• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Inkling, Bayonetta, Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Ridley, K. Rool... That's seven out of the typical top ten. Only big "casualties" from these typical lists are Shovel Knight and Isaac. Banjo is MIA and Geno's a gamer tag.
Yet Geno mattered enoough to not only get a gamer tag but also become a Mii costume. Can't really say the same for characters like Mach Rider and Camilla (both of my other most wanted who have much less popularity).

TBone06

Smash Ace
There's NO WAY they knew the release date for Kingdom hearts 3 - pretty sure Square Enix didn't even know that far back, and you gotta' remember Kingdom Hearts 3 was also delayed.
I think I have to agree with this. I think that's a plus in our books. The fact that the DLC were also determined in 2015 means the same rules applied to the base roster.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Well...I was going to write a long post on just why I'm so dissatisfied with this situation, but suffice it to say, it's not because Geno isn't in. He's got a good shot for DLC, and I'll absolutely buy him and anyone else that gets released who I want to try (not getting the pass, though. Saving 5 dollars isn't worth it.)

But I'm supremely disappointed, and far less enthusiastic about this game in general. I probably won't be around much anymore, barring some celebration when and if Geno DLC is announced. I just don't have the drive to spend another 6 months or more spinning my wheels without info. This speculation season has been hell, and I can't do it anymore.

I'm just going to enjoy what parts of the game I can, and move on. At least for the time being. Maybe my hype will return, possibly when I get to play the game. But for right now, I definitely need a breather.

Been an honor talking with you guys. I'll see you around, hopefully.

P.S. to the detractors of the leaks, and the proponents of the box theory, I give you props for being right. I am a man of my word, if nothing else.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I made an account just to say this: Please add me to the support list.
Not even that upset over Geno not getting in, more upset this direct felt so weak compared to the last one (after waiting 3 months for it) or the E3 presentation (though I will admit the World of Light ending was definitely amazing, the entire rest of the direct was so blah). That said, all would be made right with the world if Geno makes it in as DLC.

Also, to people saying he's a Spirit, his only appearance in the direct appears to be a player icon for online/battle arena. This doesn't hurt his chances at all and actually increases it as he wasn't shown as an Assist Trophy (which is auto-deconfirmation, rip Isaac and Shadow), Spirit (which isn't deconfirmation but can hurt chances), or a Mii Costume (which would mean he would likely be shafted again) [Also if they keep his Mii Costume from Smash 4, that doesn't necessarily hurt, but showing off his costume as a returning thing would surely lower chances].

PS: Some part of me kinda knew he wouldn't be in the base game simply because he's a third party character. Others like Snake/Cloud were already in, so to keep with the "EVERYONE IS HERE" thing, they had to put them in, but with newcomer third party characters, it decreases Nintendo's profits to put them in the base game, so making them DLC makes a lot more sense... Though adding in the Belmonts to the base game is a head-scratcher in that regard.

The fact that the DLC were also determined in 2015
Is that fact?

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
My buddy brought up and showed some interesting points that could foreshadow Geno as DLC.

When Sakurai talks about the 5 character DLC. Remember that awkward pose and he blinked twice? Watch that part closely.

Then watch on YouTube when Geno becomes big... you’ll see the connection.

Also the quote: “Only those who are confident in its value should purchase it.”

So the timing of the awkward pause is suspicious too. I’m fairly confident Sakurai was sending a message

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think I have to agree with this. I think that's a plus in our books. The fact that the DLC were also determined in 2015 means the same rules applied to the base roster.
If this is true, then it's likely that the ballot results will play into the DLC choices in some way. And if that's the case...
C'mon, guys. We're not out of the running yet. Piranha Plant isn't the end for us. All those votes we cast years ago could still mean something.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
My buddy brought up and showed some interesting points that could foreshadow Geno as DLC.

When Sakurai talks about the 5 character DLC. Remember that awkward pose and he blinked twice? Watch that part closely.

So the timing of the awkward pause is suspicious too. I’m fairly confident Sakurai was sending a message
I want to believe... but I'm not going down that rabbit hole again. All that "analyze the background and Sakurai's room" thing was nuts.... So for all I know, Sakurai blinking could just be like a "....Seriously?" kind of a joke

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I feel like that was more of a "Dear god, someone send help, I can't get out of working on this game, the Nintendo Ninjas wont leave me alone... I wonder if I'll ever take a break!"

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
This. This is the quote I've had in my head all day. I really do feel like that could mean something. Like, possibly some of the DLC being aimed towards those that want a character, but missed their shot at base game. It's an interesting quote to say the least.

D

Deleted member

The blinking thing? I don't think it meant anything. The man's tired needs a long break far away from Smash, Nintendo everything. Hope he and the development team go to Hawai, Cuba or somewhere nice and tune everything out for a long while when this is done. They deserve it. It was just him saying yeah can I catch a break people please?

Doubt it meant anything.

But don't give up Geno has a chance we shall not give up now.

Also Piranha Plant proves the man is unpredictable so we can't use many theory's now, I guess don't give up.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I was ging to write a motivational master post on this thread… but I'm pleasantly surprised to see not many people too upset and generally upbeat or respectful here. Now excuse me while I read up on the pages to see if every point I wanted to touched on is addressed.

TBone06

Smash Ace

Yeah, I'm interested in hearing you expand on this, because I'm not seeing the relevance in what he's doing. Do you mind going more in-depth on that?

TBone06

Smash Ace
Also, I know it's been a downer of a day, but we should be proud for going over 10,000 replies in this thread. That's a feat! That shows how tight knit of a group we really are. We should be proud.

Last edited:

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice

As much as I believe and want Geno to be in as DLC, I think he was just trying to be funny with the whole blinking twice... like "Whew, that's a lot of content... I'm never gonna be done!"

As with the dlc bundle line he used I think he's more talking to the people who love Smash so much they'd blindly buy all dlc packs anyways.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I believe Sakurai straight up said Characters in Spirits are characters that couldn't make it in the game during the direct, I think that's pretty blatant it hurts his chances for DLC.
he never said this i re watched the trailer and he said these character were spirits that help the fighters

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
i love how when we thought geno was a spirit, we briefly lost all hope.
then we saw that he was just a profile picture, and we ended up with even more hope than we had before.
that really is just how it be sometimes.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Yeah, looks like TerminalMontage[Jeremy] is taking it about as well as I did.

Dan

Smash Lord
Well...I was going to write a long post on just why I'm so dissatisfied with this situation, but suffice it to say, it's not because Geno isn't in. He's got a good shot for DLC, and I'll absolutely buy him and anyone else that gets released who I want to try (not getting the pass, though. Saving 5 dollars isn't worth it.)

But I'm supremely disappointed, and far less enthusiastic about this game in general. I probably won't be around much anymore, barring some celebration when and if Geno DLC is announced. I just don't have the drive to spend another 6 months or more spinning my wheels without info. This speculation season has been hell, and I can't do it anymore.

I'm just going to enjoy what parts of the game I can, and move on. At least for the time being. Maybe my hype will return, possibly when I get to play the game. But for right now, I definitely need a breather.

Been an honor talking with you guys. I'll see you around, hopefully.

P.S. to the detractors of the leaks, and the proponents of the box theory, I give you props for being right. I am a man of my word, if nothing else.
Yup; I wasn't necessarily upset over Geno not being there, but more so how the whole thing ended (namely Piranha Plant). I would argue even the adventure mode resembled soulless crap KH stuff, but to each his own.

At this point, all I'm really looking forward to is playing some online matches with Ridley and Rool; not horrible, considering I have a lot of gaming to catch up on in general. Unlocking the characters should be fun, and I would have had a helluva a time divvying up playing time between Geno, Ridley, Rool, Mach and Banjo; sad thing is, the Piranha Plant looks like a character I'd play.

Overall, this game really isn't as extravagant as I thought, considering it's just Inkling, Ridley, Rool, Belmont, Isabelle and Incineroar; I guess it's a good balance of givens, fan requests and typical picks.

I made an account just to say this: Please add me to the support list.
Not even that upset over Geno not getting in, more upset this direct felt so weak compared to the last one (after waiting 3 months for it) or the E3 presentation (though I will admit the World of Light ending was definitely amazing, the entire rest of the direct was so blah). That said, all would be made right with the world if Geno makes it in as DLC.

Also, to people saying he's a Spirit, his only appearance in the direct appears to be a player icon for online/battle arena. This doesn't hurt his chances at all and actually increases it as he wasn't shown as an Assist Trophy (which is auto-deconfirmation, rip Isaac and Shadow), Spirit (which isn't deconfirmation but can hurt chances), or a Mii Costume (which would mean he would likely be shafted again) [Also if they keep his Mii Costume from Smash 4, that doesn't necessarily hurt, but showing off his costume as a returning thing would surely lower chances].

PS: Some part of me kinda knew he wouldn't be in the base game simply because he's a third party character. Others like Snake/Cloud were already in, so to keep with the "EVERYONE IS HERE" thing, they had to put them in, but with newcomer third party characters, it decreases Nintendo's profits to put them in the base game, so making them DLC makes a lot more sense... Though adding in the Belmonts to the base game is a head-scratcher in that regard.

Is that fact?
So true; this thing so totally resembled a crap Wii U Direct compared to the godsends of the K. Rool and Ridley ones.

This quote totally sent me the message that I should not at all preorder this considering how horrible this Direct was.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'm just going to expect the worst so that I never get disappointed if he never makes it in.

D

Deleted member

Time to get some rest. Can prepare for the game and fix up my Nintendo Switch just some repairs that have to be dealt with.

Anyway looking forward to the game now.

Can't wait to play I got my princess rescuing plumber, I got my hero with courage that could move a mountain. I got my crazed crocodile who hates apes and loves bananas. I got my tiger wrestler cat looking forward to everything.

So should be good.

Still will hope for Geno all the best.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
WTH is wrong with you all? im not the number 1 fan of geno but i think he is NUMBER 1 dlc im sure

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I updated my signature, vaporwave aesthetic style, im now supporting the grinch gang as well as the other ones i wanted (except for sans and balloon fighter lel)

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I can’t wait to play as my favorite Belmont, so I can beat the characters I don’t like with Vampire Killer. :evil: (And use his Final Smash to put ‘em in a coffin)

I can’t wait to play as the purple space dragon and rake them across the stage as Ridley. :evil:

I can’t wait to body slam them as the pursuer of the Crystal Coconut, King K. Rool. :evil:

But in all seriousness, I hope the best for our Star Boi, it ain’t over till the DLC lady sings. ;)

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
WTH is wrong with you all? im not the number 1 fan of geno but i think he is NUMBER 1 dlc im sure
All the signs are pointing to Sora for DLC right now. And I don't know if they'd select 2 SE characters for DLC.

His chances aren't zero like Isaac's, but I'm just done with being let down. I don't want to keep hoping for Geno, Isaac, etc. only to get Piranha Plants any more.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
All the signs are pointing to Sora for DLC right now
not at all lol. kingdom hearts 3 didnt have a release date at all when the roster and dlc was finalized, sora is a disney character before he's a squenix character, and sakurai has no personal bias towards sora. sora getting in instead of geno would genuinely suprise me

TBone06

Smash Ace
All the signs are pointing to Sora for DLC right now. And I don't know if they'd select 2 SE characters for DLC.

His chances aren't zero like Isaac's, but I'm just done with being let down. I don't want to keep hoping for Geno, Isaac, etc. only to get Piranha Plants any more.
I honestly don't think Sora is as likely as everyone thinks. I think he fits the bill, but that would mean they needed confirmation back in 2015. This means they would have needed to get Cloud's rights for a character, Geno's rights, AND Sora's rights back in 2015 or maybe 2016. I think Sora makes sense now, but I find it very difficult to believe that they would get the rights for three different series'.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
player icon, and the two main leakers (who havent gotten anything wrong about smash so far) are either downright saying it or heavily implying it. id say hes in
I know Vergeben is one saying a SE character, but who is the other leaker? Did he name drop Geno or did he also just say a SE character?

D

Deleted member

Yeah despite everything we still have characters we look forward in the roster Be it veterans or newcomers.

Anyway that all aside.

is there any reason why Sora is so heavily favoured. I'd be happy if he got in cause geez Kingdom Hearts rocks ahem but I rather Geno.

But any reason why people think he's so likely?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Yeah despite everything we still have characters we look forward in the roster Be it veterans or newcomers.

Anyway that all aside.

is there any reason why Sora is so heavily favoured. I'd be happy if he got in cause geez Kingdom Hearts rocks ahem but I rather Geno.

probably because he's one of the only other squenix characters that fans have requested close to as much as geno. doubt its likely since sakurai wouldve had to have gone through square to not only get the rights to cloud for ultimate and 4, but through disney and square for sora in just ultimate, not even mentioning that no one knew when kingdom hearts 3 was going to release at that time

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Something I havent seen mentioned is that not only is it an Icon/Token image for Geno, But that its actually the main image for Arena Battle, making it a permanent fixture representing it. Seems like a rather big thing to just drop.

Dan

Smash Lord
I thought Geno was a lock for base game, and here we are.

not at all lol. kingdom hearts 3 didnt have a release date at all when the roster and dlc was finalized, sora is a disney character before he's a squenix character, and sakurai has no personal bias towards sora. sora getting in instead of geno would genuinely suprise me
Getting a ****ing piranha plant as the last character in the final Smash Direct surprised me as well.

Anyway that all aside.

Because right now Kingdom Hearts 3 (and Kingdom Hearts in general) is huge; Geno is a "who?" character from a 22-year old game. Who would you rather sell individually?

I so happen to be in the predicament of Kingdom Hearts 1 and SMRPG being in my top 3 favorite games of all-time (only trailing SM64), and think Geno would be way more cool than Sora as a character. Like literally the only reason Sora exists is cause Nomura wasn't allowed to use Mickey Mouse. I would honestly rather see King Mickey as a character.

D

Deleted member

Ah I see makes sense.

I still believe in Geno though would be open to Sora.

Okay thanks for clarification.

Dan

Smash Lord
There is a Heartless in KH3 in the Toy Story world that strongly resembles Geno; no clear render of it yet though.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Been mulling it over all day, and I just...yeah. Geno is DLC. If you don't think so, that's fine, but it makes more sense for him to be DLC than base roster, when you think about it.

I don't see Sora happening because when the roster was finalized, Kingdom Hearts 3 wasn't nearly as in the spotlight as it is now. Meanwhile, Sakurai had just released a Mii costume of Geno, and clearly still has right for him, with the icon in the game and all.

Furthermore, considering Verge knows about a Square Enix rep, most likely he will be one of the first DLC characters announced/released.

Until a different SE rep gets in, or all 5 DLC fighters show up and he's missing, I'll remain convinced Geno is on his way.

Honestly guys, just give him some time. In the meantime we're getting a game jam packed with content and fun characters. As much as some people hate 'em, I'm personally excited to play as Piranha Plant - seems like a fun and funny character.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I’m gonna unfortunately assume sora gets in over geno for the rep for now

But I do think geno still has a shot and might be the square rep

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Been mulling it over all day, and I just...yeah. Geno is DLC. If you don't think so, that's fine, but it makes more sense for him to be DLC than base roster, when you think about it.

I don't see Sora happening because when the roster was finalized, Kingdom Hearts 3 wasn't nearly as in the spotlight as it is now. Meanwhile, Sakurai had just released a Mii costume of Geno, and clearly still has right for him, with the icon in the game and all.

Furthermore, considering Verge knows about a Square Enix rep, most likely he will be one of the first DLC characters announced/released.

Until a different SE rep gets in, or all 5 DLC fighters show up and he's missing, I'll remain convinced Geno is on his way.

Honestly guys, just give him some time. In the meantime we're getting a game jam packed with content and fun characters. As much as some people hate 'em, I'm personally excited to play as Piranha Plant - seems like a fun and funny character.
Dude, Sora has been more popular than Geno for the longest time, and Kingdom Hearts 3 has been steadily in the spotlight for the last 5 years.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Dude, Sora has been more popular than Geno for the longest time, and Kingdom Hearts 3 has been steadily in the spotlight for the last 5 years.
Hey I know you're just sharing your opinions but I hope you aren't trying to discourage anyone...

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
The base roster and DLC were decided during a time where Sakurai admitted he wanted Geno in Smash, had the rights to him (and still does), and was making money off a Geno costume. During that same time....no one knew what was going on with Kingdom Hearts 3 besides a few trailers and "In Development" for (at that point) almost 3 years. It was nowhere near "in the spotlight" - it would get 1 or 2 trailers a year, typically of the same few scenes with one or two new short scenes added in.

I love Sora and I love Kingdom Hearts but Sora is nowhere near as likely as Geno. I get you're in a bad and disappointed mood today, because it's literally one of the first things I see every time I visit this thread, but the evidence for Geno continues too up, and we're all here to talk about that and have a nice time.

Sorry you hate Piranha Plant but could you at least try to say 1 positive thing? About anything? Kinda' hard to stop lurking when it feels like every other reply is the same person up in arms because they don't agree with some character choices.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow GenosBros, I think we can all agree that the Grinch leak could give us one of the best roster ever made in any Smash game, but sadly it seems like it's not happening... unless we make it a reality!

Let's all work together to create the Ultimate smash game, Grinchcord is now up and will focus on promoting the chosen ones on the leak!

https://discord.gg/vgvAtW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom