I don't think anyone did!
I don't think anyone saw it coming at all... I mean, was anyone really expecting the Grinch leak to be entirely proven wrong? That is definitely going to go down as one of the most insane fake leaks ever in Smash history.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
It seems so weird not to have Geno in the base roster given everything he had going for him, maybe Sakurai just didn't have time to finish him. It sounds like the 5 characters are ones that were planned from the start but couldn't get around to making, so maybe for DLC?

Good morning, children. Have you welcomed your Piranha Overlords yet?
In all seriousness, I'm loving the optimism (or, should I say, relative lack of pessimism) going around in spite of yesterday's events. I'm glad to know mine and many others' words haven't fallen on deaf ears. Our journey does not end here, Geno Gang. If Piranha Plant is any indication, anything is possible, and I know I won't be getting off this ride until we see that Square Enix rep at the end of the tunnel, Geno or no Geno!
Lol, I love your icon.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
He hasn't been deconfirmed. They are replacing trophies lol. If this was true then we wouldn't have mewtwo and lucas because they already had trophies of them before they were added.

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
So... Since Mach Rider isn’t as likely anymore, is anyone else wondering what Sakurai bought that mecha toy with the rifle for now? Sure there is a plethora of things the rifle could be used for, but I remember at one point people suggested it could be for Geno.

I doubt it at this point but it’s still an interesting thing to consider.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
dont forget some key differences between geno and sora

- geno is partially a mario character. sora has no relationship with mario or even nintendo in general apart from having games on the console
- geno is a character sakurai has mentioned wanting for 10 years. i dont think sakurai has ever said a word about sora
- as far as polls and everything else goes (ones we have data on at least), geno is way more popular than sora (i dont even think ive even heard a mention of sora on many polls)
- adding on to the last one, geno dlc would sell like hotcakes. mostly just inferring this based on sakurai's comments on how popular geno is in the polls (there arent comments from sakurai on sora, take that as you will)
- negotiating a square character whos appeared on a nintendo game (who they obviously have some rights to use if they were able to publish mario rpg and use geno as a mii costume and profile picture/spirit) would be 10000000 times easier than a disney/square character

a few of these are speculation and just off the top of my head, just wanted to post this because seeing "sora has more of a chance than geno" really doesnt feel truthful to me at all
After all, If Nintendo wouldn't let Disney put Mario in Ralph Breaks the Internet; Why Should Disney let Nintendo add Sora in Smash?!!

I'd actually like a Goomba ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only people who would actually enjoy that, are The Youtubers: Gaijin Goomba, and the Lonely Goomba

Same reason why most of the top picks in the Smash Ballot didn't make it.
Probably because Square enix wanted him to be DLC, So they could get more money out of his inclusion!

yeah i see the k. rool and male wii fit trainer spirits

guess they're never gonna make it in

also this would deconfirm... a lot of characters. and development hasn't started yet on these (though that's probably a lie, but I doubt there's much of a head start)
But they DID make it in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom